PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week Eight

ElCid
October 18th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Power Rankings
1. UTC: Escaped the Keydets, but was down on the road and came back nice, sign of good team
2. The Citadel: Put up what was probably one of the best games they have had (against a good team) in many a year, on the road to boot; no turnovers, 1 penalty with 3 minutes to play, +10M in TOP, 400+ rushing; creative play calling when apprropiate and near pefect execution in the run game; The Citadel D neutered Eubank; allowed lots of yards late but controlled the Samford O
3. Samford: The Citadel had 2 punts inside Samford's 2 yard line and Samford scored on both drives; they can move the ball
4. WCU: Nice road victory, and the first in Spartanburg since 1981, wow
5. Furman: I think they may be quietly dangerous
6. Mercer: Handled ETSU as they should have
7. VMI: A respectable perfomance gets them out of the basement
8. Wofford: In a death spiral

Predictions
The Citadel at Furman - always a tough foe for the Bulldogs and they have not won back to back at Furman since 92 and 94; if they replicate what they did against Samford, Furman does not have a chance; not sure they can maintain the intensity, but maybe just enough - 26-20
UTC at Wofford - UTC seems luke warm at times but with the way the Terriers have been lately, I think they put them away fairly easily which would be their first victory in Sparkle City since 1998 which is also the last time that The Citadel beat the rat dogs anywhere....that is until this year - 35-14
VMI at Mercer - Seriously hard one to call; VMI is dangerous, they played Ball and Furman close on the road, should have beat Bucknell, played UTC to a score and gave Samford fits until the 4th; VMI is probably still smarting from last year's loss to the Bears as well and they are due for a breakthough; the only problem is, so is Mercer; they are 14 points from being undefeated even if their schedule has not been too tough so far except maybe for their game at WCU; got to give the edge to the Care Bears - 31-28
Samford at WCU - Another difficult one to call on paper, but Samford has got to figure their season is in serious danger and they have the talent to dominate if they regroup, they need to win out if they have any hopes for a playoff spot and they have never lost at WCU - 38-24

walliver
October 18th, 2015, 11:49 AM
1) The Citadel - they are the hottest team right now
2) Chattanooga - Still my pick to win the conference, but have been playing just well-enough lately
3) Furman - not making much noise lately, still hasn't faced the heart of their SoCon schedule
4) Samford - Their schedule gets a little easier, but the lustre of the hatch attack has worn thin this year.
5) WCU - middle of the pack at best this year
6) VMI - close losses don't count for much, but they are better than bad losses.
7) Wofford - More like a MASH unit than a football team, but injuries alone don't produce 4 turnovers in one half.
8) Mercer - gets placed last for scheduling ETSU.

Predictions:
The Citadel at Furman - The Horsies have had two weeks to prepare but their offense really needs to step up to outscore the bellhops. Bullpups 35 - Barneys 24
Chatty at Wofford - This used to be a gimme win. We haven't schemed them well the last two years and our offense in in disarray. Although I hope for an upset, I expect a 31-10 Chatty win :(
VMI at Mercer - Mercer has overcome two heartbreaking losses with a win over Science Hill High School. They won't take the toy soldiers for granted and the Teddys wins 42-28.
Samford at WCU - The Cants are middle of the pack, and I still don't have a good feel for Samford. I suspect the Hatch Attack gets rolling and the Bama Dogs pull out a 41-26 win.

ETSU at Montana State - What was their AD smoking? This game will be downright embarrassing. ETSU may be a first year program, but Kennesaw is 5-1 and undefeated in the Big South. I suspect the Bucs will struggle until they can show recruits an on-campus stadium. This game is too lopsided to pick a score.

catamount man
October 18th, 2015, 12:24 PM
1) The Citadel
2) Chatt
3) WCU
4) Samford
5) Furman
6) Mercer
7) VMI
8) Wofford

Citadel 43-24
Chatty 31-13
WCU 31-24
Mercer 31-30

GO CATS!!!

The Cats
October 18th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Citadel at Furman
UTC at Wofford
VMI at Mercer
Samford at WCU

PaladinFan
October 18th, 2015, 02:20 PM
I've reached the point where I think there is such parity week to week in this conference that everyone has to show up every single week.

ElCid
October 18th, 2015, 02:56 PM
I've reached the point where I think there is such parity week to week in this conference that everyone has to show up every single week.

Bingo. Top to bottom I think any team in the SOCON is capable of winning any SOCON game. The only problem with that is this results in a perception that the SOCON is weak and that is just not the case. We, the SOCON, dropped a couple OOC games we should not have and the OOC games were a little on the weak side at times, but we were 11-6 against FCS. That includes 4 one score losses which include JSU and CCU. Plus you can through in one FBS scalp....so far.

kdinva
October 18th, 2015, 03:49 PM
The Citadel 30 at Furman 20
UTC 37 at Wofford 24
VMI 27 at Mercer 26
Samford 31 at WCU 33

longtimemocfan
October 18th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Power Rankings
1. UTC: Escaped the Keydets, but was down on the road and came back nice, sign of good team
2. The Citadel: Put up what was probably one of the best games they have had (against a good team) in many a year, on the road to boot; no turnovers, 1 penalty with 3 minutes to play, +10M in TOP, 400+ rushing; creative play calling when apprropiate and near pefect execution in the run game; The Citadel D neutered Eubank; allowed lots of yards late but controlled the Samford O
3. Samford: The Citadel had 2 punts inside Samford's 2 yard line and Samford scored on both drives; they can move the ball
4. WCU: Nice road victory, and the first in Spartanburg since 1981, wow
5. Furman: I think they may be quietly dangerous
6. Mercer: Handled ETSU as they should have
7. VMI: A respectable perfomance gets them out of the basement
8. Wofford: In a death spiral

Predictions
The Citadel at Furman - always a tough foe for the Bulldogs and they have not won back to back at Furman since 92 and 94; if they replicate what they did against Samford, Furman does not have a chance; not sure they can maintain the intensity, but maybe just enough - 26-20
UTC at Wofford - UTC seems luke warm at times but with the way the Terriers have been lately, I think they put them away fairly easily which would be their first victory in Sparkle City since 1998 which is also the last time that The Citadel beat the rat dogs anywhere....that is until this year - 35-14
VMI at Mercer - Seriously hard one to call; VMI is dangerous, they played Ball and Furman close on the road, should have beat Bucknell, played UTC to a score and gave Samford fits until the 4th; VMI is probably still smarting from last year's loss to the Bears as well and they are due for a breakthough; the only problem is, so is Mercer; they are 14 points from being undefeated even if their schedule has not been too tough so far except maybe for their game at WCU; got to give the edge to the Care Bears - 31-28
Samford at WCU - Another difficult one to call on paper, but Samford has got to figure their season is in serious danger and they have the talent to dominate if they regroup, they need to win out if they have any hopes for a playoff spot and they have never lost at WCU - 38-24

The Citadel always scares me more playing in Chattanooga than in Charleston. We've won the 3 games in Charleston rather easily under Huesman, but the three in Chattanooga have all been very close. With the way The Citadel has been playing makes me very nervous about playing them. Luckily we have several weeks before that game rolls around.

longtimemocfan
October 18th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Hats off to VMI. Yes we out gained them 490-266, but they played with a lot of heart and effort. Lot different team than I saw last year.

ElCid
October 18th, 2015, 04:36 PM
The Citadel always scares me more playing in Chattanooga than in Charleston. We've won the 3 games in Charleston rather easily under Huesman, but the three in Chattanooga have all been very close. With the way The Citadel has been playing makes me very nervous about playing them. Luckily we have several weeks before that game rolls around.

I would love for my Dogs to run the table for a SOCON showdown in Chattanooga on 14 Nov. We have Furman, Mercer and VMI in the way and as mentioned, there are no easy wins in the SOCON. Furman and VMI are always "record does not matter" grudge matches. I am not sure why we have issues with some teams at home, but you are right, the games in Chatty have been close.

DoWe
October 18th, 2015, 06:35 PM
Hey everyone congratulate me because I went 4-0 last week picking in what might be the easiest week to pick all season. I must admit I waited until it became a little more clear on who has what to enter this fray, but if you matched me last week congratulations! This week I put my perfect record on the line with these least likely to lose candidates, in order of their least likeliness.

UTC
Citadel
Mercer
WCU

ElCid
October 18th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Hey everyone congratulate me because I went 4-0 last week picking in what might be the easiest week to pick all season. I must admit I waited until it became a little more clear on who has what to enter this fray, but if you matched me last week congratulations! This week I put my perfect record on the line with these least likely to lose candidates, in order of their least likeliness.

UTC
Citadel
Mercer
WCU

I have to say you did nail it. While I knew we could win, I did not think it likely. Me of little faith.

