PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts vs. Appalachian

Pages : 1 [2]

UMass922
December 11th, 2006, 04:38 PM
no fan is going to say thier team is going to lose.

Speak for yourself. My first post in this thread was a prediction of a UMass loss:

Appalachian State 28
Massachusetts 27

And I stand by it. Anyway, kudos to mcveyrl for righting the ship that is this thread. It's looking better already.

B&G
December 11th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Anyway, kudos to mcveyrl for righting the ship that is this thread. It's looking better already.

Agreed... although I give it about 5 pages before it reverts back to where it was. :nonono2:

Appguy
December 11th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Armanti almost makes it look too easy... but like said before he never wants to go down and tries to salvage yards he sometimes shouldnt and turn what should have just been a sack into a fumble recovery by the Defense

Maroon&White
December 11th, 2006, 04:58 PM
It's not discounting UMass in any way, shape, or form.

You just had that huge post about how ASU is superior then UMass in everything, and how UMass will not be able to match them...yea, you are discounting them.

james_lawfirm
December 11th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Look, I don't expect people to say their team is going to lose. But give me something other than "Edwards is fast" or "Look, we beat Montana at their house."

Honestly, I look to most of the fans on here that see their team week in and week out to give me a breakdown of the team and what to look for compared to the other team. At least give the other team credit (and I don't think "it will be close" is giving the team credit). I'd like to hear an ASU fan say, "I'm worried about X of UMass, we haven't faced anybody like him before." Instead, it's all this homer "been there, done that" crap.

I'm not saying you have to drop your homerism (no fan could do that!), but I got tired of reading "The other team is inadequate because..." or "that doesn't worry me because..."

The trouble with your worries & gripes on this post here is that, other than watching the UMass/Montana game this weekend, I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about UMass:bang: :bang: :bang: , except what I can read on AGS & other knowledgeable sources. So, I choose to discuss things that I know about, LIKE ASU FOOTBALL!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

I further assume that the UMass posters on here are in the same boat as I am when it comes to discussing the two teams. So, what I enjoy doing is reading the App homers & the UMass homers and mixing in some neutral posters helps me to form an opinion on any given subject. Take for instance, I think ASU will win the NC. There now, am I a homer? Darn right. But, I am rather knowledgeable about ASU football. I welcome other views from UMass homers.

Finally, I certainly give lots of credit to UMass. They are AT LEAST the 2nd best team in the country right now. It should make for one heck of a game on Friday.

Good luck UMass. Go APPS!

December 11th, 2006, 07:45 PM
... be the first team in I-AA to actually back up the words this year. Because the same crap has been mouthed by teams for weeks now, and the results are the same...Not saying I disagree with your ASU uber alles but have the Mountaineers faced a team that went undefeated in I-AA in the regular season? Is this the same old, same old? Naw, it isn't... CCU, MSU, YSU all lost to I-AA teams in the regular season. So this is different.

Appguy
December 11th, 2006, 07:58 PM
just looking at baylarks numbers he averages under 5 yards a carry against all the good defenses with the exception of montana and hasn't scored over 2 TDs in a game.
KRich was slowed down by JMU and GSU but the JMU game was Pre-Armanti and in the GSU game he had 100+ through the air.

Why does Baylark only have 2 TDs in some of the UMASS blowouts?

umassfan
December 11th, 2006, 08:01 PM
just looking at baylarks numbers he averages under 5 yards a carry against all the good defenses with the exception of montana and hasn't scored over 2 TDs in a game.
KRich was slowed down by JMU and GSU but the JMU game was Pre-Armanti and in the GSU game he had 100+ through the air.

Why does Baylark only have 2 TDs in some of the UMASS blowouts?
Because UMass does more then run the ball. Also in our blowouts he usually is out at halftime. Duh!

thmst30
December 11th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Because UMass does more then run the ball. Also in our blowouts he usually is out at halftime. Duh!
Yea Jerry leaves are players in a little longer than I would like. Hes really gonna pay for it one of these days, already did 2 years ago when we lost Lynch for the season.

SirApp
December 11th, 2006, 08:04 PM
This thread is all sorts of all over the place. Anyways, the two teams a re fairly similar. Both great at the skill positions, fantastic defenses. Only real difference I see as of right now is UMass has a fantastic passer and App has a fantastic runner at the quarterback position (but their counter weapon is pretty good too). Game will come down to the turnover battle, whoever wins that, wins the game. Good luck to both teams, I'll see you all in Chatty. :thumbsup:

umassfan
December 11th, 2006, 08:08 PM
What else do you want? UMass is the third team in three weeks we'll play cut out of almost the exact same mold. Just like MSU and YSU, they have an team that is keyed by the running of their tailback and their defense. Establishing the run would open up their passing game with playaction and screens if they can establish the run as a threat. Only neither of them were able to do that. If UMass is forced to be a pass-first team, that's not their preferred style of play. Liam Coen is not a star quarterback that's going to beat you on his own. Their receivers, while tall and good, are not stars. Their star is Baylark, and as he goes UMass goes.

The question will be can their offensive line keep ASU's D-line at bay, something nobody has been able to do for a whole game yet this year. We've faced teams in each of the last three weeks that have had big offensive lines, lines our smaller guys were supposed to never get around. Yet somehow we did so time and again and limited rushing attacks and slammed the quarterback into the ground multiple times. Our tiny defensive backs have managed to blanket those big wideouts and found few jumpballs that they couldn't get to, and Lynch and Wiggins have nabbed errant passes.

