PDA

View Full Version : Liberty v Coastal - the big south farewell

knucklehead
November 18th, 2015, 11:14 AM
This game is on ESPNEWS tomorrow night at 7 from Williams Stadium. The series stands at 6-6 and the last 2 games have been decided by a blocked field goal. There have been some amazing games in this series and I hope that despite LUs struggles it can end (as conference mates) with one for the ages.

So, we Liberty fans want Coastal's last big south game to go out with a loss...um..er..bang.

Discuss.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2015, 11:34 AM
This ought to be good.

CSU18
November 18th, 2015, 11:40 AM
I'm looking forward to a good game, however, I could see CCU making a statement in this one. I think anytime CCU vs CSU, CCU vs LU, and CSU vs LU is the game, all bets are off (for the most part). This especially holds true in the past 3 seasons, and definitely when CCU and LU line up against eachother. Selfishly want to see LU win to help CSU's case for a seed, but at the end of the day am looking for a good game.

jmrepak
November 18th, 2015, 12:06 PM
This should be a pretty good football game. The commentary I saw from one Flames fan was that they could win by 10 or lose by 30. Selfishly, I want them to lose by as much as possible, but as much as we have to hate Liberty it has been a pretty damn good rivalry. I know we are lined up to play next year at Brooks (I read somewhere that we added that into the agreement to move the game to Thursday), but we will be Independent at that point. Who knows when we'll play each other again. I, personally, think that Liberty has a lot of work to do getting their team back on the right track, but they have the fan base and atmosphere to go FBS. Not sure when it will happen, but I think we'll be playing them again sooner rather than latter.

Now enough with this mushy crap. #BEATLIBERTY #BeatWoodrum #BeatGill #MakeGillsDaughterMad (my personal favorite)

mvemjsunpx
November 18th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Have fun in the Irrelevance Belt, CCU! xsalutex

knucklehead
November 18th, 2015, 12:27 PM
I think next year is in Lynchburg? No?

Anyway, it's been a great rivalry. Liberty will find a way to win.

Liberty will be just fine, thank you. When LU does make FBS, CCU will still be looking for fans to fill the new or rebuilt stadium. Have they figured out where to put it yet?

rokamortis
November 18th, 2015, 12:54 PM

Liberty will be just fine, thank you. When LU does make FBS, CCU will still be looking for fans to fill the new or rebuilt stadium. Have they figured out where to put it yet?

Why would we play 2 years in a row in Lynchburg?

I hear Liberty is looking to fill their stadium for tomorrow night, let alone next year.

MarkCCU
November 18th, 2015, 12:57 PM

Home and Away
Home and Away
Home and Away

See how that works?

knucklehead
November 18th, 2015, 01:03 PM
It is in SC, I stand corrected.

Not a conference game.
Are you really gonna cluck at LU for trying to draw folks to a school night game when you barely fill your puny stadium as it stands? LU has had 2 games this year over 20K and is in the FCS top 5 every year. Where is CCU? You r really want to go there?

jmrepak
November 18th, 2015, 01:05 PM

No doubt, it will take us some time to fill the stands. I don't think we will have a hard time hitting the 15K requirement with the larger visiting crowds we will get, bigger crowds to enjoy the experience and additional suite sales, but filling the 20K that we are going to right now will take a bit. We are adding on to the existing stadium. Ultimately, I think we can get it to between 25-30K, but beyond that will require a move. It also takes a bit more thought into the overall 'product' you're selling to sell that many seats. You can't just be talented on the field. You have to have a good atmosphere to keep 'em coming back. We are in a tourist town with a beach, a large retiree population, have a 50% out of state student body that doesn't care as much about college football (yankees, LOL), have two 120+ year old football programs in driving distance and a 15 year young program. We'll get to the point where we have 25-30k fans in the stands, but it won't be in this decade. At the end of the day, at least they'll be coming to watch FBS football. What subdivision will Liberty be in again? ;)

By the way, I like your free meal vouchers and tickets to faculty if they'll attend tomorrow's game.

The game next year will be in Conway.

...So far, Liberty and Monmouth have committed to coming to Conway next season while Presbyterian will keep its scheduled home game with the Chants, Hogue said...

Read more here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/college/big-south/coastal-carolina-university/article43037097.html#storylink=cpy

rokamortis
November 18th, 2015, 01:05 PM
You left, we agreed to keep the game. See haw that works. Not a conference game.
Are you really gonna cluck at LU for trying to draw folks to a school night game when you barely fill your puny stadium as it stands? LU has had 2 games this year over 20K and is in the FCS top 5 every year. Where is CCU? You r really want to go there?

You left out that is was already in the contract that if either team moved to the FBS that we'd keep the game. See how that works? Well maybe you don't.

Coastal has attendance at or over capacity. About the best we can do now. Or do you think we should fit 20,000 people into a 9,400 seat stadium?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Not looking like a stadium expansion will be happening anytime soon, and IMO the chances of CCU making the FBS minimum average of 15,000 in their first FBS season seems like it will be in serious jeopardy.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/college/big-south/coastal-carolina-university/article44801418.html

Coastal Carolina University has selected an architecture firm for its football stadium expansion project, the decision-makers have decided what they want an enhanced Brooks Stadium to entail and look like, but there still remains one significant unknown before plans can move to the next stage.

Until the architects come back with an estimated cost that the university can take to Columbia for further approval, the school won’t know for sure exactly what will or won’t be possible.

