PDA

View Full Version : Northern Iowa #10 @ Cal Poly #9

Pages : 1 [2]

Winindy
September 19th, 2015, 11:43 PM
I can't listen to Barry Tompkins smack his lips anymore...

Panther-State
September 19th, 2015, 11:44 PM
That's 2 missed fumbles. Last one led to a TD for Cal Poly. Let's see about this time.

Holy holding Batman, throw the flag

dudeitsaid
September 19th, 2015, 11:44 PM
They need to review that.

Looked like the ball was on the deck in bounds to me.

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 11:45 PM
HA.

Garcia is a victim of his own ****ty turf.

Panther-State
September 19th, 2015, 11:46 PM
I'm starting to understand why Cal Poly runs the ball so much. Yikes.

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 11:47 PM
I don't like how conservative the offense is becoming

Farley is back in Davis's ear apparently

grizband
September 19th, 2015, 11:48 PM
I wish the camera people would stop zooming in so far...I'd rather see a wide view, allowing viewers to watch the play develop.

Panther-State
"Penalty against Cal Poly. Did not see a flag thrown"

[Official picks up the flag about a yard from the play]

Geez.

UNI Pike
How did Montana lose to these guys at home?

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 11:50 PM

Their loss to day makes a little more sense, doesn't it?

Also, takes a bit of the shine of Liberty's win.

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 11:51 PM
Someone help me understand who these guys are

They are wearing UNI uniforms.
Their numbers are in the 80s.
They are bigger than a WR.
They are smaller than OL.
They catch passes and don't just block

I always thought those were just third offensive tackles.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 19th, 2015, 11:52 PM

They weren't wearing UNI uniforms.

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 11:54 PM
They weren't wearing UNI uniforms.
Montana's offense is better - at least I thought it was - than UNI's

unigriff
September 19th, 2015, 11:54 PM
Their loss to day makes a little more sense, doesn't it?

Also, takes a bit of the shine of Liberty's win.

Makes NDSUs loss to UM that much funnier.

UNI Pike
September 19th, 2015, 11:55 PM
I think we are seeing the difference between teams with offensive vs defensive oriented HC. MT & ASU are both offensive geared.

unigriff
September 19th, 2015, 11:56 PM
as proven like last year...the Big Sky is a horrible conference.

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 11:56 PM
I think we are seeing the difference between teams with offensive vs defensive oriented HC. MT & ASU are both offensive geared.

Likely true.

It's why UNI has a top 10-15 defense every year...and a bottom 50 offense every year

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 11:57 PM
I believe this to be false.

Once Montana gets their offense figured out, just like UNI is trying to do, they'll be fine.
EWU, if they could ever find someone to play/run defense that has a football IQ above 3 will be fine

Let's not get too excited about UNI beating up two Big Sky defenses though. NDSU and Illinois State are going to be some real wake up calls in the next few weeks.

CappinHard
September 20th, 2015, 12:00 AM
Makes NDSUs loss to UM that much funnier.

Honestly, it makes one question the strength of NDSU this year. I know, you hate to get too extended in terms of comparing games, but I'm willing to do just that at this point.

ursus arctos horribilis
Montana's offense is better - at least I thought it was - than UNI's

They were in the first game, they haven't been good since. I don't even know if they have been middlin' since. Our offense has just went from holding the ball for a while to give the defense a chance back to what we were the last couple years. The defense plays well in spite of that but they give up some big plays and we pay for it on the scoreboard. I expect this to continue possibly for a couple more games and then I'd think they should start clicking enough to help the D. Doesn't mean we'll lose the next couple but we just ain't gonna be sharp for a bit it appears.

UNI Pike
ISU cardinals appears to have defense issues this year. EIU somehow took then to OT.

Panther-State

Umm...no. Not as good as the MVFC? Probably. Horrible? C'mon...

centennial
September 20th, 2015, 12:03 AM
Honestly, it makes one question the strength of NDSU this year. I know, you hate to get too extended in terms of comparing games, but I'm willing to do just that at this point.
Our defense is questionable. Add to that a poor d, poor play calling lead to our defeat. We will know how good we are when we play SDSU.

clenz
September 20th, 2015, 12:04 AM
They were in the first game, they haven't been good since. I don't even know if they have been middlin' since. Our offense has just went from holding the ball for a while to give the defense a chance back to what we were the last couple years. The defense plays well in spite of that but they give up some big plays and we pay for it on the scoreboard. I expect this to continue possibly for a couple more games and then I'd think they should start clicking enough to help the D. Doesn't mean we'll lose the next couple but we just ain't gonna be sharp for a bit it appears.
It's crazy to see what UNI's offense looks like tonight vs the first game of the season.

