PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 11-16

JALMOND
November 17th, 2015, 11:14 PM
Heading in to the last week of the season, the rivalry week, that makes those teams with nothing to play for, start playing tough, trying to ruin the season for their rivals. With many spots up for grabs in the Big Sky, this is setting up to be quite the week. Heading into the last week of conference games, here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion only and all open for discussion.

1. Northern Arizona (2)---Last week beat Sacramento State at home 49-35, this week at Southern Utah---Someone must have lit a fire under the Lumberjacks around the middle of October because ever since then, they've been playing excellent football on both sides of the line. No late season swoon, they are on the verge of going to the playoffs, something that seemed like a pipe dream early on.

2. Portland State (3)---Last week beat Southern Utah at home 24-23, this week at Eastern Washington---Funny how the ball has been bouncing for the Vikings this season as a desperate try by Southern Utah for the win just fell outside their fingertips, almost guaranteeing a trip to the playoffs for the Vikings. Many things within their grasp this weekend as they try for a possible seed and a home playoff game.

3. Southern Utah (1)---Last week lost at Portland State 24-23, this week Northern Arizona at home---One has to admire the courage the Thunderbirds showed in going for the win, the title and the playoffs late in their game last week. But did they lose much more than that? They now may have to win this weekend for any shot at the playoffs, although keeping them out would be a shame.

4. Montana (6)---Last week beat Eastern Washington at home 57-16, this week at Montana State---It wasn't too long ago that the Grizzlies were given up for dead, and with their impressive win last weekend, they are right back in the playoff picture. They still may need some help, but a strong win this weekend would give the committee something to ponder about including them.

5. North Dakota (7)---Last week beat Northern Colorado at home 45-14, this week at Cal Poly---The Dakotans have picked a good time to find their offense and now they are trying to get back in the playoff hunt. Their offense has come to life and their defense is still shutting teams down. Yet, even with a win this weekend, they still need a lot of help and may not make it.

6. Weber State (5)---Last week bye, this week Idaho State at home---While everyone else was gearing up for this weekend around the conference, the Wildcats drew the short straw and stayed home and rested. No playoffs in their near future but a good season nonetheless that could only get better with a win this weekend over their struggling rivals would do wonders for next season.

7. Eastern Washington (4)---Last weak lost at Montana 57-16, this week Portland State at home---The Eagles had a great opportunity to make a statement, stay relevant in the playoff chase, and knock Montana out of the playoff picture. But, before they knew what hit them, they were quite a ways down. Still a win this weekend and a whole lot of help would still put the Eagles in the playoffs.

8. Montana State (10)---Last week beat Idaho State at home 44-20, this week Montana at home---With nothing left to play for this season, the Bobcats showed they won't go down quietly with a strong statement last week. Now a chance to keep Montana at home during the playoffs. Would they ease up and let Montana have a shot at the playoffs? Nah!!

9. Cal Poly (9)---Last week won at UC-Davis 55-38, this week North Dakota at home---The Mustangs have been practicing this spoiler role and hope to have it down pretty well. Their offense seems to be hitting on all cylinders. They have one more chance to play spoiler and push North Dakota totally out of the playoff picture, all the while building momentum for next year.

10. Northern Colorado (8)---Last week lost at North Dakota 45-14, this week Abilene Christian (Southland) at home---Not really how the Bears were hoping to end their conference season, but they do finish better than what most people expected from them. And with a win against Portland State and a close loss to Eastern Washington, they should be ready next year to make some noise.

11. Idaho State (11)---Last week lost at Montana State 44-20 this week at Weber State---Up and down, hot and cold, playing the Bengals one never knows which team they will get. They have showed flashes of greatness, yet more often have shown serious lapses. Their season will end this weekend, will they be up for the game or anxious to finish the season. Who knows.

12. Sacramento State (12)---Last week, lost at Northern Arizona 49-35, this week UC-Davis at home---Once again, the Hornets could not get anything going and fell on their face. They were able to generate some offense but their defense could not stop anyone. They finally get to play their rival, a team that may actually be worse than they are, which may be hard to imagine.

13. UC-Davis (13)---Last week lost to Cal Poly at home 55-38, this week at Sacramento State---The good news for the Aggies is that last week they found their offense (sort of). The bad news is their defense, their strong point, could not shut down Cal Poly. That in itself does not bode well, although they play at team that may be worse than they are, which may be hard to imagine.

RECAP: 1-3 at the top, 4 closing in, 5 trying to keep up, 6-7 holding steady, 8-9 losing traction, 10 falling, 11-13 off the pace.

cpalum
November 18th, 2015, 12:10 PM
You do a great job with this but I guess I'd put Weber at 8 and swap NAU and PSU....otherwise looks good to me

tomq04
November 18th, 2015, 02:13 PM
I won't be shocked with an EWU win, and a Montana L (Mt. St is wanting to salvage this season). That creates a huge mess in the Sky.

