PDA

View Full Version : Garoppolo and the Pats

tomq04
May 8th, 2015, 09:04 PM
Probably wrong forum, but it's been slow.

How do we think old Jimmy is going to do starting in place of the "so famous he's in famous" Brady.

I've been waiting for Garoppolo to have a starting shot since last year. I know he played one game in the blow out loss to KC and did throw a TD. Any thoughts on how he will do?

KPSUL
May 8th, 2015, 09:57 PM
Probably wrong forum, but it's been slow.

How do we think old Jimmy is going to do starting in place of the "so famous he's in famous" Brady.

I've been waiting for Garoppolo to have a starting shot since last year. I know he played one game in the blow out loss to KC and did throw a TD. Any thoughts on how he will do?

Unless your talking about him starting in preseason I think you got at least a couple more years to wait. The patriots must have a lot of confidence in his future the made the clear decision that he'd be their #2 QB last season. There is obviously some talent at New England to identify guys who can play some football, so I suspect he will be solid NFL QB when given the chance.

Twentysix
May 8th, 2015, 10:06 PM
I thought Brady is possibly going to be suspended the entire year? I don't really follow NFL stuff, just something I saw pop up in my news feed that I half read.

bonarae
May 9th, 2015, 05:20 AM
Hmm, only time will tell if Garoppolo will become the next Aaron Rodgers or he may become the next Tim Tebow, or even Mark Sanchez? We may never know the outcome of Brady's suspension until training camp proper in July.

centennial
May 9th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Brady will be suspended. The only question is for how long? Probably a 4 game suspension. Garoppolo will have his day.

Sader87
May 9th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Free TB!!!!! xdrunkyx

Mattymc727
May 9th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Jimmy G played in the last game of the season against Buffalo and looked awful. Im excited for his future but he will have to wait until Brady retires. Brady is still very competitive and won't be conceding his spot anytime soon.

No way Brady is suspended a year. That's rediculous. A guy who beat his wife on camera only got two games.

chattownmocs
May 9th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Jimmy G played in the last game of the season against Buffalo and looked awful. Im excited for his future but he will have to wait until Brady retires. Brady is still very competitive and won't be conceding his spot anytime soon.

No way Brady is suspended a year. That's rediculous. A guy who beat his wife on camera only got two games.

Actually his career was basically ended. But brady literally cheated at football. How anyone could make an argument that he shouldn't be suspended is ridiculous.

Dane96
May 9th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Actually his career was basically ended. But brady literally cheated at football. How anyone could make an argument that he shouldn't be suspended is ridiculous.

No, not ridiculous. Just a New England fan. And sadly, I'm surrounded by them and the irrational thoughts that come with the territory. I will say, sports radio here has been generally open minded about the fact that Tom likely cheated...and should be suspended.

That's called progress, in New England.

Mattymc727
May 10th, 2015, 07:14 AM
I said it's rediculous to suspend him a year. Not the suspension itself. A dude beat his wife on camera and got two games. Brady possibly under inflated balls .5 psi and the nfl will suspend him a year? That's a joke.

Twentysix
May 10th, 2015, 07:53 AM
I said it's rediculous to suspend him a year. Not the suspension itself. A dude beat his wife on camera and got two games. Brady possibly under inflated balls .5 psi and the nfl will suspend him a year? That's a joke.

off field personal offense vs cheating in game.

:\

IMO one instance should involve the team disciplining a player, the other should involve the league.

Who knows what they will do.

chattownmocs
May 10th, 2015, 08:13 AM

I don't know who you are talking about. But it takes a really strangemind to not understand the difference between beating your wife and cheating at football when it comes to a football suspension.

Mattymc727
May 10th, 2015, 09:04 AM
His name is Ray Rice.

So the NFL would rather have men that break the law playing than a player that does something every qb admits to doing?

Cool

BucBisonAtLarge
May 10th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Brady also failed to cooperate with the investigators, refusing to turn over his cel phone records. The cel phone records figure pretty prominently in the reporting on the implicated locker room staff. I have not seen that 'everyone does it' story. Must be a New England thing. If everyone is doing it, investigative reporting should be feasting on it. I loathe the Pats but cannot imagine that he would get a year. Four games even sounds tough, but this might be one of those 'slippery slope' interruptions. The NFL needs to keep its rules house in order. Bookies everywhere count on it.

chattownmocs
May 10th, 2015, 09:51 AM
His name is Ray Rice.

