PDA

View Full Version : What's next for the Big South?

dgtw
September 1st, 2015, 06:36 AM
With the departure of Coastal Carolina, that leaves them with six football members, of which two are only in the league for football. Both of those teams are somewhat distant from the rest of the league. They will have ten members for Olympic sports.

So would they have any expansion options? Would the current football members look to leave?

Smitty
September 1st, 2015, 06:47 AM
Move all teams to the SoCon and to become the Big SoCon or the SoCon South.

Just kidding, everybody knows we would just keep it the SoCon...

superman7515
September 1st, 2015, 07:47 AM
With the departure of Coastal Carolina, that leaves them with six football members, of which two are READY TO LEAVE

Liberty and Monmouth want out, so they better figure out something to add some stability.

DFW HOYA
September 1st, 2015, 07:56 AM
Liberty and Monmouth want out, so they better figure out something to add some stability.

True, but it's the line from the movie "No Way Out": Let them leave--where else can they go?

Coastal got the seat on the last train to I-A, at least until the Big 12 adds two more and the musical chairs follows. Liberty is caught between perception and reality and doesn't seem to be a viable candidate anywhere. Monmouth needs the CAA to show interest when or if JMU looks upward, or maybe the Patriot if they wanted an all-sports home. (The PL already took Loyola, so they've shown to be willing to expand further down the SAT bell curve.)

There is a web site promoting Del State and Hampton as Big South expansion targets. Not sure if they'd want to do that.

SU DOG
September 1st, 2015, 08:31 AM
Seems to me that Campbell would be the target for one more football team. New Prez took over on July1, and their AD Bob Roller has built some really good facilities - including the new football stadium. They have better facilities now than some BS Schools, and are already there for all other sports. Their fan support has grown recently, and I think they are about 5-6k with enrollment. Interestingly, both Bob and the new Prez came to Campbell from Samford. Adding scholarships for football would have to be approved, but I think that chance is now pretty good. If you really look at what the school has to offer academically, and not just the location(and being a private), Campbell would actually also fit well in the SoCon IMO.

eaglesdare
September 1st, 2015, 08:58 AM
North Carolina Central is at about 9800 and is branching out from its traditional liberal arts specialty with scientific research facilities. Basketball has had NCAA and NIT appearance the last two years. The triangle area is one of the fastest growing in the country and we would bring our band to road games!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 1st, 2015, 08:59 AM
Monmouth has to be drooling over the PL right now....

superman7515
September 1st, 2015, 09:09 AM
No one drools over the PL.

DFW HOYA
September 1st, 2015, 09:24 AM
Seems to me that Campbell would be the target for one more football team.

Makes sense.

FWIW, Davidson was in the Big South (non-FB) for a brief time in the early 1990's when transitioning between the SoCon and the PFL.

Daytripper
September 1st, 2015, 09:26 AM
It may be time for the University of Kentucky to consider dropping to FCS in football. They might fit in.

BisonFan02
September 1st, 2015, 09:30 AM
"SOUTHland"...... :D

Lehigh Football Nation
September 1st, 2015, 09:30 AM

xeyebrowx

Personally I was thinking Jacksonville U. They would jump from the A-Sun in all sports, and the Big South needs an all-sports member, not just a football member.

Model Citizen
September 1st, 2015, 09:49 AM
1. Campbell. They are already a Big South member. After winning the PFL this year (and subsequently getting caught giving football scholarships) they will announce a football move for 2016.
2. Jacksonville. The Dolphins wanted the SoCon for all sports, but Mercer stole their script. They have no future in the PFL, as the athletic director has already extended his middle finger, saying that those currently getting scholarships will continue to receive them. JU will become an associate member, at the very least.
3. Stetson. It seems they follow Jacksonville like a little puppy. I can't imagine them not following JU football to the Big South. Maybe the Big South takes JU and Stetson as a Twinkie package for all sports. That would pretty much kill the Atlantic Sun, wouldn't it?

