PDA

View Full Version : Women > Men (in terms of college basketball)

bonarae
April 27th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Do you agree with this analysis?

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/womens-college-basketball-is-better-than-mens/

Laker
April 27th, 2015, 09:12 PM
No.

I coached both boy's and girl's basketball. I worked both for many summer camps. I have season tickets for MSU-Mankato and watch both the men's and the women's teams. I watch a lot of college teams and detest the NBA. The article talks about the lack of upsets- there are very few teams in women's basketball in the top echelon. I can't agree that the women's game is "better".

RabidRabbit
April 29th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Following the reasoning, the NCAA DI WBB puts a better quality group of top teams out there than college MBB. Due to the lack of incentives, and near prohibition on top ladies taking their talents to pro basketball early, I would concur that the best women's BB is played at the collegiate level, rather than the WNBA. The same simply isn't true in the men's basketball world. NBA talent is clearly ahead of NCAA talent, any given season.

What I do like about WBB, is that you actually need to play team ball, and actually create shots. Defensive play is key to success. Men's basketball is mostly about feeding twin 7' and keeping the other team out of the paint/rebounds.

I enjoy the success of both men's and women's. I simply admire the platoon system, going 10-12 deep that SDSU WBB coach Aaron Johnston deploys. And he'll play that whether taking on Notre Dame, Stanford, Maryland (all teams that SDSU has played regular season) or the NJIT or Denver U's of the world. It has been amazing watching the Jacks wear out their opponents in games. MBB Coach Nagy doesn't play as deep, and it catches up when there is a noticible decrease in abilities on the floor as the game goes on.