Villanova Record: 216-128-1
2009 FCS National Champion

caribbeanhen
September 13th, 2015, 10:54 AM
somehow it doesnt seem right to be talking Nova in September

Catsfan90
September 13th, 2015, 11:01 AM
somehow it doesnt seem right to be talking Nova in September
Agreed. I'm not used to this game being so early.

Ivytalk
September 13th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Delaware will be lucky to lose by two scores or less.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 13th, 2015, 11:46 AM
I have faith in our defense to hold off Villanova's offense. I don't have much faith in our offense to score on Villanova's defense. I predict a very low-scoring game. This one may be decided by a defensive TD.

melloware13
September 13th, 2015, 12:02 PM
If UD plays like they did last night, 0% chance of win (although they were significant improvements from Week 1). To give any chance, they need to break 20, and I'd start to feel comfortable if they hit 28 points or more. At least this Delaware team is prepared for playing in the small stadium :(

PantherRob82
September 13th, 2015, 12:07 PM
I think this game could be more interesting than a lot of people expect.

caribbeanhen
September 13th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Nova is overrated but that wont make a difference in this one, Hens young and talented Defense gets it's first real test of the season and I think they will be heard from, Nova will score some points but they will see a different kind of D from the Hens this year, a D that is making tackles and playing physical is a good start.

Problem is we have no passing game, None! If you stop the run we are a Dead Hen Walker err Walking, and our Offensive Line has not been very good. But as raw goes, Walker is a piece of tigercat meat, he does bring some intangibles and has shown some elusivness but I'm expecting a learning (ugly) game from the O as Nova is very solid on D....

I just hope the D can hold down Robertson and learn from this game

Watch out for #7 Ray Buck Jones on D for Delaware

caribbeanhen
September 13th, 2015, 12:32 PM
I think this game could be more interesting than a lot of people expect.

ok Pantherrob, you just might be on to something.... I left that part out of my post

PantherRob82
September 13th, 2015, 01:56 PM
ok Pantherrob, you just might be on to something.... I left that part out of my post

I just don't think Villanova has shown anything this season to demonstrate the ability to put away their rival with no issues.

Nova has won 8 of the last 9, 5 of those by 7 or less. The last two games were 1 pt and 7 pt wins, even though Delaware wasn't exactly a great team either of those years. I think Delaware would have benefitted by these game being played at the end of the season, but I don't expect the Hens to roll over.

Nova09
September 14th, 2015, 11:28 AM
This has all the not fun of a Nova-UD bball game. Early season opportunity to get some things clicking and earn a win, but the flip side is everything could go horribly wrong and it would be just devastating.

Gangtackle11
September 14th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Rivalry games even played in September are always tricky. I think the problem Delaware will have is not sustaining long drives and thus leaving their young and improving defense on the field for long period of times. Villanova is tough to run against I can see this being a close game for 3rd quarters and Villanova wearing them down in the 4th quarter.

I like Villanova 28-10 in this one with it being close until the Delaware defense becomes weary of Villanova's no-huddle spread offense.

HailSzczur
September 14th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Hopefully we can use this game to get the offense back on track. I think it's just going to be a matter of them finding their stride. If we can't really get into a groove this weekend or next Thursday, it could be a long season.

GannonFan
September 14th, 2015, 03:55 PM
This game used to be played this early in the season - wasn't until the late 90's when it got moved to the end of the year as the conference tried to put all the "rivalry" games at the end of the regular season. There used to be some fantastic games played between the two in Septembers in the late 80's and early 90's.

With that said, UD has no offense at all. None. UD's defense is tied to their very good and very senior-laden defensive line. UD does get pressure and UD does stuff the run. I think they'll cause trouble for a nova team that has its own struggles moving the ball. I think two struggling offenses will continue to sputter this weekend and keep it close as a result. I don't see UD really presenting a threat to win unless they get a defensive score or a special teams score, so I say something like 17-3 nova.

Nova09
September 14th, 2015, 04:08 PM
This game used to be played this early in the season - wasn't until the late 90's when it got moved to the end of the year as the conference tried to put all the "rivalry" games at the end of the regular season. There used to be some fantastic games played between the two in Septembers in the late 80's and early 90's.

With that said, UD has no offense at all. None. UD's defense is tied to their very good and very senior-laden defensive line. UD does get pressure and UD does stuff the run. I think they'll cause trouble for a nova team that has its own struggles moving the ball. I think two struggling offenses will continue to sputter this weekend and keep it close as a result. I don't see UD really presenting a threat to win unless they get a defensive score or a special teams score, so I say something like 17-3 nova.

