PDA

View Full Version : Why Georgetown Must Recruit Nationally

DFW HOYA
August 30th, 2015, 06:35 PM
The head coach is right on target, even if it's a tacit admission that recruiting in the Northeast isn't working anymore.

Can we beat a lot of the scholarships in the Northeast at times for those who would pay $60,000 to go here versus nothing to go to Lehigh, Colgate, and Lafayette? No,” Sgarlata says. “That’s why we’re in Florida, Texas, Georgia, Nevada, Washington, and Louisiana. I need to get 16 to 20 kids next year. If I can’t do that with nine coaches recruiting nationally with Georgetown’s brand and find kids of the same caliber that everybody else is getting in the Northeast, then we have a problem.”

http://georgetownvoice.com/2015/08/30/laying-the-foundation-how-georgetown-football-seeks-to-build-a-winning-culture/

Go...gate
August 30th, 2015, 07:04 PM
The head coach is right on target, even if it's a tacit admission that recruiting in the Northeast isn't working anymore.

Can we beat a lot of the scholarships in the Northeast at times for those who would pay $60,000 to go here versus nothing to go to Lehigh, Colgate, and Lafayette? No,” Sgarlata says. “That’s why we’re in Florida, Texas, Georgia, Nevada, Washington, and Louisiana. I need to get 16 to 20 kids next year. If I can’t do that with nine coaches recruiting nationally with Georgetown’s brand and find kids of the same caliber that everybody else is getting in the Northeast, then we have a problem.”

http://georgetownvoice.com/2015/08/30/laying-the-foundation-how-georgetown-football-seeks-to-build-a-winning-culture/

The entire PL recruits nationally now.

Model Citizen
August 30th, 2015, 07:32 PM
The coach is indeed on target. That's why the Hoyas should be in a coast-to-coast AQ league where they *might not* be picked to finish last every year.

All that needs to happen is for a league fitting that description to make an itsy bitsy rule change regarding financial aid. The Eclectic Eleven gave it a vote a couple of weeks ago. There will another vote someday...after members start complying with the current rules (a switch now would legitimize the evil doers' head start to Athletic Aid Nirvana).

Also, said league needs to shoo away a few fb programs that will inevitably be drawn into their schools' all-sports conferences. Morehead State's AD recently discussed the possibility of his school's departure on live radio. Hallelujah.

Resistence is futile, DFW.

DFW HOYA
August 30th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Twenty years ago, 42 Georgetown players on the 1995 roster hailed from either New York or New Jersey. In the 2015, recruiting class: a total of just one player from New York, none from New Jersey.

RichH2
August 30th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Twenty years ago, 42 Georgetown players on the 1995 roster hailed from either New York or New Jersey. In the 2015, recruiting class: a total of just one player from New York, none from New Jersey.

Compared to 20 yrs ago,the competition for recruits that can qualfy is much muc more intense. NEC,PL,CAA,IL all giving substantial aid . Not to mention recruiters from out of the NE. All of us have to recruit nationally. With merit aid ,we can recruit the NE more successfully than Hoyas. Your talent pool is certainly the smallest of any other NE team.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 30th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Some hail from Hawai'i, Japan, and Africa.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2015/08/know-your-2015-opponents-georgetown.html

DFW HOYA
August 30th, 2015, 10:04 PM
I don't mind recruiting nationally (after all, a meager 3% of Georgetown students are local kids), but in football, as in politics, it's about being local. An assistant coach who can catch a Friday night game at Parkland or Emmaus or Saucon Valley can judge a recruit a little different than via YouTube clips. Sometimes the first face to face contact might be at a recruiting weekend if you live in Nevada or Oklahoma, where the coaches aren't traveling to.

Another quote from Sgarlata is important. "I knew the score when I took this job. I don’t waste my time thinking about scholarships. The Patriot League is where we should be." That's an encouraging quote for those who want a stable PL, but the problem for Sgarlata is that he's not going to recruit CAA-level talent (which is what the PL is moving to) with an Ivy level AI and an NEC budget.

One of three things has to change:

1. Absent scholarships, Georgetown needs to develop a fully funded Ivy recruiting and admissions plan, along the lines of the "10% rule";
2. Absent admissions changes, go heavy on two-sport kids whose scholarships would be paid for elsewhere at the school, or
3. Absent support from other coaches, get significant PL concessions on the academic index in the absence of scholarships offered.

Go...gate
August 30th, 2015, 10:43 PM
I don't mind recruiting nationally (after all, a meager 3% of Georgetown students are local kids), but in football, as in politics, it's about being local. An assistant coach who can catch a Friday night game at Parkland or Emmaus or Saucon Valley can judge a recruit a little different than via YouTube clips. Sometimes the first face to face contact might be at a recruiting weekend if you live in Nevada or Oklahoma, where the coaches aren't traveling to.

Another quote from Sgarlata is important. "I knew the score when I took this job. I don’t waste my time thinking about scholarships. The Patriot League is where we should be." That's an encouraging quote for those who want a stable PL, but the problem for Sgarlata is that he's not going to recruit CAA-level talent (which is what the PL is moving to) with an Ivy level AI and an NEC budget.

One of three things has to change:

1. Absent scholarships, Georgetown needs to develop a fully funded Ivy recruiting and admissions plan, along the lines of the "10% rule";
2. Absent admissions changes, go heavy on two-sport kids whose scholarships would be paid for elsewhere at the school, or
3. Absent support from other coaches, get significant PL concessions on the academic index in the absence of scholarships offered.

IMO, somebody at GU needs to bite the bullet and (1) get the MSF funded and finished; (2) fish or cut bait on the aid issue. I want you guys in the conference as much as anyone (I have family members and friends who are GU alumni dating back many years), but somewhere along the line GU's administration (as opposed to its coach and players) has to take its football program seriously from both a facility and funding standpoint.

2ram
August 31st, 2015, 01:55 PM
howard schnellenberger drew the line around south florida, and made it the hurricanes mission to dominate recruiting locally. the rest is history.

g'town can recruit nationally, but so does everyone else.

crusader11
August 31st, 2015, 02:13 PM
Wasn't this basically the party line with Kevin Kelly?

CFBfan
August 31st, 2015, 02:31 PM
Wasn't this basically the party line with Kevin Kelly?

what dfw did not state is that sgarlata is going into neighborhoods where kids will typically qualify financial aid PERIOD no school/no scholly issues just plain old needs blind financial aid

LC1142
August 31st, 2015, 04:30 PM

Then he has a problem. Going to be tough to sell that. And Gate is correct, the whole PL recruits nationally. The days of just recruiting silver spoon boys from Northeast prep schools are over. The doors are open, as long as you have the grades.

Sader87
August 31st, 2015, 05:05 PM
Holy Cross has almost always recruited nationally.....back in the heyday of the 30s, 40s and 50s there was always a solid NE/Mass core but that was usually sprinkled in with mostly Midwest kids from Ohio, Illinois, Michigan et. al. The good HC teams of the 1980s had kids from all ovah the country (Texas, California, Florida, Virginia as well as those Midwestern kids), again though with a solid core of Northeast kids.

One advantage HC had for most of the 1970s and 1980s was that it was one of only 3 (or 4 with Villanova until 1980) Catholic schools to be playing D1 football in the country.

DFW HOYA
August 31st, 2015, 07:23 PM
Of course schools recruit nationally. Even Nicholls State and Southern Utah do.

The point was that Georgetown must recruit nationally because it no longer has the regional base other schools enjoy, largely because of the lack of scholarships.

The Hoyas don't lack for prospects, but absent a break in the AI or a fresh look at the cost of parent-funded education, they are not likely to make enough progress.

PAllen
August 31st, 2015, 07:29 PM
The entire PL recruits nationally now.

This, all of D-I recruits nationally and has for some time. Is this a case of the coach defending his recruiting budget? If so, feeling the need to would be an ominous sign for the program.

PAllen
August 31st, 2015, 07:37 PM

So, when all else fails, go after another Allen Iverson. Got it.

Also, what team in the PL has assistant coaches out at HS games the night before a game?

DFW HOYA
August 31st, 2015, 07:50 PM

Iverson was a legitimate football star in high school and wanted to play at Notre Dame before his legal troubles began.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2015-05-28/allen-iverson-planned-on-playing-football-at-notre-dame-after-high-school

He also really, really wanted to play football at Georgetown when he arrived there in 1994. A few choice words from his new basketball coach told him in no uncertain terms he wasn't there to play MAAC football.

LC1142
September 1st, 2015, 09:58 AM

Also, what team in the PL has assistant coaches out at HS games the night before a game?

Lots of them do. Its just usually very close to where they play on saturday. late games offere flexibility.

LC1142
September 1st, 2015, 09:59 AM

Lots of them do. Its just usually very close to where they play on saturday. late games offere flexibility.

bison137
September 1st, 2015, 10:58 AM

Even with significant concessions, the Georgetown AI would be as high as those of other PL schools. Not even close to allowing another Alan Iverson.

DFW HOYA
September 1st, 2015, 12:18 PM
Even with significant concessions, the Georgetown AI would be as high as those of other PL schools. Not even close to allowing another Alan Iverson.

No one is asking to recruit Allen Iverson. But someone, in another thread please, may want to explain for me why a conference with no intentions of turning back to the Ivy League continues to mandate the Ivy League's archaic rules on restricting admissions for athletes. We trust Villanova, Richmond, W&M, etc. are getting kids that can compete and graduate, yet the PL fundamentally doesn't trust Georgetown and Bucknell to do the same.