Farley is in full "Show ISUr and NDSU nothing" mode at this point, but in the first half it was crazy to see the offense actually being what we were promised.

Come next year both Montana and UNI should be full speed with their offenses, and it should be a great time.

Panther-State
September 20th, 2015, 12:04 AM
Tonight was a sellout wasn't it? Looks like most fans didn't make it past halftime

centennial
September 20th, 2015, 12:05 AM
Tonight was a sellout wasn't it? Looks like most fans didn't make it past halftime
Near sellout?

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 12:06 AM
Real late flag.

If that was a sellout they don't count all seating, it was nowhere near full at kickoff.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 20th, 2015, 12:07 AM
They mentioned that on the radio as well.

clenz
Cal Poly is bad

They should feel bad about tonight

They should feel bad about their field

CappinHard
Our defense is questionable. Add to that a poor d, poor play calling lead to our defeat. We will know how good we are when we play SDSU.

I agree, that game will be the first real test for both teams. Should be a great game!

PantherRob82
TD. Yawn. :)

UNI Pike
Near sellout?
no way

centennial
34-7 XP blocked

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 12:08 AM
Blocked XP.

Panther-State
September 20th, 2015, 12:08 AM
Real late flag.

If that was a sellout they don't count all seating, it was nowhere near full at kickoff.

Didn't get to see kickoff but a CP poster mentioned something about a full stadium earlier today and I think I saw it tweeted that there was a "reported" sellout. Obviously that's a numbers trick

clenz
September 20th, 2015, 12:09 AM
Didn't get to see kickoff but a CP poster mentioned something about a full stadium earlier today and I think I saw it tweeted that there was a "reported" sellout. Obviously that's a numbers trick
I can tell you from the shots that have been on TV all game long that place was never more than 50% full

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 12:11 AM
What is that signal where the ref points as hard as he can? Doesn't know how to signal TV timeout?

Panther-State
September 20th, 2015, 12:12 AM
Cal Poly is bad

They should feel bad about tonight

They should feel bad about their field

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21358&stc=1

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 12:15 AM
What an interception!

- - - Updated - - -

What?! PF on UNI? The Cal Poly guy was the only player I saw do anything.

clenz
Dorleant ejected for throwing a forearm after a pick.

****ing christ.

Now he missed the first half of next game.

Panther-State
Wow, that ball never hit the ground. What a catch by the receiver and a takeaway by Dexter. Unbelievable.

Did Dorleant take a swing at someone? Yes, yes he did, c'mon man, don't be stupid

PantherRob82
Is fighting even a call?

UNI Pike
September 20th, 2015, 12:18 AM
Is fighting even a call?
Is "giving him the business" a call?

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 12:19 AM
Ref down!

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 12:21 AM
Is "giving him the business" a call?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbO0RQmESHM

UNI Pike
September 20th, 2015, 12:22 AM
Best. Penalty. Ever.

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 12:23 AM
No, you're fine, keep showing the guy on the sideline. That's what we want to see.

clenz
September 20th, 2015, 12:27 AM
The TV guy just said the only people left in the stands are the band and player parents

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 12:27 AM
CP TD makes it 34-13 after the kicker hits the upright to miss the XP

Panther-State
September 20th, 2015, 12:29 AM
The TV guy just said the only people left in the stands are the band and player parents

Yeah that place is M-T. They must've just thrown a bunch of tickets to the wind and claimed they "sold" them

CappinHard
September 20th, 2015, 12:30 AM

Anyone know how much time is left?

unigriff
i wasn't saying the BSC was horrible due to UNI beating up CP....just seems like they are just a tier below the MVFC again this year.

clenz
Anyone know how much time is left?
Just over 5 minutes some how...still

unigriff
September 20th, 2015, 12:31 AM
the bill scheme is back on...conservative dive plays woooo

Panther-State
i wasn't saying the BSC was horrible due to UNI beating up CP....just seems like they are just a tier below the MVFC again this year.

