PDA

View Full Version : 2015 AGS Poll: Which Teams Are Eligible?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 22nd, 2015, 03:48 PM
-----------------------------
Alabama A&M Bulldogs
Alabama State Hornets
Albany Great Danes
Alcorn State Braves
Arkansas Pine Bluff Golden Lions
Austin Peay Governors

Bethune-Cookman Wildcats
Brown Bears
Bryant Bulldogs
Bucknell Bison
Butler Bulldogs

Cal Poly Mustangs
Campbell Fighting Camels
Central Arkansas Bears
Central Connecticut State Blue Devils
Charleston Southern Buccaneers
Chattanooga Mocs
Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
Colgate Raiders
Columbia Lions
Cornell Big Red

Dartmouth Big Green
Davidson Wildcats
Dayton Flyers
Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
Delaware State Hornets
Drake Bulldogs
Duquesne Dukes

Eastern Illinois Panthers
Eastern Kentucky Colonels
Eastern Washington Eagles
Elon Phoenix

Florida A&M Rattlers
Fordham Rams
Furman Paladins

Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs
Georgetown Hoyas
Grambling State Tigers

Hampton Pirates
Harvard Crimson
Holy Cross Crusaders
Howard Bison

Idaho State Bengals
Illinois State Redbirds
Indiana State Sycamores

Jackson State Tigers
Jacksonville Dolphins
Jacksonville State Gamecocks
James Madison Dukes

Lafayette Leopards
Lamar Cardinals
Lehigh Mountain Hawks
Liberty Flames

Maine Black Bears
Marist Red Foxes
McNeese State Cowboys
Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils
Missouri State Bears
Monmouth Hawks
Montana Grizzlies
Montana State Bobcats
Morehead State Eagles
Morgan State Bears
Murray State Racers

New Hampshire Wildcats
Nicholls State Colonels
Norfolk State Spartans
North Carolina A&T Aggies
North Carolina Central Eagles
North Dakota (UND)
North Dakota State Bison
Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
Northern Colorado Bears
Northern Iowa Panthers
Northwestern State Demons

Pennsylvania Quakers
Portland State Vikings
Prairie View A&M Panthers
Presbyterian Blue Hose
Princeton Tigers

Rhode Island Rams
Richmond Spiders
Robert Morris Colonials

Sacramento State Hornets
Sacred Heart Pioneers
Saint Francis Red Flash
Sam Houston State Bearkats
Samford Bulldogs
San Diego Toreros
Savannah State Tigers
South Carolina State Bulldogs
South Dakota Coyotes
South Dakota State Jackrabbits
Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
Southeastern Louisiana Lions
Southern Illinois Salukis
Southern Jaguars
Southern Utah Thunderbirds
Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
Stony Brook Seawolves

Tennessee State Tigers
Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles
Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
Texas Southern Tigers
The Citadel Bulldogs
Towson Tigers

UC Davis Aggies

Valparaiso Crusaders
Villanova Wildcats
Virginia Military Institute Keydets

Wagner Seahawks
Weber State Wildcats
Western Carolina Catamounts
Western Illinois Leathernecks
William & Mary Tribe
Wofford Terriers

Yale Bulldogs
Youngstown State Penguins
-----------------------------

This is the current list of teams eligible for 2015 AGS Poll. Some updates are needed this season of course.

If a new team like Kennesaw State or Mercer is eligible for their conference title OR they are eligible for the playoffs then they go on this list.

So, who all gets added? Let's hash this out.

melloware13
July 22nd, 2015, 04:20 PM
I'd think that Mercer and Stetson, both being in year 3 and having been DI previously, should be eligible. ETSU and Kennesaw aren't.

FUBeAR
July 22nd, 2015, 06:18 PM
Mercer is eligible to win the SoCon Championship and participate in the FCS Playoffs in 2015...as they were in 2014...and also were in 2013 (except it was the PFL that year, not the SoCon)

superman7515
July 22nd, 2015, 07:58 PM
Mercer is eligible to win the SoCon Championship and participate in the FCS Playoffs in 2015...as they were in 2014...and also were in 2013 (except it was the PFL that year, not the SoCon)

Except they weren't in 2014... or 2013... Because the NCAA has a two-year transition period and they were barred from playoff participation during that time...

clenz
July 22nd, 2015, 08:05 PM
Except they weren't in 2014... or 2013... Because the NCAA has a two-year transition period and they were barred from playoff participation during that time...http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/22/07f74c7ec8c1581e2e1e04722e0a6d5f.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ursus arctos horribilis
July 22nd, 2015, 09:47 PM
Except they weren't in 2014... or 2013... Because the NCAA has a two-year transition period and they were barred from playoff participation during that time...