On the flip side there has not been a defense in I-AA yet that has kept us at bay unless we turn the ball over. Nobody has kept Armanti and Richardson at bay. Nobody has prevented our atheltic O-line from opening Mack-truck sized holes at every conceiveable angle of attack. When teams have gotten in the backfield, rarely have they managed to get Edwards or Richardson down on the first try. Teams have consistenyl put their fastest players on the scout team to try and mimic what we do, yet come game time Edwards and Richardson are running wild all over the place.

If you are an ASU fan, you've seen this movie two weeks in a row now. Perhaps UMass has the talent to make this script play out differently, but from what I have seen I do not think that to be the case. Baylark is a good open field runner and tough, but he's not going to break gang tackles, so it will be up the UMass line to open those holes. If UMass can do that, then on defense we will be in more trouble than we've been all postseason. Because our limemen and linebackers have speed to burn, and are very strong for their size. They maybe can't move a 330-pounder alone, but they don't have to if they are quick enough to get around the guy who's more likely in I-AA because he is only big and not fast to boot.

On defense, I expect UMass to do exactly what they've done so far, put lots of pressure with blitzes. It's worked for them and at this point you don't change much, there's no time with the short week to do so. The problem is that they have not faced a quarterback with the escapability Armanti has, and that will kill UMass if they cannot contain him. How many times have you seen Armanti this postseason escape, bounce off tacklers, and fire the ball downfield for positive yardage (sometimes a lot)? How many times have you seen it look like he's dead to rights, only to juke and take off into the secondary? I expect, as has been the case in weeks past, that Armanti will escape the pressure and either get the passes out to receivers that will be under a lot less coverage, or he'll take off. Maybe UMass sticks with it in hopes that they'll get to him enough to cause a pick, or maybe they'll back off and try coverage and a spy, which has already been proven totally ineffective against us this postseason.

The UMass blitz could affect the running game, even though Richardson has proven time and again he rarely goes down on the first hit. But screens and flare passes can get him outside the blitz and matched up on DB's and linebackers, a matchup you want. And Mayfield will be a load because he's not a deep threat as a big guy, he's a posession receiver who can block and drag smaller DB's for a few more yards. And don't forget about Bettis who makes people pay the few times he gets the ball.

Wait, I know what's coming already... "but we have the athletes they don't have. We can run with you and stop you. Our big guys will grind you down." Well, then be the first team in I-AA to actually back up the words this year. Because the same crap has been mouthed by teams for weeks now, and the results are the same.

UMass is a very good team, I have no doubt of that. You don't get to this game by accident. But I've been watching the games, and I've been focusing a lot on watching how fast the players look on TV compared to our guys, and UMass, while looking faster in some areas than the rest, still don't match up in my eyes. I know it's subjective, but at this point it's all I have to go on.

What am I worried about? ASU turning the ball over. That's it. I think that is the single biggest factor that will determine if we go in the record books as a repeat champion or not. Because I strongly believe that if ASU plays good or great football, they will not be beaten on Friday, even by UMass' best efforts. This team has played on a different level, especially in the playoffs. CAN we be beaten? Absolutely. But so far nobody's stepped up to a level needed to do it, both when we played a not-so-good game (MSU) and good games (CCU and YSU).

If people want to consider that smack, then fine. But it's what I truly believe and I'll need evidence to prove I am wrong. I'm not going to BS around and fake humility when I feel my team is a superior team. It's not discounting UMass in any way, shape, or form. I expect a tough game from both sides. I expect we will see some memorabale plays in this game from both sides. I also believe that the Appalachian State University football team is the better team, and will show it on Friday. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Do you want me to point out how many things are wrong with this post? because I will be here all day.

Black and Gold Express
December 11th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Not saying I disagree with your ASU uber alles but have the Mountaineers faced a team that went undefeated in I-AA in the regular season? Is this the same old, same old? Naw, it isn't... CCU, MSU, YSU all lost to I-AA teams in the regular season. So this is different.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't though. Until I see it happen, I've seen too many people all year long claim it was "going to be different this week", and it never is. So you'll forgive me if I don't suddenly believe the 14th time I hear it I'll suddenly think differently this time.

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not usually this confident. I have always been a realist. I say things people don't like to hear, but I call it like I see it. Talentwise, this ASU team is the best, hands down, of any team I have ever seen. That includes last year's title winning team. So if I'm going on like this, know at least that I've formed an opinion that is pretty solid in basis.

SoCon48
December 11th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Yea Jerry leaves are players in a little longer than I would like. Hes really gonna pay for it one of these days, already did 2 years ago when we lost Lynch for the season.

Hell, Edwards went several games straight only playing 3 quarters.

thmst30
December 11th, 2006, 08:19 PM
This really will be are toughest FCS test this year. No doubt about it, I know people have been saying that for all 3 rounds so far, but this time you can see the records, and the quality wins and know it is for real. Umass legitimately worries me a little bit. I believe this game will be closer than we think, and hopefully our essential "home field advantage" will be the deciding factor.

thmst30
December 11th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Hell, Edwards went several games straight only playing 3 quarters.
Yea but when your up about 20 in the 4th Edwards and Richardson have no reason being in there. That has happened a few more times than I would like to see.

Black and Gold Express
December 11th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Do you want me to point out how many things are wrong with this post? because I will be here all day.

