PDA

View Full Version : The Citadel breaks 17-game losing streak to Wofford

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 10th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Nice job by El Cid. And nice streak by Wofford. No other SoCon team including App State and Georgia Southern even came close to winning that many straight over them.

PantherRob82
October 10th, 2015, 04:10 PM
I watched a bit. Cit looked good.

CID1990
October 10th, 2015, 04:12 PM
We ended on a 100 yard pick 6, and in true SoCon fashion it was calked back for a block in the back.

Finally good to snap the streak in authoritative fashion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ETSUfan1
October 10th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Well done!

ElCid
October 10th, 2015, 04:42 PM
Don't know what the coach did during the off week, but it worked. Entirely different team out there today...on both sides of the ball. Held Wofford to 118 yards of rushing?? Wow. Wofford looked less dominant than in years pass when it comes to their rushing game but still, wow! Now if we could just get some good refs, it might have been even worse. I am going to look at the replay but those 2 back to back unsportsmanlike penalties looked weak. Also, does the SOCON have a mechanism to review the targeting this week to get it overturned? That was not a very good call either. Glad to get this monkey off our back finally.

OL FU
October 10th, 2015, 05:09 PM
First congrats great game. Last week fu player got hit with targeting. Seemed questionable but it was reviewed and stood. Player missed the first half this week

catamount man
October 10th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Great job Citadel! Some good games in the SoCon today. GO CATS!

Bill
October 10th, 2015, 06:33 PM
Congrats to the Citadel!

chattanoogamocs
October 10th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Congrats to The Citadel...I know how nice it was when Chattanooga broke their 15 game losing streak to Furman. Big ole weight off.

ngineer
October 10th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Breaking such streaks are always cathartic. Congrats!

citdog
October 10th, 2015, 09:26 PM
It was 16 not 17. Now it is 1 in our favor.

CID1990
October 11th, 2015, 04:32 AM
First congrats great game. Last week fu player got hit with targeting. Seemed questionable but it was reviewed and stood. Player missed the first half this week

If our call truly was targeting then I disagree with the rule itself. It was a face to face tackle on a QB who was going low - it was either tackle him or let him go. I don't like rules that force players into that box. At least thats my memory of it. I may need to watch the replay.

Refs were very quick with the laundry in this game, and in fact they seem to give us very little leeway. Its no secret that we've been vocal about SoCon officiating, to the point that even Iamarino is aware of it. Maybe its just a coincidence but we may be a study in how you dont want to bitch too much about officiating lest you start losing the benefit of the doubt battle with these refs.

All that said, the officiating I have seen so far has been better than some past years (last year's poor refs cost us the game for sure) but watching other games as well as this one this year has convinced me that the overall quality of officiating in the SoCon is still poor.

AshevilleApp2
October 11th, 2015, 07:29 AM
Nice win for The Citadel!

OL FU
October 11th, 2015, 08:59 AM
If our call truly was targeting then I disagree with the rule itself. It was a face to face tackle on a QB who was going low - it was either tackle him or let him go. I don't like rules that force players into that box. At least thats my memory of it. I may need to watch the replay.

Refs were very quick with the laundry in this game, and in fact they seem to give us very little leeway. Its no secret that we've been vocal about SoCon officiating, to the point that even Iamarino is aware of it. Maybe its just a coincidence but we may be a study in how you dont want to bitch too much about officiating lest you start losing the benefit of the doubt battle with these refs.

All that said, the officiating I have seen so far has been better than some past years (last year's poor refs cost us the game for sure) but watching other games as well as this one this year has convinced me that the overall quality of officiating in the SoCon is still poor.

Honestly not sure what the rule is. Fowler explained that ( And I am sure I will not paraphrase correctly) that the reviewers aren't looking for intent to harm but more the possibility of harming. Now obviously every hit in football has the possibility of harming but some hits around the head are worse. Either way after his explanation, my impressions was that the defensive player is really going to have a tough time knowing what they aren't supposed to do.

- - - Updated - - -

It was 16 not 17. Now it is 1 in our favor.

The past is only important if we are talking 150 years agoxthumbsupx

woffordgrad94
October 11th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Congratulations to The Citadel. You guys were just flat out better than us. Your D is stout! Houston seems to be making a difference for you guys. I now rank tge Bulldogs among the top 3 in the conference.

As for my Terriers, well, our problems start with the offensive coaching. Once again, Jacks, whom everyone but Mike Ayers and Wade Lang agrees is the best option at QB, did not start. Instead we start a freshman. Mind boggling. And once again the playcalling showed no imagination or creativity. Far too many fullback dives and runs up the middle. Radio could have known what was coming. But truthfully I am not sure we could have won the game even with Jacks starting and better playcalling. The truth is we are just not very good right now. The better team won the game.

CID1990
October 11th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Congratulations to The Citadel. You guys were just flat out better than us. Your D is stout! Houston seems to be making a difference for you guys. I now rank tge Bulldogs among the top 3 in the conference.

As for my Terriers, well, our problems start with the offensive coaching. Once again, Jacks, whom everyone but Mike Ayers and Wade Lang agrees is the best option at QB, did not start. Instead we start a freshman. Mind boggling. And once again the playcalling showed no imagination or creativity. Far too many fullback dives and runs up the middle. Radio could have known what was coming. But truthfully I am not sure we could have won the game even with Jacks starting and better playcalling. The truth is we are just not very good right now. The better team won the game.

I would only put us ahead of the teams we have beaten, plus VMI and Mercer at this point. Which is basically where I had us in the preseason - behind Chatty, Samford and probably Furman.