PDA

View Full Version : NDSU @ Indiana State Gameday Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

IBleedYellow
October 25th, 2015, 11:30 AM
I hope the NDSU vs SIU game is around a 25 point game both ways...

Houndawg
October 25th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Which has been the Bison defense's Achilles heal this year... the big play. If the NDSU defense is able to force an offense to march methodically down the field sooner or later they usually get the stop. However, they've given up 6 TDs (that I can recall, maybe more) of 60+ yards this year.

I think SIU is going to put up their share of points. I expect NDSU to do the same and like all SIU games it seems, it'll be a barn burner.

In spite of our record we haven't been boring. Except for MSU very game this year has been decided by the last posession.

Houndawg
October 25th, 2015, 02:29 PM
I hope the NDSU vs SIU game is around a 25 point game both ways...

I'm hoping for a track meet.

centennial
October 25th, 2015, 02:40 PM
I'm hoping for a track meet.
That would be ideal for SIU. Otherwise it will get ugly. NDSU is number 1 for TOP in the country, a few stops and it will get out of hand especially since you run hurry up. I am hoping since we have a few read option plays as well, we get better at defending it. I am not sure SIU can stop the NDSU offense.

IBleedYellow
October 25th, 2015, 02:42 PM
That would be ideal for SIU. Otherwise it will get ugly. NDSU is number 1 for TOP in the country, a few stops and it will get out of hand especially since you run hurry up. I am hoping since we have a few read option plays as well, we get better at defending it. I am not sure SIU can stop the NDSU offense.

I still think our OC thinks our RO is so awesome because our defense makes it look amazing when we practice.

centennial
October 25th, 2015, 02:59 PM
I still think our OC thinks our RO is so awesome because our defense makes it look amazing when we practice.
We need to run more power, since it is uncommon at the FCS level. What you say is probably true, however Stick might be a better QB for it. Carson runs well, but he isn't a true dual threat. Our problem is 2 fold-
1) Our OC play calling is inconsistent (we are trying to run too much, without opening the throw game, teams are selling out against the run).
2) Our RB's don't have good vision. Fraiser has poor vision, no second gear, poor ball security but can run through tackles. Morlock has okay-poor vision, okayish ball security he is a fullback IMO. Dunn, Anderson are okay but not great. We just don't have a good D1 RB, Stick has the best vision out of all the RB's but he is not a RB.

GABison
October 25th, 2015, 09:14 PM
With NDSU's reputation for the power run, why is it so hard to get a stable of Tyler Roehl/Dave Johnson type running backs? You would think that running backs like that would be clamoring to get into NDSU's backfield.

X-Factor
October 25th, 2015, 09:58 PM
With NDSU's reputation for the power run, why is it so hard to get a stable of Tyler Roehl/Dave Johnson type running backs? You would think that running backs like that would be clamoring to get into NDSU's backfield.
That is the science of recruiting. Why isn't Carson Wentz playing for Ohio State?

BisonFan02
October 25th, 2015, 10:11 PM

Be patient....Dunn and Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce are going to be good....

Missingnumber7
October 25th, 2015, 10:40 PM
QB cannot be a RB. We need to limit the QB runs. If he gets injured we are down to third string.

Stick isn't just running the ball because that is the play, hes running the ball because hes reading keep. He does need to learn to get down and not go head first. He took a couple unnecessary shots this week, a couple he needed to go head first to get the 1st down. But he needs to learn to take care of his body and not take to shots that aren't necessary. I think you will see more RB carries out of the RO going forward because of how much Stick held the ball, although I would be interested what wrinkles they throw in there, because there are lots of other thing you can do out of the RO look.

Houndawg
October 25th, 2015, 10:41 PM

We haven't stopped anybody's offense yet.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 26th, 2015, 07:18 AM
We need to run more power, since it is uncommon at the FCS level. What you say is probably true, however Stick might be a better QB for it. Carson runs well, but he isn't a true dual threat. Our problem is 2 fold-
1) Our OC play calling is inconsistent (we are trying to run too much, without opening the throw game, teams are selling out against the run).
2) Our RB's don't have good vision. Fraiser has poor vision, no second gear, poor ball security but can run through tackles. Morlock has okay-poor vision, okayish ball security he is a fullback IMO. Dunn, Anderson are okay but not great. We just don't have a good D1 RB, Stick has the best vision out of all the RB's but he is not a RB.

These two guys probably could be good D1 RBs but not with the rotation Polacek is doing now. Frazier's fumbling is a definite concern.

If the Bison are going to beat SIU, they need to throw the ball for more than 100 yards. SIU will crowd the box and make Stick beat them with his arm....I would. But if they can run the play-action pass and roll out passes should be there. Screen game should also be effective.

I think the Bison will be able to run. It will come down to the defense and if they can contain the SIU offense or at least make them earn scores, not give up big plays.

Missingnumber7
October 26th, 2015, 09:35 AM
These two guys probably could be good D1 RBs but not with the rotation Polacek is doing now. Frazier's fumbling is a definite concern.

If the Bison are going to beat SIU, they need to throw the ball for more than 100 yards. SIU will crowd the box and make Stick beat them with his arm....I would. But if they can run the play-action pass and roll out passes should be there. Screen game should also be effective.