DoWe
October 18th, 2015, 07:57 PM
I have to say you did nail it. While I knew we could win, I did not think it likely. Me of little faith.
Thank you ElCid, but I think several others picked a clean slate last week. Like I mentioned, it was an easy week to join this thread. Regardless, MH is a winner. Winners win!

bonarae
October 18th, 2015, 08:12 PM
UTC
The Citadel
Mercer
WCU

Bonus: Montana State (vs. ETSU) - I think ETSU's players are not talented enough to even win a game this year. xsmhx

OL FU
October 19th, 2015, 05:40 AM
1. Chattanooga
2. The Citadel
3. Samford
4. Furman
5. Western Carolina
6. Wofford
7. Mercer
8. VMI

Chatt at WC
VMI at Mercer
Samford at Western Carolina
Citadel at Furman - I have picked The Citadel game wrong the last three times. Here is to picking them wrong again:)

Smitty
October 19th, 2015, 08:03 AM
1. Chattanooga - I have a feeling that the gap between 1 and 2 is shrinking
2. The Citadel - Will they be able to knock UTC off the top soon?
3. Samford - Rough loss but will probably rebound this week
4. Furman - Will they stop Cit's run?
5. Western Carolina - Good win, however clock management needs work
6. Mercer - Did what they were suppose to
7. Wofford - I don't think there are talks for a new coaching staff yet
8. VMI - I don't think I've ever cheered for VMI as hard as I did Saturday, good effort

UTC at Wofford
VMI at Mercer - Although I could see VMI upsetting Mercer
Samford at Western Carolina - it is really hard to pick my Catamounts
Citadel at Furman - Furman is doing well but Cit is doing better

Catamount87
October 19th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Power Rankings
1. The Citadel - Disciplined, focused and consistently playing solid ball with very creative play calling. Hats off to the coaching staff in Charleston
2. UTC - 2 TDs in 7 trips to the redzone against the worst defense in the SoCon, unacceptable for a highly ranked team
3. Samford - A potent offense that makes up for some shortcomings on defense
4. WCU - Close to finding all of that 2014 offensive magic. Solid, bend-don't-break defense that needs to be better against runs to the outside
5. Furman - The SoCon's version of Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
6. Mercer - Easy win this week that isn't helping them learn how to deal with and defeat adversity
8. Wofford - Serious execution problems with 5 turnovers on Sat and 11 fumbles on the season
7. VMI - Proof that no one in the SoCon can take another team lightly

Predictions
The Citadel at Furman - Those bellhops are firing on all cylinders right now
UTC at Wofford - UTC because the wheels are coming off the Wofford bus
VMI at Mercer - It'll be a shootout for sure. VMI because I think they are starting to believe while Mercer is starting to question
Samford at WCU - This is the game that has scared me all season. I'm going with my Catamounts.

tenNesseeCat
October 19th, 2015, 08:53 AM
UTC
The Citadel
WCU
SU
FU
MU
WC
VMI

Predictions:
The Citadel @ FU - 27-17 -The Citadel is playing well right now, and their D can stop FU

UTC @ WC - 35-10 - WC is in a bad downward spiral

VMI @ MU - 31-28 - Hard game to pick, but I'll go against VMI until they win one in SoCon play

SU @ WCU - 27-21 - WCU will have to play their best game of the season against a desperate SU team

PaladinFan
October 19th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Kind of a neat video of pregame warmups during the UTC/Furman game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTqLHJPTQT0

Not something you typically get to see during a standard broadcast.

PaladinFan
October 19th, 2015, 09:33 AM
I suppose this is do or die time for Wofford and Mercer this week. No team has ever won a SoCon title with three conference losses.

A loss will probably knock Wofford out of postseason contention all together and would put Mercer of life support. VMI's post season hopes are already done.

Also big weeks for Furman and Samford. I don't think the straits are as dire as Wofford or Mercers, but another SoCon loss would pretty much guarantee the need to win out to have a hail mary shot at the post season.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 19th, 2015, 09:54 AM
I was 4-0 again this week. It looks like Chattanooga could be facing The Citadel with the conference title on the line soon. Here's where I have it after this week.

1) Chattanooga - Was successful against VMI
2) The Citadel - Manhandled Samford
3) Western Carolina - Took care of business against Wofford
4) Furman - Off this week
5) Samford - Got roughed up at home.
6) Wofford - Had another tough loss
7) Mercer - Sank ETSU's chances of a winning season
8) VMI - Had nothing to be ashamed of.
ETSU - Another game, another beatdown.

Predictions
Chattanooga @ Wofford - Mocs continue their conference winning streak.
The Citadel @ Furman (Game of the Week) - Bulldogs complete sweep of in-state conference rivals.
VMI @ Mercer - Bears collect their first conference win of the season.
Samford @ Western Carolina - Catamounts continue their winning ways.
ETSU @ Montana State - (FireCarlTorbush.com Beatdown of the Week) - I can't see ETSU giving up less than 50 points.

PaladinFan
October 19th, 2015, 11:08 AM
I was 4-0 again this week. It looks like Chattanooga could be facing The Citadel with the conference title on the line soon. Here's where I have it after this week.

1) Chattanooga - Was successful against VMI
2) The Citadel - Manhandled Samford
3) Western Carolina - Took care of business against Wofford
4) Furman - Off this week
5) Samford - Got roughed up at home.
6) Wofford - Had another tough loss
7) Mercer - Sank ETSU's chances of a winning season
8) VMI - Had nothing to be ashamed of.
ETSU - Another game, another beatdown.

