PDA

View Full Version : ESPN removing DI games against phony schools from site

hebmskebm
September 25th, 2015, 12:30 AM
St. Francis' game this week against University of Faith has been scrubbed from their website, as has Morgan State's game last week against Virginia University of Lynchburg. Valpo's game against College of Faith last week still shows up on their team page but the box score and all other information has been removed as of tonight, though the gruesome replay of the game is still available for viewing on WatchESPN.

bonarae
September 25th, 2015, 02:01 AM
Another effort for nothing? Or are they doing it right in the eyes of the NCAA? xconfusedx

EKUCOLONEL12
September 25th, 2015, 06:01 AM
Why would the NCAA want the games removed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mvemjsunpx
September 25th, 2015, 07:03 AM
Those games don't seem to be listed on STATS, either.

Ironically, though, the SFPA/Faith game is still listed on the NCAA scoreboard. xchinscratchx

Pinnum
September 25th, 2015, 07:36 AM
First, I have no problem with these schools scheduling these matchup. I support multiple definitions of schools and many different collegiate sports associations and as a result, I have no problem with schools from different associations or with different focuses competing against each other.

However, these games, as the policy currently stands, should not be showing up on the scoreboard because they are officially scrimmages per NCAA's new policy. Since ESPN does not report scrimmage results, I think it would be a mistake for them to post the results as if they were countable games since it deceives the uninformed sports consumer. I have also had issue with the media labeling College of Faith as a Division-II school. The default assumption is that they are Division-II in the NCAA but they are not and the association these schools have formed (as far as I know) does not have multiple divisions which makes the statement false.

So while I have no problem with the scheduling of these games, I don't think they should be recognized as games in the media due to current policy (though I am not sure I agree with the policy) but due to the level of play on the field, I think it is poor form for schools to be scheduling these teams. The reality is that they should be playing against low conference D3 programs where the games will be much more competitive (though they won't be getting the guarantee checks).

RedFlash
September 25th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Here is how St. Francis is referring to the game this week in their pregame notes:

The University of Faith is not an NCAA-approved school. As a result, this week’s game will be played as an exhibition game. Stats from this game will not count towards season or career totals.

Scores for exhibition games shouldn't be listed with the official games being played each weekend.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 25th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Here is how St. Francis is referring to the game this week in their pregame notes:

Scores for exhibition games shouldn't be listed with the official games being played each weekend.

Good explanation. Honestly, the Colleges of Faith could fit right in with the NEC. Poor football.

RootinFerDukes
September 25th, 2015, 11:13 AM
It's taking every fiber of my being to not say "well then why isn't espn removing the page for this school that sells degrees to anyone that clicks submit?".

ccd494
September 25th, 2015, 11:20 AM
It's taking every fiber of my being to not say "well then why isn't espn removing the page for this school that sells degrees to anyone that clicks submit?".

That's a rough way to describe Liberty.

JoltinJoe
September 26th, 2015, 05:21 PM
First, I have no problem with these schools scheduling these matchup. I support multiple definitions of schools and many different collegiate sports associations and as a result, I have no problem with schools from different associations or with different focuses competing against each other.

However, these games, as the policy currently stands, should not be showing up on the scoreboard because they are officially scrimmages per NCAA's new policy. Since ESPN does not report scrimmage results, I think it would be a mistake for them to post the results as if they were countable games since it deceives the uninformed sports consumer. I have also had issue with the media labeling College of Faith as a Division-II school. The default assumption is that they are Division-II in the NCAA but they are not and the association these schools have formed (as far as I know) does not have multiple divisions which makes the statement false.

So while I have no problem with the scheduling of these games, I don't think they should be recognized as games in the media due to current policy (though I am not sure I agree with the policy) but due to the level of play on the field, I think it is poor form for schools to be scheduling these teams. The reality is that they should be playing against low conference D3 programs where the games will be much more competitive (though they won't be getting the guarantee checks).

Can you fill me in on this new policy? Or is there somewhere on this board where it is discussed? Thanks

bonarae
September 26th, 2015, 05:31 PM
Can you fill me in on this new policy? Or is there somewhere on this board where it is discussed? Thanks

It was discussed before the season. I'll paste the link for you:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?169610-NCAA-releases-requirements-for-quot-countable-opponents-quot&highlight=scheduling