PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-14

JALMOND
September 15th, 2015, 12:01 AM
Really a crazy weekend for the conference. Cal Poly continued the Big Sky's awesome showing against the Pac-12, yet the conference went winless against the FCS Missouri Valley (and looked pretty bad doing it). This year is shaping up to be really wild in the conference. This week, some start conference play, some play conference foes in non-conference games and some are still dealing with their non-conference slate. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion and all are open for discussion.

1. Cal Poly (2)---last week, lost at Pac-12 Arizona State, 35-21, this week at home against Northern Iowa (Mo Valley)---The Mustangs stood tall against the Pac-12, finally succumbing at the end. People know exactly what the Mustangs are going to do, yet they still can't stop it.

2. Montana (3)---last week, bye, this week at Liberty (Big South)---The Grizzlies took a week off to recover from their shocking loss at home and also to get ready for their long trip back east.

3. Montana State (4)---last week bye, this week at Eastern Washington---The Bobcats also took the week off, only they were preparing for a shootout much closer to home, another return trip to the Inferno.

4. Eastern Washington (1)---last week lost at Northern Iowa (Mo Valley) 38-35, this week at home against Montana State---The Eagles knew they were going to be facing a strong start this season, but did anyone think they would need a win this weekend to avoid 0-3?

5. Northern Arizona (5)---last week, beat DII New Mexico Highlands 41-5, this week at Arizona (Pac-12)---The Lumberjacks looked really good dispatching a DII. Now they try to continue the conference's good fortune against the Pac-12.

6. Portland State (8)---last week, won at Idaho State 34-14, this week bye---The Vikings will take this week off after two impressive wins to start this season with a bang. Are they still flying under the radar?

7. North Dakota (7)---last week, beat Drake (Pioneer) at home 21-18, this week at North Dakota State (Mo Valley)---The Dakotans had things in hand in the first half only to lose focus and almost lose the game. They will need a complete effort this week.

8. Idaho State (6)---last week, lost to Portland State at home 34-14, this week at Boise State (Mountain West)---Rather odd that, in a game that was made to send a statement to the conference, the Bengals completely laid an egg. And now Boise State (ugh).

9. Southern Utah (9)---last week, lost at South Dakota State (Mo Valley) 55-10, this week Northern Colorado at home---Everyone was lauding about the Thunderbirds great defense after seeing it against the FBS. Then it didn't show up at South Dakota State. Will it come back this weekend?

10. Sacramento State (10)---last week, lost at Washington (Pac-12) 49-0, this week at Weber State---Given the relative success the conference has enjoyed against the Pac-12, the Hornets defeat was rather surprising. Can they find out how to win this weekend?

11. Weber State (11)---last week, lost at North Dakota State (Mo Valley) 41-14, this week Sacramento State at home---The Wildcats will only go as far as their defense allows and last week their defense did not play. They need to come to play this weekend.

12. UC-Davis (12)---last week. lost to South Dakota (Mo Valley) at home 27-17, this week at Hawaii (Mountain West)---The Aggies are trying to use their defense to keep them in games until the offense can come around. They couldn't do it last week, and now they play FBS.

13. Northern Colorado (13)---last week, won at Houston Baptist (Southland) 34-10, this week at Southern Utah---The Bears are 2-0, mildly surprising but they really have not played anyone at the conference level. That will change this weekend.

RECAP: 1-6 bunched together, 7-8 just behind, 9-13 back a bit more.

malibudude
September 15th, 2015, 01:54 AM
Good review. PSU should be higher.

The Yo Show
September 15th, 2015, 06:48 AM
I agree with malibudude. I believe PSU should be ranked higher.

JALMOND
September 15th, 2015, 09:22 AM
We'll see how it all shakes out this weekend. The five teams ahead of PSU all have tough games so the Vikings could get a big bump, even on a bye week.

veinup
September 15th, 2015, 10:46 AM
JALMOND doesn't want to curse his team quite yet xsalutex

good writeup as usual, thanks man.

seriously though i would have PSU at #2 behind Poly right now.

tomq04
September 15th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Cal Poly gets to make another big statement this week hopefully (for them) cementing their place in #1. Montana gets to play another great FCS program, trying to show some strength. I think PSU is fine at 5/6 until they start playing some Big Sky teams, you don't get to move to #1 overnight.

dystopiamembrane
September 15th, 2015, 11:40 AM
I completely agree with Jalmond's positioning of PSU in his rankings. The true test will come soon enough as we meet programs familiar with our style.