Predictions
Chattanooga @ Wofford - Mocs continue their conference winning streak.
The Citadel @ Furman (Game of the Week) - Bulldogs complete sweep of in-state conference rivals.
VMI @ Mercer - Bears collect their first conference win of the season.
Samford @ Western Carolina - Catamounts continue their winning ways.
ETSU @ Montana State - (FireCarlTorbush.com Beatdown of the Week) - I can't see ETSU giving up less than 50 points.

If ETSU surrenders less than 50 against MSU, it will be a banner day for the Bucs.

Surprising to me that a SoCon school essentially wrote a pretty good plan on how to startup a program a few years ago, and ETSU just did the complete opposite.

Mocs123
October 19th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Chattanooga 30 Mocs get their first win in Spartanburg since 1998
Wofford 24

Citadel 28 Furman’s Defense is legit, but Citadel is hitting on all cylinders and their offense can’t keep up
Furman 21

VMI 34 I could see this one going either way, but I think Mercer wins at home in a shootout
Mercer 38

Samford 27 I think this is another shootout and Samford has the playmakers to win this game, you just wonder if there are other problems in Birmingham.
Western 24

ETSU 0 Montana State wins by as many as they want
Montana State 49

1.) Chattanooga - Defense decided to take the first half off against VMI and the offense decided it didn’t want to go past the 10 yard line but we came out with a win
2.) Citadel - Playing good football on both sides of the ball
3.) Samford - Loaded with talent, but can’t seem to put it together
4.) Furman - Stout defense, but offense is a mess
5.) Western Carolina - Talented team moving up - The Citadel loss looks better and better
6.) Wofford - I think Wofford caught Furman’s injury bug
7.) Mercer - Playing tough with everyone
8.) VMI - Much stronger team than last year
9.) ETSU - The new VMI

FUBeAR
October 19th, 2015, 06:50 PM
If ETSU surrenders less than 50 against MSU, it will be a banner day for the Bucs.

Surprising to me that a SoCon school essentially wrote a pretty good plan on how to startup a program a few years ago, and ETSU just did the complete opposite.

I just read on the ETSU message board that Montana State is paying the Bucs $300k-400k for this game. Anyone have any knowledge of that? Not my area of expertise at all, but that sounds high to me. Maybe not with ETSU having to cover travel expenses, etc. I think I read where the LameCocks paid FU like $350k to play a couple of years back. I know a short trip down I-26 and back is a lot cheaper, but is just sounds like a lot for one FCS school to pay another for a game. PaladinFan, I know you know your 'stuff' way better than I do, what say you about this?

PaladinFan
October 19th, 2015, 07:31 PM
I just read on the ETSU message board that Montana State is paying the Bucs $300k-400k for this game. Anyone have any knowledge of that? Not my area of expertise at all, but that sounds high to me. Maybe not with ETSU having to cover travel expenses, etc. I think I read where the LameCocks paid FU like $350k to play a couple of years back. I know a short trip down I-26 and back is a lot cheaper, but is just sounds like a lot for one FCS school to pay another for a game. PaladinFan, I know you know your 'stuff' way better than I do, what say you about this?

I have no idea. I imagine it would be significant enough to convince a start up program to fly across the country to get their butts whipped and not raise their national profile.

What did Idaho pay Wofford? I imagine that would be a decent comp.

BearDownMU
October 19th, 2015, 08:09 PM
Spreads:

Chattanooga (-10.5) @ Wofford
The Citadel (-6.5) @ Furman
VMI @ Mercer (-9.5)
Samford (-3.5) @ Western Carolina

tenNesseeCat
October 20th, 2015, 07:36 AM
https://www.facebook.com/mattstillwellmusic/videos/10153605130199566/

Catamount87
October 20th, 2015, 07:57 AM
What are the odds that there will be some shine flowing at homecoming? :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRy8xppsh88

tenNesseeCat
October 20th, 2015, 08:22 AM
I'm bringing some of mine!xthumbsupxxdrunkyxxbeerchugx
Well it's clear peach brandy anyway!

Toby
October 20th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Massey FCS Composite with change from last week.

1. UTC 11, -2
2. Citadel 19, +9
3. WCU 32, +21
4. Samford 37, -14
5. Furman 46, 0
6. Wofford 52, -8
7. Mercer 76, +2
8. VMI 100, 0
9. ETSU 121, +1

At least in the FCS computer poll, Citadel has moved into the top 20.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 20th, 2015, 06:37 PM

Surprising to me that a then CAA, now CUSA school essentially wrote a pretty good plan on how to startup a program a few years ago, and ETSU just did the complete opposite.

