PDA

View Full Version : CAA Conference Champ Tie Breaker

wmmii
November 15th, 2015, 09:01 AM
CAA rules updated on 11/15/2012 as shown below:

THE RULES:

CAA Tiebreakers
Okay. I'm giving this a shot. Based on the criteria found from an old CAA media guide. My breakdown of the current situation to follow...

4.01 The team with the best conference record based on win-loss percentage shall represent the Conference as the NCAA automatic qualifier.

4.02 In the event of a tie, the following tie-breaker format will be utilized to determine the Conference automatic qualifier.

4.03 Tie-Breaking formats.
1. Head-to-head competition. If three-or-more teams are involved in a tie and all have played each other, the win-loss percentage
is computed using each team’s record against the tied teams as a group rather than individually.
2. Win-loss percentage versus the highest-placed common opponents and proceeding down. When arriving at another set of
tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the tied teams as a group rather than individually.
3. Use the Sagarin rating available the Sunday after final game (see reference http://www.vuhoops.com/villanova-football/2012/11/15/3650328/updated-caa-football-tiebreaker-scenarios-announced).

4.04 Tie-Breaker Operating principles.
1. All ties are broken in descending order.
2. Once a team has been eliminated at any point, the process reverts back to the beginning with the remaining tied teams.

THE RESULTS:

• Tribe Beats UR
o WM wins CAA Outright

• Tribe Loses to UR and…
oJMU beats Villanova
 Threeway tie: WM, JMU and UR.
• WM 1-1
• UR 2-0
• JMU 0-2.
UR WINS CAA CHAMPIONSHIP
o Nova Beats JMU
 Threeway tie: WM, Nova and UR. Use Head-to-Head of Group:
• WM 1-1
• UR 1-1
• Nova 1-1.
 Kicks to Win Loss of next highest team of common opponents which are only JMU:
• All beat JMU
Use Sagarin rating as of 11/22/2105!

RootinFerDukes
November 15th, 2015, 09:17 AM
I had no clue that Villanova was still in contention for the CAA championship. How about that?

MTfan4life
November 15th, 2015, 09:40 AM
UR WINS CAA CHAMPIONSHIP
o Nova Beats JMU
• WM 1-1
• UR 1-1
• Nova 1-1.
 Kicks to Win Loss of next highest team of common opponents which are only JMU:
• All beat JMU
Use Sagarin rating?

This would go to conference road wins, which Villanova would win for having 3 in this scenario.

UNHWildcat18
November 15th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Need my wildcats to win and JMU to win. CAA gets four teams with W&M JMU UR UNH Nova as the possible teams

SingForever
November 15th, 2015, 10:22 AM
UNH- NOT This Year. If things are fair

RootinFerDukes
November 15th, 2015, 10:38 AM
It does look like unh has to hope for a Villanova loss to JMU. I feel sorry for you guys... Having to hope that JMU doesn't **** the bed like we almost did against UD. Your odds don't look good.

UNHWildcat18
November 15th, 2015, 11:31 AM
UNH- NOT This Year. If things are fair

We beat a playoff Richmond team and beat the undefeated in PL play champs Colgate(granted they win next week). What team outside of JMU UR W&M in the CAA deserves to be in over UNH?

UNHWildcat18
November 15th, 2015, 11:32 AM
It does look like unh has to hope for a Villanova loss to JMU. I feel sorry for you guys... Having to hope that JMU doesn't **** the bed like we almost did against UD. Your odds don't look good.

I'm sure the Dukes will play better this game. Good teams lose or almost lose games vs UD and bad teams seem to beat them, I truly don't understand Delaware this year.

RootinFerDukes
November 15th, 2015, 02:30 PM
I'm sure the Dukes will play better this game. Good teams lose or almost lose games vs UD and bad teams seem to beat them, I truly don't understand Delaware this year.

In all seriousness, they might be the best 3 win team in the country. If that says anything.
Our backup looked solid but not good enough against the top defense wm and then he struggled mightily last night against a mediocre UD defense. Many rookie mistakes by him.
I think the VU defense will expose him and push our sorry o line all over the place. We need him to have a career day to beat VU.

TypicalTribe
November 16th, 2015, 11:44 AM
o Nova Beats JMU
• WM 1-1
• UR 1-1
• Nova 1-1.
• All beat JMU

If UNH and Towson win as expected, there will be three teams that finish at 5-3. Tribe will have beaten all three and Richmond and Villanova would be 1-1. The Tribe should get the bid under that scenario.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2015, 12:05 PM
If Villanova gets the autobid there will be a lot of crying fans of at-large teams around the country.

