PDA

View Full Version : Are 'college coaching lifers' a thing of the past in D-I schools?

bonarae
June 3rd, 2015, 07:34 PM
In the past two years, three of the better-known names in college basketball all signed NBA coaching contracts. Will there be a time when the only 'college coaching lifers' we can see are in small schools (i.e. mid-majors, D-II, D-III and NAIA)?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2484504-fred-hoibergs-nba-move-another-sign-college-game-has-lost-its-coaching-luster?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-basketball

344Johnson
June 5th, 2015, 11:07 AM
In the past two years, three of the better-known names in college basketball all signed NBA coaching contracts. Will there be a time when the only 'college coaching lifers' we can see are in small schools (i.e. mid-majors, D-II, D-III and NAIA)?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2484504-fred-hoibergs-nba-move-another-sign-college-game-has-lost-its-coaching-luster?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-basketball

I think it's natural to want to see how you can do at the highest level of competition. In the NBA, they can worry exclusively about basketball... Not about grades.

I prefer watching collegiate basketball but if LeBron or someone called me up, I imagine it'd be tough to say no to.

clenz
June 5th, 2015, 11:12 AM
There are MANY college coaches who will be lifers.

Hoiberg never wanted to be a college lifer from the start, no matter what the Iowa media wants you to think.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
June 7th, 2015, 10:52 PM
Hoiberg was absolutely destined for the NBA. If the opportunity at Iowa State did not come about Fred likely learns the ropes as an NBA assistant. He already had the front office experience. The Bulls gig is simply too good to pass up. Plus, he remains close to his roots in Iowa.

I don't see Mark Few, Sean Miller, Jay Wright, Bill Self, Tony Bennett or Thad Matta leaving for the NBA. I could a guy like Shaka Smart, Kevin Ollie or Steve Alford giving the NBA a shot. Most people believe Ollie will leave UConn at some point, likely sooner rather than later.....

clenz
June 7th, 2015, 11:10 PM
Hoiberg was absolutely destined for the NBA. If the opportunity at Iowa State did not come about Fred likely learns the ropes as an NBA assistant. He already had the front office experience. The Bulls gig is simply too good to pass up. Plus, he remains close to his roots in Iowa.

I don't see Mark Few, Sean Miller, Jay Wright, Bill Self, Tony Bennett or Thad Matta leaving for the NBA. I could a guy like Shaka Smart, Kevin Ollie or Steve Alford giving the NBA a shot. Most people believe Ollie will leave UConn at some point, likely sooner rather than later.....
Ben Jacobson and Greg Marshall will also never leave for the NBA.

The list of college lifers is actually very long....even without intentionally leaving out non P5 coaches from the initial discussion.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SFA 93
June 10th, 2015, 07:24 AM
I'm just glad Iowa State didn't take our coach Brad Underwood away in the process when he interviewed over the weekend.

If SFA has another 25+ win season, Conference Championship and Tourney appearance this will probably be Underwood's last season in Nac, as so far Marshall, Southern Mississippi, and Iowa State have come calling in which he turned down Marshall and Southern Mississippi.

Kansas State should be next up for Underwood the way that program has been going the last couple of years under Weber.

Glad we get coach Underwood for at least one more season as he has taken SFA to another level and has brought in the best recruits in the history of SFA basketball.

2015-16 Roster

G:#10
Trey Pinkney
5-9
Sr.
** #112 PG; #52 State (ESPN)

G:#1
Demeterious Floyd
5-11
Sr.

G:#3
Jared Johnson
6-0
Sr.

G:#30
Tyler Underwood
6-1
Fr.

G:#5
Lasani Johnson
6-1
Fr.

G:#12
Dallas Cameron
6-3
Jr.
** #136 PG; #43 State (ESPN)

G:#24
Jonny Dahl
6-4
Fr.

G:#15
Payton Stephens
6-4
Fr.

G:#0
Thomas Walkup
6-4
Sr.
SLC POY (All-American)

G:#4
Ty Charles
6-5
So.
*** #33 State (All-State)

F:#11
Clide Geffrard
6-5
Sr.
** #107 SF; #34 State (ESPN)

F:#23
Nathan Bain
6-6
Fr.
*** (McDonalds All-American Nominee)

F:#22
T.J. Holyfield
6-7
Fr.

F:#2
Coris Williams Jr.
6-7
Jr.
** #132 PF; #36 State (ESPN)

F:#35
JaQuan Smith
6-9
Jr.

C:#32
Jovan Grujic
7-0
Fr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg4V3tfdDiw

CHIP72
July 3rd, 2015, 05:24 PM
You need to come to Philadelphia; there are FOUR college coaching lifers there:

*Phil Martelli, St. Joe's: has been the head coach at St. Joe's, his favorite college team growing up, for 21 seasons (and was an assistant at SJU for a few years before that)

*Jay Wright, Villanova: has coached at Villanova, his favorite college team growing up, for 14 seasons (which came after he coached at Hofstra for a few years)

*Bruiser Flint, Drexel: the Philadelphia native and St. Joe's grad has coached at Drexel for 14 seasons (which came after a run as a head coach and assistant coach at Massachusetts)

*Fran Dunphy, Temple: he's only been the head coach at Temple for 9 years, but has done a life-long Philadelphia tour - 1) grew up in Philadelphia, 2) attended and played basketball at La Salle in late 1960s and early 1970s, 3) received a graduate degree at Villanova, 4) was the head coach at Penn for nearly 20 years before moving to Temple after John Chaney retired

The list above doesn't even include La Salle head coach John Giannini, who has coached the Explorers for 11 years and coached in Division II or III (can't remember which, I think it was DIII) for a number of years before that.

The only guy mentioned above who I could see leaving for the NBA is Jay Wright. Actually, I think an NBA job is the only way Wright leaves Villanova voluntarily.

One other lifer - Fran O'Hanlon has coached Lafayette for I believe 20 seasons. Before that he was an assistant to Fran Dunphy at Penn, and long before that he was a standout player at Villanova in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

344Johnson
July 3rd, 2015, 11:03 PM
I believe the women in my family all have crushes in Jay Wright.