PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Patriot League

Go Green
July 27th, 2015, 08:06 PM
This year, the Ivy is not carrying you guys on our television games. It's strictly Ivy games.

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/sports/fball/2015-16/releases/2015_Football_Television_Schedule_Showcases_League-High_17_Matchups

BucBisonAtLarge
July 27th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Oh, yeah... the league Cornell plays in... I wonder if Bucknell will ever come up on a non-Ithaca schedule again...

ngineer
July 27th, 2015, 11:16 PM
So?

CFBfan
July 28th, 2015, 05:37 AM
[QUOTE=Go Green;2234315]This year, the Ivy is not carrying you guys on our television games. It's strictly Ivy games.

WHO GIVES A RAT'S .........!!

the PL is SLOWLY pulling away from the ancient aholes, 5 years from now they will be a distant memory

bonarae
July 28th, 2015, 05:47 AM
Hmm, is this another sign that PL and Ivy are going in different directions? xsmhx

LeopardBall10
July 28th, 2015, 06:54 AM
Hmm, is this another sign that PL and Ivy are going in different directions? xsmhxI would think so. I really can't think of another reason for this. Unless there are clashes with the Ivy Fox/NBC deals and the PL CBS Sports deal even though CBS Sports will not be airing any PL Football this year.

RichH2
July 28th, 2015, 07:30 AM
I would think so. I really can't think of another reason for this. Unless there are clashes with the Ivy Fox/NBC deals and the PL CBS Sports deal even though CBS Sports will not be airing any PL Football this year.
Possible. IMO, seems unlikely to be an intentional move by IL towards PL. Just IL insuring its parochialism. For us,dont really care. Enjoy our games with Ivies,but the PL is no longer an Ivy Lite clone.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 28th, 2015, 08:28 AM
I will miss the fact that I could catch some Lehigh games on Ivy League broadcasts.

Guessing that the Ivy League didn't seriously entertain televising the Fordham@Penn slaughter or the Georgetown@Harvard game. Yale has only three home games this year, all league games.

This exposes the real problem - the IL hasn't scheduled any compelling OOC home games that viewers might want to watch. Davidson/Princeton isn't exactly a competitive game either.

Other possible games involve at least one team that's under .500:

Bucknell@Cornell
Colgate@Cornell
Lehigh@Princeton

Holy Cross and Lafayette play no Ivy road games, either.

Sader87
July 28th, 2015, 09:59 AM
The Ivy League and Patriot League will continue to play many football games against one another moving forward imo. Like Richard Gere in an "Officer and a Gentleman" neither really has "nowhere else to go."

Holy Cross has signed long-term contracts starting in 2016 to play both Harvard and Yale annually....I'm sure we will continue to play Dartmouth and Brown quite a bit in the future as well.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 28th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Note the lack of punctuation in the title.

Seems fitting.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 28th, 2015, 10:23 AM
The more you look at the Ivy's OOC schedule, you understand their decision to circle the wagons and show only league games. Davidson/Princeton? No Yale home OOC games? Columbia?

If Lehigh had been better than 3-8 last year you could possibly see Lehigh/Princeton on there, or if Penn had even been .500 the game vs. Fordham might be decent TV. As it stands, though, the matchups are all pretty rough.

aceinthehole
July 28th, 2015, 03:18 PM
I'm confused ... why would any conference TV package televise OOC games?

Since the league is paying to either produce or broadcast these games, why give the exposure to a non-conference school?

The NEC television package has always been for league games only. As far as I know, the NBC deal with CAA featured only league games.

Why in the world should the Ivy League televise PL or any other non-conference foes on a package they pay for?

This thread seems to be a lot to do about nothing ...

Go Green
July 28th, 2015, 04:50 PM

Since the league is paying to either produce or broadcast these games, why give the exposure to a non-conference school?

The NEC television package has always been for league games only. As far as I know, the NBC deal with CAA featured only league games.

Why in the world should the Ivy League televise PL or any other non-conference foes on a package they pay for?

In the past, Ivy's television deals included a few OOC games. Sometimes that was to ensure that every Ivy team got broadcast at least once. This is the first time that it's just Ivy games (thus far--things can change). Usually the OOC televised games was against a PL or CAA team...

bulldog10jw
July 28th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Yale has only three home games this year, all league games.

Yale has 4 home games this year. They are all league games.

bulldog10jw
July 28th, 2015, 05:34 PM
The Ivy League and Patriot League will continue to play many football games against one another moving forward imo. Like Richard Gere in an "Officer and a Gentleman" neither really has "nowhere else to go."

Holy Cross has signed long-term contracts starting in 2016 to play both Harvard and Yale annually....I'm sure we will continue to play Dartmouth and Brown quite a bit in the future as well.

I agree, Sader, and I hope Yale will continue to play one or two Patriot teams each year far into the future.

Go...gate
July 29th, 2015, 02:07 AM
I give Yale and Cornell credit - they still intend to play Colgate in future years. After this year, however, outside of the Big Red and Bulldogs, there are no other Ivies on Colgate football schedules.

DFW HOYA
July 29th, 2015, 07:41 AM
There are a lot of strategies to non-conference scheduling. Sometimes it's an out of conference rivalry (ND-USC), many times it's a chance to schedule up and pocket a check (Texas A&M-Western Carolina), other times it's a match made by TV or simply to fill an open week. None of these apply to the Ivy.

In most cases, the choice is 1) a regional school where a home and away series is manageable by cost (Dartmouth-Holy Cross) or an opponent that is a reasonably dependable win (Harvard-Georgetown). The updraft of PL scholarships on the Ivy makes the need to win more important than the need to find regional opponents. Princeton doesn't need to lose by 40 to Lehigh merely to save on travel costs and realistically, the average Princeton fan doesn't care if they play Lehigh or not.

Going forward, the PL 6 will average one Ivy a game a year. Fordham will probably have none, Holy Cross will probably pick up two until their competitive advantage becomes too much for Dartmouth and Harvard. The Ivies will backfill the games with Georgetown, Marist, maybe Davidson, and a PFL team or two. This will allow the PL 6 teams to build a consistent non-conference schedule that is comprised of:

One I-A guarantee/"no-chance" game (BC, UConn, Syracuse, etc.),
One I-A reach game (UMass, Army, lower tier MAC) or a Top 25 I-AA opponent
One Ivy opponent, and
One intersectional contest (CAA, NEC etc.).

RichH2
July 29th, 2015, 08:42 AM
There are a lot of strategies to non-conference scheduling. Sometimes it's an out of conference rivalry (ND-USC), many times it's a chance to schedule up and pocket a check (Texas A&M-Western Carolina), other times it's a match made by TV or simply to fill an open week. None of these apply to the Ivy.

In most cases, the choice is 1) a regional school where a home and away series is manageable by cost (Dartmouth-Holy Cross) or an opponent that is a reasonably dependable win (Harvard-Georgetown). The updraft of PL scholarships on the Ivy makes the need to win more important than the need to find regional opponents. Princeton doesn't need to lose by 40 to Lehigh merely to save on travel costs and realistically, the average Princeton fan doesn't care if they play Lehigh or not.

Going forward, the PL 6 will average one Ivy a game a year. Fordham will probably have none, Holy Cross will probably pick up two until their competitive advantage becomes too much for Dartmouth and Harvard. The Ivies will backfill the games with Georgetown, Marist, maybe Davidson, and a PFL team or two. This will allow the PL 6 teams to build a consistent non-conference schedule that is comprised of:

One I-A guarantee/"no-chance" game (BC, UConn, Syracuse, etc.),
One I-A reach game (UMass, Army, lower tier MAC) or a Top 25 I-AA opponent
One Ivy opponent, and
One intersectional contest (CAA, NEC etc.).

Sounds about as accurate as any . From comments seems LU looking to get one FBS game for each recruit class. There were numerous names tossed around early on,other than Navy in '18 none came about. Since Joe keeps scheduling under wraps ,we will have to rely on scanning thru other teams future schedules.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 29th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Going forward, the PL 6 will average one Ivy a game a year. Fordham will probably have none, Holy Cross will probably pick up two until their competitive advantage becomes too much for Dartmouth and Harvard. The Ivies will backfill the games with Georgetown, Marist, maybe Davidson, and a PFL team or two.

Therefore it should come as no surprise that the Ivy League wouldn't wish to televise these OOC games anymore. Nobody wants a national broadcast showcasing Harvard blowing out Davidson.

On the plus side, nobody will be able to say the Patriot League "doesn't schedule anybody" anymore.

Model Citizen
July 29th, 2015, 09:17 AM
Therefore it should come as no surprise that the Ivy League wouldn't wish to televise these OOC games anymore. Nobody wants a national broadcast showcasing Harvard blowing out Davidson.

Or Princeton losing to San Diego...

Or Penn losing to Jacksonville.

:D

Lehigh Football Nation
July 29th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Or Princeton losing to San Diego...

Or Penn losing to Jacksonville.

:D

How soon until the Ivies stop scheduling those games because they're "uncompetitive"? :)

Model Citizen
July 29th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Anticipating that problem, the Pioneer has penalized USD and JU for being "overly competitive."

melloware13
July 29th, 2015, 10:13 AM

CAA Deal had Del State-Delaware for the first two years of the deal, then they realized that the game is a snoozer

BucBisonAtLarge
July 29th, 2015, 11:03 AM
I have plenty of respect for the Ivy football programs, but aside from Cornell and Penn, Bucknell does not have a consistent history of playing the Ancient Eight. In all the years of the IL-PL scheduling agreement, Bucknell played just two games with both Brown and Yale, as examples. These are not conference relationships. These are institutional relationships. Bucknell's long-term football relationships run deepest in the PL. As a Bucknell fan, DFW's scheme completely works for me. As we continue the scholly phase-in, I can see playing historic rivals like Temple, Villanova and Delaware and relying on the relationships with the Academies. An Ivy or two would be great, but it will be interesting if, outside of Ithaca, there will be any interest.

Go Green
July 29th, 2015, 06:00 PM
. After this year, however, outside of the Big Red and Bulldogs, there are no other Ivies on Colgate football schedules.

And they've been replaced by FBS teams! :)

Ivytalk
July 29th, 2015, 08:55 PM

Great news! Good to see the Harvard-HC rivalry come back.

Go...gate
July 29th, 2015, 10:41 PM
And they've been replaced by FBS teams! :)

To some degree, yes, as Navy returns to the schedule this year, Syracuse in 2016 and Buffalo in 2017. Also, Colgate and Albany will be playing much more often, and Colgate has entered into agreements for home and home games with Furman and Richmond. However, unlike Bucknell, many of Colgate's oldest and longest series were with the Ivies. In addition to Cornell and Yale, Brown, Princeton, Columbia and Dartmouth immediately come to mind. The series with the latter four (not to mention Harvard and Penn) are, to the say the least, on hiatus.

Go...gate
July 29th, 2015, 10:48 PM

On the plus side, nobody will be able to say the Patriot League "doesn't schedule anybody" anymore.

In the longer term, this may make a difference in post-season seeding and such.

Go Green
July 30th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Colgate and Albany will be playing much more often. .

I think that can be a pretty good series, especially if both teams continue to turn their programs up a notch.

Has it drawn decently in the past?

UAalum72
July 30th, 2015, 06:19 PM
I think that can be a pretty good series, especially if both teams continue to turn their programs up a notch.

Has it drawn decently in the past?Mostly been in the 5000-6500 range, probably a little above average for each team

Go...gate
July 30th, 2015, 07:29 PM
I agree that Albany - Colgate is a fine series which makes a lot of sense for both schools. I can also see Colgate and Stony Brook scheduling each other more often. Both games are "bus games" and there are a lot of Colgate alumni in the Albany region and on Long Island. Sadly, though, Colgate will have far fewer OOC games in the NYC/NJ and Philadelphia metro areas with the exception of Monmouth and possibly Wagner.

Gate83
July 30th, 2015, 08:44 PM
I agree that Albany - Colgate is a fine series which makes a lot of sense for both schools. I can also see Colgate and Stony Brook scheduling each other more often. Both games are "bus games" and there are a lot of Colgate alumni in the Albany region and on Long Island. Sadly, though, Colgate will have far fewer OOC games in the NYC/NJ and Philadelphia metro areas with the exception of Monmouth and possibly Wagner.

Go, I have to disagree... I've been to 3 of the 4 Albany games (1 there, two at home) & didn't get any zip from any of them. Stony Brook and Monmouth mean very little. I'd rather travel a little farther for better matchups (upcoming Richmond home & home, Furman series for example) versus looking specifically for NY OOC games. Hopefully Yale continues to schedule us and if you can work some magic to get us back in rotation with the Tigers...

Go...gate
July 30th, 2015, 09:49 PM
Go, I have to disagree... I've been to 3 of the 4 Albany games (1 there, two at home) & didn't get any zip from any of them. Stony Brook and Monmouth mean very little. I'd rather travel a little farther for better matchups (upcoming Richmond home & home, Furman series for example) versus looking specifically for NY OOC games. Hopefully Yale continues to schedule us and if you can work some magic to get us back in rotation with the Tigers...

Gate83, your point is very well taken.

When a lot of Colgate alumni (like you and me) think of Colgate's football match-ups, they think of games against the Ivies. The interruption (or end) of many of those series is a great disappointment. I hope that in the remainder of my lifetime, we will see a renewal of at least some of those series. Referring specifically to Princeton, many of my friends who are Tiger fans (ranging from late middle-age to octogenarians) have decried the apparent end of that series, which dated back to 1911 and for many years was played annually.