Please do so. I'd love to read it.

umassfan
December 11th, 2006, 08:22 PM
This really will be are toughest FCS test this year. No doubt about it, I know people have been saying that for all 3 rounds so far, but this time you can see the records, and the quality wins and know it is for real. Umass legitimately worries me a little bit. I believe this game will be closer than we think, and hopefully our essential "home field advantage" will be the deciding factor.
If Navys home field didnt bother us and Montanas home field the same... why would a non home field for App bother us?

thmst30
December 11th, 2006, 08:23 PM
If Navys home field didnt bother us and Montanas home field the same... why would a non home field for App bother us?
I'm just hoping our larger crowd will help us a little in the end, thats all.

appsfan
December 11th, 2006, 08:28 PM
This thread is all sorts of all over the place. Anyways, the two teams a re fairly similar. Both great at the skill positions, fantastic defenses. Only real difference I see as of right now is UMass has a fantastic passer and App has a fantastic runner at the quarterback position (but their counter weapon is pretty good too). Game will come down to the turnover battle, whoever wins that, wins the game. Good luck to both teams, I'll see you all in Chatty. :thumbsup:
SirApp I see the game the same as you do. I'll give ASU a slight edge due to the experience factor.

Appdad
December 11th, 2006, 08:30 PM

I don't care what the crowd does for or against Umass in C/F. What will happen is App will feel at home in a stadium they are very familiar with and the crowd will help fuel their intensity

AppGirl
December 11th, 2006, 08:41 PM
" DISCLAIMER: My posts are from the hip, unreferenced and largely unresearched. If someone finds fault with them, too bad, I'm too busy to put real effort in."

Read your own disclaimer!!:bang: :bang: :bang:

umassfan
December 11th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I don't care what the crowd does for or against Umass in C/F. What will happen is App will feel at home in a stadium they are very familiar with and the crowd will help fuel their intensity
UMass and App have played in chatty the same number of times. I dont think playing at a field will change any. UMass plays on fieldturf which chatty has. Im not sure what App plays on. App will have a good amount of fans but it wont be nearly as loud as last week.

thmst30
December 11th, 2006, 10:13 PM
UMass and App have played in chatty the same number of times. I dont think playing at a field will change any. UMass plays on fieldturf which chatty has. Im not sure what App plays on. App will have a good amount of fans but it wont be nearly as loud as last week.
We have fieldturf.

APPST '93
December 11th, 2006, 10:30 PM

APP plays here every other year (UTC is in the So Con). We even played hear earlier this year and beat UTC 56-21.xidiotx

Peems
December 11th, 2006, 10:40 PM
too bad UTC isnt playing this time

B&G
December 11th, 2006, 10:55 PM
too bad UTC isnt playing this time

True, that's the only chance UMass would have. ;)

bamamountaineer1013
December 11th, 2006, 11:44 PM
some things i have noticed on this message board

1) fans will generally pick thier own team to win, regardless of how good the other team is.

2) fans from both sides are over picking on the score.

ASU-UMASS will probably be the toughest game that each team has played this year. Regardless of how good each team is, this will not be a blow out.

Keys to the game

Will UMASS be able to slow down App's running onslaught of kevin Ricahrdson and Armanti Edwards. If they are able to do this they will force the App's into passing, and when you pass more, you are more likely to throw more picks.

Watching the UMASS-MONTANA game on tv I noticed one thing that dictated the game, and that was the ability of UMass's RB coming out of the backfield on screen passes. While in Boone on Sat. I noticed that most of YTstate's positve plays came on the screen. App's will need to stop that all or nothing mentality that their defense showed.

I will be in the heart of Mountaineer fans cheering section on Friday night, and will be pulling for the repeat but to those fans who think this game will be one sided you are in for a surprise.

Final score App- 24, Umass-21

thmst30
December 11th, 2006, 11:47 PM
ESPN2 ANNOUNCES BROADCAST CREW: ESPN2 announced on Monday that Dave Pasch (play-by-play), Rod Gilmore (analyst), Trevor Matich (analyst) and Dave Ryan (sideline reporter) will be the announcers for the television broadcast of Friday’s national championship game.

Why the hell can't they give us someone I've actually heard of before?

BULLDOG8180
December 11th, 2006, 11:49 PM
App.St. wins, U Mass. may be as fast, I don't know, but with Money, it is more quickness, that gets him out of trouble. And I know, they aren't fast enough to make up for Moneys quickness.

December 11th, 2006, 11:53 PM
ESPN2 ANNOUNCES BROADCAST CREW: ESPN2 announced on Monday that Dave Pasch (play-by-play), Rod Gilmore (analyst), Trevor Matich (analyst) and Dave Ryan (sideline reporter) will be the announcers for the television broadcast of Friday’s national championship game.

Why the hell can't they give us someone I've actually heard of before?That is the same crew EVERYONE was complaining about from the UMass@Montana game.

Don't worry, I will be in the pressbox... details on my arming tomorrow.

Peems
December 12th, 2006, 12:01 AM
True, that's the only chance UMass would have. ;)

well played:) :rotateh: xlolx

Peems
December 12th, 2006, 12:02 AM
That is the same crew EVERYONE was complaining about from the UMass@Montana game.

Don't worry, I will be in the pressbox... details on my arming tomorrow.

are you gonna have a computer and internet available there?

December 12th, 2006, 12:03 AM
are you gonna have a computer and internet available there?Oh yeah... as will Coulson and Dowd.

