PDA

View Full Version : Could Samford Have Another NFL High Draft Pick In 2016?

SU DOG
May 6th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Nobody knows yet, and I'm certainly not counting on it, but as a Bulldogs fan, I sure enjoyed reading this. And hey, it could happen.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2454604-2016-nfl-draft-an-early-look-ahead-to-next-year/page/8

PaladinFan
May 7th, 2015, 07:20 AM
Nobody knows yet, and I'm certainly not counting on it, but as a Bulldogs fan, I sure enjoyed reading this. And hey, it could happen.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2454604-2016-nfl-draft-an-early-look-ahead-to-next-year/page/8

I've pretty well forgotten the last time Samford started a QB that they recruited and signed out of high school. Five years? Talliaferro?

SU DOG
May 7th, 2015, 08:26 AM
Not sure what your point is. Historically(as I know you are aware), Furman has also had success with xfer QBs. FYI, I think you will see a 3*** RS-Soph. QB signed out of the local B'ham area playing for the Dogs in 2016.

PaladinFan
May 7th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Not sure what your point is. Historically(as I know you are aware), Furman has also had success with xfer QBs. FYI, I think you will see a 3*** RS-Soph. QB signed out of the local B'ham area playing for the Dogs in 2016.

It's not a critique. It's a question. I think you have to go back to 2011 to find a game where Furman played a Samford team quarterbacked by a guy they recruited out of high school. Just didn't know if there were any starts in between then and now.

I'm not suggesting Furman has never had a transfer QB. Ingle Martin was perhaps one of the greatest transfer players in FCS/IAA history. Eubanks has been good for Samford, but his numbers pale in comparison to what Ingle Martin did for the Paladins as a junior.

So, it's not a critique. Furman has benefited from the system, too.

SU DOG
May 7th, 2015, 09:03 AM
And coincidentally Furman had a QB that year(2011) named Chris Forcier - a transfer from UCLA.

PaladinFan
May 7th, 2015, 11:01 AM
And coincidentally Furman had a QB that year(2011) named Chris Forcier - a transfer from UCLA.

Again, I'm not saying Furman has never had a transfer QB. Samford has only played with only transfer QBs for the last 4 seasons. Certainly you can see that distinction.

smallcollegefbfan
May 16th, 2015, 10:57 AM

The QB isn't ranked nearly that high. That's just someone guessing because the player is big, has an arm, and is a FBS transfer. There are 3 FCS QBs with a better shot at the draft at this point. It could certainly change though. Between him and Huesman he has better NFL tools so is probably going to be rated higher by most scouts but Huesman is the better college QB so far. It will be interesting to see if your guy can produce like Huesman. If he puts up 3000 yards and a 20-7 ratio or so then I would not be shocked if he was considered a 5th-7th round QB.

The top prospect on Samford is your CB.

dixiechs
December 28th, 2015, 02:52 PM
or ya know, you mightve seen a RS Fresh at qb
one signed outta HS
:P