PDA

View Full Version : Bucknell's Sean Conover Gets First NFL Start

bison137
November 27th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Rookie DE Sean Conover, Bucknell '06, started for the first time yesterday for the Titans in their upset win over the Giants. He had 2 tackles, 2 assists, and 1 crucial deflected pass late in the game. Also had another unassisted tackle that was negated by a penalty.

Conover started the year as an undersized 6'5" 262 pound DE. He's still undersized but is now up to 275. Conover is a very good athlete, who played both ways the second half of last season for the Bison, operating as an effective pass-catching tight end as well as a DE.

Pard4Life
November 27th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Rookie DE Sean Conover, Bucknell '06, started for the first time yesterday for the Titans in their upset win over the Giants. He had 2 tackles, 2 assists, and 1 crucial deflected pass late in the game. Also had another unassisted tackle that was negated by a penalty.

Conover started the year as an undersized 6'5" 262 pound DE. He's still undersized but is now up to 275. Conover is a very good athlete, who played both ways the second half of last season for the Bison, operating as an effective pass-catching tight end as well as a DE.

Really!

All right Bucknell! All right Patriot League!

PenguinPride23
November 27th, 2006, 04:01 PM
sweet. Although I fail to see how 6'5" 275 is "undersized" at the pro level for a 4-3 DE.

ngineer
November 27th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Conover was a real force at Bucknell. He didn't get enough ink IMO because he wound up playing both ways when the Bison were devasted by injuries two years ago. Way to go!:thumbsup:

LeopardFan04
November 28th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Way to go Bison...

Baldy
November 28th, 2006, 08:26 AM
To stay with the Titans/I-AA theme. The kicker who made the winning FG played at Georgia Southern. :D

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/eb6e2ce9-d03b-4a31-84ee-2bb4cc8c3375.jpg

bison137
November 28th, 2006, 12:15 PM
sweet. Although I fail to see how 6'5" 275 is "undersized" at the pro level for a 4-3 DE.

Yeah, you're probably right. Looking at the NFL rosters, 275 is about average in a 4-3. The two teams I follow closely both use a 3-4 and I'm used to heavier DE's.

bison137
November 28th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Conover was a real force at Bucknell. He didn't get enough ink IMO because he wound up playing both ways when the Bison were devasted by injuries two years ago. Way to go!:thumbsup:

I think the first game he played at TE was against you guys in 2005. The following week vs Lafayette he caught four passes for about 70 yards and caught the go-ahead TD with about 4 minutes left. Unfortunately the Pards came back to score in the final 1:45 to beat us. His pass catching was in addition to playing every play at DE.

What was more amazing in terms of two-way players was the performance of the Bison's Dante Ross in the same season. Following injuries to three QB's, he was converted to a starting QB while continuing to play CB and run back punts and run back kickoffs. He also punted in a couple of games. Against Marist, he rushed for 271 yards, completed a pass, made 5 tackles, intercepted a pass, knocked down a pass, and returned both punts and kickoffs.