But CCU President David DeCenzo hopes to have those answers shortly after the new year from the recently selected Stubbs Muldrow Herin Architects, who will consult with Heery International, and he says he is eager to begin construction as soon as possible.

As for what I was asking for back in August, any sort of a publication of CCU's plan to go FBS?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/10/9/9353273/sun-belt-conference-realignment-new-mexico-state-eku-coastal-carolina

What did Coastal Carolina tell the Sun Belt to secure its slot?

Repeated Open Records requests to CCU were rejected, as the school claimed no such formal documents existed.

rokamortis
November 18th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Not looking like a stadium expansion will be happening anytime soon, and IMO the chances of CCU making the FBS minimum average of 15,000 in their first FBS season seems like it will be in serious jeopardy.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/college/big-south/coastal-carolina-university/article44801418.html

As for what I was asking for back in August, any sort of a publication of CCU's plan to go FBS?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/10/9/9353273/sun-belt-conference-realignment-new-mexico-state-eku-coastal-carolina

We are expected to start sometime next year. Our first full FBS season isn't until 2018. We have plenty of time.

As for the second part, we believe that this means that Coastal didn't create a formal prospectus document. That if they requested information that w eprovided it, but we didn't create a fancy piece just to provide to the Sun Belt. Partly because it was such short notice and they were the ones that recruited us. We have plenty of existing documents that could highlight our successes and likely used those.

jmrepak
November 18th, 2015, 01:39 PM

How long do you honestly think construction will take? We have erector set stands with brick accent work and the suite building should only take 12-18 months to put in the air including pilings, weather and permit delays and construction. We have plenty of time to finish the expansion. We just recently selected the official architects, but I assure you through talking to my contacts that renderings have been available for quite some time. They've held them very close to the vest though because they aren't ready for public consumption or comment. Plus, we have to go through the official state procurement process so we couldn't do anything to violate those guidelines either. My best estimate, we break ground by late May/early June and finish in the middle to end of 2017. Our first full FBS season is 2018, and I believe we'll hit both the construction deadlines and attendance requirements by then.

I'm more confident in hitting the attendance requirement this year after we had to turn people for the first two games. We had 10,300+ at both of them before ticketing cut off sales. My best guess is that both of those games would have yielded slightly over 11,000 with only 350-500 for the visiting crowd. Those were also back to back home games. The next 2 games were also consecutive (4 total in a row) had way lower than expected attendance, but the first one, Homecoming, occurred during a 100 year storm and the second occurred during a 1,000 year storm. Those were some rough weeks of flooding around here. The last two games had attendance in the mid-8,000's. The fans showed up in reasonable numbers, but the students kind of let us down. Our student body hates day games. If you want to fill the stands the kickoffs need to be at 6 or later.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2015, 01:51 PM
How long do you honestly think construction will take? We have erector set stands with brick accent work and the suite building should only take 12-18 months to put in the air including pilings, weather and permit delays and construction. We have plenty of time to finish the expansion. We just recently selected the official architects, but I assure you through talking to my contacts that renderings have been available for quite some time. They've held them very close to the vest though because they aren't ready for public consumption or comment. Plus, we have to go through the official state procurement process so we couldn't do anything to violate those guidelines either. My best estimate, we break ground by late May/early June and finish in the middle to end of 2017. Our first full FBS season is 2018, and I believe we'll hit both the construction deadlines and attendance requirements by then.

I'm more confident in hitting the attendance requirement this year after we had to turn people for the first two games. We had 10,300+ at both of them before ticketing cut off sales. My best guess is that both of those games would have yielded slightly over 11,000 with only 350-500 for the visiting crowd. Those were also back to back home games. The next 2 games were also consecutive (4 total in a row) had way lower than expected attendance, but the first one, Homecoming, occurred during a 100 year storm and the second occurred during a 1,000 year storm. Those were some rough weeks of flooding around here. The last two games had attendance in the mid-8,000's. The fans showed up in reasonable numbers, but the students kind of let us down. Our student body hates day games. If you want to fill the stands the kickoffs need to be at 6 or later.

By 2018 it will be too late to demonstrate your viability as an FBS program by having even one season of more than 15,000 paid, attending fans in the seats during one of the transitional season, quite likely with construction at some level of "work-in-progress" as the FBS transitional games are going on. Furthermore, it's hard to imagine a big-time opponent coming to renovated Brooks until the new stadium is complete.

In order to have even one season hitting the minimums you'd need construction to be done by kickoff of 2017. Yet since there's no costs associated with it, and thus no budget can be set up for this, nor can it be determined how much more the students will be charged in fees or how much extra appropriations will be required from the state in order to fund everything.

Four months have passed and nothing has been made public on any of this stuff except the hiring of architects to try to figure out how much this will actually cost. Additionally, the president has said publicly that he doesn't know how much the stadium will cost, and SB Nation's FOIA requests have apparently revealed that they "have no documents" of the actual bidding process or the actual pitch made to the Sun Belt, which would have presumably been this plan on how CCU was going to get there.

At some point the bill will come, and there are going to be a lot of furious people. Be prepared.

jmrepak
November 18th, 2015, 01:59 PM
By 2018 it will be too late to demonstrate your viability as an FBS program by having even one season of more than 15,000 paid, attending fans in the seats during one of the transitional season, quite likely with construction at some level of "work-in-progress" as the FBS transitional games are going on. Furthermore, it's hard to imagine a big-time opponent coming to renovated Brooks until the new stadium is complete.

