PDA

View Full Version : Yale fans

Grizalltheway
August 6th, 2015, 08:57 PM
You guys are getting a great one. Both the Griz and Cats wanted him badly, but it was always a long shot with how sharp the kid is.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/sports/2015/08/06/andrew-grinde-verbally-commits-yale/31268751/

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 6th, 2015, 08:59 PM
Harvard and Yale get some absurdly talented players. The fact that some refuse to acknowledge the caliber of players IL land each year confounds me....

bonarae
August 6th, 2015, 09:24 PM
Harvard and Yale get some absurdly talented players. The fact that some refuse to acknowledge the caliber of players IL land each year confounds me....

I agree with you. OK, so how many such players get NFL shots? Very few... and some of them get wasted on the JV team usually their first two years in the Ivies. JV has to go, really... in order for Ivy football to progress...

Go Green
August 6th, 2015, 09:38 PM
JV has to go, really... in order for Ivy football to progress...

I'm sorry for being dense, but I don't see how you get from assertion #1 to assertion #2.

bonarae
August 6th, 2015, 11:55 PM
I'm sorry for being dense, but I don't see how you get from assertion #1 to assertion #2.

Number one, JV is just funding fodder for many college football programs that very few teams still support them today. Number two, JV is one of many old traditions of Ivy football that need to go in order for it to go into changing times...

eiu1999
August 7th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Bad link on the article?

Grizalltheway
August 7th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Bad link on the article?

Thanks for the heads up, there's an updated one that should work now.

Sader87
August 7th, 2015, 11:32 AM
I remember the name Tony Hinz (who went to the same hs as Grinde and played at Harvard in the 80s)...wasn't he a back too?

Go Green
August 7th, 2015, 05:47 PM
Number one, JV is just funding fodder for many college football programs that very few teams still support them today. Number two, JV is one of many old traditions of Ivy football that need to go in order for it to go into changing times...

You can make a case that getting rid of freshman football made Ivy teams more competitive by allowing freshmen to be eligible for the varsity. But nobody is forcing a player to be on the JV. If he's playing JV games, then chances are he's at best a fringe varsity player.

JV games can be helpful in developing young talent who have older guys ahead of them on the depth chart. Big Green Alert talked about JV programs' relevance today a few weeks ago.

http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-undercard.html

At worst, they are harmless. They cost nothing to run. Charting a bus for a day trip and paying officials is about it. Everything else is already covered in the operating budget.

Ivytalk
August 7th, 2015, 08:37 PM
I remember the name Tony Hinz (who went to the same hs as Grinde and played at Harvard in the 80s)...wasn't he a back too?
He sure was. He ate Yale's lunch in the '87 "frost bowl" at Yale. Scored both Harvard TDs, IIRC.

bulldog10jw
August 7th, 2015, 10:16 PM
You guys are getting a great one. Both the Griz and Cats wanted him badly, but it was always a long shot with how sharp the kid is.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/sports/2015/08/06/andrew-grinde-verbally-commits-yale/31268751/

Glad to have him.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2376679/andrew-grinde

Green26
August 8th, 2015, 12:32 AM

Yes, Hinz was a back. Was the only player from the Ivies drafted his senior year. Hurt his knee during camp, I think the Patriots, and moved on to med school the next year. His dad also played for Harvard and became a doctor. Great family. Hid dad and I are good friends. We played city league hoops together back in the day. The dad was a great doctor. Helped my family through a very tough time when our baby was born with big problems. I know the Grinde family too. My son used to play with the Grinde boys when they were elementary school age. Grinde is a terrific player. He would have been better off at a better school like Dartmouth (don't you think Go Green), but he'll get by at Yale.

bulldog10jw
August 21st, 2016, 03:12 PM
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/sports/2016/07/22/yale-rb-coach-grinde-something-special-us/87464316/

For Derrick Lett, his incoming running back from Montana checks off all the necessary boxes.

Speed. Strength. Competitiveness.
The full package is how Lett, who’s entering his second season as running backs coach for the Yale Bulldogs, describes former C.M. Russell High standout Andrew Grinde.
On the East Coast is where the 2014 Montana Gatorade Player of the Year has been stationed since July 2.

KPSUL
August 21st, 2016, 04:14 PM
You can make a case that getting rid of freshman football made Ivy teams more competitive by allowing freshmen to be eligible for the varsity. But nobody is forcing a player to be on the JV. If he's playing JV games, then chances are he's at best a fringe varsity player.

JV games can be helpful in developing young talent who have older guys ahead of them on the depth chart. Big Green Alert talked about JV programs' relevance today a few weeks ago.

http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-undercard.html

At worst, they are harmless. They cost nothing to run. Charting a bus for a day trip and paying officials is about it. Everything else is already covered in the operating budget.

So what's the bottom line? Are IL Freshmen, and/or Sophomores, required to play on a JV team or not? I didn't think so, however, I don't see any merit in Bonarae's assertion about the harm of having a JV program unless that was the case.

Go Green
August 22nd, 2016, 08:32 AM
So what's the bottom line? Are IL Freshmen, and/or Sophomores, required to play on a JV team or not? .

They aren't "required" to do so, but anyone who isn't on the varsity's two-deep generally does play on the JV.

Sader87
August 22nd, 2016, 02:32 PM
Holy Cross dropped having a JV squad playing games (against mostly Ivies and prep schools)....forget the rationale exactly, something to do with the reinstatement of scholles.

Grizalltheway
August 22nd, 2016, 02:48 PM
Yo, this thread is about a Montana boy getting him some fancy east coast book learnin'. Please try to stay OT. xrotatehx

PAllen
August 22nd, 2016, 06:51 PM
Yo, this thread is about a Montana boy getting him some fancy east coast book learnin'. Please try to stay OT. xrotatehx

The thread was starting to wander a bit, but Sader87 brought it right back by turning it into an always OT Patriot League hijack. :D

Son of Eli
August 22nd, 2016, 07:14 PM
He's been given the name "Meat Grinde" on the Voy Ivy League board. I would love to see Yale schedule a game in 2019 at Montana so he can return home to play a game when he is a senior.

wolfman61
August 23rd, 2016, 06:58 PM
Just stay out of the rough nieghberhoods.

Grizalltheway
August 23rd, 2016, 07:42 PM
Just stay out of the rough nieghberhoods.

Great Falls has some parts you want to avoid at night as well. Probably nothing compared with New Haven, though.

Grizalltheway
August 23rd, 2016, 07:46 PM
Well, never mind, I guess.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/sports/2016/08/23/cmr-star-andrew-grinde-leaves-yale/89232980/

SeattleBobcat
August 23rd, 2016, 08:07 PM
Well, never mind, I guess.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/sports/2016/08/23/cmr-star-andrew-grinde-leaves-yale/89232980/
Yeah, WTF happened here? Wondering if he needs to be closer to home?

Son of Eli
August 23rd, 2016, 08:40 PM
Maybe it's his way of being a red shirt freshman. Hopefully he'll return to Yale next fall.

Grizalltheway
August 23rd, 2016, 09:04 PM

No idea, but hopefully Missoula is close enough...

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 23rd, 2016, 09:36 PM
Yes, Hinz was a back. Was the only player from the Ivies drafted his senior year. Hurt his knee during camp, I think the Patriots, and moved on to med school the next year. His dad also played for Harvard and became a doctor. Great family. Hid dad and I are good friends. We played city league hoops together back in the day. The dad was a great doctor. Helped my family through a very tough time when our baby was born with big problems. I know the Grinde family too. My son used to play with the Grinde boys when they were elementary school age. Grinde is a terrific player. He would have been better off at a better school like Dartmouth (don't you think Go Green), but he'll get by at Yale.

Multiple screen names over here and talking to yourself? Maybe you should go see Dr Hinz again for your baby brain

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 23rd, 2016, 09:38 PM
He's been given the name "Meat Grinde" on the Voy Ivy League board. I would love to see Yale schedule a game in 2019 at Montana so he can return home to play a game when he is a senior.

Never happen, you guys would never leave town for a beating like the one you would get in Missoula.

Go Green
August 24th, 2016, 09:38 AM

Here's one take.

http://culions.blogspot.com/2016/08/grinded-out.html

The blogger makes clear he has no idea what happened, but speculates maturity issues may have been the reason. Whether that's homesickness, grades.... who knows?

In any event, best of luck to the young man.

bulldog10jw
May 18th, 2017, 05:29 PM
Rumor on the Yale Football Blog is that Andrew Grinde is returning to Yale

Son of Eli
May 19th, 2017, 05:50 AM
Rumor on the Yale Football Blog is that Andrew Grinde is returning to Yale

We can always use more depth at running back. I just hope his heart is in it this time.

bulldog10jw
September 16th, 2017, 05:53 PM
Andrew Grinde played his first game for Yale today.

Rushing
ATT
YDS
AVG
LG
TD

Andrew Grinde

Son of Eli
September 16th, 2017, 07:21 PM
Andrew Grinde played his first game for Yale today.

Rushing
ATT
YDS
AVG
LG
TD

Andrew Grinde

Best of all it looked like he was really having fun out there today. He reminds me of Tyler Varga. He and Dudek are going to be Thunder and Lightning for years to come.

Go...gate
September 17th, 2017, 05:35 PM
Princeton had better be careful. Looks like you guys have a very capable team. The Tigers struggled at times against San Diego yesterday.

Grizalltheway
October 5th, 2017, 09:08 AM
Well that sucks. Best of luck to the kid in the future.

http://www.montanasports.com/2017/10/04/andrew-grinde-steps-away-from-football-to-focus-on-health-academics/

Go Green
October 5th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Can't remember a year in the Ivy when so many high-profile guys aren't playing. You could put together a damn good team with the Ivy guys who have transferred, retired early, been injured, or suspended this season...

cx500d
October 7th, 2017, 09:06 PM
Can't remember a year in the Ivy when so many high-profile guys aren't playing. You could put together a damn good team with the Ivy guys who have transferred, retired early, been injured, or suspended this season...

What do Ivy people get suspended for? Overstating their net worth?

Go Green
October 7th, 2017, 10:08 PM
What do Ivy people get suspended for? Overstating their net worth?

Academic cheating.

Google it if you care. Every Ivy school has suspended athletes for cheating. Sucks if it's your school, but them's the rules.