Catbooster
September 15th, 2015, 12:45 PM
If power ranking is who is currently on a roll or looking strongest at this moment (which is what I think of with power ranking), I would probably put PSU at #2 and entertain an argument for #1. If it's more like voting in the poll - where this snapshot in time is tempered by past and anticipated future games/events I would not bump them up as high (though still higher than 6th). IMO moving up the poll is less volatile than moving in a power ranking.

veinup
September 15th, 2015, 01:10 PM
If power ranking is who is currently on a roll or looking strongest at this moment (which is what I think of with power ranking), I would probably put PSU at #2 and entertain an argument for #1. If it's more like voting in the poll - where this snapshot in time is tempered by past and anticipated future games/events I would not bump them up as high (though still higher than 6th). IMO moving up the poll is less volatile than moving in a power ranking.

my thoughts exactly.

bobcathpdevil56
September 15th, 2015, 03:11 PM
I agree, J is trying not to jinx his team before big sky conference play.

RichlandGriz
September 15th, 2015, 04:21 PM
You have Montana State way too high. They beat a High School team at home? They should be no higher than 7 or 8. After EWU stomps them they should be even lower.

Really a crazy weekend for the conference. Cal Poly continued the Big Sky's awesome showing against the Pac-12, yet the conference went winless against the FCS Missouri Valley (and looked pretty bad doing it). This year is shaping up to be really wild in the conference. This week, some start conference play, some play conference foes in non-conference games and some are still dealing with their non-conference slate. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion and all are open for discussion.

1. Cal Poly (2)---last week, lost at Pac-12 Arizona State, 35-21, this week at home against Northern Iowa (Mo Valley)---The Mustangs stood tall against the Pac-12, finally succumbing at the end. People know exactly what the Mustangs are going to do, yet they still can't stop it.

2. Montana (3)---last week, bye, this week at Liberty (Big South)---The Grizzlies took a week off to recover from their shocking loss at home and also to get ready for their long trip back east.

3. Montana State (4)---last week bye, this week at Eastern Washington---The Bobcats also took the week off, only they were preparing for a shootout much closer to home, another return trip to the Inferno.

4. Eastern Washington (1)---last week lost at Northern Iowa (Mo Valley) 38-35, this week at home against Montana State---The Eagles knew they were going to be facing a strong start this season, but did anyone think they would need a win this weekend to avoid 0-3?

5. Northern Arizona (5)---last week, beat DII New Mexico Highlands 41-5, this week at Arizona (Pac-12)---The Lumberjacks looked really good dispatching a DII. Now they try to continue the conference's good fortune against the Pac-12.

6. Portland State (8)---last week, won at Idaho State 34-14, this week bye---The Vikings will take this week off after two impressive wins to start this season with a bang. Are they still flying under the radar?

7. North Dakota (7)---last week, beat Drake (Pioneer) at home 21-18, this week at North Dakota State (Mo Valley)---The Dakotans had things in hand in the first half only to lose focus and almost lose the game. They will need a complete effort this week.

8. Idaho State (6)---last week, lost to Portland State at home 34-14, this week at Boise State (Mountain West)---Rather odd that, in a game that was made to send a statement to the conference, the Bengals completely laid an egg. And now Boise State (ugh).

9. Southern Utah (9)---last week, lost at South Dakota State (Mo Valley) 55-10, this week Northern Colorado at home---Everyone was lauding about the Thunderbirds great defense after seeing it against the FBS. Then it didn't show up at South Dakota State. Will it come back this weekend?

10. Sacramento State (10)---last week, lost at Washington (Pac-12) 49-0, this week at Weber State---Given the relative success the conference has enjoyed against the Pac-12, the Hornets defeat was rather surprising. Can they find out how to win this weekend?

11. Weber State (11)---last week, lost at North Dakota State (Mo Valley) 41-14, this week Sacramento State at home---The Wildcats will only go as far as their defense allows and last week their defense did not play. They need to come to play this weekend.

12. UC-Davis (12)---last week. lost to South Dakota (Mo Valley) at home 27-17, this week at Hawaii (Mountain West)---The Aggies are trying to use their defense to keep them in games until the offense can come around. They couldn't do it last week, and now they play FBS.

13. Northern Colorado (13)---last week, won at Houston Baptist (Southland) 34-10, this week at Southern Utah---The Bears are 2-0, mildly surprising but they really have not played anyone at the conference level. That will change this weekend.

tomq04
September 15th, 2015, 05:11 PM
You have Montana State way too high. They beat a High School team at home? They should be no higher than 7 or 8. After EWU stomps them they should be even lower.

lol 1st post?