In order to have even one season hitting the minimums you'd need construction to be done by kickoff of 2017. Yet since there's no costs associated with it, and thus no budget can be set up for this, nor can it be determined how much more the students will be charged in fees or how much extra appropriations will be required from the state in order to fund everything.

Four months have passed and nothing has been made public on any of this stuff except the hiring of architects to try to figure out how much this will actually cost. Additionally, the president has said publicly that he doesn't know how much the stadium will cost, and SB Nation's FOIA requests have apparently revealed that they "have no documents" of the actual bidding process or the actual pitch made to the Sun Belt, which would have presumably been this plan on how CCU was going to get there.

At some point the bill will come, and there are going to be a lot of furious people. Be prepared.
The Board and President have already stated they will not make a tuition hike to pay for the renovations. They've also stated that we have $19 million in our reserve accounts set aside to pay for the majority of the project. I think they originally were hoping to pay for the whole project that way, but have realized that this is more of a mid-$20m addition with the suite construction. The rest could be borrowed using construction bonds, which our county has a 1% higher education sales tax to help pay for those construction improvements on campus (since the state refuses to give us a half decent appropriation).

What are you talking about that you want proven viability of FBS success by 2017? Like it or not its happening so it doesn't matter if it occurs during one of the transition years. BTW, a lot of the seating additions are just closing the horseshoe and extending the second level on the home side. Those two changes should be easily doable by 2017 and add 4-6000 seats in that final transition year.

rokamortis
November 18th, 2015, 02:16 PM

That's a lot of fire and brimstone you are spouting. Who will be collecting the bill? And besides you, who are the furious people?

When does the 2-year clock start? 2017 or 2018? Doesn't really matter since it is a 2 year average. And if we don't hit it, guess what? We will just utilize the loophole that plenty of other schools utilize in paid attendance vs actual attendance.

You seem really angry about something that you don't understand.

Milktruck74
November 18th, 2015, 02:34 PM
No doubt, it will take us some time to fill the stands. I don't think we will have a hard time hitting the 15K requirement with the larger visiting crowds we will get, bigger crowds to enjoy the experience and additional suite sales, but filling the 20K that we are going to right now will take a bit. We are adding on to the existing stadium. Ultimately, I think we can get it to between 25-30K, but beyond that will require a move. It also takes a bit more thought into the overall 'product' you're selling to sell that many seats. You can't just be talented on the field. You have to have a good atmosphere to keep 'em coming back. We are in a tourist town with a beach, a large retiree population, have a 50% out of state student body that doesn't care as much about college football (yankees, LOL), have two 120+ year old football programs in driving distance and a 15 year young program. We'll get to the point where we have 25-30k fans in the stands, but it won't be in this decade. At the end of the day, at least they'll be coming to watch FBS football. What subdivision will Liberty be in again? ;)

By the way, I like your free meal vouchers and tickets to faculty if they'll attend tomorrow's game.

The game next year will be in Conway.

Read more here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/college/big-south/coastal-carolina-university/article43037097.html#storylink=cpy

Not trying to be a jerk here, but I don't understand the move to the Sunbelt....I didn't understand GSU or App St going that way either. You statement about LARGER visiting crowds led me to look again at the Sunbelt. The geography is a joke. There are only 3 teams with in a 10 hour drive of CCU. I doubt you are going to get much larger crowds. In the Big South, you had a better chance of pulling opposing Alums from your area. There are probably 10 times the BSC alumni within an hour radius of Conway (I realize part of that is in the water) than Sunbelters. When you Join the Sunbelt, you better be sure you are able to pull from your own folks on a Tuesday night.

SENOREIDA
November 18th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Have fun in the Irrelevance Belt, CCU! xsalutex

Oh we will. I bet you will sleep better, knowing Coastal has no shot of returning to Missoula to embarrass you guys ever again.

KPSUL
November 18th, 2015, 02:42 PM
You left out that is was already in the contract that if either team moved to the FBS that we'd keep the game. See how that works? Well maybe you don't.

Coastal has attendance at or over capacity. About the best we can do now. Or do you think we should fit 20,000 people into a 9,400 seat stadium?

It's easy to sell twice as many ticket as you have seats. UNH has been doing it a couple times a season for years. I'll you have to do is fence off a ginormous field INSIDE the stadium fence and let people drink as much as they want and come and go from the field whenever they want.

I've got tickets to Coastal @ Liberty; looking forward to a good game.

SENOREIDA
November 18th, 2015, 02:45 PM
It's easy to sell twice as many ticket as you have seats. UNH has been doing it a couple times a season for years. I'll you have to do is fence off a ginormous field INSIDE the stadium fence and let people drink as much as they want and come and go from the field whenever they want.

Impossible to do at Coastal, since the stadium sits on a intersection between a highway, and a boulevard. There isn't anywhere really people could stand. If the field house wasn't built, there would still be a grassy area, where that could happen.

rokamortis
November 18th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Not trying to be a jerk here, but I don't understand the move to the Sunbelt....I didn't understand GSU or App St going that way either. You statement about LARGER visiting crowds led me to look again at the Sunbelt. The geography is a joke. There are only 3 teams with in a 10 hour drive of CCU. I doubt you are going to get much larger crowds. In the Big South, you had a better chance of pulling opposing Alums from your area. There are probably 10 times the BSC alumni within an hour radius of Conway (I realize part of that is in the water) than Sunbelters. When you Join the Sunbelt, you better be sure you are able to pull from your own folks on a Tuesday night.

