PDA

View Full Version : Akron debating a drop to FCS - MVC?

SCPALADIN
July 15th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Would the MVC be a possible landing spot for Akron?

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/faculty-senate-chair-recommends-university-of-akron-drop-level-in-football-1.608039

NoDak 4 Ever
July 15th, 2015, 09:54 AM
The MVFC does NOT need more teams in Ohio.

SCPALADIN
July 15th, 2015, 10:00 AM
The MVFC does NOT need more teams in Ohio.

LOL...so 1 is too many already?

Cocky
July 15th, 2015, 10:03 AM
OVC? Then we would have one from Ohio.

SCPALADIN
July 15th, 2015, 10:12 AM
OVC? Then we would have one from Ohio.

Would be a homecoming for Akron. I grew up watching them play against the likes of Austin Peay, YSU, MTSU etc. in the 80's. With 25,000+ students I just figure they'd be a better fit for the MVC. Akron is strong in basketball...football, not so much.

clenz
July 15th, 2015, 10:13 AM
****ing right it is.

They are the main reason UNI has to play NDSU, ISUr and SDSU all on the road in the same year and the reason the rotation is set up that UNI will amost never miss NDSU, SDSU, SIU or ISUr on our 2 year off rotation.

They are also the only team that doesn't share any other sports conference with any other team. ISUb bitches about the travel but the Dakotas but they at least share a conference with UNI, SIU, ISUr and MSU

Now, should Akron really want to consider this move (and I really....really doubt it) it should be explored.

I can't imagine it is a possibility with the new stadium they just opened a few years ago

Professor Chaos
July 15th, 2015, 10:13 AM
This is a sobering reality that many G5 schools stick their heads in the sand to avoid seeing. That said it'll never happen, just another example of a university faculty and an athletic department arguing over who wastes more money.

clenz
July 15th, 2015, 10:15 AM
This is a sobering reality that many G5 schools stick their heads in the sand to avoid seeing. That said it'll never happen, just another example of a university faculty and an athletic department arguing over who wastes more money.
Exactly right.

It's why in the other thread it was brought up that Marshall would fight a move to combine some FCS with the G5.

The reality is if each G5 school really looked at things they would come to the same conclusion as Akron. However, 99% of them will continue to deny there is an issue and think they are better than us.

Grizalltheway
July 15th, 2015, 10:18 AM
****ing right it is.

They are the main reason UNI has to play NDSU, ISUr and SDSU all on the road in the same year and the reason the rotation is set up that UNI will amost never miss NDSU, SDSU, SIU or ISUr on our 2 year off rotation.

They are also the only team that doesn't share any other sports conference with any other team. ISUb bitches about the travel but the Dakotas but they at least share a conference with UNI, SIU, ISUr and MSU

Now, should Akron really want to consider this move (and I really....really doubt it) it should be explored.

I can't imagine it is a possibility with the new stadium they just opened a few years ago

If you're bitching about geographic footprint, get over it. The Big Sky manages just fine.

clenz
July 15th, 2015, 10:19 AM
If you're bitching about geographic footprint, get over it. The Big Sky manages just fine.
YSU is a special breed. They came in expecting to dominate and they have been average at best in their best years. That's led to them not liking the travel

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

NoDak 4 Ever
July 15th, 2015, 10:22 AM

Because the Big Sky needed to hedge against the resurgence of the WAC doesn't mean everyone else needs to follow the same blueprint.

The Yo Show
July 15th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Given Akron just cut their baseball team, and many people in Akron, including Akron fans, are calling to drop to fcs, it may be more likely than sentiment here seems. Granted it is still unlikely.

BisonFan02
July 15th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Given Akron just cut their baseball team, and many people in Akron, including Akron fans, are calling to drop to fcs, it may be more likely than sentiment here seems. Granted it is still unlikely.

Send them to the CAA with Youngstown as a package deal.

Penguin Nation
July 15th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Akron is hemorrhaging $8M a year just to remain in the FBS. It is unsustainable and I doubt it will be tolerated beyond one more season of a sparsely filled InfoCision stadium. They just cut baseball, and IMO the move is very likely after the 2-015 season.

If they did join the MVFC, it would make sense to add a western school (UND ?) to keep even numbers and then divide the MVFC into an Eastern and Western division.

My travel beef with the MVFC would be resolved with YSU in an Eastern division with the IL, IN, and OH schools.

I hope it happens.

BisonFan02
July 15th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Akron is hemorrhaging $8M a year just to remain in the FBS. It is unsustainable and I doubt it will be tolerated beyond one more season of a sparsely filled InfoCision stadium. They just cut baseball, and IMO the move is very likely after the 2-015 season.

If they did join the MVFC, it would make sense to add a western school (UND ?) to keep even numbers and then divide the MVFC into an Eastern and Western division.

My travel beef with the MVFC would be resolved with YSU in an Eastern division with the IL, IN, and OH schools.

I hope it happens.

No

SCPALADIN
July 15th, 2015, 10:43 AM
I wonder if Ball State and E. Michigan's programs are hemorrhaging in a similar fashion as Akron. Those two programs are almost as bad and would theoretically fit in an "Eastern Division" of an expanded MVFC.

BisonFan02
July 15th, 2015, 10:47 AM
I wonder if Ball State and E. Michigan's programs are hemorrhaging in a similar fashion as Akron. Those two programs are almost as bad and would theoretically fit in an "Eastern Division" of an expanded MVFC.

......again. No. Are these two divisions going to play a conference champ bowl game? They can't meet in Frisco every year. I hate the unbalanced schedule the way it is. YSU is the oddball with them being in the Horizon. Can them and leave the rest alone...if a MVC team (Missouri St?) Leaves for the Sunbelt, the MVC can add another bball only team...and the MVFC can add another Summit team (yes...even UND).

clenz
July 15th, 2015, 10:49 AM

I hope it happens.
Of course YSU hopes they get put in the same side with ISUb, SIU, ISUr and Akronxlolx

Only ISUr is any good with a chance of sustained success, and that's only as long as Spack is there and keeps taking fliers on FBS guys that were kicked off their old teams.

Meanwhile the west you'd have UNI, SDSU and NDSU along with WIU who is showing great signs of life and then MSU and USD.

That seems balanced...

clenz
July 15th, 2015, 10:51 AM
......again. No. Are these two divisions going to play a conference champ bowl game? They can't meet in Frisco every year. I hate the unbalanced schedule the way it is. YSU is the oddball with them being in the Horizon. Can them and leave the rest alone...if a MVC team (Missouri St?) Leaves for the Sunbelt, the MVC can add another bball only team...and the MVFC can add another Summit team (yes...even UND).
UAB was the best case senario. MVC and MVFC to allow YSU to move CAA and "protect" for when MSU gets their dream of the Slum Belt.

Akron would be extremely intriguing though, I have to admit

NoDak 4 Ever
July 15th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Of course YSU hopes they get put in the same side with ISUb, SIU, ISUr and Akronxlolx

Only ISUr is any good with a chance of sustained success, and that's only as long as Spack is there and keeps taking fliers on FBS guys that were kicked off their old teams.

Meanwhile the west you'd have UNI, SDSU and NDSU along with WIU who is showing great signs of life and then MSU and USD.

That seems balanced...

Welcome to the SEC West

dewey
July 15th, 2015, 10:52 AM

I hope it happens.

Seems like a good idea to me.
East divsion.
Youngstown State
Akron
Indiana St
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Western Illinois

West Division
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UNI
UND
Missouri State

Makes you wonder how many other schools are potentially looking at going from FBS to FCS when their athletic department is losing that much money.

Dewey

NoDak 4 Ever
July 15th, 2015, 10:53 AM
East divsion.
Youngstown State
Akron
Indiana St
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Western Illinois

West Division
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UNI
UND
Missouri State

Makes you wonder how many other schools are potentially looking at going from FBS to FCS when their athletic department is losing that much money.

Dewey

They're mostly hoping the realignment happens quickly so they can get some cover for "moving down"

BisonFan02
July 15th, 2015, 10:53 AM
UAB was the best case senario. MVC and MVFC to allow YSU to move CAA and "protect" for when MSU gets their dream of the Slum Belt.

Akron would be extremely intriguing though, I have to admit

For the MVC......toss them a bball invite if they drop football to cut costs.

BisonFan02
July 15th, 2015, 10:55 AM
East divsion.
Youngstown State
Akron
Indiana St
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Western Illinois

West Division
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UNI
UND
Missouri State

Dewey

I'm sure UNI would LOVE to not play anyone outside of MSU from the MVC.....or not.