Model Citizen
September 1st, 2015, 09:52 AM
Davidson would make sense/no sense as a Big South football associate. Depends on which flavor Kool-Aid I'm drinking at the moment.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 1st, 2015, 09:52 AM
Campbell will be enough to offer stability in football, but only Jacksonville offers a full-member replacement.

Model Citizen
September 1st, 2015, 09:56 AM
Campbell will be enough to offer stability in football, but only Jacksonville offers a full-member replacement.

As I mentioned, JU is not the only possibility. Stetson would probably ride along.

BluBengal07
September 1st, 2015, 10:10 AM
might have to look into pulling from MEAC or D2. Big South is now on the Clock...

Lehigh Football Nation
September 1st, 2015, 10:24 AM
If NCAT, Del State or Hampton are serious about jumping from the MEAC, it seems like it's time to get on the phone.

walliver
September 1st, 2015, 10:33 AM
Their auto bid is now on the line. I forget the exact rules, but they need 6 teams that have been in the league for a certain number of years. The remaining all-sport football members are in a bind. Liberty is all gung-ho for FBS and all other conferences know it. GWU, PC and CSU don't have anywhere else to go. PC inquired with the SoCon when moving up and were politely told no. PC is just too close geographically to Wofford and Furman for them to add anything to the conference. I think the SoCon is happy with 9 football members, and I doubt anyone new is brought in unless someone else leaves. I don't see any BS refugees being attractive to the CAA. Kennesaw may well draw some interest once they are up and running. WCU and Chatty may want another public school in the SoCon, but I still think it would take some-one else leaving for that to happen. They are also not that far out of the OVC territory. Although my gut instinct is that KSU is eventually FBS bound.

BluBengal07
September 1st, 2015, 10:48 AM
If NCAT, Del State or Hampton are serious about jumping from the MEAC, it seems like it's time to get on the phone.

my gamble would be NCAT and NCCU as decent fits.

eaglesdare
September 1st, 2015, 10:55 AM
Big South wouldn't solve Delaware State's extensive travel problem.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 1st, 2015, 02:06 PM

Monmouth would join in a heartbeat. Games against Fordham, Lehigh and Lafayette would be a huge improvement. Basketball would also be a step-up imo. PL hoops has gotten legitimately solid since Bucknell broke through a decade ago.

Plus there's the academic affiliation....:)

Sandlapper Spike
September 1st, 2015, 03:10 PM
Davidson would make sense/no sense as a Big South football associate. Depends on which flavor Kool-Aid I'm drinking at the moment.

Davidson doesn't offer football scholarships. Wouldn't have any interest in the Big South.

jsnow84
September 1st, 2015, 03:25 PM
The BS is in trouble if they don't get a new commissioner. KK is pretty useless and has done very little to improve the status/stability of the conference. They need to get some new schools and leadership on board quickly. A merger with the SoCon, would probably help both parties.

MarkCCU
September 1st, 2015, 03:26 PM
I thought Monmouth was only in the BigSouth for a few years, anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Model Citizen
September 1st, 2015, 03:27 PM
Davidson doesn't offer football scholarships. Wouldn't have any interest in the Big South.

If the Pioneer ever allowed packaged aid, something they voted on this year--and will consider again some day--Davidson might have something to think about. I certainly think Davidson could and would ante up a bit, rather than drop football.

UNHWildcat18
September 1st, 2015, 03:29 PM
I would be happy if Monmouth joined the PL for all sports, they are at full scholarship and will never be in the CAA. Big South should just dissolve, send the southern teams to southern leagues.

aceinthehole
September 1st, 2015, 03:29 PM
Monmouth would join in a heartbeat. Games against Fordham, Lehigh and Lafayette would be a huge improvement. Basketball would also be a step-up imo. PL hoops has gotten legitimately solid since Bucknell broke through a decade ago.

I would guess the Hawks would be very happy playing Patriot League football, if the offer was extended to them. I don't know enough to estimate the impact that the AI would have on their recruiting. I also think they redshirt quite a few players each year - something they couldn't do in the PL.

Not sure what they think of the MAAC vs. PL overall when it comes to the cost to compete. It would probably be more expensive to be competitive in the PL than it does in the MAAC. Can they afford to make another move - I don't know.

superman7515
September 1st, 2015, 04:25 PM

My argument is merely with "drool". They might drool for the SEC, they might drool for the Big 10 and their gathering of academics, but there are as many AAU schools playing football in the SWAC as there are in the Patriot. It's Ivy-Lite for a reason. People might drool for the real deal, but no one drools for these...
http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2014-04/enhanced/webdr05/15/14/enhanced-buzz-5315-1397587796-19.jpg

And to be clear, they aren't drooling for the CAA either, it's just a step-up from where they are. When you're living in a trailer park in tornado alley, a townhouse looks a lot better.

clenz
September 1st, 2015, 04:37 PM
My argument is merely with "drool". They might drool for the SEC, they might drool for the Big 10 and their gathering of academics, but there are as many AAU schools playing football in the SWAC as there are in the Patriot. It's Ivy-Lite for a reason. People might drool for the real deal, but no one drools for these...
http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2014-04/enhanced/webdr05/15/14/enhanced-buzz-5315-1397587796-19.jpg

And to be clear, they aren't drooling for the CAA either, it's just a step-up from where they are. When you're living in a trailer park in tornado alley, a townhouse looks a lot better.
Falso...I've not had most of those, though I would love to try every one.

Dr Thunder and Dr Right are worth every penny

superman7515
September 1st, 2015, 04:38 PM
Falso...I've not had most of those, though I would love to try every one.

Dr Thunder and Dr Right are worth every penny

When you move out of Canada, I'll take your opinion into consideration. xlolx

walliver
September 1st, 2015, 05:17 PM
The BS is in trouble if they don't get a new commissioner. KK is pretty useless and has done very little to improve the status/stability of the conference. They need to get some new schools and leadership on board quickly. A merger with the SoCon, would probably help both parties.

How does this benefit the SoCon? With 9 football members, each team gets 4 home and 4 away conference games with 3 OOC games every year. With 10 BB members, each team gets 18 conference games a year with no divisions. Adding a lot of BS teams would create divisions in FB and BB and I suspect few SoCon fans or schools want this.

Sandlapper Spike
September 1st, 2015, 05:19 PM
Yeah, a merger doesn't do the SoCon any good; it would probably hurt the league. The SoCon is basically set right now.

Dave195
September 1st, 2015, 05:29 PM
Monmouth fits in the MAAC is all sports but football. My guess is they stay in the MAAC and look to take JMU's spot in CAA Football once their facilities are upgraded (this off-season or next). Their deal with the Big South expires the same yr CC is leaving in football (17-18).

The Patriot League is the other fit for football. CAA or PL.

superman7515
September 1st, 2015, 05:32 PM
Monmouth fits in the MAAC is all sports but football. My guess is they stay in the MAAC and look to take JMU's spot in CAA Football once their facilities are upgraded (this off-season or next). Their deal with the Big South expires the same yr CC is leaving in football (17-18).

Where is JMU going? That ship has probably sailed for a good long time.

UNHWildcat18
September 1st, 2015, 05:38 PM

Even if JMU left you guys wouldn't get a CAA invite for football. A 4,000 grandstand even if state of the art isn't going to get you an invite.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 1st, 2015, 08:16 PM
Even if JMU left you guys wouldn't get a CAA invite for football. A 4,000 grandstand even if state of the art isn't going to get you an invite.

I agree. I don't think Monmouth will ever have the facilities needed for the CAA so long as JMU, Delaware, UNH, Villanova etc are still in it....

Dane96
September 1st, 2015, 11:19 PM

I hate to keep beating a dead horse. Unless you have 8000 seats, the CAA has already stated they won't entertain Monmouth. I love Monmouth...I love the rivalry we had...and I love the recruiting area. But I do know the CAA is adamant with the capacity figure.