I was pretty sure we had went over this last year and they weren't eligible for the reason you mentioned but wasn't solid on it so figured I'd let it ride and see if there was a correction coming.

So Mercer is in this year. Do we have any of the new SLC's or anyone else?

FUBeAR
July 23rd, 2015, 01:40 AM

For 2014, I will cite the following source as verification of Mercer's eligibility for the SoCon Football Championship and participation in the FCS Playoffs. This is an NCAA Publication entitled "Pre-Championship Manual, 2014 Football Championship, Division I" and published 10/13/14 (link below), so I think that should be sufficient for verification. Please see Appendix B - "Sport Sponsorship" beginning on Page 21. On Page 23, you will find the "South Region." Within the South Region, you will see the section headed "Southern Conference (8)." Listed among the Southern Conference schools, you will see "Mercer University" and 7 other Southern Conference (football) Schools. Please note the "(8)" in the header and that you see no parenthetical comments to the right of "Mercer University." Now refer to Page 24. and note the section headed "Southland Conference (9/*11)". You will see 11 Southland Conference Schools listed including "Abilene Christian University" and "University of the Incarnate Word." Note the parenthetical comments beside each of these 2 schools, "(not eligible until 2017)." Finally, see the note at the bottom of the Southland Conference section which refers to the asterisk in the header and states, "*Please note the first figure in parentheses lists the number of eligible teams in the conference for the 2014 championship."

As there is an "(8)" beside "Southern Conference" and nothing else...and there are 8 schools in that section...and there is no parenthetical comment beside "Mercer University," I think it is very clear that Mercer was, in fact, eligible in 2014.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/PreChamp_D1_Football_2014-15_Revised2.pdf

As for 2013, I am unable to locate a similar document, but I believe the 'driver' as to why Mercer was not subject to the NCAA's "two year transition period," that you cited, during 2013 and 2014, is that Mercer was already an NCAA D1 school prior to re-starting football in 2013. They were not 'transitioning' from another level or another organizing body. I suppose both the PFL and the SoCon could have imposed their own restrictions regarding conference title eligibility and playoff participation as a condition of obtaining membership (as may be/have been the case with Kennesaw, ETSU, and other 'non-transitioners' prior - I don't know that, just speculating), but it is my understanding from Sr-Level Officials in Mercer's Football, Athletics, and University Administration that neither conference did. I'm sorry that these were only verbal conversations, so at this time, beyond the obvious conclusion that Mercer was not subject to a 2 year transition period, I cannot provide positive affirmation that they were eligible in 2013.

Interested if anyone can provide positive, authoritative-source documentation that they were not. If so, I will certainly stand corrected and apologize for providing erroneous information to the AGS Message Board.

-------------------------------------------

Oh yeah....one other thing...

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/22/07f74c7ec8c1581e2e1e04722e0a6d5f.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Really?

lionsrking2
July 23rd, 2015, 03:07 AM
For 2014, I will cite the following source as verification of Mercer's eligibility for the SoCon Football Championship and participation in the FCS Playoffs. This is an NCAA Publication entitled "Pre-Championship Manual, 2014 Football Championship, Division I" and published 10/13/14 (link below), so I think that should be sufficient for verification. Please see Appendix B - "Sport Sponsorship" beginning on Page 21. On Page 23, you will find the "South Region." Within the South Region, you will see the section headed "Southern Conference (8)." Listed among the Southern Conference schools, you will see "Mercer University" and 7 other Southern Conference (football) Schools. Please note the "(8)" in the header and that you see no parenthetical comments to the right of "Mercer University." Now refer to Page 24. and note the section headed "Southland Conference (9/*11)". You will see 11 Southland Conference Schools listed including "Abilene Christian University" and "University of the Incarnate Word." Note the parenthetical comments beside each of these 2 schools, "(not eligible until 2017)." Finally, see the note at the bottom of the Southland Conference section which refers to the asterisk in the header and states, "*Please note the first figure in parentheses lists the number of eligible teams in the conference for the 2014 championship."

As there is an "(8)" beside "Southern Conference" and nothing else...and there are 8 schools in that section...and there is no parenthetical comment beside "Mercer University," I think it is very clear that Mercer was, in fact, eligible in 2014.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/PreChamp_D1_Football_2014-15_Revised2.pdf

As for 2013, I am unable to locate a similar document, but I believe the 'driver' as to why Mercer was not subject to the NCAA's "two year transition period," that you cited, during 2013 and 2014, is that Mercer was already an NCAA D1 school prior to re-starting football in 2013. They were not 'transitioning' from another level or another organizing body. I suppose both the PFL and the SoCon could have imposed their own restrictions regarding conference title eligibility and playoff participation as a condition of obtaining membership (as may be/have been the case with Kennesaw, ETSU, and other 'non-transitioners' prior - I don't know that, just speculating), but it is my understanding from Sr-Level Officials in Mercer's Football, Athletics, and University Administration that neither conference did. I'm sorry that these were only verbal conversations, so at this time, beyond the obvious conclusion that they were not subject to the 2 year transition period, I cannot provide positive affirmation that they were eligible in 2013.