FIFY. I also read on the ETSU message board that ETSU did indeed consult with ODU. I believe it. And I also believe that North Texas will knock off Tennessee.

walliver
October 21st, 2015, 01:28 PM
FIFY. I also read on the ETSU message board that ETSU did indeed consult with ODU. I believe it. And I also believe that North Texas will knock off Tennessee.

I think a big part of ETSU's poor start is related to lack of a stadium. Of the recent successful start-ups. I can't think of a single one that started play at a high school stadium. I suspect this is a big downer when recruits come to visit.

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2015, 01:36 PM
Speaking of startups, Furman announces they will play a home and home with Kennesaw State in 2016 and 2019. http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2015-16/releases/20151021l511tn

I suppose KSU will fill the hole left by buying out Jacksonville State.

FUGameBreaker
October 21st, 2015, 01:38 PM
citadel sucks

and shannon faulkner paved the way for ugly women everywhere to attend xlolx

FUGameBreaker
October 21st, 2015, 01:40 PM

Why the heck did you guys hire Carl Torbush, he lost to Furman at UNC tarheels, how the heck is he suppose to win at ETSU??

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of startups, Furman announces they will play a home and home with Kennesaw State in 2016 and 2019. http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2015-16/releases/20151021l511tn

Good series I like it, Michigan State, Kennesaw State, and Coastal Carolina next year, that's a solid OOC slate

ETSUfan1
October 21st, 2015, 01:58 PM
ETSU at Montana State - What was their AD smoking?

Montana State is giving us a big check to come there.

ElCid
October 21st, 2015, 04:57 PM
Good series I like it, Michigan State, Kennesaw State, and Coastal Carolina next year, that's a solid OOC slate

0-3 xsmhx .......because......Furman sucks.

ETSUfan1
October 21st, 2015, 05:36 PM
The Montana State check is between 200k and 250k.

FUBeAR
October 21st, 2015, 05:55 PM

Cool - FU will be able to get an FBS win over KSU in 2019 when they are challenging Appy and GaSou for the top spot in the SlumBelt Conference

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2015, 06:11 PM
Cool - FU will be able to get an FBS win over KSU in 2019 when they are challenging Appy and GaSou for the top spot in the SlumBelt Conference

Have they already announced a move to the FBS, or is it just assumed?

You would think they'd have learned something from their friends inside the perimeter.

FUBeAR
October 21st, 2015, 06:24 PM
Have they already announced a move to the FBS, or is it just assumed?

You would think they'd have learned something from their friends inside the perimeter.

"We are so truly happy and excited for our 33,000 Student University in a major metro area in the heart of the football-crazy Southern US to be part of the Big South Conference and FCS. Can't you tell by my smile? I mean, there have to be many, many schools in the FCS that have that same 'footprint,' right?"https://ireckonthat.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/liar-liar.jpg

OrangeAndBlack
October 22nd, 2015, 06:01 PM
My Power Ranks

1. UTC
2. The Citadel
---
3. WCU
4. Samford
5. Furman
6. Wofford
7. Mercer
8. VMI
--
--
--
--
ETSU

It's tough to rank #3-8. VMI and Mercer own their respective spots until they win SoCon games (which they are both looking more than capable of doing!).

Wofford 16 @ UTC 30
Furman 9 @ The Citadel 41
Mercer 38 @ VMI 27
WCU 24 @ Samford 23

ElCid
October 22nd, 2015, 10:11 PM
Furman 9 @ The Citadel 41

Wow. I only hope it is that easy. Got a feeling it wont be. I have a sneaky suspicion that Furman may be better than everyone thinks. We will know Saturday.

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2015, 05:17 AM
Wow. I only hope it is that easy. Got a feeling it wont be. I have a sneaky suspicion that Furman may be better than everyone thinks. We will know Saturday.

I think it will be much tougher sledding. I'm not convinced 9 isn't a realistic number for Furman, but I am pretty confident the Citadel won't score 41.

My opinion is this game is going to come down to whether Furman's offense figured anything out during the off week. If not, I think you will see a game like many Furman games the last few years - tight for most of the contest until the defense wears out in the second half.

ElCid
October 23rd, 2015, 06:08 AM
I think it will be much tougher sledding. I'm not convinced 9 isn't a realistic number for Furman, but I am pretty confident the Citadel won't score 41.

My opinion is this game is going to come down to whether Furman's offense figured anything out during the off week. If not, I think you will see a game like many Furman games the last few years - tight for most of the contest until the defense wears out in the second half.

If you get any sort of run game going, to take some clock away from us, that could work either way. To stop the run or to not stop the run, that is the question, for both. We have stopped it lately. If we both stop it, and it comes down to passing, you got an edge, and a long kicker. Ours isn't bad, but yours might be a tad better.

Sandlapper Spike
October 23rd, 2015, 07:32 AM
I have no illusions that it will be anything less than a very tough game.