Screamin Eagle is that you?

wapiti
September 16th, 2015, 10:37 AM
1. Cal Poly --- Off to a great start.

2. Montana --- Always seem to have a good team

3. Eastern Washington --- Even though they are 0-2. Those two losses were to good teams and they nearly beat UNI @ UNI.

4. Montana State --- MSU has not shown much yet this year. They struggled for 1.5 quarters against Ft. Lewis before stomping them. The EWU game should be an excellent game.

5. Portland State --- Off to a much better start than expected. and will remain undefeated through this weekend.

6. Northern Arizona ---Playing at #20 Arizona will be tough this week.

7. North Dakota ---They beat the former NDSU head coach, but then struggled against Drake.

8. Idaho State --- Took a beating from PSU.

9. Southern Utah --- Took a beating from SDSU

10. Sacramento State ---They are sitting as expected. 1-1. beat a Div 2 and lost to a FBS

11. Weber State --- The BBQ real first chance for a W will be this weekend.

12. UC-Davis --- Enjoy Hawaii

13. Northern Colorado --- 2-0 to start the season. Good job Bears. Another W will send you up the rankings.

catbob
September 16th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Griz fans are giving us so much crap for the Ft. Lewis game, which we won 45-14.

Griz:
2014: Central Washington 48-14
2013: OK Panhandle State 47-14
2011: Western Oregon 32-7

bobcathpdevil56
September 16th, 2015, 07:17 PM

He is an angry little Richland fella.

Welcome to the site.

dudeitsaid
September 16th, 2015, 10:45 PM
I agree, J is trying not to jinx his team before big sky conference play.

I think PSU is the number 1 team in the nation, and will win every Big Sky game easily. Then they will walk all over every playoff team with ease...xsplatx I'm trying hard to activate the jinx myself!

In all seriousness, I watched both PSU games, and I thought they looked good on both sides of the ball. I think the WSU win is an incredible accomplishment. I didn't think that ISU looked anything like the ISU of last year. They may have gotten a transfer QB, but he doesn't appear to be on the level of Arias. The Bengal offense appears to have taken a step back, and most of it was QB related from my perspective.

That being said, I think a case could be made for them being anywhere in the top of the BSC, even number 1. I'd say that currently, their resume is the most impressive.

RabidRabbit
September 17th, 2015, 08:02 AM
Based on results to date ONLY in 2015, Portland St should be #1 in FCS, more so in BSC power poll. Seeing them in 6th, show that recent full season performance is tempering most voters choice of Vikings.

RichlandGriz
September 17th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Griz fans are giving us so much crap for the Ft. Lewis game, which we won 45-14.

Griz:
2014: Central Washington 48-14
2013: OK Panhandle State 47-14
2011: Western Oregon 32-7

CATBOB: The GRIZ playing these teams (DII) were also a waste of a home game. The only difference I remember is the press didn't try to make these into real games but rather a tune up game. Neither the CATS or the GRIZ should play DII games as they don't count for the playoffs. The FT. Lewis game showed that the CAT D secondary had some real issues. Offense showed promise but running game who knows.

RichlandGriz
September 17th, 2015, 10:01 AM
He is an angry little Richland fella.

Welcome to the site.

I just call them as we see them. If that's anger to a CAT or a GRIZ tough. Fact is Ft. Steele game certainly didn't show that the CATS were a top BSC team. This game on Saturday will either show a vastly improved team or EWU will slaughter them. EWU coming off a tough lose at NIU and playing at home with not 1 but 2 great QB's and more Receivers and CUPP should have little trouble with the CATS. GRIZ on the other hand who knows what team will show up--the one that beat NDSU or the one who lost to Cal Poly. This weekend should show alot about the GRIZ, CATS and EWU.

tomq04
September 17th, 2015, 10:59 AM
I just call them as we see them. If that's anger to a CAT or a GRIZ tough. Fact is Ft. Steele game certainly didn't show that the CATS were a top BSC team. This game on Saturday will either show a vastly improved team or EWU will slaughter them. EWU coming off a tough lose at NIU and playing at home with not 1 but 2 great QB's and more Receivers and CUPP should have little trouble with the CATS. GRIZ on the other hand who knows what team will show up--the one that beat NDSU or the one who lost to Cal Poly. This weekend should show alot about the GRIZ, CATS and EWU.