Interested if anyone can provide positive, authoritative source documentation that they were not. If so, I will certainly stand corrected and apologize for being mistaken.

-------------------------------------------

Oh yeah....one other thing...

Really?

The way I understand it, Mercer should have been eligible for the playoffs in both 2013 and 2014 because they were already Division I, and not considered to be transitioning. I looked at both schedules and they appear to have played enough D-I games in both years. I'm pretty sure both Kennesaw State and ETSU are technically eligible this year. We were eligible in 2003 when we restarted our program ... same with Lamar in 2010. Houston Baptist is eligible in our league because they were already D-I, ACU and Incarnate Word are not because they are both transitioning from D-II.

melloware13
July 23rd, 2015, 10:50 AM
Using that manual, Stetson, Mercer, and HBU are all eligible this year, since they were playoff-eligible last year. IIRC, first year programs are not eligible even if they are an existing DI program (Georgia State was ineligible in 2010), so Kennesaw and ETSU have to wait until 2016. Then ACU and IW get added in 2017.

FUBeAR
July 23rd, 2015, 11:36 AM
Using that manual, Stetson, Mercer, and HBU are all eligible this year, since they were playoff-eligible last year. IIRC, first year programs are not eligible even if they are an existing DI program (Georgia State was ineligible in 2010), so Kennesaw and ETSU have to wait until 2016. Then ACU and IW get added in 2017.

The Big South says Kennesaw IS eligible in 2015 - http://www.bigsouthsports.com/entries/big-south-conference-adds-kennesaw-state-as-associate-football-member

9/4/13 - "CHARLOTTE, N.C. (www.BigSouthSports.com (http://www.BigSouthSports.com)) – The Big South Conference has added Kennesaw State University as an associate member in football, it was announced today by Big South Commissioner Kyle B. Kallander. Kennesaw State will begin competing in the Big South in 2015 and will be eligible for the League’s championship and automatic bid to the FCS Playoffs upon entry."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Kennesaw says Kennesaw IS eligible in 2015... https://web.kennesaw.edu/news/stories/kennesaw-state-football-joins-big-south-conference-associate-member

"Kennesaw State football joins Big South Conference as associate member
Owls to play inaugural season in 2015

KENNESAW, Ga. (Sept. 4, 2013) —University president Daniel S. Papp formally announced today that Kennesaw State University has accepted an invitation to join the Big South Conference as an associate member in football beginning in 2015. The Owls will immediately be eligible for the Big South’s championship and automatic bid to the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) Playoffs upon entry."

Missingnumber7
July 23rd, 2015, 11:40 AM
The Big South says Kennesaw IS eligible in 2015 - http://www.bigsouthsports.com/entries/big-south-conference-adds-kennesaw-state-as-associate-football-member

9/4/13 - "CHARLOTTE, N.C. (www.BigSouthSports.com (http://www.BigSouthSports.com)) – The Big South Conference has added Kennesaw State University as an associate member in football, it was announced today by Big South Commissioner Kyle B. Kallander. Kennesaw State will begin competing in the Big South in 2015 and will be eligible for the League’s championship and automatic bid to the FCS Playoffs upon entry."

Because Conference Commissioners are never wrong.

FUBeAR
July 23rd, 2015, 11:51 AM
Because Conference Commissioners are never wrong.

I surrender. Y'all think whatever the @$^%^%& you want to think.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ywCELqaCqx0/hqdefault.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
July 23rd, 2015, 12:21 PM
I've added Mercer, they are good for sure this year. So if KSU is eligible then I'll have to add them in before the season starts...it looks like we are sure on that one too?

BTW, thank you FUBEAR for doing some legwork cuz that really helps and I appreciate the effort man!

ursus arctos horribilis
July 23rd, 2015, 12:24 PM
I surrender. Y'all think whatever the @$^%^%& you want to think.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ywCELqaCqx0/hqdefault.jpg

Hey, this is how things go man. You injected some humor in that one so good job but we have to debate these things to the end my man. xlolx

Plus, sometimes they are wrong but I wouldn't think so AT LEAST about the Big South conference which is all they need to be eligible for to be included in this poll.