PDA

View Full Version : Sun Belt looks for a new member?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

superman7515
August 7th, 2015, 11:50 PM
Finally figured out who Centennial is.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances2/500x/1278657.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
August 8th, 2015, 12:05 AM
I KNEW IT!

BisonFan02
August 8th, 2015, 12:10 AM
Finally figured out who Centennial is.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances2/500x/1278657.jpg

...and supe is the type of guy that eats both the red and blue pill simultaneously. xlolx

superman7515
August 8th, 2015, 12:13 AM
...and supe is the type of guy that eats both the red and blue pill simultaneously. xlolx

http://www.lolomgwtfbbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/never-half-ass-two-things-whole-ass-one-thing.jpeg

PAllen
August 8th, 2015, 12:14 AM
ND wants to play their rivals/traditional opponents, which are nationwide. They need a conference that reflects their needs. The B1G does not reflect ND's needs in that area.

Because NC State and Clemson are clearly rivals where Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, and Indiana are not. :(

jsnow84
August 8th, 2015, 12:50 AM
It appears that the SBC is avoiding Liberty because of their money, enrollment, TV network and potential growth/strength. If they were to receive an invite, they would immediately be the number 2 in on-campus enrollment, number 1 in endowment and have the nicest facilities in the conference. Gotta wonder.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 8th, 2015, 12:58 AM
It appears that the SBC is avoiding Liberty because of their money, enrollment, TV network and potential growth/strength. If they were to receive an invite, they would immediately be the number 2 in on-campus enrollment, number 1 in endowment and have the nicest facilities in the conference. Gotta wonder.

Those likely are not the reason they are avoiding Liberty. They may be a little of the frosting or sprinkles but it isn't the heart of the matter. There really isn't much wondering about it to me.

Welcome aboard btw.xthumbsupx

UNDOregon
August 8th, 2015, 03:55 AM
This is just my opinion, but I think they're panicking, knowing that the big 12 may take more teams. The trickle down will work its way down to the sbc and they could have one or two teams taken. Then they only have 9 members remaining.
They're being rejected, publicly too, by schools like Missouri state and JMU. Schools are choosing to stay Fcs then join them. Their perception is at an all time low. They're taking any willing, warm body that isn't named Liberty. They're desperate.

I like this topic very much. I agree that there is another conference realignment brewing. Over the last few years, look who is not paying attention to conference grouping: Notre Dame, BYU, and the Big 12 (big risk is that there is no playoff selection for ND, BYU, or Big 12 teams, which will impact how they view their current situations). Until recently, the Big 12 was bragging about how happy its members were with only 10 teams and no championship game. Big 12 teams barely stayed together, so they had to have happy pronouncements about their final members/teams. Even though the college football playoff committee announced that conference championship games would be significant factors in the final playoff ranking, Big 12 ignored it and the Big 12's motto became "One True Champion" (i.e., every team plays every conference team and we don't need a champ. game, forgetting that it means Big 12 plays one less game).

But, Big 12 ended up last year with two champions with same record, and Baylor and TCU were not selected. Big 12 has been stating it can get a waiver for allowing 10 teams to have a championship game. But how many years have they stated that and nothing has happened with that waiver request, if it has ever been formally made to NCAA. I believe it has been informally discussed with NCAA but no formal request has been made because of the perceived unfairness to other conferences (and therefore, it would be rejected in a vote by other conferences).

When University of Oklahoma President Boren and other Big 12 ADs and coaches talked this summer about expanding, something is in the works. It feels like Big 12 is always on the verge of falling apart, unless it can do something big and remarkable, such as stealing at least 2 teams from the power conferences. This may take some time to persuade teams, such as Florida State and Clemson, to move and figure out finances and exits. We heard for years that Big 10 was after Rutgers and Maryland, before it happened. It seems that, if the Big 12 was after BYU, Cin., Boise State, Memphis, or other G5 schools, invitations would have already happened. On the other hand, the Big 12 is doomed if even one of the current schools leaves, such as when Oklahoma unhitches its wagons with Oklahoma State and Texas. Whatever happens with Big 12 will affect Sunbelt, and FCS teams need to get lined up for the Sunbelt. Although no other conference appears to be looking to expand now, and they have tv contracts and finances in place, a conference could make a move. Even a wandering team such as UMass could affect the Sunbelt.

Sunbelt commissioner has already lived through an almost total depletion of teams when he was comm. of the WAC, which eventually resulted in no WAC football. He must always be ready, on edge, evaluate and re-evaluate, look to the future, and find replacement teams from FCS because the Sunbelt is final place for a G5 conference to acquire replacement teams. Every conference commissioner must be ready to respond for such situations as when Wisconsin's Alvarez has an unexpected, impromptu hallway meeting with Nebraska's Osbourne at some football or NCAA meeting.

In the past, teams/schools could be picky about which teams they admitted into their conferences or which conference a school desired. Those days are long gone, except for Pac 12 and Big 10 having the luxury of picking desirable teams on both athletic and academic criteria. Any team, which has a chance to join a better conference (athletically, academically, or financially), including the Sunbelt, but refuses to pursue it to wait for a better offer, has not been paying attention to the changing college football world. I think waiting for a better offer is a bad strategy, if that is what Mo. State and JMU are doing. FCS teams should recognize the important stepping stone purpose the Sunbelt serves, instead of sneering about all the weaknesses of the Sunbelt. Watch Georgia Southern and Appalachian State spend a couple years in the Sunbelt and then take their spots in Conference USA. I think EKU and CCU will receive Sunbelt invitations within 30 days.

Baldy
August 8th, 2015, 06:30 AM
I like this topic very much. I agree that there is another conference realignment brewing. Over the last few years, look who is not paying attention to conference grouping: Notre Dame, BYU, and the Big 12 (big risk is that there is no playoff selection for ND, BYU, or Big 12 teams, which will impact how they view their current situations). Until recently, the Big 12 was bragging about how happy its members were with only 10 teams and no championship game. Big 12 teams barely stayed together, so they had to have happy pronouncements about their final members/teams. Even though the college football playoff committee announced that conference championship games would be significant factors in the final playoff ranking, Big 12 ignored it and the Big 12's motto became "One True Champion" (i.e., every team plays every conference team and we don't need a champ. game, forgetting that it means Big 12 plays one less game).

But, Big 12 ended up last year with two champions with same record, and Baylor and TCU were not selected. Big 12 has been stating it can get a waiver for allowing 10 teams to have a championship game. But how many years have they stated that and nothing has happened with that waiver request, if it has ever been formally made to NCAA. I believe it has been informally discussed with NCAA but no formal request has been made because of the perceived unfairness to other conferences (and therefore, it would be rejected in a vote by other conferences).

When University of Oklahoma President Boren and other Big 12 ADs and coaches talked this summer about expanding, something is in the works. It feels like Big 12 is always on the verge of falling apart, unless it can do something big and remarkable, such as stealing at least 2 teams from the power conferences. This may take some time to persuade teams, such as Florida State and Clemson, to move and figure out finances and exits. We heard for years that Big 10 was after Rutgers and Maryland, before it happened. It seems that, if the Big 12 was after BYU, Cin., Boise State, Memphis, or other G5 schools, invitations would have already happened. On the other hand, the Big 12 is doomed if even one of the current schools leaves, such as when Oklahoma unhitches its wagons with Oklahoma State and Texas. Whatever happens with Big 12 will affect Sunbelt, and FCS teams need to get lined up for the Sunbelt. Although no other conference appears to be looking to expand now, and they have tv contracts and finances in place, a conference could make a move. Even a wandering team such as UMass could affect the Sunbelt.

Sunbelt commissioner has already lived through an almost total depletion of teams when he was comm. of the WAC, which eventually resulted in no WAC football. He must always be ready, on edge, evaluate and re-evaluate, look to the future, and find replacement teams from FCS because the Sunbelt is final place for a G5 conference to acquire replacement teams. Every conference commissioner must be ready to respond for such situations as when Wisconsin's Alvarez has an unexpected, impromptu hallway meeting with Nebraska's Osbourne at some football or NCAA meeting.

In the past, teams/schools could be picky about which teams they admitted into their conferences or which conference a school desired. Those days are long gone, except for Pac 12 and Big 10 having the luxury of picking desirable teams on both athletic and academic criteria. Any team, which has a chance to join a better conference (athletically, academically, or financially), including the Sunbelt, but refuses to pursue it to wait for a better offer, has not been paying attention to the changing college football world. I think waiting for a better offer is a bad strategy, if that is what Mo. State and JMU are doing. FCS teams should recognize the important stepping stone purpose the Sunbelt serves, instead of sneering about all the weaknesses of the Sunbelt. Watch Georgia Southern and Appalachian State spend a couple years in the Sunbelt and then take their spots in Conference USA. I think EKU and CCU will receive Sunbelt invitations within 30 days.

Nice post. If I remember correctly, the Conference Championship Game waiver will be voted on by the NCAA in April??? From what I understand, it's pretty much a done deal.

superman7515
August 8th, 2015, 07:36 AM

Didn't the Big 12 say they weren't interested and were going to sit it out for a while?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25175404/no-conference-championship-game-for-big-12-commissioner-says

PHOENIX -- In almost a complete reversal from last week, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said Tuesday his league has little interest in adding a conference championship game.

The conference had been the only one among the Power Five left out of the first College Football Playoff. It is also the only major conference that does not play a conference championship game.

Last week, Bowlsby said during the CFP spring meetings the Big 12 was at a “disadvantage” if it didn't add a 13th game (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25168082/bob-bowlsby-big-12-will-probably-move-toward-championship-game). The statement came after a source said Bowlsby “pushed” CFP Selection Chairman chairman Jeff Long for clarification on why either TCU or Baylor was left out of the top four.

"What we heard is if we don't go to a championship game, we're at a disadvantage,” Bowlsby told reporters last week. "All things being equal, 13 games are better than 12 games. That's what we heard. So that gives us clear enough direction that we're coming in at least at a modest disadvantage. We need to do whatever we can to mitigate that."

"I surmise we will be moving in that direction [of a championship game]," he added, "knowing what we now know."

On Tuesday, he essentially changed that opinion 180 degrees.

"I think we all believe that one year is not a long enough trial to draw any conclusions," Bowlsby said. "We may find ourselves in better shape than some other conferences as a result of our model rather than in spite of our model."

Bowlsby pushed for adding another member at the league meetings and there was neither the desire for a 12th member, nor for a championship game, from the athletic directors. Bowlsby himself said they would continue to push for deregulation of the championship game requirements, but he knew he didn't have the votes to get a championship game passed for the Big 12 as too many schools in the conference are adamantly opposed to it.

RootinFerDukes
August 8th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Unfortunately, jmu's president appears to be delusional and doesn't understand the conference pecking order. Cusa will take current sbc schools when they look to expand, not current Fcs. I think there's also a fear that we'll end up in the far flung, academically inferior sbc while app and ga southern leave us behind. They're afraid of being stuck in an awful conference with no peers.
At least in the CAA we have rivals in Richmond, William and Mary, Delaware and Villanova.
The CAA looks like the Ivy League compared to the sun belt.

Cocky
August 8th, 2015, 08:59 AM
They seem to be all over the place..... I think CCU would fit right in..... at least as much as ULM does

App State - 15k students - endowment $91m
Ark. State - 14k students - endowment $52m
UALR - 12k students - endowment $136m
Ga Southern - 20k students - endowment $46m
Ga State - 32lk students - endowment $133m
UL Lafayette - 17k students - endowment $112m
ULM - 8K students - endowment $23m
USA - 16k students - endowment $479m
Tx State - 31k students - endowment $139m
UTA - 41k students - endowment $127m
Troy - 19k students - endowment $48m

bonus....
EKU - 16k students - endowment $54m

troys numbers include all campuses. The main campus has around 5,000 and according to state budget records the total enrollment is 13-14,000.

CasualFan
August 8th, 2015, 10:35 AM
I forgot that our Board of Trustees is delusional. Of course they'd jump at a chance to move up. I hope EKU and the other unnamed schools presented extremely well.

PAllen
August 8th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Do you guys really think that the SBC is turning away from Liberty at this point because of Falwell? The SBC is a far flung conference that is just barely holding things together while they live in constant fear of the next time CUSA comes calling for a team. There's probably more to the theory that Liberty would instantly be at or near the top of the conference, and would then be one of the first to go with the next realignment. Looking at some of the other schools in the conference, I just don't see where the SBC cares about ideological fit.

At the end of the night, even if she's not your type, when she's willing and the best of the rest, you take her home. Unless you think she's going to eat all your food, drink all your drink, then head over to your neighbor's place and leave you alone with nothing.

superman7515
August 8th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Unless you think she's going to eat all your food, drink all your drink, then head over to your neighbor's place and leave you alone with nothing.

What the hell kind of heifers, hooty-hoos, skip skops, skanks, and scalawags did you run into in the Lehigh Valley!?!

clenz
August 8th, 2015, 01:02 PM
That's an old UNI number. It's pushing 90m at this point

What if I told you that half the schools on that list have no business in the FBS. Here is MVFC. CAA, Big Sky would probably be better as well.

MVFC-
Ill State - 20k students $88m
Indiana State - 13k students- $47m
Missouri State- 22k students $66m
NDSU- 15k - $126m
UNI- 12k $65m
USD- 12k - $182m
SDSU- 12k- $97m
SIU- 18k -$100m
WIU- 11k - $43m
YSU- 14k -$226m

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 8th, 2015, 01:17 PM
What if I told you that half the schools on that list have no business in the FBS. Here is MVFC. CAA, Big Sky would probably be better as well.

MVFC-
Ill State - 20k students $88m
Indiana State - 13k students- $47m
Missouri State- 22k students $66m
NDSU- 15k - $126m
UNI- 12k $65m
USD- 12k - $182m
SDSU- 12k- $97m
SIU- 18k -$100m
WIU- 11k - $43m
YSU- 14k -$226m

I never would have guessed YSU as the school with the highest endowment in the MVFC. Must be that old steel money still circulating around. U of Pitt has benefited from it just a tad.....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 8th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Unfortunately, jmu's president appears to be delusional and doesn't understand the conference pecking order. Cusa will take current sbc schools when they look to expand, not current Fcs. I think there's also a fear that we'll end up in the far flung, academically inferior sbc while app and ga southern leave us behind. They're afraid of being stuck in an awful conference with no peers.
At least in the CAA we have rivals in Richmond, William and Mary, Delaware and Villanova.
The CAA looks like the Ivy League compared to the sun belt.

JMU, if they could get their bball program going, would be a solid fit for the AAC. Academically and geographically the school fits in pretty well. I could easily see the Dukes developing a nice rivalry with Navy, ECU and Temple. Having access to DC could help land a couple regional "home" games against national FBS opponents.

JMU is doing the right thing by waiting imo. See what happens with Cincinnati and the Big 12 over the next year or two and go from there.

centennial
August 8th, 2015, 01:38 PM
JMU, if they could get their bball program going, would be a solid fit for the AAC. Academically and geographically the school fits in pretty well. I could easily see the Dukes developing a nice rivalry with Navy, ECU and Temple. Having access to DC could help land a couple regional "home" games against national FBS opponents.

JMU is doing the right thing by waiting imo. See what happens with Cincinnati and the Big 12 over the next year or two and go from there.

If the Big 12 loses OU, OSU and Texas then there will be a lot of raiding going on. The SunBelt is already nervous about it IMO. The MW could possibly open up 2 spots- I hope NDSU and Montana take them. Not sure if they would offer.

PAllen
August 8th, 2015, 01:46 PM
What the hell kind of heifers, hooty-hoos, skip skops, skanks, and scalawags did you run into in the Lehigh Valley!?!

Lol. None of the above. Just trying to come up with a good analogy for Liberty taking all of what the SBC would give it before bolting for another conference.