Daytripper
July 15th, 2015, 10:56 AM
They're mostly hoping the realignment happens quickly so they can get some cover for "moving down"

This.

dewey
July 15th, 2015, 10:56 AM

Agreed! It is certainly easier for them to move down if they can spin it as we were not allowed to eat at the big table therefore there is only one thing left to do. Boy the landscape of FCS football could really change in the next few years. It is actually pretty exciting to think about all the teams that would "move down" to the FCS level.

Dewey

clenz
July 15th, 2015, 10:57 AM
I'm sure UNI would LOVE to not play anyone outside of MSU from the MVC.....or not.
Yep...

Nope...

SIU is a must..."protected cross over" if you will. ISUr is a close second in a "must". ISUb I can take or leave.

Hell, even WIU because we've been playing them for 30 years

clenz
July 15th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Agreed! It is certainly easier for them to move down if they can spin it as we were not allowed to eat at the big table therefore there is only one thing left to do. Boy the landscape of FCS football could really change in the next few years. It is actually pretty exciting to think about all the teams that would "move down" to the FCS level.

Dewey
Like Ursus and myself have been saying - there is going to be something that happens that will blend the G5, especially the "smaller G5" and the FCS is someway. The big issue is going to be scholarship level and playoff format.

BisonFan02
July 15th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Yep...

Nope...

SIU is a must..."protected cross over" if you will. ISUr is a close second in a "must". ISUb I can take or leave.

Hell, even WIU because we've been playing them for 30 years

That's why this doesn't work....divisions are bull**** unless there is a conf championship game...even then they are BS if the top 3 teams from the conference are in the same division.

The Yo Show
July 15th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Clenz, could you tell me how long YSU has had a history with UNI? Anyway, back to Akron, i personally would like to see them drop to the fcs. Even if not in the MVFC, because as a YSU fan, I'd rather see us play them out of conference than Robert Morris, or morehead state.

After all, YSU akron had a rivalry back in the day, the steel-tire. It's like reviving a rivalry game for YSU.

dewey
July 15th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Here are some interesting things I noted from the article.

The university had the dubious distinction last year of reporting the worst FBS home attendance in the nation, drawing a total of 55,019 fans for six games. (That is 9169.8 people per game) The lack of support has led many UA employees and students to question the logic of spending $65 million to build InfoCision Stadium on campus. The facility opened in 2009.
Despite the attractive venue, fans haven’t had many reasons to go to games. The team hasn’t finished with a winning record since 2005 and has recorded only seven winning seasons since joining college’s top division in 1987.
UA President Scott Scarborough has defended the football program, noting its marketing value to the school.
“The university benefits most when football, basketball and soccer are strong programs with great game-day experiences and winning records — both on the field and in the classroom,” he has said.

With the underlined comments above it makes you wonder how GREAT the UA students are to make up for the on field product. It would appear as though the president doesnt know that they average 9000 per game and they have stunk the last few years.

Dewey

NoDak 4 Ever
July 15th, 2015, 11:06 AM
9k in a 27,000 seat stadium has got to feel EMPTY.

clenz
July 15th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Clenz, could you tell me how long YSU has had a history with UNI? Anyway, back to Akron, i personally would like to see them drop to the fcs. Even if not in the MVFC, because as a YSU fan, I'd rather see us play them out of conference than Robert Morris, or morehead state.

After all, YSU akron had a rivalry back in the day, the steel-tire. It's like reviving a rivalry game for YSU.
What do you call history?

Since 1978 they'd played 29 times.

UNI has won 21 of them

Including

12 of the last 13

14 of the 17 games in conference action

15 of the last 18

19 of the last 23

Since UNI moved D1 they are 20-5 against YSU

Have they played a lot?

Sure

The only real history is one of UNI domination.

No wonder YSU doesn't want to play UNI

If you brought that up because I said a history with WIU...

UNI has played WIU 43 times (30-13 against them). Played every year since 1978

UNI is 25-8 against WIU since UNI moved D1

dewey
July 15th, 2015, 11:07 AM

Think of all the room you would have around you. Buy 1 seat and 2 for free:-)

Dewey

The Yo Show
July 15th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Are there even any fcs conferences with two divisions?

clenz
July 15th, 2015, 11:11 AM
CAA used to have 2

Big Sky *could* have 2 with 1 more team

NoDak 4 Ever
July 15th, 2015, 11:12 AM

The SWAC but they don't really count.

clenz
July 15th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Think of all the room you would have around you. Buy 1 seat and 2 for free:-)

Dewey
Not really any different than YSU

21K but they probably actually average 5 or 6k....they are the worst in the MVFC at reporting attendance. A couple years ago UNI played there for their homecoming. They said 20K, or so, but people that were there and pictures show there was as many UNI fans as YSU fans...and there was maybe 4k there....maybe

The Yo Show
July 15th, 2015, 11:15 AM
I was just asking. Its similar results in the history to them playing WIU. And UNI having YSUs number recently is well known to YSU fans. I personally would like to see YSU continue playing UNI frequently. But i really just asked since you brought up WIU.

I would be surprised if YSU didnt want to play UNI anymore. Granted, the series has been bad for them, but most ysu fans enjoy the "rivalry" and attendance is higher against UNI (i used quotes because I'm recognizing if they have been uncompetitive and mostly losing the series its not a rivalry).

The Yo Show
July 15th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Clenz, if you mean the game ysu beat UNI at home a few years ago, YSU did have higher attendance than UNI cadre there. I admit i was suprised to see such a UNI turnout there but i believe ysu had total attendance of about 20k that game. After all, 4k in attendance were UNI fans.

clenz
July 15th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Clenz, if you mean the game ysu beat UNI at home a few years ago, YSU did have higher attendance than UNI cadre there. I admit i was suprised to see such a UNI turnout there but i believe ysu had total attendance of about 20k that game. After all, 4k in attendance were UNI fans.
No, this was a few years before.

I'll track down some photos

SCPALADIN
July 15th, 2015, 11:23 AM

There's space for 30K at InfoCision. I believe Akron uses the "Wofford Method" of counting attendance. There were games last year where maybe 5,000 people were in the stands.

The Yo Show
July 15th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Article from the arkon beacon journal:

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/university-of-akron-football-attendance-lowest-in-nation-1.603992

"Even Youngstown State University, which plays in the lower Football Championship Subdivision, reported drawing 84,669 fans for seven games — an average of 12,096."

Interesting to note, that ysus average attendance last year was 12096 and that was with the last two home games only having a couple thousand and dragging the average down. Wolfords annual collapse at the end of the year again killed the fanbase last season. I was on of the few in attendance and one of 15 students lol.

The Yo Show
July 15th, 2015, 11:24 AM
If it was a few years before, that clears that up and I believe you. I was just going to disagree if it was the past game where YSU won.

The Yo Show
July 15th, 2015, 11:28 AM
The article i posted says how akron counts their numbers. Two year moving average of ticket sales must be 15k, which must be in actual attendance or sold tickets. So akron actually buys tickets every other year at 10 a ticket to boost the numbers

SCPALADIN
July 15th, 2015, 11:30 AM
The article i posted says how akron counts their numbers. Two year moving average of ticket sales must be 15k, which must be in actual attendance or sold tickets. So akron actually buys tickets every other year at 10 a ticket to boost the numbers

IMHO...any program on the FBS level that has to do this should seriously consider dropping down to FCS.

clenz
July 15th, 2015, 11:31 AM
There's a lot of schools that do that.

A couple years ago (2010 I think) FAU hosted Michigan State at Ford Field. They got to count ~65k as a home game for 2 years.

Penguin Nation
July 15th, 2015, 11:33 AM

That seems balanced...

With two 2014 playoff teams including a team that played in Frisco last season....an Eastern division sure doesn't seem much weaker than a Western division. Even if it is (it is..let's face it)....the Western schools would still be in the same situation they are in now.....playing a strong SOS, getting beat up in conference play, and then watching 1AAA teams get at large bids while teams that went 4-4 in conference play stay home.

You'd still have to play three teams from the other MVFC division to make eight conference games.

As an added sweetener, Everyone's travel budget should be improved.

clenz
July 15th, 2015, 11:38 AM
With two 2014 playoff teams including a team that played in Frisco last season....an Eastern division sure doesn't seem much weaker than a Western division. Even if it is (it is..let's face it)....the Western schools would still be in the same situation they are in now.....playing a strong SOS, getting beat up in conference play, and then watching 1AAA teams get at large bids while teams that went 4-4 in conference play stay home.

You'd still have to play three teams from the other MVFC division to make eight conference games.

As an added sweetener, Everyone's travel budget should be improved.
If you're worried about a travel budget you need to drop football.