Richmond needs to win to be guaranteed an at-large shot. If they lose they could be out.

bluehenbillk
November 16th, 2015, 12:29 PM
In all seriousness, they might be the best 3 win team in the country. If that says anything.
Our backup looked solid but not good enough against the top defense wm and then he struggled mightily last night against a mediocre UD defense. Many rookie mistakes by him.
I think the VU defense will expose him and push our sorry o line all over the place. We need him to have a career day to beat VU.

UD has one of the better defenses you'll see, mediocre isn't what I'd term them as, JMU had 211 yards thru 3 quarters and needed a shanked punt to win. Mediocre would be a big step up though for UD's offense.

Gangtackle11
November 16th, 2015, 12:35 PM
UD has one of the better defenses you'll see, mediocre isn't what I'd term them as, JMU had 211 yards thru 3 quarters and needed a shanked punt to win. Mediocre would be a big step up though for UD's offense.

I was impressed by the size of their players relative to Villanova. They were a lot bigger on both sides of the ball. Not having a QB that can keep a defense honest thru the air is their biggest problem.

I'm not sure I'll be excited to see them next season especially if they get a decent passing game.

Gangtackle11
November 16th, 2015, 12:46 PM
We beat a playoff Richmond team and beat the undefeated in PL play champs Colgate(granted they win next week). What team outside of JMU UR W&M in the CAA deserves to be in over UNH?

Villanova if they beat JMU.

They will have wins over Richmond & JMU along with probable playoff team Fordham.

That said I think UNH & Nova both go especially if Richmond loses to W&M.

Richmond beats W&M then they are definitely in along with JMU and W&M.
That will probably have either UNH or Villanova out of the playoffs.

Also Towson most likely will be 7-4 and only solid win would be over Villanova.

Mattymc727
November 16th, 2015, 01:14 PM
What a mess...My head hurts

MacThor
November 16th, 2015, 09:22 PM
TypicalTribe has it right; If Nova beats JMU, W&M is going to be the auto-bid, whether they beat Richmond or not.

UNHWildcat18
November 16th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Villanova if they beat JMU.

They will have wins over Richmond & JMU along with probable playoff team Fordham.

That said I think UNH & Nova both go especially if Richmond loses to W&M.

Richmond beats W&M then they are definitely in along with JMU and W&M.
That will probably have either UNH or Villanova out of the playoffs.

Also Towson most likely will be 7-4 and only solid win would be over Villanova.

Agreed on all points. I dont see richmond winning this week so UNH and Nova just need to take care of business

melloware13
November 16th, 2015, 11:41 PM
As to in/out for CAA, I have:
William & Mary - IN no matter (at worst 8-3 with a 1 pt bad L)
James Madison - Could be in jeopardy with L, IN with W (L leaves them 8-3, having lost 3 of last 4 and only win v 3/4 win team)
Richmond - IN with W, in jeopardy with L (7-4 with L, having 3 game L.S. to end)
Villanova - Chance with W, OUT with L (win makes them 7-4 with W's v JMU, Richmond, Fordham)
New Hampshire - Needs W (would be 7-4, 2 bad L's, best win = UR, so Spider win helps there)
Towson - Needs to W to have any hope (would be 7-4, Elon L might keep them out still due to best win being Nova)

As of now, I am guessing W&M, JMU, and VU get in; UR, UNH, TU needing the bubble to soften for one to get in; 3/4 CAA Bids

Mattymc727
November 17th, 2015, 06:18 AM
As to in/out for CAA, I have:
William & Mary - IN no matter (at worst 8-3 with a 1 pt bad L)
James Madison - Could be in jeopardy with L, IN with W (L leaves them 8-3, having lost 3 of last 4 and only win v 3/4 win team)
Richmond - IN with W, in jeopardy with L (7-4 with L, having 3 game L.S. to end)
Villanova - Chance with W, OUT with L (win makes them 7-4 with W's v JMU, Richmond, Fordham)
New Hampshire - Needs W (would be 7-4, 2 bad L's, best win = UR, so Spider win helps there)
Towson - Needs to W to have any hope (would be 7-4, Elon L might keep them out still due to best win being Nova)

As of now, I am guessing W&M, JMU, and VU get in; UR, UNH, TU needing the bubble to soften for one to get in; 3/4 CAA Bids

If Fordham is counted as a quality win for Nova, Colgate should be counted as a quality win for UNH, especially on the road and Colgate winning the Patriot league.

TypicalTribe
November 17th, 2015, 10:46 AM
The biggest negative for UNH is their schedule. They didn't play Villanova, Towson or JMU and their first road win in conference was last weekend at Albany. Best non-conference win is a mediocre 6-4 Colgate team. There's a reason their average computer ranking is around 40. There's an argument to be made that Towson has a better resume.