RootinFerDukes
August 8th, 2015, 01:55 PM
If the Big 12 loses OU, OSU and Texas then there will be a lot of raiding going on. The SunBelt is already nervous about it IMO. The MW could possibly open up 2 spots- I hope NDSU and Montana take them. Not sure if they would offer.

I think I'll shoot myself in the foot if Coastal, EKU, NDSU and Montana are all FBS and JMU isn't. FCS continues to become more and more watered down. Hey... at least we may win another championship again...

Montana has had WAC invitations in the past that they turned down and it was even on sportscenter. I remember from 2010. They could be a MWC team right now. I think I read that the montana legislature doesn't want to separate UM and Montana State.

PantherRob82
August 8th, 2015, 02:11 PM
When did Missouri State turn down the Sun Belt?

RootinFerDukes
August 8th, 2015, 02:18 PM
When did Missouri State turn down the Sun Belt?
not sure if that one was as public as the jmu one was, SBC commissioner called us out in a quote. message board rumors that missouri state was a favored candidate, but that their university leaders weren't convinced that the sbc was a good fit for them compared to the mvc.
they're also a basketball first school and it would clearly be a downgrade in that sport. mvc = multi-bid, sun belt is one bid.

centennial
August 8th, 2015, 02:36 PM
not sure if that one was as public as the jmu one was, SBC commissioner called us out in a quote. message board rumors that missouri state was a favored candidate, but that their university leaders weren't convinced that the sbc was a good fit for them compared to the mvc.
they're also a basketball first school and it would clearly be a downgrade in that sport. mvc = multi-bid, sun belt is one bid.
Academics, perception and basketball. JMU, Missouri State etc won't join the Sun Belt.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 8th, 2015, 03:35 PM
I think I'll shoot myself in the foot if Coastal, EKU, NDSU and Montana are all FBS and JMU isn't. FCS continues to become more and more watered down. Hey... at least we may win another championship again...

Montana has had WAC invitations in the past that they turned down and it was even on sportscenter. I remember from 2010. They could be a MWC team right now. I think I read that the montana legislature doesn't want to separate UM and Montana State.

Yeah that's really a statewide thing that the legislature may follow. They go with us or it's a no go I'm pretty certain. Also, I don't look at FBS as some big prize. I can't speak for all but I think that is a fairly prevalent stance amongst Montana fans. I never wanted to even look at the WAC back then cuz it was easy to see what all was coming. FCS has added as much strength as it has lost. It is as hard now to win as it ever has been.

I don't know why any fan base thinks going to the SBC is anything to wish for. Even if you get there you think you are going on up the chain...forget it. You are gonna be paying for a house well beyond your means in a really ****ty neighborhood.

I was thrilled we turned away from that invite or inquiry as it were. We'd be in the damn SB now and I would no longer be buying season tickets that i am damn sure of...and yes I know they would be just fine without me.

When there is playoffs for the G5, I'm listening, until then there is nothing about it that is appealing.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 8th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Lol. None of the above. Just trying to come up with a good analogy for Liberty taking all of what the SBC would give it before bolting for another conference.

Where would be Liberty's next stop? The MAC wouldn't give them the time of day and CUSA would've invited them by now if they wanted them and only seems to care about "media markets" anyways.

I'm not sure exactly why the Sun Belt schools aren't interested in Liberty, but it isn't because they'd be too good.

smallcollegefbfan
August 8th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Academics, perception and basketball. JMU, Missouri State etc won't join the Sun Belt.

If a team wants to be in the 2nd tier in football, and I understand if a team does not, they better take any invite given to them. If you like FCS and won't mind being in the official 3rd tier then that is fine to stick here but if a school would like to be FBS and at least in the second tier, they better jump when given the chance. I don't fault them if they want to stay but I have heard folks from JMU wanting to move up and if they still do they should take any offer.

With that said, I don't blame Missouri State. They are better off in the MVFC since they are a basketball school first.

Cocky
August 8th, 2015, 03:49 PM
JSU has told the SB they are not interested at this time.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 8th, 2015, 04:20 PM
If a team wants to be in the 2nd tier in football, and I understand if a team does not, they better take any invite given to them. If you like FCS and won't mind being in the official 3rd tier then that is fine to stick here but if a school would like to be FBS and at least in the second tier, they better jump when given the chance. I don't fault them if they want to stay but I have heard folks from JMU wanting to move up and if they still do they should take any offer.

With that said, I don't blame Missouri State. They are better off in the MVFC since they are a basketball school first.

The top 30 or 40 in FCS are as officially 2nd tier as 95% of the G5 so it doesn't really matter what the term used is.

centennial
August 8th, 2015, 05:15 PM

Takes one disgruntled school to sue. I am calling Liberty. The reality is that nationally ranked universities will not join a conference with regional universities. The Sun Belt has a couple of exceptions. Most of the CAA, MVFC, Big Sky and a few other teams want to be with teams that make meaningful games. I would rather NDSU be independent like BYU and play a few mid-western P5 teams, and have home-home with MAC and Mountain West than be in a conference where we are a thousand miles from the nearest team.

Baldy
August 8th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Do you guys really think that the SBC is turning away from Liberty at this point because of Falwell? The SBC is a far flung conference that is just barely holding things together while they live in constant fear of the next time CUSA comes calling for a team. There's probably more to the theory that Liberty would instantly be at or near the top of the conference, and would then be one of the first to go with the next realignment. Looking at some of the other schools in the conference, I just don't see where the SBC cares about ideological fit.

At the end of the night, even if she's not your type, when she's willing and the best of the rest, you take her home. Unless you think she's going to eat all your food, drink all your drink, then head over to your neighbor's place and leave you alone with nothing.

xlolx

RootinFerDukes
August 8th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Yeah that's really a statewide thing that the legislature may follow. They go with us or it's a no go I'm pretty certain. Also, I don't look at FBS as some big prize. I can't speak for all but I think that is a fairly prevalent stance amongst Montana fans. I never wanted to even look at the WAC back then cuz it was easy to see what all was coming. FCS has added as much strength as it has lost. It is as hard now to win as it ever has been.

I don't know why any fan base thinks going to the SBC is anything to wish for. Even if you get there you think you are going on up the chain...forget it. You are gonna be paying for a house well beyond your means in a really ****ty neighborhood.

I was thrilled we turned away from that invite or inquiry as it were. We'd be in the damn SB now and I would no longer be buying season tickets that i am damn sure of...and yes I know they would be just fine without me.

When there is playoffs for the G5, I'm listening, until then there is nothing about it that is appealing.

Our fans talk about how ndsu and Montana are as well supported as they are because they're the biggest sports ticket in their state.
No pro sports within reasonable distance, no bcs programs in-state or in most bordering states. No fbs teams in state.
JMU is now fourth fiddle in the state and our attendance is declining accordingly. I'm actually very appreciative of how well supported we are considering all the local entertainment competition. We have it good really, even when you have to watch fans become disinterested with each passing year.
The sbc isn't anything special and app and ga southern would be the only games I would truly care about. There is increased media exposure, plus finally not having to explain to other alums how we don't play division 2 football.
It wouldn't be as bad if our region hadn't been depleted of the strength it had at the Fcs level. Anyone of quality outside of ourselves and Delaware are all long gone. New programs created in the last decade are moving up quicker.
The playoffs are the true benefit of Fcs at the end of the day.

BisonFan02
August 8th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Our fans talk about how ndsu and Montana are as well supported as they are because they're the biggest sports ticket in their state.
No pro sports within reasonable distance, no bcs programs in-state or in most bordering states. No fbs teams in state.
JMU is now fourth fiddle in the state and our attendance is declining accordingly. I'm actually very appreciative of how well supported we are considering all the local entertainment competition. We have it good really, even when you have to watch fans become disinterested with each passing year.
The sbc isn't anything special and app and ga southern would be the only games I would truly care about. There is increased media exposure, plus finally not having to explain to other alums how we don't play division 2 football.
It wouldn't be as bad if our region hadn't been depleted of the strength it had at the Fcs level. Anyone of quality outside of ourselves and Delaware are all long gone. New programs created in the last decade are moving up quicker.

The bold is insane.....I get having to explain to FBS team fans that FCS football is DI....but if you ACTUALLY went to a I-AA/FCS school...that shouldn't be an issue.

RootinFerDukes
August 8th, 2015, 06:27 PM
The bold is insane.....I get having to explain to FBS team fans that FCS football is DI....but if you ACTUALLY went to a I-AA/FCS school...that shouldn't be an issue.

If you have to explain to someone that you don't compete for the same championship that the big boys compete for, no matter what you say isn't going to get "division 2" out of their head.
It doesn't help when UVA, tech and odu fans use every opportunity they get to point out that Fcs is "really division 2."

UNDOregon
August 8th, 2015, 06:34 PM
I am curious if the Sunbelt commissioner knows something about conference realignment that is about to happen.

Big 12 commissioner announced in May that Big 12 has little interest in adding a CCG. It was May. He had no choice but to say that. For this football season, he didn't have 2 additional teams lined up and there was no waiver. They are also saying now that it is too early to tell, after only one playoff year, how playoff teams will be selected. It is not too early to tell. Playoff committee has repeatedly told the Big 12 Comm. that conferences with champ. games receive preference. Big 12 is not speaking consistently and is not speaking with one voice. Oklahoma is either speaking a Big 12 Conference-office approved message ("Big 12 wants to expand.") or Oklahoma is acting and speaking on its own behalf, contrary to the head office. Oklahoma could also be spreading a conference-office approved informal message, for some purpose, such as letting all teams in country know that Big 12 might want to talk to interested teams. We should not be fooled by the happy camper messages from the Big 12. Those teams must be having some nasty conference meetings, phone calls, and emails.

At this time, teams can pick their divisions. Except for Liberty. But, what if that freedom stops because of some action by the P5 or the NCAA, with a total prohibition on moving up to FBS or making it nearly impossible to meet new move-up requirements? FBS teams which do not meet new requirements might be grandfathered in and can stay FBS. All other FCS teams with FBS ambitions are locked in to FCS. It is not in the P5 conferences' interest to continue to allow more teams into FBS; it dilutes their voting power and ability to control decisions and money. Teams such as JMU should not assume that they will always have a choice of which division or that they will be able to choose whenever the time feels right for them. JMU does not control the NCAA's timing. I am assuming that JMU is ready to move up and that the only thing holding JMU back is wanting a better offer.

The P5 teams want to control the money. Interestingly, the P5/P6 conferences have been talked into concessions favoring the G5. Back awhile ago, the FBS conferences voted that any team in top 6 ranking would be guaranteed a big bowl game; in 2004, Utah ended up undefeated and number 6. Bingo. First BCS buster. Now it is even easier for a G5 to get a big bowl game by being the top ranked G5. Boise State will be regularly taking those bowl bids because their biggest rival for those bowl games, Byu, moved out of conference to independence and irrelevance. These concessions indicate that the P5 does not want to break away from the NCAA or the G5. It also indicates that a Sunbelt team such as Georgia Southern, if undefeated, is not that far away from a big bowl game. It may not be 1 of the 4 spots in the mythical, fraudulent playoff championship but it is a big bowl game. Take it. Show it off, to fans and recruits. With the Sunbelt logo. In spite of P5 control, FCS teams can nevertheless figure out how to benefit when they want to move up if they analyze carefully, think about these possibilities, and take what is available.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 8th, 2015, 06:44 PM

Fans talk about things with an information bias that suits their point as well. Those things are true, it is also true that our population is spread across a state that would reach down to swipe Texas if we put a pin in the corner and played that game...it's f'n large and our populateion is now at a million.

You seem to be saying that JMU going to the SBC is going to rev up the base. That could be, I don't know. You should check and see how much crowds have grown at most of the form FCS schools once they get where they are going. You think it's an upgrade when you actually look at it and I'll be surprised.

I don't see how anyone sees it as a step up but my perspective is certqinly different. BTW, the BCS and pro sports thing don't really wash either if you think about it. Most all fans that se anything see it on TV and very few actually go to the games (relative to who sees it0 and we have those exact same barriers here. We can watch other teams on TV just like anyone else. In fact, some of us do. Dloesn't keep anyone from going and enjoying a fine Saturday afternoon at WaGriz.

FargoBison
August 8th, 2015, 06:58 PM
I am curious if the Sunbelt commissioner knows something about conference realignment that is about to happen.

Big 12 commissioner announced in May that Big 12 has little interest in adding a CCG. It was May. He had no choice but to say that. For this football season, he didn't have 2 additional teams lined up and there was no waiver. They are also saying now that it is too early to tell, after only one playoff year, how playoff teams will be selected. It is not too early to tell. Playoff committee has repeatedly told the Big 12 Comm. that conferences with champ. games receive preference. Big 12 is not speaking consistently and is not speaking with one voice. Oklahoma is either speaking a Big 12 Conference-office approved message ("Big 12 wants to expand.") or Oklahoma is acting and speaking on its own behalf, contrary to the head office. Oklahoma could also be spreading a conference-office approved informal message, for some purpose, such as letting all teams in country know that Big 12 might want to talk to interested teams. We should not be fooled by the happy camper messages from the Big 12. Those teams must be having some nasty conference meetings, phone calls, and emails.

At this time, teams can pick their divisions. Except for Liberty. But, what if that freedom stops because of some action by the P5 or the NCAA, with a total prohibition on moving up to FBS or making it nearly impossible to meet new move-up requirements? FBS teams which do not meet new requirements might be grandfathered in and can stay FBS. All other FCS teams with FBS ambitions are locked in to FCS. It is not in the P5 conferences' interest to continue to allow more teams into FBS; it dilutes their voting power and ability to control decisions and money. Teams such as JMU should not assume that they will always have a choice of which division or that they will be able to choose whenever the time feels right for them. JMU does not control the NCAA's timing. I am assuming that JMU is ready to move up and that the only thing holding JMU back is wanting a better offer.

The P5 teams want to control the money. Interestingly, the P5/P6 conferences have been talked into concessions favoring the G5. Back awhile ago, the FBS conferences voted that any team in top 6 ranking would be guaranteed a big bowl game; in 2004, Utah ended up undefeated and number 6. Bingo. First BCS buster. Now it is even easier for a G5 to get a big bowl game by being the top ranked G5. Boise State will be regularly taking those bowl bids because their biggest rival for those bowl games, Byu, moved out of conference to independence and irrelevance. These concessions indicate that the P5 does not want to break away from the NCAA or the G5. It also indicates that a Sunbelt team such as Georgia Southern, if undefeated, is not that far away from a big bowl game. It may not be 1 of the 4 spots in the mythical, fraudulent playoff championship but it is a big bowl game. Take it. Show it off, to fans and recruits. With the Sunbelt logo. In spite of P5 control, FCS teams can nevertheless figure out how to benefit when they want to move up if they analyze carefully, think about these possibilities, and take what is available.

I don't think the P5 cares how many G5 teams or leagues there are. They can do whatever they want or they will just leave, the G5 has zero power or influence over them. The G5 is just happy to get whatever scraps the P5 is willing to leave behind for them.

superman7515
August 8th, 2015, 07:18 PM

I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that 90% of Delaware's current students do not know the school plays Division 1 football.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 8th, 2015, 08:10 PM
I don't think the P5 cares how many G5 teams or leagues there are. They can do whatever they want or they will just leave, the G5 has zero power or influence over them. The G5 is just happy to get whatever scraps the P5 is willing to leave behind for them.

They do to a point. While football does drive the bus basketball remains extremely important both regionally and institutionally. As long as college basketball moves the needle in key locations like the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, and it does more than college football, certain non-P5 conferences have power. You'd be surprised how much influence, relatively speaking, a conference like the WCC has in college basketball with Gonzaga and BYU.

All these drastic changes simply are not going to happen. The big time college football conference will ensure they get there's without completely screwing up the landscape of college football and college basketball.

UNDOregon
August 8th, 2015, 08:20 PM

I hear what you are saying and I thought the P5 was headed in the direction of walking away, but now I am not so sure. The P5 will always exert its muscle over the G5, but I don't feel fatalistic about it. The G5 conferences have some input, even if it is not on an equal footing. It seems the P5 needs the NCAA, for its other 90 or so playoffs/championships, and its revenue generation, its governance, its enforcement, and its organization. Plus, there are flickers of deference to the G5 over the last 10 years. Remember when a team could only count a win over FCS team once every two years for bowl eligibility purposes? That restriction is long gone. Revenue is also shared with the G5, including the Sunbelt. Little things like that give me hope that all teams will stay in the NCAA. Those little scraps that float down to Sunbelt teams are more than what FCS teams get now, which I think generates alot of the FCS interest in FBS division. I don't know if FCS playoff teams make money or receive cash from NCAA; I have always assumed that there is no cash distribution from the NCAA because there was no positive net profit from the playoffs as a whole.

The biggest thing hanging over the FBS is the untapped billions of dollars that could be made with at least a 16-team true championship. The P5 must realize that they need to remain NCAA members until the playoffs expand so that they can capture that cash. They must also realize the G5 can provide the 14th, 15th, and 16th ranked, easy-win seeds in a bracket. Would be interesting matchups and cinderellas, just like March Madness. The revenue generated would dwarf anything basketball brings in. The NCAA would lose its nonprofit corporate status!! And FCS teams would be tempted to move up.

hebmskebm
August 8th, 2015, 08:31 PM
What I think the G5 schools want most, and are ultimately angling for, is the end of P5/FCS games. They want to become the sole recipients of that sweet guarantee money. And they're more than willing to accommodate the whims of the P5 if they can get that in return. They're ok with firmly defining themselves as the second tier, just as long as they can put significant distance between themselves and the third tier.

UNDOregon
August 8th, 2015, 08:51 PM
What I think the G5 schools want most, and are ultimately angling for, is the end of P5/FCS games. They want to become the sole recipients of that sweet guarantee money. And they're more than willing to accommodate the whims of the P5 if they can get that in return. They're ok with firmly defining themselves as the second tier, just as long as they can put significant distance between themselves and the third tier.

Interesting. If FCS teams are cut off from the sweet money, then it seems that more FCS teams would move up, to get it. Every Big Sky team would be interested in moving up as an entire conference!!

BisonFan02
August 8th, 2015, 09:18 PM
Interesting. If FCS teams are cut off from the sweet money, then it seems that more FCS teams would move up, to get it. Every Big Sky team would be interested in moving up as an entire conference!!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-goew7n_y3gQ/VBEYVEvYaDI/AAAAAAAAZic/U8HMs7hmAdI/s1600/well,%2Bthere%2Bit%2Bis.%2Bthe%2Bstupidest%2Bf%2Bu cking%2Bthing%2Bi'll%2Bread%2Ball%2Bday..jpg

BisonFan02
August 8th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Honest question for the Ga Southern and App St. fans....Coastal wasn't good enough for the SoCoN right?

clenz
August 8th, 2015, 09:29 PM
Honest question for the Ga Southern and App St. fans....Coastal wasn't good enough for the SoCoN right?
Hey, they've changed that much in the last 24 months

ursus arctos horribilis
August 8th, 2015, 09:47 PM

Man, you were doing so well until this one. That is not even close to what the BSC wants form anything I've ever seen and on top of that it's not even possible unless something drastic changes. The only two teams poised right now are UM & MSU and we don't want what is out there right now. on top of that the P5 games don't mean too much cuz we don't need em' to pay the bills. It's a straight across trade to play them or have a home game...doesn't matter either way.

344Johnson
August 8th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Man, you were doing so well until this one. That is not even close to what the BSC wants form anything I've ever seen and on top of that it's not even possible unless something drastic changes. The only two teams poised right now are UM & MSU and we don't want what is out there right now. on top of that the P5 games don't mean too much cuz we don't need em' to pay the bills. It's a straight across trade to play them or have a home game...doesn't matter either way.

Forgive him. He's been reading the rantings of a madman on the UND board. They have some guy who is convinced the conference will move up in '17 or '18.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 8th, 2015, 11:23 PM
Forgive him. He's been reading the rantings of a madman on the UND board. They have some guy who is convinced the conference will move up in '17 or '18.

Is there some reason this guy would have credibility on the matter? We know at this point it is against NCAA rules, I haven't heard of the BSC taking them to court, I don't think using the WAC/BSC springboard will be open for that long, and only two schools maybe 3 would be ready in that short time period. Now if we're dealing with today's facts it ain't possible. If the guy is working in the BSC office and knows something that ain't made the news then this is a big story.

Does no one challenge the logic of this ****?

UNDOregon
August 8th, 2015, 11:30 PM

Well, ha, I thought people would recognize it as a joke. It was meant to be a short, frivolous comment on the BSC teams playing FBS teams on a regular basis and having to do something drastic to keep those paydays. I realize it is an NCAA impossibility which is what I thought would make it an obvious joke. Too many assumptions on my part as to how the sentence would be interpreted.

To be clear, I don't believe anything I wrote in that sentence. I believe that the BSC teams can survive without those paydays. I totally agree that the BSC is not looking to move up (and can't imagine that it would ever be part of its mission/vision) and I also have no knowledge that there are BSC schools looking to move up at this time. I think the BSC schools like the FBS challenges. For example, I think Eastern Washington thoroughly enjoyed playing Washington and Oregon State in recent years.

I have been to 3 games at Montana and enjoyed everything about those games, the mountain setting, the stadium, the friendly fans, the campus, Missoula, the Moose Drool beer, etc. For two of those games, the opponent was not my alma mater; the opponents were Eastern Washington and Sacramento State. I spent money on flights and hotels for the sole purpose of experiencing game day at Montana. Twice. And then once for UND game. I also adopted Montana State as a team to follow when my nephew became a student there and now that my niece is there, but have not been to a game there, although I have been on campus. I also followed religiously the Pac 12, MWC, and WAC realignments, including reading the Missoulian on the WAC recruitment of Montana and Montana State. I have been to games at Oregon, Oregon State, and Portland State. I adopt teams to follow because I live in a state that is not the home of my alma mater. And I like college football too much to live without.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 8th, 2015, 11:47 PM
Well, ha, I thought people would recognize it as a joke. It was meant to be a short, frivolous comment on the BSC teams playing FBS teams on a regular basis and having to do something drastic to keep those paydays. I realize it is an NCAA impossibility which is what I thought would make it an obvious joke. Too many assumptions on my part as to how the sentence would be interpreted.

To be clear, I don't believe anything I wrote in that sentence. I believe that the BSC teams can survive without those paydays. I totally agree that the BSC is not looking to move up (and can't imagine that it would ever be part of its mission/vision) and I also have no knowledge that there are BSC schools looking to move up at this time. I think the BSC schools like the FBS challenges. For example, I think Eastern Washington thoroughly enjoyed playing Washington and Oregon State in recent years.

I have been to 3 games at Montana and enjoyed everything about those games, the mountain setting, the stadium, the friendly fans, the campus, Missoula, the Moose Drool beer, etc. For two of those games, the opponent was not my alma mater; the opponents were Eastern Washington and Sacramento State. I spent money on flights and hotels for the sole purpose of experiencing game day at Montana. Twice. And then once for UND game. I also adopted Montana State as a team to follow when my nephew became a student there and now that my niece is there, but have not been to a game there, although I have been on campus. I also followed religiously the Pac 12, MWC, and WAC realignments, including reading the Missoulian on the WAC recruitment of Montana and Montana State. I have been to games at Oregon, Oregon State, and Portland State. I adopt teams to follow because I live in a state that is not the home of my alma mater. And I like college football too much to live without.

Well, you were taken seriously because in all honesty I/we have this from a few UND guys over the past couple of years...so you begin to wonder where the infection started and then you see someone making a very subtle joke and it just iddn't take.

Glad to hear it was though. Honestly was admiring the logical look you were giving things. Don't be afraid to use a smiley to sell it at first until we get to know your style.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 8th, 2015, 11:59 PM
If you have to explain to someone that you don't compete for the same championship that the big boys compete for, no matter what you say isn't going to get "division 2" out of their head.
It doesn't help when UVA, tech and odu fans use every opportunity they get to point out that Fcs is "really division 2."

How very interesting that one of those last three schools did not stop on the Sun Belt express on their way to FBS, yet you claim the only solution for JMU is to go to the SBC.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 9th, 2015, 12:01 AM
Where would be Liberty's next stop? The MAC wouldn't give them the time of day and CUSA would've invited them by now if they wanted them and only seems to care about "media markets" anyways.

I'm not sure exactly why the Sun Belt schools aren't interested in Liberty, but it isn't because they'd be too good.

Liberty's next stop would be FBS independent, and I would take that prediction to the bank.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 9th, 2015, 12:04 AM

Benson knows when a ship is sinking, I'll grant you that.

CasualFan
August 9th, 2015, 12:10 AM
I don't count as one of the fans you mentioned, but you are correct. The reason was academics. I'm inferring that from an email that went to the faculty/staff distribution list at CCU.

Hey, they've changed that much in the last 24 months
Actually, we have made some pretty good changes.

Athletics: In the last 24 months, CCU opened a new baseball stadium, softball stadium, and tennis complex. Not remodeled or expanded, these were new from the ground up (they kept the field on the baseball and softball stadiums). It isn't new since the SoCon bid, but our basketball arena opened in 2012. Link to the athletics facilities page (http://www.goccusports.com/facilities/coas-facilities.html).

Academics: This year we raised admissions criteria. I won't say its a stellar increase, but it was raised.

Growth: Can't find a link, but I believe we are one of the 25 fastest growing universities in the country. The Myrtle Beach area is the second fastest growing metro area in the US (http://www.cbsnews.com/media/the-9-fastest-growing-metro-areas-in-the-us/3/). The TV market isn't great, but it is #102 according to Nielsen (http://www.tvb.org/media/file/Nielsen_2014-2015_DMA_Ranks.pdf).

I'm pretty sure they can point to a lot of reasons why the Sun Belt should take us. I just hope they don't.

344Johnson
August 9th, 2015, 12:27 AM
Is there some reason this guy would have credibility on the matter? We know at this point it is against NCAA rules, I haven't heard of the BSC taking them to court, I don't think using the WAC/BSC springboard will be open for that long, and only two schools maybe 3 would be ready in that short time period. Now if we're dealing with today's facts it ain't possible. If the guy is working in the BSC office and knows something that ain't made the news then this is a big story.

Does no one challenge the logic of this ****?

I'll try to keep it brief.

The poster on the UND board believes Idaho joining the Big Sky signifies that about half the Big Sky will be joining FBS using the Sun Belt as the vehicle. He claims to have open record requests from Idaho that validate his claims but refused to share his findings.

He also believes UND will be abandoning their current football setting to return to campus with a sizable stadium. This is all supposed to happen in the next couple of years.

I'm an odd dude (see my stance on football player punishment and political board posts). But this guy makes me look sane. He recently tied catastrophic events to a Jewish holiday or event of some sort. He is off his rocker.

In the forum's defense, most of them seem pretty skeptical of his ideas, but some believe he may be correct.

BisonFan02
August 9th, 2015, 12:47 AM
I don't count as one of the fans you mentioned, but you are correct. The reason was academics. I'm inferring that from an email that went to the faculty/staff distribution list at CCU.

Actually, we have made some pretty good changes.

Athletics: In the last 24 months, CCU opened a new baseball stadium, softball stadium, and tennis complex. Not remodeled or expanded, these were new from the ground up (they kept the field on the baseball and softball stadiums). It isn't new since the SoCon bid, but our basketball arena opened in 2012. Link to the athletics facilities page (http://www.goccusports.com/facilities/coas-facilities.html).

Academics: This year we raised admissions criteria. I won't say its a stellar increase, but it was raised.

Growth: Can't find a link, but I believe we are one of the 25 fastest growing universities in the country. The Myrtle Beach area is the second fastest growing metro area in the US (http://www.cbsnews.com/media/the-9-fastest-growing-metro-areas-in-the-us/3/). The TV market isn't great, but it is #102 according to Nielsen (http://www.tvb.org/media/file/Nielsen_2014-2015_DMA_Ranks.pdf).

I'm pretty sure they can point to a lot of reasons why the Sun Belt should take us. I just hope they don't.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?132025-SOCON-targets-VMI-ETSU-and-Mercer-that-s-it

I really don't see the flight risk in CCU, they are a long way from even considering FBS. ETSU looking to the OVC in the relatively near future seems much more likely.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?105616-CCU-to-CAA-or-SoCon

A couple of points on this discussion. Someone mentioned Richmond going to the CAA in all sports. Richmond burned some serious bridges when it left the CAA for the A-10 a few years back, so I doubt the Spiders would be headed back to the CAA for sports other than football any time soon. On Coastal Carolina and the SoCon, there was a strong push by CCU back in the mid-2000s to jump to the SoCon and it was pretty much rebuffed by most of the schools, including Appalachian State and Western Carolina. Several sources told me at the time that there was almost no support among the football programs for adding CCU, because of some of the recruiting practices that some CCU assistants were using against SoCon teams back then. I don't know if time has healed any of those hard feelings among SoCon members, or not.

and Apphole regarding a Sunbelt move...

If it is, Peacock won't go for it unless maybe UNCC comes with us. He's already stated that that isn't an option due to a lack of geographic or historic rivalries.

xlolx

Interesting reads and I know I've seen more some other places. Good point about academics and the SoCoN....but I know there was more commentary in other places as well.

Catsfan90
August 9th, 2015, 01:00 AM
If UNH ever got an invite to a G5 conference with the way division 1 is currently aligned I would hope they would say no. I would have zero interest in see them play in the FBS as it currently is. All I need to do is look south to Umass and see how horribly it worked out for them. I care more to see regional opponents and rivals than no name G5 schools.

UNDOregon
August 9th, 2015, 01:20 AM

Actually, I haven't read any UND boards in more than a year. I am not a regular reader of fan boards. I don't know anything about discussions related to BCS moveup, on UND or other sites. The entire conference moveup is a thought that has been in my head for a long time and is not coming from anything recent, and was not generated by anything to do with FCS or this board.

In Division II days, I and others thought the entire North Central Conference should have moved up to Div. IAA/FCS. I still feel sad that it didn't happen and the thought still sits in my brain. In Div. II days, I attended UND football games at Central Washington in Ellensburg and at Western Washington in Bellingham, both hundreds of miles away from me. It was as close as I could get to seeing UND football live other than flying to Grand Forks. Now, UND sports teams play BSC games in Portland all the time against Portland State. Saving the NCC would not have gotten the UND teams to Portland, so it is good no one listened to me.

I am determined today to get to 10 posts.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2015, 01:29 AM
I'll try to keep it brief.

The poster on the UND board believes Idaho joining the Big Sky signifies that about half the Big Sky will be joining FBS using the Sun Belt as the vehicle. He claims to have open record requests from Idaho that validate his claims but refused to share his findings.

He also believes UND will be abandoning their current football setting to return to campus with a sizable stadium. This is all supposed to happen in the next couple of years.

I'm an odd dude (see my stance on football player punishment and political board posts). But this guy makes me look sane. He recently tied catastrophic events to a Jewish holiday or event of some sort. He is off his rocker.

In the forum's defense, most of them seem pretty skeptical of his ideas, but some believe he may be correct.

Well, we have some reporters at our disposal here so I guess we'll go for our own open records request from Idaho. xlolx

I'm glad he's not taken seriously by most. He at least came up with a story that has some thought into it, i'll give him that cuz it's not impossible except that UM & MSU turning down something like the WAC but now willing to join the Island of lost toys in the SBC...hey...SBC...BSC...this fella is on to something!:D

RootinFerDukes
August 9th, 2015, 05:27 AM
How very interesting that one of those last three schools did not stop on the Sun Belt express on their way to FBS, yet you claim the only solution for JMU is to go to the SBC.