That seems to be a bit different than calling them "horrible".

ursus arctos horribilis

Same guy that hits the game winner against us a couple weeks back? xlolx

Shows how wide the gap in fortunes can run from week to week.

clenz
September 20th, 2015, 12:32 AM
And Poly is burning time outs....

Jesus ****...let this game end.

I want to go to bed

CappinHard
September 20th, 2015, 12:33 AM
Just over 5 minutes some how...still

Ok, so UNI should just run out the clock... Keep the updates coming as time winds down. (yes, I have a bet on the under, it was 51)

UNI Pike
September 20th, 2015, 12:33 AM
Walsh needs to cover the spread?

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 12:34 AM
Ok, so UNI should just run out the clock... Keep the updates coming as time winds down. (yes, I have a bet on the under, it was 51)

It wasn't a bet. Oh wait, it was.

clenz
September 20th, 2015, 12:34 AM
barring a broken off run I don't think we'll see another score

at 4:30 and counting left.

CappinHard
September 20th, 2015, 12:35 AM
Same guy that hits the game winner against us a couple weeks back? xlolx

Shows how wide the gap in fortunes can run from week to week.

Speaking of missing XPs, anyone see the Texas kicker miss his to tie it at the end of the game? Brutal.

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 12:35 AM
I hope Brown doesn't get hurt since CP would be awful without him.

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 12:39 AM
Is this over yet? :)

unigriff
September 20th, 2015, 12:39 AM
That seems to be a bit different than calling them "horrible".

outside of Eastern and Montana's traditional popularity...they've had horrible scheduling, can't really beat anyone noteworthy or sustain such success after a signature win...(i.e. Montana). I like UM, MSU and NAU, just they really are struggling last few years as a conference as a whole.

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 12:40 AM
Mustangs score. No idea on time.

unigriff
September 20th, 2015, 12:41 AM
Embarassing, 0 reason they should have gotten that last TD had we not gone conservative and just got a couple first downs. Final score will look far better than how the actual game went.

UNI Pike
September 20th, 2015, 12:41 AM
1:52

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 12:45 AM
outside of Eastern and Montana's traditional popularity...they've had horrible scheduling, can't really beat anyone noteworthy or sustain such success after a signature win...(i.e. Montana). I like UM, MSU and NAU, just they really are struggling last few years as a conference as a whole.
I don't think their scheduling is bad....

Portland State- 2 FBS, won the first
Northern Arizona- SFA and FBS
North Dakota- FBS and NDSU
Cal Poly- FBS and UNI
Southern Utah- FBS and SDSU
Eastern Washington- FBS and UNI
Montana- Liberty and NDSU
Weber State- FBS and NDSU
Idaho State- 2 FBS
UC Davis- 2 FBS

CappinHard
September 20th, 2015, 12:45 AM
Mustangs score. No idea on time.

Son. Of. A. B... Good thing I put a lot more on UNI to win... Still, not happy about a garbage time TD.

unigriff
September 20th, 2015, 12:47 AM
Well last year first instance they had like 5 teams ineligible for playoffs after like week 6 because they were like the Socon and scheduled 1-2 non counters. Their quality schedule this year is playing FBS and MVFC teams :)

Panther-State
September 20th, 2015, 12:50 AM
Hard to believe CP is up to 350 yds rushing. They really haven't been impressive other than a couple big runs by Brown. UNI was definitely the more impressive offense. Cal Poly is lucky that Farley went into conservative mode for the entire 2nd half or UNI may have gotten to 600+ yds. Mustangs made this one look closer than it was with those late scores.

If this is the O and D we get for the remainder of the year then the Panthers have a real shot at being a Top 5 team in the FCS. It doesn't appear that we have a clear cut crop of teams like we maybe have had these past few years.

unigriff
September 20th, 2015, 12:50 AM
And almost everyone plays a FBS, outside of that and playing a MVFC school their non-cons aren't spectacular and the conference is top heavy. ...oh well though...onto the next week. I like the BSC...MVFC and them make the western FCS world enjoyable. I'll support them anytime over CAA and Socon :)

UNI Pike
September 20th, 2015, 12:54 AM
Defense is still ahead of the offense.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 20th, 2015, 12:59 AM

You always have made a lot of really dumb comments. It's nice to see you can keep with tradition. xlolx

Daytripper
September 20th, 2015, 01:32 AM
I am on the UNI bandwagon.....

UNI Pike
September 20th, 2015, 01:50 AM
If UNI goes 1-1 in the next two games @ Illinois state and @ NDSU, then I'm on the band wagon. 2-0, I'm driving the wagon.

clenz
September 20th, 2015, 09:02 AM
If UNI goes 1-1 in the next two games @ Illinois state and @ NDSU, then I'm on the band wagon. 2-0, I'm driving the wagon.

Sounds about right.

Color me cautiously optimistic, especially if the offense we saw in the first half sticks around

Cleets
September 20th, 2015, 10:10 AM

I'll Co-Pilot that wagon...

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 11:46 AM
You always have made a lot of really dumb comments. It's nice to see you can keep with tradition. xlolx

xoutofrepx

- - - Updated - - -

I am on the UNI bandwagon.....

No, get off. ;)

clenz
September 20th, 2015, 09:45 PM
I'm not saying Poly can't/won't have success beating UNI with the full back dive, but against a front 7 like UNI you are going to need a lot more than a full back running a dive 25 times and 10 passes.
The vaunted fullback dive was dead against UNI.

Fullback Joe Protheroe had 35 yards on 14 carries (2.5 ypc and a long of 4). Kori Garcia had 28 yards on 14 carries (2.0 ypc).

The quarterback breaking a couple big runs was their only offense. I figured UNI would do well against it, but not as well as they did.

malibudude
September 21st, 2015, 03:47 AM

Cal Poly- FBS and UNI
Idaho State- 2 FBS
UC Davis- 2 FBS

CP also had Montana away as a non-conf opponent.

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2015, 05:08 AM
CP also had Montana away as a non-conf opponent.

I didn't count any of the conference mates played as non-conf because it's too hard to figure out which ones were. :)

Gil Dobie
September 21st, 2015, 07:32 AM
Nice win Panthers xthumbsupx

uni88
September 21st, 2015, 09:16 AM
The vaunted fullback dive was dead against UNI.

Fullback Joe Protheroe had 35 yards on 14 carries (2.5 ypc and a long of 4). Kori Garcia had 28 yards on 14 carries (2.0 ypc).

The quarterback breaking a couple big runs was their only offense. I figured UNI would do well against it, but not as well as they did.
I was hoping that UNI would do well but didn't expect them to do that well. The midline option did some damage.

uni88
September 21st, 2015, 09:22 AM

Cal Poly- FBS and UNI
Idaho State- 2 FBS
UC Davis- 2 FBS
Given the circumstances, the Big Sky does a pretty good job of scheduling OOC games. There are no FCS teams north, west or south of the conference so they have to turn to the east or play FBS or DII teams. Many Southland teams don't seem to want to play them anymore so it's either MVFC teams, traveling even further, or an occasional OOC game against a conference team your not scheduled to play that year.

clenz
September 21st, 2015, 09:45 AM
Given the circumstances, the Big Sky does a pretty good job of scheduling OOC games. There are no FCS teams north, west or south of the conference so they have to turn to the east or play FBS or DII teams. Many Southland teams don't seem to want to play them anymore so it's either MVFC teams, traveling even further, or an occasional OOC game against a conference team your not scheduled to play that year.
Both the MVFC and Big Sky's days with the SLC are done now that they went to 9 conference games.

unigriff
September 21st, 2015, 10:51 AM
How bout that David Johnson guy for the Cardinals...man he's a stud. :)

BisonBacker
September 21st, 2015, 10:59 AM

Serious question that many BSC fans won't like but I do believe this has something to do with honoring the away game of a 2 game contract. Has history bitten the BSC? Many will play this down and others will bemoan that paying the buyout is honoring the contract and technically yes but it still leaves the other team with another game to fill on their schedule and sometimes on very short notice.

Professor Chaos
September 21st, 2015, 11:00 AM
You should tell Bruce Arians that since he gave "Grandpa" Johnson three times more touches. I drafted David on my fantasy team thinking he'd be the lead RB there by mid-season with as fragile as Ellington is (already proven true) and as wore down as Chris Johnson looked last year.