Minor point, but its not moving the ball that we struggle with, it's finishing the drive in the endzone paired with a complete inability to kick fgs that prevents us from putting points on the board.

Nova09
September 14th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Is caa.tv free? Is there any sign up? Or can I just go to the site on gameday and stream with no problems?

Pard4Life
September 14th, 2015, 07:32 PM
The rule of transitive property means that Delaware's performance this year is a preview of Lafayette's vs Nova's next year... lord help us... oh wait, he's on the Nova side... never mind

melloware13
September 14th, 2015, 09:01 PM
Is caa.tv free? Is there any sign up? Or can I just go to the site on gameday and stream with no problems?
You don't have to sign up, but if you're in any region that has it on CSN, you'll be blacked out.

HailSzczur
September 14th, 2015, 09:19 PM

Buy a ticket and come to the game? Still seats available which is a surprise between it being 1) parent's weekend and 2) Delaware who usually travels well to Nova

superman7515
September 15th, 2015, 05:02 AM
Everyone has heard about the influx of people and all the dire warnings they came out with early about the traffic from the Pope's visit and such and they are avoiding the area until after it is all over. New Jersey and Philadelphia tourism officials have been saying hotel bookings and such are down in the area because everyone is afraid to come and get trapped in the gridlock, not knowing when it will occur. It shouldn't have any effect on getting to the game, but unfortunately, it doesn't sound like most people in the Tri-state area are wanting to do much travel around Philly until this is all over.

Nova09
September 15th, 2015, 07:14 AM
Buy a ticket and come to the game? Still seats available which is a surprise between it being 1) parent's weekend and 2) Delaware who usually travels well to Nova

Considering it, but got a busy Sunday so not sure I feel like making the round trip drive in one day. Maybe I'll head out Friday night.

Gangtackle11
September 15th, 2015, 08:24 AM
The rule of transitive property means that Delaware's performance this year is a preview of Lafayette's vs Nova's next year... lord help us... oh wait, he's on the Nova side... never mind

Look at the bright side. Both Robertson & Cherry will have graduated although they got a pretty good QB & LB corps waiting in the wings.

Lehigh blog reported awhile back that Villanova had scheduled them for 2016. I've heard Harvard also for Penn. Who knows as Nova is real late announcing their schedule usually. Maybe the new AD will change that.

bluehenbillk
September 15th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Nova is listed as a 20-point favorite.

As earlier stated UD has very little offensive punch, especially in the passing game - only one WR is average or better in Diante Cherry. Run game is OK but the offensive line that good things were expected from hasn't lived up to expectations. Our QB Walker is very green, very athletic, but very green.

Delaware's defense has done pretty well so far. They've got some pressure on QB's and the coverage hasn't been bad. The punter is as good as you'll see at FCS, problem is you get to see a lot of him. Placekicker looks solid so far as well - 4/4 vs Lafayette.

Nova looks good on defense so far - I saw the UConn game & was impressed with the D. Offensively they look like they're struggling - OL lost some people & the skill positions look down from last year. Robertson is still there & obviously can kill you at any time. UD will try to do well on 3rd down conversions & force VU to go on 4th - VU may have the worst kicking game in all of D-1 football. Amazing they haven't fixed that in 3 years.

Nova will beat UD, I think the amount of Delaware turnovers will dictate the margin of victory.

Anovafan
September 15th, 2015, 10:23 AM
I like the change up in scheduling this year and think it comes at a good time for Nova. No need to preach the hype. The rivalry is already there and Nova has to play well to beat a UD team that always plays Nova tough regardless of records. The computers predicted 35-21 last year and Nova won 35-28 in one of the best CAA games of the season to watch, I thought. Computers say Nova wins 33-14 this year but I don't know about that. I would probably say 24-14 Nova. The defense is awesome, almost as good as the 2009 defense. But the offense doesn't have any big play threats right now, hopefully a few will emerge as the season goes on. Fordham blitzed an astonishing 70% of the time last week. It will be interesting to see how UD plays Robertson this week.

HailSzczur
September 15th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Nova is listed as a 20-point favorite.

As earlier stated UD has very little offensive punch, especially in the passing game - only one WR is average or better in Diante Cherry. Run game is OK but the offensive line that good things were expected from hasn't lived up to expectations. Our QB Walker is very green, very athletic, but very green.

Delaware's defense has done pretty well so far. They've got some pressure on QB's and the coverage hasn't been bad. The punter is as good as you'll see at FCS, problem is you get to see a lot of him. Placekicker looks solid so far as well - 4/4 vs Lafayette.

Nova looks good on defense so far - I saw the UConn game & was impressed with the D. Offensively they look like they're struggling - OL lost some people & the skill positions look down from last year. Robertson is still there & obviously can kill you at any time. UD will try to do well on 3rd down conversions & force VU to go on 4th - VU may have the worst kicking game in all of D-1 football. Amazing they haven't fixed that in 3 years.

Nova will beat UD, I think the amount of Delaware turnovers will dictate the margin of victory.

Sounds a lot like the 2012 game

Pard4Life
September 15th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Lafayette - Villanova is apparently a done deal for 2016, 2017. Our media guide has included it and our broadcast mentioned it. Sure heresay, but we don't announce stuff until its in writing. I had heard the rumors though last year.

Pard4Life
September 15th, 2015, 11:11 AM
People are taking this Pope business too far. This City... excuse me.. this City's media can't handle it. Philly media is a bunch of B-league amateurs that are tabloid writers.

This is going to be just like a DC Innauguration. Same deal. Same security concept.

There and as was the case during the Phillies World Series parade, they were the easiest most traffic free highway drives I've ever had and parked adjacent to the security perimeter. In the case of the Phillies, I parked two blocks from the parade off Market. 95 was empty.

superman7515
September 15th, 2015, 11:18 AM
People are taking this Pope business too far. This City... excuse me.. this City's media can't handle it. Philly media is a bunch of B-league amateurs that are tabloid writers.

This is going to be just like a DC Innauguration. Same deal. Same security concept.

There and as was the case during the Phillies World Series parade, they were the easiest most traffic free highway drives I've ever had and parked adjacent to the security perimeter. In the case of the Phillies, I parked two blocks from the parade off Market. 95 was empty.

Agreed. I think the media, in their attempt to hype what a huge event it will be, has scared a lot of people off. They talked about an additional 6+ million people coming into the city, how it would be a travel apocalypse, now mentioning it will be a terrorist target, yadda yadda yadda. The city did their fair share of screwing the pooch as well, talking about how no one will be able to get a seat in a restaurant or a hotel room if you don't book it months in advance, then surprising people with needing tickets to get close his Popeness, stuff like that. I think they are going to be in for a massive disappointment when the final numbers and economic impact comes in.

MR. CHICKEN
September 15th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Agreed. I think the media, in their attempt to hype what a huge event it will be, has scared a lot of people off. They talked about an additional 6+ million people coming into the city, how it would be a travel apocalypse, now mentioning it will be a terrorist target, yadda yadda yadda. The city did their fair share of screwing the pooch as well, talking about how no one will be able to get a seat in a restaurant or a hotel room if you don't book it months in advance, then surprising people with needing tickets to get close his Popeness, stuff like that. I think they are going to be in for a massive disappointment when the final numbers and economic impact comes in.

....HOPE YER ON TARGET.....AS MAH DAUGHTER/GRAND DAUGHTER/SON-IN-LAW.......FLY BACK TA ILLINOIS....ON SUNDAY DUH 27TH....4:30ish PM...(IN TOWN FO' COUSINS' WEDDIN').....AH'VE ALREADY ORDERED 'EM...UH TOWN CAR FROM DELAWARE EXPRESS.....AS DUH CHICKEN WILL NOT CHANCE 95 ON UH SUNDAY AFTERNOON....EVEN WHIFF-OUT BIG EVENTS IN PHILLY......AWK!

melloware13
September 16th, 2015, 08:45 PM
Sounds a lot like the 2012 game
No, please no. I was on the field with the band podium for what seemed like 3 pick sixes

HailSzczur
September 16th, 2015, 10:08 PM
No, please no. I was on the field with the band podium for what seemed like 3 pick sixes

Close, but not quite. It was 3 INT with 21 points off them, but only 2 were actually pick 6's :D

melloware13
September 16th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Close, but not quite. It was 3 INT with 21 points off them, but only 2 were actually pick 6's :D
That was the only other guess I had, it quite the way to end my band career. That being said, 2013 and 2010 hurt more deeply than 2012.

caribbeanhen
September 17th, 2015, 10:46 AM
KC Keeler and Brock executed a perfect passing of the baton with the continued losing to Nova...