I never said the sbc was remotely sexy, I just realize it's the only present door into fbs. It's closing anyways. Ccu isn't going to hesitate to take it.
Odu is in cusa because of their market. Cusa has proven they're only adding teams in big markets. It's going to prove to be a pointless practice at the end of the day.
For every odu, there's an fau, fiu, Charlotte, etc that aren't bringing that many fans to games and may never will.

In the sbc, ga state is a joke of a program and can't even pay fans to show up for the full game. That cash drop was hilarious.

RootinFerDukes
August 9th, 2015, 05:30 AM
Liberty's next stop would be FBS independent, and I would take that prediction to the bank.

So they're going to sue the NCAA? If it happens, at least the CAA can move up as a conference then.

rokamortis
August 9th, 2015, 06:04 AM
Interesting reads and I know I've seen more some other places. Good point about academics and the SoCoN....but I know there was more commentary in other places as well.

The commentary is interesting, there are a lot of theories out there.

I'm sure there are many reasons but I do think for the SoCon it has to do with too many in-state schools and our athletic budget. Furman, Wofford, and The Citadel are higher academic schools but also don't spend as much on athletics as we do - so I think those are the two biggest factors. Rumors a few years ago was that App State, Georgia Southern and even Elon supported Coastal but the in-state schools didn't. I get it, schools want to be with like minded schools and although it sucked at the time but it is what it is. Look at who they replaced App State, Georgia Southern, College of Charleston, Elon, and Davidson with ... they lost their best teams in a variety of sports and replace them with VMI who isn't very competitive in the main sports, and two startup football programs. It was more about institutional fit than athletic competitiveness.

Coastal has also tried to get into the CAA but has face similar road blocks, probably for similar reasons.

Given those road blocks the Sun Belt actually looks like a decent option. I think if the SoCon or CAA would have welcomed us in then we wouldn't even be interested in the Sun Belt - but now that App State and Georgia Southern are in the SBC it makes sense to me. The Big South is a great geographically compact conference, but it is mostly private schools and the football side of things is built on an unstable foundation. The Sun Belt gives us an opportunity to compete with other regional public institutions with similar budgets and attitudes. I like FCS football, this is just an opportunity that could have a positive effect on the entire university.

OL FU
August 9th, 2015, 06:14 AM
The commentary is interesting, there are a lot of theories out there.

I'm sure there are many reasons but I do think for the SoCon it has to do with too many in-state schools and our athletic budget. Furman, Wofford, and The Citadel are higher academic schools but also don't spend as much on athletics as we do - so I think those are the two biggest factors. Rumors a few years ago was that App State, Georgia Southern and even Elon supported Coastal but the in-state schools didn't. I get it, schools want to be with like minded schools and although it sucked at the time but it is what it is. Look at who they replaced App State, Georgia Southern, College of Charleston, Elon, and Davidson with ... they lost their best teams in a variety of sports and replace them with VMI who isn't very competitive in the main sports, and two startup football programs. It was more about institutional fit than athletic competitiveness.

Coastal has also tried to get into the CAA but has face similar road blocks, probably for similar reasons.

Given those road blocks the Sun Belt actually looks like a decent option. I think if the SoCon or CAA would have welcomed us in then we wouldn't even be interested in the Sun Belt - but now that App State and Georgia Southern are in the SBC it makes sense to me. The Big South is a great geographically compact conference, but it is mostly private schools and the football side of things is built on an unstable foundation. The Sun Belt gives us an opportunity to compete with other regional public institutions with similar budgets and attitudes. I like FCS football, this is just an opportunity that could have a positive effect on the entire university.

Thank you! I think that is absolutely right about why CCU didn't get a SoCon invite. When first thought about, there were 3 football schools in South Carolina and 4 for other sports. and honestly, I think that is the reason more than any other that the SC schools didn't want CCU. I hate it because I wish we had offered.

As to the schools we offered, I think because the SoCon didn't offer CCU and or JSU and or potentially other larger public schools in the past, with our two largest public schools leaving the SoCon was left with little choice but to offer to whom we did. As you mentioned, most larger public schools interest certainly went down when GSU and ASU left. One of the many reasons, I wish we had offered CCU and JSU years ago. We backed our self in a corner. With that said, considering the position the SoCon was in I think the choices work mainly from a long term stability factor.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 9th, 2015, 07:51 AM

Huh? Georgia Southern and App State fans have griped on this site for years about how the SoCon replaced VMI and ETSU with Elon and Samford and didn't even consider Jax State and Coastal.

Tealblood
August 9th, 2015, 08:02 AM
Huh? Georgia Southern and App State fans have griped on this site for years about how the SoCon replaced VMI and ETSU with Elon and Samford and didn't even consider Jax State and Coastal.

The only reason ccu is in this debate is because Ga Southern and Ap St. Are pushing for us

Lehigh Football Nation
August 9th, 2015, 10:56 AM
So they're going to sue the NCAA? If it happens, at least the CAA can move up as a conference then.

They wouldn't need to. They would have gotten around the FBS requirement by getting the conference invite. Once you've done that, you can choose to leave and be FBS independent.

Though it was completely different circumstances, that's also what happened to UMass. There, the MAC tried to force them to join in all sports. The Minutemen declined and instead decided to be FBS independent.

Incidentally, a conference cannot move up to FBS as a unit as things stand today. The requirement is that schools get invites from an EXISTING FBS conference. Its the only way. The CAA was exploring this option years ago, but the NCAA shot it down.

I think 95% of the problems with FCS/FBS transition are due to the NCAA's own rules. I think its telling that if a Notre Dame-type school emerged today it very likely would be trapped in FCS.

RootinFerDukes
August 9th, 2015, 07:03 PM
Except that Liberty doesn't have an invite so they're not going anywhere. I thought you meant they had another means to get up to fbs and that would likely mean taking the NCAA and their move up rules to court.
Liberty held a press conference to state their desire to become fbs. They contacted every conference, probably even the now defunct WAC. They begged. Falwell personally traveled and spoke to a number of sbc university presidents. He sort of invited himself over... Or so rumors state.
Liberty has been trying everything and no conference will take them.
Meanwhile JMU and Missouri state are rumored to turn down the invites they desperately wanted. Ccu and Eku may now take that spot.
The rumor is now that it's just one opening and the 3rd school is nmsu for full membership. IMO they're the best option of the three. They're already fbs.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Except that Liberty doesn't have an invite so they're not going anywhere. I thought you meant they had another means to get up to fbs and that would likely mean taking the NCAA and their move up rules to court.
Liberty held a press conference to state their desire to become fbs. They contacted every conference, probably even the now defunct WAC. They begged. Falwell personally traveled and spoke to a number of sbc university presidents. He sort of invited himself over... Or so rumors state.
Liberty has been trying everything and no conference will take them.
Meanwhile JMU and Missouri state are rumored to turn down the invites they desperately wanted. Ccu and Eku may now take that spot.
The rumor is now that it's just one opening and the 3rd school is nmsu for full membership. IMO they're the best option of the three. They're already fbs.

If the travel partner thing for App isn't a big issue then I think you are correct. I also read LFN's post the way you did when he posted it.

rokamortis
August 9th, 2015, 07:57 PM
Thank you! I think that is absolutely right about why CCU didn't get a SoCon invite. When first thought about, there were 3 football schools in South Carolina and 4 for other sports. and honestly, I think that is the reason more than any other that the SC schools didn't want CCU. I hate it because I wish we had offered.

As to the schools we offered, I think because the SoCon didn't offer CCU and or JSU and or potentially other larger public schools in the past, with our two largest public schools leaving the SoCon was left with little choice but to offer to whom we did. As you mentioned, most larger public schools interest certainly went down when GSU and ASU left. One of the many reasons, I wish we had offered CCU and JSU years ago. We backed our self in a corner. With that said, considering the position the SoCon was in I think the choices work mainly from a long term stability factor.

I totally get the stability part and for the SoCon it made a lot of sense for who you did add. VMI just made sense with the Citadel and history with the conference - both institutions realized they just belong together and VMI leaving the SoCon initially was a mistake. Mercer was a terrific add - perfectly fits the footprint while being a private, high academic school that clearly cares about athletics. ETSU isn't bad either and goes back to the history with the conference and hopefully will be able to bring back football stronger than ever.

I know some people speculated about Coastal going FBS at the time and although the circumstances now would indicate they were correct, but there wasn't any truth to the conjecture at the time. We are literally just in the right place at the right time for the Sun Belt and have a competitive portfolio of sports to offer. We know we weren't the first choice and aren't a perfect match for the Sun Belt but there are many schools there that we are similar to or will be more like in the near future. We still may not get the invite, but I can certainly see the appeal of the Sun Belt for us - particularly with App State and Georgia Southern. If it doesn't work out then I'll still be happy in FCS.

jmrepak
August 9th, 2015, 07:58 PM
From someone on the Sun Bet boards I suspect is a media member that covers one of the Louisiana teams.

OK....Despite the fact Dr. Hawkins has said they will recommend ONE school, there are still folks who insist there will be more than one.

There will not.

The committee visited the two schools in the east. They have already eliminated one of the two. Now theyll visit NMSU and compare it with the school from the east that they favor. The winner of that comparison is the one that will be recommended for full membership.

The unknown here is if the schools agreed ahead of time to accept the recommendation of the committee. If yes, then the committee suggestion will go through.

But there have been some schools unwilling to budge. The schools in the eastern time zone are adamant AGAINST NMSU. All you need is three "no" votes to kill a school. It is rumored there are others who are adamant against the Aggies as well.

But there are schools toward the west who are just as stubborn. They want NMSU and they have suggested they won't support anyone but the aggies. If they hold firm, there are enough votes to keep CCU/EKU out.

I am 99% sure the idea of "we don't agree so let's add all three" is not going to happen.

If no one caves, we add no one.

Personally, I think the west realizes NMSU isn't going to happen and will reluctantly agree to add either EKU or CCU.

The timing of the announcement will tell just how long the stubbornness remained.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-744680-page-10.html

Doing a re-post from CoastalFans that was a re-post from a SunBelt forum...

RootinFerDukes
August 9th, 2015, 08:16 PM
All the more reason to add no one. If no one can agree, then none are good enough choices. This is what happens when you have a far flung league across the entire country.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2015, 09:06 PM
All the more reason to add no one. If no one can agree, then none are good enough choices. This is what happens when you have a far flung league across the entire country.

App & GSU did not like the difference with Privates vs. Public and vow they seem to be in a mess that is similar only the distance between the parties is thousands of miles.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 9th, 2015, 09:07 PM

Exactly! When your choices are CCU, EKU, Liberty, Missouri State you stand pat. Especially when you already have a serious perception problem...

FargoBison
August 9th, 2015, 09:32 PM
As far as the Belt is concerned, CCU might be as good as it gets. They need another eastern member, it just makes too much sense if they are willing to go along with necessary facility improvements.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 9th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Exactly! When your choices are CCU, EKU, Liberty, Missouri State you stand pat. Especially when you already have a serious perception problem...

Three nowhere near ready and one that would be a flight risk the second they joined. In fact, why even mention expansion at all with this group......... Unless you're desperate?

ekufbfan
August 10th, 2015, 07:19 AM
Unreal some here judging if EKU or CCU are not good enough to receive the supposedly one invite to the SB, when in reality they know very little if anything about both of us. What they do know is a few things that have taken place in past years and innuendos and suppositions throw around on a message board, what they don't know is what is actually happening on these two campuses right now in preparation for a move if offered. Unfortunately for EKU I thinK if only one school gets an invite it will be CCU based on their location and the fact they have a men's soccer team already in place. I hope I am wrong. But it is laughable that some on here are saying the SB should not add anyone if only EKU or CCU are the candidates because there are better choices out there (perhaps meaning their school).

parr90
August 10th, 2015, 07:48 AM
Why with all of the expected change in the P5 would anyone make a drastic change right now? It will be funny in a few years when the Sun Belt, CUSA and other conferences end up with the upper tier FCS teams.

Dewey

I doubt that happens. Many of you make fun of the SB and thats fine but to me it was a step up. You can say what you want but I watched my Eagles play FCS for a long time and now week in week out are playing more talented and deeper teams overall. Plus recruiting has improved 100%. I think most of us who are GS fans hope to continue to build our program, win more conf titles and eventually move into another conf, hopefully a P5. Im sure that doesnt seem very possible right now but winning has a way of taking you places.

I had my doubts about moving to the SB because I really loved the competition and playoff system in FCS, I played in it, but I think anyone would love to see their team one day be able to compete at the highest level. You have to start somewhere, and this was always the plan for GS from the start. I think with the growth of our school and the fact that we are located in one of the best regions to recruit football players will be a plus for us in the future. I am already seeing the results of recruiting just from announcing the move to FBS. Some of the SB teams, as well as Conf USA and MAC teams may never grow beyond where they are now, I dont think that will be the case for GS.

parr90
August 10th, 2015, 08:08 AM
Nope. Nor have they lost any of the more than double Division 1 recruits over Georgia that make Texas far-and-away a more fertile recruiting ground.

Thats actually not the case. It depends on how you look at it. Texas may have more players to choose from but Georgia is one of the top 4 states in the country, and GS is in the southern part, closer to the Florida line than we are to Atlanta. 3 hours from Atlanta, 2 hours from Florida. GS recruits allot of players from Florida. Now with the FBS move there will be many players who dont end up at UGA, who are picked by so many other schools that come to Georgia to recruit, will look at GS as a place to come to play. That is already happening. There are tons of players from Georgia who end up going to Miss St, Marshall, ECU, Ole Miss, Tenn, so on and so on. It will always be hard to keep kids who get SEC offers but its starting to happen as we speak. We have a commit right now who has offers from Auburn, Georgia, ECU, North Carolina, and several more who have offers from P5 teams, so there is already positive things happening as far as football growth.

parr90
August 10th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Sun Belt folks won't like to hear this, but only one current FCS school has the money, the support from both fans and administration, and the facilities to have ALREADY been in the SBC and that is Liberty University. LU is covering FCOA for all sports, the only FCS school to do so. It makes sense to me and others but LU is being shunned because of the late Jerry Falwell which makes no sense. You're gonna penalize a school over how one man felt about a plethora of topics?

I have never personally had an problem with Liberty joining. My issue for them is could they recruit well enough to be competitive enough to be there. Im not sure Liberty could bring in the talent needed to be competitive at that level consistently. Being a religious school who is not known that well as it stands for football, to me would make it hard for them. JMO.

clenz
August 10th, 2015, 08:46 AM
I have never personally had an problem with Liberty joining. My issue for them is could they recruit well enough to be competitive enough to be there. Im not sure Liberty could bring in the talent needed to be competitive at that level consistently. Being a religious school who is not known that well as it stands for football, to me would make it hard for them. JMO.
If I've learned anything over the years it's that being competitive isn't real high on the list of the Sun Belt when it comes to expansion.

If it was Texas State would NEVER have sniffed an invite.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 10th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Unreal some here judging if EKU or CCU are not good enough to receive the supposedly one invite to the SB, when in reality they know very little if anything about both of us. What they do know is a few things that have taken place in past years and innuendos and suppositions throw around on a message board, what they don't know is what is actually happening on these two campuses right now in preparation for a move if offered. Unfortunately for EKU I thinK if only one school gets an invite it will be CCU based on their location and the fact they have a men's soccer team already in place. I hope I am wrong. But it is laughable that some on here are saying the SB should not add anyone if only EKU or CCU are the candidates because there are better choices out there (perhaps meaning their school).

