PDA

View Full Version : UNI capitol investment (RE: $25m Dome renovation and some)

clenz
August 10th, 2015, 09:02 AM
I meant to post this yesterday when I saw it pop up on my Twitter but didn't get to it

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/education/upgrades-to-uni-sports-facilities-in-the-works/article_179ea5a7-8895-5a38-b9cc-e3085f915f0d.html

CEDAR FALLS | If everything goes according to plan, the next 10 years will see significant upgrades in the University of Northern Iowa's athletic facilities.
From meeting space and new turf in the UNI-Dome to an on-campus soccer field, a basketball practice facility and renovation of the Dome, it's an ambitious agenda but one the university's administration considers vital for the future as it analyzes everything from the competitive landscape and game-day comfort of its fans to new ways to generate revenue.
"We don't have to have the best of anything, but we need to continue to be competitive," said Troy Dannen, UNI's director of athletics.
Four projects are on UNI's five-year capital improvement plan with an estimated total cost of around $17 million -- a $200,000 football operations center, the UNI-Dome turf (approximately $1 million), a soccer field (approximately $1 million) and the Panther Performance Center (approximately $15 million) that would primarily serve as a basketball practice facility.

Football Operations Center
Essentially, this project is a meeting area for large groups like the football team and the athletic department staff. It will be located in the south end zone area of the Dome.
"Simply put, it's a 115-seat auditorium for football," explained Dannen. "We don't have in any of our facilities a place where the entire football team can meet together.
"It won't be a game-day suite, but there will be game-day activities in it."
Like most facilities at UNI, the Football Operations Center will serve other purposes as well.
"Inter-departmentally, we also have a lot of call to have our own staff meet in one room, and we really don't have a space for that," noted Dannen.
Funding for the Football Operations Center has been secured, and construction is expected to begin shortly after the football season ends.

UNI-Dome turf
The existing turf in the Dome has reached its life expectancy of seven years. UNI is looking into other options that will last longer and provide more flexibility in usage.
"We probably need to get away from a rolling turf system, just from the fact that it doesn't survive the expansion and contraction and temperature differences in here very well, and every time you roll it you take a little bit of its life away," said Dannen. He added the machinery required to roll turf is becoming harder to find and costly to replace.
"In some other domed stadiums, tray systems are popular. We would have storage issues with that, but it would give us more flexibility. If we get that figured out, that would probably be the ideal system for us."

Soccer field
UNI currently plays its women's soccer games at the Cedar Valley Soccer Complex. The Panthers, and Dannen, would prefer to be on-campus. And again, a turf surface on campus would serve multiple uses for the university and for athletics.
"That, I'd say, is something we will get done within the next five years, if not sooner than that," said Dannen.
"Another thing that would do is give us an outdoor practice field for football with a turf surface. It gives the band a place to practice. It gives rec a place to do some things they can't do now when the ground freezes.
"That's probably a $1 million project because I would like to have it lit."

Panther Performance Center
Dannen is waiting for the results of a feasibility study and preliminary drawings for this new facility.
"The timing of something like that is really contingent on our ability to raise the funds," he noted. "We've been able to raise funds for a lot of things ... scholarships, salaries, capital projects we've done here (the UNI-Dome) ... but since the McLeod Center was built and before that it was a long, long time before we really had a capital piece in athletics that we went out to our donars with.
"It would have dedicated basketball courts and basketball offices," Dannen explained. "It also includes an academic area for all student-athletes and includes some of the things we're seeing as athletics are evolving, like food availability.
"It would have food service in there or the capability to have food service ... refueling stations at a minimum and full means at a maximum.
"I can envision a couple of batting cages in there, too, for softball, so they don't have to drive all over town looking for a place to hit."
The preliminary vision for the Panther Performance Center also includes a space for large events.
"It would also have open space where we could host events for up to 400 or 500 people," said Dannen. "There are really only two places in town where you can hold an event that large, and they're booked. It's a long-term way to generate additional revenue. It's a need the university has, as well, for a larger common space."
Indirectly, the Panther Performance Center would also make the McLeod Center more available for special events and shows that would serve as another source of revenue.

UNI-Dome renovation
The fifth and final piece of the long-term plan is a $25 million dome renovation, which is also the largest and most challenging project. It's not on UNI's current five-year capital plan, but it's among the most important and could be added in the next year or two.
"The Dome is turning 40," said Dannen. "Before we know it, it's going to be 50. Besides the roof, it's a lot of the same infrastructure inside the building, including the restrooms, and that is the single biggest liability we have in our facilities. It's not as fan-friendly as it used to be."
Conceptual designs for the project include expanding the concourses, adding up to 100 toilets, expanding the number of game-day suites, adding some club-type and premium seating and either repainting or replacing the rest of the existing seating.
"I've always felt like purple seats would really make this place pop," noted Dannen.
UNI has made a handful of recent upgrades to the Dome, including the new video board, an improved point of sales system for ticketing and an $800,000 upgrade to the cooling system.
"The Dome is in remarkable shape," Dannen pointed out. "But if you don't do this, all of a sudden that dome is 50 years old and we're going to be chasing instead of being proactive.
"There are a lot of needs from a physical standpoint. We have to continue to invest in the infrastructure so we're not spending $80,000 to $220,000 to do repairs every year."

NoDak 4 Ever
August 10th, 2015, 09:06 AM
The seats in the dome always puzzled me. Same with ours.

clenz
August 10th, 2015, 09:08 AM
They are the original from the 70s.

I've learned to never try to figure the 70s out.

Grizalltheway
August 10th, 2015, 09:11 AM
I bet $25 mil. would go a long ways towards building something that's not so...indoors...

clenz
August 10th, 2015, 09:15 AM
I bet $25 mil. would go a long ways towards building something that's not so...indoors...
The dome is used for way too many things that bring income into town to ever get rid of it....at least until it's beyond the point of saving.

There's a reason it was built indoors to begin with

NoDak 4 Ever
August 10th, 2015, 09:22 AM
The dome is used for way too many things that bring income into town to ever get rid of it....at least until it's beyond the point of saving.

There's a reason it was built indoors to begin with

Same thing for the Fargodome. It was built by the city to be an arena, they just happened to make it big enough to play football in. This outdoor football snobbery is tiresome.

Grizalltheway
August 10th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Same thing for the Fargodome. It was built by the city to be an arena, they just happened to make it big enough to play football in. This outdoor football snobbery is tiresome.

Now you know how the rest of us feel about you...xnodx

Mattymc727
August 10th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Seems like quite a few FCS programs are investing in their football programs lately. Perhaps its a sign that a lot of these FCS schools want to move up when the crap hits the fan regarding D1 football realignment.

clenz
August 10th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Seems like quite a few FCS programs are investing in their football programs lately. Perhaps its a sign that a lot of these FCS schools want to move up when the crap hits the fan regarding D1 football realignment.
The dome needs it.

There has been millions done to it in the last decade or so, but it is a building built between 73 and 76. The "extras" have been done to increase game day experience for fans, but now it's time for the skeleton to have work done to it and added things for the team inside.

MSUBear42
August 10th, 2015, 12:24 PM

Right??? Weird colored seats must have been the hottest thing in that time frame.

Further evidence:

https://ntg.missouristate.edu/Images/Buildings/ISDN/HAMC-ISDN-1024-01.jpg

eiu1999
August 10th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Right??? Weird colored seats must have been the hottest thing in that time frame.

Further evidence:

Classic 70s.

UNIFanSince1983
August 10th, 2015, 01:07 PM

Further evidence:

Hammons Student Center. That was not a friendly place for the Panthers!

eiu1999
August 10th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Should be all blue seats.

UNIFanSince1983
August 10th, 2015, 01:32 PM
As for the topic at hand I know the expansion of the concourse and adding more restrooms has been talked about for a while. It is much needed, and really hope that comes to fruition. I am also a huge fan of the Panther Performance Center. That could definitely be a big one for basketball. No longer practicing in the outdated PEC and having to make a long trek back from practice to the locker rooms. Then construction of a soccer stadium would be great as well. This would give the football team an outdoor turf field to practice on which would be amazing!

Overall, really hope these things all make it to real life instead of just plans. Just great things for the university!

clenz
August 10th, 2015, 01:48 PM
As for the topic at hand I know the expansion of the concourse and adding more restrooms has been talked about for a while. It is much needed, and really hope that comes to fruition. I am also a huge fan of the Panther Performance Center. That could definitely be a big one for basketball. No longer practicing in the outdated PEC and having to make a long trek back from practice to the locker rooms. Then construction of a soccer stadium would be great as well. This would give the football team an outdoor turf field to practice on which would be amazing!

Overall, really hope these things all make it to real life instead of just plans. Just great things for the university!
The soccer thing has been talked about for a LONG time, nice to see it coming to life beyond being talked about. We may see a shift with the womens rugby program come along with that for Title IX reasons - though i think Coach Murra will fight that. The club level is where it's at in college rugby.

I've posted renderings of the proposed dome reno a while back. I'll find them an post them again. It's a MASSIVE overhaul of the outside.

I wonder if the performance center will be Price Lab School gym area that was left from that school being demolished. The only issue there is it's not connected to the McLeod Center and offices. Though, I suppose that will become a game day setting and the new practice facility will then house offices and what not. I don't know where else that would go if not there

clenz
August 10th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Potential renderings of the dome project I found came across through some place

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/randoms/IMG_20141205_234139_zpszfi57d6u.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/randoms/IMG_20141205_234159_zps1rb1h9l1.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/randoms/IMG_20141205_234155_zps91yioyl1.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/randoms/IMG_20141205_234203_zpszsumj2ad.jpg

SDFS
August 10th, 2015, 09:33 PM
I have never been to the UNI dome - is it the same size as the Dakota Dome? I know USD never finished the "North Side" of the dome. But, the footprint looks the similar.

clenz
August 10th, 2015, 09:54 PM
Larger.

USD literally hired the same firm to build theirs on about half scale after they saw the UNIDome

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

eiu1999
August 11th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Larger.

USD literally hired the same firm to build theirs on about half scale after they saw the UNIDome

Where is the money coming from?

clenz
August 11th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Where is the money coming from?
The major dome reno is likely 7 to 10 years off. It's all part of a capitol fundraising effort through private sources, grants, partnerships and (like the Iowa High School Athletic Association) and maybe some loans. I would bet no state money is used

I expect the turf done by next year or 17 at the latest and team room by 18...maybe 17...soccer stadium by 18 and the new performance center by 21ish if all goes well

JayJ79
August 11th, 2015, 05:56 PM
I highly doubt UNI will build a soccer stadium. Most likely it will be a turf field (or pitch, in soccer terms) with a few sets of bleachers. maybe with a fence around it, and lights. probably similar to what they have at the soccer complex they play at now, except with turf instead of grass, and on campus.

PantherRob82
August 11th, 2015, 10:32 PM
The major dome reno is likely 7 to 10 years off. It's all part of a capitol fundraising effort through private sources, grants, partnerships and (like the Iowa High School Athletic Association) and maybe some loans. I would bet no state money is used

I expect the turf done by next year or 17 at the latest and team room by 18...maybe 17...soccer stadium by 18 and the new performance center by 21ish if all goes well

I believe the article says the team room is being started as soon as the football season is over.