PDA

View Full Version : What can you tell from week 1?

Mattymc727
September 4th, 2015, 11:37 AM
So, per usual after UNH's bad performances, over on the UNH fan message boards, the world is ending and the UNH football program sucks and will never be good again.....which got me thinking, how much of a reaction, or over reaction should fans get from week 1? To me, week 1 is really a preseason game, sans NDSU and Montana, most teams are getting a paycheck to lose or practicing against a lower division. For a lot of teams, its somewhat meaningless to the rest of the season (barring injuries and the things of that sort). Regardless if a team is rebuilding or not, the first game really is just a measuring stick and a basis to improve upon. While UNH sounded horrible yesterday (couldnt see it...), Im not taking much from it. Ive seen enough football to know a team can go from dreadful to world beaters in just 1 week.

How do you react to the first games? Are the intense reactions from Wildcats fans warranted or overreactions?

BisonTru
September 4th, 2015, 12:01 PM
The stat line is a little troubling. Over 700 yards allowed and less then 200 gained, and I would guess they laid off the gas pedal at some point.

Traveling across the country to play a game is tough, but I'd expect UNH to have put up a bigger fight than that.

To answer your question, I think it is fair to be concerned about the upcoming season. The world isn't ending and UNH football isn't in the dumpster, but this could be the season you guys break your playoff streak.

Missingnumber7
September 4th, 2015, 12:01 PM
I think the travel needs to be taken into consideration, as well as the time the game was played. Kick off was at 10 Eastern? Unless that was something that was worked around with practice that is something else to take into consideration. I think it should be taken with a dose of that. Its not great and there are probably areas that need to be worked on, but the sky is definately not falling.

RootinFerDukes
September 4th, 2015, 12:09 PM
You really can't get too worked up over loss to an fbs team. You're at a 22 scholarship disadvantage and a talent disadvantage.
You're statistically likely to lose any given fbs game.
Last year against umd we gave up one of our worst defensive performances in program history and the sky was falling according to most fans.
By thanksgiving, no one was complaining anymore.
When you're at or below .500 and don't make the playoffs, then you can panic.

Silenoz
September 4th, 2015, 12:17 PM
The stat line is a little troubling. Over 700 yards allowed and less then 200 gained, and I would guess they laid off the gas pedal at some point.

Wow. If that happened to us, eGriz servers would literally collapse into black holes.

Mattymc727
September 4th, 2015, 12:17 PM
This thread was meant to be from an overall perspective, not just UNH. It would seem most programs change drastically from game 1 to 10.

Mattymc727
September 4th, 2015, 12:19 PM
You really can't get too worked up over loss to an fbs team. You're at a 22 scholarship disadvantage and a talent disadvantage.
You're statistically likely to lose any given fbs game.
Last year against umd we gave up one of our worst defensive performances in program history and the sky was falling according to most fans.
By thanksgiving, no one was complaining anymore.
When you're at or below .500 and don't make the playoffs, then you can panic.

Those are good points. Id say its fair to start panicking or getting excited by week 4.

Missingnumber7
September 4th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Those are good points. Id say its fair to start panicking or getting excited by week 4.

Go look at Bisonville. The reaction is that way win or lose. Maybe a little more over the top with this loss, but I think you have to take week 1 for what it is. The first opportunity to see your team against another team. There is so much that changes from year to year with these teams that its hard to get a good grasp on whats going to happen the first time they strap it up. I think we have a pretty good picture of what we think is going to happen, I personally start to get worried if I see something happen more than 2 weeks in a row.

Grizalltheway
September 4th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Wow. If that happened to us, eGriz servers would literally collapse into black holes.

It did pretty much happen against UN_ in 2012...and that was mid-season...

BEAR
September 4th, 2015, 12:58 PM
It's the same team that we had last year! Nothing has changed! No better offense and the defense... I won't go there. Dang Conque really left a mess. xlolx

Bisonator
September 4th, 2015, 01:27 PM
So, per usual after UNH's bad performances, over on the UNH fan message boards, the world is ending and the UNH football program sucks and will never be good again.....which got me thinking, how much of a reaction, or over reaction should fans get from week 1? To me, week 1 is really a preseason game, sans NDSU and Montana, most teams are getting a paycheck to lose or practicing against a lower division. For a lot of teams, its somewhat meaningless to the rest of the season (barring injuries and the things of that sort). Regardless if a team is rebuilding or not, the first game really is just a measuring stick and a basis to improve upon. While UNH sounded horrible yesterday (couldnt see it...), Im not taking much from it. Ive seen enough football to know a team can go from dreadful to world beaters in just 1 week.

How do you react to the first games? Are the intense reactions from Wildcats fans warranted or overreactions?

I actually picked NH to win that game. It was the first game, across the country, at an FBS opponent and NH is replacing quite a bit of talent as well so a loss isn't that surprising. The manner in which NH lost is no doubt a bit disturbing. I'm sure you guys will rebound. There is good news most of Bisonville has stepped back from the ledge in less then a week. Hang in there! xlolx

RichH2
September 4th, 2015, 01:42 PM
That next week is week #2 :)

veinup
September 4th, 2015, 02:05 PM
i can tell that my team should be more interesting to watch this year than it has been in a while.

outside of that, not too much..