PDA

View Full Version : James Madison @ #4 Youngstown

Pages : 1 [2]

jmuduke999999999
November 21st, 2006, 02:06 PM
Perfectly stated, thank you.

What happened at the URI game....just a lot of attempts?

67 attempts for URI vs 38 for JMU.....URI still averaged under 4 yards a carry even with all that yardage, finishing at 3.7 ypc.

Paladin1aa
November 21st, 2006, 02:12 PM
Give us 67 or more attempts and see what happens !! :thumbsup:

Happy Penguin
November 21st, 2006, 02:20 PM
67 attempts for URI vs 38 for JMU.....URI still averaged under 4 yards a carry even with all that yardage, finishing at 3.7 ypc.

Wow, that must have been torture to watch. You'd think with the new timing rules they wouldn't be able to get that many carries a game.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 21st, 2006, 02:21 PM
Feel good all you want, we are still #1 in the field of Rushing Defenses. But even this stat is skewed due to the high number of sacks we have.

The real story is the style of running game. I wish I were better at explaining the matchups, but I once read someone's analysis that pointed out how our Zone D plays right into the hands of a team with a Wishbone Option. Our speedy hard hitting LB tend to over pursue in this case and the safeties and DBs must come up to make tackles missed on the Line and by the LBs.

YSU's running game is unique, but much more traditional than an option offense. (From what I gather) The Penguins use Tressel's play that sweeps the OT around to the Center to create a huge running lane. Watching the video, all but maybe one of those runs were up the gut. I think due to our speed and size we will handle this well, although i would guess we'll give up one huge run at some point, likely in the 1st quarter.

Why do i think we'll stop it? Our athleticism. As a Redskins fan, I know all too well what time it takes for tackles to pull from one side of the line to the other, creating great blocking lanes, but also allowing for strong fast linemen to break free from the O-line and make tackles, as well as have the LBs fill in the gaps. This is why CP has been struggling in DC. The speed is faster in the NFL than it was in the 80's. I expect the same on Saturday. Some 7-8 yard runs, but mostly 1-2 yd pick ups. Put YSU in enough 3 and 6+ situations, we'll be just fine.

I'm not trying to be a homer here, just trying to explain a little bit about why the option kills JMU and we're still not "afraid" of your Walter Payton nominee. He is a great back. We'll see some good plays. Your going to need more than a RB and O-line to beat us on Saturday. Good luck and see you in Ohio!

ChickenMan
November 21st, 2006, 02:24 PM
I agree stopping the running game may be be a problem... but for YSU

YSU's 'D' has given up an average of 144 yrds per game on the ground

JMU's 'D' has given up an average of 83 yrds per game on the ground

in fact JMU's 'D' is statistically far better overall than YSU's... allowing only 249 per game vs YSU's 341.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 21st, 2006, 02:24 PM
Wow, that must have been torture to watch. You'd think with the new timing rules they wouldn't be able to get that many carries a game.

When you score faster than the other team, it gives them many more opportunities to get tackled. :D

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 21st, 2006, 02:26 PM

in fact JMU's 'D' is statistically far better overall than YSU's... allowing only 249 per game vs YSU's 341.

With all the fanfare around Santos from UNH, Rascati doesn't get as much credit as he deserves for being a mobile QB. We often get discourged by him tucking and running with the ball too soon. Nevertheless, he is a playmaker and sacrifices his body when he needs to. If he makes it to the next level, he'll have to learn not to do this or his career will last 1-2 games max.

Happy Penguin
November 21st, 2006, 02:31 PM

Lots of teams have to play catch-up against us. Sometimes we play soft and give up the underneath stuff and make teams drive the length of the field and kill the clock while we lay back and go for turnovers. Sometimes we bring a lot of pressure (See @IlSt; @WKU). It depends on the gameplan that week.

Numbers are numbers, the only one that counts is the final score.

Let's just hope no one is on here Sunday complaining about the refs. Nothing can take the thrill out of a great matchup like the zebra's taking it out of the kids hands. :bang:

Happy Penguin
November 21st, 2006, 02:32 PM
With all the fanfare around Santos from UNH, Rascati doesn't get as much credit as he deserves for being a mobile QB. We often get discourged by him tucking and running with the ball too soon. Nevertheless, he is a playmaker and sacrifices his body when he needs to. If he makes it to the next level, he'll have to learn not to do this or his career will last 1-2 games max.

I'm looking forward to seeing him. Mobile QB's can be deadly...we have a few in the Gateway so I imagine we'll have something in store for ya.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 21st, 2006, 02:37 PM
Lots of teams have to play catch-up against us. Sometimes we play soft and give up the underneath stuff and make teams drive the length of the field and kill the clock while we lay back and go for turnovers. Sometimes we bring a lot of pressure (See @IlSt; @WKU). It depends on the gameplan that week.

Numbers are numbers, the only one that counts is the final score.

Let's just hope no one is on here Sunday complaining about the refs. Nothing can take the thrill out of a great matchup like the zebra's taking it out of the kids hands. :bang:

It's obvious that there is more in common between our teams than different. It will be a great show for athletic matchups as well as game planning.

As far as refs, let's pray for a clean, honest well-called game. The refs in Boone did not cost us the game vs. App St., but they also did us no favors.

Your QB is still a bit of a mystery to me. Don't know much about him.

Paladin1aa
November 21st, 2006, 02:44 PM
Zetts is a 3 year starter. Can run the option. Also scrambles. But we throw to keep D's honest and for a change-up in the running attack. He'll throw everywhere --Rb's, Te's and WR's.

Our "spread" is a little different. :nod:

Happy Penguin
November 21st, 2006, 02:46 PM
It's obvious that there is more in common between our teams than different. It will be a great show for athletic matchups as well as game planning.

As far as refs, let's pray for a clean, honest well-called game. The refs in Boone did not cost us the game vs. App St., but they also did us no favors.

Your QB is still a bit of a mystery to me. Don't know much about him.

We haven't had to throw the ball much this year. Our pass protection has been very good when we do (another strength on strength macthup it seems). We have had a knack for untimely interceptions, lncluding 4 against UNI in a game we still could have won had it not been for a mysterious illegal man downfield penalty to negate a late TD pass.

We throw short to the WR's a lot..out cuts, curls, etc. We have 2 TE's that are big and very athletic but don't get the ball enough. Our FB is a great weapon out of the backfield, but he doesn't see the ball much either.

Our QB doesn't scramble much but he's very good at the read-option out of the shotgun (Think Texas' offense last year).

I imagine everyone's comfort level would decrease if we had to rely on our passing game to come from behind. That being said I have confidence he could get it done. Biggest knocks SOME fans have are.....too short, doesn't see the field well, arm not strong enough.

Your fast, athletic D sounds like Illinois State to me. We lined up in some jumbo sets and put a hat on a hat and took their speed away. I don't know off the top of my head how much we ran for, seemd like 2 miles. If I were a coach that's what I'd try against you.

bandl
November 21st, 2006, 02:54 PM
So here's a question...how does the playoff experience of the current players match up?

JMU2004
November 21st, 2006, 02:54 PM
We haven't had to throw the ball much this year. Our pass protection has been very good when we do (another strength on strength macthup it seems). We have had a knack for untimely interceptions, lncluding 4 against UNI in a game we still could have won had it not been for a mysterious illegal man downfield penalty to negate a late TD pass.

We throw short to the WR's a lot..out cuts, curls, etc. We have 2 TE's that are big and very athletic but don't get the ball enough. Our FB is a great weapon out of the backfield, but he doesn't see the ball much either.

Our QB doesn't scramble much but he's very good at the read-option out of the shotgun (Think Texas' offense last year).

I imagine everyone's comfort level would decrease if we had to rely on our passing game to come from behind. That being said I have confidence he could get it done. Biggest knocks SOME fans have are.....too short, doesn't see the field well, arm not strong enough.

Your fast, athletic D sounds like Illinois State to me. We lined up in some jumbo sets and put a hat on a hat and took their speed away. I don't know off the top of my head how much we ran for, seemd like 2 miles. If I were a coach that's what I'd try against you.

Thats the way to beat a JMU defense. Run right at them..... You won't score a lot of points that way, but it does seem to be a weakness. Much more so in years past, but now our DTs are huge and fast, so we'll just have to see.

ChickenMan
November 21st, 2006, 02:55 PM
Are any YSU fans concerned with what... statistically... appears to be a pretty modest YSU defense?

JMU has some real nice athletes on the offensive side of the ball and if YSU's defense isn't better than it statistically appears... JMU will move and maybe control the football.

Paladin1aa
November 21st, 2006, 03:05 PM
ILS RB Rembert was a Mich transfer and tore up the league. We stopped him. SIU's Whitlock was also very good. Another win .

GFC has great athletes with many moving on to the Pros. We have seen Air McNair in the play-offs and destroyed him.

D is a YSU strength. Bring on the Dukes !! :nod:

bandl
November 21st, 2006, 03:09 PM
We have seen Air McNair in the play-offs and destroyed him.
With what players on your current roster? xcoffeex

grayghost06
November 21st, 2006, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know if TV coverage at Stambaugh shows the big stands or the little ones. I think the difference in perception would be dramatically different from viewers-one side looks very big-time...the other looks like leftovers.

Happy Penguin
November 21st, 2006, 03:10 PM
Are any YSU fans concerned with what... statistically... appears to be a pretty modest YSU defense?

JMU has some real nice athletes on the offensive side of the ball and if YSU's defense isn't better than it statistically appears... JMU will move and maybe control the football.

We're very schizophrenic on D this year it seems. Some games we're lights out, some we give up tons of yards. I think we'll be OK, time will tell. One week, we shut Rembert of IlSt down to less than 20 yards, next week Whitlock from SIU kills us.

One change from years past, we have the O to keep us in the game if our D slides a bit.

Don't let the numbers fool you, we have a lot of skill on D, playmakers at all 3 levels. You probably won't find a better corner tandem in 1-AA (oops, GCS or whatever).

Happy Penguin
November 21st, 2006, 03:12 PM
With what players on your current roster? xcoffeex

Players, none. Current head coach was D coordinator. Keep looking for holes :hurray:

Paladin1aa
November 21st, 2006, 03:14 PM
TV typically shows both sides of the stadium. I imagine ESPN will have multiple cameras. The home side is very impressive on TV. The short side looks OK.

This ain't the horseshoe in Columbus with 106K. But filled with fans, its impressive.

bandl
November 21st, 2006, 03:20 PM
Players, none. Current head coach was D coordinator. Keep looking for holes :hurray:

Keep looking for excuses to bring your school's ancient playoff history into the equation. If the D coordinator could shut down Steve McNair way back when...how come he hasn't been able to take YSU to the playoffs since 2000? Seems that might have something to do with a certain coach that is long gone more than the coach that is still there. :read:

Point is...playoff history of years long long past has nothing to do with this game.

castoff
November 21st, 2006, 03:21 PM
Just want to add my thoughts on this match-up and it goes along with many other comments. What would possess the selection committee to match the number five ranked team in the country (YSU) against the Number 6th ranked (James Madison)!

Excuse me for being paranoid, but ould it be the committee wanted one of the stronger teams out early so as not to upset their applecart as to who they might want in the finals?

For YSU fans, remember they tried that in 94 when they brought Alcorn State and Steve McNair to YTown!

Anyway, should be a great game. As most of you have said, definately, the best opening round match-up.

chiapet9
November 21st, 2006, 03:22 PM
Oh- you want to start education smack? You form the school in mobbed up, rot gut, raggedy Youngstown? Let's see, Bachelor's Hampton, Master's UVA, Second Master's (Does it matter, I have TWO), career path has included- US Army, Teacher, and currently, Consultant. Oh yeah, I forgot the six figure salary. I guess my education did "[go] far", although education is an idea, inanimate, and can't actually "go" anywhere. Make sure your subjects and verbs agree before you start smacking with me, youngster.:thumbsup:

OUCH.
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

go pirates! ARRRGH!

Hoboken Dukes
November 21st, 2006, 05:41 PM
rockheed mccarter boys and girls, got a feeling he's going to make some big plays for us. the man will be a beast for us before it's done, hope we get him involved on saturday although it's tough to look to a frosh. he made some big plays vs. delaware and towson.

while i'm by no means comfortable with having to go play a great team in ysu, i have utmost confidence in rascati managing the game, moving the chains by any means necessary, and playing with the utmost efficiency. the key is not giving up big plays early and letting our mashers on the o-line do their thing late.

Daved
November 21st, 2006, 05:52 PM
Keep looking for excuses to bring your school's ancient playoff history into the equation. If the D coordinator could shut down Steve McNair way back when...how come he hasn't been able to take YSU to the playoffs since 2000? Seems that might have something to do with a certain coach that is long gone more than the coach that is still there. :read:

Point is...playoff history of years long long past has nothing to do with this game.You are 100% right ,ancient playoff history will have nothing to do with this game.We haven't been to the playoffs since 2000 but we are definitely there now-thats the only thing that counts.JT is long gone and undoubtedly will go down in history as one of if not the greatest college football coaches.That doesn't mean that we automatically don't stand a chance against JMU.JT never won a Gateway title or ever defeated 4 GFC teams on the road in one season.Jon Heacock has done both.JMU just got beat by Villanova--a team that Maine held to negative 39yds rushing.I have no doubt that JMU IS a very tough team that YSU has respect for but if you really believe that they are afraid of them and their superior stats you need a reality check.Our D usually bends a lot but rarely breaks-it took Penn State nearly half a game to score their first td against us.Fortunately we sat Mason out in that game but had he played I think the final score would have been very respectable.

