PDA

View Full Version : Suspend Bo Pelini

Pages : 1 [2]

Paladin1aa
October 14th, 2018, 04:51 PM
Here’s hoping Bozo is not at YSU next year. FWIW, his brother Carl wasn’t much of a HC either in Florida. I’m amazed BG made him the interim.

POD Knows
October 14th, 2018, 05:55 PM
replay technology in the broadcast booth in those days was rather primitive.They never even bothered to look at the replay that was shown, I think the fact that Woody would have done what he did was off their radar so they didn't see it. It was freaking obvious as it happened live and you could see it on the replay.

Serpentor
October 15th, 2018, 12:44 PM
Yep.

I tried to find similar video of Hayes' 1971 meltdown against Michigan when he stalked the ref all the way to midfield over some call after the game had been effectively decided, and then went to the sideline to rip the first down marker to shreds before leaving the field.

Alas, can't find it!

I still love Woody, violent breakdowns aside. He came to my mother's high school to meet some potential recruits and the coach had him shake my mom's hand because he knew how much of an Ohio State fan her father was. My mom went home that night and told him whose hand she shook and he went spastic. Oh sports. :P

Serpentor
October 15th, 2018, 12:48 PM
They never even bothered to look at the replay that was shown, I think the fact that Woody would have done what he did was off their radar so they didn't see it. It was freaking obvious as it happened live and you could see it on the replay.

Woody was diabetic in his later years and supposedly had a high sugar level during the game, which CAN make you irritable and prone to fits. Doesn't excuse his behavior at all and of course he deserved to be fired for it, but probably explains why the announcers and so many others were shocked by his actions, which were out of character.

POD Knows
October 15th, 2018, 12:51 PM
Woody was diabetic in his later years and supposedly had a high sugar level during the game, which CAN make you irritable and prone to fits. Doesn't excuse his behavior at all and of course he deserved to be fired for it, but probably explains why the announcers and so many others were shocked by his actions, which were out of character.I need to listen to the announcers but did they ever really acknowledge that Hayes punched the player? I listened to the video on my phone and couldn't tell but I remember watching the game and I saw it happen live and thought WTF, and I remember that it was sort of glossed over during the live broadcast.

walliver
October 16th, 2018, 08:22 AM
I need to listen to the announcers but did they ever really acknowledge that Hayes punched the player? I listened to the video on my phone and couldn't tell but I remember watching the game and I saw it happen live and thought WTF, and I remember that it was sort of glossed over during the live broadcast.

The ABC announcers never admitted that Woody threw a punch. Even at the end of the broadcast they were upset that a evil player had attacked Woody. The lead story on the local news was an apology from the local affiliate about the poor coverage.

POD Knows
October 16th, 2018, 08:31 AM
The ABC announcers never admitted that Woody threw a punch. Even at the end of the broadcast they were upset that a evil player had attacked Woody. The lead story on the local news was an apology from the local affiliate about the poor coverage.I remember thinking, am I the only guy that saw Hayes punch the player on the sidelines, it was like WTF, are these guys even watching the game and what happened. xconfusedx