Peems
December 12th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Oh yeah... as will Coulson and Dowd.

make sure you make snide remarks about the espn guys while they call the game. maybe if you are lucky you can get on TV:) :smiley_wi

December 12th, 2006, 12:11 AM
make sure you make snide remarks about the espn guys while they call the game. maybe if you are lucky you can get on TV:) :smiley_wiBeen on TV plenty of times before and hope I'm lucky enough NOT to be on that e$pn broadcast... watch for my upcoming post...

ncguitarplyr
December 12th, 2006, 01:16 AM
looks like weather won't be much of an issue...clear day with temperatures in the 50's are projected

APPST '93
December 12th, 2006, 06:07 AM
ASU -3.5
O/U 44.5

Appdad
December 12th, 2006, 06:13 AM

Really? Your current team? How many players on your team have played in C/F?

You talking about your school? Doesn't your student body/team rosters rotate every four years or so?

HaveFunKc
December 12th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Appalachian is legitimate.

It's true that they coasted through the season playing weak SoCon teams, but they're as good as any team in the country at I-AA level.

I simply think UMass is the legitimate #1 this year because of their schedule.

UMass 21- ASU 10

:eek: Welcome back Bison! Great to see your prediction once again. UMass fans gotta hate seeing this as you have picked against APP every game in the playoffs by a HUGE margin. You da Man!! :bow:

Here's to what's going to be a great football game between two damn fine teams in Chatanooga Friday! Go Mountaineers!!

mcveyrl
December 12th, 2006, 07:40 AM
What else do you want? UMass is the third team in three weeks we'll play cut out of almost the exact same mold. Just like MSU and YSU, they have an team that is keyed by the running of their tailback and their defense. Establishing the run would open up their passing game with playaction and screens if they can establish the run as a threat. Only neither of them were able to do that. If UMass is forced to be a pass-first team, that's not their preferred style of play. Liam Coen is not a star quarterback that's going to beat you on his own. Their receivers, while tall and good, are not stars. Their star is Baylark, and as he goes UMass goes.

The question will be can their offensive line keep ASU's D-line at bay, something nobody has been able to do for a whole game yet this year. We've faced teams in each of the last three weeks that have had big offensive lines, lines our smaller guys were supposed to never get around. Yet somehow we did so time and again and limited rushing attacks and slammed the quarterback into the ground multiple times. Our tiny defensive backs have managed to blanket those big wideouts and found few jumpballs that they couldn't get to, and Lynch and Wiggins have nabbed errant passes.

On the flip side there has not been a defense in I-AA yet that has kept us at bay unless we turn the ball over. Nobody has kept Armanti and Richardson at bay. Nobody has prevented our atheltic O-line from opening Mack-truck sized holes at every conceiveable angle of attack. When teams have gotten in the backfield, rarely have they managed to get Edwards or Richardson down on the first try. Teams have consistenyl put their fastest players on the scout team to try and mimic what we do, yet come game time Edwards and Richardson are running wild all over the place.

If you are an ASU fan, you've seen this movie two weeks in a row now. Perhaps UMass has the talent to make this script play out differently, but from what I have seen I do not think that to be the case. Baylark is a good open field runner and tough, but he's not going to break gang tackles, so it will be up the UMass line to open those holes. If UMass can do that, then on defense we will be in more trouble than we've been all postseason. Because our limemen and linebackers have speed to burn, and are very strong for their size. They maybe can't move a 330-pounder alone, but they don't have to if they are quick enough to get around the guy who's more likely in I-AA because he is only big and not fast to boot.

On defense, I expect UMass to do exactly what they've done so far, put lots of pressure with blitzes. It's worked for them and at this point you don't change much, there's no time with the short week to do so. The problem is that they have not faced a quarterback with the escapability Armanti has, and that will kill UMass if they cannot contain him. How many times have you seen Armanti this postseason escape, bounce off tacklers, and fire the ball downfield for positive yardage (sometimes a lot)? How many times have you seen it look like he's dead to rights, only to juke and take off into the secondary? I expect, as has been the case in weeks past, that Armanti will escape the pressure and either get the passes out to receivers that will be under a lot less coverage, or he'll take off. Maybe UMass sticks with it in hopes that they'll get to him enough to cause a pick, or maybe they'll back off and try coverage and a spy, which has already been proven totally ineffective against us this postseason.

The UMass blitz could affect the running game, even though Richardson has proven time and again he rarely goes down on the first hit. But screens and flare passes can get him outside the blitz and matched up on DB's and linebackers, a matchup you want. And Mayfield will be a load because he's not a deep threat as a big guy, he's a posession receiver who can block and drag smaller DB's for a few more yards. And don't forget about Bettis who makes people pay the few times he gets the ball.

Wait, I know what's coming already... "but we have the athletes they don't have. We can run with you and stop you. Our big guys will grind you down." Well, then be the first team in I-AA to actually back up the words this year. Because the same crap has been mouthed by teams for weeks now, and the results are the same.

UMass is a very good team, I have no doubt of that. You don't get to this game by accident. But I've been watching the games, and I've been focusing a lot on watching how fast the players look on TV compared to our guys, and UMass, while looking faster in some areas than the rest, still don't match up in my eyes. I know it's subjective, but at this point it's all I have to go on.

What am I worried about? ASU turning the ball over. That's it. I think that is the single biggest factor that will determine if we go in the record books as a repeat champion or not. Because I strongly believe that if ASU plays good or great football, they will not be beaten on Friday, even by UMass' best efforts. This team has played on a different level, especially in the playoffs. CAN we be beaten? Absolutely. But so far nobody's stepped up to a level needed to do it, both when we played a not-so-good game (MSU) and good games (CCU and YSU).