App State and Georgia Southern themselves will bring significant crowds. As far as the others - who knows? The Big South generally didn't travel very well. You would think it would be different but PC, GWU, CSU were close but didn't bring large crowds. OOC I think Furman may have drawn the best when they were good but their crowds have waned as well. SC State though always brought a good crowd.

I like our chances with the conference schools (which will be in a division) and hopefully we'll able to pull in some more "name" schools. Just being different would be an improvement as the home crowd was tired of us playing the Big South schools - so this should revive some interest just because they will be fresh and new.

rokamortis
November 18th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Impossible to do at Coastal, since the stadium sits on a intersection between a highway, and a boulevard. There isn't anywhere really people could stand. If the field house wasn't built, there would still be a grassy area, where that could happen.

Yep, not as easy as one would think. Even if we had the berm it wouldn't be double.

Which games did UNH double attendance? I see for Richmond you had less than 5,000.

jmrepak
November 18th, 2015, 02:52 PM
The conference is being split to an East-West Division setup so those 3 will be on our schedule every year. Additionally, the NMSU and Idaho contracts run out in 2017, and I believe they will look to replace both of them when that time comes. Hopefully, they will go back to EKU or Liberty for one of those slots to add another travel companion. That may have been an off the record deal that we don't have the details on. OOC games will bring larger crowds as well, and Ga Southern and App State have large traveling crowds and we will play them every year (H-A-H-A...). In all fairness, I don't know what kind of crowd GA State brings.

jmrepak
November 18th, 2015, 02:55 PM

As others have said, that isn't really doable. I hope you enjoy the game tomorrow though. I'm looking for a 2 TD win by Coastal, but when it comes to Liberty you never know. I tried to go to the game, but I've got to go to Richmond instead. My house up there isn't selling so I have to do some renovations.

KPSUL
November 18th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Yep, not as easy as one would think. Even if we had the berm it wouldn't be double.

Which games did UNH double attendance? I see for Richmond you had less than 5,000.

1st Home game and homecoming. I think homecoming was 12,000+. While it is true that we frequently sell far more tickets than there are seats, I was just trying to lighten up the CCU - LU dialogue which was getting a little tense. I realize that model would not work just about anywhere but the old Cowell Stadium.

We only have about 5000 seats now, UNH is at the tail end of a major stadium renovation and expansion, probably similar to what you guys are about to experience. By next summer great we'll have a great facility of our needs, but fewer seats than CCU will need. The visitor side bleachers had to be torn down before this season started to make room for construction. It will be just a little sad to see the end of the old "Dungeon".

bodoyle
November 18th, 2015, 05:59 PM

It will be in Conway. ESPN and Liberty wanted the game on Thursday and the only way that CCU agreed to it was Liberty had to agree to come back next year no matter where CCU was and that ESPN would televise it. Now ESPN is waffling on televising it, but Liberty guaranteed they would come to the beach.

knucklehead
November 19th, 2015, 06:10 AM
Game day and Perfect weather tonight. Can't wait.

bodoyle
November 19th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Here's my write-up: http://www.coastalfans.com/ccu-football-week-12-opponent-beatliberty-flames/

rokamortis
November 19th, 2015, 09:40 AM
It will be in Conway. ESPN and Liberty wanted the game on Thursday and the only way that CCU agreed to it was Liberty had to agree to come back next year no matter where CCU was and that ESPN would televise it. Now ESPN is waffling on televising it, but Liberty guaranteed they would come to the beach.

I thought the contract would have included TV for the second year - but perhaps ESPN is too smart for that. Do you know why they are waffling? Also, would that have any affect on the contract?

Big_Fan
November 19th, 2015, 09:44 AM
every time I see this thread title, I read it 'big south falwell.'

rokamortis
November 19th, 2015, 09:45 AM
every time I see this thread title, I read it 'big south falwell.'

That's half true

walliver
November 19th, 2015, 12:52 PM
I thought the contract would have included TV for the second year - but perhaps ESPN is too smart for that. Do you know why they are waffling? Also, would that have any affect on the contract?

Why would ESPN want to televise a game between a Big South FCS team and a transitional FCS team? Next year's game will be completely irrelevant to CCU's non-existent post-season opportunity, and would only affect Liberty's possible at-large chances. It will be a game of little interest to a general audience. Given a choice, next year's Liberty - CSU game would be of more interest. Swan Song Years are always awkward.

The only way I can see ESPN wanting to televise this game next year is if someone pays them well. The Big South has no incentive to do that next year.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Why would ESPN want to televise a game between a Big South FCS team and a transitional FCS team? Next year's game will be completely irrelevant to CCU's non-existent post-season opportunity, and would only affect Liberty's possible at-large chances. It will be a game of little interest to a general audience. Given a choice, next year's Liberty - CSU game would be of more interest. Swan Song Years are always awkward.

The only way I can see ESPN wanting to televise this game next year is if someone pays them well. The Big South has no incentive to do that next year.

They would if the game is at Williams Stadium....

SENOREIDA
November 19th, 2015, 05:57 PM
Alright, it's time for kickoff. Baptist vs Sinners

NDSUFREAK
November 19th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Any other options to watch other than ESPN News? My cable package doesn't have ESPN News and because of that I won't be able to watch ESPN3...

