PDA

View Full Version : Most exciting win?

dewey
October 1st, 2015, 01:26 PM
Since there is another thread about the most frustrating loss let's hear about those memorable wins.

There is a LOT for NDSU so I will just name a few to get the ball rolling.
2014 National Championship game against Illinois State. Going from up 9 to down by 4 and then Wentz to legendowski...WOW! I was there.

2012 Semifinals against Georgia Southern. Watching Jerrick McKinnon carve up the NDSU D and then Brock Jensen leading the game winning drive and the 4th and Frisco play where GSU knew what play NDSU was going to run. Then GSU calling 2 timeouts to try and get NDSU to change the play...It doesn't happen and QB draw...TD! Then GSU connecting on a few big plays but ultimately I believe Carleton Littlejohn blocks their attempt at a field goal.

2011 National Title game against SHSU. The game was very much up in the air when Travis Beck picks off the Brian Bell pass and races down the sidelines right towards me and sets up the game clinching TD. I was there.

2013 Kansas State. 16 plays 80 yards at Bill Snyder and Family stadium to beat the Wildcats. WOW! I still get goosebumps every time I see Brock Jense spin off the defender at the 1 and fall into the end zone for the game winning TD.

2014 Iowa State because NDSU broke the FCS record for most consecutive wins in a row. I was there.

2013 SDSU. My son and I got pictures with Derek Lang and Sam Ojuri after the game along with the Dakota Marker.

Let's here them.

Go Bison!

tribe_pride
October 1st, 2015, 01:35 PM
For W&M, it's the 2004 playoff win over Delaware. Delaware was up 31-10 going into the 4th and inexplicably threw a pass that was intercepted and run back 62 yards for a TD. W&M scored 21 unanswered in the 4th and tied it with under 2 minutes to go. Wound up winning in 2OTs to advance to the semis.

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2015, 01:41 PM
#150. Nothing else comes close.

UIWWildthing
October 1st, 2015, 01:43 PM
Hands down for Towson the 2013 FCS Semis against Eastern Washington. Up 21, then giving up 31 straight points, losing their starting QB only to score a touchdown with 17 seconds left to win 35-31.

Gangtackle11
October 1st, 2015, 01:45 PM
Obvious to me. Villanova's win over Montana to win the NC!

chattanoogamocs
October 1st, 2015, 01:45 PM
Chattanooga beating Marshall when they were ranked #1 and were the defending national champions.

Another favorite, even though App State and Chattanooga were both under .500 for the season (it was right before ASU 3-peated the NC) was a 59-56 (Mocs win) pinball game that would have made Arena Football teams proud.

And last year was exciting beating Indiana State because it was their first ever playoff win (after so much losing, I never take any Mocs win for granted)

CasualFan
October 1st, 2015, 01:47 PM
Tough one. Two games really stand out: beating then #1 JMU in 2005, or going to Missoula in the playoffs and beating Montana in sub zero weather in the 2013 playoffs. Both raised CCU's visibility on the national stage.

I think I'll go with the JMU game because CCU had to come from behind to win, where they hung on against Montana.

tomq04
October 1st, 2015, 01:53 PM
Hands down for Towson the 2013 FCS Semis against Eastern Washington. Up 21, then giving up 31 straight points, losing their starting QB only to score a touchdown with 17 seconds left to win 35-31.

critical hit

eiu1999
October 1st, 2015, 01:54 PM
Older EIU fans would say 1978 Division II National Champ season, 10-9 win over Delaware.

In the FCS era, have to think about it.

Mattymc727
October 1st, 2015, 02:06 PM
All of the playoffs wins are special because we dont have anything higher than that...We have had some unreal wins against Nova that were great (2009, 2010, and 2013). Some exciting wins against Richmond too (2011, 2012, and 2014). Last years win over Chatty might be the best because it was such a great game from start to finish, the RJ Harris triple reverse TD, and national spotlight in Durham. Beating Maine back to back in 2013 was pretty sweet. So many more to choose from too.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 1st, 2015, 02:11 PM
All of the playoffs wins are special because we dont have anything higher than that...We have had some unreal wins against Nova that were great (2009, 2010, and 2013). Some exciting wins against Richmond too (2011, 2012, and 2014). Last years win over Chatty might be the best because it was such a great game from start to finish, the RJ Harris triple reverse TD, and national spotlight in Durham. Beating Maine back to back in 2013 was pretty sweet. So many more to choose from too.

That Chatty game is tough to top

RootinFerDukes
October 1st, 2015, 02:25 PM
I didn't personally experience the 04 title game.

08 app state comeback win from down 21-0 at the half. Probably the best Fcs win I've seen.
08 kickoff return to beat the spatters.
08 fluky helmet deflection on a Hail Mary to beat Villanova.
2010 starting the decline of Chokie football with the second biggest Fcs upset in NCAA history. I still can't believe that happened.
2015 smu win last week. This win has been bigger than I ever could've imagined. Huge publicity for JMU this week.

ST_Lawson
October 1st, 2015, 02:25 PM
2007 season/home opener against South Dakota State (at that point in the Great West conference). 4 OT, 29-26 win for Western. Not big in terms of stakes...like, conference championships or playoff spots or anything, but just a very exciting win: http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=272422710

2000 - final regular season game at UNI, winner gets the conference championship. Game is back and forth the whole time...a few seconds left, tied up at 41-all. We don't have time for another play, but we're still about mid-field. So we decide to go for a FG...but our FG kicker can't do that kind of range, so we put in our punter who has never kicked a FG in his college career to line up for a 56-yard game winner. He lines up and drills it with plenty of distance and we win the game 44-41 and the conference championship (years later, he'd be put in a similar situation for the Chargers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKsenbSNkqo).

BEAR
October 1st, 2015, 02:27 PM
UCA's NAIA National Championship in 1991. Watch this short video. I love the hard hits, runs and catches were amazing. Remember this was NAIA..these kids have NOTHING to play for after college ball..so they leave it ALL on the field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOuTfCNm2zE

RootinFerDukes
October 1st, 2015, 02:28 PM
Tough one. Two games really stand out: beating then #1 JMU in 2005, or going to Missoula in the playoffs and beating Montana in sub zero weather in the 2013 playoffs. Both raised CCU's visibility on the national stage.

I think I'll go with the JMU game because CCU had to come from behind to win, where they hung on against Montana.

Big enough of a win to tear down goal posts apparently.

deez_na
October 1st, 2015, 02:39 PM
Since there is another thread about the most frustrating loss let's hear about those memorable wins.

2014 National Championship game against Illinois State. Going from up 9 to down by 4 and then Wentz to legendowski...WOW! I was there.

2012 Semifinals against Georgia Southern. Watching Jerrick McKinnon carve up the NDSU D and then Brock Jensen leading the game winning drive and the 4th and Frisco play where GSU knew what play NDSU was going to run. Then GSU calling 2 timeouts to try and get NDSU to change the play...It doesn't happen and QB draw...TD! Then GSU connecting on a few big plays but ultimately I believe Carleton Littlejohn blocks their attempt at a field goal.

2011 National Title game against SHSU. The game was very much up in the air when Travis Beck picks off the Brian Bell pass and races down the sidelines right towards me and sets up the game clinching TD. I was there.

2013 Kansas State. 16 plays 80 yards at Bill Snyder and Family stadium to beat the Wildcats. WOW! I still get goosebumps every time I see Brock Jense spin off the defender at the 1 and fall into the end zone for the game winning TD.

2014 Iowa State because NDSU broke the FCS record for most consecutive wins in a row. I was there.

2013 SDSU. My son and I got pictures with Derek Lang and Sam Ojuri after the game along with the Dakota Marker.

Let's here them.

Go Bison!

Best part about all those games... "I was there":D

Grizalltheway
October 1st, 2015, 02:47 PM
Chronological order:

1995 Marshall (barely remember)
2007 EWU
2008 Cal Poly
2008 JMU
2009 SDSU
2009 App State
2013 South Dakota
2013 Cal Poly
2015 NDSU

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2015, 02:51 PM
Beating Georgia Southern in 2004. I think Furman was #3 and GSU #2 at the time.

Not often do you see a stadium with as large a visiting fan base as GSU brought that day. That Eagle team had just been hammering every team they played that season.

Evolution Prime
October 1st, 2015, 02:54 PM
2004 Dakota Marker Game. SDSU scores the winning touchdown with 39 seconds remaining, inning the inaugural Dakota Marker Trophy.

2007 Dakota Marker Game. SDSU ruins NDSUs undefeated season and winning our first conference title since 1963.

centennial
October 1st, 2015, 02:56 PM
2004 Dakota Marker Game. SDSU scores the winning touchdown with 39 seconds remaining, inning the inaugural Dakota Marker Trophy.

2007 Dakota Marker Game. SDSU ruins NDSUs undefeated season and winning our first conference title since 1963.
I was at that 2007 game. xsmhx

Sammy94
October 1st, 2015, 02:59 PM
2011 - Semi's over Montana

2004 - Quarter finals over Eastern Washington

Evolution Prime
October 1st, 2015, 02:59 PM
I was at that 2007 game. xsmhx

I wasn't at the 2007 game, just listened on the radio. I was at the 2004 game standing on the sideline in the endzone corner where the winning TD was caught.

Bison56
October 1st, 2015, 03:01 PM
2012 NDSU over GSU that nail bitter until the end. I was physically exhausted after that game, I could have slept right in my seat.

Thumper 76
October 1st, 2015, 03:06 PM
The Marker Game in 07. All the hype on NDSU and we beat them to win the conference championship. Crazy good game.

UAalum72
October 1st, 2015, 03:10 PM
2014 - not an exciting game, but with a 13-7 lead and 3rd-and-seven with 44 seconds left, Holy Cross disdains taking a knee, fumbles, and Albany returns it 79 yards for their first win at Bob Ford Field.

2006 - Albany gets its first big win against a major I-AA school, beating Delaware 17-10. I'm amazed how quiet 22,000 people can get. Two weeks earlier had beaten Lehigh, but it was during the tail end of a hurricane.

2002 - Albany uses the coin toss to put the 30+ mph wind at our back, scores 17 on a muddy field in the first quarter to top undefeated Duquesne 24-0 in the ECAC Classic.

1978 - on an ABC regional telecast with former Notre Dame and Steelers QB Terry Hanratty in the booth, soccer goalie Dario Arango is called onto the field to kick a then-school-record 45-yd FG for a 9-6 win over Ithaca.

McNeese72
October 1st, 2015, 03:12 PM
Playoff and Bowl Games:

1976 Independence Bowl Game win against Tulsa
1997 first round playoff win over Montana when we scored in the last few minutes to win.
1997 semi-final win against Delaware on a last second field goal
2002 semi-final win over Nova.

Regular season games:

1976 win over USL to send us to the Indy Bowl. Still holds the attendance record for Cowboy Stadium.
2008 triple overtime win over South Dakota St in Brookings on Hobo Day. One of the best college games I've ever seen live and in person.

I'm sure there are more if I think about it awhile.

jacksfan29
October 1st, 2015, 03:15 PM
FCS
1) Hate to admit it, but the 2007 win over an undefeated and top ranked NDSU was pretty sweet
2) MSU in the playoffs last year

D2
1993 win over NDSU to break a 17 game losing streak and a 20-0 dominating win over UND the same year.
1985 win over then #1 USD on Hobo Day

Professor Chaos
October 1st, 2015, 03:25 PM

Let's here them.

Go Bison!
Good choices. I'd also add a few from before the first FCS title game:
1) 2007 Sam Houston State: Not even the 2014 playoff games, though they were at a much higher magnitude, could top how crazy that game was.
2) 2007 Central Michigan: A 44-14 beatdown of the eventual MAC champion that year, I still remember watching the game at Chubs just shaking my head in amazement.
3) 2007 Minnesota: Nothing like seeing 230 lb Tyler Roehl running away from the Gopher secondary.
4) 2010 Montana State: Came in with an offense that couldn't throw the ball worth a lick and just railroaded a top 5 team on the road in the playoffs with the running game in the 4th quarter.
5) 2011 UNI: The day the Fargodome crowd's testicles dropped. This was when I think we fans started realizing that we had a special team that year.

Catbooster
October 1st, 2015, 03:41 PM
Good choices. I'd also add a few from before the first FCS title game:
1) 2007 Sam Houston State: Not even the 2014 playoff games, though they were at a much higher magnitude, could top how crazy that game was.
2) 2007 Central Michigan: A 44-14 beatdown of the eventual MAC champion that year, I still remember watching the game at Chubs just shaking my head in amazement.
3) 2007 Minnesota: Nothing like seeing 230 lb Tyler Roehl running away from the Gopher secondary.
4) 2010 Montana State: Came in with an offense that couldn't throw the ball worth a lick and just railroaded a top 5 team on the road in the playoffs with the running game in the 4th quarter.
5) 2011 UNI: The day the Fargodome crowd's testicles dropped. This was when I think we fans started realizing that we had a special team that year.

Sorry, but you're in the wrong thread. The bolded one belongs in the most frustrating losses thread. Total melt-down in the 4th quarter.

AshevilleApp2
October 1st, 2015, 03:46 PM
2005-National Championship (NC)
2006-NC
2007-NC
2007 vs. Michigan
2002 vs Furman (The Miracle on the Mountain)
2005 Semi vs Furman (First trip to the finals resulted from it)
2007 vs JMU 1st round of playoffs (Lost, then won, then lost, then won)
A couple or three games where Marshall or Georgia Southern were ranked #1 and left Boone with a loss

Professor Chaos
October 1st, 2015, 03:50 PM
Sorry, but you're in the wrong thread. The bolded one belongs in the most frustrating losses thread. Total melt-down in the 4th quarter.
Agreed :D

mango43
October 1st, 2015, 04:00 PM

Still my favorite game I've ever been to. It was setting up to be another dramatic Steve Walker comeback only to see Brock Gentile make a diving interception to seal the win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOjxQzqbm7s

melloware13
October 1st, 2015, 04:15 PM
For me, it's 2013 Delaware @ Towson. We were up 10-7 after 1, then Towson scored 24 unanswered through the first minute of the fourth (including West running for 200+). Then most of the Towson fans left and Delaware scored 22 unanswered, including 15 points in the last minute, to win by one.

Two other far runner-ups are 2009 UMass @ Delaware and 2010 SDSU @ Delaware, both were highly ranked visitors that we took care of fairly easily (20+ point margins in both). Note: I entered college in 2009

dewey
October 1st, 2015, 04:19 PM
2012 NDSU over GSU that nail bitter until the end. I was physically exhausted after that game, I could have slept right in my seat.

I remember watching that game from home with a buddy and we didn't sit down the entire 4th quarter. Boy was I drunk by the end of that game.xdrunkyx

2007 NDSU beats Minnesota 27-21 in front of about 25,000 to 30,000 NDSU fans at the old Metrodome. Tyler Roehl runs for about IIRC 260 yards and the Bison get revenge from the heart breaking loss 2006 loss to Minnesota. I was there:D

Dewey

bostonspider
October 1st, 2015, 04:36 PM
For Richmond it has to be the 2008 Semifinal game versus UNI. Down 20-7 going into the 4th quarter, the Spiders drove 62 yards, including a 4th and 2 from the UNI 26, in a minute-thirty with no time outs to score with 14 seconds left to stun the Panthers 21-20 and move on to the national championship game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/recap?gameId=283482460

The win over Montana in the title game was awesome, but not nearly as exciting a game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/recap?gameId=283540257

Go another year back and UR's 5 OT win over Delaware in 2007 was pretty damn fun..

http://espn.go.com/college-football/recap?gameId=273140048

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 1st, 2015, 04:54 PM
When we have a great win, I will post it here.

FUBeAR
October 1st, 2015, 05:22 PM
Is there a statute of limitations on this? If not...

1982 Furman over South Carolina 28-23 (the Cocks tacked on a meaningless TD as time ran out). Furman has just moved to Division I-AA that year, so, somehow, the Gamecocks got it in their head that they were superior to the Paladins (imagine them thinking that!) and they acted like it with lots of swagger in the 1st quarter. By the 2nd quarter, they had been hit in the mouth more than a few times and were starting to 'crack.' They were bickering with one another, coming up with minor 'injuries' frequently, and generally stinking up the indoor/outdoor carpet in Williams Brice Stadium. Furman blocked a punt and scored a TD (sounds familiar) on it to take the lead just before half. Furman clinched the game with late in the 4th quarter after it appeared that the Cocks might stage a comeback. The Paladins went 80 yards in 6 running plays and sent the Cock Faithless home with their rooster tails betwixt their scrawny legs!
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAzWDYxMA==/z/K1kAAMXQzr1R3ZkK/$T2eC16hHJH8FHRBed!bhBR3ZkKSWc!~~60_57.JPG

Why is a Mercer fan citing this as the most exciting win? Well, THAT DAY, I was wearing white & purple and my 'assignment' was a Playboy All-American (remember those) Outland Trophy Candidate D-Lineman. It was an all-around thrilling day for me personally and as part of the Furman Team. This was also the game that started a string of 4 consecutive I-A upsets that Furman ran off from 1982 - 1985. Maybe a Mercer win over Wofford this weekend would top this for me...but I kinda doubt it.

ngineer
October 1st, 2015, 08:00 PM
Winning the National Championship in 1977 over Jacksonville State, followed by any of the wins over Laughyette.

PantherRob82
October 1st, 2015, 08:09 PM
Almost every win in 2005.

Kemo
October 1st, 2015, 08:40 PM
2008 triple overtime win over South Dakota St in Brookings on Hobo Day. One of the best college games I've ever seen live and in person.

That was an epic game, and how McNeese State got their score in the 3rd overtime was about as insane of play as I've seen in college football. I've never seen a player drop an gimme interception so bad that the other team just had to catch it (it was like 4th and 20 btw). The player who dropped it, however, was a Jackrabbit great and that was really the only negative memory I can think of the guy, so he gets a pass in my book.

Come to think of it, might have to add one to the disappointing losses thread xsmhx

IBleedYellow
October 1st, 2015, 08:45 PM

Let's here them.

Go Bison!

I was there for all of these sans the Illinois State game...

You literally took all of the good ones.

Ivytalk
October 1st, 2015, 09:29 PM
The 1974 win over Yale, where Harvard capped a 95-yard drive by scoring on a Milt Holt QB sneak with 15 seconds left to win, 21-16. People forget that Yale's QB Tom Doyle actually had a long gainer on the last play of the game, dodging Harvard fans who had already rushed the field.

UNIFanSince1983
October 1st, 2015, 09:31 PM
Almost every win in 2005.

There were a ton in 2005 WKU, UNH, and Texas State. To me the one from that year that takes the cake is SIU. That was a hell of a game and one of the most exciting games I've ever been to.

Obviously, UNH in 2007 was also quite exciting.

veinup
October 1st, 2015, 10:20 PM
i'm glad so many people are excited to have beaten Montana over the years

NY Crusader 2010
October 1st, 2015, 11:13 PM
1) Beating Lafayette in a horrible rainstorm in a 28-26 comeback win for the Patriot League championship in 2009. The difference in the game were two missed PATs on the Pards first two touchdowns that gave them an early 12-0 lead.

2) Another Lafayette game - second to last week of the season in 2008 and effectively an elimination game. Down double digits for most of the game, we rallied to tie the game at 20 in the fourth only to give up the lead with under 2 minutes to play on a long run by Tyrell Coon. Again, a missed XP was the difference as Davis Rodriguez (an all-PL level kicker btw) shanked it to keep the lead 26-20. The ensuing drive was kept alive by a Dominic Randolph scramble on fourth down at midfield but appeared to stall after a long gain was negated by a holding call. With six seconds left, Randolph completed a 37-yard Hail Mary TD pass to 6'6" QB-turned-WR Rob Koster. Rob Dornfried's PAT was the difference in a 27-26 win. Unfortunately we lost to Colgate in the snow in Hamilton in the finale in what was effectively the league championship game.

3) 2007 Homecoming win over Harvard (who went on to finish 9-1 and Ivy champs) was capped by a Hail Mary pass from Dominic Randolph to Tommy Harrison. 28-24 final IIRC.

RowdyRabbit
October 1st, 2015, 11:50 PM
2012 playoff game vs high powered Eastern Illinois. Garappalo and crew come to play at the first playoff game ever at CAS. Jacks throttle them 58-10.

Ending NDSU bowl aspirations at CAS in 07.

@ MSU in playoffs last year. I was sick as a dog that day and had to cancel plans to watch with family, but did have it on. Not sure which number was bigger, Zenner td's or Rowdyrabbit throw-ups.

@NDSU in 08. SDSU hadnt won there since the 1960's or some crazy crap like that.

@UNI last year. SDSU hadn't won there since the1970's or some crap.

@SFA in 08. Jacks score 30 pts in 4th quarter to win 50-48. Never forget listening to that on radio.

IBleedYellow
October 2nd, 2015, 01:56 AM
Oh.

NDSUs win over Montana back in the D2 days was a good one.

IBleedYellow
October 2nd, 2015, 01:58 AM
2012 playoff game vs high powered Eastern Illinois. Garappalo and crew come to play at the first playoff game ever at CAS. Jacks throttle them 58-10.

My Dad and I drove down to watch this game... It was fracking cold and you could see EIU wanted nothing to do with it. That was a fun game too watch and Rep my NDSU gear at, though.

Twentysix
October 2nd, 2015, 05:28 AM
The first DI NC, and the K State game.

If I had to choose only one game it would be the K State game.

Not because it was the greatest win or whatever, but because of that final drive. That final drive is the essence of football squeezed and distilled.

Twentysix
October 2nd, 2015, 05:30 AM

Ending NDSU bowl aspirations at CAS in 07.

@ MSU in playoffs last year. I was sick as a dog that day and had to cancel plans to watch with family, but did have it on. Not sure which number was bigger, Zenner td's or Rowdyrabbit throw-ups.

@NDSU in 08. SDSU hadnt won there since the 1960's or some crazy crap like that.

@UNI last year. SDSU hadn't won there since the1970's or some crap.

@SFA in 08. Jacks score 30 pts in 4th quarter to win 50-48. Never forget listening to that on radio.

You guys need to win a championship or something. Your best wins suck. xdrunkyx

Go Green
October 2nd, 2015, 06:01 AM
1990 against then-defending champ Yale at homecoming on a very soggy Memorial Field.

That win sent both programs in opposite directions for the next several years.

CID1990
October 2nd, 2015, 06:24 AM
1988:

The Citadel 42, Navy 35

The Citadel 20, Marshall (then ranked #1) 3

The Citadel 14, Navy 10

The Citadel 38, USC 35

The Citadel 21, Marshall 10

The Citadel 20, Army 14

The Citadel 10, Furman 6 (broke a long losing streak on that one)

The Citadel 10, Arkansas 3

The Citadel 15, Army 14

I was fortunate to have been a cadet and a recent grad during this stretch. I was at all of the FBS wins except the first one against Army.

CHIP72
October 2nd, 2015, 08:27 AM
In terms of Division I-AA/FCS games I've attended, it would almost definitely be the 2011 Lehigh/Towson playoff (Round of 16) game in suburban Baltimore, won by Lehigh 40-38. The game was an offensive slugfest with both teams trading touchdowns; I'm not sure either team ever led by more than one score the entire game (or at most by more than 10 points). Strangely enough though, Lehigh's winning points came on a safety in the middle of the 4th quarter when the game was tied at 38-38.

Lehigh also won a pretty exciting game in I think double OT against Central Connecticut State in 2013, and lost an equally exciting game in (I think) OT against New Hampshire in 2011. None of the Lafayette, Penn, or Villanova games I've attended have been super-exciting, though Villanova's comeback win against Liberty in the rain in last year's playoffs, a game the Wildcats dominated in the 2nd half, was impressive.

furpal87
October 2nd, 2015, 09:04 AM
In looking at this thread, the subject came up when an Orlando paper said the win over UCF a few weeks ago was the biggest one in program history..maybe this coach's. We agreed it might make lower part of Top 20.

But here are some of my favorites since my freshman year in 1983.

First always will be national championship win over GSU in 1988 17-12, them fumbling at our 2 with 6 minutes left and then picking them off with about 30 sec left.
Beating SC, GT, and NCSU twice 4 straight years from 82-85.
A win over GSU 45-10 at HC in 2000 when Louis Ivory ran for 300+ yards.
Playoff win over GSU in 2001 at Statesboro coming from 17-7 down to win 24-17.
Winning at Chapel Hill 28-3 in 1999.
Finally, a 13-9 in in the QTR finals at Marshall after they had beaten us earlier that year. Scoring in the final minute on our way to the national championship.

ST_Lawson
October 2nd, 2015, 09:15 AM

Oh...yea, thanks for reminding me:

2003 FCS Playoffs - 43-40, 2 OT victory at Montana. That was the same year we went 1-1 against FBS teams, with the loss being to eventual national champion LSU where we were only down by 6 points well into the 3rd quarter. High scoring year too, we averaged just over 36 points per game that season.

Tiger93
October 2nd, 2015, 09:19 AM

I would agree with this, although whenever I think about this question the 4th and 29 win at ODU always sticks out as a highlight and a turning point (at the time) for Towson Football.

kdinva
October 2nd, 2015, 09:40 AM
1974: defeating Appy St. to win the SoCon (preseason was predicted to finish 3-8).
1981: beating Va. Tech, kept Tech from getting a bowl berth.
1991: defeating U of Richmond, had 520 or so yards rushing that day.
1992: defeating UTC in overtime, after trailing by 21 entering the 4th quarter (with an option offense).
1994: winless VMI beats Appy St.
1996; defeating Citadel in OT (Tommy Haskins' last home game).
2002: beating ElCid in the rain @ Charlotte. and beating then top-25 Wofford.

JMUNJ08
October 2nd, 2015, 09:52 AM
Mine:

In Person:
04 - Beating defending champion Delaware on last second FG (and if you knew our kicking game back then, INSANE)
04 - 7 tries from the 1 at Lehigh in 1st round of playoffs
07 - App State in the 'burg. 2nd half kick-off return to start the comeback from down 21-0
08 - @ Richmond, 'The Return' - Scottie becomes a legend

From Afar:
04 - W&M semi-final game - DD's catch
04 - NC - 'nuff said
15 - SMU - Will become bigger depending on the rest of the season; definitely showed we were a legit team and not just beating up lesser opponents at home

mvemjsunpx
October 2nd, 2015, 09:53 AM
Most exciting win would be South Dakota State in '09, though the '95 title game is close.

Most excitingly satisfying win, however, was the Lucy vs. Charlie Brown win over the Bobcats in '97. xsmiley_wix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-YtP3s47KA

Grizalltheway
October 2nd, 2015, 10:42 AM
Most exciting win would be South Dakota State in '09, though the '95 title game is close.

Most excitingly satisfying win, however, was the Lucy vs. Charlie Brown win over the Bobcats in '97. xsmiley_wix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-YtP3s47KA

That guy with the ten gallon hat giving the camera the bird. Gets me every time. xlolx

Mattymc727
October 2nd, 2015, 10:44 AM
That guy with the ten gallon hat giving the camera the bird. Gets me every time. xlolx

That has to be the most Montana guy ever right? If i had to picture someone from Montana, thats the guy that would pop into my head. Perfect.

Grizalltheway
October 2nd, 2015, 11:00 AM
That has to be the most Montana guy ever right? If i had to picture someone from Montana, thats the guy that would pop into my head. Perfect.

Most Montana State guy, yes. We Grizzlies are generally a more sophisticated bunch.

GoAgs72
October 2nd, 2015, 11:00 AM
UC Davis beating Stanford 20-17 in 2005. The Aggies had 10,000 fans show up who were much louder than the home crowd. At the time we were still in the transition stage from DII to FCS and to beat an FBS team was a major accomplishment. The Stanford Band was on probation so only the Aggie Band-uh was present adding to the excitement.

OL FU
October 2nd, 2015, 11:22 AM
2005-National Championship (NC)
2006-NC
2007-NC
2007 vs. Michigan
2002 vs Furman (The Miracle on the Mountain)
2005 Semi vs Furman (First trip to the finals resulted from it)
2007 vs JMU 1st round of playoffs (Lost, then won, then lost, then won)
A couple or three games where Marshall or Georgia Southern were ranked #1 and left Boone with a loss

Funny how your most exciting are some of my most depressing:(

grizband
October 2nd, 2015, 12:13 PM

2003 FCS Playoffs - 43-40, 2 OT victory at Montana. That was the same year we went 1-1 against FBS teams, with the loss being to eventual national champion LSU where we were only down by 6 points well into the 3rd quarter. High scoring year too, we averaged just over 36 points per game that season.
You could have heard a pin drop after Larson's field goal attempt hit the upright...
Among the most dejected I have ever felt leaving Washington Grizzly stadium. When our all American kicker lined up, it signed like a sure thing.

bobcathpdevil56
October 2nd, 2015, 12:20 PM
Most Montana State guy, yes. We Grizzlies are generally a more sophisticated bunch.

Haha, I guess this is true, if a hippy drum circle/smoke session is considered "sophisticated" :D

I still can't watch that game. I looked like a drunk white chick, I was crying so hard after the game. Note : I was 10 years old

Grizalltheway
October 2nd, 2015, 12:21 PM
You could have heard a pin drop after Larson's field goal attempt hit the upright...
Among the most dejected I have ever felt leaving Washington Grizzly stadium. When our all American kicker lined up, it signed like a sure thing.

You mean Snyder?

But yes, very similar feeling with Carpenter in the Wofford game. :(

BisonFan02
October 2nd, 2015, 12:32 PM
You mean Snyder?

Speaking of.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHHUyBCi9Jc

Winterborn
October 2nd, 2015, 12:45 PM

I also was there and to be honest I was really nervous, but as that play unfolded I started feeling much better. xnodx For me, that is the best game I have had the pleasure of being at by far. Just the energy from the Kansas State fans to start the game and then feeling that excitement turn to dread and then finally to heartache.......... Plus the fireworks afterwards were a real nice touch by them. xthumbsupx

Grizalltheway
October 2nd, 2015, 12:55 PM
Speaking of.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHHUyBCi9Jc

Thankfully we got redemption this year. xthumbsupx

Now we just need to start catching up in national titles...

grizband
October 2nd, 2015, 01:42 PM
You mean Snyder?

Knew I has the wrong kicker. Crazy that two All American kickers ended their careers missing game winning/tying kicks at the end of regulation or overtime.

Grizalltheway
October 2nd, 2015, 02:06 PM
Knew I has the wrong kicker. Crazy that two All American kickers ended their careers missing game winning/tying kicks at the end of regulation or overtime.

Yep. You have to wonder if that thought was in the back of their heads as they lined up.

grizband
October 2nd, 2015, 02:08 PM
Can't imagine what goes througha kickers mind as they line up for a kick of that magnitude...

That 2007 team, though, man they could have made a run in the playoffs.

eiu1999
October 2nd, 2015, 02:16 PM
The 2013 Garoppolo game against ISU, 480 passing yards, 7 TDs.

Sader87
October 2nd, 2015, 02:47 PM
By no means HC's greatest or more important wins but for an "exciting finish/win" nothing can really top Princeton 1988.

Princeton had just pulled ahead 26-24 on a FG with about 6 seconds left. On the ensuing kick-off HC pulled a "Cal-Stanford" and ultimately Tim Donovan took it down the left sideline from about 50 yards out to score as time expired before a stunned Palmah Stadium and a future Dallas Cowboy head coach who was the Tigers QB that day.

Lucky enough to be in attendance that day.

MRuler
October 2nd, 2015, 02:48 PM
2014 - not an exciting game, but with a 13-7 lead and 3rd-and-seven with 44 seconds left, Holy Cross disdains taking a knee, fumbles, and Albany returns it 79 yards for their first win at Bob Ford Field.

2006 - Albany gets its first big win against a major I-AA school, beating Delaware 17-10. I'm amazed how quiet 22,000 people can get. Two weeks earlier had beaten Lehigh, but it was during the tail end of a hurricane.

2002 - Albany uses the coin toss to put the 30+ mph wind at our back, scores 17 on a muddy field in the first quarter to top undefeated Duquesne 24-0 in the ECAC Classic.

1978 - on an ABC regional telecast with former Notre Dame and Steelers QB Terry Hanratty in the booth, soccer goalie Dario Arango is called onto the field to kick a then-school-record 45-yd FG for a 9-6 win over Ithaca.

UAalum, Don't forget the 1985 ECAC Championship Game vs Plymouth State. They had Joe Dudek and he was a top 10 finalist for the Heisman in 1985 and played for the Denver Broncos for 5 years.
Not bad for Division III. They jumped out to a 21-0 lead before we came back and won 33-21. I know I played in that game.

Go Danes

ysubigred
October 2nd, 2015, 03:01 PM
Playoff and Bowl Games:

1976 Independence Bowl Game win against Tulsa
1997 first round playoff win over Montana when we scored in the last few minutes to win.
1997 semi-final win against Delaware on a last second field goal
2002 semi-final win over Nova.

Regular season games:

1976 win over USL to send us to the Indy Bowl. Still holds the attendance record for Cowboy Stadium.

I'm sure there are more if I think about it awhile.

1997 NC win over ^^

CID1990
October 2nd, 2015, 03:02 PM
1974: defeating Appy St. to win the SoCon (preseason was predicted to finish 3-8).
1981: beating Va. Tech, kept Tech from getting a bowl berth.
1991: defeating U of Richmond, had 520 or so yards rushing that day.
1992: defeating UTC in overtime, after trailing by 21 entering the 4th quarter (with an option offense).
1994: winless VMI beats Appy St.
1996; defeating Citadel in OT (Tommy Haskins' last home game).
2002: beating ElCid in the rain @ Charlotte. and beating then top-25 Wofford.

That last one was the Mud Bowl. I have a photo somewhere that shows how sloppy it really was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ysubigred
October 2nd, 2015, 03:08 PM

1999 playoff win @ Wash ~ Griz xsmiley_wix

bulldog10jw
October 2nd, 2015, 03:22 PM
1981 - Yale 23 Navy 19

http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20120903/new-haven-200-yale-football-sinks-navy-in-1981

"Years from now maybe this will be remembered as one of the all-time great Yale victories."
Those prophetic words came from the mouth of Yale quarterback John Rogan shortly after the Bulldogs stunned Navy 23-19 in a 1981 game at the Yale Bowl.

Rogan was 16 of 30 for 202 yards and three touchdowns, but he had to share top billing with a ferocious performance from a Yale defense which ended the 1981 season by blanking rival Harvard, a feat which was accomplished only three times since 1946 and hasn't been done by the Bulldogs since.

When Rogan hit Curt Grieve for a 24-yard touchdown with 3:19 left in the game to put the Bulldogs ahead, it was time for the Yale defense to deliver.

HailSzczur
October 2nd, 2015, 03:31 PM
Most exciting game I've seen live: 2013 Delaware

Down 22 in the 4th quarter. A win should put Delaware in the playoffs. In 12 minutes Nova scored 3 TD (2pt conversion to tie the game failed) and 1 FG, held Delaware to 2 3-and-outs, and recovered an onside kick. Never have I seen a comeback like that

catamount man
October 2nd, 2015, 03:31 PM
Of all the WCU games that I have personally witnessed, 2004's comeback win over App State is still the best damn feeling I've ever experienced in Cullowhee. GO CATS!

ElCid
October 2nd, 2015, 04:17 PM
1988:

The Citadel 42, Navy 35

The Citadel 20, Marshall (then ranked #1) 3

The Citadel 14, Navy 10

The Citadel 38, USC 35

The Citadel 21, Marshall 10

The Citadel 20, Army 14

The Citadel 10, Furman 6 (broke a long losing streak on that one)

The Citadel 10, Arkansas 3

The Citadel 15, Army 14

I was fortunate to have been a cadet and a recent grad during this stretch. I was at all of the FBS wins except the first one against Army.

Those were good years. I remember my father in-law taped the Navy game in 88 since it was also on TV in the Charleston area. I still have the VHS somewhere. I still love the fact that Navy came to Charleston for that game. What was great about that game as well was the fact that we had a higher attendance in Charleston than Navy did for the 1989 game in Annapolis.

I went to the 1991 game at Army since I was stationed up in Rome at Griffiss AFB at the time. I also remembered that Army turned the score board off 1 second after the game ended as well. They did not want anyone to take pictures. Very small of them.

I have slightly sad memories of the Arkansas game in 1992. I did not even know we were playing them. I was in Syracuse at the SUNY medical center with my wife in ICU for 2 months at that point. I just happened to see the score on the television and had to do a double take. I told her and I got a little smile out of her. She is a big Bulldog fan.

Maybe we can return to those winning days. Maybe starting with 'cocks in November. We just need to put it together consistently.

NSF
October 2nd, 2015, 04:32 PM
Obviously limited since I'm talking about Indiana State, but in the 8 years my kids have been with the program, a few come to mind:
At Western Kentucky (2010 or 2011), where INS handled WKU and provided some validation for the kids that took their lumps for a couple of years.
At NDSU 2012, very exciting win (for us in the small crowd there).
And oh yeah, last year at home against UNI where the "worst FCS team in the country" (according to a couple of experts on here) squeezed by the Panthers.

EKUCOLONEL12
October 2nd, 2015, 04:55 PM
As an EKU fan since 2007 it would be the amazing comeback at JSU in 2010. JSU lead by 24 with 7 minutes left. EKU would rally to win 52-48 after a goal line stand to end the game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 2nd, 2015, 05:07 PM
For Richmond it has to be the 2008 Semifinal game versus UNI. Down 20-7 going into the 4th quarter, the Spiders drove 62 yards, including a 4th and 2 from the UNI 26, in a minute-thirty with no time outs to score with 14 seconds left to stun the Panthers 21-20 and move on to the national championship game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/recap?gameId=283482460

The win over Montana in the title game was awesome, but not nearly as exciting a game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/recap?gameId=283540257

Go another year back and UR's 5 OT win over Delaware in 2007 was pretty damn fun..

http://espn.go.com/college-football/recap?gameId=273140048

Yep. You covered it. In order.

Sitting Bull
October 2nd, 2015, 05:43 PM
One of my Tribe mates mentioned the 2004 playoff win over Delaware - so I will leave that one alone.

Beyond that - and concentrating on the word "exciting win", a few that stick out and go back a few more years:
1986: 41-37 at UVA. Great plays and offensive gameplan from Laycock.
1989: 27-24 over Delaware, a team we struggled with all through the 80s. Game was decided by a school record 51 yd FG by Steve Christie.
1997: Tribe pulled out a tough win at Georgia Southern, 29-28.
2004: last play 47 yd FG at JMU to win 27-24 and claim CAA Championship.
2009: Decisive win over UVA again, 26-14. Sparked one of the better seasons ever of Tribe football.
2010: 31-24 over #1 Villanova. Beautiful afternoon in Williamsburg, sold out family weekend.
2011: 25-23 at first game in new Robins Stadium at Richmond, scoring on games last play to win.
2013: 17-7 homecoming win over JMU, sealed with 90 yard pick-six late 4th.

PantherRob82
October 2nd, 2015, 05:47 PM
Obviously limited since I'm talking about Indiana State, but in the 8 years my kids have been with the program, a few come to mind:
At Western Kentucky (2010 or 2011), where INS handled WKU and provided some validation for the kids that took their lumps for a couple of years.
At NDSU 2012, very exciting win (for us in the small crowd there).
And oh yeah, last year at home against UNI where the "worst FCS team in the country" (according to a couple of experts on here) squeezed by the Panthers.

Who said Indiana State was the worst team in the country last year? They weren't even the worst in the MVFC

clenz
October 2nd, 2015, 05:51 PM
Who said Indiana State was the worst team in the country last year? They weren't even the worst in the MVFC
I've referred to Indiana State as the worst full scholarship non HBCU program in the nation for the 2000s.

That's probably what he's butt hurted about.

I'm also not entirely wrong

Walkon79
October 2nd, 2015, 05:54 PM
1984 playoff win over Rhode Island. 104 yard INT for a touchdown to take our first lead with under 3:00 in the game. RI was driving for a score to put it away at the time and we thought all was lost. Then we recovered a fumble on the ensuing kickoff to lead to another score to seal the game. I was 24 at the time, just graduated a year earlier and had my first season tickets!! Me and a buddy made every home and playoff game and drove 700 miles round trip to do it.

citdog
October 2nd, 2015, 06:00 PM
Every single goddamn one of them.

woffordgrad94
October 2nd, 2015, 06:12 PM
In 2002 when we first turned the corner in FCS football. We beat both Georgia Southern (14-7) and App. State (26-19) on the road, shocking the FCS world. In fact, all our wins over those two storied programs are exciting to me.

In 2003, we made a run to the FCS semifinals by beating a much bigger Western Kentucky team convincingly 34-17. No one gave us a chance in that game.

In 2007, we upset Montana at Montana in the first round of the playoffs 23-22. That stunned some people.

But I have to go back to the D-2 days for the most exciting win. It was 1991 and I was a sophomore at Wofford. We played The Citadel in Charleston. The Citadel was heavily favored since they were a very good D1 team in those days. Shawn Graves, our record setting QB, discussed how The Citadel had recruited him but "he didn't want to be just another guy in a monkey suit". Of course this enraged the Cadets and they vowed to kill Graves in the game. But Wofford and Graves had the last laugh as we upset them 15-12 on a Graves TD run with just seconds remaining.

heath
October 2nd, 2015, 07:01 PM
xdrunkyx12/3/11-we beat Towson at their place (playoffs)had to be there to understand, a close 2nd was 2012 winning at Liberty. Both games could have gone either way but Lehigh pulled it out -xdrunkyx

GoBlueHens83
October 2nd, 2015, 07:33 PM
2003 National Championship win over Colgate.

2007 An absolute shootout with Navy, winning 59-52.

2007 Beating UNI 39-28 in the playoffs at the UNI Dome.

2010 Georgia Southern playoff game. Was great to watch the Hens clinch a NC game berth at home.

mvemjsunpx
October 2nd, 2015, 09:27 PM

2003 FCS Playoffs - 43-40, 2 OT victory at Montana. That was the same year we went 1-1 against FBS teams, with the loss being to eventual national champion LSU where we were only down by 6 points well into the 3rd quarter. High scoring year too, we averaged just over 36 points per game that season.You could have heard a pin drop after Larson's field goal attempt hit the upright...

It didn't hit the upright. It was blocked.

grizband
October 2nd, 2015, 09:32 PM
It didn't hit the upright. It was blocked.
Damn, guess I was trying to block our that memory

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 3rd, 2015, 07:08 AM
All 4 FCS title games have been awesome.

Although in 2007 vs SHSU and Rhett Bomar is right up there. That QB was very good.

I thought the Bison were finished when SHSU scored with something like 30-40 seconds left but the Bison scored with 7 seconds to win. People were leaving the game after Sammy scored but it was loud as heck when the Bison scored.

Thundar
October 3rd, 2015, 07:21 AM
this^

i remember the people streaming out after their last score....my group wanted to get going and I said wait.....and well we watched the best game to be played in the domes on that point. that was the first time I heard the dome get that loud on the catch. Walker and Heckendorf were fantastic players

http://youtu.be/oTx__3AIusw

kalm
October 3rd, 2015, 07:50 AM
2010 Quarters, Semi's, and Chipper.

Quarters vs. NDSU: Taiwan Jones busts two really long runs in the first half and has something like 220 yards rushing before breaking his foot in the third quarter. Back to back kickoff returns for TD's in the third quarter. Snow starts to fall, then total NDSU dominance until "The Drive" late in the game to send it into OT. "Upon further review"............

Semi's: Opening kick return for a TD by Nova. Mario Brown's coming out party replacing TJ. Matt Johnson, perhaps the greatest safety we ever had, absolutely locking down Matt Szczur and eventually knocking him out of the game. 4th and 1 late in the game from around our 20 up 3 and Baldwin goes for it putting the game on ice with a Bo Levi Mitchell play action to Greg Herd in the corner of the endzone. We all finally knew at that point we were heading to Frisco. There were a ton of Santa Claus's in attendance and the entire crowd sang Rudolph at the break heading into the 4th quarter.

The Chipper. In retrospect, Tyler Jolley's blocked extra point in the 1st quarter was the difference maker. The comeback started with a wheel route to Mario Brown for a 20 or 30 yard gain with about 3 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. A few plays later, it was Mitchell to Kaufman, sticking his foot in the dirt, spinning and diving over for our first score. BLM, Kauf, and Edwards were amazing down the stretch. A Zach Johnson - JC Sherritt blitz on 2nd down of the last UD drive drove them back enough to seal the win.

There are quite a few more that deserve attention (Griz in 97, 2002, 2010, 2013, Idaho 1985, Poly 2011, Oregon State 2013) and I feel fortunate that we've had so many. Being on the losing end of some those mentioned in this thread is another sign of great fortune.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 3rd, 2015, 08:27 AM
A few that come to mind...

1998 Lehigh 41 Colgate 21 - Lehigh was undefeated while Colgate was the 2 time defending league champ. Colgate jumped out early but Lehigh dominated from the 2nd quarter on. The signaled the start of a great run of football for Lehigh. Lehigh and Colgate have had some great games over the last 20 years....

1999 Lehigh 42 Delaware 35 - Lehigh and UD were ranked in the Top 10 iirc. Lehigh hadn't lost a regular season game in nearly 2 years. They also hadn't beaten Delaware in over a decade.

2000 Playoffs Lehigh 37 Western Illinois 7 - WIU was led Edge Hartwell and a reported devastating defense. Lehigh went out to Macomb and absolutely clowned WIU. It was 30-0 at half iirc. Had there not been a monsoon in the second half Lehigh could have hit 60....

1991 Lehigh 41 William & Mary 37 - Lehigh and HC had national title contending teams in 1991 but the PL did not participate in the playoffs. LU had historically struggled against the Tribe but notched a HUGE victory on this day...

2011 Playoffs Lehigh 40 Towson 38 - Lehigh had a helluva team in 2011 and beating the CAA champs on their home field solidified that. Damn twitter....xrolleyesx

1995 Lehigh 37 Lafayette 30 OT - Lehigh rallies in the 4th quarter to force OT. The game ends on a spectacular one handed TD catch in near darkness. Lehigh wins their second ever PL title...

Tribal
October 3rd, 2015, 09:25 AM
There are a lot in the 1990s but the 2009 playoff stomping of Weber State followed immediately by the thrashing of #1 SIU may be the best 8 days of my life. For one win, probably beating UVA 26-14 in '09. Great year until...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

JMUNJ08
October 3rd, 2015, 10:44 PM
I've referred to Indiana State as the worst full scholarship non HBCU program in the nation for the 2000s.

That's probably what he's butt hurted about.

I'm also not entirely wrong

Rhode Island.... *mic drop*

EKU Toss Sweep
October 3rd, 2015, 11:06 PM
Thanks for writing this one up in the other thread Mamberso. I'll take the EKU side in this thread.

#1 - 2011: Eastern Kentucky 52 Jacksonville State 48. JSU led 48-24 with 7:00 left in the game, put backups in. EKU proceeds to score 28 points in five minutes. JSU gets the ball back with a minute left and drives it down to the 2. EKU stuffs Washaun Ealey on the last play of the game.

Sorry about your car. See you in a few weeks.