So the NFL would rather have men that break the law playing than a player that does something every qb admits to doing?

Cool

Every QB didn't admit it and it was obviously enough out of the ordinary that the colts noticed it. But ray rices career ended because of what he did, absurdly I might add.

chattownmocs
May 10th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Brady also failed to cooperate with the investigators, refusing to turn over his cel phone records. The cel phone records figure pretty prominently in the reporting on the implicated locker room staff. I have not seen that 'everyone does it' story. Must be a New England thing. If everyone is doing it, investigative reporting should be feasting on it. I loathe the Pats but cannot imagine that he would get a year. Four games even sounds tough, but this might be one of those 'slippery slope' interruptions. The NFL needs to keep its rules house in order. Bookies everywhere count on it.

I don't think it tarnishes his on field legacy or accomplishments. I don't think it ruins the argument that he is the GOAT if one is so inclined to argue that he is. But when the game ball is tampered with you have tampered with the integrity of the game. 4 games seems appropriate.

Bisonator
May 10th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Doubt Brady gets more then a couple games off. Kraft pretty much owns Goodell and the league. His team seems to get by with everything. What's that maybe a big fine? Yeah like he can't afford it lol. Belicheat should have been banned years ago but he got a slap on the wrist. I guess the integrity of the game means nothing to the NFL but heaven forbid when someone does something outside the game to tarnish their public image. When did the league or the public become the judge and jury for personal issues that the actual law seems to be able to handle? Yet when it actually pertains to the integrity of their sport or league they tend to look the other way. Ass backwards thinking if you ask me.

Mattymc727
May 10th, 2015, 11:29 AM
It's no different than jerry rice using stickum or a pitcher spitting on his hand. Competitors will do a lot of things to get a small competitive advantage and you're ignorant if you think the Patriots are the only team that does it.

It's ok though, you guys can have your suspension, and then the pats will go out and win super bowl 50 and put the Lombardi right up your butt.

Bisonator
May 10th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Brady responds: https://www.facebook.com/HuffingtonPost/videos/vb.18468761129/10153047811401130/?type=2&theater

xlolx

Bisonoline
May 11th, 2015, 12:03 AM
I would interested in knowing what evidence everyone is basing their decision on that Brady is guilty?

Twentysix
May 11th, 2015, 12:41 AM
I would interested in knowing what evidence everyone is basing their decision on that Brady is guilty?

Text messages xlolx Isn't that the only evidence that is needed anymore?

The NFL report said "it was more than probable" that Jim McNally, the officials locker room attendant, and John Jastremski, an equipment assistant for the Patriots, were involved in "a deliberate effort to release air" from the footballs after they were examined by the referee.

The report includes text messages between McNally and Jastremski that imply Brady was requesting footballs deflated below 12.5 pounds per square inch.

The 243-page report said league investigators found no evidence that coach Bill Belichick and team management knew of the practice.

chattownmocs
May 11th, 2015, 01:06 AM

The overwhelming circumstantial evidence that would probably be enough to convict in a jury trial.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 11th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Can't take credit for this research, I picked it up from comments on an online article:

Brad Johnson Paid $7,500 to Have Footballs Altered In Super Bowl XXXVII

https://www.sbnation.com/2015/1/21/7865605/brad-johnson-tampa-bay-buccaneers-super-bowl-deflategate

Aaron Rodgers:
“‘I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football, even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it,'” Simms said Rodgers told them before the game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/20/aaron-rodgers-likes-his-footballs-overinflated/

Packers QB Aaron Rodgers Says Officials Deflating Footballs Is 'Major Problem’ In the NFL

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/aaron-rodgers-calls-refs-deflating-balls-major-problem-article-1.2086653

Eli Manning’s Footballs Are Months in Making
Each N.F.L. team has 12 to 20 balls a game that have been prepared according to the preferences of its starting quarterback.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/sports/football/eli-mannings-footballs-are-months-in-making.html?