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2015, 07:33 AM
If you get any sort of run game going, to take some clock away from us, that could work either way. To stop the run or to not stop the run, that is the question, for both. We have stopped it lately. If we both stop it, and it comes down to passing, you got an edge, and a long kicker. Ours isn't bad, but yours might be a tad better.

It is difficult to really pin point what Furman's issue is on offense. Most fans seem to be pretty comfortable with the personnel. I am starting to see a lot of similarities, though, to the last time Coach Sorrells ran the offense. A lot of different formations, tons of complexity, but the ball does not get in the endzone.

Furman has to run the ball. The entire offense is built around that. Furman has talent at QB and WR, but has struggled to keep defenses from just overloading them up front. There has been little to keep them honest, often getting in predictable down and distances. Furman isn't a bad third down team, they are a bad first down team.

What I don't know is whether our offensive ineffectiveness is the result of playing a lot of really good defenses (which we have), or something more systemic. I do not think it is personnel. The game against UTC was really the first one where you saw shades of 2014. If you cover up the final score, the statistics were not drastically one sided, but poor offensive play just gave UTC short fields time and time again.

Defensively, I think we will be fine. Furman is going to be a tough matchup for Citadel's offense. Paladins have quick defensive linemen and three linebackers that can cover sideline to sideline. Paladins also have defensive backs that are as good against the run as any I've seen in Greenville in years.

walliver
October 23rd, 2015, 09:09 AM
"We are so truly happy and excited for our 33,000 Student University in a major metro area in the heart of the football-crazy Southern US to be part of the Big South Conference and FCS. Can't you tell by my smile? I mean, there have to be many, many schools in the FCS that have that same 'footprint,' right?"

I suspect Kennesaw State is C-USA bound. They have already won a Big South game in their first year, and will likely dominate a CCU-less Big South very soon. Liberty may be able to hang with them, but is hard to see how GWU, PC, and CSU will compete consistently.

Their weak link, however, is basketball. They are at best a middle-of-the-pack Atlantic Sun team. Last year they were tied for next-to-last place.

Still, it is a large institution with lots of local students in a large TV market, and will attract the attention of C-USA. I suspect that if the school had the word "Atlanta", or even "Georgia", in its name, it would already be in C-USA.

I don't see the Sun Belt offering a bid with 2 teams already in Georgia. The MWC and MAC are geographically poor fits, and the AAC is not likely to take a FCS team (for ego reasons).

OL FU
October 23rd, 2015, 09:40 AM
It is difficult to really pin point what Furman's issue is on offense. Most fans seem to be pretty comfortable with the personnel. I am starting to see a lot of similarities, though, to the last time Coach Sorrells ran the offense. A lot of different formations, tons of complexity, but the ball does not get in the endzone.

Furman has to run the ball. The entire offense is built around that. Furman has talent at QB and WR, but has struggled to keep defenses from just overloading them up front. There has been little to keep them honest, often getting in predictable down and distances. Furman isn't a bad third down team, they are a bad first down team.

What I don't know is whether our offensive ineffectiveness is the result of playing a lot of really good defenses (which we have), or something more systemic. I do not think it is personnel. The game against UTC was really the first one where you saw shades of 2014. If you cover up the final score, the statistics were not drastically one sided, but poor offensive play just gave UTC short fields time and time again.

Defensively, I think we will be fine. Furman is going to be a tough matchup for Citadel's offense. Paladins have quick defensive linemen and three linebackers that can cover sideline to sideline. Paladins also have defensive backs that are as good against the run as any I've seen in Greenville in years.

Been trying to figure that out myself. Looking at the roster says we should be doing a lot better on the offensive side of the ballxeyebrowx

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2015, 10:10 AM
Been trying to figure that out myself. Looking at the roster says we should be doing a lot better on the offensive side of the ballxeyebrowx

I cannot remember the years (late 2000s, I think), but I recall sitting in the stands in a furor over what we were doing on offense. I am starting to see the same stuff again.

I could go line by line, but generally speaking, we seem to emphasize giving defenses a lot of different looks, but do not routinely execute those plays. We will go into a double wing formation for instance, but never pitch the ball to a wing back.

What good is it to come out in 12 different formations and run two or three plays out of each look? You don't have to be Nick Saban to figure this stuff out. It has now been several years of being utterly deficient on offense, you would think something would have to give.

Just my opinion here. Furman wants to be a physical run-oriented team. They still use fullbacks and TEs when most teams don't. Why throw flare passes to running backs, then? Why putz around with a lot of rope a dope back there playing "where's the ball?"

Line it up and hit someone. I thought for certain with our stable of big fullbacks and TEs we'd run a lot of heavy-set offenses, moving those big bodies around the formation to outflank defenses. Nope. Flare pass to a 5'9 running back. That's what we get.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 23rd, 2015, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=FUGameBreaker;2270091]Why the heck did you guys hire Carl Torbush, he lost to Furman at UNC tarheels, how the heck is he suppose to win at ETSU??

