PDA

View Full Version : Coastal, App, GSU....

Milktruck74
November 20th, 2015, 06:24 AM
As I recall App State and GSU were not allowed to make the playoffs their last year in the SoCon.....Why is CCU allowed to play? What is the difference? Seems like it had to do with the number of scholarships in a transition year....did coastal not do that?

ST_Lawson
November 20th, 2015, 06:33 AM
As I recall App State and GSU were not allowed to make the playoffs their last year in the SoCon.....Why is CCU allowed to play? What is the difference? Seems like it had to do with the number of scholarships in a transition year....did coastal not do that?

I think that next year is their transition year. This year they are still full FCS members...FCS scholarships, schedule, eligible for both their conference championship and a playoff spot.

Next year they start moving up and although will likely be playing a decent number of FCS schools to finish out contracts and not screw up scheduling, we'll not be eligible for a playoff spot.

rokamortis
November 20th, 2015, 06:49 AM
I think that next year is their transition year. This year they are still full FCS members...FCS scholarships, schedule, eligible for both their conference championship and a playoff spot.

Next year they start moving up and although will likely be playing a decent number of FCS schools to finish out contracts and not screw up scheduling, we'll not be eligible for a playoff spot.

The difference is timing and conference membership. Coastal didn't get the invite until after the transition declaration deadline had passed for the season. Not sure if we would have wanted to start the transition this year anyway. We will be FCS transitional in 2016 - we will be independent (no conference) and not eligible for any post-season. FBS transitional in 2017, eligible for Sun Belt title but no bowls. Fully FBS in 2018.

So the difference is in App and GS's last year (FCS transition) they were still SoCon while we will be independent.

Milktruck74
November 20th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the clarification. Also, does that mean Coastal is taking two years to Transition where App and GSU took one? or am I reading your explanation wrong?

jmrepak
November 20th, 2015, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the clarification. Also, does that mean Coastal is taking two years to Transition where App and GSU took one? or am I reading your explanation wrong?
GSU and App also took 2 years. Last year was both of their 2nd years in transition. Ga So went 8-0 to win the conference but couldn't go to a bowl.

We aren't considered in transition this year at all because the announcement/invite happened less than 2 weeks from football season so we couldn't have declared early enough. Plus, we needed the extra time to do stadium expansion, so we would have chosen to delay even if it was a little earlier.

walliver
November 20th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Are many (?most - ?all) of the Big South teams still playing Coastal next year? It seems that with 6 OOC spots to fill, scheduling could be difficult without playing CCU.

rokamortis
November 20th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Are many (?most - ?all) of the Big South teams still playing Coastal next year? It seems that with 6 OOC spots to fill, scheduling could be difficult without playing CCU.

So far the only one that we know that isn't playing us is Kennessaw. Liberty, Monmouth,and PC are playing us. GWU and CSU haven't decided yet.
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/college/big-south/coastal-carolina-university/article43037097.html