I think the Bison will be able to run. It will come down to the defense and if they can contain the SIU offense or at least make them earn scores, not give up big plays.

I think if they are moving to a more read option offense with Stick it will definitely help all of the RB's as it will take some focus off of them and Stick will have some easier give reads. Once it balances out and they can't key on the RB as much you will see our running game open up some more. I think we have been fairly quick to abandon the run game and certain aspects of it fairly early when Wentz was the QB and in some cases Wentz was our only run option. Hopefully there are some wrinkles they are putting in with the Read option to make our offense slightly less predictable. Although I did like what I did see from Stick on Saturday. The connection between him and RJ will show up more and more as the season goes along, and it may open up Vraa for some looks that weren't there before. I did notice that Stick did on a few occations actually look the safety off, and for a young QB to do this is a big deal. I think there should be tons of hope for the opportunities that this may open up.

Sycamore62
October 26th, 2015, 11:17 AM
I thought the running style of Stick was the same as the SDSU freshman last week. Very effective but some point soon he will be taking the concussion protocols or having plates, and screws put somewhere.

I thought Stick was on the verge of throwing a Pick-6 all day on his crossing patterns.

however he looks to have some skills necessary to be a good player.

Our kick returners need to either learn the rules or stand on the 1yd line and not reach past their shoulders to catch a kickoff. I thought maybe we had a "kickin for chickin" contest prior to the game to see who got to return kickoffs. I was looking around to see if there was someone who came out of the stands to dress and return them.

Missingnumber7
October 26th, 2015, 01:45 PM
I thought the running style of Stick was the same as the SDSU freshman last week. Very effective but some point soon he will be taking the concussion protocols or having plates, and screws put somewhere.

I thought Stick was on the verge of throwing a Pick-6 all day on his crossing patterns.

however he looks to have some skills necessary to be a good player.

Our kick returners need to either learn the rules or stand on the 1yd line and not reach past their shoulders to catch a kickoff. I thought maybe we had a "kickin for chickin" contest prior to the game to see who got to return kickoffs. I was looking around to see if there was someone who came out of the stands to dress and return them.

Yea communication between both deep guys on KO was lacking.

centennial
October 26th, 2015, 01:53 PM
I think if they are moving to a more read option offense with Stick it will definitely help all of the RB's as it will take some focus off of them and Stick will have some easier give reads. Once it balances out and they can't key on the RB as much you will see our running game open up some more. I think we have been fairly quick to abandon the run game and certain aspects of it fairly early when Wentz was the QB and in some cases Wentz was our only run option. Hopefully there are some wrinkles they are putting in with the Read option to make our offense slightly less predictable. Although I did like what I did see from Stick on Saturday. The connection between him and RJ will show up more and more as the season goes along, and it may open up Vraa for some looks that weren't there before. I did notice that Stick did on a few occations actually look the safety off, and for a young QB to do this is a big deal. I think there should be tons of hope for the opportunities that this may open up.
I would much rather turn into NIU, than the second coming of ISUr. I re-watched some of the game yesterday, we look like any other college offense now. We might have run power a few times, most run plays were zone. I know Easton is more suited to read option but I would rather see more short throws, and play action. Occasional read option I am fine with BUT not every play. We seem to have no identity.

Missingnumber7
October 26th, 2015, 02:23 PM
I would much rather turn into NIU, than the second coming of ISUr. I re-watched some of the game yesterday, we look like any other college offense now. We might have run power a few times, most run plays were zone. I know Easton is more suited to read option but I would rather see more short throws, and play action. Occasional read option I am fine with BUT not every play. We seem to have no identity.
I agree with not having an identity. I was happy to see the return of a decent bootleg and see the Stick square up and throw it. I think Stick fits the west coast style that we have been running for years, but I'm not sure if we are just missing some OL or if its a RB issue that's keeping us from running it. I think the RO look is tough to defend if you have a player that can execute it, and there are definitely some wrinkles that you can incorporate into it. Just not sure if we have the players across the board to be successful in that type of system.

Bison56
October 26th, 2015, 02:24 PM

You nailed it.

centennial
October 26th, 2015, 03:29 PM
I agree with not having an identity. I was happy to see the return of a decent bootleg and see the Stick square up and throw it. I think Stick fits the west coast style that we have been running for years, but I'm not sure if we are just missing some OL or if its a RB issue that's keeping us from running it. I think the RO look is tough to defend if you have a player that can execute it, and there are definitely some wrinkles that you can incorporate into it. Just not sure if we have the players across the board to be successful in that type of system.
My comment was more in the line with Stick would be better for RO vs Wentz. I think he would be Jensen like with West Coast, with better running ability and similar throwing ability(but might get better).

Missingnumber7
October 27th, 2015, 09:42 AM
My comment was more in the line with Stick would be better for RO vs Wentz. I think he would be Jensen like with West Coast, with better running ability and similar throwing ability(but might get better).
Yup. I would like to see them in more of a pistol look, similar to what Denver uses. It gives more forward motion to the backs than the side to side with the RO.