SENOREIDA
November 19th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Any other options to watch other than ESPN News? My cable package doesn't have ESPN News and because of that I won't be able to watch ESPN3...
A poster on coastal fans said you can sign up for a free trial on slingtv.com and sign up for the sports pass, and you can unsubscribe before 7 days and you won't be charged

SENOREIDA
November 19th, 2015, 06:14 PM
7-0 Liberty. 9:00 left in the 1st

NDSUFREAK
November 19th, 2015, 06:26 PM
A poster on coastal fans said you can sign up for a free trial on slingtv.com and sign up for the sports pass, and you can unsubscribe before 7 days and you won't be charged

Thanks!

SENOREIDA
November 19th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Touchdown Chants
7-6 Liberty after a failed 2point conversion

BisonFan02
November 19th, 2015, 06:44 PM
No kicker? Why go for 2?

JayJ79
November 19th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Touchdown Chants
7-6 Liberty after a failed 2point conversion

do they not have a kicker?

I was hoping the Liberty player would have ran it to the opposite endzone (for 2 pts) after picking up the ball.
not b/c I'm cheering for Liberty (I honestly don't care one way or the other), just b/c you rarely see that occur.

SENOREIDA
November 19th, 2015, 06:52 PM
do they not have a kicker?

I was hoping the Liberty player would have ran it to the opposite endzone (for 2 pts) after picking up the ball.
not b/c I'm cheering for Liberty (I honestly don't care one way or the other), just b/c you rarely see that occur.We have a kicker, it was a trick play we have been running the last couple weeks. Quarterback bobbled the ball.

BisonFan02
November 19th, 2015, 06:54 PM
We have a kicker, it was a trick play we have been running the last couple weeks. Quarterback bobbled the ball.

Oy.....oh well. I would have taken the 1 and tied it up. We'll see how things go later on.

Daytripper
November 19th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Henderson's got wheels...

BisonFan02
November 19th, 2015, 06:59 PM
Someone go punch the guys blowing those vuvuzelas.... xlolx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P40TP1ughek

SENOREIDA
November 19th, 2015, 07:00 PM
De'Angelo Henderson with a monster run. 71 yards!

- - - Updated - - -

And we complete the 2 point conversion, so that cancels out the first blunder. 14-7 Chants

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Yes! It is beyond annoying.

hebmskebm
November 19th, 2015, 07:01 PM
Impressive acceleration by Henderson.

Also, Moglia reminds me of Belichick, both in appearance and in the way he handles himself on the sideline.

tribefan40
November 19th, 2015, 07:06 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P40TP1ughek

About six rows down from us. Seriously considering it.

Catsfan90
November 19th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Anyone else want to punch the horn guy?

SENOREIDA
November 19th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Please call campus security, it is more deserving than the Ole Miss fan who dialed 911 to have Arkansas's quarterback removed from the stadium last weekend

JayJ79
November 19th, 2015, 07:20 PM

ranks right up there with cowbells

BisonFan02
November 19th, 2015, 07:22 PM

For all that is right and holy.....PLEASE....OH PLEASE....do it. It is making it tough to watch.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2015, 07:46 PM
I muted my TV a while ago, much better now.

....of course everything the announcers are talking about are now "mute" points ***ba-dum chaaaaaaa***

SENOREIDA
November 19th, 2015, 07:47 PM
And we are tied at 14

BisonFan02
November 19th, 2015, 09:07 PM
Field rush? Really? Good game though Liberty!

NDSUtk
November 19th, 2015, 09:07 PM
Congrats to Liberty! That will stop the discussion of Coastal getting a seed in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thundar
November 19th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Congrats to Liberty! That will stop the discussion of Coastal getting a seed in my opinion.

losing to a 5-5 team in the last game of the year...yeah that's a terrible loss for a team supposed to be so good. bye bye seed dreams hello opening round

Bisonwinagn
November 19th, 2015, 09:15 PM

Way to go out on a limb!!!

NDSUtk
November 19th, 2015, 09:16 PM
Way to go out on a limb!!!
If it was NDSU, we would still have fans trying to make a case for a seed. You know we would :)

catamount man
November 19th, 2015, 09:21 PM
Good win Flames!

CSU18
November 19th, 2015, 09:23 PM
Congrats to LU and thanks for the help. Hopefully that is enough to get CSU a seed.

SENOREIDA
November 19th, 2015, 09:23 PM
Field rush? Really? Good game though Liberty!
It's their Super Bowl. They created this rivalry, and their marketing department depends on this game. Only shirts the give out at sporting events are "Beat Coastal" t-shirts.

dewey
November 19th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Congratulations Liberty!

Dewey

CSU18
November 19th, 2015, 09:27 PM
It's their Super Bowl. They created this rivalry, and their marketing department depends on this game. Only shirts the give out at sporting events are "Beat Coastal" t-shirts.

Don't think I'd go that far. They've been just as impressive in the history of the Big South as CCU. Seems like every year the league champion has come down to this matchup - pretty sure they can print any t-shirts they want with the $$ they have.

rokamortis
November 19th, 2015, 09:28 PM
Maybe we'll get to go out to Dayton ....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2015, 09:28 PM
CCU likely to hit the road now?

rokamortis
November 19th, 2015, 09:29 PM
CCU likely to hit the road now?

Who knows? Its based on bid.

CSU18
November 19th, 2015, 09:30 PM
My guess is CCU will be at home unless they pull someone with REAL deep pockets first round.

BisonTru
November 19th, 2015, 09:31 PM
Maybe we'll get to go out to Dayton ....

