PDA

View Full Version : OOC FCS regional match ups....

Daytripper
July 15th, 2015, 02:55 PM
That you would like your team to have. Since UNI/Montana is now a thing, it got me thinking about a good OOC FCS top tier regional game that I would like to see happen. I think a home and home against Jacksonville State would be nice for SHSU.

BEAR
July 15th, 2015, 03:24 PM
I think a home/home with Missouri State is an awesome idea. Both recent games have been won by a last second drive or extra long field goal. Both fan bases are really enjoying those games!

SU DOG
July 15th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Seems ridiculous to me that Samford and JSU don't meet every year. And YES, I think the problem has been that Samford didn't want that to happen. I guess the shellacking we took in the Playoffs doesn't help our desire any either. IMO, there was some good grounds for not playing when Jack Crowe was there. I always considered him unethical, and still believe he tried to hurt Cortland Finnegan when the JSU player cold-cocked him on a fair catch. There were MANY other things also, but Crowe has been long gone, and that is not a factor now. Granted when we played JSU, they dominated us mercilessly, and the rivalry never really developed like it should have. My philosophy is: if you can't beat 'em then improve yourself until you can. I miss the huge crowds, the Marching Southerners, and the anticipation of playing those guys. I think, that Playoff game aside, it could become a much more competitive series at this point in time. I, for one, would welcome its return.

KPSUL
July 15th, 2015, 03:55 PM
I'd like to see a UNH / Harvard home and away series.

BisonFan02
July 15th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Nope....can't think of any. xlolx

clenz
July 15th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Once you get west of the Appalachian Mountain range your only regional games are conference games, really.

I loved the games that UNI has played against the SLC and love the recent uptick in Big Sky games the last decade.

With the SCL going to 9 conference games I think we're going to lose those games, which is a shame. They are the schools UNI has played the most outside of conference teams (or teams that used to be in the MVFC/Gateway/NCC

South Dakota St.

Drake (IA)

North Dakota St.

South Dakota

Western Illinois

North Dakota

Missouri St.

Southern Illinois

Illinois St.

Indiana St.

Youngstown St. (OH)

Eastern Illinois

McNeese St. (LA)

Stephen F. Austin (TX)

Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo

Eastern Washington

Montana

Southern Utah

Northern Arizona

Northern Colorado

Montana St.

New Hampshire

Weber St. (UT)

Delaware

Idaho St.

Maine

Morgan St. (MD)

Southeast Missouri St.

Dayton (OH)

Delaware St.

Eastern Kentucky

Jacksonville St. (AL)

Lamar (TX)

Lehigh (PA)

Murray St. (KY)

Nicholls St. (LA)

Northwestern St. (LA)

Prairie View A&M (TX)

Richmond (VA)

Saint Francis (PA)

Tennessee Tech

William & Mary (VA)

Wofford (SC)

So, if we take conference schools out this is the most common UNI opponents

Drake (IA)

McNeese St. (LA)

Stephen F. Austin (TX)

Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo

Eastern Washington

Montana

Southern Utah

Northern Arizona

Northern Colorado

Montana St.

New Hampshire

Weber St. (UT)

Delaware

Idaho St.

Maine

Morgan St. (MD)

Southeast Missouri St.

Dayton (OH)

Delaware St.

Eastern Kentucky

Jacksonville St. (AL)

Lamar (TX)

Lehigh (PA)

Murray St. (KY)

Nicholls St. (LA)

Northwestern St. (LA)

Prairie View A&M (TX)

Richmond (VA)

Saint Francis (PA)

Tennessee Tech

William & Mary (VA)

Wofford (SC)

Believe it or not - Drake and UNI have NEVER shared a football conference.

UNI has games schedule with EWU, Montana, and Cal Poly and in the last decade have played UNC, NAU, and SUU multiple times in the regular season. I'd love to see all of those back on the schedule. Drake there's no reason not to play something like 3 out of 5 years but they don't like the idea of playing UNI - they love saying they are the "same level" as UNI, especially when they go 9-2 playing the PFL schedule and brag about a better record than UNI. Playing UNI destroys that myth. A continual H/H every other year *should* happen, IMO. I won't be shocked when UND ends up on our schedule again sometime between 2018 and 2021.

Honestly, I'd love to see some teams from the east get out of their little happy land and get the balls to travel west. I know UNI has tried to get CAA schools but have been told "Nope, we won't play out that way unless you give us 2 (sometimes 3) home games. Coach Farley firmly believes in playing "anyone, anywhere" but not if the terms are ****.

Grizalltheway
July 15th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Wouldn't mind one with Sam Houston, so long as they can find a way not to have it in late August/early September.

mainejeff
July 16th, 2015, 05:24 AM
For Maine:

1. Harvard
2. Yale (happening this season)
3. Holy Cross

Just outside of New England:

1. Lehigh
2. Penn
3. Lafayette

superman7515
July 16th, 2015, 05:51 AM
Take your pick; any of the Ivy, Patriot, NEC, MEAC, SoCon, Big South teams are okay. A cupcake is a cupcake, at that point we're just debating how much icing we want on it.

xlolx

OL FU
July 16th, 2015, 06:32 AM
William & Mary
Richmond
Jacksonville State (oh yeahxembarrassedx)

BISON Thunder
July 16th, 2015, 07:19 AM
Cal Poly

Professor Chaos
July 16th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Since there isn't much regional outside of the Big Sky schools that NDSU already is playing/has played I'll say Chattanooga.

Seawolf97
July 16th, 2015, 11:26 AM
This year we host CCSU on 9/12 for the first time in years. I know we visit Fordham in 2019 not sure if and when they would come to Long Island. Wish list would be a series with Fordham, Yale and Columbia all within 50 miles Eastern Long Island . Not much else locally unless we go deeper into New England , Pennsylvania or go south . Plenty of good programs such as Lehigh, Holy Cross, Harvard or Sacred Heart not to forget Wagner are also close. Wouldn't mind playing some of our old Big South mates such as Coastal or Liberty again either.

Lehigh'98
July 16th, 2015, 12:15 PM
Take your pick; any of the Ivy, Patriot, NEC, MEAC, SoCon, Big South teams are okay. A cupcake is a cupcake, at that point we're just debating how much icing we want on it.

xlolx

Oooohhhh burn!! Is Delaware considered a cupcake now? I know, we should have a 18 page thread on Delaware's home and home games vs. Lehigh.

ElonFirefighter
July 16th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Id love to see APP Elon now that Elon left the SoCon, and don't give me crap that App is not FCS, they play in the Sun Belt or the GSU domination League :D:D

dgtw
July 16th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Seems ridiculous to me that Samford and JSU don't meet every year. And YES, I think the problem has been that Samford didn't want that to happen. I guess the shellacking we took in the Playoffs doesn't help our desire any either. IMO, there was some good grounds for not playing when Jack Crowe was there. I always considered him unethical, and still believe he tried to hurt Cortland Finnegan when the JSU player cold-cocked him on a fair catch. There were MANY other things also, but Crowe has been long gone, and that is not a factor now. Granted when we played JSU, they dominated us mercilessly, and the rivalry never really developed like it should have. My philosophy is: if you can't beat 'em then improve yourself until you can. I miss the huge crowds, the Marching Southerners, and the anticipation of playing those guys. I think, that Playoff game aside, it could become a much more competitive series at this point in time. I, for one, would welcome its return.

Amen to that. It would be win/win for both sides, no matter what the final score was. A short drive for the visiting team saves a bunch of travel money right there. Then the visiting crowd is going to be pretty decent. If you play it every year, a rivalry builds and fans get more into it as time goes on, especially if the series is competitive. I'd love to play Samford and UTC every year. Maybe rig the schedules so each hosts one and visits one each year.

UNIFanSince1983
July 16th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Once you get west of the Appalachian Mountain range your only regional games are conference games, really.

I loved the games that UNI has played against the SLC and love the recent uptick in Big Sky games the last decade.

With the SCL going to 9 conference games I think we're going to lose those games, which is a shame. They are the schools UNI has played the most outside of conference teams (or teams that used to be in the MVFC/Gateway/NCC

South Dakota St.

Drake (IA)

North Dakota St.

South Dakota

Western Illinois

North Dakota

Missouri St.

Southern Illinois

Illinois St.

Indiana St.

Youngstown St. (OH)

Eastern Illinois

McNeese St. (LA)

Stephen F. Austin (TX)

Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo

Eastern Washington

Montana

Southern Utah

Northern Arizona

Northern Colorado

Montana St.

New Hampshire

Weber St. (UT)

Delaware

Idaho St.

Maine

Morgan St. (MD)

Southeast Missouri St.

Dayton (OH)

Delaware St.

Eastern Kentucky

Jacksonville St. (AL)

Lamar (TX)

Lehigh (PA)

Murray St. (KY)

Nicholls St. (LA)

Northwestern St. (LA)

Prairie View A&M (TX)

Richmond (VA)

Saint Francis (PA)

Tennessee Tech

William & Mary (VA)

Wofford (SC)

So, if we take conference schools out this is the most common UNI opponents

Drake (IA)

McNeese St. (LA)

Stephen F. Austin (TX)

Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo

Eastern Washington

Montana

Southern Utah

Northern Arizona

Northern Colorado

Montana St.

New Hampshire

Weber St. (UT)

Delaware

Idaho St.

Maine

Morgan St. (MD)

Southeast Missouri St.

Dayton (OH)

Delaware St.

Eastern Kentucky

Jacksonville St. (AL)

Lamar (TX)

Lehigh (PA)

Murray St. (KY)

Nicholls St. (LA)

Northwestern St. (LA)

Prairie View A&M (TX)

Richmond (VA)

Saint Francis (PA)

Tennessee Tech

William & Mary (VA)

Wofford (SC)

Believe it or not - Drake and UNI have NEVER shared a football conference.

UNI has games schedule with EWU, Montana, and Cal Poly and in the last decade have played UNC, NAU, and SUU multiple times in the regular season. I'd love to see all of those back on the schedule. Drake there's no reason not to play something like 3 out of 5 years but they don't like the idea of playing UNI - they love saying they are the "same level" as UNI, especially when they go 9-2 playing the PFL schedule and brag about a better record than UNI. Playing UNI destroys that myth. A continual H/H every other year *should* happen, IMO. I won't be shocked when UND ends up on our schedule again sometime between 2018 and 2021.

Honestly, I'd love to see some teams from the east get out of their little happy land and get the balls to travel west. I know UNI has tried to get CAA schools but have been told "Nope, we won't play out that way unless you give us 2 (sometimes 3) home games. Coach Farley firmly believes in playing "anyone, anywhere" but not if the terms are ****.

Quite honestly I would love to see EIU on the schedule again. The ole Blue Panthers vs Purple Panthers.

Sitting Bull
July 17th, 2015, 05:59 AM
William & Mary
Richmond
Jacksonville State (oh yeahxembarrassedx)

Agree on this.

for W&M:
VMI
Furman
Penn
Liberty
Lehigh
Princeton

All above at times have rotated on the schedule, Penn most recent. We are overdue with Furman.

i would have added Elon - though now a CAA mate!

VMI was something like 80 consecutive years, just suddenly stopped about 10 years ago. W&M has won something like 35 straight, the current FCS record, could be why.

Brad82
July 17th, 2015, 11:26 AM
URI playing Harvard next 3 years,good idea.
would like to play Yale,Fordham Columbia,Sacred Heart.

Go Green
July 18th, 2015, 06:12 AM
Boston University and Northeaastern.

:)

Jiggs
July 18th, 2015, 02:33 PM

Right on.

Gangtackle11
July 18th, 2015, 04:13 PM
I like Liberty vs. Villanova. The Falwells vs. The Augustinians!

FUBeAR
July 18th, 2015, 05:03 PM
I would like to see Mercer establish somewhat of a 'rivalry' with an HBCU school, similar to the off & on rivalry that FU has had/developed with SCSU. Savannah State is the only in-state FCS HBCU team, but I'm not sure that particular match-up would bring the kind of 'buzz' that would produce the desired 'rivalry.' Alabama State, SCSU, and FAMU are all about 3 hours from Macon...so I think, from those 3, I'd like to see FAMU vs. MU become a regular OOC game.

Some folks in GA want to see Mercer & Kennesaw become OOC rivals, but I'm not sure that's in Mercer's best interest right now. That would be akin to the FU vs. CCU rivalry that has developed recently - a lot of similarities, actually. It could make sense for Mercer, maybe, 5 years down the road, but not so much right now.

caribbeanhen
July 18th, 2015, 11:30 PM
not really regional but Delaware vs Sam Houston would be a good one..... at least for gohens.net

bonarae
July 18th, 2015, 11:52 PM
Not really regional, since most of Harvard's competition nearby (within Massachusetts) is: gone, committed to the FBS or D-III... our possible FCS / FBS options, if I were Scalise and would coordinate with the coaches:

1. W&M (why did Murphy drop this series when he came to Cambridge, but it should've been a good rivalry as it had been?)
2. UNH (battle of two quality northeast FCS teams in their respective conferences)
3. Holy Cross (since HC is now filling their schedules with FBS, but they shouldn't forget us, a game every 3-4 seasons is good enough for me.)
4. Maine (Murphy vs. his mentor)
5. NDSU (oh yeah, I like to dream a lot... xrolleyesx)
6. (FBS) UMass Amherst (they and Harvard played their latest game in this series before I was born)
7. (FBS) Boston College (I'm not sure when Harvard last played them, but it was a good long time ago.)

ETSU's:

1. (FBS) Tennessee Knoxville (this is their nearest D-I football playing competitor, I think.)
2. (FBS) Vanderbilt
3. Tennessee-Martin
4. Tennessee Tech
5. Tennessee State

Go...gate
July 19th, 2015, 02:03 AM
Boston University and Northeaastern.

:)

No Hofstra, La Salle or St. Peter's??

Go...gate
July 19th, 2015, 02:05 AM
For Colgate: Brown, Pennsylvania or Villanova.

Sader87
July 19th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Not really regional, since most of Harvard's competition nearby (within Massachusetts) is: gone, committed to the FBS or D-III... our possible FCS / FBS options, if I were Scalise and would coordinate with the coaches:

1. W&M (why did Murphy drop this series when he came to Cambridge, but it should've been a good rivalry as it had been?)
2. UNH (battle of two quality northeast FCS teams in their respective conferences)
3. Holy Cross (since HC is now filling their schedules with FBS, but they shouldn't forget us, a game every 3-4 seasons is good enough for me.)
6. (FBS) UMass Amherst (they and Harvard played their latest game in this series before I was born)
7. (FBS) Boston College (I'm not sure when Harvard last played them, but it was a good long time ago.)

ETSU's:

1. (FBS) Tennessee Knoxville (this is their nearest D-I football playing competitor, I think.)
2. (FBS) Vanderbilt
3. Tennessee-Martin
4. Tennessee Tech
5. Tennessee State

HC and Harvard signed a deal recently to play annually stahhting in 2016 I believe.

HC is playing UNH for fours stahhhting in 2016....like to see Villanova back on the schedule.

RabidRabbit
July 20th, 2015, 02:26 PM
SDSU has been playing many of their ex-GWFC members for the OOC. Enjoyed the Ga Southern series, and especially the game in Brookings. Hope to get the MT schools to venture east first, as all recent games have been in MT.

NEC and Pioneer teams have been willing to come to Brookings for a paycheck game, and with the new stadium, likely to see SDSU pushing for the 6th home game, although 5 home/5 away/1 FBS is the most likely.

Would love to work out some IVY/Patriot/Big South games, although home and homes, unless Yale or Harvard seem unlikely. CCU & Liberty should be strong home home candidates. Very surprised that there's been no regular season games vs OVC teams for the Jacks. Seems that EIU and JSU would be good early season tests.

KPSUL
July 20th, 2015, 07:43 PM
HC and Harvard signed a deal recently to play annually stahhting in 2016 I believe.

HC is playing UNH for fours stahhhting in 2016....like to see Villanova back on the schedule.

You want Hahvid, New Hampsha, and Nova as your FCS OOC games in the same season? Going to change your name from Sader to Sadist?

KPSUL
July 20th, 2015, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=bonarae;2231913]Not really regional, since most of Harvard's competition nearby (within Massachusetts) is: gone, committed to the FBS or D-III... our possible FCS / FBS options, if I were Scalise and would coordinate with the coaches:

Harvard doesn't appear to be even remotely interested in scheduling top level FCS OOC opponents. If they were, I'm sure they would have no problem finder some takers. Instead, they seem to schedule OOC games with mid or lower level teams normally from the Pioneer or Patriot Leagues to pad their record. They seem to be completely satisfied having the Ivy League title as their ultimate goal.