The College of Charleston might be announcing a football program start-up soon. If JMU leaves, and Charleston adds a program, they will replace JMU.

LUHawker
September 1st, 2015, 11:39 PM
I would be happy if Monmouth joined the PL for all sports, they are at full scholarship and will never be in the CAA. Big South should just dissolve, send the southern teams to southern leagues.

Buzz off! The PL doesn't need another mediocre member. We've already got BU, American and Loyola - oh yeah, and Lafayette. :D

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2015, 02:05 AM
True, but it's the line from the movie "No Way Out": Let them leave--where else can they go?

Coastal got the seat on the last train to I-A, at least until the Big 12 adds two more and the musical chairs follows. Liberty is caught between perception and reality and doesn't seem to be a viable candidate anywhere. Monmouth needs the CAA to show interest when or if JMU looks upward, or maybe the Patriot if they wanted an all-sports home. (The PL already took Loyola, so they've shown to be willing to expand further down the SAT bell curve.)

There is a web site promoting Del State and Hampton as Big South expansion targets. Not sure if they'd want to do that.

Not that far as far as a "full" PL member is concerned. MU is nowhere near even Loyola from an academic standpoint. I can, however, see them as a possible Associate Member for football.

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2015, 02:08 AM
Buzz off! The PL doesn't need another mediocre member. We've already got BU, American and Loyola - oh yeah, and Lafayette. :D

Hard to say that BU and American are mediocre. Loyola has work to do.

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2015, 02:16 AM

Actually, Hofstra (dumbest decision the PL has made to date turning them down in the early 1990's) and Northeastern wanted in pretty badly, Georgetown likes us a lot for football, and American and BU were very happy to come aboard. Loyola still puzzles me, but they seem to be making an effort to align themselves with the founding academic-oriented principles of the conference.

PAllen
September 2nd, 2015, 07:25 AM

Wasn't Northeastern the CAA champ not that long ago? I know that they're gone now, but you still have URI. Heck, UNH's digs weren't much better until recently.

PAllen
September 2nd, 2015, 07:28 AM
Actually, Hofstra (dumbest decision the PL has made to date turning them down in the early 1990's) and Northeastern wanted in pretty badly, Georgetown likes us a lot for football, and American and BU were very happy to come aboard. Loyola still puzzles me, but they seem to be making an effort to align themselves with the founding academic-oriented principles of the conference.

As things turned out (with them dropping fb), I'm glad that the PL didn't take Hofstra and Northeastern.

Sandlapper Spike
September 2nd, 2015, 07:54 AM
I hate to keep beating a dead horse. Unless you have 8000 seats, the CAA has already stated they won't entertain Monmouth. I love Monmouth...I love the rivalry we had...and I love the recruiting area. But I do know the CAA is adamant with the capacity figure.

The College of Charleston might be announcing a football program start-up soon. If JMU leaves, and Charleston adds a program, they will replace JMU.

I would be really surprised if the CofC started a football program. Borderline shocked.

KPSUL
September 2nd, 2015, 08:48 AM

Absolutely! Only UNH can get away less than 6000 seats in a substandard facility.

superman7515
September 2nd, 2015, 02:32 PM
Wasn't Northeastern the CAA champ not that long ago?

No. They were A10 co-champs back in 2002, but that was their only championship of any kind in 70 years of playing football.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 2nd, 2015, 02:42 PM
No. They were A10 co-champs back in 2002, but that was their only championship of any kind in 70 years of playing football.

Northeastern did receive the auto-bid though iirc. Villanova was darn good that year too with Brett Gordon. Villanova ended up beating Fordham in the quarterfinals that year after the Rams took care of the NU.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 2nd, 2015, 02:42 PM

Just to get this thread back on track, Northeastern lost to Dave Clawson's 2002 Fordham team in the first round of the FCS playoffs.

UNHWildcat18
September 2nd, 2015, 03:06 PM
Not that far as far as a "full" PL member is concerned. MU is nowhere near even Loyola from an academic standpoint. I can, however, see them as a possible Associate Member for football.

Yeah kinda forgot they were in the MAAC not the NEC now, but yeah I really just meant for football.

walliver
September 3rd, 2015, 10:28 AM
Just to get this thread back on track, Northeastern lost to Dave Clawson's 2002 Fordham team in the first round of the FCS playoffs.

If you were getting this thread back on track, your post should probably have something to say about the Big South:D

DoWe
September 3rd, 2015, 11:05 AM
If you were getting this thread back on track, your post should probably have something to say about the Big South:D

No kidding.

blackbeard
September 3rd, 2015, 11:06 AM

Of course, if its a thread on AGS that just means a PL highjack is a few minutes away

blackbeard
September 3rd, 2015, 11:08 AM
1. Campbell. They are already a Big South member. After winning the PFL this year (and subsequently getting caught giving football scholarships) they will announce a football move for 2016.

This....Campbell will be moving to scholarship ball soon.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 3rd, 2015, 11:11 AM
Of course, if its a thread on AGS that just means a PL highjack is a few minutes away

Reps for taking my post in the spirit it was intended.

PAllen
September 3rd, 2015, 11:17 AM
Of course, if its a thread on AGS that just means a PL highjack is a few minutes overdue

FYP

RichH2
September 3rd, 2015, 11:36 AM
Campbell likely best option. Monmouth not staying long. Big South a revoving door league.

Sandlapper Spike
September 3rd, 2015, 11:39 AM
This....Campbell will be moving to scholarship ball soon.

Is there any evidence that Campbell is actually seriously considering scholarship football? Just asking.

DFW HOYA
September 3rd, 2015, 11:44 AM
Is there any evidence that Campbell is actually seriously considering scholarship football? Just asking.

They only need to look at what Mercer did.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2015, 11:56 AM
http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/does-coastal-carolinas-move-affect-socon/

Interesting article hypothesizing about a SoCon/Big South merger into an east and west conference.

Cocky
September 3rd, 2015, 12:01 PM
TUNA wants to move up.

Model Citizen
September 3rd, 2015, 12:05 PM

Interesting article hypothesizing about a SoCon/Big South merger into an east and west conference.

He's making quite a reach when he assumes Monmouth and Liberty will depart the Big South without being replaced. A merger of these two conferences would mean going from two autobids to one. Raiding the PFL will make everyone happier.

OL FU
September 3rd, 2015, 12:18 PM

Honestly, that looks more like a split of the SoCon and Big South into two conferences. The exception to what I am saying is obviously Samford and Mercer being in the "west". I realize that El Cid and VMI are public but the east is basically small privates or private-likes. The west is all larger publics with the exception of Mercer and Samford. Might as well have the west see if they can grab JSU and EKU and a couple of others and just re-make all the southern conferences.xeyebrowx

OL FU
September 3rd, 2015, 12:19 PM
Also, I may be absolutely nutz ( you don't have to answer that). Even though Wofford and PC were be NAIA rivals, I don't see Furman or Wofford supporting PC and GWU mainly because of location. I don't see the Citadel supporting CSU for the same reason.

Sandlapper Spike
September 3rd, 2015, 12:58 PM
I don't get the "merger" talk at all. The chances of that happening are remote at best. There is nothing in it for the SoCon.

DoWe
September 3rd, 2015, 01:15 PM
Merger talk is silly. There is no benefit to the SoCon whatsoever.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2015, 01:23 PM
Also, I may be absolutely nutz ( you don't have to answer that). Even though Wofford and PC were be NAIA rivals, I don't see Furman or Wofford supporting PC and GWU mainly because of location. I don't see the Citadel supporting CSU for the same reason.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The South Carolina schools have seemed to be extremely adverse to continuing to expand the SoCon within the Carolinas.

I could see Kennesaw State being attractive, but that's probably about it.

walliver
September 3rd, 2015, 01:48 PM
The talk of a "merger" makes absolutely no sense. People seem to forget that the Big South was formed as a basketball-centric non-football conference and still has a lot of non-football members. The SoCon has no need for them. The recent experiment adding basketball schools didn't go over well. UNC-G makes basketball scheduling easier but is generally forgotten about in most sports.

It would be possible for certain schools to switch conferences, but the current crop of southern Big South schools don't offer much to the current SoCon.

The Big South's best bet is for West Georgia to move up and Campbell offer scholarships.

Sandlapper Spike
September 3rd, 2015, 01:50 PM
The talk of a "merger" makes absolutely no sense. People seem to forget that the Big South was formed as a basketball-centric non-football conference and still has a lot of non-football members. The SoCon has no need for them. The recent experiment adding basketball schools didn't go over well. UNC-G makes basketball scheduling easier but is generally forgotten about in most sports.

It would be possible for certain schools to switch conferences, but the current crop of southern Big South schools don't offer much to the current SoCon.

The Big South's best bet is for West Georgia to move up and Campbell offer scholarships.

It might also look at the MEAC.

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2015, 02:02 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head. The South Carolina schools have seemed to be extremely adverse to continuing to expand the SoCon within the Carolinas.

I could see Kennesaw State being attractive, but that's probably about it.

Not speaking on behalf of Mercer, but my opinion is that the folks in Macon think that The Big South is a perfect fit for Kennesaw until they join the Sun Belt in 2017.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 3rd, 2015, 02:02 PM

Or lure Jacksonville away from the A-Sun.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 3rd, 2015, 02:04 PM
Not speaking on behalf of Mercer, but my opinion is that the folks in Macon think that The Big South is a perfect fit for Kennesaw until they join the Sun Belt in 2017.

Now that the precedent has been set that the Sun Belt accepts members with stadiums inadequate for FBS attendance requirements, this makes perfect sense.

walliver
September 3rd, 2015, 02:11 PM

It is hard for me to imagine Kennesaw being happy in the Big South while Georgia State plays in the Sun Belt. I doubt GaSt would want Kennesaw in the belt, but TV-market-loving CUSA may come to the rescue.

DFW HOYA
September 3rd, 2015, 02:27 PM
Now that the precedent has been set that the Sun Belt accepts members with stadiums inadequate for FBS attendance requirements, this makes perfect sense.

To be fair, the MAC has some sub-30K sites as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_stadiums

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2015, 02:43 PM
It is hard for me to imagine Kennesaw being happy in the Big South while Georgia State plays in the Sun Belt. I doubt GaSt would want Kennesaw in the belt, but TV-market-loving CUSA may come to the rescue.

Really, GaSt is still playing football? I thought they had discontinued the sport there. Living OTP (Outside the Perimeter (of Atlanta)), I don't hear anything about them. Their FBS/Sun Belt 'reach' just doesn't travel this far, I guess.

Model Citizen
September 3rd, 2015, 02:43 PM
Does the Big South have a message board that is active with football fans?

superman7515
September 3rd, 2015, 02:50 PM
Does the Big South have a message board that is active with football fans?

Not really. They have a section on the CSNBBS boards, but no one really uses it. The only ones who were very active were Liberty (FlamesFans.com) and Coastal Carolina (CoastalFans.com).

superman7515
July 27th, 2016, 12:02 PM
https://twitter.com/DamienSordelett/status/757970537935241216

Anthony215
July 27th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Big South wouldn't solve Delaware State's extensive travel problem.

Very true if DSU wants out of the MEAC and wants to be in a conference with close travel their best bet is the NEC (NY, PA, Rhode Island & Connecticut) and they wouldn't have to shell out 60 scholarships as the NEC only requires I think 40 scholarships now.

ElonFirefighter
July 27th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Move all teams to the SoCon and to become the Big SoCon or the SoCon South.

Just kidding, everybody knows we would just keep it the SoCon...

I would go with Big Con or SoCon + (Doesn't Matter) or Sothern South

Anthony215
July 27th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Has Liberty had any more talk about moving up to FBS or moving to maybe the CAA to possibly be more attractive to the FBS conferences when they look for expansion members. They have a pretty good fan base and the FBS requirement is 15k which they far exceed at the moment. Playing JMU, Richmond, William & Mary would keep them in VA for conference games in the CAA and if they went to CUSA in FBS that would not be too bad on travel when playing the Eastern teams (Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, Middle Tennessee State, Western Kentucky).

PantherRob82
July 27th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Very true if DSU wants out of the MEAC and wants to be in a conference with close travel their best bet is the NEC (NY, PA, Rhode Island & Connecticut) and they wouldn't have to shell out 60 scholarships as the NEC only requires I think 40 scholarships now.

Interesting idea. I assume they are a poor academic fit for the NEC?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 27th, 2016, 02:46 PM
Has Liberty had any more talk about moving up to FBS or moving to maybe the CAA to possibly be more attractive to the FBS conferences when they look for expansion members. They have a pretty good fan base and the FBS requirement is 15k which they far exceed at the moment. Playing JMU, Richmond, William & Mary would keep them in VA for conference games in the CAA and if they went to CUSA in FBS that would not be too bad on travel when playing the Eastern teams (Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, Middle Tennessee State, Western Kentucky).
I think youo've mentioned the 15k requirement a couple of times now but I would not put that requirement as something they care about much...certainly not a deal breaker when you consider Coastal.

Liberty would bolt to anywhere at the drop of a hat if they were asked. They just are not wanted at this time even with all they have to offer.

SENOREIDA
July 27th, 2016, 04:47 PM
https://twitter.com/DamienSordelett/status/757970537935241216
Lol, who? Campbell finally gonna shell out money on scholarships, or is it a FCS startup?

That league is a wounded duck, and might just make Liberty bolt at the first offer.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 27th, 2016, 05:06 PM
Lol, who? Campbell finally gonna shell out money on scholarships, or is it a FCS startup?

That league is a wounded duck, and might just make Liberty bolt at the first offer.

Liberty would have bolted at first offer while CCU was there so they certainly will now, but will the offer come? They will not think twice, they will not hesitate.

btw, you haven't replied to an email sent your way so go check it.

catamount man
July 27th, 2016, 06:03 PM
I can see Campbell, Jacksonville and Stetson all step up to offer scholarships and join the Big South.

dgtw
July 27th, 2016, 07:25 PM
The Big XII expansion will be key. If the Sun Belt or CUSA is left with an odd number they will have to promote someone.

RocketMan
July 29th, 2016, 09:04 PM
Jacksonville just lost Kerwin Bell as head coach to Valdosta State because they wouldn't move to scholarship football. As a West Georgia grad, I'd love to see them move up and Valdosta State as well. That's a great rivalry, and they would be the 3rd and 4th largest schools in the Big South after Liberty and Kennesaw State. North Alabama has explored moving up as well, and would also be a great program for the Big South. Of course, the Gulf South is an amazing D2 football conference and any of those schools would leave behind some great rivalries.

KPSUL
July 29th, 2016, 10:00 PM

From purely a football standpoint, Liberty would be a good fit for the CAA. However, the CAA now has an optimal number of 12 teams. Even if they had an opening for a new team, the CAA would not want to waste the slot on a team that was using CAA membership as a stepping stone to FBS status. Also, their would likely be at least some resistance to Liberty based on some non-football issues as well.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 29th, 2016, 11:05 PM
Jacksonville just lost Kerwin Bell as head coach to Valdosta State because they wouldn't move to scholarship football. As a West Georgia grad, I'd love to see them move up and Valdosta State as well. That's a great rivalry, and they would be the 3rd and 4th largest schools in the Big South after Liberty and Kennesaw State. North Alabama has explored moving up as well, and would also be a great program for the Big South. Of course, the Gulf South is an amazing D2 football conference and any of those schools would leave behind some great rivalries.

Welcome first of all. Next I know a few years ago when the UNA thing was sort of in flux we had a couple sign up and were real sure it was close to happening. It didn't of course and I think I remember it being voted down.

dgtw
July 30th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Welcome first of all. Next I know a few years ago when the UNA thing was sort of in flux we had a couple sign up and were real sure it was close to happening. It didn't of course and I think I remember it being voted down.

I think the UNA Board of Trustees approved the move. But no FCS league would take them in. The OVC said "No" because UNA likes football more than basketball.

Corn_3024
July 30th, 2016, 08:11 AM

Welcome and good to see another Kennesaw State fan here. I would imagine whatever this "expansion" entails will be key in Kennesaw's long term plans with the conference.

hebmskebm
July 30th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Have to think Campbell would be a part of football expansion, since they're already a part of the conference in all other sports. Good facilities too.

rokamortis
July 30th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Another option people don't seem to be considering, the Big South may become a scholarship optional / low scholarship / no scholarship league.

Model Citizen
July 30th, 2016, 05:28 PM
Another option people don't seem to be considering, the Big South may become a scholarship optional / low scholarship / no scholarship league.

That's going to be the PFL's niche. Eventually. I hope.
Maybe the Pioneer won't have a monopoly on that model.

JSUSoutherner
July 30th, 2016, 07:44 PM
I think the UNA Board of Trustees approved the move. But no FCS league would take them in. The OVC said "No" because UNA likes football more than basketball.

Yeah we have to keep up the image that our conference is only "good" at one sport.

jsnow84
July 30th, 2016, 08:33 PM

Delusional. xcoolx

rokamortis
July 30th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Delusional. xcoolx

I guess the presidents and ADs of Big South schools that have floated the idea to lower the scholarship limit are delusional as well. There are at least a couple of schools struggling to fund FCS scholarship programs.

The suggestions to add Campbell, Stetson, Jacksonville are all legitimate ... just not necessarily that they will be providing scholarships.

Model Citizen
July 30th, 2016, 10:11 PM
There are at least a couple of schools struggling to fund FCS scholarship programs.

Which schools are they?

Go...gate
July 31st, 2016, 12:48 AM

The Patriot League has survived with this model. Georgetown does not offer any scholarships and I do not believe Bucknell gives the full allotment of sixty. I believe all other members are now at sixty.

smilo
July 31st, 2016, 12:33 PM
The Patriot League has survived with this model. Georgetown does not offer any scholarships and I do not believe Bucknell gives the full allotment of sixty. I believe all other members are now at sixty.

Is survival the goal? I don't like the model. Having the same doormat year after year is incredibly boring. If the 50-50 chance that JMU leaves the CAA comes true, we should send URI packing with them - to the NEC. If they don't want to play with us, they can play with their peers. Then we can take 2 Big South teams (Chuck South? and Monmouth) and the rest could head to the SoCon (except Liberty who will do whatever they please), so we can actually have serious conferences. Won't happen. But at least the URI part should.

If Jacksonville/Stetson/Campbell don't want to be play with full scholarships, they can play in a conference that doesn't offer scholarships.

(For the record, I'd really like Georgetown to start soon)

rokamortis
July 31st, 2016, 02:02 PM
Which schools are they?

The full members not named Liberty.

Sandlapper Spike
July 31st, 2016, 03:08 PM
Is survival the goal? I don't like the model. Having the same doormat year after year is incredibly boring. If the 50-50 chance that JMU leaves the CAA comes true, we should send URI packing with them - to the NEC. If they don't want to play with us, they can play with their peers. Then we can take 2 Big South teams (Chuck South? and Monmouth) and the rest could head to the SoCon (except Liberty who will do whatever they please), so we can actually have serious conferences. Won't happen. But at least the URI part should.

If Jacksonville/Stetson/Campbell don't want to be play with full scholarships, they can play in a conference that doesn't offer scholarships.

(For the record, I'd really like Georgetown to start soon)

Except that the SoCon wouldn't be interested.