Former Jets QB And Pro-Bowler Jeff Blake Says He Had Footballs Deflated Every Game and Says Every Team Deflates Footballs

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12244290/ex-quarterback-jeff-blake-deflating-footballs-common

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/01/needles_on_sidelines_former_jets_qb_jeff_blake_had .html

Former Cardinals and Heisman Trophy Winner Matt Leinart Says “Every” Quarterback Tampers With The Ball

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/leinart-says-every-quarterback-tampers-with-the-ball-except-one/

And none of this goes into the former players on ESPN I heard talking about putting vaseline on their arms, cooking spray all over their uniforms, stickum on their gloves, etc. All of which is just as egregious as a half pound PSI in a football. Multiple game suspensions going forward for every offender of this type of transgression?

I'm just glad I'm more of an FCS Fan than FBS and especially NFL fan because the NFL is a freaking joke. Sorry but Ray Rice's behavior isn't of lessor significance because it happened outside the football arena. Nor is the recent draftee who beat his girl friend with her little brother in the room. He plea bargained which apparently satisfied the NFL when they should have read the eye witness statements. Goodell and the NFL fiddle like Nero over a freaking soft football while ignoring thugs, deviants, druggies, etc. The only money out of my pocket that will go to the NFL is whatever portion of the Sports Package fee of $10/month I pay because it includes the NFL TV channel. Unfortunately I need that package to watch FCS games during the season. Plan on recording even more of them this season as an alternative to the NFL.

bonarae
May 11th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Just heard this on Twitter now:

Brady not in action for four games
Pats lose two draft picks - 1st round in 2016 (first time for the team in 7 years) and 4th round in 2017
Team has $1 million fine

xsmhx

FargoBison
May 11th, 2015, 04:40 PM
Wow Goodell dropped the hammer down.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 11th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Brady has to appeal this. The NFL is becoming the NCAA when it comes to dishing out punishment. No rhyme or reason....

bonarae
May 11th, 2015, 04:44 PM
In addition, the two concerned Patriots employees have also been suspended indefinitely.

Brady can still participate in offseason and preseason activities though; he will miss games against the Steelers, Bills, Jaguars and Cowboys. Can any of these four teams all steal W's against the Pats?

Teal2018
May 11th, 2015, 05:03 PM
The part I don't understand is taking away the draft picks. This seems more like a player breaking the rules than the organization. I get two Patriots staffers were involved but it seems like just Brady and those guys who worked with Brady on preparing the balls for the games, it was not the whole organization breaking the rules.

Mattymc727
May 11th, 2015, 05:09 PM
This is a disgusting penalty by Fuhrer Goodell and the NFL. No part of this Ponzi investigation (Put on by Goodells cronies) warrants taking away draft picks, organizational penalty, or even a suspension. This is a reactive decision made by an incompetent organization as a result of jealous media and fanbases.

centennial
May 11th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Brady will be suspended. The only question is for how long? Probably a 4 game suspension. Garoppolo will have his day.
I called it.

Mattymc727
May 11th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Starting NFL QB's week 1 of NFL:

Eastern Illinois - 2

Alabama - 0

KPSUL
May 11th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Getting back to the original questioned raised on this thread, it will be very interesting to see Garoppolo QB the Patriots for 4 games this season. It may actually turn out to be beneficial to the Patriots long term one way or the other. It will give Garoppolo invaluable experience he wouldn't gain otherwise and it will give the Pats a chance to get a better look at JG and assess his potential to be their starting QB in a couple years.

KPSUL
May 11th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Starting NFL QB's week 1 of NFL:

Eastern Illinois - 2

Alabama - 0

And they are likely to face one another Week 5.

Smitty
May 12th, 2015, 10:38 AM
This is a disgusting penalty by Fuhrer Goodell and the NFL. No part of this Ponzi investigation (Put on by Goodells cronies) warrants taking away draft picks, organizational penalty, or even a suspension. This is a reactive decision made by an incompetent organization as a result of jealous media and fanbases.

They have been talking about this for a couple weeks now. Saying it is a reactive decision is a little much. The team got penalized because of the employees roles. At any point the equipment managers could have brought this up and they could have prevented all of this. Remember Sean Payton was suspended for a year because of Bountygate and he wasn't even involved.

When the appeals go through Brady will be suspended for 2 games, the Pats will still get fined but possibly get their 1st round pick back (still losing their 4th round).

clawman
May 12th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Remember Sean Payton was suspended for a year because of Boutygate and he wasn't even involved.

An "n" makes a big difference!:)

Smitty
May 12th, 2015, 10:48 AM
An "n" makes a big difference!:)

Haha my "n" key is pretty sneaky.

kdinva
May 12th, 2015, 11:30 AM
How about this?

