PDA

View Full Version : #3 Umass at #2 Montana

Pages : 1 [2]

Maroon&White
December 5th, 2006, 10:43 AM
It degrades the game and adds nothing. It sets a bad example for kids. For some UMass fans to support it, and almost brag about it, says something to me about those UMass fans.

Same could be said about Montana fans that think riding the players does something. It degrades the game and adds nothing. It sets a bad example for kids. For Montana fans to support it, and brag about it, says something to me about Montana fans.

saint0917
December 5th, 2006, 11:02 AM
If that happened than that is not exceptible by him, and he himself would tell you so

Like I said, you can bad mouth Umass all you want. Just remember,the double standard line forms to the right. :rolleyes:

Kosty
December 5th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Don't expect Liam Coen to find the endzone tyhis weekend as quickly and easily as he finds a glory hole.

Boy, that's classy right there. :nono:

Col Hogan
December 5th, 2006, 11:19 AM
To DJP22192: my statement about your teams (not running the board against N AZ, Weber, or MT St) is based partially on what I have seen of their play on television, partially on what I have seen them do against the Grizzlies in the past, Interesting observation, SINCE THE TWO TEAMS HAVE NEVER PLAYED BEFORE!!!

Russell Trombone
December 5th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Read the context - I was talking about the Atlantic 10.
Hence the plural of teamSSSSSS.
Stop picking on Towson and buck up

GrizFanIRAQ
December 5th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Same could be said about Montana fans that think riding the players does something. It degrades the game and adds nothing. It sets a bad example for kids. For Montana fans to support it, and brag about it, says something to me about Montana fans.

:thumbsup: Your right>>>it's not a football game...were all there listening to a sermon so we should just sit there and not cheer at all!!!xidiotx xidiotx

Col Hogan
December 5th, 2006, 11:39 AM
UMass would NOT be undefeated in conference if they played Weber, N Ariz, Portland State, and Montana State this year
What is it...UMass would not go undefeated or the A-10. Your original post that I responded to is pretty clear to me...Get your story straight. xidiotx xidiotx

Maroon&White
December 5th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Your right>>>it's not a football game...were all there listening to a sermon so we should just sit there and not cheer at all!!!

If players shouldn't trash talk, fans shouldn't get on the players. If players are ripped when they trash-talk, no reason fans shouldn't get the same treatment. Some players get themselves pumped up by trash-talking, some fans get themselves pumped up by riding the players all game. Only difference is, the football players are playing the game, not the fans. The players have more reason to get themselves into game-mode then the fans do.

Green26
December 5th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Maroon & White:

In my view, extreme trash-talking and bad on-field behavior by players is much more degrading to the game, than bad actions of some fans. In fact, to me, it's not even similar, nor a close call. While I don't condone either behavior, the game of football is conducted on the field, and fans (including kids) and tv viewers mostly see what's on the field. Also, I have not seen where Montana fans are bragging about its few fans who talk to players from the stands. On the other hand, I have seen UMass fans essentially bragging about their players who sound like extreme trash-talkers. You can try to minimize the trash-talking issue, but it appears to me that your team and certain players have a well-known reputation for this type of behavior--judging by what some of your fans and some other A-10 fans have been saying.

Ozzie
December 5th, 2006, 11:57 AM
I admit that London is a talker, and I hate that part of his game. Aside from him, who on the UMass team exhibits this behavior?

Russell Trombone
December 5th, 2006, 11:59 AM
I will write slowly and use short words for your benefit.

The reference to not running undefeated in conference (if they played N Ariz, Weber, Mont St) was directed to UMass.

My opinion is based partially upon what I have seen from other A-10.

Your comprehension skills may explain the unrealistic view of your favorite teams abilities and chances this weekend

Cap'n Cat
December 5th, 2006, 12:04 PM
UMass 24
UM 13

Col Hogan
December 5th, 2006, 12:05 PM
I will write slowly and use short words for your benefit.

The reference to not running undefeated in conference (if they played N Ariz, Weber, Mont St) was directed to UMass.

My opinion is based partially upon what I have seen from other A-10.

Your comprehension skills may explain the unrealistic view of your favorite teams abilities and chances this weekend

Tank u for edumakated me...I is just a dumb feller who just discovered this hear footsball game. Yor smarts is obveous and I cain't wait to here mor of its:bang: :bang: :bang:

AZGrizFan
December 5th, 2006, 12:30 PM
UMass 24
UM 13

Antagonizer. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Is that the same UM team you were positive was going to be a first round exit? Along with App State? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

DuckDuckGriz
December 5th, 2006, 12:39 PM
UMass 24
UM 13

Whew. I was worried you would have picked the Griz :o

All is right in the world :nod:

CrunchGriz
December 5th, 2006, 12:56 PM
UMass 24
UM 13

Thank you, Cap'n. Based on your prognostication record, the Griz are now assured of victory. :thumbsup:

Griz Grunt
December 5th, 2006, 12:57 PM
UMass 24
UM 13

Whew, I was getting a little nervous abt this game! But thanks to Cap'n an his KISS-O-DEATH prediction, looks like I can finally relax. ;)

fencer24
December 5th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Tank u for edumakated me...I is just a dumb feller who just discovered this hear footsball game. Yor smarts is obveous and I cain't wait to here mor of its:bang: :bang: :bang:

With your spelling skills, I have to wonder if John Kerry knows that you aren't in Iraq.
xlolx

DrG
December 5th, 2006, 01:01 PM
If it wasn't for the sarcasm you missed, I'd say that was a good one!xlolx

Col Hogan
December 5th, 2006, 01:02 PM
With your spelling skills, I have to wonder if John Kerry knows that you aren't in Iraq.
xlolx
Good story on that...my son was in Iraq when Kerry stuck his foot in his mouth...He told me his e-mail box filled up in minutes of that great picture coming out...friends and family back here all sent it to him. Remember, John Kerry has as much in common with our UM as he has with your UM...NOTHING!!!

Cap'n Cat
December 5th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Antagonizer. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Is that the same UM team you were positive was going to be a first round exit? Along with App State? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Montana's in the playoffs???

Sheeit. My mistake!

Kosty
December 5th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Don't expect Liam Coen to find the endzone tyhis weekend as quickly and easily as he finds a glory hole.

Seriously.....nobody has a problem with this veiled shot at Coen????? Nobody????

AZGrizFan
December 5th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Seriously.....nobody has a problem with this veiled shot at Coen????? Nobody????

I have no idea what it means.... :confused: :confused: :confused: :cool:

Maroon&White
December 5th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Veiled shot? They've been taking shots at everything to do with UMass since Saturday. This is nothing new and just shows a lot about how many Griz fans are.

Peems
December 5th, 2006, 01:19 PM

this should clear up confusion.

http://www.gloryhole.com/main.php

after looking up the definition i will say it was "below the belt":smiley_wi

Col Hogan
December 5th, 2006, 01:24 PM
If you've read any of his other posts, you will quickly realize......nuff said

Griz0383
December 5th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I am inviting any UMASS fans to meet at Red's Bar downtown Missoula prior to the game for a meet and greet! Red's provides tranprotation to and from the game so you don't have to navigate to the stadium. Also most Griz fans we are not hostile to fans from other teams so your safety is ensured to a point! We all meet there at least 3 hours prior to the game and get our game faces on! any interested folks please email more for directions! See you in Griz Nation! GO GRIZZZZZ

saint0917
December 5th, 2006, 01:29 PM

That's because your a Montana fan, you don't have much of an idea about anything :D JUST KIDDING

Tailbone
December 5th, 2006, 01:32 PM
UMass 24
UM 13

You need to take prognostication lessons from your bro.
He's much quicker, and more accurate.

I mean geeze, he correctly predicted the national champ last summer.

AZGrizFan
December 5th, 2006, 01:35 PM
this should clear up confusion.

http://www.gloryhole.com/main.php

after looking up the definition i will say it was "below the belt":smiley_wi

Thats funny. I wouldn't call THAT the glory hole. ;) ;) ;) ;)

To each his own, I guess.

AZGrizFan
December 5th, 2006, 01:36 PM
That's because your a Montana fan, you don't have much of an idea about anything :D JUST KIDDING

Yeah, well, at least I'd be the one on the OUTSIDE of the glory hole box.....:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: ;) :p

Maroon&White
December 5th, 2006, 01:37 PM
I love how anytime somebody actually has the audacity to pick UMass to win, Montana fans jump all over them accusing them of having something against Montana, being jealous of them, mad about a previous loss, etc, etc. Heaven forbid somebody might actually think UMass might stand a chance vs. the glorious Griz.

1Aneedsplayoffs
December 5th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I love how anytime somebody actually has the audacity to pick UMass to win, Montana fans jump all over them accusing them of having something against Montana, being jealous of them, mad about a previous loss, etc, etc. Heaven forbid somebody might actually think UMass might stand a chance vs. the glorious Griz.

are you serious? Wow, you must not know anything about football if you think Mass has a chance....

:smiley_wi

LehighFan11
December 5th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Probably a dumb question to many of you but, is the Montana/Umass game going to be on Espn? I saw it's on Friday at 8pm but i dont think i saw if it was to be on national Tv. Thanks

Cap'n Cat
December 5th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I am inviting any UMASS fans to meet at Red's Bar downtown Missoula prior to the game for a meet and greet! Red's provides tranprotation to and from the game so you don't have to navigate to the stadium. Also most Griz fans we are not hostile to fans from other teams so your safety is ensured to a point! We all meet there at least 3 hours prior to the game and get our game faces on! any interested folks please email more for directions! See you in Griz Nation! GO GRIZZZZZ

All the Griz fans on here are primo, first-rate people. Don't believe the "bad fans" **** you hear from anyone. I was always treated like a king in my three visits there. Bronco, putter, Grizo, polsongrizz, grzfnz and all the others I met are fun, outstanding people.

The only boobs are SOME of the younger-types in the stands, the students, but they haven't grown up yet, so forgive them. Witnessed a whiskey bottle hit a ref at the New Hampy game a couple years ago, but, at least they were somewhat courteous - it was plastic. You will have a wonderful time in Missoula, UMassers, before, during and after.

Tailbone
December 5th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Probably a dumb question to many of you but, is the Montana/Umass game going to be on Espn? I saw it's on Friday at 8pm but i dont think i saw if it was to be on national Tv. Thanks

ESPN2 in High Def.

bkrownd
December 5th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Here's my prediction: UM 27 UM 24

Tribe4SF
December 5th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I admit that London is a talker, and I hate that part of his game. Aside from him, who on the UMass team exhibits this behavior?

He's the only one I've heard it about this year. When we played at UMass this year, their team was very businesslike, and I didn't see any bad behavior from players or fans. In the past, there has been some trash talk from UMass players, but I didn't see any this year.

jimgrizfan
December 5th, 2006, 01:50 PM
xlolx

Col Hogan
December 5th, 2006, 01:52 PM

I'll put some $$$$$ on that!!!:thumbsup:

Col Hogan
December 5th, 2006, 02:26 PM
are you serious? Wow, you must not know anything about football if you think Mass has a chance....

:smiley_wi
How can we find the time to know anything about football, when our entire lives are taken up being pompous, eastern -biased, elite snobs who can't find Montana on a map and think Boston is the center of the universe? :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi

fencer24
December 5th, 2006, 02:34 PM
How can we find the time to know anything about football, when our entire lives are taken up being pompous, eastern -biased, elite snobs who can't find Montana on a map and think Boston is the center of the universe? :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi

That is a Good Question!

Peems
December 5th, 2006, 03:17 PM
message from Steve Whitehead to Brandon London via Facebook:

"Trust me i heard ya on the radio this past weekend, bring ya snow gear and ya ear plugs cuz its loud and cold as a mutha****a, but u know what you got to do and you know whats at stake. i handled up against them bitches and i know u betta. Them boys play dirty so make sure u put #19 on his azz for me please!!!!

Peems
December 5th, 2006, 03:18 PM
also Brandon London's status on facebook

"Brandon is THE BEST RECEIVER IN THE COUNTRY...AND he PLAY ON THE BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY...STOP
HIM!!

bkrownd
December 5th, 2006, 04:17 PM

I know the fall of communism makes us all buddies now, but are we really sure these Siberian teams aren't cheating?

BuckeyeGrizzlyFan
December 5th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I saw that as his status on FB too, Peems.

I can't wait to welcome Mr. London to WAGRIZ on Friday Night.

Russell Trombone
December 5th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Hey DJP and Kosty - I never said Liam Coen wasn't a nice guy. I was just getting you stirred up. I'm sure he's a fine addition to your Amherst Community College and I've heard he's got a great manicure.

In all seriousness, if you can manage the trek, make it out for the game. You'll have a great time no matter which UM wins and you'll find the locals very welcoming. I also promise you won't need a passport to cross an international border.

griz8791
December 5th, 2006, 05:33 PM
also Brandon London's status on facebook

"Brandon is THE BEST RECEIVER IN THE COUNTRY...AND he PLAY ON THE BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY...STOP HIM!!

Fun-but-not-yet-much-discussed Landon fact: he used to post here with some regularity under the name "deepthreatWR." No kidding. I thought I remembered his real name eventually coming out here, so I asked about it on egriz yesterday and one of their fans confirmed it for me. I went looking for some of those old posts here but can't find any. I did find one or two references to him in other threads, though.

bkrownd
December 5th, 2006, 06:02 PM
IIRC that was before the forum software change a while back that made the accounts go bonkers for a while.

grizzfan
December 5th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I'm new to the board and started reading this thread, but gave up at page 12 and FF'ed to 30 or something. Some of our MASS brethern and sistern asked about personalities on defense and either everybody went vanilla or didn't hear them. So a couple of things for you to savor and, forgive me if this was covered in pages 13 to the present!

Defensive End Mike Murphy is about as quick off the snap as you'll see, but he has a couple of buddies that he rotates with to stay fresh that are indistinguishable. Read that Kroy Bierman who, this year, has shone even better.

On the D Line also keep your eye on Kerry Mullan, DT who is a horse.

Shawn Lebsock and Loren Utterback as LB are in every play.

For CB, look to Tuff Harris.

Now these are just the Montana stalwarts mentioned here among others. You'll see them. Most of your players won't until they are helped up off the turf.

On Offense, a trio of Montana TE's are doing real big things - all Freshman, all Montana, one (my favorite) from an 8 man HS team and just got his first TD in the playoffs.

WR's include a Montana Jr who is the clutch man in 3rd down situations, hardly misses.

That's enough. I've probably spied to much for the enemy. :o It's up to the crowd now to make the difference!!

GO GRIZ!!!

Tom

DrG
December 5th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks. Good info. It's been hard to come by on eGriz.

BigSkyGrizGano
December 5th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks. Good info. It's been hard to come by on eGriz.
Most Griz fans only resort to smack when they are insulted first. I'm sure some UMass fan must have made some comment intentionally or not that set off this whole thing. Most Griz fans are very good people:nod:

mtgrizfan4life
December 5th, 2006, 08:37 PM
I hope the game is as competitive this thread!!! Not sure what to think of U Mass fanbase. Very few griz fans get into trash talking, and most show much respect to the opposition and fan base. However, a few U Mass fans have brought out a few ugly sides of GRIZ fans here and Egriz. I have to admit, the closer it gets to game time the more I want the GRIZ to totally dominate U Mass. Usually I just want a well played, hard played, enjoyable, injury free game, expecting the GRIZ to come out on top. However, a few U Mass fans have my intensity up more than normal. I want the GRIZ to Dominate U Mass, just to shut the mouths of a few arrogant, classless U Mass fans (small minority).
If U Mass fans are anything like a few fans, the GRIZ and fans will be even more fired up. I guess we will all see come game time. I can only speak for myself, I am going to be louder than normal sooner than normal. I hope every GRIZ fan feels the same way, I want to make it pure hell for U MASS to hear. The only things they will hear are GRIZ nation and the cannon at least 7 times!!!!
Regardless of outcome in this game, I know I will never pull for U Mass against anyone thanks to the impressions a few U Mass are making. Almost to the point where I will root for the yankees over the SOX. (NOT!!)
Despite my gradually increasing despise for U Mass, I wish every fan a safe trip and good time. I hope after the game, somehow GRIZ nation and U Mass faithful will respect one another, possibly begin a new rivaly in 1A subdivision football!! (that was hard to get out, lol). GO GRIZ!!!!!!

Sam Adams
December 5th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Fun-but-not-yet-much-discussed Landon fact: he used to post here with some regularity under the name "deepthreatWR." No kidding. I thought I remembered his real name eventually coming out here, so I asked about it on egriz yesterday and one of their fans confirmed it for me. I went looking for some of those old posts here but can't find any. I did find one or two references to him in other threads, though.

just remember that anything you read on a message board is true and also remember that its impossible that there might be griz fans posing as umass fans on egriz just to get the locals stirred up. cuz that never happens - everything on a message board is true and everybody is who they say they are.....xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I thought more of Griz fans until I read a few threads on egriz, its just all smack and name calling and people wanting UMass players to have their "spines splattered" etc etc. What a bunch of garbage. You want to be considered classy - act that way. Good natured ribbing is one thing, but too many threads on egriz are just stupid. You want to talk trash and hurl insults around from the safety of your computer...then don't expect to get a lot of respect.

Sam Adams
December 5th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Most Griz fans only resort to smack when they are insulted first. I'm sure some UMass fan must have made some comment intentionally or not that set off this whole thing. Most Griz fans are very good people:nod:

Most UMass fans are very good people too. Stop pointing the finger and just take care of your own business. Just remember you have no idea if a person is a UMass fan or somebody who just wants to stir things up. :smiley_wi

mtgrizfan4life
December 5th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Found this interesting.

Joe Sullivan: No class at UMass
By JOE SULLIVAN
Union Leader Sports
3 hours, 40 minutes ago

ONE WAY or the other, I expected to be pulling for a New England college football team this Saturday. The University of New Hampshire was my overwhelming preference but the University of Massachusetts would have been OK.

I believe that, like me, most New Hampshire sports fans are New England sports fans.

If the New England Patriots had moved and become the Hartford Patriots, they would still have been my team. I've always loved the Boston Bruins, but the Hartford Whalers (with that great logo) were number two -- and I like the team's offspring, the Carolina Hurricanes.

In big-time college hoop, Boston College is first, UConn second. And who in New England didn't root for Vermont when the Catamounts of Taylor Coppenrath qualified for the NCAA tournament?

The decorum among University of Massachusetts fans on Saturday during the UNH-UMass football game left a lot to be desired, says columnist Joe Sullivan.
In college hockey, UNH is No. 1, but if the Wildcats can't win the big one, good for Maine, Boston College or Boston University if one of them can.

I have always enjoyed the successes all of our New England teams have enjoyed.

However, Saturday, when I watch Montana play UMass-Amherst in the semifinals of the NCAA Division I football championship, I'll be rooting hard for the Grizzlies.

I hope they dismantle UMass. And it has nothing to do with the university's football coach or his football players.

It's all about the UMass fans. It's difficult to cheer for a team backed by a large number of cretins and boors.

Last Saturday at Amherst, Mass., at the UNH-UMass football game, I didn't sit in the press box, shielded from these cretins and boors. No, I sat among them and moved among them.

It was not a pleasant experience.

Most members of the UMass student body that I encountered repulsed me. And we're not talking one or two undergrads; we're talking much bigger numbers.

I'm old enough and experienced enough to know that, unfortunately, dealing with the occasional cretin and boor is part of attending too many sporting events. Saturday in Amherst, the place belonged to these people.

Walking into the venue, I heard, "UNH sucks" from at least 10 different college-aged students sporting UMass garb. On my way up to my seat, a young man traveling with a group of young women (they all wore UMass clothing) showcased his anti-UNH venom by screaming, over and over, "(Expletive) UNH! (Expletive) UNH!"

It made no difference to the man that there were women and children walking in the same area. It did make a difference to me. I was halfway up the stairs, and as I continued walking, I looked down and caught his eye. I told him that he had no class.

"(Expletive) you," he screamed.

"You're walking with a group of ladies and you use language like that? That's awful," I answered.

"Ladies? Ladies? Their language is a lot (expletive) worse than mine, sweetheart. You just concentrate on getting up the stairs, you (expletive) cripple."

My words had failed to deter him.

The day continued. I watched the game and listened to the language coming from UMass fans sitting around me. That language was reprehensible. Maybe it's just me, I thought. Maybe I'm just having a bad day, I thought. Maybe I'm the only one encountering these goons, I thought.

I thought wrong.

Several of my friends sat in different sections of the stands. Different seats, same experience, identical sentiments. All eight of us concurred: The behavior of too many UMass students was both crude and boorish throughout the game.

Eventually, a group of police officers moved into position behind the UNH bench. They faced the stands where a large number of young UMass fans congregated. It appeared that they wanted trouble more than they wanted a victory.

Near game's end, an army of police officers and security personnel, many in full riot gear, patrolled both inside and outside the stadium. The radio announcers doing the game on WMUA said their presence was needed so that the goalposts would not be torn down after a UMass win.

I couldn't help but wonder what their job would have been after a UMass loss.

My experience at McGuirk Alumni Stadium ended the way it began. As I left, a UMass supporter (college-aged and wearing a UMass sweatshirt) told anyone wearing anything connected to UNH to stick the loss up a certain part of their anatomy.

No one said a word to him.

And that might be the saddest part of the entire day.

Go, you Grizzlies.

Sam Adams
December 5th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Does anybody want to post a scouting report on the Griz? Its apparently impossible to actually discuss football on egriz so I'm hoping a Griz fan wouldn't mind talking about the game absent 3rd grade trash talking on AGS. Lets hear about the Griz - why do you think they'll be National Champs?

griz8791
December 5th, 2006, 09:28 PM
just remember that anything you read on a message board is true and also remember that its impossible that there might be griz fans posing as umass fans on egriz just to get the locals stirred up. cuz that never happens - everything on a message board is true and everybody is who they say they are.....xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

If you're directing this at me and suggesting I'm gullible for taking the word of a purported UMass fan on egriz about the Landon/"deepthreatwr" thing, I offer the following:

7/21/2005: UMassFan starts a thread here at AGS about site updates. Post number 6 in that thread is by bluehenbillk, who writes: "Did you ask Brandon if he's going to post again this year? I miss reading the musings of deepthreatwr" (emphasis added).

7/20/2006: CollegeSportsInfo starts a thread here at AGS about Curt Schilling posting on the NY Yankees message board. In post number 7, foghorn asks whether it is ok for a college athlete to post on AGS. In post number 10, bluehenbillk writes "Remember deepthreatwr??"

9/16/2006: BULLDOG8180 starts a thread here at AGS asking App. St. fans why Edwards started instead of Elder. In post number 41, UMassFan tells Mr. C that Furman is the only quality team "you" (presumably App. St.) will face this year. JMU2004 replies to this in post number 43 and tells UMassFan "say hi to your boy London..... I thought he was going I-A as a deepthreatWR" (emphasis added).

I'm sorry you think egriz sucks and I'm really sorry you think somebody masquerading as a UMass fan there misled me about the Landon/deepthreatwr connection. Obviously there is nothing to it, right?

Sam Adams
December 5th, 2006, 09:48 PM
If you want to believe EVERYTHING you read on a message board then yes you are gullible. I don't think egriz sucks, if you like it then that is your choice. My choice is to not waste time with a bunch of bs smack talk. There are plenty of great fans on both sides and the teams are very talented and they have demonstrated great sportsmanship all season long but you wouldn't know it if your only source of information was egriz.

griz8791
December 5th, 2006, 09:55 PM
The point isn't believing "EVERYTHING" on egriz, the point is whether it's reasonable to believe this one piece of information and whether there was or was not sufficient corroboration for it here at AGS (and its predecessor). If all you were suggesting was that people could be posting on egriz under false flags, fine. It has happened there. Eventually those people were tracked down via IP address and banned.

mtgrizfan4life
December 5th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Does anybody want to post a scouting report on the Griz? Its apparently impossible to actually discuss football on egriz so I'm hoping a Griz fan wouldn't mind talking about the game absent 3rd grade trash talking on AGS. Lets hear about the Griz - why do you think they'll be National Champs?.

Sam, will do what I can. You seem to have class. Just a few U mass fans that have rialed Egriz up. Can honestly say you are not one of them. Anyway here it goes.

Offense-
QB- Swogger: NFL caliber arm strength, great leadership. When he has time he is capable of picking teams apart. His arm is always a threat for big plays. The only formula that has worked against him is BLITZ. However, the last 4 weeks that has been less effective. IF he is sacked, he is not rialed and tends to make a big play just after the sack. He is not fast, but a load to bring down. He is not afraid to deliver a blow to tacklers either. Just ask would be Portland State defenders. He has a LB mentality.
Backup, Berquist- He started as a FR in 05. This year he has been impressive in spot duty. Does not have the arm strength of Swogger, but few do. He has nice touch and throws a very a catchable ball. As for running, this kid will beat you on the ground consistently. He is exciting to watch, tough, not fast, but elusive. QB job is his to lose in 07.

RB's- Hillard went down for the season. Coleman-ditto. We have rb by committee now. Bradshaw-good combo of size, speed and power, but very beat up now. Will be surpised to see him get time. Brady Green- all heart player, small but delivers a blow, and just grinds away, never tires.
Thomas Brooks-Fletcher: has emerged as our go to guy the last 4 weeks, with a very bright future. He can be counted on for 100 yards consistently. He makes himself small at the line, usually gets to the 2nd level. Very hard to tackle one on one, many yards after contact. He has break away ability but cannot yet, due to only being about 80% now. He is effective in short bursts, but lacks that final gear. That will change as he gets healthier though.
WR's- Very deep and balanced group. Chambers, Allen, and Bagley are all 1 type WR's. All are 6'3" plus and strong. Eric Allen- the most consistent WR this year, no weakness to his game with good physical tools too.
Ryan Bagley- has emerged as our best slot wr, especially on 3rd down. No fear going over the middle. A load to bring down in the open field, but not a speed burner.
Craig Chambers- without doubt, the most talented WR, possibly player on the field at any given time. This kid is big, fast, strong, elusive. It took awhile for him to get in sync with our offense, but over the last 4 weeks has put up some great numbers. 4 TDs in 2 playoff games so far. He will drop a few, but on the next play make a jaw dropping play, that just makes you say "WOW". He is the 1 WR capable of dominating any opponent. I think he will play on Sundays.

OL- very young, big and athletic. They have been beat up/injured the majority of the year. However, are very healthy now, and the results in the offense have been staggering the last 4 weeks. Running lanes are much bigger of late, and have learned to pick up blitzing of late. The sacks over the last few weeks have been more coverage sacks or RB's missing assignments. Prior to the last 4 weeks many sacks were due to OL being inexperienced.

TE's/FB- Beaudin, Pfahler, and Klaboe are all Freshman. They took their lumps in pass protection early, but now are consistent. With improved pass protection for OL they are now running more routes and seeing the ball much more. Each of them have made big plays the last few weeks. BE warned, Beaudin is a beast to bring down.

Now onto our STRENGTH, DEFENSE!!!!!
We go two deep at all positions without fall off. We sub more than any team to keep our players fresh.
DE's- Mike Murphy and Kroy Biermann, 1st team BSC. Murphy was injured early and took time to get into game shape. He has been dominating the last few weeks. Thanks to his injury, Biermann emerged as another Buchannan candidate. He has a motor that does not stop and one of the top sack artists in 1a subdivision. BTW, if either tires or gets injured, Dustin Dloughy has come up with big plays, sacks, tips, fumbles, and always wreaks havoc when he is in there. There is not a better trio of DE's at this level in the nation.
DT- Mullan is a beast that takes up space and ties up blockers to free things up for eveyone else. He sometimes can lose his head with stupid penalties. Mettler and Cain are young but very consistent.
LB's- Utterback, Ryan, and Joyce start. All of them are well rounded without any weakness. Joyce is the best athlete, in turn used in a variety ways in defensive schemes. Ryan is pretty much responsible for run duties or zone coverage. Utterback also is used in a variety of ways and tends to come up with big plays more frequently. Muckie Foreman comes off the bench. He is a converted DB, so he has above average speed and loves to hit. He too is used in a variety of ways. Alex Hawthorne is the other LB that see significant PT, very athletic and IMHO our best pass rushing LB.

CB's- Tuff Harris and Jimmy Wilson start. Both are hard to beat and very seldom get burned or give up big plays. Tuff usually is not heared from often being few teams attack him. Wilson though is only a CB by title. This kid lives to "HIT" and makes many big plays. He has become my favorite CB. When we go nickel and dime he tends to be moved all over, including on some blitzes. Quinton Jackson and Tim Parks see a lot of pt. Jackson is very athletic and fast, with big play capability. Parks is SOLID.

Safeties- Starters are Colt Anderson and Torrey Thomas, both are play makers. Colt is involved on every play and will have several hard bone jarring hits every game. Thomas has a tendency to come up with huge ints or forces turnovers at the most opportune times. Both were 1st team BSC. Van Cooper, an athletic freak, great speed and good size. He is our best coverage safety with CB speed. Also hits like Anderson and Wilson. Hard to think of harder hitting DB trio anywhere. Matt Lebsock sees plenty of time. He too is solid, without weakness.

Due to our defensive depth we tend to mix in blitzes here and there, but majority of pressure comes from the front 4 while the other 7 can take care of assignments. Assignments are the key to the GRIZ defense, they are very seldom out of place, and it is normal to see 4 plus players on the ball on a regular basis.

Overall: This team creates TO's and stingy. Hats off to any O that puts 20 on this D. They are great in the red zone too, and good luck converting on 3rd down.

Special teams- Thank God for Dan Carpenter!!! He sees double duty, due to injury of Tyson Johnson. Dan is athletic, and not your typical kicker. He runs, passes, kicks, and punts. BTW, he can kick with either foot well. Punt Returner, Tuff Harris is one of best in the nation. Most teams chose to punt away from him. He is a threat every time he is punted to. Wise thing to do is to punt away from him.
Kick Return coverage is good, but have given up a few big ones. Most often they keep return game inside the 20.

As for coaching, "never expect the norm!" The unexpected is what keeps us in our seats regardless of score. Hauck, has no fear when it comes to going for 4th down. He has a knack for calling for the unexpected at most opportune times. Normally when he takes a chance it turns out to be big play. There is no such thing as normal play calling with this staff. Especially moreso offensively the last few weeks. We have opened up the playbook and results have been staggering.

That sums it up, hope you are happy now. Good luck U Mass. Here is to the GRIZ coming out on top!!!!

Finally, the rowdiest fans in 1a subdivision and the best mascot in the nation!!!!!!!

Green26
December 5th, 2006, 11:13 PM
egriz was fine, and basically celebrating the win over SIU, until certain UMass posters like UMassWhiteonWhite showed up on Sunday. He's made 118 posts so far, and he has slowed his posting after being warned by the moderators yesterday. His first post said crowd noise would not be a factor. He refused to accept that our little stadium could be loud enough to be a factor, and then the battle was on. Some other UMass posters joined in, and made some questionable posts. There were scores of smack posts by egrizzers after the battle began.

egriz was perfectly fine the prior weeks, and there was much respect and virtually no smack, between McNeese and Montana posters in particular.

During the playoffs, it's hard to find information on egriz, as there are too many posts, threads, and amateurs, and the threads can turn south in a hurry with the competitors joining in. It's a great site, though.

mtgrizfan4life
December 5th, 2006, 11:26 PM
egriz was fine, and basically celebrating the win over SIU, until certain UMass posters like UMassWhiteonWhite showed up on Sunday. He's made 118 posts so far, and he has slowed his posting after being warned by the moderators yesterday. His first post said crowd noise would not be a factor. He refused to accept that our little stadium could be loud enough to be a factor, and then the battle was on. Some other UMass posters joined in, and made some questionable posts. There were scores of smack posts by egrizzers after the battle began.

egriz was perfectly fine the prior weeks, and there was much respect and virtually no smack, between McNeese and Montana posters in particular.

During the playoffs, it's hard to find information on egriz, as there are too many posts, threads, and amateurs, and the threads can turn south in a hurry with the competitors joining in. It's a great site, though.

That is about as "true" of a post one can get. I have to agree with him 100%. McNeese and SIU fans as whole showed much more respect to one another, and cannot recall one time getting into pissing matches with any of their fans. Yes they were confident too, but did it with class and respect, which is the norm at EGRIZ to most fan bases. It can get nasty come GRIZ/CAT rival week. Even that was not too extreme at EGRIZ this year.

APPST '93
December 6th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Early line

MT -3.5 O/U 38.5

I'll take MT and the under.

10-3

Sam Adams
December 6th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the report MtnGriz. As good as UMass is, Montana should be the favorite playing at home. As for what happened on egriz...we'll have to agree to disagree. Also Be wary of assuming that every poster purporting to be a UMass fan isn't really a Griz fan in disguise just posting dumb stuff to get the griz fans riled up...cause honestly: I've never heard of a few of these supposed UMass fans who suddenly appeared on egriz for the first time all season.

VictorG
December 6th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Also Be wary of assuming that every poster purporting to be a UMass fan isn't really a Griz fan in disguise just posting dumb stuff to get the griz fans riled up...

Absolutely true and is the biggest problem with that site. I have totally quit posting over there because to many a$$holes have multiple screen names and think it's a kick to stir sh$t up. Until eGriz limits one screen name to a user or at least makes a good attempt at it, I don't have the temperament to put up with even reading it. Some people like that, but I have had enough conflict in my life that I don't need it.

Tribe4SF
December 6th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Sam, will do what I can. You seem to have class. Just a few U mass fans that have rialed Egriz up. Can honestly say you are not one of them. Anyway here it goes.

Offense-
QB- Swogger: NFL caliber arm strength, great leadership. When he has time he is capable of picking teams apart. His arm is always a threat for big plays. The only formula that has worked against him is BLITZ. However, the last 4 weeks that has been less effective. IF he is sacked, he is not rialed and tends to make a big play just after the sack. He is not fast, but a load to bring down. He is not afraid to deliver a blow to tacklers either. Just ask would be Portland State defenders. He has a LB mentality.
Backup, Berquist- He started as a FR in 05. This year he has been impressive in spot duty. Does not have the arm strength of Swogger, but few do. He has nice touch and throws a very a catchable ball. As for running, this kid will beat you on the ground consistently. He is exciting to watch, tough, not fast, but elusive. QB job is his to lose in 07.

RB's- Hillard went down for the season. Coleman-ditto. We have rb by committee now. Bradshaw-good combo of size, speed and power, but very beat up now. Will be surpised to see him get time. Brady Green- all heart player, small but delivers a blow, and just grinds away, never tires.
Thomas Brooks-Fletcher: has emerged as our go to guy the last 4 weeks, with a very bright future. He can be counted on for 100 yards consistently. He makes himself small at the line, usually gets to the 2nd level. Very hard to tackle one on one, many yards after contact. He has break away ability but cannot yet, due to only being about 80% now. He is effective in short bursts, but lacks that final gear. That will change as he gets healthier though.
WR's- Very deep and balanced group. Chambers, Allen, and Bagley are all 1 type WR's. All are 6'3" plus and strong. Eric Allen- the most consistent WR this year, no weakness to his game with good physical tools too.
Ryan Bagley- has emerged as our best slot wr, especially on 3rd down. No fear going over the middle. A load to bring down in the open field, but not a speed burner.
Craig Chambers- without doubt, the most talented WR, possibly player on the field at any given time. This kid is big, fast, strong, elusive. It took awhile for him to get in sync with our offense, but over the last 4 weeks has put up some great numbers. 4 TDs in 2 playoff games so far. He will drop a few, but on the next play make a jaw dropping play, that just makes you say "WOW". He is the 1 WR capable of dominating any opponent. I think he will play on Sundays.

OL- very young, big and athletic. They have been beat up/injured the majority of the year. However, are very healthy now, and the results in the offense have been staggering the last 4 weeks. Running lanes are much bigger of late, and have learned to pick up blitzing of late. The sacks over the last few weeks have been more coverage sacks or RB's missing assignments. Prior to the last 4 weeks many sacks were due to OL being inexperienced.

TE's/FB- Beaudin, Pfahler, and Klaboe are all Freshman. They took their lumps in pass protection early, but now are consistent. With improved pass protection for OL they are now running more routes and seeing the ball much more. Each of them have made big plays the last few weeks. BE warned, Beaudin is a beast to bring down.

Now onto our STRENGTH, DEFENSE!!!!!
We go two deep at all positions without fall off. We sub more than any team to keep our players fresh.
DE's- Mike Murphy and Kroy Biermann, 1st team BSC. Murphy was injured early and took time to get into game shape. He has been dominating the last few weeks. Thanks to his injury, Biermann emerged as another Buchannan candidate. He has a motor that does not stop and one of the top sack artists in 1a subdivision. BTW, if either tires or gets injured, Dustin Dloughy has come up with big plays, sacks, tips, fumbles, and always wreaks havoc when he is in there. There is not a better trio of DE's at this level in the nation.
DT- Mullan is a beast that takes up space and ties up blockers to free things up for eveyone else. He sometimes can lose his head with stupid penalties. Mettler and Cain are young but very consistent.
LB's- Utterback, Ryan, and Joyce start. All of them are well rounded without any weakness. Joyce is the best athlete, in turn used in a variety ways in defensive schemes. Ryan is pretty much responsible for run duties or zone coverage. Utterback also is used in a variety of ways and tends to come up with big plays more frequently. Muckie Foreman comes off the bench. He is a converted DB, so he has above average speed and loves to hit. He too is used in a variety of ways. Alex Hawthorne is the other LB that see significant PT, very athletic and IMHO our best pass rushing LB.

CB's- Tuff Harris and Jimmy Wilson start. Both are hard to beat and very seldom get burned or give up big plays. Tuff usually is not heared from often being few teams attack him. Wilson though is only a CB by title. This kid lives to "HIT" and makes many big plays. He has become my favorite CB. When we go nickel and dime he tends to be moved all over, including on some blitzes. Quinton Jackson and Tim Parks see a lot of pt. Jackson is very athletic and fast, with big play capability. Parks is SOLID.

Safeties- Starters are Colt Anderson and Torrey Thomas, both are play makers. Colt is involved on every play and will have several hard bone jarring hits every game. Thomas has a tendency to come up with huge ints or forces turnovers at the most opportune times. Both were 1st team BSC. Van Cooper, an athletic freak, great speed and good size. He is our best coverage safety with CB speed. Also hits like Anderson and Wilson. Hard to think of harder hitting DB trio anywhere. Matt Lebsock sees plenty of time. He too is solid, without weakness.

Due to our defensive depth we tend to mix in blitzes here and there, but majority of pressure comes from the front 4 while the other 7 can take care of assignments. Assignments are the key to the GRIZ defense, they are very seldom out of place, and it is normal to see 4 plus players on the ball on a regular basis.

Overall: This team creates TO's and stingy. Hats off to any O that puts 20 on this D. They are great in the red zone too, and good luck converting on 3rd down.

Special teams- Thank God for Dan Carpenter!!! He sees double duty, due to injury of Tyson Johnson. Dan is athletic, and not your typical kicker. He runs, passes, kicks, and punts. BTW, he can kick with either foot well. Punt Returner, Tuff Harris is one of best in the nation. Most teams chose to punt away from him. He is a threat every time he is punted to. Wise thing to do is to punt away from him.
Kick Return coverage is good, but have given up a few big ones. Most often they keep return game inside the 20.

As for coaching, "never expect the norm!" The unexpected is what keeps us in our seats regardless of score. Hauck, has no fear when it comes to going for 4th down. He has a knack for calling for the unexpected at most opportune times. Normally when he takes a chance it turns out to be big play. There is no such thing as normal play calling with this staff. Especially moreso offensively the last few weeks. We have opened up the playbook and results have been staggering.

That sums it up, hope you are happy now. Good luck U Mass. Here is to the GRIZ coming out on top!!!!

Finally, the rowdiest fans in 1a subdivision and the best mascot in the nation!!!!!!!

Good job, but let's get the name straight. It's the Football Championship Subdivision, or FCS. Some folks on here refer to it as the CS, but the NCAA designation is FCS.

GannonFan
December 6th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Good job, but let's get the name straight. It's the Football Championship Subdivision, or FCS. Some folks on here refer to it as the CS, but the NCAA designation is FCS.

Uh-oh, we'll need to have all the threads renamed again!!! :rolleyes:

Ronbo
December 6th, 2006, 10:45 AM
ESPN called it "Division I Football Championship". They called it that dozens of times during the Griz telecast last Saturday. They have dropped Subdivision which is fine with me.

DrG
December 6th, 2006, 11:05 AM
That's what the NCAA is officially calling it. It was on their banner on our scoreboard last Saturday. It's also fine with me.

Col Hogan
December 6th, 2006, 11:46 AM
ESPN called it "Division I Football Championship". They called it that dozens of times during the Griz telecast last Saturday. They have dropped Subdivision which is fine with me.

NCAA is doing the production, hiring the announcers, etc. ESPN, NESN, CN8 and other's take the feed, add some of their own graphics...so, it's not ESPN calling it something on a Griz or YSU or UMass or App broadcast...it's NCAA folks.. Just my :twocents:

Russell Trombone
December 6th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Do you think that they renamed it "football championship subdivision" to make it sound more appealing and make it more likely to be watched by non- I-AA fans?

DrG
December 6th, 2006, 01:15 PM
No, it's to make it clear that everybody is Division I in all sports. There is a sense that other sports have been stigmatized by the IAA designation in football.

GrizzlyEdd
December 6th, 2006, 01:57 PM
No, it's to make it clear that everybody is Division I in all sports. There is a sense that other sports have been stigmatized by the IAA designation in football.

I agree with that totally... too bad the NCAA didn't change the name a long time ago...

LehighFan11
December 6th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Early line

MT -3.5 O/U 38.5

I'll take MT and the under.

10-3
Where did you get that line?

Peems
December 6th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Matt D officially picks the griz by 3.

UNH 40
December 6th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I believe that UMass has 19 transfers, how many does Montana have.

Peems
December 6th, 2006, 02:38 PM

off the top of my head i can name...
Chambers(WR)
Allen(WR)
Russum(OL)
Horn(OL) doesnt play as much.
Qwenton Freeman(CB) doesnt play much
Swogger(QB)
Bradsha(RB)
Coleman(RB) INJURED
those are the ones i can think of who play.
Waiting in the wings for next year is oklahoma transfer JD Quinn

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 6th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I sure hope the people in Missoula know what they have for a football program and stadium. I went to the MT/McNeese game and it reminded me of how much I missed the atmosphere there. I have been to the Griz games down here in Utah and lots of other 1A games in the area and it makes me miss it all the more. None of the stadiums down here are as loud or fun and it's sad really. 60K people and you can talk to the person 5 rows down from you, that won't happen Friday night :-)

The MT/Weber game was interesting. One of the weber players got a kick out of interacting with the MT fans. Before the day was done, he had heard enough and gave us the middle finger. I can honestly say, no one said anything mean, or degrading or anything of the sorts. But the fans (myself included) rode him till the end, it is our job after all and we finally got the reaction we wanted :D My sister-in-law went with me and my family to the game, it helped her understand me and my brother a little better when it comes to football, seeing 1/2 the people there as loud as we were and all wearing Maroon in a purple stadium.

bkrownd
December 6th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Who gives a flip what it's called? xcoffeex

GannonFan
December 6th, 2006, 03:15 PM

I counted 8 off their official roster. They have 8, Appy St has 8, UMass has 20, and YSt has 25. Oh, when UD was called transfer U in 2003, they had 8 on the roster. :nod:

mtgrizfan4life
December 6th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Amazing, GRIZ nation and U mass nation getting along today. WOW!!!!

Green26
December 6th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Counting off the top of my head, Montana has 11 I-A players.

Swogger - starting qb, Wash St., started 6 games as a sophomore at WSU until getting hurt, never got back in lineup, was WSU captain - senior

Allen - starting receiver, having very good year, second year as UM starter, Ok. St. - junior

Chambers - starting receiver, started from mid-season, coming on strong, U Wash., started at UW last year and led team in TD receptions and was second in catches and yaradage - junior

Russum - starting tackle, Ariz. (?), originally from Idaho - sophomore

Coleman - started against Iowa and then got hurt, Iowa St., started 2 games for IS last year - junior but may be able to get medical redshirt, I assume

Bradshaw - more starts at rb than anyone else, got hurt but may be back now, Louisville, originally from British Columbia - junior

Freeman - back-up cornerback, Arizona - junior, I think

Horn - tackle, got some starts due to injury, Oregon, from Spokane - frosh

Washington - started at qb early last season, injured this season, Bowling Green - senior but may get another season

LeMantia - d-tackle not getting playing time, Boise St - may be a sophomore or frosh

Quinn - o-lineman, not eligible, started about 4 games at Oklahoma last year - sophomore

Montana has no JC transfers

smegriz
December 6th, 2006, 04:41 PM
All i can say about this game, makes me a little nervous. Two very good teams battling it out for a chance in nooga. I pick the griz, (of course, i got some homer in me, can't help it, im a griz in bozeman) 21-17, with a touchdown in the end to finish, and half the griz fans feeling like they had a heart attack.:thumbsup: Go Griz! and good luck UMass

KAUMASS
December 6th, 2006, 05:30 PM
UMass has 2 FBS transfers starting-TE Listorti, Rutgers, and Lawrence FB, UConn. Lawrence has seen action at TB, but started last week at FB. Washington, TB, sees some action, Syracuse. Defensively, DB Meggett is a transfer from Rodriguez-less West Virginia. He will see alot of action, but technically not a starter. DE Hatchell is a FCS transfer from Lehigh.
The other FBS transfers have added some depth for us. Any UMass fans, If I am missing anyone, please correct me.
Dougherty from Sports Network favors the Griz by 3, which I think is a fair assessment with UMass on the road. Flip a coin, this could go either way. Buckle your seatbelts ladies and gentlemen.

Griz0383
December 6th, 2006, 07:15 PM
It gonna be cold in helgate canyon on friday! Umass should feel right at home warm comfy confines of WASH\GRIZ stadium

KAUMASS
December 6th, 2006, 07:30 PM
What's the forecast in Griz country?

griz8791
December 6th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Accuweather says mostly cloudy with daytime high of 27.

GrizRchattybound
December 6th, 2006, 07:33 PM
What's the forecast in Griz country?

Balmy = Friday: Sunshine and clouds mixed. High near 35F. Winds light and variable. Of course it said possible snow showers a few hours ago on one of the websites I checked.

Griz Win!

Griz40
December 6th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Yeah....what happened to the umass fans who were stirring things up here?--(no offense to the umass posters previous to this today)

UNH_ORACLE
December 6th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Will UMASS be getting the fire alarm wake up call this year????

Griz0383
December 6th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Brilliant idea! oracle

Grizo406
December 6th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Will UMASS be getting the fire alarm wake up call this year????

They will...at about 17:35hrs, MST, this Friday.;)

grizzfan
December 6th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgrizfan4life

Yeah....what happened to the umass fans who were stirring things up here?--(no offense to the umass posters previous to this today)

They are all coming to Missoula now and want free drinks!!

BTW their team should land at MSO in about an hour and a half. Looks clear so they should have to land in Helena and bus over here.. Too Bad!!

Tom

Griz Fan
December 6th, 2006, 09:42 PM
wondering if they will stay at the Hilton Gardens out on Reserve like the Salukis did last week

Griz40
December 6th, 2006, 09:52 PM

BTW their team should land at MSO in about an hour and a half. Looks clear so they should have to land in Helena and bus over here.. Too Bad!!

Tom
Are they really busing from Helena? You confused me on that one.

1Aneedsplayoffs
December 6th, 2006, 11:58 PM
wondering if they will stay at the Hilton Gardens out on Reserve like the Salukis did last week

:bang:

I live just up the street!

bkrownd
December 7th, 2006, 12:33 AM

Pffff, I'll still be at work. :nonono2:

Tribe4SF
December 7th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Who gives a flip what it's called? xcoffeex

We have a brand in the FCS, just as we did with I-AA. If you don't understand the importance of name recognition, then you won't care. You would probably care if wire and internet services listed the final score as UMA 27 Montana 21.

Old Cage
December 7th, 2006, 08:27 AM
grizzfan - When you posted this:

Yeah....what happened to the umass fans who were stirring things up here?

Our hoops team had our attention - we were in the middle of a terrible performance in beating Boston University by two. Folks will get back to football today.

lizrdgizrd
December 7th, 2006, 08:32 AM
We have a brand in the FCS, just as we did with I-AA. If you don't understand the importance of name recognition, then you won't care. You would probably care if wire and internet services listed the final score as UMA 27 Montana 21.
I think the problem is some folks think we gave up whatever name recognition we had with the I-AA brand when we switched to the FCS. How smart is it to switch brands in the middle of the season?!? xidiotx

Cleets
December 7th, 2006, 09:16 AM

Okay!
Wait.....Umass vs. Montana
Friday at 7:35 EST kick-off on ESPN2 ???

Please confirm this data

jimgrizfan
December 7th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Your data is correct

grizzfan
December 7th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan

Tom

Are they really busing from Helena? You confused me on that one.

My bad. I should have said shouldn't have to buss over here

ON the other hand, today is totally socked in so it was wise for them to fly last night. I'm going over to Sentinel HS later this AM to watch them practice, UMass that is.

Tom

Tribe4SF
December 7th, 2006, 09:56 AM
I think the problem is some folks think we gave up whatever name recognition we had with the I-AA brand when we switched to the FCS. How smart is it to switch brands in the middle of the season?!? xidiotx

If you're going to switch names, using your highest profile event to spread the word is probably the most effective way. For better or worse, the change has come, and we have to live with it. It's in all of our interests to try to increase recognition.

Russell Trombone
December 7th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Montana: big state - Mass: big population
Montana: big sky - Mass: big accent
Montana: big playoff tradition - Mass: big posturing
Montana: big hits by D - Mass: big mouths on players
Montana: big game next week - Mass: big disappointment for next week

Cleets
December 7th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Montana: big state - Mass: big population
Montana: big sky - Mass: big accent
Montana: big playoff tradition - Mass: big posturing
Montana: big hits by D - Mass: big mouths on players
Montana: big game next week - Mass: big disappointment for next week

Wow!
this could get ugly fast... I'm glad I've got a ring-side seat on ESPN2 to watch this game

KAUMASS
December 7th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Take your "trombone" and hoot it in the smack section..

Peems
December 7th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Take your "trombone" and hoot it in the smack section..

i actually agree, we need to stop smacking in the "discussion" area. I for one am getting too excited and cant wait for tomorrow. so officially, how many of you UMass fans are coming out?

Cleets
December 7th, 2006, 03:58 PM
i actually agree, we need to stop smacking in the "discussion" area. I for one am getting too excited and cant wait for tomorrow. so officially, how many of you UMass fans are coming out?

None
Missoula is impossibly expensive to fly into... Down right rediculous

Ronbo
December 7th, 2006, 03:59 PM
UMass is having a get together at the Mo Club tonight. They are even broadcasting a radio show back to Amherst. Montana fans are organizing and plan to be there in "mass" to help them celebrate.:nod: :nod: :nod:

BigSkyGrizGano
December 7th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Bumpity Bump

Sam Adams
December 7th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Great thanks for the support Griz fans !

KAUMASS
December 7th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Good luck Griz, Good luck Minutemen..may the best team win without any serious injuries. Whoever wins should take the NC title..but, I am concerned we may beat the heck out of each other and have no gas left in the tank for either team for the title game. After seeing Appalachian and YSU, I don't beleive either team is as physical as UMass or Montana. :hurray: :nod: :)

Does anyone know off hand what conference crew is officiating?

mtgrizfan4life
December 8th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Hey AGS, GRIZ, Mass,YSU, and App State fans. I am just curious what others think regarding the lack of coverage by ESPN regarding D1 Football Championship. Here is what I posted at EGRIZ.com. What do other's think?

ARGH, anyone else frustrated with the lack of coverage the night before by ESPN. At least CSTV took some time for it!!! I have been watching all the espn networks including ESPNU in hope to see some analysis or anything regarding each semi final game. They give more pregame hype the westminster dog show, than D1 football championship!!!!! Would ESPN please give these teams some love and hype!!

Would it not make sense to do something the night before? Some hype would get some more viewers to tune in tomorrow and Saturday. Show some coverage of how crazy Missoula is, how hyped the fans are. Find Umass fans, and ask them about their experience. Do a feature on what the GRIZ have accomplished over the last 20 years. No wonder their ratings suck in comparison to the no name bowl games!!!

ESPN please step it up for the respected teams and communities these teams are representing!!!!! I am so tired of BCS bowl talk one month before they even play the damn games, would it not hurt to give the smaller guys some pub for at least the semis and finals?

After all, I am sure these communities are kissing up to ESPN ass to make them feel comfortable. Where is the love ESPN? I too would love to see some coverage from App State to see how things are over there. Break down the teams, give fans some insight regarding the schools, programs, and communities, etc!!! Am I asking too much? Who else feels some what the way I do?

ncguitarplyr
December 8th, 2006, 02:37 AM
can't wait to watch the game....hopefully this game is a close double overtime game and i get to watch some good football and then the app game is a blowout so i don't have a heart attack in the 4th quarter

Sam Adams
December 8th, 2006, 07:06 AM
I agree about ESPN - I haven't even seen an ad for the game. No coverage etc. Why do they bother to send a crew to televise the game if they aren't going to hype it? Seems kind of stupid.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 8th, 2006, 07:12 AM
We need to all get on ESPN about this and let them know they are slacking. They need to know they are missing out on some good football. :o

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=contact/espntv

Maroon&White
December 8th, 2006, 08:57 AM
I agree about ESPN - I haven't even seen an ad for the game.

I was watching the rodeo last night on ESPN2 and there was an ad.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I believe they just mentioned the game and had one of those boxes up that say the matchup and when...no real 'ad' where they show clips and things like that.

penguin8797
December 8th, 2006, 09:06 AM
I looked on the ESPN and FOX Sports web sites and could find nothing. I know there are some post game video's but I expected an article or some mention of the upcoming games other than time and date. Maybe they will at least have something about the NC beforehand. On a positive note the TV coverage has been more extensive this year with national broadcasts of playoff games from the first two rounds. In the last several years national TV coverage was limited to the semi's and NC.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 8th, 2006, 11:30 AM
I looked on the ESPN and FOX Sports web sites and could find nothing. I know there are some post game video's but I expected an article or some mention of the upcoming games other than time and date. Maybe they will at least have something about the NC beforehand. On a positive note the TV coverage has been more extensive this year with national broadcasts of playoff games from the first two rounds. In the last several years national TV coverage was limited to the semi's and NC.

I can't find much either. Not one single write up and that really suprises me. I think the playoffs are a great product that they are televising and they should do a better job, it would only be self serving to advertise for themselves so I don't think we are asking for too much :D

DrG
December 8th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I absoutely agree. As far as college FB goes, we're the only game in town for the next two weeks and they should be doing much more to promote it.

BuckeyeGrizzlyFan
December 8th, 2006, 12:47 PM
This years final four are 45-1 against I-AA teams.

And you're telling me this isn't worth giving SOME hype to?

KAUMASS
December 8th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Latest UMass/UMont Stats per game:
UMass UMontana
Yards allowed- 284.9 261.5
Yards gained- 388.3 383.4
Points scored- 29 28.3
Points allowed-11.9 15.8

'gonna be a hot one in Missoula tonight!

Griz Army
December 8th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Latest UMass/UMont Stats per game:
UMass UMontana
Yards allowed- 284.9 261.5
Yards gained- 388.3 383.4
Points scored- 29 28.3
Points allowed-11.9 15.8

'gonna be a hot one in Missoula tonight!

What I hope doesn't happen is a repeat of the Montana vs Furman National Championship. That was a great game, but a real sleeper for the viewing audience. :twocents:

bkrownd
December 8th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Real football fans enjoy a physical game slogged out on the line of scrimmage, not a flying circus. May the best blockers and tacklers win. :cool:

mschn99
December 8th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I think the griz should pull this one out tonight...if nothing other than home field being the difference....BUT i think we are in for a VERY physical and hard fought close game by both teams!!! I can hardly sit still im so excited:D :hurray:

napkinn
December 13th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Ok NAPKINN- I've seen so much of this east coast provincial ignorance that I can't stand idle anymore. Last week someone circulated an AP sports article talking about how MSU players from Bozeman would be out of sorts playing at the altitude in Boone, NC.
NAPKINN and others like him possess the geographic sophistication of the average American before the Louisiana Purchase.
You think you have good football just like you think you have real skiing.
No - it isn't like Fenway Park, and none of your minutemen (I assume named by their girlfriends) have ever played in Fenway Park, anyway. No, you don't know what you're up against. I used to think UMASS had a good shot at winning, but now I am beginning to believe that they are all too provincial and naive to properly prepare for such a game.
This isn't going to be a fishing-line-laden sandbox like Chattanooga Stadium with James Madison. Our skill players won't be limited and your offense will be humbled. Swogger may not be the most efficient passer in the semi-finals, but if he's on just a little beter than his average game, you're headed for the same fate as the over-confident '95 E Kentucky team that never say Wash-Griz Stadium before. I would have to give creedence to a New Hampshire player who has played on that field before buying into anything uttered by a BoSox fan who can't even find the 4th largest state in the union with the help of Rand McNally.

Wow...Ouch. 4th Largest State by Size. How about input into the nation though? Montana has 3 Electoral College votes. Massachusetts has 12, so we have 4 times as much say in who runs the country as you do. In fact, further analysis says that Rhode Island has 4, and is only twice the land area of the CITY of Missoula.

elkmcc
December 13th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Wow...Ouch. 4th Largest State by Size. How about input into the nation though? Montana has 3 Electoral College votes. Massachusetts has 12, so we have 4 times as much say in who runs the country as you do. In fact, further analysis says that Rhode Island has 4, and is only twice the land area of the CITY of Missoula.

Wow. Thanks for reminding me that I would never want to live in RI.
Montana doesn't pride itself on having overpopulation, crowded everything and tons of politicians. Quite the contrary, Montana takes pride in the fact that it has wide open spaces, clean air and water, and uncrowded schools for our children. Finally, if fewer people = fewer politicians this Montanan is all for that.;)

uofmman1122
December 13th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Agreed. Take your politicians and your "vast" amounts of people. We'll keep our wildlife, recreational areas, clean air, and awesome, friendly people. Didn't someone ever tell you that more doesn't necessarily mean better?

DCFan
December 13th, 2006, 12:07 PM

And exactly what influence do electoral college votes have on the national dialogue? As far as electoral college votes go, once every four years Massachusetts can be counted on to put their electoral college votes behind whatever democrat is running for president, which in five of the last seven elections was a republican. xidiotx

CollegeSportsInfo
December 13th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Agreed. Didn't someone ever tell you that more doesn't necessarily mean better?

Yeah, some guy from Montana Power.

http://www.billrotelladrumbeatings.com/rimshot.gif