PDA

View Full Version : New Division I chairman against "one and done" culture

bonarae
May 19th, 2015, 07:11 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12914284/northwestern-wildcats-ad-jim-phillips-decries-one-done-culture

He thinks it's really time to re-evaluate the status of college basketball moving forward.

I think it's time for the NBA and NCAA to collaborate together now regarding this issue. xtwocentsx

clenz
May 19th, 2015, 07:15 PM
Needs to go the baseball route.

You can go out of high school if you want. By doing so, even if undrafted you forgo all NCAA eligibility.

If you decide to go to school you're there three years and not able to be drafted/signed by an NBA or NBADL team during that time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OhioHen
May 20th, 2015, 06:41 AM
Unless the NBA gets on board, the NCAA can't stop the one-and-done individuals, but COULD put a stop to the practice of a team full of them with one simple rule.
When an athlete is awarded a scholarship, that scholarship counts against the school's maximum allotment for the sport until one of the following occurs:

1 - athlete completes four years of eligible participation in the sport OR
2 - five full seasons of the sport pass (the usual limit for an athlete to complete four years of eligible competition) OR
3 - athlete completes a legitimate four year degree from the school OR
4 - athlete transfers to another institution on scholarship OR
5 - athlete passes away

As long as a one-and-done can be replaced immediately by another scholarship player, there is no incentive for mercenary coaches to avoid mercenary players.