It's OK for a team to have game balls underinflated......but their kicker and punter have to use the same, soft, balls in kicking situations.....I'd like to see any NFL kicker have his kickoffs go into the endzone if the ball is 20% or so underinflated.... xcoffeex

Mattymc727
May 12th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Whats most frustrating is that the NFL has now set a precedent that it cares more about air pressure than the well being of its players or fans. Players can take PED's, , beat their girlfriends, beat their wives, beat their children and its less of a penalty than the possibility of deflating balls, which had zero effect on the game. They use the word "integrity" in the ruling, and yet the league has zero integrity itself. Just awful.

Fuhrer Goodell couldnt be more spineless or sackless if he tried. Guy is just a clown of epic proportions. If this was the Jacksonville Jaguars, nobody would give a damn.

kdinva
May 12th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Fuhrer Goodell couldnt be more spineless or sackless if he tried. Guy is just a clown of epic proportions....

....with a salary that is 20x what it should be.....

Mattymc727
May 12th, 2015, 11:32 AM
How about this?

It's OK for a team to have game balls underinflated......but their kicker and punter have to use the same, soft, balls in kicking situations.....I'd like to see any NFL kicker have his kickoffs go into the endzone if the ball is 20% or so underinflated.... xcoffeex

Interestingly enough, the Patriots kicker, Stephen Gostkowski, also refused to cooperate or turn in his cell phone. No penalty for him?

UNH72Plus
May 12th, 2015, 11:45 AM
To answer the first question, I think Garoppolo will perform well. He has a great arm and is certainly more mobile than Brady. The down side is the Pat's have lost a lot of talent, especially on defense but to a lesser extent on offense, too. Their o-line will likely be weaker, particularly if Connelly is not re-signed, and the loss of Shane Vereen, one of the best third down receivers out of the backfield, is going hurt them.

Just a couple other items to fuel the fire. Re: Brady's cell phone, any texts from Brady to the guys who are alleged to have done the deflating would have showed up on their phones, so what else is there to be seen.

Re: the pressure in the balls, a group of mechanical engineering students at Carnegie Mellon University simulated the game day conditions, i.e. they inflated the balls to 12.5 psi at 75 degrees (the temperature inside the stadium and the alleged starting pressure in the balls), left them in a room at 55 degrees (the average temperature on game day) for two hours (the time they sat around on the field before the game), and exposed them to wet conditions like what happened on the rainy day. The average drop in pressure was 1.82 pounds. Oh, by the way, two of the students were Colt's fans and one was a Pats fan. Hmmm!

Another interesting fact, one pressure gauge used on the Pat's balls was consistently 0.3 to 0.45 psi lower than the other gauge. However, on three of the four Colts balls tested it was around 0.5 psi higher than the other. Also, since one of the gauges consistently showed that the Colts balls were within the legal range, the Wells report disregarded the other gauge data that showed three of the four balls to be below 12.5 psi.

When asked why only 4 of the Colt's balls were tested during the 15-20 minute half time break, it was stated that they didn't have enough time to test them all. Yet they claimed that the 1 minute 40 second "bathroom break" taken by the ball boy was more than enough time to deflate the 11 balls.

Reasonable doubt, you betcha!

Smitty
May 12th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Whats most frustrating is that the NFL has now set a precedent that it cares more about air pressure than the well being of its players or fans. Players can take PED's, , beat their girlfriends, beat their wives, beat their children and its less of a penalty than the possibility of deflating balls, which had zero effect on the game. They use the word "integrity" in the ruling, and yet the league has zero integrity itself. Just awful.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/54955114.jpg

Ray Rice was suspended for 2 games, yes that was bad. Greg Hardy was suspended 10 games this year with no pay after taking a full year off (with pay) last year. It probably would have been more if the chick showed up in court. Adrian Peterson I don't have a clue really, played 1 game last year, his suspension was overturned or something.

I realize since this is your team (and everybody feels its personal when their team gets penalized) this isn't that bad. Brady will sit for a few games and you get to figure out of Garoppolo is the future. Better figure this out now before Brady retires and then you are left with nobody.

Mattymc727
May 12th, 2015, 12:39 PM
The list goes on, DUI's, stabbings, manslaughter, marijuana. Brady now gets lumped into that, for something so insignificant its beyond words. Had this happened to any other organization in the NFL I would say its just as puzzling and stupid.