Timing, we ended up hiring a coach very late in the game. Randy Sanders (former UT OC now at Florida St) declined because he was just hired at Florida State. Jamey Chadwell (my original #1 choice) was hired at Charleston Southern.

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2015, 11:11 AM
[QUOTE=FUGameBreaker;2270091]Why the heck did you guys hire Carl Torbush, he lost to Furman at UNC tarheels, how the heck is he suppose to win at ETSU??

Timing, we ended up hiring a coach very late in the game. Randy Sanders (former UT OC now at Florida St) declined because he was just hired at Florida State. Jamey Chadwell (my original #1 choice) was hired at Charleston Southern.

Probably a tough sell for a coach with upward potential to leave the comforts of an established program to build something brand new.

Not sure Mercer fans appreciate how rare it was for Bobby Lamb to sort of be "available" at the same time Mercer decided to restart its program. Not only is he a good coach, but he also comes with a "book of business" contacts for recruiting.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 23rd, 2015, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n;2270788]

Probably a tough sell for a coach with upward potential to leave the comforts of an established program to build something brand new.

Not sure Mercer fans appreciate how rare it was for Bobby Lamb to sort of be "available" at the same time Mercer decided to restart its program. Not only is he a good coach, but he also comes with a "book of business" contacts for recruiting.

To quote the late Lewis Grizzard, Mercer got themselves a franchise.

BearDownMU
October 23rd, 2015, 01:07 PM

Pretty aware, I think.

I've had that conversation a lot and I think the consensus is we all understand the timing of him being available plus his experience with the region and level of football we hoped to play was pretty darn fortuitous.

CID1990
October 23rd, 2015, 01:32 PM

He also likes to go fer two

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2015, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=PaladinFan;2270800]

Pretty aware, I think.

I've had that conversation a lot and I think the consensus is we all understand the timing of him being available plus his experience with the region and level of football we hoped to play was pretty darn fortuitous.

Fortuitous for both, I think. Not sure what a former FCS head coach at a top program does after "parting ways." I guess you either end up a coordinator or as the head man at a small or startup program.

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2015, 07:39 PM
Furman posted this around Facebook at Twitter. https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/657595414808559616

Furman freshman RB Triston Luke's father is on active duty in Afghanistan (this I did not know). Picture is of Luke's father flying a Furman flag on a blackhawk helicopter.

ElCid
October 23rd, 2015, 07:41 PM
Furman posted this around Facebook at Twitter. https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/657595414808559616

Furman freshman RB Triston Luke's father is on active duty in Afghanistan (this I did not know). Picture is of Luke's father flying a Furman flag on a blackhawk helicopter.

Now that was very cool. Thanks for posting.

longtimemocfan
October 23rd, 2015, 10:14 PM

Furman isn't a bad team by any stretch. Very sound defensively and not sure what they're trying to do on offense, but they have a good QB who with time in the pocket can throw the ball around pretty good. This would be my game of the week. If one team can get out on the other one pretty good from the start, it could prove to be the difference.

catamount man
October 24th, 2015, 08:12 AM
Chadwell will be the new ETSU coach once Torbush steps down.

OL FU
October 24th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Congrats bulldogs. You have a good team . Unfortunately if we don't figure out some offense the last four games are going to be pretty tough. 80 yards in the first halfxembarrassedx

Mocs123
October 24th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Congrats to The Citadel. I sure didn't pick them to be at the top of the conference this year.

What is wrong with Furman? Where did the offense we saw against Coastal go? You have good players.

The same can be said for Samford? Your skill guys are as good (or better) than anyone's. I noticed Eubanks hasn't played today. Was he really playing that poorly last week. I thought he was a really good QB?

CID1990
October 24th, 2015, 05:24 PM
We knew we were better than next to last in the SoCon.

I figured 3rd but why not 2nd or even 1st?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

longtimemocfan
October 24th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Congrats to The Citadel. I sure didn't pick them to be at the top of the conference this year.

What is wrong with Furman? Where did the offense we saw against Coastal go? You have good players.

The same can be said for Samford? Your skill guys are as good (or better) than anyone's. I noticed Eubanks hasn't played today. Was he really playing that poorly last week. I thought he was a really good QB?

We might as well be in that ''what has happened to the offense category'' Jacob Huesman had one of his worst days as a Moc. Hard to understand with the kind of talent we have on offense why we are having such a hard time on that side of the ball.

Milktruck74
October 24th, 2015, 05:47 PM
We might as well be in that ''what has happened to the offense category'' Jacob Huesman had one of his worst days as a Moc. Hard to understand with the kind of talent we have on offense why we are having such a hard time on that side of the ball.