Gangtackle11
September 18th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Villanova Game notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2015-16/release/release_20150916aaa.pdf

Delaware Game notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2015-16/release/release_20150916aaa_dela.pdf

CAA Game notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2015-16/misc_non_event/caanotes15week3.pdf

Anovafan
September 18th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Only a few hundred seats left in the corners on the away side, so it should be a sell out. Thanks UD fans! I am looking forward to a good game.

caribbeanhen
September 18th, 2015, 05:50 PM
the lack of Delaware fans on here these days is just a microcosm of the football program.... most have moved on.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 18th, 2015, 05:55 PM
Villanova will take this one but much closer than people think.

citdog
September 18th, 2015, 07:31 PM
the lack of Delaware fans on here these days is just a microcosm of the football program.... most have moved on.

They are taking a dirt nap.

superman7515
September 18th, 2015, 08:31 PM

http://i.imgur.com/H8Kh1bR.jpg

caribbeanhen
September 19th, 2015, 10:28 AM

Ouch! But so true, to bad they dont have a pet cemetary in Newark

UNHWildcat18
September 19th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Crowd at the game looks very small. Thought it would have a better turnout

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Wow, great run for the TD.

- - - Updated - - -

Did they go for it because their kicking game is so terrible?

dwtime
September 19th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Wow, great run for the TD.

- - - Updated - - -

Did they go for it because their kicking game is so terrible?

Yeah Nova kicking is an adventure.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Delaware moving the ball decently well.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Delaware knocking on the door to take the lead.

- - - Updated - - -

Randolph walks in untouched. TD Hens.

- - - Updated - - -

10-7 Delaware

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Quite the battle. 14-13 Nova with Delaware in the red zone.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 01:36 PM
Not sure is Delaware is better than advertised, Villanova a little worse than expected, or if it's just a rivalry game. :)

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 01:38 PM
After a two point conversion, Delaware up 21-14 with 10:58 left.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 19th, 2015, 01:41 PM
I'm watching the game now. I can't believe how much the 'Nova D is struggling this year.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 19th, 2015, 01:51 PM
ohh man I hope Robertson is ok. does not look good...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 19th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Wow the frosh comes in throws a TD pass on 4th down! I couldn't believe they went for it...

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 01:54 PM
If Nova can kick an extra point we will be tied.

- - - Updated - - -

Missed it.....wow.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 19th, 2015, 01:54 PM
and 'Nova missed the XP...wow!!

UD still leads 21-20

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Why does Nova have ongoing special teams issues from season to season?

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Nova back on top. 26-21. Extra pt pending.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 19th, 2015, 02:09 PM
TD 'Nova! The back-up scrambles for it!

dwtime
September 19th, 2015, 02:28 PM
ohh man I hope Robertson is ok. does not look good...

Yeah that did not look good agreed. Nice comeback by Nova defense showed up at the end.

superman7515
September 19th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Dave Brock is UD's way of injecting the fan base with Huntington's disease.

HailSzczur
September 19th, 2015, 11:48 PM
Just got home from all the parents weekend festivities. My observations

-Delaware running attack impressed me very much. They will certainly keep them in almost every game this season. The ability to eat clock and sustain a drive is unbelievable. I think the first drive of the 2nd half was 7 minutes and ended in 45 yd FG attempt. Plus you have to love a running back with the name Thomas Jefferson.

- Clock management. What the hell was Andy doing at the end of the game? Burn all your time outs with 5 minutes to go? To make a r-fresh QB lead the GW drive with 0 timeouts? Really? I knew exactly what was going to happen, that we were going to give Delaware the ball back with too much time (3 min).

-The obvious.....Robertson. Hate to see anyone get injured, especially the star and leader of your team.

- Bednarczyk- Damn did he look good. Talk about ice having ice water in your veins. Called in to lead an offense that had been stagnant all half to 2 TDs in like 8 minutes. Robertson had his Wall Street internship this summer and wasn't with the team for summer workouts, and its obvious Zack got a ton of reps. Luckily we have Penn this week followed by a bye to get John ready or get Zack more ready.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 20th, 2015, 01:12 AM
Just got home from all the parents weekend festivities. My observations

-Delaware running attack impressed me very much. They will certainly keep them in almost every game this season. The ability to eat clock and sustain a drive is unbelievable. I think the first drive of the 2nd half was 7 minutes and ended in 45 yd FG attempt. Plus you have to love a running back with the name Thomas Jefferson.

