PDA

View Full Version : New PR video

OSBF
November 17th, 2015, 01:20 PM
https://news.illinoisstate.edu/2015/11/video-how-to-tailgate-like-a-pro-at-illinois-state/

Our tailgate group featured prominently in the video

Admin working hard on game-day atmosphere

Putting this kind of thing out there really helps

PantherRob82
November 17th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I thought it was a video about me.

- - - Updated - - -

https://news.illinoisstate.edu/2015/11/video-how-to-tailgate-like-a-pro-at-illinois-state/

Our tailgate group featured prominently in the video

Admin working hard on game-day atmosphere

Putting this kind of thing out there really helps

That's you guys at the :04 mark, right? ;)

BisonFan02
November 17th, 2015, 02:57 PM
Cool video. How big of an area is it for your guy's tailgate? I haven't had a chance to make it down to a game yet and don't know the "lay of the land" so to speak. Did the construction shuffle anything temporarily?

Good looking ribs in a few of those clips. :D

OSBF
November 17th, 2015, 04:25 PM
Cool video. How big of an area is it for your guy's tailgate? I haven't had a chance to make it down to a game yet and don't know the "lay of the land" so to speak. Did the construction shuffle anything temporarily?

Good looking ribs in a few of those clips. :D

Well that's sort of a Pandora's box you just opened up. Several years ago we were just starting to get a grip on the whole tailgating/game day atmosphere thing. All the lots were public. We could tailgate in the shadow of the stadium for no cost. It was a real train wreck. The lot right in front of the stadium pretty much turned into a writhing mass of drunken humanity. Students and high dollar donors all together in the same place, pretty much consumed the lots directly adjacent to the stadium and across the street East and South. It took loaders and dump trucks to clean up the carnage left behind. It really was a mess.

So the next evolution was to charge $10 per car to cover clean up costs and the associated overtime. Nothing much was any different other than it cost you $10 to get into the lot, tailgating still concentrated in about 4 lots.

Now, in the quest to get it "under control" admin has gone too far, they have successfully neutered the atmosphere. The lots closest to the stadium are reserved for the high dollar donors and the public/student lots have been pushed all the way out to the fringes of campus. The students and the mess they can create is confined to a couple of lots, the donor lots stay in good shape because 75% of them don't show up till gametime, go to the game, and go home. Our lot is mostly "club level" donors and week in week out we one of about 5 tailgates active in the lot. The high energy (boozy) lots have been pushed as far away from the stadium as possible

Something had to be done, the way it was, was a real mess right on the doorstep of the stadium, but now it feels to me like the energy level in the lots has dropped significantly by segregating the students from the high roller donors.

Directly North of the stadium they set up a nice tent city where all the corporate partners put up tents with free food and lots of give-aways. It's a nice walk through but I'm usually too busy cooking something awesome to take the time

Bisonoline
November 17th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Well that's sort of a Pandora's box you just opened up. Several years ago we were just starting to get a grip on the whole tailgating/game day atmosphere thing. All the lots were public. We could tailgate in the shadow of the stadium for no cost. It was a real train wreck. The lot right in front of the stadium pretty much turned into a writhing mass of drunken humanity. Students and high dollar donors all together in the same place, pretty much consumed the lots directly adjacent to the stadium and across the street East and South. It took loaders and dump trucks to clean up the carnage left behind. It really was a mess.

So the next evolution was to charge $10 per car to cover clean up costs and the associated overtime. Nothing much was any different other than it cost you $10 to get into the lot, tailgating still concentrated in about 4 lots.

Now, in the quest to get it "under control" admin has gone too far, they have successfully neutered the atmosphere. The lots closest to the stadium are reserved for the high dollar donors and the public/student lots have been pushed all the way out to the fringes of campus. The students and the mess they can create is confined to a couple of lots, the donor lots stay in good shape because 75% of them don't show up till gametime, go to the game, and go home. Our lot is mostly "club level" donors and week in week out we one of about 5 tailgates active in the lot. The high energy (boozy) lots have been pushed as far away from the stadium as possible

Something had to be done, the way it was, was a real mess right on the doorstep of the stadium, but now it feels to me like the energy level in the lots has dropped significantly by segregating the students from the high roller donors.

Directly North of the stadium they set up a nice tent city where all the corporate partners put up tents with free food and lots of give-aways. It's a nice walk through but I'm usually too busy cooking something awesome to take the time

I was there for a game and thats exactly what I saw. 2009 or 2010? Never have I seen anything like that at any game Ive been to.