You're playing The Citadel and then you're off to Chuck South. Book it. Any idea if you guys can/will out bid The Cid?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2015, 09:32 PM
My guess is CCU will be at home unless they pull someone with REAL deep pockets first round.

My first thought was CCU @ Chatty....

I could also see them out bidding Richmond in a potential match-up...

jmrepak
November 19th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Don't think I'd go that far. They've been just as impressive in the history of the Big South as CCU. Seems like every year the league champion has come down to this matchup - pretty sure they can print any t-shirts they want with the $$ they have.
I don't know how familiar you are with this rivalry but he is dead on. Liberty and Coastal compete in all things not just football. The beat coastal rivalry is across-the-board and has a lot of marketing behind it. It's actually been a pretty good one other than a few of the games getting to chippy. This is about the Sasser cup and the fact that coastal and liberty are the only ones to have won it in almost 20 years, and we we the first to knock them off in '03.

This game helps you a ton. I hope your effort against Alabama doesn't hurt your seeding. We are pretty sure it did ours 2 years ago. Hopefully the Big South still locks a seed. My guess is 7 or 8, but it's still impressive to have a seed in your first appearance.

jmrepak
November 19th, 2015, 09:57 PM
You're playing The Citadel and then you're off to Chuck South. Book it. Any idea if you guys can/will out bid The Cid?
I tend to agree with this. If Citadel was out then Chatty or VA make sense, but if the NCAA actually cares about regionalization then this match up is the only thing that makes sense as well as that game feeding a seeded Chuck South. I think we could have outbid the Citadel, but we may have gone in close to the minimum thinking that we would get a seed. At this point I don't know, but my guess is these games will be in Myrtle and then Charleston and not Charleston and Charleston.

BisonTru
November 19th, 2015, 10:04 PM
I tend to agree with this. If Citadel was out then Chatty or VA make sense, but if the NCAA actually cares about regionalization then this match up is the only thing that makes sense as well as that game feeding a seeded Chuck South. I think we could have outbid the Citadel, but we may have gone in close to the minimum thinking that we would get a seed. At this point I don't know, but my guess is these games will be in Myrtle and then Charleston and not Charleston and Charleston.

You can bid differently in each round so you can place an attractive bid in the first round and then minimums from there on out. Really, that's what every school should do. However, you wouldn't be the first school that forgot to place a bid.

knucklehead
November 19th, 2015, 11:41 PM

Sour grapes much, One of the best atmospheres in FCS period. And we now lead you chickens 7-6 in the series. Does CCU have a marketing dept?

rokamortis
November 20th, 2015, 05:34 AM
You can bid differently in each round so you can place an attractive bid in the first round and then minimums from there on out. Really, that's what every school should do. However, you wouldn't be the first school that forgot to place a bid.

We definitely placed a bid - what we don't know is the amount or how competitive it would have been to another school. Projecting what the Citadel would do is interesting - I think they'd want to try to get a game over any of the near by schools and they have the largest stadium, but I've heard that their athletics department doesn't have that much money and not sure they would spend big bucks for the first round where most all schools have attendance issues.

rokamortis
November 20th, 2015, 05:40 AM
If it was NDSU, we would still have fans trying to make a case for a seed. You know we would :)

Hey - good idea. We'll be 9-2 with a loss to a top 10 and playoff team and a bad loss. I think we are in!!!!

xeyebrowx

CID1990
November 20th, 2015, 05:46 AM
We definitely placed a bid - what we don't know is the amount or how competitive it would have been to another school. Projecting what the Citadel would do is interesting - I think they'd want to try to get a game over any of the near by schools and they have the largest stadium, but I've heard that their athletics department doesn't have that much money and not sure they would spend big bucks for the first round where most all schools have attendance issues.

Our AD has stated that we have placed a higher than minimum bid. Outside of that, no idea what it was.

CID1990
November 20th, 2015, 05:49 AM

CCU is a bit better resourced, but the bids are already in so I think it will come down to whether or not CCU sandbagged, expecting a seed. There is no question they can afford to out bid us but the question is whether they did or not.

rokamortis
November 20th, 2015, 06:22 AM
CCU is a bit better resourced, but the bids are already in so I think it will come down to whether or not CCU sandbagged, expecting a seed. There is no question they can afford to out bid us but the question is whether they did or not.

I think a lot of it depends on what affect JMU's bid last year. We know they bid over $200K for the first round - lost money but donors supposedly helped subsidize. I think most successful first round bids have been in the $50-100K area, so we'll just have to see if JMU's bid last year spooked anyone else to increase their bid.

I think if the two teams played each other we are probably looking at a similar crowd at either stadium. The attendance will be down due to the holiday and break.

4bidn1
November 20th, 2015, 07:00 AM
Hey - good idea. We'll be 9-2 with a loss to a top 10 and playoff team and a bad loss. I think we are in!!!!

xeyebrowx

That's funny was it really a bad loss, or loss to a team with a bad record, BIG DIFFERENCE my friend. Its like you want to lump LU in there like they are a bottom feeder in the league.

jmrepak
November 20th, 2015, 07:05 AM
That's funny was it really a bad loss, or loss to a team with a bad record, BIG DIFFERENCE my friend. Its like you want to lump LU in there like they are a bottom feeder in the league.
You're right that there is a big difference (UNI), but if the losses that team already has are to bad teams then it is a bad loss. Losing to Monmouth and GWU are terrible losses and make them a bad team. We had a bad loss.

rokamortis
November 20th, 2015, 07:05 AM

It was a joke - comparing with the other claims from other 9-2 schools.