ISUr has traditionally been a 3rd-5th place team. Last year and this year (likely) aren't going to convince me of sustained success.
SIU outside of the Kill years is a sub .500 program the last 15-20 years
ISUb loses almost all their offensive production. No reason to believe they can continue to be a 7 plus win team every year

UNI is always going to be a playoff contender...been proven the last 30 years
NDSU...well...yeah
SDSU is getting to be a perinnial top 15 team
WIU is showing signs of life to get back to being where they were 15 years ago - at/near top of the conference

Seems pretty even

ursus arctos horribilis
July 15th, 2015, 12:11 PM

I'm sure they do what other FBS teams needing to up their ticket numbers. They have a corporate sponsor buy up tickets at "x" amount of money and then give them free advertising for doing so. In other words they are giving away tickets but making it appear like they are selling them.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 15th, 2015, 12:12 PM
There's a lot of schools that do that.

A couple years ago (2010 I think) FAU hosted Michigan State at Ford Field. They got to count ~65k as a home game for 2 years.

Yes, this is another well used trick.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 15th, 2015, 12:13 PM
This would be a huge development if it does happen. I wonder what the folks at Kent State are thinking right now. The Zips and Golden Flashes have a legit rivalry. It would be a shame to see that end....

Penguin Nation
July 15th, 2015, 12:30 PM

21K but they probably actually average 5 or 6k....they are the worst in the MVFC at reporting attendance. A couple years ago UNI played there for their homecoming. They said 20K, or so, but people that were there and pictures show there was as many UNI fans as YSU fans...and there was maybe 4k there....maybe

YSU shamelessly lies in reporting attendance. It's even worse in MBB.

clenz
July 15th, 2015, 12:32 PM
YSU shamelessly lies in reporting attendance. It's even worse in MBB.
Is it an attempt to 'look equal" to your MAC statemates?

Honest question

DFW HOYA
July 15th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Another factor: Akron's institutional debt has doubled in 10 years and cost-cutting is a big issue.

Then again, the net loss of revenues from the MAC to the OVC isn't solving that problem. And whether you're playing Toledo or Butler, the debt on Infocision Stadium isn't going away.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/debt-of-ohio-public-universities-tops-65b/nj83M/

Penguin Nation
July 15th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Is it an attempt to 'look equal" to your MAC statemates?

Honest question

I'm not privy to the rationale. I don't think it's anything related to the MAC. I just think the attendance numbers are too shameful and embarrassing to reveal even for a mid-major/FCS school. Failure begets failure, and they want to seem legit to the media, potential recruits, and potential fans.

centennial
July 15th, 2015, 12:58 PM
As drop to FCS isn't going to do them much good. MVFC is more competitive than the MAC, so chances of winning more remain the same. Add to that savings of 20k x 20= 400k quickly gets eroded by lower paydays. They have a systemic issue, with deficits of close to 8 million a year either they add more student fees or gtfo from D1.

Gil Dobie
July 15th, 2015, 01:41 PM
As drop to FCS isn't going to do them much good. MVFC is more competitive than the MAC, so chances of winning more remain the same. Add to that savings of 20k x 20= 400k quickly gets eroded by lower paydays. They have a systemic issue, with deficits of close to 8 million a year either they add more student fees or gtfo from D1.

It's more of a lateral move competition-wise, they may want to explore other conferences if they want to start winning and drawing fans.

NDSUSR
July 15th, 2015, 02:17 PM
They can wait for a FCS invite. :)

Bisonator
July 15th, 2015, 02:35 PM

Well played! xthumbsupx

BisonFan02
July 15th, 2015, 02:54 PM

The Big Sky would take them. What's one more plane ride? :D

Bisonator
July 15th, 2015, 02:59 PM
The Big Sky would take them. What's one more plane ride? :D

UND would finally have a travel partner. xlolx

clenz
July 15th, 2015, 03:09 PM
On topic...I'll post this in the REVIEWING D1 STATUS thread as well..

http://www.nwherald.com/2015/07/08/ncaa-numbers-big-ten-mac-and-in-state-financial-aid-coach-pay-and-donations/ak8qvty/

Below is a list of financial data for NCAA Division I schools. Data is from schools' NCAA financial forms for 2013-14, acquired via public records requests. Additional data was added from the Department of Education.

Big Ten
1. Michigan: $19,564,771
2. Ohio State: $16,831,633
3. Northwestern: $16,255,877
4. Penn State: $14,679,249
5. Maryland: $13,290,307
6. Indiana: $12,823,202
7. Michigan State: $12,477,749
8. Iowa: $11,762,781
9. Wisconsin: $11,051,092
10. Illinois: $10,897,536
11. Minnesota: $10,638,107
12. Purdue: $10,745,166
13. Rutgers: $10,623,500
14. Nebraska: $9,531,229

Mid-American Conference
1. Miami: $9,434,519
2. Eastern Michigan: $8,010,230
3. Western Michigan: $7,664,804
4. Buffalo: $7,635,181
5. Toledo: $7,621,310
6. Northern Illinois: $7,409,545
7. Ohio: $7,174,844
8. Ball State: $6,998,305
9. Akron: $6,840,858
10. Kent State: $5,753,019
11. Central Michigan: $5,509,684
12. Bowling Green: $5,442,181

Other in-state
1. Illinois State: $6,008,915
2. Southern Illinois-Carbondale: $5,738,0540
3. DePaul: $5,432,812
4. Loyola (Chicago): $4,740,133
5. Illinois-Chicago: $4,156,713
6. Bradley: $4,034,821
7. Western Illinois: $4,024,001
8. Eastern Illinois: $3,811,133
9. Southern Illinois University – Edwardsville: $2,331,739
10. Chicago State: $1,879,541

Total coach pay (salaries, benefits and bonuses)
Big Ten
1. Michigan: $21,683,893
2. Ohio State: $26,429,182
3. Michigan State: $20,295,508
4. Iowa: $16,954,934
5. Penn State: $16,422,737 (only salaries)
6. Wisconsin: $15,931,618
7. Nebraska: $15,589,712
8. Indiana: $15,396,525
9. Maryland: $14,162,812
10. Purdue: $12,441,634
11. Minnesota: $12,137,176
12. Northwestern: $11,029,572 (only salaries)
13. Illinois: $10,785,235
14. Rutgers: $10,435,941

MAC
1. Akron: $5,625,976
2. Western Michigan: $5,601,833
3. Ohio: $5,365,095
4. Central Michigan: $5,343,876
5. Toledo: $4,966,892
6. Ball State: $4,814,904
7. Miami: $4,809,096 (only salaries)
8. Eastern Michigan: $4,335,236
9. Bowling Green: $4,168,964
10. Kent State: $4,143,917
11. Buffalo: $3,985,689
12. Northern Illinois: $3,936,014
Other in-state
1. DePaul: $5,775,566 (only salaries)
2. Illinois State: $4,342,044
3. Illinois-Chicago: $2,288,367
4. Bradley: $2,880,183 (only salaries)
5. Southern Illinois Carbondale: $2,806,704
6. Eastern Illinois: $2,718,577
7. Western Illinois: $2,544,896
8. Loyola (Chicago): $1,964,581 (only salaries)
9. Southern Illinois University – Edwardsville: $1,624,539 (only salaries)
10. Chicago State: $873,041 (only salaries)

Athletic contributions (donations)
Big Ten
1. Wisconsin: $38,456,619
2. Michigan: $35,267,267
3. Iowa: $30,356,325
4. Michigan State: $29,724,939
5. Ohio State: $28,201,658
6. Illinois: $16,909,059
7. Indiana: $16,792,186
8. Purdue: $15,281,636
9. Nebraska: $11,833,760
10. Maryland: $11,225,922
11. Minnesota: $10,332,287
12. Rutgers: $8,113,992

MAC
1. Toledo - $2,581,272
2. Ohio - $2,337,759
3. Akron - $2,076,146
4. NIU - $1,724,111
5. Miami - $1,615,928
6. Bowling Green - $1,452,756
7. Central Michigan - $1,253,633
8. Kent State - $968,748
9. Ball State - $697,601
10. Western Michigan - $618,220
11. Buffalo - $600,252
12. Eastern Michigan - $523,811

Other in-state
1. Illinois-Chicago: $5,579,898
2. Southern Illinois Carbondale: $2,772,329
3. Illinois State: $2,095,269
4. Eastern Illinois: $686,885
5. Western Illinois: $317,470

SCPALADIN
July 15th, 2015, 04:17 PM
On topic...I'll post this in the REVIEWING D1 STATUS thread as well..

The Bowden effect....

Bisonoline
July 15th, 2015, 06:02 PM
I HATE divisions within a conference.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 15th, 2015, 06:18 PM
I HATE divisions within a conference.

Agree, a conference is perfect at 9 but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

uni88
July 15th, 2015, 06:31 PM
ISUr has traditionally been a 3rd-5th place team. Last year and this year (likely) aren't going to convince me of sustained success.

WIU is showing signs of life to get back to being where they were 15 years ago - at/near top of the conference
clenz,

While I agree with your post on the whole I have to point out that you need to hold WIU to the same standard that you're holding ISUr. WIU has been "showing signs of life" off and on for about 30 years without being able to sustain it. I have more faith in ISUr's ability to attain sustained success.

clenz
July 15th, 2015, 06:35 PM
clenz,

While I agree with your post on the whole I have to point out that you need to hold WIU to the same standard that you're holding ISUr. WIU has been "showing signs of life" off and on for about 30 years without being able to sustain it. I have more faith in ISUr's ability to attain sustained success.
My skepticism is based on Spack continuing success and getting plucked by a MAC, AAC, CUSA program. Spack leaves and I don't see ISU being able to pay another coach.

Also remember that ISUs success is largely based on Roberson being a hit and not a miss. They had a very good QB before him in Brown yet never got over the hump. ISU under Spack has taken a ton of fliers. That's a good way for short success but not sustained. See Keeler's days at UD.

uni88
July 15th, 2015, 06:41 PM
My skepticism is based on Spack continuing success and getting plucked by a MAC, AAC, CUSA program. Spack leaves and I don't see ISU being able to pay another coach.

Also remember that ISUs success is largely based on Roberson being a hit and not a miss. They had a very good QB before him in Brown yet never got over the hump. ISU under Spack has taken a ton of fliers. That's a good way for short success but not sustained. See Keeler's days at UD.

I don't disagree with you about the source of ISUr's success and future potential (good and bad) I just have to point out that WIU has had a number of times where they had a positive result with a young team and everyone jumped on the bandwagon predicting future success only to see them either completely miss out or start strongly and then come unravelled down the stretch. I'll believe they can pull off sustained success when I see it happen.

JayJ79
July 15th, 2015, 07:09 PM
If it was a few years before, that clears that up and I believe you. I was just going to disagree if it was the past game where YSU won.

I just have to laugh at the fact that YSU can refer to "that one game we won" in the series (over the past 14 years)

Go Green
July 15th, 2015, 07:23 PM

Go to a Penn game when they are lousy. Only Cal Tech played in front of more empty seats when they played in the Rose Bowl.

Penguin Nation
July 15th, 2015, 07:28 PM
I just have to laugh at the fact that YSU can refer to "that one game we won" in the series (over the past 14 years)

A consequence of an Athletic Director who sabotaged a program through extending the contracts of HCs who were in over their head, and scheduling a feeble OOC schedule. Although that AD is inexplicably still there, our former AD is now President....and positive changes are happening.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 15th, 2015, 09:37 PM

Yes!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
July 15th, 2015, 09:47 PM
Not really news that some faculty members think that too much money is spent on football. Not really much here to make one think that the actual Akron decision makers are seriously considering a move to FCS with the status quo the way it is.

centennial
July 15th, 2015, 09:54 PM
Not really news that some faculty members think that too much money is spent on football. Not really much here to make one think that the actual Akron decision makers are seriously considering a move to FCS with the status quo the way it is.
They just cut the baseball program, that is all that will happen. This is to make the faculty okay with the layoffs they made. With the new stadium costing them $4 million a year dropping the football program would be huge egg in their face.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 15th, 2015, 09:59 PM
I've always wondered how a rust belt state like Ohio can financially support nine Division 1 athletic departments; Ohio State, Cincinnati, Toledo, Ohio, Miami(OH) Bowling Green, Kent State, Akron and Youngstown State. By comparison Pennsylvania and New York have three each.

What makes it worse imo is the fact that Youngstown State, Kent State and Akron are all within about 40-50 miles of each other in Northeastern part of the state.

Laker
July 16th, 2015, 07:40 AM
If Akron would do this, would Eastern Michigan be far behind? They have been terrible in football and don't draw flies.

DFW HOYA
July 16th, 2015, 07:46 AM

Agreed. This might be a different discussion if they were still playing in the Rubber Bowl, but the cost of its new stadium should limit any serious talk of bailing.

http://www.gozips.com/athletics/facilities/InfoCision

Daved
July 16th, 2015, 10:36 AM

21K but they probably actually average 5 or 6k....they are the worst in the MVFC at reporting attendance. A couple years ago UNI played there for their homecoming. They said 20K, or so, but people that were there and pictures show there was as many UNI fans as YSU fans...and there was maybe 4k there....maybeI was there and believe that it was closer to 400--Youngstown is a high school football town--many many years ago they would get 25 to 30k for a local rivalry when their stadiums only held 18k--YSU hasn't ever in history drawn that much.Ohio State football is 2nd behind high school football in Youngstown.YSU has played and lost to UNI many times over the years and most here didn't care period as they didn't expect YSU to be a national power.We also have probably at least 10 D-1 teams in the state of Ohio.Its a far different situation in Iowa,ND,and SD.Until the sweater-vest came along we basically treated college football as an afterthought--unlike UNI,who consistently is a national power and has always ascribed to be one.I disagree with your assessment of our fans expecting to rule the MVFC--I sure didn't because I knew how tough the competition was--jeez the last time we ever won the NC we were Third in our conference.

Daytripper
July 16th, 2015, 11:00 AM
I've always wondered how a rust belt state like Ohio can financially support nine Division 1 athletic departments; Ohio State, Cincinnati, Toledo, Ohio, Miami(OH) Bowling Green, Kent State, Akron and Youngstown State. By comparison Pennsylvania and New York have three each.

What makes it worse imo is the fact that Youngstown State, Kent State and Akron are all within about 40-50 miles of each other in Northeastern part of the state.

This is a very good question. It probably was fine when Ohio was the center of American industry in the early to mid 20th century. Where do they get their students now?

Nova09
July 16th, 2015, 11:24 AM

That seems balanced...

That's why this doesn't work....divisions are bull**** unless there is a conf championship game...even then they are BS if the top 3 teams from the conference are in the same division.

In 08 the 3 best teams in the nation were all in one division. Since we have playoffs, it all works out at our level. Except, of course, the committee forcing two of those teams to face off before the semis.

Daved
July 16th, 2015, 12:14 PM

What makes it worse imo is the fact that Youngstown State, Kent State and Akron are all within about 40-50 miles of each other in Northeastern part of the state.Cleveland State and Dayton are also D-1(although Cleveland State puts money into their bkb program since they don't have a football program.)

walliver
July 16th, 2015, 01:13 PM

Only one of those is a "Big Time" program, however.

South Carolina, with 1/3 of Ohio's population, has 2 P5 programs (South Carolina and Clemson), 7 FBS programs (Wofford, Furman, PC, CCU, CSU, SC State and The Citadel) and 3 I-AAA programs (Winthrop, College of Charleston, and USC-Upstate).

North Carolina has 4 P5 programs (Duke and Wake really shouldn't count, though), 2 G5 programs (ECU and ASU), and 6 FCS (Elon, WCU, NC A&T, NCCU, Campbell and mighty Davidson) and one College of Faith.

The take-home point is that in most areas, non P5 programs are of regional interests at best, and often only appeal to alumni and friends of the schools. The problem with Ohio is that a lot of the schools listed should really be FCS not G5.

PAllen
July 16th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Cleveland State and Dayton are also D-1(although Cleveland State puts money into their bkb program since they don't have a football program.)

And NY has more than 3 that play football alone.

AshevilleApp2
July 16th, 2015, 02:43 PM

South Carolina, with 1/3 of Ohio's population, has 2 P5 programs (South Carolina and Clemson), 7 FBS programs (Wofford, Furman, PC, CCU, CSU, SC State and The Citadel) and 3 I-AAA programs (Winthrop, College of Charleston, and USC-Upstate).

North Carolina has 4 P5 programs (Duke and Wake really shouldn't count, though), 2 G5 programs (ECU and ASU), and 6 FCS (Elon, WCU, NC A&T, NCCU, Campbell and mighty Davidson) and one College of Faith.

The take-home point is that in most areas, non P5 programs are of regional interests at best, and often only appeal to alumni and friends of the schools. The problem with Ohio is that a lot of the schools listed should really be FCS not G5.

You missed UNCC in the G5 listing for NC. Maybe for the best. ;)

BluBengal07
July 16th, 2015, 08:49 PM
dropping might be best for Akon overall.

I-AA Fan
July 17th, 2015, 03:59 PM
First of all. The MVFC (especially NDSU) fans need to get a grip on reality. Those two things below your pe*** are not egos. Your conference would be nothing if it was not for YSU. You brought in a team that had just been in 4 of the last 5 national championship games ...winning 3 of those. They gave your conference credibility. Prior to YSU admission, the GFC never saw an at-large bid. YSU then proceeded to play in the national championship again in 1997 and 1999; that is twice in their first 4-years in the conference. So just who do you think you are kidding? That is old new, so I guess more of an education for the younger folks on the board.

-More education. There are 14 DI schools in the state of Ohio, only 2 of them are I-AA, the rest are IA.

-YSU fans do not like the MVFC, never have. The reason YSU fans do not like the MVFC has nothing to do with UNI or any specific teams in the conference ...it is because they feel like the university "settled". All of YSU's close rivals went to the MAC or IA independent. This includes Akron. In 1994, the MAC made an offer to YSU, as they half-heartedly always did; only that time they sent over an agreement to back it up. The agreement had a 30-day no-fault resignation clause (so YSU or the MAC could back out at and time up to 30-days) and when Marshall did not get their CUSA bid, they accepted the MAC offer and YSU's consideration for membership was dropped on day-30 of that agreement. This is how it went down, I was in the Athletic office with the members of the committee when it happened. Simply put, the MAC wanted Marshall, but Marshall wanted CUSA. The GFC wanted YSU, but YSU wanted the MAC. CUSA rejected Marshall and the MAC rejected YSU ...so both "settled".

-Akron and Kent State both have trophy games with YSU, the schools are all well within an hour of each other. Then when the MAC teams began to diminish in stature, the conference passed a rule that no team can play a lower-division team "on-the-road". Well this was a direct stab at YSU, who had shared home games for decades with MAC schools. How would you like it if you could no longer play your chief rivals at home?

Yes every red-blooded Penguin fan wants to play Akron every year (but every other year at home) Yes, YSU fans want to play all of the close schools ...Akron, Kent State, Bowling Green, Toledo, Pitt, Penn State, Ohio State, Marshall, West Virgina. These schools are all a few hours, or less, from Youngstown.

As the crow flies ...YSU fans can make it to over half of the CAA conference schools before it gets to their closest MVFC school. YSU simply has no rivals in the MVFC & yes you are right, they probably do not want any. Now if YSU were in the MVC, then things might be a little different.

clenz
July 17th, 2015, 04:12 PM
First of all. The MVFC (especially NDSU) fans need to get a grip on reality. Those two things below your pe*** are not egos. Your conference would be nothing if it was not for YSU. You brought in a team that had just been in 4 of the last 5 national championship games ...winning 3 of those. They gave your conference credibility. Prior to YSU admission, the GFC never saw an at-large bid.
Completely and utterly false....100000000% false.

Also, YSU got to those games with Cheater Vest. Since his cheating left YSU has been nothing except a 4-4, at best, MVFC/GFC team.

You lost 100% of your credibility right there and I stopped reading.

YSU fans are the ones that need a grip on reality.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 17th, 2015, 04:52 PM

Also, YSU got to those games with Cheater Vest. Since his cheating left YSU has been nothing except a 4-4, at best, MVFC/GFC team.

YSU is like that girl you knew in high school who was totally hot but got super fat by the 10 year reunion and has 2 kids by different dads.

I-AA Fan
July 17th, 2015, 04:58 PM
LOL ...been there done that. Put up or shut up. Take a look at your own back yard, before you guess what is in another neighbors garage. UNI was the hopeful destination of every piece-of-trash IA reject in the US for many years. Tressels's offenses at YSU were non-existent and those at OSU were very close to the same. Friend, it takes very little skill to win a game of cards when jokers and all face cards are wild ...so before you make such a statement, let's see your evidence.YSU fans are well-aware of their record since he left & it has less to do with he leaving than it does the assistant coaches that left (4 of which went on to head nationally-recognized FBS programs) and the fact that he also took most of the YSU administration's pool of quality assistants to choose from. Also YSU was not in a conference prior to joining the GFC ...so they did not have to worry about playing conference games every year, Heacock and Wolford just never turned the corner. these are facts .. what you said is "hog-wash".

BTW, a visit to Fargo (by the NCAA) would find a team that is far from perfection, so be careful before you speak. Same goes for Marshall, Montana, Boise State, eastern Washington and many other good (or formerly good) FCS programs (non more so than UNI). If Bohl was as great as you think he was ...then he could have done better than Wyoming. Kind of reminds me of Urban Meyer's mysterious health issue that forced him to leave Florida (doctor's orders) because the stress of coaching was just too much. Yet he goes to one of the two most stressful FBS programs in the nation (OSU). BTW did you ever wonder what happened to that medical issue?

ps: maybe if you had not "stopped reading" you might not be so ignorant. I (more-so my father) has known Jim Tressel for a number of years. You will NEVER meet a more honest caring and "plain old Christian" man. I am not here to debate his offense at OSU because I really could care less. I read the emails & they said nothing more than everyone already knew. I do not follow FBS ball, I follow FCS ball & have does so since 1982.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 17th, 2015, 05:01 PM
LOL ...been there done that. Put up or shut up. Take a look at your own back yard, before you guess what is in another neighbors garage. UNI was the hopeful destination of every piece-of-trash IA reject in the US for many years. Tressels's offenses at YSU were non-existent and those at OSU were very close to the same. Friend, it takes very little skill to win a game of cards when jokers and all face cards are wild ...so before you make such a statement, let's see your evidence.YSU fans are well-aware of their record since he left & it has less to do with he leaving than it does the assistant coaches that left (4 of which went on to head nationally-recognized FBS programs) and the fact that he also took most of the YSU administration's pool of quality assistants to choose from. Also YSU was not in a conference prior to joining the GFC ...so they did not have to worry about playing conference games every year, Heacock and Wolford just never turned the corner. these are facts .. what you said is "hog-wash".

BTW, a visit to Fargo (by the NCAA) would find a team that is far from perfection, so be careful before you speak. Same goes for Marshall, Montana, Boise State, eastern Washington and many other good (or formerly good) FCS programs (non more so than UNI). If Bohl was as great as you think he was ...then he could have done better than Wyoming. Kind of reminds me of Urban Meyer's mysterious health issue that forced him to leave Florida (doctor's orders) because the stress of coaching was just too much. Yet he goes to one of the two most stressful FBS programs in the nation (OSU). BTW did you ever wonder what happened to that medical issue?

ps: maybe if you had not "stopped reading" you might not be so ignorant. I (more-so my father) has known Jim Tressel for a number of years. You will NEVER meet a more honest caring and "plain old Christian" man. I am not here to debate his offense at OSU because I really could care less. I read the emails & they said nothing more than everyone already knew. I do not follow FBS ball, I follow FCS ball & have does so since 1982.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.thegamecrafter.com/93d1d537364596941b066ebe7bb2453d8d8c12d7

I-AA Fan
July 17th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Try some salad ...it is good for you. Too much Buffalo meat is clogging up your system. Just like you NDSU and MVFC guys generally clog-up this board.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 17th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Try some salad ...it is good for you. Too much Buffalo meat is clogging up your system. Just like you NDSU and MVFC guys generally clog-up this board.

This is a buffalo. http://www.sportsafield.com/sites/default/files/cape%20buff-zim.JPG?1351640927

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 17th, 2015, 05:16 PM

Clog up?

It is called active participation. There are a lot of NDSU guys on here.

BisonFan02
July 17th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Clog up?

It is called active participation. There are a lot of NDSU guys on here.

Kinda like there is an influx of YSU guys here till about Novemberish.

Daved
July 17th, 2015, 06:48 PM
I tip my hat to NDSU--they've done our conference proud--winning 4 NC out of 5 tries is an incredible accomplishment and pales our former conference "Kings" record of 0 titles in 17 tries.!-AA is right about the "sweater-vest" unfortunately he was one of the "cleanest" coaches but deserved what he got.

Daved
July 17th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Kinda like there is an influx of YSU guys here till about Novemberish.That's only natural--why bother discussing your team any longer if they are out of it--hopefully they will finally get a defense this year and we will stay longer.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 17th, 2015, 08:12 PM

http://www.newsweek.com/mickeys-secret-life-197930

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/220143-jim-tressel-the-youngstown-state-scandal-revisited

Great summer reading.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 17th, 2015, 08:42 PM
I tip my hat to NDSU--they've done our conference proud--winning 4 NC out of 5 tries is an incredible accomplishment and pales our former conference "Kings" record of 0 titles in 17 tries.!-AA is right about the "sweater-vest" unfortunately he was one of the "cleanest" coaches but deserved what he got.

Tressel was a damn good coach. I am still wondering why he cheated with that player. Geez

Bisonator
July 17th, 2015, 09:28 PM

xpopcornx

frozennorth
July 17th, 2015, 11:42 PM

I believe several of those schools are very large. Certainly not the peers of rural southern colleges.

Cincinnati is a future power conference program.

Bisonoline
July 18th, 2015, 12:44 AM

LOL LOL You said Tressel and honest in the same sentence. LOL LOL Stop it youre killing me. LOL

And why are you yapping to Bison fans about YSU being unhappy about being in the MVFC? You were in the Gateway long before we arrived so whats your point besides you havent done squat since way back aloooong time ago?

Daved
July 18th, 2015, 12:56 PM
I just have to laugh at the fact that YSU can refer to "that one game we won" in the series (over the past 14 years)Put an asterisk after that win as I'm sure Clenz can cite numerous plays in that game where UNI got cheated--YSU and UNI games for the most part have been close contests--most years UNI has fielded better teams and YSU the underdogs lost--I remember one year it being close when UNI should've won by 50--and if their qb could've thrown the ball more than 30 yds, they would've.YSU used to beat Indiana State every year for the same reason--they had better teams.The game Clenz quotes that we had 4k in the seats was a few years back and I highly doubt there were over 1k of YSU fans there at halftime.Clenz also never mentions the year UNI was "gifted" a win when they missed a game-winning fg with no time left on a bogus roughing the kicker call that gave them a shorter attempt and extra try with time expired--but his attitude about nobody can ever beat UNI fair and square is the reason why most YSU fans don't care for him--he does give us a lot of factual information that I respect but a blind-man can see his obvious slant against any team that isn't UNI.

TheKingpin28
July 18th, 2015, 03:27 PM

Could not be more accurate

guinpen
July 18th, 2015, 03:30 PM
So we have a legit thread about Akron and it turns into a YSU love fest. Some of the uni and NDSU fan humor me with their YSU obsession, especially the uni fans you folks are a hoot, hey we beat YSU X times in a row, the coach is a cheat, yadda yadda yadda. Let me know when you win the only game that counts. At least NDSU has won something, you guys need to enjoy the ride while it lasts, because the ride will end some day. YSU, Appy, GSU and a couple of others have been there and done that. You can be classy winners or not choice is yours.

But how about we get back to the topic, Akron. I miss playing them, was a great rival. They need to drop down but their pride will make it a hard thing to do. Maybe the OVC would be a good choice.

Penguin Nation
July 18th, 2015, 04:52 PM

The claim that Mickey Monus gave QB Ray Isaac gifts, if true, would only impact the 1991 national championship. "Those games"? Do you know of allegations regarding other national championship seasons, or other players?

I-AA Fan
July 18th, 2015, 09:17 PM
YSU is like that girl you knew in high school who was totally hot but got super fat by the 10 year reunion and has 2 kids by different dads.

Yes, but if you were lucky enough to go to the prom with her ...you still have the pictures ... xthumbsupx

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=JN.zlWtglARLB9KjkQafVHc9A&pid=15.1&P=0

Daved
July 18th, 2015, 09:47 PM
So we have a legit thread about Akron and it turns into a YSU love fest. Some of the uni and NDSU fan humor me with their YSU obsession, especially the uni fans you folks are a hoot, hey we beat YSU X times in a row, the coach is a cheat, yadda yadda yadda. Let me know when you win the only game that counts. At least NDSU has won something, you guys need to enjoy the ride while it lasts, because the ride will end some day. YSU, Appy, GSU and a couple of others have been there and done that. You can be classy winners or not choice is yours.

But how about we get back to the topic, Akron. I miss playing them, was a great rival. They need to drop down but their pride will make it a hard thing to do. Maybe the OVC would be a good choice.I believe the ride for NDSU may end someday but I doubt if they will ever fall far from the top--with only 2 D1 teams in the entire state it is much more of a focus for them as there arent many sports teams to occupy their attention.Here in Ohio we have the hapless Browns and Bengals in fb,Cavaliers in bb,Indians and Reds in baseball.We also have about a dozen D1 college teams and in places like Youngstown high school fb is king followed by Ohio State and then YSU football--and if it werent for that evil cheatin sweater-vest its popularity locally would rank behind something like ringers.The importance of college football in states like ND and SD is similar to the importance of Ohio State here in Ohio and all our other D1 programs are basically viewed as non-important.Guinpen we know that UNI is and probably always will be a top notch FCS program but expecting them to someday win the only game that counts is like expecting the sun not to come up tomorrow.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 19th, 2015, 06:49 AM
I believe the ride for NDSU may end someday but I doubt if they will ever fall far from the top--with only 2 D1 teams in the entire state it is much more of a focus for them as there arent many sports teams to occupy their attention.Here in Ohio we have the hapless Browns and Bengals in fb,Cavaliers in bb,Indians and Reds in baseball.We also have about a dozen D1 college teams and in places like Youngstown high school fb is king followed by Ohio State and then YSU football--and if it werent for that evil cheatin sweater-vest its popularity locally would rank behind something like ringers.The importance of college football in states like ND and SD is similar to the importance of Ohio State here in Ohio and all our other D1 programs are basically viewed as non-important.Guinpen we know that UNI is and probably always will be a top notch FCS program but expecting them to someday win the only game that counts is like expecting the sun not to come up tomorrow.

Although I do agree with that NDSU doesn't have to compete with much for fans, Ohio does have over 16.5X the population of ND. A lot more people to support different teams.

dgtw
July 19th, 2015, 06:50 AM
While the OVC only has nine football teams, they have 12 full member schools. One is in the Pioneer League and two don't play football at all. I do not know if they'd want to go past 12 teams.

As for other sports, the OVC has one non-baseball member in Tenn. St., so that should not be an issue. They also sponsor rifle, which Akron also does. They have three men's soccer teams that play in other leagues.

And of course, it would give the Ohio Valley a team in Ohio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
July 19th, 2015, 03:02 PM
http://share.gifyoutube.com/mGAwQR.gif

TheKingpin28
July 19th, 2015, 03:11 PM

Shots fired, I repeat, shots have been fired

clenz
July 19th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Shots fired, I repeat, shots have been fired
The Penguins trash talking scheme is a lot like Notre Dame's, but with a conference affiliation

When you're getting demolished by schools on the field and on the message boards point out accomplishments older than freshman on the roster and that happened before your joined the conference...then blame the conference for dragging you down

344Johnson
July 19th, 2015, 03:26 PM
The Penguins trash talking scheme is a lot like Notre Dame's, but with a conference affiliation

When you're getting demolished by schools on the field and on the message boards point out accomplishments older than freshman on the roster and that happened before your joined the conference...then blame the conference for dragging you down

Woah slow down.

Notre Dame is coming back..... One of these days. :D

clenz
July 19th, 2015, 03:28 PM
Woah slow down.

Notre Dame is coming back..... One of these days. :D
I'm a Michigan fan...you can throw 98% of the Michigan fan base into that same equation.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 19th, 2015, 03:54 PM

Love that play!!!

DoubleE
July 19th, 2015, 04:13 PM
I'm a Michigan fan

This explains alot

centennial
July 19th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Off topic- Saw youngstown boys yesterday, interesting documentary.
On topic- Of course teams in the west don't want Akron. Maybe they are okay if we get a true rotation going. No one want to get divided into the MVFC-west and MVFC- east.

The Yo Show
July 19th, 2015, 09:47 PM
For all those who are against Akron coming to the MVFC for football, I'm curious if you think this is a bad idea for your own personal reasons (not wanting two divisions ect)? Or do you honestly feel they would be better off in a different FCS conference for football, and if so which one?

BisonFan02
July 19th, 2015, 09:53 PM
For all those who are against Akron coming to the MVFC for football, I'm curious if you think this is a bad idea for your own personal reasons (not wanting two divisions ect)? Or do you honestly feel they would be better off in a different FCS conference for football, and if so which one?

In the CAA with Youngstown.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 19th, 2015, 09:55 PM

YSU would be better in the CAA or OVC, just in geography. The Valley does not needs another far eastern footprint program to be added.

Daved
July 19th, 2015, 09:59 PM
This explains alotLol---thats the first thing I thought.Wonder what posters from YSU blame the conference for dragging us down--either way this is a new year and the past is over.

Daved
July 19th, 2015, 10:03 PM
YSU would be better in the CAA or OVC, just in geography. The Valley does not needs another far eastern footprint program to be added.I agree that they both would be better off in a conference closer to home.

frozennorth
July 19th, 2015, 10:04 PM
I don't like the hate on ysu. Good addition to the conference. If Akron has the facilities and dedication to compete, then by all means. I'm afraid they would be a bottom feeder though.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 19th, 2015, 10:05 PM
I just can't see Akron in FCS. Having researched all the MAC schools and interacted with their fans during Temple's tenure in the conference I just don't see it happening. Akron's stadium is absurdly nice by FCS standards, their bball program is always in the hunt for the MAC title and academically, Akron has some killer programs, especially in engineering. IMO, Akron is very similar to Toledo minus the fan support and winning tradition in football.

centennial
July 19th, 2015, 10:44 PM
I just can't see Akron in FCS. Having researched all the MAC schools and interacted with their fans during Temple's tenure in the conference I just don't see it happening. Akron's stadium is absurdly nice by FCS standards, their bball program is always in the hunt for the MAC title and academically, Akron has some killer programs, especially in engineering. IMO, Akron is very similar to Toledo minus the fan support and winning tradition in football.
I don't think it is even close to happening. Coming to the MVFC doesn't help them.
- Similar level of competition
- Geographic outlier
- Lose P5 payday
- Minimal cost savings
If they were in WI or MN we would all be fine with it. If they do drop, both YSU and Akron would be perfect for OVC.

clenz
July 19th, 2015, 10:51 PM
MAC basketball title probably puts them 4th in the MVC, give or take a spot most years. Also haven't looked at how their facilities stack up to rest of MVC

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 19th, 2015, 10:58 PM
I don't think it is even close to happening. Coming to the MVFC doesn't help them.
- Similar level of competition
- Geographic outlier
- Lose P5 payday
- Minimal cost savings
If they were in WI or MN we would all be fine with it. If they do drop, both YSU and Akron would be perfect for OVC.

The OVC would be the best fit for YSU imo.

With that said, I'd love to see YSU in the CAA. I think it makes sense, generally speaking, from a geographical standpoint. YSU would still be an outlier. Youngstown to Orono, ME is one helluva trip. Still, YSU wouldn't be quite as far away from multiple schools.

I think it would also open some scheduling opportunities with the Patriot League. Why the Penguins have not played Bucknell is beyond me. The day Lehigh plays YSU out there is the day I step foot in Stambaugh Stadium. I've been begging for a game with YSU forever.....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 19th, 2015, 11:07 PM
MAC basketball title probably puts them 4th in the MVC, give or take a spot most years. Also haven't looked at how their facilities stack up to rest of MVC

They would be in the "mix" most years. I would say Top 4 in the current MVC. If Bradley, Missouri State or SIU would ever turn things around then that could change. Akron has been legitimately pretty good in the MAC the last 7 or 8 years. The MAC while by no means a great bball conference is respectable.

Their bball arena is rather non-descript but it works. It's nearly a carbon copy of Lehigh's Stabler Arena and George Washington's Smith Center....

http://www.gozips.com/sports/mbkb/2012-13/photos/jar_020213_821.jpg

PantherRob82
July 19th, 2015, 11:18 PM
This explains alot

Yes, we know you're all Buckeye fans. We've been to your place and have seen all of the OSU gear at your games. xlolx

clenz
July 20th, 2015, 06:32 AM
Yes, we know you're all Buckeye fans. We've been to your place and have seen all of the OSU gear at your games. xlolx
It's why OSU and YSU have the same colors. Their OSU shirts are tougher to pick out at home games...

NoDak 4 Ever
July 20th, 2015, 07:24 AM
They would be in the "mix" most years. I would say Top 4 in the current MVC. If Bradley, Missouri State or SIU would ever turn things around then that could change. Akron has been legitimately pretty good in the MAC the last 7 or 8 years. The MAC while by no means a great bball conference is respectable.

Their bball arena is rather non-descript but it works. It's nearly a carbon copy of Lehigh's Stabler Arena and George Washington's Smith Center....

http://www.gozips.com/sports/mbkb/2012-13/photos/jar_020213_821.jpg

I've been there, it's cozy.

clenz
July 20th, 2015, 08:02 AM

http://www.gozips.com/sports/mbkb/2012-13/photos/jar_020213_821.jpgDid some looking this morning.

It's essentially a nicer Knapp Center - which is where Drake plays. By far the worst facility in the MVC.

http://www.drakehoops.com/images/Knapp%20Center%20Packed%20House.png

This doesn't appear to be nearly to the level of the Knapp Center though from what I can tell, though the Knapp doesn't look too terrible in photos. In person it's a pile of steaming trash.

Would still be the second smallest in the conference about 1500-2k behind the Knapp at McLeod Center at UNI. Only a couple hundred seats a head of Loyola who was just added and most other schools hate how small the arena is.

Akron would potentially be a solid add though for the MVC. Adding a school to solidify the middle of the conference on a yearly basis would be nice. Create more separation between the bottom and the middle/top

Lehigh Football Nation
July 20th, 2015, 09:12 AM
If everyone believed what their faculty groups told them Rutgers would be non-scholarship, UMass would discontinue football, Lafayette would be Division III and perhaps Akron would consider a drop to FCS. However the faculty don't get to make the decisions.

clenz
July 20th, 2015, 09:13 AM
If everyone believed what their faculty groups told them Rutgers would be non-scholarship, UMass would discontinue football, Lafayette would be Division III and perhaps Akron would consider a drop to FCS. However the faculty don't get to make the decisions.
UNI wouldn't have athletics either.

Missingnumber7
July 20th, 2015, 10:00 AM
That coaches pay number is crazy, especially for a school that is where they are across athletics. The issue with the MAC...as with any G5 conference is that they sponsor a ton of Olympic sports. It works for P5 conferences because its paid for by other stuff, but when you aren't selling out your stadiums because your games are on goofy days a goofy times...especially when you are playing tues/wed/thursday night games in November when you would be better served to play on a Sat afternoon when the weather is warmer. Of course people are going to stay home and watch the game on ESPN, and then when your product sucks it will compound that issue even more. I am wondering how EMU figured their attendance figures, because there is no way that stadium has ever been as full as the attendance numbers they are reporting outside of the CMU/WMU games.

clenz
July 20th, 2015, 10:37 AM
spam

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2015, 11:34 AM
spam

He's gone. Best to report those if you could clenzy cuz they show up for me right away but doing in the thread like that I could miss it completely brother.

clenz
July 20th, 2015, 11:40 AM
He's gone. Best to report those if you could clenzy cuz they show up for me right away but doing in the thread like that I could miss it completely brother.
I tried...I really did.

It was odd, it didn't have a report button on it when I saw it. So that's why I quoted and neg repped.

It was pretty cool though - even though it was the only rep ever given to that account it was the first time I'd changed a user from green to red....Cherry popped 7 years later....well probably 9 or 10 but that other account is no more and didn't see a ton of posting

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2015, 11:44 AM
I tried...I really did.

It was odd, it didn't have a report button on it when I saw it. So that's why I quoted and neg repped.

It was pretty cool though - even though it was the only rep ever given to that account it was the first time I'd changed a user from green to red....Cherry popped 7 years later....well probably 9 or 10 but that other account is no more and didn't see a ton of posting

That's weird, it must be because of a phone or something cuz I did get another guy that could report it, which is what brought me over to see your post. Good on ya, just wanted you to know th most efficint way but if it doesn't work then not much you can do about that.

clenz
July 20th, 2015, 11:51 AM
That's weird, it must be because of a phone or something cuz I did get another guy that could report it, which is what brought me over to see your post. Good on ya, just wanted you to know th most efficint way but if it doesn't work then not much you can do about that.
Funny thing is I was on a computer, otherwise I couldn't have negged him

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 20th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Did some looking this morning.

It's essentially a nicer Knapp Center - which is where Drake plays. By far the worst facility in the MVC.

http://www.drakehoops.com/images/Knapp%20Center%20Packed%20House.png

This doesn't appear to be nearly to the level of the Knapp Center though from what I can tell, though the Knapp doesn't look too terrible in photos. In person it's a pile of steaming trash.

Would still be the second smallest in the conference about 1500-2k behind the Knapp at McLeod Center at UNI. Only a couple hundred seats a head of Loyola who was just added and most other schools hate how small the arena is.

Akron would potentially be a solid add though for the MVC. Adding a school to solidify the middle of the conference on a yearly basis would be nice. Create more separation between the bottom and the middle/top

Akron's arena is perfectly fine imo. It seems the further east you get the less it matters when it comes to arena capacity. Villanova still plays most of their games in a smaller arena. The A10 has always had an interesting blend as well.

I-AA Fan
July 20th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Too may unqualified comments here to his them all:

- Akron would be quite dominant initially, then it would taper off.
- The population of Ohio is not what I am speaking of, being #14 on a list of 14 D1team means we have no money. The state of ND may not have as much money, but who cares when it is all going to 2-schools? You get your share ...LOL.
- As far as the conference not needing another far east team in Akron. Well, YSU was in the GFC/MVFC before any of the Dakotas, and few of us wanted teams from that far west. Besides, if Akron leaves ...so will a few other teams, including Kent. So how about 2 more far east teams?
- Penguin fans wearing Buckeye gear to a YSU game should be shot. Nothing eats at me more. My daughter graduated from tOSU & neither of us would ever wear Buckeye gear to a game at the Ice Castle.

clenz
July 20th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Akron would absolutely not dominate

centennial
July 20th, 2015, 04:42 PM
Akron would absolutely not dominate

Just checked the numbers, last year Akron would be 10th of 11 in the MVFC according to Sagarin. Take the extra scholarships away and the recruiting advantage.. They could be the new South Dakota. In fact they wouldn't even be the best team in the OVC..

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 20th, 2015, 06:06 PM
Akron would not dominate the Valley as clenz mentioned.

Give the top 3-4 Valley teams 22 more scholarships to make it an even playing field and they would dominate the MAC yearly.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 20th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Akron would not dominate the Valley as clenz mentioned.

Give the top 3-4 Valley teams 22 more scholarships to make it an even playing field and they would dominate the MAC yearly.

Most of the MVFC schools are second and third tier state schools that face funding issues, more so than the current MAC members. An increase in scholarship costs and other things associated with FBS would have a trickle down effect. I think the quality of play would eventually erode due to the limited resources.

clenz
July 20th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Most of the MVFC schools are second and third tier state schools that face funding issues, more so than the current MAC members. An increase in scholarship costs and other things associated with FBS would have a trickle down effect. I think the quality of play would eventually erode due to the limited resources.
Go look at state subsidies for MAC vs MVFC schools

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 20th, 2015, 06:34 PM
Go look at state subsidies for MAC vs MVFC schools

Academic reach, enrollment, alumni, current facilities, geographic location etc all factor in. How much these schools leach off of the state if only part of the equation. The one problem with the MAC is there's a large disparity from the haves and have nots in terms of commitment.

What gets me is why Miami and Buffalo stink. Both schools have money and great academic reputations. IMO, if they wanted to be better they would be. There's simply a level of indifference from the administration.....

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 20th, 2015, 06:51 PM

Just play on the field is what I was referring to. In 07 the Bison rolled the MAC champ CMU. Watching pathetically attended MAC games on ESPN last year, I'm pretty sure NDSU could have won the MAC...........easily!!!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 20th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Just play on the field is what I was referring to. In 07 the Bison rolled the MAC champ CMU. Watching pathetically attended MAC games on ESPN last year, I'm pretty sure NDSU could have won the MAC...........easily!!!

NDSU is really the only exception right now imo. I think NDSU would immediately be in the hunt with Toledo and NIU. That CMU team that NDSU beat in 2007 might have been one of the worst conference champions I ever remember. They got destroyed by everyone in the OOC that year.

The attendance is what it is. There would be paltry crowds in Brookings, SD or Cedar Falls Iowa for an early November Tuesday night game too. NDSU would see a decline as well. Temple's biggest game in the MAC era was against Ohio on a Tuesday in Philly back in 2011. We had maybe 12k in the stands. If that games a Saturday that figure is double.

Daved
July 20th, 2015, 09:20 PM
Yes, we know you're all Buckeye fans. We've been to your place and have seen all of the OSU gear at your games. xlolxBelieve it or not there are a lot of Michigan fans in Ohio-in fact I know quite a few in Youngstown-if by any chance the Buckeyes are playing at the same time as YSU the number of fans attending the game is always a lot smaller.IMHO High School and Buckeye football hold more importance here than YSU football.I'm not entirely sure what Double E meant but it's possible that he thinks Clenz has even more disdain for that "cheatin' sweater-vest because he took 9 out of 10 from Michigan.I still have your pic on my camera from years ago when you visited our place.

PantherRob82
July 20th, 2015, 11:28 PM
Believe it or not there are a lot of Michigan fans in Ohio-in fact I know quite a few in Youngstown-if by any chance the Buckeyes are playing at the same time as YSU the number of fans attending the game is always a lot smaller.IMHO High School and Buckeye football hold more importance here than YSU football.I'm not entirely sure what Double E meant but it's possible that he thinks Clenz has even more disdain for that "cheatin' sweater-vest because he took 9 out of 10 from Michigan.I still have your pic on my camera from years ago when you visited our place.

I love YSU. Our first visit was great. Close game, packed house. Lived up to expectations. Last two we attended were a bummer.

I still have a Pete the Penguin light switch cover from one of the games.

Sycamore62
July 21st, 2015, 09:30 AM
I love YSU. Our first visit was great. Close game, packed house. Lived up to expectations. Last two we attended were a bummer.

I still have a Pete the Penguin light switch cover from one of the games.

I enjoyed my last trip there in 1995. I still have an ankle that pops like I'm walking on potato chips from that game. xsmhx

ysubigred
July 21st, 2015, 01:18 PM

You have to throw in Dayton..

NoDak 4 Ever
July 21st, 2015, 01:20 PM

Dayton gets all that Uncle Sugar money.

ysubigred
July 21st, 2015, 01:30 PM
YSU would be better in the CAA or OVC, just in geography. The Valley does not needs another far eastern footprint program to be added.

I'll take the OVC,, I live in Louisville KY xdrunkyx

- - - Updated - - -

Dayton gets all that Uncle Sugar money.

True.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 21st, 2015, 01:47 PM

Dayton is a private school. I was only talking about state supported institutions....

NoDak 4 Ever
July 21st, 2015, 01:50 PM
Dayton is a private school. I was only talking about state supported institutions....
And i was referring to the city's ability to support athletics.

The Yo Show
July 21st, 2015, 05:01 PM
Update to this story. The comments to the story are amusing too. http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2015/07/university_of_akron_wrestles_w.html

Laker
July 21st, 2015, 06:30 PM
Update to this story. The comments to the story are amusing too. http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2015/07/university_of_akron_wrestles_w.html

Well, that makes it look like they will stay in the MAC.

They could get LeBron to play football at Akron for four years. ESPN would show every game.

dgtw
July 21st, 2015, 07:14 PM
Terry Bowden has bigger boobs than Caitlyn Jenner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 21st, 2015, 08:39 PM
Speaking of YSU, I found this gem. Verne Lundquist doing a D2 national semifinal? Was this a national broadcast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vRx__E5uU

UAalum72
July 21st, 2015, 09:12 PM
Speaking of YSU, I found this gem. Verne Lundquist doing a D2 national semifinal? Was this a national broadcast?
Probably an ABC regional cast. IIRC ABC would often do one major national game and about four local games to complete a doubleheader.

A month before this Albany played Ithaca on ABC with former Notre Dame and Steelers QB Terry Hanratty in the booth. I remember Keith Jackson during the first game going thru the broadcast lineup finishing with "...and in Albany and Syracuse they'll watch the home folks play."

BisonFan02
July 21st, 2015, 09:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

BisonFan02
July 21st, 2015, 09:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

The Yo Show
July 21st, 2015, 09:54 PM
I've loved those videos for a longtime. Glad to see people outside Cleveland area are aware of these.

gumby013
July 21st, 2015, 10:02 PM
I've loved those videos for a longtime. Glad to see people outside Cleveland area are aware of these.

I actually know they guys who made them.

Laker
July 22nd, 2015, 10:23 AM
Believe it or not there are a lot of Michigan fans in Ohio-in fact I know quite a few in Youngstown-if by any chance the Buckeyes are playing at the same time as YSU the number of fans attending the game is always a lot smaller.IMHO High School and Buckeye football hold more importance here than YSU football.I'm not entirely sure what Double E meant but it's possible that he thinks Clenz has even more disdain for that "cheatin' sweater-vest because he took 9 out of 10 from Michigan.I still have your pic on my camera from years ago when you visited our place.

I hope that this wasn't the picture.

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/476/110/6b5e7041d5bca87e1f436b1a72a5c05a_crop_north.jpg?w= 592&h=395&q=75

I-AA Fan
July 22nd, 2015, 03:15 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vRx__E5uU

Don't remind me of that game. In the '78 semis (this game), YSU lost to an EIU team that they had beaten earlier in the season. The again in the following year (1979 final) they lost to a Delaware team that they had already beaten earlier in the season.

YSU gives up the game winning TD on the opening kick-off. EIU never had a sustained drive, but still won. Then the Guin back-up QB falls out of the snap with no time-outs left and the team never tried to regroup for another snap. There was 14-seconds on the clock. Had Duzzer left Snoddy (the starter) in the game, I doubt this would have happened. Oh well, nice memories & thanks much for the find Owl! I was at the game. Narduzzi was yelling that the fans had torn down the goal posts and thus they did not have a complete field that was ready to play on. At a minimum, they should ahve called a technical and moved the ball back 15-yards. He was right. I really liked Narduzzi, he unfortunately is deceased, but was the father of former Michigan State DC (and 1st-year Pitt head coach) Pat Narduzzi. Pat was also played for YSU ...was an all-American at LB.