PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Monmouth news

JMG1MON
November 28th, 2006, 08:07 AM
According to Tony Graham's blog (writer for the Asbury Park Press), Callahan wishes for Monmouth to become a full-blown, 63 scholarship CS program. :hurray: How we will afford it, I know not, but I am looking forward to seeing it come to fruition.
http://grahamman.blogspot.com/

Go to the comments section of MU football vs. San Diego.

Pard4Life
November 28th, 2006, 08:23 AM
According to Tony Graham's blog (writer for the Asbury Park Press), Callahan wishes for Monmouth to become a full-blown, 63 scholarship CS program. :hurray: How we will afford it, I know not, but I am looking forward to seeing it come to fruition.

Hmm.. I am surprised, yet not. This is a very big move. What does this mean for Monmouth? The NEC? Stony Brook is going to 63 and will leave the league. Albany I can see being another school with potential to go to 63. But are the others too small? i.e. Robert Morris, Sacred Heart.

Also, 'want to' and 'what we can do' are two different things.

Dane96
Hmmm...sounds like CCSU, Monmouth and Albany (of course SBU as well) are definitively making the right sound bites for a move.

From what I understand, SBU is still trying to figure out how to pay for the full 63 and the women's 63.

Albany, could not do it for about three years; most money will be sunk into the stadium. We are nearing 2.5mm of our 10mm private funding goal.

Wherever we go, I hope Monmouth and CCSU are with us; HUGE RIVALRIES ARE BUILDING between the schools.

OldFootballGuy

That's fantastic news! The CS is only made stronger by teams stepping up and committing to playing at the full scholarship level.

DFW HOYA
November 28th, 2006, 08:33 AM
That's fantastic news! The CS is only made stronger by teams stepping up and committing to playing at the full scholarship level.

You can still "step up" and have a commitment without 63 scholarships. Schools that are spending $2-3 million a year w/o scholarships are evidence of this.

OldFootballGuy
November 28th, 2006, 08:51 AM
You can still "step up" and have a commitment without 63 scholarships. Schools that are spending $2-3 million a year w/o scholarships are evidence of this.

Yes, but that is just a game of semantics. Teams like Lehigh and Lafayette, which are technically non-scholarship, give out enough aid to put them very close, or equal to, 63 equivalancies. They may not be called athletic scholarships, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

Pard4Life
November 28th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Yes, but that is just a game of semantics. Teams like Lehigh and Lafayette, which are technically non-scholarship, give out enough aid to put them very close, or equal to, 63 equivalancies. They may not be called athletic scholarships, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

The Pards give over 50 equivelancies.

Quack!

65 Pard
November 28th, 2006, 10:22 AM
There are in this case two kinds of ducks.....
One kind has the academic qualifications to stand an excellent chance to graduate.....not necessarily so the other kind of duck

Pard4Life
November 28th, 2006, 10:25 AM
There are in this case two kinds of ducks.....
One kind has the academic qualifications to stand an excellent chance to graduate.....not necessarily so the other kind of duck

Good point... we graduate 90%+ of our team, just a tad above the regualr graduation rate..

Quuack! :D

DetroitFlyer
November 28th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Dayton is reported to spend $940,000 per year on football, and grants zero football scholarships.... Now, try to find out how much money Dayton spends on aid that football players receive to attend Dayton. Not football scholarships, but aid that is provided to all students.... Frankly, this is another reason why putting a price tag on being in CS is not a good thing. The accounting is not really level between leagues.... Dayton has a decent home stadium to play in, 11,000 fan Welcome Stadium, ( getting field turf in time for next season ). We also have a brand new practice field that has stands, a track, press box, and bathrooms! In the near future, we will even have an indoor practice facility! Are we "committed" to CS football? I think the answer is yes!!!!! By the way, Dayton graduates 96% of it's football players, one of the highest rates in the nation. Fellow PFL member Davidson graduates 100%, the highest in the nation!

henfan
November 28th, 2006, 11:22 AM
What about the kind of duck that cooks the numbers?

No doubt the IL and PL graduate their student athletes at rates higher than most other D-I schools. However, only the very gullable would take those ridiculously high rates at face value. Numbers are numbers.

I'm always a little skeptical about the numbers coming from any school that reports grad rates for football players higher than the general student population. There are no incentives to do so that at PL and Ivy schools, now are there? Hey, whatever keeps the old money alumni happy and the academicians from raising too many questions about the evils of competitive D-I athletics. 'Last of the Amateurs' and all that rot, ya know.

rmutv
November 28th, 2006, 02:21 PM
I don't want to be a killjoy here, but if you read the actual comments, it's just Callahan's "wish" to go to 63. It's not actually in the works. It's a goal, it's a wish, but not an actual plan.

At least, not yet.

It's definitely something to keep an eye on. Apparently there's more coming up Wednesday, so maybe JMG could update us then?

JMG1MON
November 28th, 2006, 02:53 PM
I don't want to be a killjoy here, but if you read the actual comments, it's just Callahan's "wish" to go to 63. It's not actually in the works. It's a goal, it's a wish, but not an actual plan.

At least, not yet.

It's definitely something to keep an eye on. Apparently there's more coming up Wednesday, so maybe JMG could update us then?

Thats why my original comment stated that it was Callahan's wish. I think everyone here knows that it won't happen overnight. We still have bigger things to worry about, like our new basketball arena, which I think is going to get approved next month :nod:, if not, I may actually do this :bang: .

Pard4Life
November 28th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Thats why my original comment stated that it was Callahan's wish. I think everyone here knows that it won't happen overnight. We still have bigger things to worry about, like our new basketball arena, which I think is going to get approved next month :nod:, if not, I may actually do this :bang: .

I saw the artist's rendering and drawings of the new court outside the football stadium... very nice... it kind of looks like Bucknell.

aceinthehole
November 28th, 2006, 04:25 PM
I saw the artist's rendering and drawings of the new court outside the football stadium... very nice... it kind of looks like Bucknell.

Are there any drawings of the proposed arena on the web? I'd love to see what MU has planned.

BTW - Quinnipiac is almost ready to open their new basketball/hockey facility. Its small, but looks great.

http://quinnipiacbobcats.cstv.com/genrel/032506aad.html

ucdtim17
November 28th, 2006, 04:37 PM
We've got a spot for em in the GWFC

Dane96
November 28th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Dayton is reported to spend $940,000 per year on football, and grants zero football scholarships.... Now, try to find out how much money Dayton spends on aid that football players receive to attend Dayton. Not football scholarships, but aid that is provided to all students.... Frankly, this is another reason why putting a price tag on being in CS is not a good thing. The accounting is not really level between leagues.... Dayton has a decent home stadium to play in, 11,000 fan Welcome Stadium, ( getting field turf in time for next season ). We also have a brand new practice field that has stands, a track, press box, and bathrooms! In the near future, we will even have an indoor practice facility! Are we "committed" to CS football? I think the answer is yes!!!!! By the way, Dayton graduates 96% of it's football players, one of the highest rates in the nation. Fellow PFL member Davidson graduates 100%, the highest in the nation!

So committed that your team backs out of games with NEC squads (ahem...Albany) and schedules maybe one team of note in the OOC.

WIth all that money being spent...you would think they can upgrade the schedule.

You want to compete in the CS...the rules are simple: UPGRADE THE SCHEDULE.

Unlike USD (and I dont buy it) there are plenty of Mid-West or East Coast CS upgrade games available to UD.

ANd yes...i know you rail the admins for not scheduling up...but it is still an important point.

rmutv
November 28th, 2006, 10:44 PM

Heh, I hear you about the bigger things. We don't even have adequate student parking on campus and they're adding an osteopathic medical school.

*scratches head*

New basketball arena? How old is the current and what kind of seating capacity are you guys looking at?

Go...gate
November 28th, 2006, 10:52 PM
So committed that your team backs out of games with NEC squads (ahem...Albany) and schedules maybe one team of note in the OOC.

WIth all that money being spent...you would think they can upgrade the schedule.

You want to compete in the CS...the rules are simple: UPGRADE THE SCHEDULE.
Unlike USD (and I dont buy it) there are plenty of Mid-West or East Coast CS upgrade games available to UD.

ANd yes...i know you rail the admins for not scheduling up...but it is still an important point.

I believe that Dayton will be playing Fordham for the next three years, which is a nice matchup. Albany and Colgate will also begin a series.

NFLCB2
November 28th, 2006, 11:43 PM
I would like to see some upgrades to the monmouth campus they have the worse facilities in D-1 coaches need to give those kids some vision because they get no media exposure at all

JMG1MON
November 29th, 2006, 07:58 AM
I would like to see some upgrades to the monmouth campus they have the worse facilities in D-1 coaches need to give those kids some vision because they get no media exposure at all

Sorry, you haven't been to many places then. Their facilities are far from the worse in the NEC let alone all of D-1. And what NEC team has media exposure??

I do not know of any artist renderings online. The current arena holds 2500 (I've seen them squeeze more like 2700+ in there). The new arena is supposedly doubling that to 5,000 with luxury boxes. I'm not sure how old it is.