Tribe CAA champs and a bye with a win, possibly a top 4 seed depending on MVC; still CAA champs if Nova beats JMU and likely first-round home game
Richmond in with a win and CAA champs if JMU beats Nova; likely out with a loss given three straight Ls to close the season
JMU in with a win, but no shot at CAA champs because of losses to UR and W&M; squarely on the bubble with a loss
Villanova likely in with a win because of 6-2 finish and some good wins; could tie for CAA title but would likely not get auto-bid because of Sagarin rating; out with a loss and 6-5 finish
New Hampshire and Towson both on the bubble with wins and 7-4 finishes due to weak overall resumes

Should make for an interesting weekend

Mattymc727
November 17th, 2015, 02:14 PM
When it comes to Towson vs UNH, it really comes down to the better win i suppose: Nova, or Richmond? They both have bad losses and didnt beat anyone else. The committee might see the Colgate win as "beating the Patriot league Champion", but we all know thats not a strong win.

melloware13
November 17th, 2015, 02:53 PM
If Fordham is counted as a quality win for Nova, Colgate should be counted as a quality win for UNH, especially on the road and Colgate winning the Patriot league.

When looking out of conference, I see a win over a 9-2 team as better than a win over a 7-4 team when both are from the same conference. Then again, how will the committee look at Nova in terms of QB since they beat Fordham with Robertson

HailSzczur
November 17th, 2015, 03:12 PM
A 7-4 Nova will have 2 big things going for it:
1) They're hot. 4 straight wins and 5 of their last 6
2) Name recognition. Let's be honest, it's humans doing this, its not a complete non factor

Nova's losses:
1) UConn- 5 point loss to a FBS team? No issue at all
2) Penn- not good, but now that Penn is a win over Cornell away from being Ivy League Champs it's not "as bad". Committe will also see that it was a new, freshman QB on 4 days prep
3) William & Mary- The CAA champ
4) Towson- bubble team, and at least it was on the road

A 7-4 record would also mean 4 road wins too....

As long as we're not being penalized for not having Robertson, which I wouldn't think we should since Zach B will have started 8 games and gone 5-3, we should be fine. I think. I hope

Gangtackle11
November 17th, 2015, 03:29 PM
A 7-4 Nova will have 2 big things going for it:
1) They're hot. 4 straight wins and 5 of their last 6
2) Name recognition. Let's be honest, it's humans doing this, its not a complete non factor

Nova's losses:
1) UConn- 5 point loss to a FBS team? No issue at all
2) Penn- not good, but now that Penn is a win over Cornell away from being Ivy League Champs it's not "as bad". Committe will also see that it was a new, freshman QB on 4 days prep
3) William & Mary- The CAA champ
4) Towson- bubble team, and at least it was on the road

A 7-4 record would also mean 4 road wins too....

As long as we're not being penalized for not having Robertson, which I wouldn't think we should since Zach B will have started 8 games and gone 5-3, we should be fine. I think. I hope

Nova will be in at 7-4.

Mattymc727
November 17th, 2015, 03:34 PM
When looking out of conference, I see a win over a 9-2 team as better than a win over a 7-4 team when both are from the same conference. Then again, how will the committee look at Nova in terms of QB since they beat Fordham with Robertson

Fair enough, but I think it gets evened out with Colgate having the head to head win over Fordham.

UNH will also be ending with 4 straight wins too.

KPSUL
November 17th, 2015, 03:40 PM
What am I missing here? Doesn't Nova have to beat JMU to get to 7-4? If they beat JMU and Richmond the last 3 weeks of the season they will get the nod over UNH. No argument from me.
However, a UNH win over Maine at home is significantly more likely than a Nova win @ JMU. That's why most of the prognosticators are putting UNH in the playoff bracket before Nova.

HailSzczur
November 17th, 2015, 04:10 PM
What am I missing here? Doesn't Nova have to beat JMU to get to 7-4? If they beat JMU and Richmond the last 3 weeks of the season they will get the nod over UNH. No argument from me.
However, a UNH win over Maine at home is significantly more likely than a Nova win @ JMU. That's why most of the prognosticators are putting UNH in the playoff bracket before Nova.

Seeing Nova at -6, UNH at -10
http://www.sportbet.com/lines/football_college_extra

Gangtackle11
November 17th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Seeing Nova at -6, UNH at -10
http://www.sportbet.com/lines/football_college_extra

Nova is +6 not -6

HailSzczur
November 18th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Nova is +6 not -6

reading comprehension is tough sometimes....thanks for that haha. Makes a lot more sense than what I said

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2015, 12:28 PM

I agree, if Nova wins, they're in. My prognostication was based on a JMU win and a UNH win. If both lose, and assuming Towson takes care of URI, they'd be the ones.

Tribal
November 18th, 2015, 12:51 PM
How about the two CAA bubble teams take the NEC and PFL Champs to the woodshed and usurp their bracket slot?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk