PDA

View Full Version : Richmond playing Fordham and Colgate

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 16th, 2015, 09:37 PM
Coach Rocco stated on his radio show yesterday that we have upcoming series with Colgate and Fordham. Really happy to hear this. I enjoy playing VMI and hope to continue to but really hope this signals expanding our OOC FCS scheduling horizon beyond the Virginia border.

FordhamFan
September 16th, 2015, 10:21 PM
Excited to hear that as well! Love seeing PL teams schedule solid out of conference games. Man, Richmond is far away from New York though! Car's gonna get a lot of miles

Fordham
September 16th, 2015, 10:26 PM
Great news

Gate83
September 16th, 2015, 10:53 PM
Gate future schedules have @ Richmond listed for '16 & home vs. Richmond in '17. Does the Fordham series overlap or follow our series?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 16th, 2015, 11:11 PM
Future conference games? ;)

citdog
September 16th, 2015, 11:45 PM
Good leagues seek easy wins from inferior ones in their area all the time.

Fordham
September 17th, 2015, 12:51 AM
I disagree citdog, I wouldn't call Richmond an easy win at all

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2015, 12:52 AM
Good leagues seek easy wins from inferior ones in their area all the time.

I guess so.

http://www.goccusports.com/allaccess/index.html?media=462438

http://www.csusports.com/sports/fball/2014-15/releases/20140920e0weil

citdog
September 17th, 2015, 01:47 AM
I guess so.

http://www.goccusports.com/allaccess/index.html?media=462438

http://www.csusports.com/sports/fball/2014-15/releases/20140920e0weil

Those were fine examples of what a tough OOC schedule looks like. I hear Davidson would be interested in the patsy league.

Sader87
September 17th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Davidson was actually an original membah of the Patriot League, dropped out after a few years.

I could see Richmond joining the PL (for football) in the next reshuffle of leagues/divisions.

Sitting Bull
September 17th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Davidson was actually an original membah of the Patriot League, dropped out after a few years.

I could see Richmond joining the PL (for football) in the next reshuffle of leagues/divisions.

Not exactly.

The original Colonial League, as it was dubbed then, was HC, Colgate, Bucknell, Lafayette, Lehigh and W&M. Believe that was announced 1982 or 1983.

W&M pulled out before the conference actually started playing due to the restrictions that were added after the formation of the league (no scholarships, no playoffs) and the lobbying from UR and JMU to work closer to home on a more regional conference (eventually CAA).

When W&M pulled out, Davidson was added as a replacement.

W&M maintained a steady number of games against the schools throughout the 80s, most with Lehigh and Colgate and still keeps one OOC game most years against an Ivy or Patriot team.

As long as the CAA remains, and I don't see much movement from here out, I don't think there will be any movement from the teams in it. Should a major shakeup of some kind have any impact on the CAA, I would have no problem seeing W&M, UR, Villanova and VMI move together into the Patriot. I think it would take all of them to shift to interest W&M.

bostonspider
September 17th, 2015, 09:03 AM
I agree on the CAA three sticking together. But I think I would rather Furman/Wofford than VMI...

KPSUL
September 17th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Excited to hear that as well! Love seeing PL teams schedule solid out of conference games. Man, Richmond is far away from New York though! Car's gonna get a lot of miles

U of Richmond is a great place to go for a game now that they have a new FB Stadium on campus. Nice right-sized stadium, Beautiful campus, good people.

citdog
September 17th, 2015, 10:48 AM
I agree on the CAA three sticking together. But I think I would rather Furman/Wofford than VMI...

I'd rather the South be free and independent. Don't think either of us is getting our wishes. If you spiders want to be confederated with teams who you have more in common with than geography y'all should come home to the Socon and bring William and Mary with you.

bostonspider
September 17th, 2015, 10:53 AM
As a graduate of UR, I would say we have more in common with Georgetown, Colgate, Bucknell, Lafayette and Lehigh today than we do with the Citadel or VMI.. The University of Richmond is just not really a southern school anymore. Not even sure how much we have in common with Furman and Wofford. I would guess Elon is closer demographically to UR.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2015, 10:54 AM
I'd rather the South be free and independent. Don't think either of us is getting our wishes. If you spiders want to be confederated with teams who you have more in common with than geography y'all should come home to the Socon and bring William and Mary with you.

But why would they want to degrade football like that?

citdog
September 17th, 2015, 10:54 AM
As a graduate of UR, I would say we have more in common with Georgetown, Colgate, Bucknell, Lafayette and Lehigh today than we do with the Citadel or VMI.. The University of Richmond is just not really a southern school anymore. Not even sure how much we have in common with Furman and Wofford. I would guess Elon is closer demographically to UR.

So you are now full of invading yankee scum. Got it.

citdog
September 17th, 2015, 10:55 AM
But why would they want to degrade football like that?

i agree. moving to the patsy league would be just a smidge better than the pioneer or the nec.

carney2
September 17th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Future conference games? ;)

Oh, you muck stirring rascal, you. Of the big 3 mentioned most frequently as future PL members, Richmond would be the last one through the door after that disastrous false start earlier this century. It should be pointed out however, that Richmond is currently an associate member of the League in women's golf. It ain't football, but it's a start.

Sader87
September 17th, 2015, 05:57 PM
Not exactly.

The original Colonial League, as it was dubbed then, was HC, Colgate, Bucknell, Lafayette, Lehigh and W&M. Believe that was announced 1982 or 1983.

W&M pulled out before the conference actually started playing due to the restrictions that were added after the formation of the league (no scholarships, no playoffs) and the lobbying from UR and JMU to work closer to home on a more regional conference (eventually CAA).

When W&M pulled out, Davidson was added as a replacement.

W&M maintained a steady number of games against the schools throughout the 80s, most with Lehigh and Colgate and still keeps one OOC game most years against an Ivy or Patriot team.

As long as the CAA remains, and I don't see much movement from here out, I don't think there will be any movement from the teams in it. Should a major shakeup of some kind have any impact on the CAA, I would have no problem seeing W&M, UR, Villanova and VMI move together into the Patriot. I think it would take all of them to shift to interest W&M.

Davidson was a membah of the PL nee Colonial league....as Casey Stengel once said: "You can look it up...."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_League

They nevah played HC during their time in the CL/PL though....

ETA: Rereading your post Sitting Bull, I missed initially how you said Davidson replaced W&M...as Rick Perry said: "Oooops"

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 17th, 2015, 09:06 PM
I'm not saying that I agree with it but I don't think it's mere coincidence that UR is looking to put more PL teams on the schedule.

I think UR likes where it currently is with football but all bets are off if JMU takes a hike. Fortunately, I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

I did not hear if the Gate and Fordham gamed overlapped seasons. If we are playing Gate in 16 and 17, I would assume we have Fordham in 18 and 19.

Gater
September 17th, 2015, 10:18 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21349&stc=1
Here are Colgate's schedules for the next two years. Two games with Richmond, plus Furman, Buffalo, and Syracuse (in addition to historical rival Cornell and Yale). Don't know what happened to the two games with Bryant but Colgate now has open dates in September.

ngineer
September 18th, 2015, 12:00 AM
Davidson was actually an original membah of the Patriot League, dropped out after one year.

Fixed for ya. They found out real quick they did not belong.

ngineer
September 18th, 2015, 12:03 AM

UR is one of the few schools on the PL's radar as a future member. I recall there was some casual conversation between UR and the PL a few years back that went nowhere, but in five years, who knows?

PAllen
September 18th, 2015, 07:37 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21349&stc=1
Here are Colgate's schedules for the next two years. Two games with Richmond, plus Furman, Buffalo, and Syracuse (in addition to historical rival Cornell and Yale). Don't know what happened to the two games with Bryant but Colgate now has open dates in September.

Ahh Colgate, scheduling like I wish Lehigh did. Exchange Cornell and Yale for Princeton and Penn and you've got a perfect schedule for LU IMHO.

ngineer
September 18th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Ahh Colgate, scheduling like I wish Lehigh did. Exchange Cornell and Yale for Princeton and Penn and you've got a perfect schedule for LU IMHO.

We had Yale last year and this year. Cornell last year. I like having Penn back on the schedule. Local ties and natural rivalry. Same as Princeton.

Go...gate
September 18th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Fixed for ya. They found out real quick they did not belong.

I remember Davidson played two games against the PL in '86, I believe three in '87 and played a full league schedule (sans Holy Cross) in '88. Thereafter, Davidson left.

I remember seeing DC play at Colgate in a snowstorm in 1988. Colgate won 21-0.

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2015, 08:06 PM
Pards had a good series with Richmond in 04-05. We swept! Won a bizarre game in 2004 and then 7-0 the next year. Best Pard defensive effort of the decade. Held Stacy Tutt in check though he didn't take many snaps.

Ramblin' Man
September 19th, 2015, 10:32 PM
We are playing at Charlotte and at Richmond in 2018. Fordham has not yet released the 2019 schedule, though my guess is that we will play both schools at Rose Hill that year.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 19th, 2015, 10:35 PM
We are playing at Charlotte and at Richmond in 2018. Fordham has not yet released the 2019 schedule, though my guess is that we will play both schools at Rose Hill that year.

Charlotte is a FBS program. They won't be making a trip to the Bronx.....

Ramblin' Man
September 19th, 2015, 11:04 PM
Charlotte is a FBS program. They won't be making a trip to the Bronx.....
You are correct. My mistake.