- Clock management. What the hell was Andy doing at the end of the game? Burn all your time outs with 5 minutes to go? To make a r-fresh QB lead the GW drive with 0 timeouts? Really? I knew exactly what was going to happen, that we were going to give Delaware the ball back with too much time (3 min).

-The obvious.....Robertson. Hate to see anyone get injured, especially the star and leader of your team.

- Bednarczyk- Damn did he look good. Talk about ice having ice water in your veins. Called in to lead an offense that had been stagnant all half to 2 TDs in like 8 minutes. Robertson had his Wall Street internship this summer and wasn't with the team for summer workouts, and its obvious Zack got a ton of reps. Luckily we have Penn this week followed by a bye to get John ready or get Zack more ready.

Your backup QB was very impressive. I think we'd have done better if Robertson had stayed in.

Lehigh'98
September 20th, 2015, 06:10 AM
Ashame about Robertson. Backup looked real good though. I got to see some of this. Delaware isn't as bad as I thought when they lost to Jacksonville. Had their chances to win this one.

Gangtackle11
September 20th, 2015, 07:25 AM
I was impressed by Delaware. They are big & physical on both sides of the ball. They are going in the right direction and will be tough in the near future.

I have seen a few spring/summer practices and Bednarczyk shows the ability to be a future star. Just never know about the poise until put under fire. He passed the 1st game test yesterday with flying colors!

RootinFerDukes
September 20th, 2015, 08:36 AM
Crowd at the game looks very small. Thought it would have a better turnout

The one VU home game I went to in 2012 had realistic attendance of maybe 4-5k, despite what "reported attendance" said. Of that 4k, 1k of it was JMU fans. You should never have one quarter of the people in attendance be visiting fans.
The weather was gorgeous too.
It was the worst game day atmosphere of any of the CAA road trips I've made. I've been to all but elon and schools north of VU.

RootinFerDukes
September 21st, 2015, 09:40 AM
So i'm just now starting to watch this game and I want to see if my fellow CAA fans despise the regular CSN commentator who played OL at URI. Sorry I can't remember his name and I'm having trouble figuring it out through google who he is. His voice is grating.

He hit an all time low this week by following up a penalty flag that was picked up by saying the ref had "premature flagulation".

superman7515
September 21st, 2015, 09:42 AM
Classy.

Gangtackle11
September 21st, 2015, 09:56 AM
The one VU home game I went to in 2012 had realistic attendance of maybe 4-5k, despite what "reported attendance" said. Of that 4k, 1k of it was JMU fans. You should never have one quarter of the people in attendance be visiting fans.
It was the worst game day atmosphere of any of the CAA road trips I've made. I've been to all but elon and schools north of VU.

11779 in attendance. As good as it gets here. Team deserves better.

Anovafan
September 21st, 2015, 09:56 AM

The place was sold out and full by the end of the 1st on both sides; a typical late arriving Nova crowd, also with parents weekend, also at noon. It was a very boring game until the 4th quarter and the crowd was pretty loud and supportive, as Nova crowds go.

RootinFerDukes
September 21st, 2015, 10:01 AM
I'm now at the robertson injury. He just planted his foot to cut and fell down on his own. I hate to see that and I hope he recovers as soon as possible.

HailSzczur
September 21st, 2015, 10:03 AM
I'm now at the robertson injury. He just planted his foot to cut and fell down on his own. I hate to see that and I hope he recovers as soon as possible.

0:20 mark for those without it recorded
http://www.csnphilly.com/ncaa/john-robertson-injured-villanova-football-wildcats-win-over-delaware-blue-hens

melloware13
September 21st, 2015, 10:21 AM
I just watched the video, and it looks worse than I thought it was while at the game. I had thought it was a result of the tackle, but seeing him go down on his own makes me think it'll likely need surgery, and PCL rehab seems to be similar to ACL rehab. Hate to see it happen, and hate it even more to see it against my team.

Anovafan
September 21st, 2015, 01:53 PM
I don't have any solid info yet, but I fear we have seen his last down as a wildcat. I tried to replay it a few times and I am reasonably sure he twisted it at or near that stupid carpet that goes over the track. That would be the second starting QB it has taken out. Antwon Young blew his ACL several years ago on the same carpet running out of the tunnel.