It really wasn't a dig at LU - but I don't know how many others on here will consider LU a good team with a bad record. I wish they would.

rokamortis
November 20th, 2015, 07:09 AM

El Cid actually has better resources in comparison to school size - they just don't spend as much money on athletics. They get just a little under what Coastal gets from state appropriations for a school a third of the size, they have a high percentage of out of state students (slightly less than Coastal), have way more private donations, and an older alumni base used to giving. It just depends if El Cid chooses to make a good bid or not.

OSBF
November 20th, 2015, 07:45 AM
That was really a fun game to watch, both QB's made some great throws into tight coverage in the 4th.

That LU backwards over the head diving interception was sick.

Good football.

knucklehead
November 20th, 2015, 07:49 AM
That was really a fun game to watch, both QB's made some great throws into tight coverage in the 4th.

Good football.

The int was apparently the #1 SCTOP10 play last night. What an amazing atmosphere and great game last night. Felt great to see LU give the Chickens a nice Big South parting gift. So glad it was on National TV. So much fun.

OSBF
November 20th, 2015, 08:11 AM
The int was apparently the #1 SCTOP10 play last night. What an amazing atmosphere and great game last night. Felt great to see LU give the Chickens a nice Big South parting gift. So glad it was on National TV. So much fun.

Funny thing was I was sitting there on the coach watching the game with the GF. Both QB's were throwing into such tight windows and hitting the receivers right on the hands, and she commented wish Roberson could make those throws...............

He certainly is a weapon and can do things neither of those guys can do, but he can't jam the ball through a tiny window like that and hit a receiver on the hands, in stride.

It was fun to watch those guys do their thing. Both making some great throws.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2015, 08:31 AM
That was a bad loss for CCU moreso based on timing than on the quality of the opponent. Liberty looked like a pretty darn good team last night playing in front of a big home crowd and very motivated to win despite the fact that they are essentially eliminated from the postseason. Unfortunately for CCU the game was on national TV with nothing else to compete with (from an FCS perspective) and their last game until selection day.

rokamortis
November 20th, 2015, 08:39 AM
That was a bad loss for CCU moreso based on timing than on the quality of the opponent. Liberty looked like a pretty darn good team last night playing in front of a big home crowd and very motivated to win despite the fact that they are essentially eliminated from the postseason. Unfortunately for CCU the game was on national TV with nothing else to compete with (from an FCS perspective) and their last game until selection day.

Fair or not, the committee doesn't like late season losses.

AmsterBison
November 20th, 2015, 08:49 AM

Good football.

Good football, good atmosphere... hats off to LU's student section.

BTW, how frequently does Liberty run that play where all the OL drop to the ground and roll forward? Is that a Big South thing? Seems like CCU did something like that too, and those are the only times I've noticed it.

Even though they lost, CCU looked fairly impressive.

OSBF
November 20th, 2015, 09:02 AM
It was a good showing of the FCS "brand" in front of a national audience.

Anyone that tuned in was treated to a REALLY good football game

Nice exposure for FCS.

rokamortis
November 20th, 2015, 10:07 AM
I appreciate you guys thinking it was a good game. Very frustrating form our end. We seemed to get away from our traditional offense - I'm sure much of that was Liberty's D, but we should have been able to execute better on Offense.

Terry2889
November 20th, 2015, 11:50 AM
I appreciate you guys thinking it was a good game. Very frustrating form our end. We seemed to get away from our traditional offense - I'm sure much of that was Liberty's D, but we should have been able to execute better on Offense.

I thought Liberty's consistent pressure up the middle seriously hindered your quarterback's effectiveness. Watching that game reminded me of the UNH-Richmond game. I couldn't understand why Liberty didn't just line up in double tight and pound the ball the whole game when Coastal showed no ability to stop it. Same thing happened with Richmond vs. UNH. I feel as though sometimes these coordinators outthink themselves.

rokamortis
November 20th, 2015, 12:15 PM
I thought Liberty's consistent pressure up the middle seriously hindered your quarterback's effectiveness. Watching that game reminded me of the UNH-Richmond game. I couldn't understand why Liberty didn't just line up in double tight and pound the ball the whole game when Coastal showed no ability to stop it. Same thing happened with Richmond vs. UNH. I feel as though sometimes these coordinators outthink themselves.

That's definitely how many of us feel about last night.

4bidn1
November 20th, 2015, 12:29 PM
and sometimes I think he does outthink himself

Schism55
November 20th, 2015, 12:47 PM
I thought Liberty's consistent pressure up the middle seriously hindered your quarterback's effectiveness. Watching that game reminded me of the UNH-Richmond game. I couldn't understand why Liberty didn't just line up in double tight and pound the ball the whole game when Coastal showed no ability to stop it. Same thing happened with Richmond vs. UNH. I feel as though sometimes these coordinators out think themselves.

This. Second time I've seen Coastal play this year and they seem very susceptible to the power run.

OSBF
November 20th, 2015, 12:55 PM
This. Second time I've seen Coastal play this year and they seem very susceptible to the power run.

And that surprises me, on TV they look good-n-beefy up front, LB's seem to flow to the ball well

In fact, I was noticing how active the LB's were, and thinking to myself that if I was the LU OC I'd throw a reverse or double reverse at 'em just to see what happens

Schism55
November 20th, 2015, 01:20 PM
Their middle LB is definitely a player. Just noticed that I think they would have real trouble with a team that uses 2 TE's and a FB. Beauty of FCS is we'll find out shortly ;)

SENOREIDA
November 20th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Which is odd, because our biggest flaw this year as been in the secondary. We have been doing a decent job stopping the running game.

