PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele talking Playoffs on Cowherd

Missingnumber7
July 23rd, 2015, 12:10 PM
Steele was on Cowherd this morning and they were talking the expansion of the FBS playoffs and he is one of the few in the boat that wants to see it stay at 4. His justification was that somewhere in the past the #3 team from the CAA was in the FCS Championship 2 out of 3 years. Totally ignoring how the playoffs since the expansion to where we are today has really made the last 3 rounds really a better picture of FCS Football, IMHO.

The fact that we have had a 4 time repeat champion, during that time we've had a rematch, and two teams from the same conference play in the championship game, that didn't meet in the regular season. I think that larger playoffs, within certain limitations, bring a true national champion out of the mix, and along the way bring some great games with great matchups. I still think the seeding needs some work but with regionalization you have the monster that we must deal with.

DFW HOYA
July 23rd, 2015, 12:31 PM
The NCAA rules regarding a school bidding on the games don't help. No way a Villanova-SHSU game should draw 2,333.

Suggestion: The teams are ranked 1-24 and the higher ranked teams in each bracket host the game. No minimum bid required.

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2015, 12:36 PM
The NCAA rules regarding a school bidding on the games don't help. No way a Villanova-SHSU game should draw 2,333.

Suggestion: The teams are ranked 1-24 and the higher ranked teams in each bracket host the game. No minimum bid required.

Then the NCAA would not net a big profit on the playoffs and the schools would make money. Why would the NCAA give up the money? LOL

clenz
July 23rd, 2015, 12:37 PM

epic money loss.

NCAA will never go for it

though I agree...as long as the SRS isn't used

Professor Chaos
July 23rd, 2015, 01:39 PM
I think the process is fine where it is now with the top 8 being seeded. It's very rarely you'll actually have a champion coming from outside of the top 8 so having the rest of the teams unseeded so they can maximize revenue with the number of teams included is ok by me. I'm also a big proponent of autobids so I like the 24 team format where the top 8 (where all the true contenders are most years) get a bye and guaranteed home game after the bye. Having the bottom 16 teams in the playoffs play an extra game so autobids can be included is also ok by me.

melloware13
July 23rd, 2015, 02:55 PM
Villanova was seeded so the bidding didn't matter.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 23rd, 2015, 05:47 PM
I think the process is fine where it is now with the top 8 being seeded. It's very rarely you'll actually have a champion coming from outside of the top 8 so having the rest of the teams unseeded so they can maximize revenue with the number of teams included is ok by me. I'm also a big proponent of autobids so I like the 24 team format where the top 8 (where all the true contenders are most years) get a bye and guaranteed home game after the bye. Having the bottom 16 teams in the playoffs play an extra game so autobids can be included is also ok by me.

Clear thinking and logical. Naturally I agree with this.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 23rd, 2015, 06:11 PM
Isn't there a rule that a certain percentage of the field needs to be seeded?

By NCAA rule, every conference with an autobid needs to at a minimum be matched with an at-large team. Hence, 11 autobids (and 13 at-larges), which are then seeded 1-8 (I think).

Semifinals and finals should be in neutral venues. That way seeding only would net in most cases two extra home games (and, in rare cases when there are upsets, 3).

clenz
July 23rd, 2015, 07:01 PM
10 autobids

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk