PDA

View Full Version : How in the HELL was Liberty ranked???

Dave195
October 17th, 2015, 03:45 PM
Liberty sucks!!! Monmouth isn't very good either, granted. But I'll take the W!! Monmouth controlled the entire game, gave it away in the 4th, then took it back for the OT winner!!

#FlyHawks

Catsfan90
October 17th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Liberty sucks!!! Monmouth isn't very good either, granted. But I'll take the W!! Monmouth controlled the entire game, gave it away in the 4th, then took it back for the OT winner!!

#FlyHawks
Guaranteed they aren't ranked now lol.

SENOREIDA
October 17th, 2015, 04:04 PM
#FBSready xlolx

clenz
October 17th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Guaranteed they aren't ranked now lol.
Slot voters will keep them in

centennial
October 17th, 2015, 04:05 PM
#FBSready xlolx
I thought they were #1 when they beat Montana.

hebmskebm
October 17th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Liberty was overrated because they beat Montana, Montana was overrated because they beat NDSU. Who would have thought when we were watching the Griz beat NDSU back in Week 0 that that would actually be considered a bad loss for the Bison by the midway point of the season?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 17th, 2015, 05:08 PM
I think the real Turner Gill has finally arrived. He had one good year at Buffalo and "parlayed" that into the Kansas gig. He was fired from there and landed at Liberty. He's really not a very good coach. Solid leader of men ala Herman Edwards, but a below average coach...

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 17th, 2015, 05:27 PM
This thread could be special.

Dave195
October 17th, 2015, 05:29 PM
#FBSready xlolx

I don't like our odds against you guys next week, but I'll be there. I just hope they stay competitive for awhile.

SENOREIDA
October 17th, 2015, 06:20 PM
I don't like our odds against you guys next week, but I'll be there. I just hope they stay competitive for awhile.
I think today might have opened some eyes. No offense, but I think Liberty wasn't expecting you guys to play them tough. Hopefully we stop playing like divas.

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2015, 06:21 PM
They were out of my poll already.

Catsfan90
October 17th, 2015, 08:11 PM
They were out of my poll already.
Not much room for them with the ivy/ PFL taking up most of it anyways.

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2015, 08:16 PM

You probably found a way. ;)

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 17th, 2015, 08:17 PM

IL just finished the year 4-0 against the CAA. xnodx

Catsfan90
October 17th, 2015, 08:18 PM
You probably found a way. ;)
Well they are my clear #1. It's based from newest to oldest!

Catsfan90
October 17th, 2015, 08:19 PM
IL just finished the year 4-0 against the CAA. xnodx
How many ivy league played JMU, W&M, UNH, Richmond, or Villanova?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2015, 08:26 PM
How many ivy league played JMU, W&M, UNH, Richmond, or Villanova?

Penn

Catsfan90
October 17th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Penn
Ha-ha oh god I considered leaving Villanova out but I couldn't remember why. This is what happens when you talk before doing a second check :(

Tribal
October 17th, 2015, 08:59 PM
Penn is the only IL team to play W&M in at least a decade. I can't recall the last time JMU or UR played an IL program.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 17th, 2015, 09:26 PM
I believe we played Penn about 15 years ago. I cannot recall playing any other Ivies.

CID1990
October 18th, 2015, 08:38 AM
I believe we played Penn about 15 years ago. I cannot recall playing any other Ivies.

we played a home and home against Princeton a few years back

whipped them and their little band too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 18th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Have the Liberty posters on this board been in Church for the last 24 hours?

StrikeJMU
October 18th, 2015, 09:05 AM
The +100,000 online students must be devastated.

SeattleGriz
October 18th, 2015, 09:13 AM
The +100,000 online students must be devastated.
Get used to online students. I can't tell you how many people think a U of Phoenix degree is the same as a brick and mortar where I work.

Corporations aren't differentiating between the two.

NY Crusader 2010
October 18th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Get used to online students. I can't tell you how many people think a U of Phoenix degree is the same as a brick and mortar where I work.

Corporations aren't differentiating between the two.

College is so overvalued these days that your probably better off in the long run just putting on your resume that you went to college than actually going.

Ivytalk
October 18th, 2015, 11:00 AM
we played a home and home against Princeton a few years back

whipped them and their little band too

Oh, and other than "Dixie," precisely what songs does the Citadel [boys in the] band know how to play?

Back on topic: a big Dartmouth push this week will put Liberty into the ORV category.

birdsflyhigh
October 18th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Been asking why AGS voters have continued to keep Liberty in the polls for weeks now. Once a SIU smoked them, I thought voters would wise up, but hey the Flames are 3-4 now....can they FINALLY be dropped off the face of the earth? Still think they lose at least 2 more games too.

knucklehead
October 18th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Have the Liberty posters on this board been in Church for the last 24 hours?

Frustrated. Not sure what to say. She'll shocked and dumb founded. Tremendous talent, lots and lots of issue.

jmufan999
October 18th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Been asking why AGS voters have continued to keep Liberty in the polls for weeks now. Once a SIU smoked them, I thought voters would wise up, but hey the Flames are 3-4 now....can they FINALLY be dropped off the face of the earth? Still think they lose at least 2 more games too.

i admit i was wrong (but haven't been voting this year). i thought they would be much better than they are. JMU would love a shot at revenge, especially after possibly getting a playoff bye and not having to submit a bid. if Liberty makes the playoffs, go ahead and book Harrisonburg as their next stop.

CID1990
October 18th, 2015, 01:03 PM
College is so overvalued these days that your probably better off in the long run just putting on your resume that you went to college than actually going.

El Cid's band hasnt played Dixie in 20 years.

To their credit, to make up for being asshats in Charleston, the Princeton band played it during halftime for us.

Nova09
October 18th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Haven't read the thread but it goes like this: NDSU shouldn't have been 1 but was; Montana shouldn't have been ranked but beat NDSU who shouldn't have been 1 so they were; Liberty shouldn't have been ranked but beat Montana who shouldn't have been ranked but beat NDSU who shouldn't have been 1, thus Liberty got the benefit of a ranking.

PantherRob82
October 18th, 2015, 01:25 PM
i admit i was wrong (but haven't been voting this year). i thought they would be much better than they are. JMU would love a shot at revenge, especially after possibly getting a playoff bye and not having to submit a bid. if Liberty makes the playoffs, go ahead and book Harrisonburg as their next stop.

There is no realistic path that puts Liberty in the playoffs.

The Boogie Down
October 18th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Haven't read the thread but it goes like this: NDSU shouldn't have been 1 but was; Montana shouldn't have been ranked but beat NDSU who shouldn't have been 1 so they were; Liberty shouldn't have been ranked but beat Montana who shouldn't have been ranked but beat NDSU who shouldn't have been 1, thus Liberty got the benefit of a ranking.

The correct answer, no doubt. Still don't know how a team beats even a mediocre Montana group (and for what it's worth, Georgia State too!) but falls to a team like Monmouth. Then again, I'm just enjoying how the thread's subject was worded :D

jmufan999
October 18th, 2015, 07:11 PM
There is no realistic path that puts Liberty in the playoffs.

if if if they're able to get to 7-4, they would have an FBS win and a win over a top 5 (potentially #1) FCS team in Coastal. that would be tempting for the committee. yes, i'm aware of how bad Georgia State is, just saying it wouldn't shock me if they made it in that relatively unlikely scenario.

PantherRob82
October 18th, 2015, 07:34 PM
if if if they're able to get to 7-4, they would have an FBS win and a win over a top 5 (potentially #1) FCS team in Coastal. that would be tempting for the committee. yes, i'm aware of how bad Georgia State is, just saying it wouldn't shock me if they made it in that relatively unlikely scenario.

With two TERRIBLE losses in Monmouth and Gardner-Webb. Southern Illinois is looking like a loss that will get them much credit either.

jmufan999
October 18th, 2015, 08:11 PM
With two TERRIBLE losses in Monmouth and Gardner-Webb. Southern Illinois is looking like a loss that will get them much credit either.

not saying they should get in at 7-4, but i believe they would be a strong consideration. the committee isn't supposed to take attendance/bid money into account when choosing teams, but come on... we know they only care about $. i'm not going to believe that wouldn't be a factor.

PantherRob82
October 18th, 2015, 08:13 PM
not saying they should get in at 7-4, but i believe they will. the committee isn't supposed to take attendance/bid money into account when choosing teams, but come on... we know they only care about $. i'm not going to believe that wouldn't be a factor.

True.

smallcollegefbfan
October 18th, 2015, 08:26 PM
I think the real Turner Gill has finally arrived. He had one good year at Buffalo and "parlayed" that into the Kansas gig. He was fired from there and landed at Liberty. He's really not a very good coach. Solid leader of men ala Herman Edwards, but a below average coach...

He is a good leader but I think his big flaw is the assistants. He has some who were one time NFL assistants and FCS head coaches but they all failed in those gigs. Liberty has legit talent and in terms of money, facilities, etc they are more FBS ready than 50% of FBS. When Liberty decides to go pay big money for a big time coach and pay good to assistants they will awaken. Liberty is a sleeping giant. When they decide to wake up they will be scary.

BisonTru
October 18th, 2015, 08:31 PM
not saying they should get in at 7-4, but i believe they would be a strong consideration. the committee isn't supposed to take attendance/bid money into account when choosing teams, but come on... we know they only care about $. i'm not going to believe that wouldn't be a factor.

I don't buy this. The NCAA cares about money that's why the committee awards higher bidding teams the host and maximize bus trips. But outside of that, why does the committee care, its a bunch of ADs. The bids are sealed until the field is set.

Is there any consistent data that they let higher drawing bubble teams in?

Hell, I thought YSU got snubbed a couple years ago, for some teams that draw much worse.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 18th, 2015, 08:33 PM
He is a good leader but I think his big flaw is the assistants. He has some who were one time NFL assistants and FCS head coaches but they all failed in those gigs. Liberty has legit talent and in terms of money, facilities, etc they are more FBS ready than 50% of FBS. When Liberty decides to go pay big money for a big time coach and pay good to assistants they will awaken. Liberty is a sleeping giant. When they decide to wake up they will be scary.

But like BYU, or the academies, the school appeals to a very small pool of potential recruits. I don't see their ceiling being that high....

paward
October 18th, 2015, 08:36 PM
I base my poll on this year alone. I have to admit that Liberty has not been my poll shining moments this year. To be candid I dropped five teams today. Not sure if that has ever happen in my polls before.

PantherRob82
October 18th, 2015, 08:37 PM
I base my poll on this year alone. I have to admit that Liberty has not been my poll shining moments this year. To be candid I dropped five teams today. Not sure if that has ever happen in my polls before.

Your poll shining moments go on a different board. xrotatehx

rokamortis
October 18th, 2015, 08:56 PM

Gill is supposedly one of the better paid FCS coaches at $500 million plus. They thought they went out and paid big money for a big time coach. Liberty is spending money but perhaps isn't making the best decisions.

I recall when they hired Gill and we hired Moglia. A family friend in Conway who is a SC fan but follows Coastal was really concerned about our choice but commended Liberty because "he is Turner Gill".

KPSUL
October 18th, 2015, 09:22 PM
Anyone want to buy two great seats to the CCU @ Liberty game on Thursday evening, NOV 19 ? I bought them as soon a Liberty single game ticket went on sale anticipating a conference championship game with playoff seeding implications. I also have Villanova @ JMU tickets anticipating the same sort of game on Saturday, NOV 21st.

HappyAppy
October 18th, 2015, 10:22 PM

They are paying a ton of money to Turner Gill. I think he's getting paid more then a quarter of FBS coaches. They had to throw all that money at a guy who was a complete disaster at his last job, and was probably not getting another head coaching job that year. Not sure what else they can do. They are already committed to full cost of attendance as well.

They have a lot of positives but I just don't think their ceiling is as high as some others do. Money fixes a lot of issues, but they are still recruiting a bunch of 18 year olds to come to a Christian school in a tiny town where they will not be allowed to drink alcohol, be alone in a room with a woman, or do lots of other things most normal 18 year old kids think about 24 hours a day. They also play in the Big South. They could triple the already large salary they are paying and I'm not sure it would make much of a difference.

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 19th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Gill is supposedly one of the better paid FCS coaches at $500 million plus. They thought they went out and paid big money for a big time coach. Liberty is spending money but perhaps isn't making the best decisions.

I recall when they hired Gill and we hired Moglia. A family friend in Conway who is a SC fan but follows Coastal was really concerned about our choice but commended Liberty because "he is Turner Gill".

$500 million?

I think you are slightly overestimating his salary.

rokamortis
October 19th, 2015, 10:15 AM
$500 million?

I think you are slightly overestimating his salary.

Haha - yes, slightly.

I meant $500,000 or half a million and somehow dropped that gem.