If people want to consider that smack, then fine. But it's what I truly believe and I'll need evidence to prove I am wrong. I'm not going to BS around and fake humility when I feel my team is a superior team. It's not discounting UMass in any way, shape, or form. I expect a tough game from both sides. I expect we will see some memorabale plays in this game from both sides. I also believe that the Appalachian State University football team is the better team, and will show it on Friday. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Actually, I quite enjoyed that. Thank you.

lizrdgizrd
December 12th, 2006, 08:43 AM
You just had that huge post about how ASU is superior then UMass in everything, and how UMass will not be able to match them...yea, you are discounting them.
Yeah, you're right. They are giants that move faster than light and we will be lucky not to get killed by them on Friday. Is that better? :bang: :bang: xidiotx xidiotx

mcveyrl
December 12th, 2006, 08:58 AM

As a "third party" I would like to hear a UMass fan's WELL THOUGHT OUT response to the post.

In other words, why he's wrong without saying:

"You g#$ d@#$% f@#$@#$ idiot!!"

ChickenMan
December 12th, 2006, 09:19 AM
UMass is the third team in three weeks we'll play cut out of almost the exact same mold.

I don't think so... UMass' defense is far superior to YSU's or any other FCS opponent that ASU has faced this year.

Old Cage
December 12th, 2006, 09:26 AM
The App coach is quoted in the Boston Globe this morning saying "We've got a passion for this Saturday."

I wonder if he will be at the game.

boonedocks
December 12th, 2006, 09:28 AM
The App coach is quoted in the Boston Globe this morning saying "We've got a passion for this Saturday."

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
Maybe the assistants will be there at least:D

Griswold
December 12th, 2006, 09:29 AM

The Boston Globe has been known to miss quote some people. xlolx xlolx

Plus, he is just trying to make UMass think it's on Saturday. :thumbsup:

psc2445
December 12th, 2006, 09:29 AM

ole Jerry is gettin up there you know. Maybe he is talking about the victory arrival party back in Boone:nod:

BeauFoster
December 12th, 2006, 09:41 AM

He said this last week, reffering to the YSU game. I read that quote in one of the (I believe) Winston-Salem Journal's articles around Thursday. The Globe was just late.

ncguitarplyr
December 12th, 2006, 12:26 PM
hey guys! we were the #1 obscure college score of the week according to tuesday morning quarterback! [/sarcasm]

Obscure College Score of the Week No. 1: Appalachian State 48, Youngstown State 24 (Division I-AA semifinals). Located in Youngstown, Ohio, Youngstown State has a 32-page student code of conduct that includes a 27-step appeals procedure for disputed grades.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/061212

ncguitarplyr
December 12th, 2006, 01:34 PM
what the hell...we don't run an option offense...now even newspapers are getting it wrong

On Friday, the Minutemen will take the field at Findley Stadium in Chattanooga, Tenn., and face a Southern Conference team that runs an option offense for the national championship
http://www.masslive.com/sports/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1165916063243510.xml&coll=1

SoCon48
December 12th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I don't think so... UMass' defense is far superior to YSU's or any other FCS opponent that ASU has faced this year.

So if App puts up 30 pts on the MM, then that assessment would be incorrect??????

SoCon48
December 12th, 2006, 01:40 PM
what the hell...we don't run an option offense...now even newspapers are getting it wrong

http://www.masslive.com/sports/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1165916063243510.xml&coll=1

Just guessing, but I'm thinking maybe they see the QB geting so many rushing yards that App has to be running an option attack.

ncguitarplyr
December 12th, 2006, 01:44 PM
yeah i mean we do run some option plays even but we definitly run a shotgun spread offense

ChickenMan
December 12th, 2006, 01:48 PM
So if App puts up 30 pts on the MM, then that assessment would be incorrect??????

IF.... that's a very big IF considering the fact that the most points UMass has allowed all year has been... 21.

SoCon48
December 12th, 2006, 01:50 PM
IF.... that's a very big IF considering the fact that the most points UMass has allowed all year has been... 21.
We'll discuss it Monday.

ncguitarplyr
December 12th, 2006, 03:19 PM
FINALLY the sportsnetowrk prediction!!!

No. 3 Massachusetts (13-1) vs No. 1 Appalachian State (13-1), 8:00, Chattanooga, Tennessee

For the first time since 2003, two seeded teams will meet in the national championship game. This is also the first title matchup since the Colgate/Delaware tilt that season to feature a pair of teams with one loss or less, so the Minutemen and Mountaineers have clearly earned their chance to be here with quality play throughout the season. Massachusetts improved to 13-0 on the season against I-AA/FCS opponents and won its 12th game in a row overall with a 19-17 triumph at Montana in the semifinals. The Minutemen trailed, 17-14, at halftime, but notched a safety in the third quarter and a field goal early in the fourth quarter to come back for the win. Steve Baylark ran for 169 yards and two touchdowns on 29 carries, and the Minutemen racked up 460 yards of total offense against a very tough Montana defense. The Atlantic 10 champion Minutemen moved their semifinal record to a perfect 3-0 with the victory, and will try to get on the winning side in national championship appearances on Friday. Massachusetts lost to Florida A & M, 35-28, in the first I-AA/FCS title game in 1978, but earned its only national title with a 55-43 upset of Georgia Southern in 1998.