As a G5 fan/alum it just bugs me how the SBC operates. The league does not seem interested in boosting its image or helping the G5's perception. I honestly have no idea what the SBC's ultimate goal is as a conference. Simply being a low-end feeder system for schools with an identity crisis? It's vastly inferior in bball, football and academically relative to the AAC and MWC. The facilities are severely lacking as is the conferences scheduling power. Adding schools like CCU and EKU do nothing to improve those three things imo. If the SBC had no desire to climb above the MAC and CUSA but rather act as the Elis Island of FBS then EKU and CCU are excellent choices.

Why the conference feels the need to expand is literally beyond me. Why not improve what you have and try to get a team that Access Bowl spot? It's already an uphill battle but perhaps with some conference stability it could be a reality. Adding new teams will only make it more difficult given with numerous ones ranked 100+. The SBC has about 2-5 year window to do something, anything, of note in collegiate athletics.....

If nothing else this just proves how big of chasm there is within the G5 which I don't believe is healthy....

GAD
August 10th, 2015, 09:04 AM
If I've learned anything over the years it's that being competitive isn't real high on the list of the Sun Belt when it comes to expansion.

New media markets equal larger TV contracts

Lehigh Football Nation
August 10th, 2015, 09:31 AM
New media markets equal larger TV contracts

Please don't do that. The coffee went through my nose and is now all over the monitor.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 10th, 2015, 09:32 AM

RootinFerDukes
August 10th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Please don't do that. The coffee went through my nose and is now all over the monitor.
Hey. Ga State gets to claim atlanta. Them and all 2k fans in their stands each game.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 10th, 2015, 09:40 AM

As a G5 fan/alum it just bugs me how the SBC operates. The league does not seem interested in boosting its image or helping the G5's perception. I honestly have no idea what the SBC's ultimate goal is as a conference. Simply being a low-end feeder system for schools with an identity crisis? It's vastly inferior in bball, football and academically relative to the AAC and MWC. The facilities are severely lacking as is the conferences scheduling power. Adding schools like CCU and EKU do nothing to improve those three things imo. If the SBC had no desire to climb above the MAC and CUSA but rather act as the Elis Island of FBS then EKU and CCU are excellent choices.

Why the conference feels the need to expand is literally beyond me. Why not improve what you have and try to get a team that Access Bowl spot? It's already an uphill battle but perhaps with some conference stability it could be a reality. Adding new teams will only make it more difficult given with numerous ones ranked 100+. The SBC has about 2-5 year window to do something, anything, of note in collegiate athletics.....

If nothing else this just proves how big of chasm there is within the G5 which I don't believe is healthy....

Conference USA took FAU, FIU, North Texas, and freaking Charlotte, who has yet to get a win over a fully-schollied FCS team. At least Coastal Carolina is committed to improving on athletics and is making strides in both football and basketball. Better to bring in programs with potential and build a reputation from the ground up than to take on more dumpster fires like Georgia State because they have money or are in a "media market" (a laughable justification for taking on any team).

RootinFerDukes
August 10th, 2015, 09:52 AM
Is there a website that lists each FCS school by number of scholarships offered? Is this something we could compile? I'm very curious and it can be confusing to keep up with it all.

clenz
August 10th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Is there a website that lists each FCS school by number of scholarships offered? Is this something we could compile? I'm very curious and it can be confusing to keep up with it all.
Actually offered or able to offer?

If able to then
0-PFL
36-NEC
60-PL
63-Everyone else

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RootinFerDukes
August 10th, 2015, 10:06 AM
freaking Charlotte, who has yet to get a win over a fully-schollied FCS team.
Presbyterian, Gardner-Webb and North Carolina Central should all be 63 scholarship FCS teams based on their conference scholarship amounts. They've beaten all those teams.

RootinFerDukes
August 10th, 2015, 10:08 AM

If able to then
0-PFL
36-NEC
60-PL
63-Everyone else

Both, but I'm more interested in the team by team breakdown. Thanks though.
I also thought I read once that the Ivy's are technically non-scholarship, but that "academic" scholarships for football players can be common.

clenz
August 10th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Both, but I'm more interested in the team by team breakdown. Thanks though.
Almost impossible to know.

Most school offer between 58 and 61. It allows room for transfers, larger recruiting classes, and saves money. A couple years ago when Montana got hit with their loss of scholarships it didn't matter because they weren't offering that many anyway - I think they lost 2 or 3 and according to ursus (and articles he posted) they only give out 59 most years. I don't know if I can find the article back but UNI typically only leaves signing day with 58, give or take 1 or two, scholarships filled. Most years, even by fall camp, UNI is still only at 59-60. This year is likely the closest they've ever been to the full 63, but I doubt they are

You'll find very few that offer the full 63

DoWe
August 10th, 2015, 10:11 AM
One thing is certain. As this discussion has reached 34 pages it appears there is a tremendous amount of interest in the Sun Belt around here. Probably more interest than all of the the Sun Belt and all of the other G5 fan communities collectively share for discussing FCS football.

OL FU
August 10th, 2015, 10:38 AM
I think there is a tremendous amount of interest in our fellow FCS schools and to the extent the sunbelt plays a role in that ......we are interested in the sunbelt.

aceinthehole
August 10th, 2015, 10:46 AM

If able to then
0-PFL
36-NEC
60-PL
63-Everyone else

Correction:

40 - NEC

Lehigh Football Nation
August 10th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Correction:

40 - NEC

Additionally, Wagner recently through its use of other grants-in-aid were technically above this number, at least in the NCAA's eyes. When they played Florida Atlantic the other year, they were bowl counters.

aceinthehole
August 10th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Additionally, Wagner recently through its use of other grants-in-aid were technically above this number, at least in the NCAA's eyes. When they played Florida Atlantic the other year, they were bowl counters.

Yes.

The NEC has a policy limiting to 40 scholarships; however teams can supplement that 40 through other need based grant-in-aid to reach the FCS limit of 63.

Wagner has achieved "bowl counter status" by having a large roster, which includes many players that receive need based aid, but will see limited action. These roster fillers is in addition to the 40 schollys equivalents provided to "recruited" players.

Bottom line, Wagner doesn't have 63 contributing players that are receiving aid - but for NCAA purposes their roster reflects the 63 equivs provided to student-athletes to achieve "bowl counter" status.

bullitt_60
August 10th, 2015, 12:06 PM

You're making it way more difficult than it is. This is only about balancing cost. All SBC members are asking for a travel partner for App State in the olympic sports, particularly basketball. If one is added, NMSU will be added all sports. Football for the Eastern expansion candidate will be years off if ever. Having "no desire to climb above the MAC and CUSA" is bull**** btw.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2015, 12:22 PM
I think there is a tremendous amount of interest in our fellow FCS schools and to the extent the sunbelt plays a role in that ......we are interested in the sunbelt.

I have a tremendous amount of interest due to all you say there and on top of that the SBC is an FCS conference anyway.

Hell yes we're gonna talk about it...until football starts anyway.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 10th, 2015, 01:21 PM
You're making it way more difficult than it is. This is only about balancing cost. All SBC members are asking for a travel partner for App State in the olympic sports, particularly basketball. If one is added, NMSU will be added all sports. Football for the Eastern expansion candidate will be years off if ever. Having "no desire to climb above the MAC and CUSA" is bull**** btw.

Balancing costs? We're talking nickles and dimes, or we should be given the number of SBC teams in the Southeast. App State already has a few teams within an 8-10 hour drive which by FBS standards, is perfectly fine.

I don't believe the SBC will climb above the MAC. The MAC is relatively comfortable in their own skin. They understand their niche in FBS football. The schools also have strong alumni ties to key/power Midwestern/Great Lake cities which helps. Miami(OH) and Buffalo are legitimate national universities with excellent academic reputations.

I do believe CUSA is bumbling a bit football wise. Even so, Marshall and Southern Miss (even though they suck now) carry weight. Basketball is where CUSA is considerably better than the SBC. Charlotte has shown, at times to be a good basketball program. I'm pretty sure ODU spent a couple weeks ranked in hoops last year.The Monarchs use to have a dominant women's program as well. La Tech has won 20 games for a few years in a row. MTSU was darn good recently too. I think CUSA will be a 2-3 bid league moving forward once the OOC schedules improve.

eiu1999
August 10th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Does ISU have the desire to go FBS?

bullitt_60
August 10th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Balancing costs? We're talking nickles and dimes, or we should be given the number of SBC teams in the Southeast. App State already has a few teams within an 8-10 hour drive which by FBS standards, is perfectly fine.

I don't believe the SBC will climb above the MAC. The MAC is relatively comfortable in their own skin. They understand their niche in FBS football. The schools also have strong alumni ties to key/power Midwestern/Great Lake cities which helps. Miami(OH) and Buffalo are legitimate national universities with excellent academic reputations.

I do believe CUSA is bumbling a bit football wise. Even so, Marshall and Southern Miss (even though they suck now) carry weight. Basketball is where CUSA is considerably better than the SBC. Charlotte has shown, at times to be a good basketball program. I'm pretty sure ODU spent a couple weeks ranked in hoops last year.The Monarchs use to have a dominant women's program as well. La Tech has won 20 games for a few years in a row. MTSU was darn good recently too. I think CUSA will be a 2-3 bid league moving forward once the OOC schedules improve.

Yes, saving cost is very important. North Carolina to Texas is a long way. Adding an olympic sports member will resolve our issue of a 20 game conference basketball schedule. This is very hard on the teams and coaching staffs. We also need a soccer member immediately or will will lose our autobid to the NCAA tournament.

If you look at RPIs, both the SBC and CUSA suck. Both will be one bid leagues in the near term. However, Georgia State has taught everyone of the potential revenue available in basketball from one win. Kind of a revelation to a, believe it or not, football conference. There is a big push in the conference to improve basketball and CC helps us do that. The SBC is a strong baseball conference and CC just adds to that. We'll see what the football program is able to do in the coming years, but their other sports are most valuable at the moment.

Your insinuation that the SBC schools are not trying to get better is what I'm calling BS on. The current members, with one exception, are happy to be in this conference. We know what we are and what the perception is. We just have to get better every year because we'll be here a while!

dgtw
August 10th, 2015, 04:43 PM

If I had just gotten my butt kicked by an FCS call up, I would be scouting for a new member that would be as non-competitive as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cocky
August 10th, 2015, 05:02 PM
If I had just gotten my butt kicked by an FCS call up, I would be scouting for a new member that would be as non-competitive as possible.

The SB board has a thread going about their superiority over FCS. Funny thing, two FCS schools go in and dominate their league the first year. App and GaSo were not even at their top level when they moved. I will give them credit, or some posters, recognizing the need for mandatory scholarships in FCS.

bullitt_60
August 10th, 2015, 05:10 PM
The SB board has a thread going about their superiority over FCS. Funny thing, two FCS schools go in and dominate their league the first year. App and GaSo were not even at their top level FCS when they moved. I will give them credit, or some posters, recognizing the need for mandatory scholarships in FCS.

Which thread is it? Care to point me in that direction? Because I've read every one and it doesn't exist.

DoWe
August 10th, 2015, 06:38 PM
The SB board has a thread going about their superiority over FCS. Funny thing, two FCS schools go in and dominate their league the first year. App and GaSo were not even at their top level FCS when they moved. I will give them credit, or some posters, recognizing the need for mandatory scholarships in FCS.
You got you a link to this thread? If so, do share it.

dbackjon
August 10th, 2015, 06:44 PM
NMSU should be added to help basketball. Perhaps the SBC could be more than a one bid league with the addition of the Aggies....

No, they still won't be.

- - - Updated - - -

They seem to be all over the place..... I think CCU would fit right in..... at least as much as ULM does

App State - 15k students - endowment $91m
Ark. State - 14k students - endowment $52m
UALR - 12k students - endowment $136m
Ga Southern - 20k students - endowment $46m
Ga State - 32lk students - endowment $133m
UL Lafayette - 17k students - endowment $112m
ULM - 8K students - endowment $23m
USA - 16k students - endowment $479m
Tx State - 31k students - endowment $139m
UTA - 41k students - endowment $127m
Troy - 19k students - endowment $48m

bonus....
EKU - 16k students - endowment $54m

USA is the one that is out of place there

dbackjon
August 10th, 2015, 06:53 PM
You got you a link to this thread? If so, do share it.

Probably this one:

http://csnbbs.com/thread-744812.html

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2015, 06:56 PM
No, they still won't be.

- - - Updated - - -

USA is the one that is out of place there

Jon, you did not use multi quote on this post?

dbackjon
August 10th, 2015, 07:02 PM
Jon, you did not use multi quote on this post?

Nope. Two separate quotes. Posted the first, then went back and started reading thread, and quoted the second.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2015, 07:06 PM
Nope. Two separate quotes. Posted the first, then went back and started reading thread, and quoted the second.

Gotcha. Answered in the other thread btw.

RootinFerDukes
August 10th, 2015, 08:26 PM
I like that multiple ga southern fans feel the need to come on down to our lesser Fcs message boards and defend the honor of their superior, lowest ranking Fbs conference consisting of almost all Fcs call ups.
Cusa is in the same boat for that matter.
Fighting for the sun belt's honor, one message board at a time.

bullitt_60
August 10th, 2015, 09:05 PM
I like that multiple ga southern fans feel the need to come on down to our lesser Fcs message boards and defend the honor of their superior, lowest ranking Fbs conference consisting of almost all Fcs call ups.

I was just having a conversation and clarifying a few points. I think you might be reading into something that isn't there. This thread is about the SBC and Coastal Carolina. Also, while I've never been a power poster, you joined this board 10 days ago. Do you think we just stop following the FCS? Why would we denigrate the FCS when we're so proud of our past accomplishments?

superman7515
August 10th, 2015, 09:57 PM
It will be funny in a few years when the Sun Belt, CUSA and other conferences end up with the upper tier FCS teams.

Dewey

They've been saying that for ten years. Ten years from now, they'll still be selling that. Not gonna happen.

Hammer Head
August 10th, 2015, 10:37 PM
Academically, Coastal would not be the worst SunBelt school. They would IMO increase the level of football and some other sports. However, look at the enrollment at 10k and the 25million endowment. Coastal is exactly where it belongs, in the FCS. Many schools have wasted money and good situations trying to move up. EKU has 15k endowment, similar academics and 50 million endowment. Both these schools are FCS schools.

While I agree with your assertion both schools are where they need to be, I don;t buy the academic endowment of a school having anything to do in determining what division it plays athletics. There are schools with massive endowments in D2 and D3. It has no bearing on the situation.

Hammer Head
August 10th, 2015, 10:40 PM
They've been saying that for ten years. Ten years from now, they'll still be selling that. Not gonna happen.

Exactly. People have been beating that dead horse a long time. Time to take off the rose colored glasses and face reality. It aint happening.

ButlerGSU
August 11th, 2015, 10:06 AM

I wouldn't argue the Sun Belt is a great move for everyone but for Georgia Southern it's been wonderful.

Our season ticket sales are at an all time high, we'll have our rival game with App State on national TV for the second year in a row, we'll have another nationally televised game against Texas State, and revenue/fan interest/media coverage are all up.

Not to be snarky, but there's 37 pages of discussion about this on the FCS board so...someone is interested.

parr90
August 11th, 2015, 10:14 AM

Im speaking more about upside and potential to be successful in the future. Not so much what a program has right now. Money and facility wise I think Liberty would be fine. I may be wrong, its just me thinking in terms of a program being able to recruit football players.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 11th, 2015, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't argue the Sun Belt is a great move for everyone but for Georgia Southern it's been wonderful.

Our season ticket sales are at an all time high, we'll have our rival game with App State on national TV for the second year in a row, we'll have another nationally televised game against Texas State, and revenue/fan interest/media coverage are all up.

Not to be snarky, but there's 37 pages of discussion about this on the FCS board so...someone is interested.

So your saying the size of your athletic subsidy, of which $9.5 million (annually) were in the form of student fees, dipped to below 70% of your athletics budget? Wow!

centennial
August 11th, 2015, 10:25 AM
So your saying the size of your athletic subsidy, of which $9.5 million (annually) were in the form of student fees, dipped to below 70% of your athletics budget? Wow!
Inconvenient facts.