Welcome to the board! I'm a Richland lad myself, however I'm mostly permanently stuck in Spokane, my family is still all in the Tri Cities.

Note that Cupp will likely be out this game, although that hasn't been announced. His injury (hip pointer?) is listed as a 2-3 week recovery time. I still think QB and receiver play will be plenty without Cupp to get points on the board. Will anyone's defense show up? I'll be at the game and I'm excited!

bobcathpdevil56
September 17th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Welcome to the board! I'm a Richland lad myself, however I'm mostly permanently stuck in Spokane, my family is still all in the Tri Cities.

Note that Cupp will likely be out this game, although that hasn't been announced. His injury (hip pointer?) is listed as a 2-3 week recovery time. I still think QB and receiver play will be plenty without Cupp to get points on the board. Will anyone's defense show up? I'll be at the game and I'm excited!

Well Cupp being out takes a little of the luster off this game. Should be fun, always a basketball score for these two teams these last few years.

tomq04
September 17th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Well Cupp being out takes a little of the luster off this game. Should be fun, always a basketball score for these two teams these last few years.

We both misspelled it...Kupp. That's embarrassing. Here is the list via our beat reporter.

Two-time All-American wide receiver Cooper Kupp caught nine passes for 159 yards and three touchdowns in the first half of the Eagles’ 38-35 loss, but suffered a hip pointer late in the second quarter and didn’t return. Kupp is listed as questionable for the 0-2 Eagles’ non-conference home game Saturday against Montana State.

-Wide receiver, Shaq Hill, is questionable with a knee injury
-Quarterback Reilly Hennessey is doubtful with an ankle injury suffered in the third quarter at UNI.
-Running back Jalen Moore (ankle) is questionable for MSU
-Safety Zach Bruce (shoulder) is probable.

The losses injuries also took away EWU’s top kickoff returner (Hill) and punt returner (Kupp), as well as the teams two holders on placekicks (Kupp and Hennessey).
The Eagles also lost offensive lineman Jerrod Jones, who had replaced Cassidy Curtis at right tackle after the latter had a foot injury in the opener at Oregon.
Jones is listed as questionable for the MSU game.

Starter and #2 right tackle gone as well.

GoAgs72
September 17th, 2015, 02:20 PM
I like Portland State at number 1 and UC Davis at number 13. The rest still need to be sorted out.

eiu1999
September 17th, 2015, 02:45 PM
UC-Davis at the bottom.

F'N Hawks
September 17th, 2015, 03:03 PM
I thought Kupp just said he was playing for sure? Did I make that up, thought I saw it on Twitter?

RichlandGriz
September 17th, 2015, 03:41 PM

Saw in the Missoula paper that CUPP in a telephone interview said he will be playing--bombs away!

I am a native of Montana--UM grad and work at Hanford live in Richland for the last 37 years. Been to a lot of EWU games over the years--this one well watch on the patio with whisky and cigars--we expect to see the Eagles fly high!

tomq04
September 20th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Now what? Psu on a bye floats to the top of the dumpster fire that is the big sky, ewu #2?!?

JALMOND
September 20th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Now what? Psu on a bye floats to the top of the dumpster fire that is the big sky, ewu #2?!?

Scary, but I really don't know. With what Northern Iowa did to Poly, EWU's 3 point road loss doesn't look so bad now. Maybe I'll switch over to the Missouri Valley. The Big Sky's best team probably would be 3rd or 4th over there.

Panther-State
September 20th, 2015, 11:18 AM
I know someone said earlier you don't become #1 overnight...but the teams ahead of PSU didn't really show a whole lot to make a case against it. EWU got a much needed win against a solid MSU team, but Montana and Cal Poly don't pass the eye test right now

RabidRabbit
September 20th, 2015, 11:36 AM

Only team with a FBS win, and a solid FCS win on the road vs a conference mate? Every other choice for top has either 2 losses or sub-par (Pioneer or less than D-I game) win. Looks like the answer should be yes.

The MVFC is very comparable. If doing a power poll of the MVFC, after 3 weeks, why wouldn't SDSU be #1? Same type argument as Portland St. However, NDSU and UNI looking solid after week 0 & 1 set-backs. Only team looking really bad in MVFC is Mo St.

JALMOND
September 20th, 2015, 11:46 AM
If I could be a homer towards Portland State, Washington State is currently 2-1, with their only loss against PSU. Wazzu beat Rutgers back east, then got by Wyoming at home this weekend. Maybe PSU is the best in the conference so far...

kalm
September 20th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Only team with a FBS win, and a solid FCS win on the road vs a conference mate? Every other choice for top has either 2 losses or sub-par (Pioneer or less than D-I game) win. Looks like the answer should be yes.

The MVFC is very comparable. If doing a power poll of the MVFC, after 3 weeks, why wouldn't SDSU be #1? Same type argument as Portland St. However, NDSU and UNI looking solid after week 0 & 1 set-backs. Only team looking really bad in MVFC is Mo St.

I have

PSU
EWU
Poly
Montana

and

SDSU
UNI
NDSU
ISUr

Catbooster
September 20th, 2015, 07:24 PM
I have

PSU
EWU
Poly
Montana

and

SDSU
UNI
NDSU
ISUr

I agree with you on the MVFC right now (only 3 weeks into the season).

I'm not quite sure what I think about the Big Sky. Not impressed with the Grizzlies or Cal-Poly's games this weekend. PSU didn't play. NAU got thrashed by Az. MSU started really bad (21-7 at the end of the first). But this was almost like their first game of the season, with just a scrimmage against Fort Lewis a few weeks earlier. After getting our asses handed to us in the first, each quarter they improved. Even though I was unhappy about losing, I felt like they are going to be ok if they continue to improve. It seemed to me they were starting to gel as the game progressed.

EWU and MSU were ranked near each other and the game ended up being close (with MSU dominating many of the stats but obviously not the most important one), so I'm not sure why some think EWU is still a top team but MSU should drop out of the conversation. It's not really that important since we're only a couple games into the season. It'll sort itself out.

Edit to add: Congrats Eagles, you earned the win this time.

tomq04
September 20th, 2015, 11:03 PM
After a day of rational thinking, and looking a the schedule, I think there is a decent chance EWU comes out on top of the big sky again, but purely due to having a relatively weak schedule with the exception of playing Montana in Missoula. We get Cal Poly and PSU in Cheney, and the other games are against bottom teams. Not certain of UM and MSU's schedule, but not sure they will keep up depending on how PSU and Cal Poly plays.

Good luck guys, whoever makes the playoffs is going to need it...

JALMOND
September 20th, 2015, 11:36 PM
After a day of rational thinking, and looking a the schedule, I think there is a decent chance EWU comes out on top of the big sky again, but purely due to having a relatively weak schedule with the exception of playing Montana in Missoula. We get Cal Poly and PSU in Cheney, and the other games are against bottom teams. Not certain of UM and MSU's schedule, but not sure they will keep up depending on how PSU and Cal Poly plays.

It would be nice this year if the final game that decides the conference title is not the Brawl of the Wild, but that Dam(n) Cup.xnodx

dudeitsaid
September 20th, 2015, 11:54 PM
It would be nice this year if the final game that decides the conference title is not the Brawl of the Wild, but that Dam(n) Cup.xnodx

LOL, that would give the trophy a lot more meaning, and maybe some fuel for future years. It'd be nice to have a real rivalry game to end that season that a couple fanbases go nuts over, like the Brawl. I will say that it seems the PSU game is almost always a tough one for EWU.

clenz
September 21st, 2015, 12:01 AM

EWU will win the conference because while they have the worst defense (though I think Poly may give them a run after watching that defese) they have the best offense and will manage to outscore others

JALMOND
September 21st, 2015, 01:23 AM
LOL, that would give the trophy a lot more meaning, and maybe some fuel for future years. It'd be nice to have a real rivalry game to end that season that a couple fanbases go nuts over, like the Brawl. I will say that it seems the PSU game is almost always a tough one for EWU.

Still a lot of football to be played. The homer in me is hoping the last game will mean a lot, the realist in me is probably similar to most around the conference, waiting to see when PSU comes crashing down to earth.

dudeitsaid
September 21st, 2015, 03:07 AM
Still a lot of football to be played. The homer in me is hoping the last game will mean a lot, the realist in me is probably similar to most around the conference, waiting to see when PSU comes crashing down to earth.

I don't know...I watched a good portion of both of their games, and PSU looks legit to me this year. Just like ISU emerged as a contender last year, I see PSU as the dark horse of the BSC this year. Hope you guys can pull it together. After all of the turmoil the program experienced over the last year, it would be good to see some success and maybe a playoff run to talk anyone off the ledge that doesn't think the Vikings should field a football team. And, of course, the better PSU is this year, the better the win when the Eagles beat you guys in November.:D