Appalachian State will try to become the first repeat national champion since Georgia Southern in 1999-00 and join the Eagles and Youngstown State as the only programs with back-to-back national championships. The Mountaineers defeated Northern Iowa, 21-16, to win last year’s national championship in their first appearance in the game. Appalachian State boasts an extensive playoff history, and evened its semifinal record to 2-2 with a commanding, 49-24, victory over Youngstown State on Saturday. The Mountaineers ran for 353 yards and six touchdowns and led by double digits from the second quarter on. Kevin Richardson and Armanti Edwards both cracked the 100-yard barrier in rushing yardage for the third game in a row. That type of success is becoming common in Boone. The Mountaineers held the No. 1 ranking throughout most of the season, and have a 13-1 overall record with a 12-0 mark against I-AA/FCS foes. They have a 13-game overall winning streak coming in to the title game, and also boast a 21-game win streak against foes from the subdivision which dates back to a 34-31 loss at Furman in October of 2005. Appalachian State and Massachusetts have never faced each other, but both teams have experience against the opposing conference. The Mountaineers have a 16-8 record against Atlantic 10 teams, with a win over James Madison this year. They have a 4-1 mark against A-10 teams in the postseason, with a 14-13 home loss to Maine in 2002 in the most recent encounter. Massachusetts has a 2-1 record against Southern Conference teams, with all of the games in the playoffs and including the championship win over Georgia Southern.

When Massachusetts Has the Ball: The Minutemen have a balanced attack, but they would prefer to grind it out late with Baylark the same way they did against a tough Montana defense. Baylark (1827 yards, 15 TD) has efforts of 152, 198 and 169 yards in the first three playoff games, and has five playoff touchdowns already. At 6-0, 225, Baylark gets even better as the game goes on and wore down the Grizzly defense with 12 fourth-quarter carries to bleed the clock in the semifinals. Baylark is one of only five I-AA/FCS players all-timewith four 1,000-yard rushing seasons, and the Minutemen have a 22-3 record when he runs for 100 yards or more. That mark is at 9-0 this season, so Appalachian State will have to contain Baylark and a Minutemen running game that goes for 180.3 yards per game. The Mountaineers got some experience against a power running attack last week, and did a solid job when the game was in doubt against Youngstown State. Penguin running back Marcus Mason did notch 121 yards and a touchdown, but the Mountaineers held their own when they had to. The season numbers are still sparkling for the Appalachian State defense, with just 2.98 yards per carry and 105.3 rushing yards allowed per game. They have also held opponents to eight rushing touchdowns, and should give Baylark and the Minutemen one of their stiffest tests of the season. The Massachusetts offensive line has established itself as one of the best in the nation, and could get a push late against a smaller but faster Mountaineer defensive line. Massachusetts will probably try to keep most of its running game between the tackles, since Appalachian State’s speed on defense could make it hard to notch big gainers to the outside.

But the Minutemen will also need something from the passing game to have a chance to get that fourth quarter lead and ride Baylark late in the game. Quarterback Liam Coen (2795 yards, 25 TD/8 INT) has performed well and hit big plays all season, but he does come off one of his toughest games of the season with two interceptions against Montana, and has at least one pick in each playoff game. He leads a passing game that notches more than 200 yards per contest, and has a pair of big receivers in 6-foot-4 Brandon London (705 yards, 9 TD) and 6-foot-5 Rasheed Rancher. Appalachian State has good numbers against the pass as well, but the Minutemen could get a favorable matchup for big plays with the tall receivers going up against smaller Mountaineer cornerbacks. If the Minutemen can strike through the air, they could keep All-American safeties Jeremy Wiggins and Corey Lynch from creeping up in run support. The Mountaineers will also send a strong pass rush at Coen, who has only been sacked 15 times all season. Coen will need time to have any chance at a few big gainers, so the matchup on the line will be critical. The Minutemen need something from the passing game, but they really want to ride Baylark’s coattails and control the ball on the ground as much as possible.

ncguitarplyr
December 12th, 2006, 03:20 PM
When Appalachian State Has the Ball: Part of the reason the Minutemen need to control the ball and clock on offense is because no defense wants to see much of the Appalachian State offense right now. The Mountaineer running game was great all season, but it has really taken off in the postseason for huge offensive outputs and some quick drives for touchdowns. Appalachian State has totals of 334, 283 and 353 yards in rushing offense in the first three playoff games, and has 14 of its 18 postseason touchdowns on the ground. The Mountaineers put up their best performance in the semifinal victory, with a dominating 353 yards and six touchdowns on 6.8 yards per carry in the win against Youngstown State. Kevin Richardson (1497 yards, 26 TD) notched 145 yards and two touchdowns on only 18 carries last week, and has been extraordinary lately. He has 130 yards or more in all three playoff games, and has cracked the century mark eight times in the last 10 games. He has also scored at least one touchdown in every game but one, and has seven rushing touchdowns in the postseason. Richardson did leave the game against Youngstown State in the third quarter with a bruised trapezoid, but he is expected to be good to go on Friday. If he is at all limited, true freshman quarterback Armanti Edwards is very capable of picking up the load. Edwards (1072 rush yards, 15 TD) cracked the 1,000-yard mark for the season last week, and has 100-yard efforts in all three playoff games. Both players have gamebreaking speed, and lead a Mountaineer offense that ranks fourth nationally with 238.2 rushing yards per game.