ButlerGSU
August 11th, 2015, 10:32 AM

Like I said, I'm not saying it's for every institution. If Lehigh is happy in the Patriot League then that's fantastic.

In my opinion, the Sun Belt is a better fit for Georgia Southern than the Southern Conference was for the reasons I pointed out.

parr90
August 11th, 2015, 10:39 AM
The SB board has a thread going about their superiority over FCS. Funny thing, two FCS schools go in and dominate their league the first year. App and GaSo were not even at their top level when they moved. I will give them credit, or some posters, recognizing the need for mandatory scholarships in FCS.

GS had just beatn Florida in the swamp and that GS team had tons of injuries. We had most back when we played Florida and I think that GS team would have been much better during the season had not been for some injuries. We had a really good team coming back that next year that would have been no doubt a championship contender in 2014 in FCS. App was much better in 2014 as well. Plus playing against better competition, as many know in FCS, drives guys to play at a higher level. I know I did when we used to play Florida St and teams like that.

I played FCS and loved the playoff system in FCS. After seeing GS play 1 season in the SB I am sure that the talent level of the teams in which we played last season in FBS was greater overall than at the FCS level. Talent level doesnt always equal better football players, I have no doubt, but when you add more talent overall and a deeper roster, its makes it harder to win against, even if the team isnt as good overall.

Moving to FBS has so far IMO been the best move for GS. It may not be for some but I would argue that most fans of schools would like to see their team play at the highest level of football. I wasnt overly excited about the SB conf but it was FBS and that was the first step for us. I look at it as a stepping stone to even bigger things. Some will argue that because of the way things are set up that it cant happen. I guess we will see, but winning has its way of doing great things for programs.

Cocky
August 11th, 2015, 04:28 PM
GS had just beatn Florida in the swamp and that GS team had tons of injuries. We had most back when we played Florida and I think that GS team would have been much better during the season had not been for some injuries. We had a really good team coming back that next year that would have been no doubt a championship contender in 2014 in FCS. App was much better in 2014 as well. Plus playing against better competition, as many know in FCS, drives guys to play at a higher level. I know I did when we used to play Florida St and teams like that.

I played FCS and loved the playoff system in FCS. After seeing GS play 1 season in the SB I am sure that the talent level of the teams in which we played last season in FBS was greater overall than at the FCS level. Talent level doesnt always equal better football players, I have no doubt, but when you add more talent overall and a deeper roster, its makes it harder to win against, even if the team isnt as good overall.

Moving to FBS has so far IMO been the best move for GS. It may not be for some but I would argue that most fans of schools would like to see their team play at the highest level of football. I wasnt overly excited about the SB conf but it was FBS and that was the first step for us. I look at it as a stepping stone to even bigger things. Some will argue that because of the way things are set up that it cant happen. I guess we will see, but winning has its way of doing great things for programs.

I dont disagree with FBS being the best move for GaSo or any other FCS school. The financial burden of FCS football is a killer and future doesnt look bright.

Week in and week out the SB does have more talent but the SB doesnt have more talent, than the top 25 FCS schools, in the top 60 players. We beat Ole Miss a few years back in the same type situation with a coach on the edge of the cliff but it wasnt one of our better teams nor could we have won a FCS championship.

It is comical to read especially from the SW Texas St fans about their superiority over FCS schools but could not win while in FCS. Its more understandable for a FCS board to have multiple pages talking about FBS than a FBS conference board having multiple pages posting about their superiority over little brother who cant get an invite to the party.

DoWe
August 11th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Jacksonville State UniversityThe only school to win the Triple Crown of National Championships--Football, Basketball, and BaseballWhy can't I verify your claim? Am I looking in the wrong archives?

dbackjon
August 11th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Why can't I verify your claim? Am I looking in the wrong archives?

Check the D2 archives...

DoWe
August 11th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Check the D2 archives...
xcoffeex

Cocky
August 11th, 2015, 10:46 PM
I need to update, I think, some others have done it now.

Cocky
August 11th, 2015, 10:47 PM
Keep looking you will find our championships if you are doubting.

clenz
August 12th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Keep looking you will find our championships if you are doubting.
A D2 title that's nearly an entire recruiting class older than the incoming freshman class in football...

xsmhx

parr90
August 12th, 2015, 10:00 AM
I dont disagree with FBS being the best move for GaSo or any other FCS school. The financial burden of FCS football is a killer and future doesnt look bright.

Week in and week out the SB does have more talent but the SB doesnt have more talent, than the top 25 FCS schools, in the top 60 players. We beat Ole Miss a few years back in the same type situation with a coach on the edge of the cliff but it wasnt one of our better teams nor could we have won a FCS championship.

It is comical to read especially from the SW Texas St fans about their superiority over FCS schools but could not win while in FCS. Its more understandable for a FCS board to have multiple pages talking about FBS than a FBS conference board having multiple pages posting about their superiority over little brother who cant get an invite to the party.

I didnt even know that SW Texas st had moved to FBS.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 12th, 2015, 10:03 AM
I didnt even know that SW Texas st had moved to FBS.

You mean you weren't even aware of your conferencemate? xlolx xlolx xlolx

Cocky
August 12th, 2015, 01:00 PM
A D2 title that's nearly an entire recruiting class older than the incoming freshman class in football...

xsmhx

I didnt know there was a time limit.

SUPharmacist
August 12th, 2015, 02:01 PM

xsmhx

Indeed. Care to remind me of all the recent football titles UNI has in FCS and DII.

clenz
August 12th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Indeed. Care to remind me of all the recent football titles UNI has in FCS and DII.
If you, or they, want to brag about D2 titles that would be graduated from college that's your prerogative.

It's a bit like Notre Dame or Iowa bragging about their football titles though....especially when you haven't don't **** in D1

ST_Lawson
August 12th, 2015, 03:24 PM

Probably because SW Texas State isn't their conferencemate. It's just Texas State now.

clenz
August 12th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Probably because SW Texas State isn't their conferencemate. It's just Texas State now.
Still the same school.

If you asked me about SWOMO I would know exactly who you were talking about.

ST_Lawson
August 12th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Still the same school.

Same for me as well, but mostly because SW MO St. is in our conference, so I was aware of them well before the name change. I'd never heard of SW Texas State until I heard that they were changing their name to TX State - San Marcos (and then later dropped the San Marcos part). Also, they dropped the SW part 12 years ago, so for people who are more recent followers of FCS football or the G5 conference FBS teams, it's an honest mistake...not saying parr90 is a newbie, but there are probably people on this board who have never heard the name SW Texas State before.

superman7515
August 12th, 2015, 09:14 PM
Same for me as well, but mostly because SW MO St. is in our conference, so I was aware of them well before the name change. I'd never heard of SW Texas State until I heard that they were changing their name to TX State - San Marcos (and then later dropped the San Marcos part). Also, they dropped the SW part 12 years ago, so for people who are more recent followers of FCS football or the G5 conference FBS teams, it's an honest mistake...not saying parr90 is a newbie, but there are probably people on this board who have never heard the name SW Texas State before.

Southwest Texas State is what they were known as back when Citdog transferred there from The Citadel for his final year of eligibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKl9WKaYVRw

dgtw
August 13th, 2015, 01:20 AM
Isn't that where LBJ went to school?

ButlerGSU
August 13th, 2015, 06:32 AM
Still the same school.

How's the upcoming season looking for State College of Iowa? You know, still the same school.

clenz
August 13th, 2015, 07:01 AM
How's the upcoming season looking for State College of Iowa? You know, still the same school.
If the new offense clicks early enough so the teams WL isn't buried by the early meat grinder it should be a pretty good year.

Nice attempt at whatever you were trying to do...The UNI book store still sells sweatshirts and t-shirts for SCI, ISTC and ISNS names. I actually own one of each. I also have authentic artifacts from those time periods as my grandmother went to the ITSC and my aunt the SCI.

It's still the exact same institution. They didn't close it, tear it down and open a new one. It's still the same school

ButlerGSU
August 13th, 2015, 07:22 AM
If the new offense clicks early enough so the teams WL isn't buried by the early meat grinder it should be a pretty good year.

Nice attempt at whatever you were trying to do...The UNI book store still sells sweatshirts and t-shirts for SCI, ISTC and ISNS names. I actually own one of each. I also have authentic artifacts from those time periods as my grandmother went to the ITSC and my aunt the SCI.

It's still the exact same institution. They didn't close it, tear it down and open a new one. It's still the same school

Exactly, so why are you trying to use the Texas State name as a negative point for them? Georgia Southern has had six name changes in it's history - all of which we're proud of. In fact, we honor all six names on the columns to the entrance to campus. However, we go by Georgia Southern University now. Texas State is the same thing, just like Northern Iowa.

clenz
August 13th, 2015, 08:16 AM
Exactly, so why are you trying to use the Texas State name as a negative point for them? Georgia Southern has had six name changes in it's history - all of which we're proud of. In fact, we honor all six names on the columns to the entrance to campus. However, we go by Georgia Southern University now. Texas State is the same thing, just like Northern Iowa.
What the **** are you talking about? Who's used it as a negative?

What drugs are you on?

parr90
August 13th, 2015, 09:27 AM

Sure didnt!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
August 13th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Sure didnt!!!

To be fair they have that effect on a lot of people. xlolx

I am still cackling about David Bailiff playing for OT against UNI running out the clock in regulation with 1:30 to go and a tie game. One of the worst coaching decisions I've seen at the FCS level.

clenz
August 13th, 2015, 10:48 AM
To be fair they have that effect on a lot of people. xlolx

I am still cackling about David Bailiff playing for OT against UNI running out the clock in regulation with 1:30 to go and a tie game. One of the worst coaching decisions I've seen at the FCS level.
I call it the best...

AshevilleApp2
August 13th, 2015, 02:04 PM
I call it the best...

Didn't help much. ;)

I'll go back to my FBS dungeon now.

Daytripper
August 13th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Isn't that where LBJ went to school?

Yes, President Lyndon B. Johnson attended Southwest Texas State University.

superman7515
August 13th, 2015, 07:37 PM
Why with all of the expected change in the P5 would anyone make a drastic change right now? It will be funny in a few years when the Sun Belt, CUSA and other conferences end up with the upper tier FCS teams.

Dewey

I retract my previous statement about them saying that for ten years... They've been saying it since 1971, and it still hasn't happened.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/NCAANewsArchive/1971/19711201.pdf

There has been some talk of a few “super” schools bolting the NCAA and forming a new super alliance. How many would this be? No one knows for sure, but I would suspect it would be the same 12 to 15 schools that appear on national television each year.

These super schools should not be penalized for their greatness, but rather a greater number of other schools should be given a chance to challenge them and test their own achievement capability...
- William A. Miller, Jr.
Faculty Athletic Representative, North Texas State University

dgtw
August 14th, 2015, 07:14 AM
That whole paper was quite an interesting read, a lot of names from the past. Thanks for the link, Supe.

jmrepak
August 28th, 2015, 02:08 PM
I'm ready to watch the Griz and Bison tomorrow and the rest of college football next week! In the mean time there's been a little movement on the Sun Belt expansion issue. Sun Belt President's are meeting next week in Dallas to vote.

http://www.myarklamiss.com/sports/local-sports/sun-belt-conference-expected-to-add-12th-school

jmrepak
August 28th, 2015, 03:19 PM
...and just like that news breaks that they have the votes to add a member.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sunbelt/2015/08/28/conference-expansion-coastal-carolina-eastern-kentucky/71322494/

Sandlapper Spike
August 28th, 2015, 04:00 PM
It looks like it's going to be EKU or Coastal Carolina. If one of them gets the invite next week, the clock on the transition period won't start until after this football season, will it?

What I mean is, EKU/CCU is eligible for the FCS playoffs this year regardless...then ineligible for post-season play for the two seasons following (2016-2017).

I think that's the way it would work, anyway. I don't think they're ineligible immediately.

jmrepak
August 28th, 2015, 04:08 PM
It looks like it's going to be EKU or Coastal Carolina. If one of them gets the invite next week, the clock on the transition period won't start until after this football season, will it?

What I mean is, EKU/CCU is eligible for the FCS playoffs this year regardless...then ineligible for post-season play for the two seasons following (2016-2017).

I think that's the way it would work, anyway. I don't think they're ineligible immediately.
It would depend on the transition schedule, but I don't think so. I think they would both wait until next year unless the invite came with that requirement. At this point, I don't even know if you could declare this year and start the transition. Someone with more NCAA knowledge than myself will have to answer that.

DoWe
August 28th, 2015, 05:16 PM
I don't see this as an imminent invite for the Chants. NMSU is the frontrunner.

jmrepak
August 28th, 2015, 05:29 PM
I don't see this as an imminent invite for the Chants. NMSU is the frontrunner.

Do you have a source for that or is it just opinion? I'm on the fence with the process because I like the idea of competing for the national championship and that's just not going to happen for us at the FBS level. However, moving to the next level does bring some additional exposure, revenue (and expense) and opportunity. Everything I've seen, heard and read is leaning probably 80%+ towards Coastal getting the invite.

DoWe
August 28th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Crawl out of FCS boards if you want to know how I know. BTW, it's a D2 Natty thing no matter how you you count it. it's very much over-rated and under-funded.

smilo
August 28th, 2015, 05:57 PM
If it is indeed Coastal, any idea on what would happen to the rest of the Big South? I guess they could survive on their own with Kennesaw, but are they just going to raid the A-Sun again for a basketball replacement?

The SoCon probably wouldn't have interest in the scraps, right? I can't see them wanting Liberty.

jmrepak
August 28th, 2015, 05:57 PM
Crawl out of FCS boards if you want to know how I know.
Crawl out from the FCS boards? Really? What other boards are you seeing that on? I've been pouring over info on the Sun Belt Board, looking at media articles and sifting through relevant social media posts. Contrary to whatever it is you think, I read through and research this stuff pretty well.

BTW, it's a D2 Natty thing no matter how you you count it. it's very much over-rated and under-funded.
Not sure what you mean by the rest of this.

jmrepak
August 28th, 2015, 06:14 PM
If it is indeed Coastal, any idea on what would happen to the rest of the Big South? I guess they could survive on their own with Kennesaw, but are they just going to raid the A-Sun again for a basketball replacement?

The SoCon probably wouldn't have interest in the scraps, right? I can't see them wanting Liberty.
If an invite comes our way I think the Big South survives without us, but they would be on rocky ground. They'll be fine in oly sports, but even in football they survive. Liberty and CSU have been very relevant the last couple of years so they would still have some teams with a reasonable reputation in football. However, they would need to work fast to pickup another 1 or 2 full member schools to have a chance and to solidify confidence from the members. With their reputation the last couple of years over the SoCon it would be really funny (even though it's probably not realistic) for the Big South to go after a couple of SoCon schools.

I'm not really sure if the SoCon would want Liberty or not. They may but with Liberty's funding and openly pushing for an FBS move I don't think anyone will want to touch them just to watch them leave a year later.

hebmskebm
August 28th, 2015, 06:30 PM
Have to wonder if a CCU move would spur Jacksonville and Campbell to finally step up and bring their football out of the PFL, as has long been rumored. They have the added benefit of not having to go through a transition period either.

WileECoyote06
August 29th, 2015, 05:28 AM
If an invite comes our way I think the Big South survives without us, but they would be on rocky ground. They'll be fine in oly sports, but even in football they survive. Liberty and CSU have been very relevant the last couple of years so they would still have some teams with a reasonable reputation in football. However, they would need to work fast to pickup another 1 or 2 full member schools to have a chance and to solidify confidence from the members. With their reputation the last couple of years over the SoCon it would be really funny (even though it's probably not realistic) for the Big South to go after a couple of SoCon schools.

I'm not really sure if the SoCon would want Liberty or not. They may but with Liberty's funding and openly pushing for an FBS move I don't think anyone will want to touch them just to watch them leave a year later.

Well there's a large school in Greensboro that's been interested for nearly a year. They were competitive with Coastal last year, fit the conference geographic imprint, would bring the conference's third largest TV market and largest metro. There's also a slightly smaller school down the road in Durham, which could bring an even larger market and metro. But to hear Liberty tell it. . ..

jmrepak
August 29th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Bye Felicia... Just kidding. If this happens I will no doubt continue to watch FCS for 4 reasons:
1. We will struggle to compete the first few years is my guess.
2. I've got a lot of respect for a lot of teams in the FCS.
3. This is the only real place for a National Champion where it doesn't matter if you come from a conference with pedigree or not (even though MVFC is legit).
4. I'm still a UofR grad as well. Go Spiders

(found on Twitter by another poster on CoastalFans.com):
The Sun Belt Blogger ‏@SunBeltBlogger 24m24 minutes ago
BREAKING News: A source within the Sun Belt has confirmed to me this morning that the Sun Belt will vote to add Coastal Carolina............

Apphole
August 29th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Welcome, Chants!

KPSUL
August 29th, 2015, 01:24 PM
I'll say it again. Liberty is the most ready of all the schools discussed. They are being kept out of the Sun Belt for 2 reasons: Liberty's money, and Public vs Private IMHO.

Has Liberty ever been given the option of playing in the Sun Belt? I thought no, but one earlier poster indicated LU turned them down at some juncture. As much as Liberty seems to want to make the move, the size of the stadium and the fact the nearly fill it, it seems inexplicable that Sun Belt wouldn't welcome them if they are looking for a new member from the region. I don't see having too much money as the problem and the private school thing, almost every FBS conference has one or two private schools.

jsnow84
August 30th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Liberty has not turned the SBC down, it was the other way around. Not sure of the reason why, I suspect it has a lot to do with money. Of course it could be because they are a religious private school. But you wouldn't think that such a distinguished, open-minded, group of universities would be intolerant of others views............................... would you? It is obvious to any open-minded observer that Liberty has much more to offer than CCU or EKU, etc. Their facilities and athletic budget would rank at the top 1 or 2 of the SBC immediately. It will take them a couple years to be competitive in football and men's basketball, but in every other sport, they would be ready immediately.
Liberty will eventually be FBS and some conference(s) will not be happy they passed on them, for whatever silly reason.
Fight On.

knucklehead
August 30th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Liberty has never been offered an invite to the SBC. If an invite had come, I assure you LU would have taken it right away. Thanks to the last two posters! After reading 90% of the SBC posters blather about Liberty, it's good to read some level headed analysis. There is ZERO chance that CCU or EKU are as ready as LU. Its funny that the NCAA independent ban that was designed to keep teams that were not ready from moving up doesn't keep a conference from being shortsighted and inviting one of the same.

LU will eventually move up and you are right, the SBC will not be happy!

WestCoastAggie
August 30th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Welcome, Chants!

WTF???

- - - Updated - - -

Bye Felicia... Just kidding. If this happens I will no doubt continue to watch FCS for 4 reasons:
1. We will struggle to compete the first few years is my guess.
2. I've got a lot of respect for a lot of teams in the FCS.
3. This is the only real place for a National Champion where it doesn't matter if you come from a conference with pedigree or not (even though MVFC is legit).
4. I'm still a UofR grad as well. Go Spiders

(found on Twitter by another poster on CoastalFans.com):
The Sun Belt Blogger ‏@SunBeltBlogger 24m24 minutes ago
BREAKING News: A source within the Sun Belt has confirmed to me this morning that the Sun Belt will vote to add Coastal Carolina............

Wut???

BamKat
August 30th, 2015, 04:44 PM
N

BisonFan02
August 30th, 2015, 11:13 PM
Welcome, Chants!

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/014/285/not.jpg

tigonian02
August 30th, 2015, 11:19 PM
Liberty has not turned the SBC down, it was the other way around. Not sure of the reason why, I suspect it has a lot to do with money. Of course it could be because they are a religious private school. But you wouldn't think that such a distinguished, open-minded, group of universities would be intolerant of others views............................... would you? It is obvious to any open-minded observer that Liberty has much more to offer than CCU or EKU, etc. Their facilities and athletic budget would rank at the top 1 or 2 of the SBC immediately. It will take them a couple years to be competitive in football and men's basketball, but in every other sport, they would be ready immediately.
Liberty will eventually be FBS and some conference(s) will not be happy they passed on them, for whatever silly reason.
Fight On.

If i had to speculate, the Sunbelt is looking for what little stability they can get. I would imagine Liberty has made mention of dreams and ambitions beyond what the sunbelt can offer...and with the money readily available to them, they could almost immediately buy out and leave the SunBelt when they aren't happy. Not something the other schools want to deal with. Just my 2 cents.

AggieManiac704
August 30th, 2015, 11:34 PM
*lurks*

this is gonna get interesting

Lehigh Football Nation
August 30th, 2015, 11:39 PM
The team that will be invited is EKU. Don't be taken in by phony Twitter accounts.

RootinFerDukes
August 31st, 2015, 05:30 AM
The team that will be invited is EKU. Don't be taken in by phony Twitter accounts.

Do you have legitimate proof of this?

knucklehead
August 31st, 2015, 08:36 AM
I have heard the same thing, but I'm not sure what to believe just yet.

clenz
August 31st, 2015, 09:07 AM
Gut feeling tells me EKU is more likely, just from a geography/logistic stand point

Cocky
August 31st, 2015, 09:29 AM
EKU just to piss WKU off.

EKUs football history will trump WKU is just a few years on the recruiting trail.

RootinFerDukes
August 31st, 2015, 09:35 AM
I saw a retweet this morning that it is going to be Coastal Carolina. Let me find it.

The Sun Belt Blogger ‏@SunBeltBlogger (https://twitter.com/SunBeltBlogger) Aug 29 (https://twitter.com/SunBeltBlogger/status/637622099801190400)
BREAKING News: A source within the Sun Belt has confirmed to me this morning that the Sun Belt will vote to add Coastal Carolina.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 31st, 2015, 09:41 AM
I saw a retweet this morning that it is going to be Coastal Carolina. Let me find it.

The Sun Belt Blogger ‏@SunBeltBlogger (https://twitter.com/SunBeltBlogger) Aug 29 (https://twitter.com/SunBeltBlogger/status/637622099801190400)
BREAKING News: A source within the Sun Belt has confirmed to me this morning that the Sun Belt will vote to add Coastal Carolina.

Read his other tweets. Also look at www.sunbeltblogger.net. See anything?

clenz
August 31st, 2015, 09:43 AM
Read his other tweets. Also look at www.sunbeltblogger.net (http://www.sunbeltblogger.net). See anything?
The definition of throw **** at a wall and see what sticks, while hoping no one remembers the **** that didn't stick

RootinFerDukes
August 31st, 2015, 09:44 AM
Read his other tweets. Also look at www.sunbeltblogger.net (http://www.sunbeltblogger.net). See anything?

I honestly don't see anything to discredit him. I guess I'm missing it? I know it's the internet, but he probably knows more than I do...

He's posting a lot and perhaps speculating, but no one knows that jack squat is "official" until you see a press release from the source. Either the conference or the school involved.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 31st, 2015, 09:48 AM
I honestly don't see anything to credit him.

FIFY

RootinFerDukes
August 31st, 2015, 10:00 AM
Well I hope you're right. Although I think the SBC is best served to do nothing at all right now instead of adding any willing team not named liberty, I think EKU is the better candidate than CCU. CCU has an attendance and market advantage (but with a 1k difference and 8k overall, does it really matter?), EKU has better football history and makes more geographic sense for the entire conference.

melloware13
August 31st, 2015, 10:48 AM

The .net seems to do enough to discredit him for me

RootinFerDukes
August 31st, 2015, 11:40 AM
Dom Izzo ‏@DomIzzoWDAY (https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/638363242738397184)Moorhead, MN (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3Addd9aed661af0c05)
Reports are indicating that Coastal Carolina will receive invite into Sun Belt tomorrow; Chanticleers only w/football since 2003, moving up.

BisonFan02
August 31st, 2015, 11:55 AM
Dom Izzo ‏@DomIzzoWDAY (https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/638363242738397184)Moorhead, MN (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3Addd9aed661af0c05)
Reports are indicating that Coastal Carolina will receive invite into Sun Belt tomorrow; Chanticleers only w/football since 2003, moving up.

Dom should know better, but I think he might be getting the same info we are trying to discredit.

walliver
August 31st, 2015, 12:25 PM
Well I hope you're right. Although I think the SBC is best served to do nothing at all right now instead of adding any willing team not named liberty, I think EKU is the better candidate than CCU. CCU has an attendance and market advantage (but with a 1k difference and 8k overall, does it really matter?), EKU has better football history and makes more geographic sense for the entire conference.

Other than Liberty, there are no decent move "ups" for the SBC. A few of the MVFC and Big Sky teams might be FBS appropriate (even though they are probably better off where they are) but are well out of the SBC's region (ignoring IIdaho of course).

Of the recent FCS to FBS moves, at least 4 (FIU, FAU, ODU, Georgia State) never really spent any time in FCS, and most likely played at FCS level only because they were required to do so. Other recent moves (Marshall, ASU, GSU, UCF) were successful at the I-AA/FCS level and had good attendance numbers.

Of the teams currently available to the SBC, all are Field of Dreams, "Build it and they will come", projects. Liberty has decent attendance but hasn't really leveraged their attendance and wealth until consistently dominant programs. Their evangelical background should actually be more of a recruiting advantage than disadvantage, as it gives them something to differentiate themselves from the competition. That being said, Liberty would compete in the SBC and bring in big crowds, and likely bigger crowds. Their SBC schedule might not look good, but, other than CCU, their Big South schedule isn't very interesting either.

EKU and CCU both have attendance issues. Both need attendance to double to be meaningful at FBS level. Both are assuming that an attractive home slate of SBC opponents will pack the standsxcrazyx. For EKU, ASU would bring a good crowd, and for CCU, ASU and GSU would bring good crowds, and that is about it.

That being said, CCU and Myrtle Beach is the "sexy" choice and will likely win out, although I think they will struggle mightily to bring in the crowds. It is a relatively young school, with relatively few alumni.

WestCoastAggie
August 31st, 2015, 01:03 PM
Other than Liberty, there are no decent move "ups" for the SBC. A few of the MVFC and Big Sky teams might be FBS appropriate (even though they are probably better off where they are) but are well out of the SBC's region (ignoring IIdaho of course).

Of the recent FCS to FBS moves, at least 4 (FIU, FAU, ODU, Georgia State) never really spent any time in FCS, and most likely played at FCS level only because they were required to do so. Other recent moves (Marshall, ASU, GSU, UCF) were successful at the I-AA/FCS level and had good attendance numbers.

Of the teams currently available to the SBC, all are Field of Dreams, "Build it and they will come", projects. Liberty has decent attendance but hasn't really leveraged their attendance and wealth until consistently dominant programs. Their evangelical background should actually be more of a recruiting advantage than disadvantage, as it gives them something to differentiate themselves from the competition. That being said, Liberty would compete in the SBC and bring in big crowds, and likely bigger crowds. Their SBC schedule might not look good, but, other than CCU, their Big South schedule isn't very interesting either.

EKU and CCU both have attendance issues. Both need attendance to double to be meaningful at FBS level. Both are assuming that an attractive home slate of SBC opponents will pack the standsxcrazyx. For EKU, ASU would bring a good crowd, and for CCU, ASU and GSU would bring good crowds, and that is about it.

That being said, CCU and Myrtle Beach is the "sexy" choice and will likely win out, although I think they will struggle mightily to bring in the crowds. It is a relatively young school, with relatively few alumni.

They may also be banking on having a regular season neutral site game in Charleston with either Clemson or SC or CCU moving some home games to Charleston until they expand their current stadium. We also can't forget the financial ties that Mogila has.

walliver
August 31st, 2015, 01:06 PM
They may also be banking on having a regular season neutral site game in Charleston with either Clemson or SC or CCU moving some home games to Charleston until they expand their current stadium. We also can't forget the financial ties that Mogila has.

Charleston doesn't have a large stadium (larger than CCU, but not large enough for a P5 opponent). I think the current configuration of Johnson Hagood is around 21K.

AshevilleApp2
August 31st, 2015, 01:20 PM
I'm neutral on this and don't know everything involved. But could non-football sports have a bearing on the decision? CCU is strong in baseball and soccer from what I understand.

jmrepak
August 31st, 2015, 01:45 PM
I'm neutral on this and don't know everything involved. But could non-football sports have a bearing on the decision? CCU is strong in baseball and soccer from what I understand.
It does. The weakest sports program we have is our basketball program and they've won the auto-bid/conference tourney championship the last 2 years. Every other sport is very high quality. In fact, last year we sent either teams or athletes from every sport with the exception of tennis and lacrosse to the NCAA's

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 31st, 2015, 02:23 PM
CCU is a better choice than EKU. Richmond, KY is about 25 miles from Big Blue Nation so they'll never be anything more than a shadow puppet. At least CCU is located in a more destination friendly local for traveling fans. Plus, the Chants have the stronger athletic program at this time.

Still, I have no idea the point of this if you're the SBC. It won't make the league stronger or increase its overall perception.

RootinFerDukes
August 31st, 2015, 02:25 PM
Many sbc fans are saying its ccu. It appears those sources without credit may be right. I know it's not official until it's official.

Daytripper
August 31st, 2015, 02:39 PM
Just my opinion, but I think it would be a bad move for CCU. At least they're relevant on a national level in the FCS. They have a legit shot at deep playoff runs. In FBS, they will battle to play in a sh!##y bowl game at best.

gumby013
August 31st, 2015, 02:41 PM
I'm guessing if it is CCU, the transition timeline the Sun Belt would want them on would make them ineligible for post-season this year?

Cocky
August 31st, 2015, 02:48 PM
CCU is a better choice than EKU. Richmond, KY is about 25 miles from Big Blue Nation so they'll never be anything more than a shadow puppet. At least CCU is located in a more destination friendly local for traveling fans. Plus, the Chants have the stronger athletic program at this time.

Still, I have no idea the point of this if you're the SBC. It won't make the league stronger or increase its overall perception.

It doesnt matter how close you are to U of Kentucky, USC or Clemson. We are a long ways from UAT or Auburn but both have more devoted fans in our area.

bodoyle
August 31st, 2015, 02:53 PM
I'm guessing if it is CCU, the transition timeline the Sun Belt would want them on would make them ineligible for post-season this year?

No. If it happened it wouldn't start until June of next year.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 31st, 2015, 03:17 PM
Think about this a second. EKU has

1) a president that is hell-bent on getting in the same subdivision as WKU,
2) a stadium that could at least plausibly meet the FBS attendance requirements,
3) years of talking to Sun Belt about membership and have at least spent a year working towards it

Whereas Coastal fans learned literally weeks ago that they were anywhere close to a serious contender, would have to do some sort of UMass-style rental agreement (!) where they would have to rent the stadium from The Citadel (!!) in order to scrape by while they figure out some way to make their own stadium meet the minimum FBS NCAA attendance requirement (!!!).

While I think EKU heading to the Sun Belt from the OCS isn't a great idea for the Colonels (the OVC is such a strong mid-major in hoops I question why they would want to leave that for PIG status), the SBC taking Coastal is a horrible idea if it's any sooner than the 2020 season. They're simply not ready and any contingency plan looks uncomfortably like UMass' textbook-how-not-to-move-to-FBS situation.

dgtw
August 31st, 2015, 03:19 PM
It doesnt matter how close you are to U of Kentucky, USC or Clemson. We are a long ways from UAT or Auburn but both have more devoted fans in our area.

Nobody in Lexington cares about football. We went up there for our game a few years ago and I got blank stares from locals when I said I was going to the game. The opening weekend of Keenland was the big local sports story.

AshevilleApp2
August 31st, 2015, 03:21 PM

2) a stadium that could at least plausibly meet the FBS attendance requirements,
3) years of talking to Sun Belt about membership and have at least spent a year working towards it

Whereas Coastal fans learned literally weeks ago that they were anywhere close to a serious contender, would have to do some sort of UMass-style rental agreement (!) where they would have to rent the stadium from The Citadel (!!) in order to scrape by while they figure out some way to make their own stadium meet the minimum FBS NCAA attendance requirement (!!!).

While I think EKU heading to the Sun Belt from the OCS isn't a great idea for the Colonels (the OVC is such a strong mid-major in hoops I question why they would want to leave that for PIG status), the SBC taking Coastal is a horrible idea if it's any sooner than the 2020 season. They're simply not ready and any contingency plan looks uncomfortably like UMass' textbook-how-not-to-move-to-FBS situation.

I can see your point. But UNCC started a football program from scratch and got an invite from Conference USA. Logic doesn't prevail.

dgtw
August 31st, 2015, 03:24 PM
I can see your point. But UNCC started a football program from scratch and got an invite from Conference USA. Logic doesn't prevail.

UNCC had been in C-USA for years until they got got kicked out for not sponsoring football. There may have been some sort of handshake deal to let them back in if they ever started one.

rokamortis
August 31st, 2015, 03:31 PM

Just because it sounds good in your mind doesn't make it true. coastal has never said it would rent the Citadel's stadium. What president DeCenzo has said is we'd begin the process to upgrade the stadium to 20,000+ upon an invite from the SBC.

Your scenario where it is "UMASS like" is just way off base.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 31st, 2015, 03:37 PM
Just because it sounds good in your mind doesn't make it true. coastal has never said it would rent the Citadel's stadium. What president DeCenzo has said is we'd begin the process to upgrade the stadium to 20,000+ upon an invite from the SBC.

Your scenario where it is "UMASS like" is just way off base.

So then what's the plan? How else could they plausibly average 15K fans? Play all their games on the road?

RootinFerDukes
August 31st, 2015, 04:00 PM
The 15k fbs attendance requirement is a joke. It's never been enforced. If you've ever watched a ga state game, there is literally one or two hundred people in the stands. Eastern Michigan?

clenz
August 31st, 2015, 04:21 PM
The 15k fbs attendance requirement is a joke. It's never been enforced. If you've ever watched a ga state game, there is literally one or two hundred people in the stands. Eastern Michigan?
They have the ability to have big time donors/coporations buy enough tickets to still average 15k sold.

Tough to sell 15k tickets in a stadium that holds 9,200

superman7515
August 31st, 2015, 04:23 PM
They have the ability to have big time donors/coporations buy enough tickets to still average 15k sold.

But they only have to average 15k once every two years, so as long as they get the stadium above 15k in time for the 2017 season, they would be fine. Considering they would be FCS in 2015 and FCS transitional in 2016, they'd never miss a beat.

RootinFerDukes
August 31st, 2015, 04:25 PM

I hope student fees won't be funding these upgrades. Maybe they should hit up their head coach to personally finance the expansion.

Yeah, when the NCAA defines attendance as "tickets sold", schools can get by with creatively fudging their numbers. Even comped tickets count. You have to take reported numbers with a boulder of salt.

Sandlapper Spike
August 31st, 2015, 04:36 PM
CCU would not be renting The Citadel's stadium, for a host of reasons, including:

1) It's too far away from CCU's campus. Much too far.
2) For The Citadel to rent CCU the stadium in the first place would be extremely problematic (regardless of anything you've read in the newspaper recently).

There are a lot of unknowns, but that's not happening.

AshevilleApp2
August 31st, 2015, 04:47 PM
UNCC had been in C-USA for years until they got got kicked out for not sponsoring football. There may have been some sort of handshake deal to let them back in if they ever started one.

Honestly didn't know that. Thanks!

Lehigh Football Nation
August 31st, 2015, 04:49 PM
CCU would not be renting The Citadel's stadium, for a host of reasons, including:

1) It's too far away from CCU's campus. Much too far.
2) For The Citadel to rent CCU the stadium in the first place would be extremely problematic (regardless of anything you've read in the newspaper recently).

There are a lot of unknowns, but that's not happening.

Thanks for the clarification. So if Johnson-Hagood is off the table, again, what sort of plan is then even possible? I am really at a loss as to any other possible 2016/2017 options. I can't see them expanding the stadium before then. Can it even expand to 20,000?

MU22
August 31st, 2015, 04:55 PM
I hope student fees won't be funding these upgrades. Maybe they should hit up their head coach to personally finance the expansion.

Yeah, when the NCAA defines attendance as "tickets sold", schools can get by with creatively fudging their numbers. Even comped tickets count. You have to take reported numbers with a boulder of salt.

Their AD and President have already come out to say no increase to student fees, and that Moglia isn't funding anything.

They are apparently diving into available contingency money, which they must feel comfortable spending in an effort to elevate their institution. Some schools don't always save rainy-day funds for rainy days. I'm sure there is some risk, but CCU probably feels that with the SoCon having snubbed them in the past, their only avenue out of the Big South is to grab onto the opportunity that has presented itself.

AshevilleApp2
August 31st, 2015, 04:57 PM
Okay, I have to ask this. Why, at the beginning of football season, and after a classic this past Saturday, is the contemptible "Sun Belch" Conference still generating enough interest to have a 46 page thread devoted to it? xeyebrowx

clenz
August 31st, 2015, 07:08 PM
CCU has a "historic" announcement scheduled for tomorrow afternoon

RootinFerDukes
August 31st, 2015, 07:15 PM
Their AD and President have already come out to say no increase to student fees, and that Moglia isn't funding anything.

They are apparently diving into available contingency money, which they must feel comfortable spending in an effort to elevate their institution. Some schools don't always save rainy-day funds for rainy days. I'm sure there is some risk, but CCU probably feels that with the SoCon having snubbed them in the past, their only avenue out of the Big South is to grab onto the opportunity that has presented itself.

So contingency money is funding this move and all its costs. That sounds... Fiscally responsible.

Drblankstare
Just saw it on Twitter. Wouldn't be my choice but best of luck anyway.

DoWe
Okay, I have to ask this. Why, at the beginning of football season, and after a classic this past Saturday, is the contemptible "Sun Belch" Conference still generating enough interest to have a 46 page thread devoted to it? xeyebrowx

Because they are concerned that the Sun Belt is going to poach another FCS member. Actually the Sun Belch rhetoric has calmed down. This discussion is becoming less about the FCS homers' (and you know who you are) disdain for the Sun Belt, and more about real things like funding the move. That's a real issue.

IBleedYellow
August 31st, 2015, 07:36 PM
See ya, Chants.

knucklehead
August 31st, 2015, 07:47 PM
Time to curb stomp them on 11/19 on national TV

MarkCCU
August 31st, 2015, 07:47 PM

That will never happen.

IBleedYellow
August 31st, 2015, 07:56 PM
So when is CCU going to mention that they are going to be upping their stadium size?

MarkCCU
August 31st, 2015, 08:02 PM
So when is CCU going to mention that they are going to be upping their stadium size?

I'm assuming sometime after 1300 tomorrow.

IBleedYellow
August 31st, 2015, 08:07 PM
I'm assuming sometime after 1300 tomorrow.

I'd assume it'd be part of the plan.

MarkCCU
August 31st, 2015, 08:08 PM
I'd assume it'd be part of the plan.

It would be a requirement.

knucklehead
August 31st, 2015, 08:13 PM
Hope they can find a ton of fans somewhere

superman7515
August 31st, 2015, 08:16 PM
Congrats Coastal, best of luck.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 31st, 2015, 08:16 PM
And the separation within the G5 continues to grow. CCU has next to nothing in common with Cincinnati, Boise State, UCF, ECU, UConn, San Diego State, Temple, Memphis, Colorado State, Nevada, etc.....

Perhaps it is time for the MWC and AAC to consider a merger.....

Apphole
August 31st, 2015, 08:20 PM

Because your penis envy demands it

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 31st, 2015, 08:30 PM
I am in favor of adding Coastal. The worst-case scenario is that Coastal becomes a UL-Monroe with better baseball.

Glad we're taking an athletic program on the rise with some apparent potential instead of chasing a ridculous "media market" pipe dream.

MU22
August 31st, 2015, 08:36 PM
So contingency money is funding this move and all its costs. That sounds... Fiscally responsible.

Contingency is probably the wrong word. Discretionary is probably more appropriate.

I have to admit I'm not concerned enough to go back and find the original article where I read it, but it was clear that their President felt it was good stewardship of the dollars they had at their disposal. In the article they were both clear it wouldn't be done with student fees, so if they have a path to putting together the type of financial structure needed to make the leap, more power to them.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 31st, 2015, 08:37 PM
I am in favor of adding Coastal. The worst-case scenario is that Coastal becomes a UL-Monroe with better baseball.

Glad we're taking an athletic program on the rise with some apparent potential instead of chasing a ridculous "media market" pipe dream.

I just don't see how this helps the SBC get out of the G5 basement. Standing pat and hoping Georgia State, Troy State and Idaho turn it around would have been a far better decision imo. If I was a GSU, UL-Lafayette, App State or Texas State fan I'd hate adding another move-up. Having all of those 100+ ranked teams is brutal when it's already an uphill climb to the access bowl spot.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 31st, 2015, 08:39 PM

What a ringing endorsement!

IBleedYellow
August 31st, 2015, 08:46 PM
What a ringing endorsement!

I know that you cheer for a school that can't ever even blink at having a chance for FBS, but your undying HATE for FBS football is so apparent and exaggerated it's almost funny.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 31st, 2015, 08:53 PM
I know that you cheer for a school that can't ever even blink at having a chance for FBS, but your undying HATE for FBS football is so apparent and exaggerated it's almost funny.

Actually, if Lehigh really wanted to play FBS they could. They have the money, facilities and location to do it. Lehigh would EASILY draw 25-30k for games against Rutgers, BC, Duke, Navy, Army etc. The school simply has, and wisely so, no interest in pursuing it. Colgate and Holy Cross were there once, not THAT long ago....

APaladindad
August 31st, 2015, 08:56 PM
Congratulations CCU, I will see you guys Saturday at Furman to congratulate you in person on your move to FBS! I hope it goes as well for you as it has for App and GSU!

tigonian02
August 31st, 2015, 09:02 PM
Congrats Coastal! Welcome to the #FunBelt! Can't wait to come to Myrtle Beach to christen the new Paulson North! :) xdrunkyx

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 31st, 2015, 09:09 PM
I just don't see how this helps the SBC get out of the G5 basement. Standing pat and hoping Georgia State, Troy State and Idaho turn it around would have been a far better decision imo. If I was a GSU, UL-Lafayette, App State or Texas State fan I'd hate adding another move-up. Having all of those 100+ ranked teams is brutal when it's already an uphill climb to the access bowl spot.

I honestly think Coastal has more potential than a lot of the dead weight in both the CUSA and MAC. When Idaho and NMSU are booted the SBC will surpass both of those if it hasn't already.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 31st, 2015, 09:17 PM

I dont hate FBS college football. I love big time bowl games involving storied teams great players and interesting storylines. That's not what the Sun Belt provides, however. They provide UL-Monroe with better baseball. And if they're not interested in playing for my subdivision championsjip AFAIC they don't exist.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 31st, 2015, 09:26 PM
I honestly think Coastal has more potential than a lot of the dead weight in both the CUSA and MAC. When Idaho and NMSU are booted the SBC will surpass both of those if it hasn't already.

The MAC will be tough. It has established a credible niche over the last 15 or so years. The schools in the MAC have some really strong ties in key Mid-Western cities which helps with the conference's marketing footprint. The Big 10 has always maintained close ties with the MAC which has also been a tremendous boost.

NIU has recently been to the Orange Bowl, Toledo always gets good exposure, Ohio is steady with Solich and there's usually one two other teams that step-up. You also can't ignore the academic side. Miami(OH), UMass and Suny-Buffalo are really good schools. The SBC is still filled with mostly regional schools without a lot of reach. I'm not saying they're not quality schools but I'm not sure how far their names carry. Miami(OH) well known coast to coast imo....

The MAC has also remained very stable. Temple came and went and UMass will be gone before too long but, in general, it's been the same schools within the same geographical footprint for as long as I can remember.

Cocky
August 31st, 2015, 10:02 PM
Dont leave troy out, link will show picture of 17,000+
http://gojaxstate.boards.net/thread/1307/troy-me-wanna-puke?page=3

jsnow84
September 1st, 2015, 01:36 AM
I am sure that CCU can build a bigger football stadium, I have zero confidence they will be able to fill it. I see another UMass happening here. Too big a jump too soon for CCU. Rots of ruck to the Sea Chickens, they are going to need it.

RootinFerDukes
September 1st, 2015, 06:07 AM
Contingency is probably the wrong word. Discretionary is probably more appropriate.

I have to admit I'm not concerned enough to go back and find the original article where I read it, but it was clear that their President felt it was good stewardship of the dollars they had at their disposal. In the article they were both clear it wouldn't be done with student fees, so if they have a path to putting together the type of financial structure needed to make the leap, more power to them.

If I were a ccu faculty and heard they're using anything other than private funds to pay for this move, I'd be livid this morning. I wish them luck. They're already ahead of at least ga state and their 200 fans.

knucklehead
September 1st, 2015, 06:14 AM
I am sure that CCU can build a bigger football stadium, I have zero confidence they will be able to fill it. I see another UMass happening here. Too big a jump too soon for CCU. Rots of ruck to the Sea Chickens, they are going to need it.
Will be interesting to watch. It's hard to see it happening.

OL FU
September 1st, 2015, 06:33 AM
I have kinda missed out. So, it is definitely CCU? If so congrats is this is what you want. (and I don't mean it sarcastically, just like with ASU and GSU, I would prefer you didn't leave the division, but I wish you the best of luck. )

Baldy
September 1st, 2015, 06:43 AM
I dont hate FBS college football. I love big time bowl games involving storied teams great players and interesting storylines. That's not what the Sun Belt provides, however. They provide UL-Monroe with better baseball. And if they're not interested in playing for my subdivision championsjip AFAIC they don't exist.
Really? You sure do waste a lot of your time talking about it...xeyebrowx

Mattymc727
September 1st, 2015, 06:46 AM

UNH does it. The old cowell technically only sat like 7k people, but to get into the tailgate, you needed a ticket. They sold like 17k tickets a year or two ago, only half could actually watch the game

Baldy
September 1st, 2015, 06:49 AM
Idaho is only a temporary football only member. I don't doubt Troy will turn it around, but I just hope C-USA takes more dead weight like GA State. xnodx

dgtw
September 1st, 2015, 07:00 AM
If I were a ccu faculty and heard they're using anything other than private funds to pay for this move, I'd be livid this morning. I wish them luck. They're already ahead of at least ga state and their 200 fans.

I think you put an extra zero in the fan count.

Bisonator
September 1st, 2015, 07:59 AM
Good luck to CC. I got to admit I didn't think that was going to happen and I wonder if it's the best decision but to each there own. Hope it works out for you guys.

clenz
September 1st, 2015, 08:28 AM
this

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 1st, 2015, 08:54 AM
It was mentioned on the AAC board that with the addition of CCU there will be 130 FBS teams, 65 P5 and 65 G5. Interesting.....

ST_Lawson
September 1st, 2015, 09:25 AM
It'll be interesting to see the timeline that they go with. We currently have a home-and-home scheduled with them, with us going down there in a few weeks, and them scheduled to make a visit to Western in 2017. I wonder if they'll see about buying out their game or if we'll end up getting an FBS or FBS-transitional team playing in Macomb.