Schism55
November 20th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Guess I should preface that the other game I saw was against Presbyterian. Wouldn't fault Coastal fans for wanting to forget that dumpster fire of a game ;)

rokamortis
November 20th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Guess I should preface that the other game I saw was against Presbyterian. Wouldn't fault Coastal fans for wanting to forget that dumpster fire of a game ;)

PC is a much better team than their record indicates. I'm not saying they are the next NDSU but they've made most of their games closer than expected. They could win the league next year.

Schism55
November 20th, 2015, 02:16 PM
You would have a better gauge on PC than I would. But their record (1-9) and their Sagarin ranking (221) suggest you pump the brakes on that comment haha

rokamortis
November 20th, 2015, 02:36 PM
You would have a better gauge on PC than I would. But their record (1-9) and their Sagarin ranking (221) suggest you pump the brakes on that comment haha

That's why you can't just look at records and ratings. There is no denying the fact that they are 1-9, but look at some of those games. CSU 10-7, Liberty 21-13, Coastal 24-17. They played the top 3 programs in the conference very tough. That's after their starting QB left the team during the off-season. So I think next year they could make some serious noise.

PantherRob82
November 20th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Funny thing was I was sitting there on the coach watching the game with the GF.

I thought you didn't like Spack? Now you're watching games on his lap? xlolx

OSBF
November 20th, 2015, 03:05 PM
I thought you didn't like Spack? Now you're watching games on his lap? xlolx

OMG that's freakin' hilarious

Talk about the classical Freudian slip there it is

CSU18
November 20th, 2015, 03:19 PM
PC is a much better team than their record indicates. I'm not saying they are the next NDSU but they've made most of their games closer than expected. They could win the league next year.

I'd agree with some of this and disagree with some of it. Yes, PC is much better than their record and ratings. Winning the league next year might be a stretch. You also failed to mention that while Chatty beat them, it definitely wasn't a lopsided loss (although I didn't see the game, so some may be a better judge of that last statement).

JSUSoutherner
November 20th, 2015, 04:19 PM
That's why you can't just look at records and ratings. There is no denying the fact that they are 1-9, but look at some of those games. CSU 10-7, Liberty 21-13, Coastal 24-17. They played the top 3 programs in the conference very tough. That's after their starting QB left the team during the off-season. So I think next year they could make some serious noise. I'm all for not looking at the records because some teams may be like Mercer (good team despite trash record) but going from 1-9 to winning the league in a season just because they played games close doesn't really make sense. That's like saying YSU is going to be MVC champions next year because they played NDSU close (granted YSU isn't 1-9 either). Heck you could even take that as saying because UT-Martin was close with us that they will win the Championship next year. I highly doubt it. Going 0-6 (they won't beat Kennesaw) to being 6-0 or 5-1 doesn't happen. If they win the Big South next year I will video myself eating this and post it on AGS.
http://www.sz-wholesaler.com/userimg/814/823sw1/garden-hose-blue-439.jpg
I know this isn't the right "blue hose" but I'm not one to stray from a challenge. xsmiley_wix

I'm not actually going to eat the hose if they win.

catamount man
November 20th, 2015, 04:53 PM
That's why you can't just look at records and ratings. There is no denying the fact that they are 1-9, but look at some of those games. CSU 10-7, Liberty 21-13, Coastal 24-17. They played the top 3 programs in the conference very tough. That's after their starting QB left the team during the off-season. So I think next year they could make some serious noise.

Any word that PC is looking to replace Nichols and his staff? Despite the hard fought games, his overall record in Clinton is atrocious. GO CATS!

rokamortis
November 20th, 2015, 05:26 PM
Any word that PC is looking to replace Nichols and his staff? Despite the hard fought games, his overall record in Clinton is atrocious. GO CATS!
I don't think so - I think they feel like they have the right guy for them. He's doing a lot with not much.

rokamortis
November 20th, 2015, 05:29 PM
I'm all for not looking at the records because some teams may be like Mercer (good team despite trash record) but going from 1-9 to winning the league in a season just because they played games close doesn't really make sense. That's like saying YSU is going to be MVC champions next year because they played NDSU close (granted YSU isn't 1-9 either). Heck you could even take that as saying because UT-Martin was close with us that they will win the Championship next year. I highly doubt it. Going 0-6 (they won't beat Kennesaw) to being 6-0 or 5-1 doesn't happen. If they win the Big South next year I will video myself eating this and post it on AGS.
http://www.sz-wholesaler.com/userimg/814/823sw1/garden-hose-blue-439.jpg
I know this isn't the right "blue hose" but I'm not one to stray from a challenge. xsmiley_wix

I'm not actually going to eat the hose if they win.

1) I said could - not would. They are competitive now and another year could make them stronger.
2) you assume that I'm only basing it on close games.
3) Coastal is leaving the Big South, LU and CSU will lose a lot of seniors. Next year is actually good timing for them to make a move.

JSUSoutherner
November 20th, 2015, 05:38 PM
1.) Fair enough. They could. My opinion still stands. I still think it's doubtful.
2.) Well when I posted the only things you had mentioned at the time were the close games. You make a fair case with point 3.
3.) Fair point. They may make a move, but LU and CSU may get some beasts of recruits. Anything can happen, but yeah I see where you're coming from now.