The Massachusetts defense probably hasn’t seen a team with Appalachian State’s speed, but the unit has quality players at every position to keep the Mountaineers from running wild again. The Minutemen are giving up only 101.5 yards per game on the ground, and will bring a blitzing scheme to put pressure on a very good Mountaineer offensive line. Appalachian State is probably clicking too much to really be stopped, but turnovers can be a big issue. Appalachian State is near the bottom of the country with 16 fumbles lost, and has turned it over 29 times overall. Massachusetts has recovered 13 fumbles this season, and defensive back James Ihedigbo has four forced fumbles and possesses great playmaking ability. Like Massachusetts, the Mountaineers will face their tough test on run defense. They will probably need to make a few plays through the air as well, and Edwards (2015 yards, 15 TD, 9 INT) has the ability to do just that with a strong group of wide receivers. Edwards became just the fifth player in Division I history to throw for 2,000 yards and run for 1,000 in a season, so the Massachusetts defense figures to give him plenty of attention and could even use a defensive back or linebacker to keep Edwards in his sight at all times. Appalachian State is second nationally with 35.7 points per game, and scored at least 40 points eight times. On the other hand, Massachusetts leads the nation with 12.3 ppg allowed and has not given up more than 21 points in any contest. Massachusetts can probably keep the Mountaineers from exploding for more than 40 points, but will need turnovers to slow down the rolling offense.

Intangibles: All the exterior factors would seem to point in Appalachian State’s favor. The Mountaineers are familiar with this stage after winning the national title a year ago, and they should be plenty familiar with a trip to Southern Conference foe Chattanooga’s stadium. The Mountaineers are expected to bring upwards of 10,000 fans to the game, and the followers figure to be pumped for another coronation and make the game feel like a virtual home game. However, those are the same factors that went against Massachusetts a week ago. Winning in the raucous environment in Missoula should give the Minutemen plenty of confidence in any environment. Both teams have to prepare under a short week for an unfamiliar opponent, so the ability of the coaching staffs to find a wrinkle or two for the game plan could be a factor.

The Verdict: Anyone who’s read this column since July knows what’s coming here. Massachusetts is a very, very good team that I ranked at the No. 2 spot in my top 25 for most of the second half of the season, and the Minutemen have more balance on both sides of the ball than anyone in the country. But they don’t have the explosive ability and playmakers that Appalachian State possesses on each side of the ball. Edwards looks more and more sure of himself on a weekly basis, and the speed of the running game should finally crack through the Massachusetts defense. The Mountaineers can limit Baylark’s effectiveness and get some pressure on Coen if they have a lead in the fourth quarter, and that should be the case. In a matchup of two great teams, Appalachian State just has too much explosiveness and big-play ability. The Mountaineers win their second national championship in a row to solidify their position as one of the best programs in I-AA/FCS annals.

Prediction: Appalachian State 31, Massachusetts 20

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

sorry i had to break the article up so it would let me post it....anyways the prediction is almost identical to mine (app 30, umass 20)

james_lawfirm
December 12th, 2006, 07:36 PM

Why the hell can't they give us someone I've actually heard of before?

Didn't Gilmore call the UMass/Montana game? If so, I hope the rest of this crew is much better that the ESPN2 crew last week.

gamesaver22
December 13th, 2006, 12:50 AM
i guess sports network pretty much sumed this up.

no one has posted anything since 430pm and it is 2am now

Col Hogan
December 13th, 2006, 05:09 AM
I know every ASU alum isn't going to Chatty to attend the game...where will they gather in the DC area to watch? Last week the UMass and Montana alum clubs in DC got together...great time!

HiHiYikas
December 13th, 2006, 06:28 AM
I know every ASU alum isn't going to Chatty to attend the game...where will they gather in the DC area to watch? Last week the UMass and Montana alum clubs in DC got together...great time!
I know the Richmond alumni chapter is getting together. The word down here is that the DC chapter isn't especially active, though there are several hundred alums in the DC area.

APPST '93
December 13th, 2006, 07:24 AM

http://www.alumni.appstate.edu/championship/vparties.html

Go Apps
December 13th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Turnovers and stupid peanlities - if you turn those into points you will beat App

hAPPy
December 13th, 2006, 08:25 AM
:nod:

AppStateSVX
December 13th, 2006, 01:17 PM
man, the UMass fans are invading the ASU Football groups on facebook. surprise surprise though - it's mostly freshmen. A bunch of them are saying " Appalachian isn't even a State!" ( ok....point is? ) and

my favorite " We've never even HEARD OF APPALACHIAN STATE before this game"
.....obviously someone hasn't been keeping up with FCS football

ncguitarplyr
December 13th, 2006, 01:23 PM
yeah they've never heard of last year's national champions lol...well atleast they're not bandwagon fans [/sarcasm]

they may not have heard of us before but they're definitly gonna remember us

APPSTER
December 13th, 2006, 01:28 PM
How is UMass going to stop Porta-Dave and Idiot Steve?

ncguitarplyr
December 13th, 2006, 01:35 PM
this is probably one of the main reasons to go BS but then again...people haven't heard of a lot of crappy BS teams either which is what we'd probably be for atleast a decade

the score board might not hold all our numbers if we get ahead early which seems to be a trend here lately.
very good point

Maroon&White
December 13th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I love how we still don't get respect.

Appy gets no respect?!? Are you joking? Their fans are the ones that keep saying how they'll blow out UMass, certainly seems like UMass is the one getting no respect. There was an entire thread wondering if UMass actually has a chance. All talk on how UMass is going to stop Appy, not how Appy will stop UMass. Better look again who is getting no respect.

appheel
December 13th, 2006, 01:45 PM
I think its funny that fans of both teams think they aren't getting any respect from the other team.

Maroon&White
December 13th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I think its funny that fans of both teams think they aren't getting any respect from the other team.

Take a look at the posts. UMass fans certainly are saying ASU is good, but that's not happening the other way around.

AppStateSVX
December 13th, 2006, 01:49 PM

QFT.

I mean, it's understandable when both teams only have 1 loss for both to feel like they are unstoppable.

here's to a great game:thumbsup:

SoCon48
December 13th, 2006, 01:55 PM
I was shocked when App handled YSU like they did. UMass will be the toughest game of the year by far.
I don't care about spread. One pt will do me just fine.
I really think neither team will break 20.

ChickenMan
December 13th, 2006, 01:57 PM
ASU coaches had better hope that their team isn't as 'overconfident' as a lot of their fans appear to be.

AppStateSVX
December 13th, 2006, 02:19 PM
ASU coaches had better hope that their team isn't as 'overconfident' as a lot of their fans appear to be.

i'm pretty sure they understand the challenge ahead of them. The team has been VERY focused this year

SoCon48
December 13th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Lot of differnce between a bunch of young over zealous fans and the squad.
You won't hear any junk talking from our players.

DinoDex200
December 13th, 2006, 03:43 PM

Thankfully, they haven't been all year. :)

proasu89
December 13th, 2006, 04:11 PM
No offense ChickenMan but we've been hearing that for about the last 2 months on this board. I sure hope that between exams and practice they don't have the time to become 'overconfident' from listening to our drivel. ;)

B&G
December 13th, 2006, 04:40 PM
I'm sure beating a powerhouse like Montana in their house opened some eyes. Anyone who doubted UMass would be crazy to now.

APPST '93
December 13th, 2006, 06:14 PM
A little off the thread but..
Leaving for Chatty after work tomorrow. Should get in around 11pm. Where's the place to go on Thursday nights? Staying at the Choo Choo.

james_lawfirm
December 13th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Take a look at the posts. UMass fans certainly are saying ASU is good, but that's not happening the other way around.

Now, now, let's not exagerate. The majority of App posters I have seen certainly give credit to UMass. I know I sure do. The rest are goobers.

Good luck UMass. Go Apps.

james_lawfirm
December 13th, 2006, 06:54 PM
A little off the thread but..
Leaving for Chatty after work tomorrow. Should get in around 11pm. Where's the place to go on Thursday nights? Staying at the Choo Choo.

The Big River Grill. There is supposed to be an organized effort to get App fans together there. Don't know when it starts, but I'll be there.

Hope to see you there.

AppFan1010
December 13th, 2006, 07:42 PM
I have 6 tickets that I thought were going to be taken.
But are available now.

Email me at [email protected]

RadMann
December 13th, 2006, 08:03 PM
I'm pulling for Appy State all the way!!!

DrG
December 13th, 2006, 08:58 PM
I'm pulling for Appy State all the way!!!
Why do you hate freedom? :nod:

Kiss My Apps
December 13th, 2006, 10:49 PM
IMO, the championship game experience factor is being severly down played here. The hooplah around the week will be new to this year's UMASS team, while the majority of App's squad has been through it.

Think back to how tight we came out last year, on both sides of the ball and a dropped kick in the first quarter.

asuboys
December 14th, 2006, 04:07 AM
ASU's DC alumni are gathering at Garretts in Georgetown on M Street

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 14th, 2006, 05:57 AM
What team has the edge in the kicking game? I believe this is going to be a close game....UMASS by 4..........your thoughts?

hApPYaPpYFan
December 14th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Leaving for Chatty in couple hours.........good luck to both teams, more to the APPS of course! UMASS fans would love to chat with some of you guys, be safe and have a great time!

SoCon48
December 14th, 2006, 08:58 AM
What team has the edge in the kicking game? I believe this is going to be a close game....UMASS by 4..........your thoughts?

App's Rauch has been great on kick-offs the last few weeks. Very few returns. Punting is average at least.

mcveyrl
December 14th, 2006, 09:44 AM
App's Rauch has been great on kick-offs the last few weeks. Very few returns. Punting is average at least.

Yea, in the games I've watched, I don't think I've seen anybody return it AND most have hit the back of the end zone.

AppStateSVX
December 14th, 2006, 09:48 AM
^ he has really stepped up this year.....THANK GOD

thmst30
December 14th, 2006, 10:10 AM
^ he has really stepped up this year.....THANK GOD
Thats for sure. Last year he was incredibly unreliable. Jerry would usually go for it on 4th down if the field goal was going to be anywhere near or over 35 yards. However this year he is a whole new player and has been very solid. Hope he can keep it going if we need him tomorrow.

Appstate29
December 14th, 2006, 10:25 AM
All I know is if TVU doesn't have both ESPN2 up and running for this game, then I will find out who makes those decisions and heads will be rolling...

SoCon48
December 14th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Thats for sure. Last year he was incredibly unreliable. Jerry would usually go for it on 4th down if the field goal was going to be anywhere near or over 35 yards. However this year he is a whole new player and has been very solid. Hope he can keep it going if we need him tomorrow.

But he did kick timely FG's of 39, 27, 32 in the play-offs last year.

Peems
December 14th, 2006, 08:55 PM
less than 24 hours...

lizrdgizrd
December 15th, 2006, 04:41 PM
2 hours and 20 minutes!!!!

Tubby Raymond
December 15th, 2006, 06:06 PM