TheKingpin28
September 21st, 2015, 02:24 PM

Picked him in the 14th round and my entire league looked at me during draft night, and look laughed hysterically. I told them he would average between 5-10 a game since Johnson is beyond overrated and Ellington is as fragile as glass on nails. Well I already have trade orders for him now.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 21st, 2015, 04:23 PM
Serious question that many BSC fans won't like but I do believe this has something to do with honoring the away game of a 2 game contract. Has history bitten the BSC? Many will play this down and others will bemoan that paying the buyout is honoring the contract and technically yes but it still leaves the other team with another game to fill on their schedule and sometimes on very short notice.

Yes, this is the same thing the MVFC is dealing with as well.

BisonTru
September 21st, 2015, 04:54 PM
Yes, this is the same thing the MVFC is dealing with as well.

Serious question, really don't know. Who/when has a MVFC team bought out of a game?

ursus arctos horribilis
September 21st, 2015, 05:04 PM
Serious question, really don't know. Who/when has a MVFC team bought out of a game?

I don't know. If it's the explanation though it must go both ways I would think. I mean a reasonable explanation was presented but then an information bias type explanation was presented so wanted to see if the explanation holds water.

I can't remember a lot of SLC H&H's getting bought out by BSC teams can you? It is the reasoning though given by BB.

The SLC 9 game schedule is the correct answer btw. It's a pretty simple and straight forward one.

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2015, 05:55 PM
I don't know. If it's the explanation though it must go both ways I would think. I mean a reasonable explanation was presented but then an information bias type explanation was presented so wanted to see if the explanation holds water.

I can't remember a lot of SLC H&H's getting bought out by BSC teams can you? It is the reasoning though given by BB.

The SLC 9 game schedule is the correct answer btw. It's a pretty simple and straight forward one.

Montana State did it twice IIRC.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 21st, 2015, 05:57 PM
Montana State did it twice IIRC.

They did it to an SLC team? It is not the reason the SLC is not scheduling BSC and MVFC teams or in the case of Montana/McNeese getting the parties to walk away from the deal.

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2015, 08:46 PM
They did it to an SLC team? It is not the reason the SLC is not scheduling BSC and MVFC teams or in the case of Montana/McNeese getting the parties to walk away from the deal.

I agree, just saying, I think Montana State cancelled a game pretty late on a SLC team to take a FBS game.

clenz
September 21st, 2015, 08:52 PM
To be fair UNI did buy a h/h out with SUU for the 2012 season for a game against Wisconsin.

Granted UNI bought the game out something like 15 months before that game was scheduled to take place

ursus arctos horribilis
September 21st, 2015, 10:27 PM
I agree, just saying, I think Montana State cancelled a game pretty late on a SLC team to take a FBS game.

They did that to NDSU last year? Are you jsut baiting here? xlolx

They may have bowed out of an SLC game but I don't remember it off the top of my head...which is why the former argument of SLC's not scheduling BSC any longer makes zero sense. There have been many SLC/BSC game over the last few years.

SeattleBobcat
September 21st, 2015, 10:44 PM
They did that to NDSU last year? Are you jsut baiting here? xlolx

They may have bowed out of an SLC game but I don't remember it off the top of my head...which is why the former argument of SLC's not scheduling BSC any longer makes zero sense. There have been many SLC/BSC game over the last few years.

Total BS... It's part of our recruiting to try and schedule games in the Texas vicinity, since we have A LOT of recruits from Texas. The only thing that comes close would be this spring. We made a deal with Jacksonville St for a game but they took like 2 months without signing the contract, so we found another team ETennSt who signed a contract immediately. Shortly after JSU signed the contract, but it was too late.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 21st, 2015, 10:48 PM
Total BS... It's part of our recruiting to try and schedule games in the Texas vicinity, since we have A LOT of recruits from Texas. The only thing that comes close would be this spring. We made a deal with Jacksonville St for a game but they took like 2 months without signing the contract, so we found another team ETennSt who signed a contract immediately. Shortly after JSU signed the contract, but it was too late.

What is total BS?

Red & Black
September 22nd, 2015, 12:05 PM

Not that I'm aware of. EWU just had a home and home with Sam Houston in 2013-2014. There were no issues with either team honoring anything that I'm aware of.

Professor Chaos
September 22nd, 2015, 12:28 PM
If it was too late when JSU signed it that means that Montana St never signed the contract either. You can't sign a contract, send it to the other school, and then decide to reneg if they take too long to add their own Herbie Hancock. Sounds like a Mexican standoff where they were both waiting for the other to be the first to sign meaning that Montana St was just as much at fault for that contract falling through as JSU was.