PDA

View Full Version : Liberty @ So. Illinois

knucklehead
September 23rd, 2015, 05:58 PM
So, Saluki fans, I'd love to hear some of your observations about your team.

Some LU items: Still a bit of a work in progress with some mistakes and some odd errors. But, I'll take that at 2-1. I saw some big gains in this area this week.

VS UM, LU played 5 True Freshmen and 13 RS Freshmen. Young team with many JR and SR leaders / anchors.

Need to work for a more consistent run game. Rice and Abnar are beasts, but the team can't seem to keep it rolling at times.

Senior QB Josh Woodrum, is passing well. He is close to many seemingly untouchable LU records. I think he needs around 1300 yds to take the all time QB passing yards record. He needs 208 yards of total offense to break the program record of 8,806yards.

Several receivers have been stepping up lately (Shells, Farrow, and Parker) to take some weight off Darren Peterson's shoulders.

Senior DL Chima Uzowihe (http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=10872&TeamID=9&RosterID=10046) owns the Liberty and Big South career records with 22.5 sacks and leads the nation with 5.5 sacks in 2015.

LU leads the nation with 14 sacks and sacked UM 7 times on Saturday. They would fit in at #2 in sacks in FBS.

The Flames' defense ranks inside the nation's top 10 for rushing defense, sacks and tackles for a loss this season.

The young secondary is very athletic and played much better vs the Griz.

LU VA SIU Gameday Notes: http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=10869&NewsID=15270&TeamID=

Gill's Tuesday Presser: http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=10869&NewsID=15270&TeamID=

PantherRob82
September 23rd, 2015, 06:37 PM
I don't know what to make of this game.

I haven't been too impressed by SIU thus far. I know they all beat Indiana, but they had been their before and had some terrible seasons after.

Are any SIU fans active on the boards these days? I haven't seen anyone outside of skinny for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

Carbondale is always a lot tough place to win.

knucklehead
September 23rd, 2015, 06:50 PM
What size of attendance do they usually have? I just know that Ind St caught us off guard after a big win last yeas, and I don't want to see that mess again. Any MVFC team will be super tough especially at their place.

centennial
September 23rd, 2015, 07:11 PM
What size of attendance do they usually have? I just know that Ind St caught us off guard after a big win last yeas, and I don't want to see that mess again. Any MVFC team will be super tough especially at their place.

To be honest Indiana State was about as good as Liberty. That wasn't an upset, IMO. On topic even valley teams struggle in Carbondale. I watched their game against Indiana, they played well. They had 3 turnovers vs 0 for SEMO only lost by 3 points. This game is a tossup for me if SIU doesn't turn it over too much.

knucklehead
September 23rd, 2015, 07:15 PM
I can't find it right off, but I think LU is +5 in TO Margin. I didn't mean Ind St was an underdog, I just said I think LU lost focus allowing the Sycamores to roll easily.

Bisonwinagn
September 23rd, 2015, 09:52 PM
To be honest Indiana State was about as good as Liberty. That wasn't an upset, IMO. On topic even valley teams struggle in Carbondale. I watched their game against Indiana, they played well. They had 3 turnovers vs 0 for SEMO only lost by 3 points. This game is a tossup for me if SIU doesn't turn it over too much.

SIU had 7 turnovers in that game including a fumble late. They should have won that game easy. I really think SIU wins since it is their first home game and Liberty is coming off a big home win. These teams are fairly even, but I think SIU wins the emotional aspect. 27-24.

EKUCOLONEL12
September 23rd, 2015, 10:02 PM
I think Liberty defense is to much and they pull off a big road win. LU 28 SIU 17

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 24th, 2015, 06:19 AM
SIU 31-24

Thundar
September 24th, 2015, 07:34 AM
any SIU fans want to weigh in on their thoughts on Lennon being around next year?

Hambone
September 24th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Should be a great game. Thinking SIU pulls it out at home.

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2015, 09:12 AM
any SIU fans want to weigh in on their thoughts on Lennon being around next year?

They can't afford to buy him out.

UNIFanSince1983
September 24th, 2015, 09:59 AM
SIU is getting pretty good at putting themselves in position to have to keep coaches well past when they should. What is the deal with them and big buyouts?

clenz
September 24th, 2015, 10:24 AM
SIU is getting pretty good at putting themselves in position to have to keep coaches well past when they should. What is the deal with them and big buyouts?
They are broke more than the buy out size.

A report came out over the summer that the state is cutting 44 million from SIUs budget

underdawg
September 24th, 2015, 12:56 PM
I say we line it up and go right at Liberty

LT 6-5 302 Adam Olsen

LG 6-5 275 David Meyerhoff

C 6-3 285 Garrett Clark

RG 6-4 333 Jake Noratio

RT 6-7 285 Ethan Wirth

TE 6-7 260 Adam Fuehne

WE must also stop any ground game generated by their undersized OL

Have few TOs (of course)

Also they seem to have a bit of a problem on their special teams--two blocked punts

ST_Lawson
September 24th, 2015, 12:56 PM
They are broke more than the buy out size.

A report came out over the summer that the state is cutting 44 million from SIUs budget

The budget still hasn't been approved though (3 months after it was "due"). The governor's proposed budget would cut somewhere around 30-35% of funding for all the state schools in Illinois. There was a huge uproar about it. I'd imagine that if/when it does eventually get passed, the cuts will be less, but still fairly significant. Most Illinois schools already have practically no money and are getting even less.

So, right now everyone in IL is pretty much operating in a "don't spend a damn cent we don't have to" mode. At least until we know for sure how much $ we have to work with. If SIU wants to buy out their coach's contract, they're going to have to find some private funding for that to happen.

THE HERD
September 24th, 2015, 01:37 PM
The Egyptian Dogs are gonna take this one!

BisonFan02
September 24th, 2015, 03:33 PM
I think SIU is already in "must win" mode and at home....that being said, I've got Liberty by a TD.

knucklehead
September 24th, 2015, 05:50 PM

LT 6-5 302 Adam Olsen

C 6-3 285 Garrett Clark

RG 6-4 333 Jake Noratio

RT 6-7 285 Ethan Wirth

TE 6-7 260 Adam Fuehne

Have few TOs (of course)

Also they seem to have a bit of a problem on their special teams--two blocked punts

This is funny. Undersized O line? Go right at the Dline? Please see non existent UM run game. Please Check #1 in the country in Sacks (team and Individual). Depth is great too to help keep them all fresh. The oline is still meshing with a new lineup, but it's much better than you think. and Undersized? Not really. 6'2" 305, 6'5" 325, 6'4" 290, 6'4" 280, 6'6" 300, and a 6'5" 305 TE. Unless your RBs leap really high, I fail to see the point. Very athletic group.

We did give up 2 punt blocks last week. Not good. I'm sure it's being addressed.

jacksfan29
September 24th, 2015, 06:05 PM
You have a 305lb TE?

This is funny. Undersized O line? Go right at the Dline? Please see non existent UM run game. Please Check #1 in the country in Sacks (team and Individual). Depth is great too to help keep them all fresh. The oline is still meshing with a new lineup, but it's much better than you think. and Undersized? Not really. 6'2" 305, 6'5" 325, 6'4" 290, 6'4" 280, 6'6" 300, and a 6'5" 305 TE. Unless your RBs leap really high, I fail to see the point. Very athletic group.

We did give up 2 punt blocks last week. Not good. I'm sure it's being addressed.

knucklehead
September 24th, 2015, 06:40 PM
You have a 305lb TE?

OOPS looked up OL Will Smith rather than TE Will Johnson. Johnson is 6'6" 255. Sorry

underdawg
September 24th, 2015, 06:40 PM

Your going to use sacks to stop a power run game--good one

underdawg
September 24th, 2015, 06:47 PM

sommer 6-6 300/ Henderman 6-3 290/ Holder 6-4 280/ Burgess 6-3 305/ Hartman 6-4 290 you must have replaced last weeks starters on the o-line cause this is their listed size not what you have said they are

Bisonator
September 24th, 2015, 07:14 PM

sommer 6-6 300/ Henderman 6-3 290/ Holder 6-4 280/ Burgess 6-3 305/ Hartman 6-4 290 you must have replaced last weeks starters on the o-line cause this is their listed size not what you have said they are

They've been eating much better now that they are receiving FCOA. :D

knucklehead
September 24th, 2015, 07:37 PM

If you notice, I was just giving some facts about both sides of the ball. They will obviously stay home if needed. You will also notice my comment about basically shutting Montana's run game.

jacksfan29
September 24th, 2015, 10:16 PM
Montana has a run game? Don't they throw the ball... a lot? BSC plays a very different type of FB than the MVFC.

If you notice, I was just giving some facts about both sides of the ball. They will obviously stay home if needed. You will also notice my comment about basically shutting Montana's run game.

4bidn1
September 25th, 2015, 07:35 AM

LT 6-5 302 Adam Olsen

C 6-3 285 Garrett Clark

RG 6-4 333 Jake Noratio

RT 6-7 285 Ethan Wirth

TE 6-7 260 Adam Fuehne

Have few TOs (of course)

You say that like LU can't line up and gut you like fishes as well

LT 6-6 300 Max Sommer

LG 6-3 290 Michael Henderman

C 6-4 280 Lucas Holder

RG 6-2 305 Aharown Campbell

RT 6-4 290 Tanner Hartman

TE 6-6 255 Will Johnson

So our "undersized" OL you say we have is by a total of 4 inches maybe all across the board, I don't think that's too shabby or that your that dominate

Hell, I your OL is that Great and you could run block as your claiming maybe you wouldn't e sitting at 0-2. Doesn't matter how close you can't take close to the play-offs.

Houndawg
September 25th, 2015, 09:47 AM

LT 6-6 300 Max Sommer

C 6-4 280 Lucas Holder

TE 6-6 255 Will Johnson

So our "undersized" OL you say we have is by a total of 4 inches maybe all across the board, I don't think that's too shabby or that your that dominate

Hell, I your OL is that Great and you could run block as your claiming maybe you wouldn't e sitting at 0-2. Doesn't matter how close you can't take close to the play-offs.

You're right, this is a big mismatch. If SIU can stay within two scores it will be a moral victory.

ValleyChamp
September 25th, 2015, 09:57 AM
If this holds true to the pattern of other MVFC non conf games of the last few years, I expect a tight game with SIU having a great chance to get the W.

clenz
September 25th, 2015, 10:45 AM

LT 6-6 300 Max Sommer

C 6-4 280 Lucas Holder

TE 6-6 255 Will Johnson

Here's the thing though, the average MVFC tackle is something like 6'5 310-315+ lbs. The average MVFC guard is 6'3-6'4 310 lbs the average MVFC center is somewhere between 6'2-6'3 and 300lbs.

It's one thing to have a massive line and go against teams that aren't use to it. It's another to go against a program that sees a big OL every single week. It's not a shock to them to see that size. It's not a physical mismatch like it is for many programs.

Liberty may have the biggest line in the Big South and get to push people around, but are below average at every single position for an MVFC line.

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2015, 11:06 AM
But it's cold and loud. Oh wait, that's Montana.

underdawg
September 25th, 2015, 11:16 AM

Listen , you've obviously got a great team. But I think --if we don't have five turnovers like at SEMO, that we at least got a fighting chance tomorrow. But my Valley brothers do bring up a great point about getting taller OL that can get leverage--doesn't mean that a 6-2 to 6-4 guy can't get it done but the template in the Valley is taller OL---obviously that didn't help Montana's tall OL but you have to take into account that MU did not have their starting QB most of the game and , according to their coach, could not use the majority of their game plan with a guy who had not seen game time all year.

skinny_uncle
September 25th, 2015, 11:25 AM
I don't know what to make of this game.

I haven't been too impressed by SIU thus far. I know they all beat Indiana, but they had been their before and had some terrible seasons after.

Are any SIU fans active on the boards these days? I haven't seen anyone outside of skinny for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

Carbondale is always a lot tough place to win. Apparently, underdawg and houndawg are still around.

skinny_uncle
September 25th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Turnovers have killed the Salukis this year. If they can fix that problem, they could beat anyone.

skinny_uncle
September 25th, 2015, 11:34 AM
They can't afford to buy him out.
I think he only has another year on his contract. Patience is cheaper.

clenz
September 25th, 2015, 11:36 AM
I think he only has another year on his contract. Patience is cheaper.
Patience is how you went from a top 15-20 basketball program to...well...where you are now

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Apparently, underdawg and houndawg are still around.

Oh yeah.

Houndawg
September 25th, 2015, 05:07 PM
Patience is how you went from a top 15-20 basketball program to...well...where you are now

Patience is the only option.

Houndawg
September 25th, 2015, 05:20 PM
So far we've been our own worst enemy. Our recruiting has gotten a little better the past 2-3 years it seems but we're young too. Picked to finish 7th in the MVC, this is a must win game for our playoff chances. I'd expect you'll go after our freshman CBs.

clenz
September 25th, 2015, 08:26 PM
Patience is the only option.
Patience has now cost SIU a top 15 basketball program and a top 10 football program.

I suppose when your hole is already this deep you may as well keep digging until you come out the other side...

caribbeanhen
September 26th, 2015, 07:41 AM
I picked the Saluks in this one... not that there really the best team now... haha