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2015, 02:17 PM
I won't be shocked with an EWU win, and a Montana L (Mt. St is wanting to salvage this season). That creates a huge mess in the Sky.

IMO, the mess is a Montana win, EWU win, NAU win, and UND win. Now that is big ol' mess.

jacksfan29
November 18th, 2015, 02:24 PM
As a BSC "outsider" I get what your doing, and believe me I understand not wanting to jinx your team but there is no way NAU is above PSU.

In fact, I would put it 1) PSU, 2) Montana, 3) NAU/SUU tie

Heading in to the last week of the season, the rivalry week, that makes those teams with nothing to play for, start playing tough, trying to ruin the season for their rivals. With many spots up for grabs in the Big Sky, this is setting up to be quite the week. Heading into the last week of conference games, here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion only and all open for discussion.

1. Northern Arizona (2)---Last week beat Sacramento State at home 49-35, this week at Southern Utah---Someone must have lit a fire under the Lumberjacks around the middle of October because ever since then, they've been playing excellent football on both sides of the line. No late season swoon, they are on the verge of going to the playoffs, something that seemed like a pipe dream early on.

2. Portland State (3)---Last week beat Southern Utah at home 24-23, this week at Eastern Washington---Funny how the ball has been bouncing for the Vikings this season as a desperate try by Southern Utah for the win just fell outside their fingertips, almost guaranteeing a trip to the playoffs for the Vikings. Many things within their grasp this weekend as they try for a possible seed and a home playoff game.

RECAP: 1-3 at the top, 4 closing in, 5 trying to keep up, 6-7 holding steady, 8-9 losing traction, 10 falling, 11-13 off the pace.

UNDColorado
November 18th, 2015, 03:57 PM
As a BSC "outsider" I get what your doing, and believe me I understand not wanting to jinx your team but there is no way NAU is above PSU.

I don't want him to jinx PSU either :D

Peems
November 18th, 2015, 05:44 PM
NAU will win, I honestly believe PSU/EWU is a tossup, nothing but a gut feeling, because all rationale and stats say it will be a huge PSU win.

SDFS
November 18th, 2015, 06:05 PM
I would go....

1) PSU/UM - Portland has been a balanced team on offense and played good defense. Montana has the QB back.
2) NAU/UND
3) SUU - good defense - they only have 6 D1 wins and there best win is MSU, UNC, and Poly. Those are nice teams but not signature wins. In my opinion, they need to win this week to have a chance at the playoffs even if they are co-champs.
4) EWU - I must admit that I have not seen a lot of there games outside of UNI. I thought that they looked OK in that game. Pick 6 when they were driving at the end of game really hurt them.
5) WSU/UNC/MSU/Poly - all are respectable teams more than capable of winning this week.

veinup
November 18th, 2015, 06:09 PM
xtwocentsx i'm fine with montana where it is. if we're just basing this on what happened last week then yeah i could see them higher, but the team has been so inconsistent this year. i don't think we've put together two complete games in a row yet. i guess you could say that they're "trending" in an upwards direction, and morale is probably high and all that, but it's the end of the year and they really still need to prove themselves imo.

tomq04
November 18th, 2015, 06:29 PM
but the team has been so inconsistent this year

This describes every team in the big sky, except maybe UCD, but even they beat NAU(?)

MTfan4life
November 18th, 2015, 07:04 PM
3) SUU - they need to win this week to have a chance at the playoffs even if they are co-champs.

If they win, they are automatically in the playoffs as sole conference champions considering they'd be the only Big Sky team with just 1 loss.

JALMOND
November 18th, 2015, 08:50 PM

No jinx, I actually had PSU #1 up until posting these. Then I was thinking, NAU has been steamrolling along for the last four weeks, PSU has stumbled a bit with a loss to Northern Colorado and only winning by 1 point at home last week. I like NAU's rout over EWU more than UM's rout over EWU, because the Lumberjacks did it at EWU. But like I said, the top three are pretty close (and Montana is gaining).

mvemjsunpx
November 18th, 2015, 09:39 PM
This describes every team in the big sky, except maybe UCD, but even they beat NAU(?)

Sac's been pretty consistent. They only beat ISU right after they lost their starting QB.

veinup
November 18th, 2015, 10:50 PM

i believe NAU is on a four game win streak right now. i think PSU had a 4 game streak going until last week. SUU had a seven game W streak. there has been inconsistency, but some teams have been able to string wins together.. Montana isn't one of those teams.

tomq04
November 19th, 2015, 11:05 AM
i believe NAU is on a four game win streak right now. i think PSU had a 4 game streak going until last week. SUU had a seven game W streak. there has been inconsistency, but some teams have been able to string wins together.. Montana isn't one of those teams.

EWU won 6 in a row...now this. At least we can know that Sac St was consistent.