That first drive showed the type of offense we should have had all day.

chattanoogamocs
October 24th, 2015, 06:27 PM

Samford is scoring enough points to win games...unfortunately, wherever Hatcher seems to go, he forgets to bring a defense with him.

chattanoogamocs
October 24th, 2015, 06:35 PM
Nice, solid, attendance numbers from around the conference today...

SoCon Standings

4-0 Chattanooga (6-1)
4-0 The Citadel (5-2)
3-1 Western Carolina (5-2)
1-2 Furman (3-4)
1-3 Samford (3-4)
1-3 Wofford (3-5)
1-3 VMI (2-6)
0-3 Mercer (2-4)

SoCon Schedule

Chattanooga 20
Wofford 17(A: 8,713)

The Citadel 38
Furman 17(A: 12,124)

VMI 28
Mercer 21
(A: 9,754)

Samford 36
Western Carolina 56
(A: 12,014)

East Tennessee State 7
Montana State 63

chattanoogamocs
October 24th, 2015, 06:41 PM
1. Chattanooga 10,978
Jacksonville State 15,812
Mars Hill 9,491
Furman 7,630

3. Western Carolina 10,508
Mars Hill 12,348
Presbyterian 9,191
Mercer 8,479
Samford 12,014

3. Mercer 10,308
Stetson 11,267
Wofford 10,489
East Tennessee State 9,722
VMI 9,754

4. The Citadel 9,785
Davidson 8,665
Western Carolina 8,048
Charleston Southern 11,998
Wofford 10,428

East Tennessee State 7,497
Kennesaw State 8,217
Maryville 7,357
Emory & Henry 8,413
St. Francis 6,000

5. Wofford 7,456
Tennessee Tech 6,834
Gardner-Webb 6,932
Western Carolina 7,344
Chattanooga 8,713

6. Furman 6,901
Coastal Carolina 6,563
VMI 7,915
South Carolina State 1,002
The Citadel 12,124

7. Samford 6,247
Central Arkansas 6,259
Florida A&M 4,714
Chattanooga 9,088
The Citadel 4,927

8. VMI 4,927
Morehead State 5,016
Bucknell 3,713
Samford 4,875
Chattanooga 6,104

CasualFan
October 24th, 2015, 09:20 PM
Everyone has a good offense against Coastal. Well, except SC State.

PaladinFan
October 24th, 2015, 10:27 PM

I cannot express the maddening frustration. Furman fans, as the collective, are starting to reach that din where they were right before Bobby Lamb was let go. This is now years in a row with just utter ineptness on offense.

I, personally, am starting to really think it is the coaching staff. I am rarely a "blame the coach" guy, but, in my opinion, Furman's coaches insist on running a system that simply does not fit the personnel on the team.

I saw so much promise for this team. I envisioned I-pro formations hearkening back to physical Furman teams of yore. I saw our massive TE group moving about the formation outflanking opponents. Play action passing attack that would tear apart a defensive secondary. No, instead of all of that, we get read option out of the shotgun over and over again.

If you like watching running backs run into a wall of defenders after two yards, I have the offense for you.

- - - Updated - - -

What is going to get really interesting is next Saturday with Furman v. Samford. It is a terrible offense playing against a terrible defense. Something has to give, right?

SU DOG
October 24th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Furman will probably cure all its ills next week. I don't know what it is, but this Samford team appears to be dead in the water. What has been a really good defense in years past is now a sieve for runs or passes. We have the same defensive coordinator and most coaches that have been here, but something is "Rotten in Denmark". If I have ever seen a waste of talent, this is it. I am totally disgusted.

citdog
October 24th, 2015, 11:47 PM
They may lose to Mercer next Saturday but Christ this is fun! When you bleed a color that doesn't often win when you do it is ****ing SWEET! GO 'DOGS! Picked 8th now let's go win the whole GODDAMN THING!

furpal87
October 25th, 2015, 01:12 AM
Sorry it is time to make a change at Furman 23-32 so far including 10 FCS games by 3 TD's or more, embarrassing loss again and again, losing all the Coastal games close....12-13 home record. This is unacceptable. We're going nowhere fast, unless we win the last 4 that's only 1 playoff berth in 5 years. We had a good solid program once..now I'm not so sure.

tenNesseeCat
October 25th, 2015, 01:48 AM
So gd doesn't get censored, but **** and **** does? I guess it doesn't surprise me.

Anyway, I agree with you citdog! It feels great to win. Maybe our teams can win out -fbs, and be the two unexpected teams from the SoCon in the playoffs! The way ya'll are lookin, ya'll might have a good shot in Columbia.

CID1990
October 25th, 2015, 03:21 AM
Cheer up firmens. You still have the hottest chick in college football

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/25/742c34a2176f79dad072c45810a56efd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk