PDA

View Full Version : Sun Belt looks for a new member?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Laker
September 1st, 2015, 09:28 AM
It was mentioned on the AAC board that with the addition of CCU there will be 130 FBS teams, 65 P5 and 65 G5. Interesting.....

Is that counting UAB?

Baldy
September 1st, 2015, 10:03 AM
It'll be interesting to see the timeline that they go with. We currently have a home-and-home scheduled with them, with us going down there in a few weeks, and them scheduled to make a visit to Western in 2017. I wonder if they'll see about buying out their game or if we'll end up getting an FBS or FBS-transitional team playing in Macomb.
I doubt very seriously they'll make the return trip. CCU will be playing a Sun Belt schedule in 2017.

ST_Lawson
September 1st, 2015, 10:06 AM
I doubt very seriously they'll make the return trip. CCU will be playing a Sun Belt schedule in 2017.

That's ok, we'll take their money.

CasualFan
September 1st, 2015, 10:49 AM
If I were a ccu faculty and heard they're using anything other than private funds to pay for this move, I'd be livid this morning.
There isn't much angst. I've heard from a few people that are pissed, but generally it's pretty mild compared to what I expected. Faculty Senate is meeting tomorrow, and I'm curious what will be said. I doubt it will get much of a mention.

So here's my (limited) understanding of CCU's finances. Any money not spent at the end of the year goes into a deferred fund. That is where the stadium money will come from, along with some private donations. Looking at the 2013 financial reports, there is a $225 million "Net Position" that is at the end of the income statement where you would normally see Net Income, but it is a cumulative total from previous years. I assume that is the deferred fund. To put the $225 million in perspective, during the same year our operating expenses were about $160 million.

AshevilleApp2
September 1st, 2015, 11:11 AM
Because your penis envy demands it

Still not understanding irony Gonzo? Dumb ****.

AshevilleApp2
September 1st, 2015, 11:20 AM
Congrats to Coastal! It will be nice to have another Carolina's school in the conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 1st, 2015, 11:21 AM
There isn't much angst. I've heard from a few people that are pissed, but generally it's pretty mild compared to what I expected. Faculty Senate is meeting tomorrow, and I'm curious what will be said. I doubt it will get much of a mention.

So here's my (limited) understanding of CCU's finances. Any money not spent at the end of the year goes into a deferred fund. That is where the stadium money will come from, along with some private donations. Looking at the 2013 financial reports, there is a $225 million "Net Position" that is at the end of the income statement where you would normally see Net Income, but it is a cumulative total from previous years. I assume that is the deferred fund. To put the $225 million in perspective, during the same year our operating expenses were about $160 million.

So how much of that gets blown on getting stadium up to minimum FBS standard? Half?

People don't have angst because they haven't been presented a bill.

proasu89
September 1st, 2015, 11:22 AM
I'm assuming sometime after 1300 tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the Belt, Mark! Looking forward to the road games in all of the sports.xthumbsupx

clenz
September 1st, 2015, 11:23 AM
So how much of that gets blown on getting stadium up to minimum FBS standard? Half?

People don't have angst because they haven't been presented a bill.
This seems accurate.

There's no angst because no money is disappearing yet. Once you start pulling 30m+ out just to meet minimum standards and still be one of the smallest stadiums in the FBS and have it getting filled with the same 9-11K fans...assuming CCU maintains being good...grumbling will appear real quick.

RootinFerDukes
September 1st, 2015, 12:52 PM
There is a 100% chance that the faculty will not be happy. It's what they do. You say university funds are paying for this and I promise you they'll be at the president's office with pitchforks.

Hammer Head
September 1st, 2015, 04:06 PM
Actually, if Lehigh really wanted to play FBS they could. They have the money, facilities and location to do it. Lehigh would EASILY draw 25-30k for games against Rutgers, BC, Duke, Navy, Army etc. The school simply has, and wisely so, no interest in pursuing it. Colgate and Holy Cross were there once, not THAT long ago....

Actually they couldn't. You only get into FBS by being invited. That means some conference would actually have to want Lehigh. You also couldn't draw that many for those games because those teams aren't coming to your 16,000 seat stadium.

Hammer Head
September 1st, 2015, 04:10 PM
Still not understanding irony Gonzo? Dumb ****.

I have a hard time understanding someone as AshevilleApp using a Western Carolina helmet. That just seems wrong in so many ways.

Hammer Head
September 1st, 2015, 04:15 PM
In actuality there is no minimum FBS seating requirement. A school only has to average 15K during a rolling 2 year period. Technically they could have a 10K seat stadium with overflow that allows them to get another 5K thru the gates. Of course it's better to have the seats.

AshevilleApp2
September 2nd, 2015, 02:41 PM
I have a hard time understanding someone as AshevilleApp using a Western Carolina helmet. That just seems wrong in so many ways.

Sorry for the confusion. Since this is an FCS Board, I feel like I should support an FCS team. Still an App fan through and through. But have "adopted" Western as my new FCS favorite. They are an hour away, and much of their coaching staff came over from App.

And the Sun Belt board is boring.

proasu89
September 2nd, 2015, 04:15 PM
Sorry for the confusion. Since this is an FCS Board, I feel like I should support an FCS team. Still an App fan through and through. But have "adopted" Western as my new FCS favorite. They are an hour away, and much of their coaching staff came over from App.

Lack of Champagne Room. I too have adopted FCS helmets for this board. Started out with the Griz and then changed to Coastal during the playoffs. Don't think I could do anything purple though.

walliver
September 2nd, 2015, 04:39 PM

I peek in over there periodically. Half the arguments are over why ULL should just be UL and how almost of their members are "flagship" schools which are peers of their local SEC schools in all respects and are being savagely persecuted by their SEC neighbors. The other half are about how everyone hates Idaho almost as much as they hate Karl Benson. That board really needs a Citdog and Chattown to liven it up, although they are way too politically correct to tolerate Citdog.

AshevilleApp2
September 3rd, 2015, 11:08 AM
I peek in over there periodically. Half the arguments are over why ULL should just be UL and how almost of their members are "flagship" schools which are peers of their local SEC schools in all respects and are being savagely persecuted by their SEC neighbors. The other half are about how everyone hates Idaho almost as much as they hate Karl Benson. That board really needs a Citdog and Chattown to liven it up, although they are way too politically correct to tolerate Citdog.

I agree. What clinched it for me was late last season when ULL fans were saying they needed to leave the SBC because of the inferior quality of the newcomers. Of course one newcomer went undefeated in their first year and the other beat ULL in Lafayette.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 3rd, 2015, 11:37 AM

We have a couple of huge homers over there that liven things up. There's eagleskins (a.k.a seantaylor over here) and we have another guy that never posted on AGS that trolls UL and CUSA people hard. Opie eventually got banned but the other two can handle things by themselves.