GoGuins
November 21st, 2006, 06:05 PM

YSU had a "modest" defense in '99 but an offense much like this year and they made it to the I-AA title game. Sometimes stats can be deceiving

Zoo
November 21st, 2006, 06:36 PM
I'm totally watching this game saturday, I can put USC and Notre Dame aside.:D

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 21st, 2006, 07:28 PM
I'm totally watching this game saturday, I can put USC and Notre Dame aside.:D
I heard they moved JMU/YSU game from ESPN2 to ESPN and no coverage of the USC/ND game..........lol

I would say this is by far the most talked about first round game on AGS. This should be a great game......let's toss the stats......get the beer cold and watch one heck of a game.

GO DUKES

Dukes by 10

FlyYtown
November 21st, 2006, 07:46 PM
Kinda freaky to see this on an Ohio Sports Board:

Just found this interesting. The last time the Guins opened the playoffs on National TV against a high profile 1 AA team was 1994 against Alcorn State. The date 11/25/1994. The date Saturday, 11/25 on National TV against the # 6 team in the country.

YSU 63-20 Winners!

GO Y S U !!!!!

HIU 93
November 21st, 2006, 08:22 PM
Just like YSU did to Hampton in '97?:D

If any of the players on that 1997 team are STILL playing for YSU, then y'all are bigger cheaters now than when Jim Tressel was coaching you .:eek: xlolx

chiapet9
November 21st, 2006, 08:27 PM

Just found this interesting. The last time the Guins opened the playoffs on National TV against a high profile 1 AA team was 1994 against Alcorn State. The date 11/25/1994. The date Saturday, 11/25 on National TV against the # 6 team in the country.

YSU 63-20 Winners!

GO Y S U !!!!!

creeeeeeepy.

HIU 93
November 21st, 2006, 08:30 PM
UNH is very beatable, that game is a toss-up as far as I'm concerned. It wouldn't be a major upset if you won it.

That being said, you're still acting like jerk. :thumbsup:

Contribute something tangable (if you have anything) or go troll somewhere else, like the smack board, and leave the internet for the grown ups. Do you even have a clue about this match-up?

also, what are bamas? Sorry I don't have a Hampton degree so I'm not up-to-date on that one.

1. Obviously, you don't know me very well. I'll go wherever I please and contribute whatever I please. I've seen combat, wrestled, and I pledged Omega. You internet thuggery does not scare me one bit.

2. I have a clue that two years ago, JMU won a National Championship, when was your last one? I have a clue that kids JMU stole from us in the 757 are some bad mothers and have speed, strength, and country boy toughness the likes of which you bamas have never seen.

3. If you would leave the wasteland that is Youngstown, you would know colloquialisms from other areas and you may be familiar with "bamas". You should be familiar with them now, because you are one.:thumbsup: xlolx

goguins444
November 21st, 2006, 08:40 PM
When was your last national championship?

GoGuins
November 21st, 2006, 08:54 PM
1. Obviously, you don't know me very well. I'll go wherever I please and contribute whatever I please. I've seen combat, wrestled, and I pledged Omega. You internet thuggery does not scare me one bit.

2. I have a clue that two years ago, JMU won a National Championship, when was your last one? I have a clue that kids JMU stole from us in the 757 are some bad mothers and have speed, strength, and country boy toughness the likes of which you bamas have never seen.

3. If you would leave the wasteland that is Youngstown, you would know colloquialisms from other areas and you may be familiar with "bamas". You should be familiar with them now, because you are one.:thumbsup: xlolx

Is Cap'n Cat back?

FlyYtown
November 21st, 2006, 09:02 PM
If you would leave the wasteland that is Youngstown

That is uncalled or immature: if Youngstown is such a wasteland: then why do 500,000 people live in our area?????? Ask JMU fans on Monday if it's a wasteland!

jmuroller
November 21st, 2006, 09:04 PM

I officially take back anything and everything I've ever said negative abotu Hampton. I am now a huge fan of the Pirates...:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

GoGuins
November 21st, 2006, 09:06 PM
http://www.ysu.edu/sports/ncaa.htm
Gameday Central (Parking, Visitor's Guide, Maps)

http://www.ysu.edu/sports/football/2006/YSUvsJamesMadison.pdf
YSU Game Notes

http://www.ysu.edu/sports/broadcast/fbpress11-21-06.mp3
YSU Tuesday Press Conference

http://www.ysu.edu/sports/football/2006/jmunotes.htm
YSU Release

GoGuins
November 21st, 2006, 09:08 PM
That is uncalled or immature: if Youngstown is such a wasteland: then why do 500,000 people live in our area?????? Ask JMU fans on Monday if it's a wasteland!

Just north of the campus is a wasteland, I know I work there!:D

BTW-For the JMU fans coming, where are you staying?

XJMU84
November 21st, 2006, 09:14 PM

YSU 63-20 Winners!

GO Y S U !!!!!

Sure glad that JMU's defense is MUCH better than the D that Alcorn State had way back then. That's why McNair had to put up so many points to win games!!! :smiley_wi

FlyYtown
November 21st, 2006, 09:20 PM

I think you mean south and east... The North Side of Youngstown has some of the most majestic houses in the state. Fifth Ave, which Stambaugh is on used to be the place for the wealthy to call home.. Even today those houses are owned by the very wealthy!

GoGuins---Enough making ytown look like a cesspool.

PenguinPride23
November 21st, 2006, 10:58 PM
With all this talk about power running game, and questions about our O... I hope Deke Ison is available, I mean Gibson did pretty well with Lane in at FB, but Deke adds a threat in the short passing game and is a knockout blocker as well. I remember Deke snagging an 8 yard pass over a UC Davis defender on the sideline and taking it 40 more yards to the house. We need more of that, considering Peterson is our only other consistent receiving threat.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 21st, 2006, 11:47 PM
I just drove through Ohio on my way to Illinois and I didn't see anything there that made me think that any team from Ohio could win against the Dukes... (excluding maybe OSU, but you never know on AGS!!!)

JMU 34
YSU 21

BDKJMU
November 22nd, 2006, 01:27 AM
I agree that they're power running PHILOSOPHIES, but the personnel is where I think that the true definition of a power running GAME goes out the window.

A power running game includes the philosophy, the O-line and the running back. I would not be surprised if YSU had 250 on the ground against us (I wouldn't like it). I WAS surprised when URI had that. Not because of the philosophy, but because of the players.

Was at the URI game. By FAR JMU's worst defensive game of the year. JMU yields an avg of 84 yards a game on the ground. If I remember correctly, they gave up -2 vs UR (who came into the game avg 217 at the time), 9 against UNH, 12 against Towson, 20 against UD. That 249 against RI really sticks out. That "dishbone" or whatever the hell they call that offense gave JMU fits. VMI also runs the same offense, but they really suck. About a 1/4 of that 249 total was that long 1st possession run. It was also on a whopping 67 carries, only 3.7 per carry. RI ran 86 plays to JMU's 47. Problem with JMU is they had difficulty converting 3rd downs and had several quick strike scores. RI converted majority of 3rd downs. JMU did have 17 tackles for loss that game. So many fakes and misdirections. Hell, half the time it took me a couple seconds to figure out which RI back had the ball. Problem with RI its a high risk offense. I remember Matthews saying they usually lead the league in turnovers, but when they don't turn the ball over they are tough to beat. They didn't turn the ball over against JMU till late in 4th. JMU has ALOT of team speed, and also 2 big (290) DT both of who made 2nd team A-10 defense, and Akeem in the middle. They do better against the teams that try to run smash mouth (ex Richmond). Where they can get hurt is with alot of misdirection where their speed can get them out of position. I hope YSU just tries to shove it down JMU's throat. I think JMU would do fairly well in dealing with that. I will be a little more worried if YSU does a lot of misdirection.

Also with the only 15.1 ppg JMU is giving up. 8 TDs/55 points of that came in mid-late fourth quarter garbage time when JMU was up by 3-7+ TDs. Really only about 10 pts per game given up by starters in contested game time. Didn't see this in 04' because only 3 wins really went into garbage time. This yr 6 did.

BDKJMU
November 22nd, 2006, 01:43 AM

YSU 63-20 Winners!

GO Y S U !!!!!

Wasn't McNair hobbling around on a bum ankle that game? Couldn't even scramble? Not that if he wasn't they would have won, but it would have been alittle closer. maybe like 56-30 or 40 something. If I remember Alcorn State with Air McNair that year had a sick offense and a very weak defense.

BDKJMU
November 22nd, 2006, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKJMU
The Buffalo Wild Wings, 3 blocks south of campus according to their website:
http://buffalo.know-where.com/buffalowildwings/cgi/site?site=03076&address=&design=default&lang=en&mapid=US

and the Grant Street/5th Avenue intersection, which is at the southwest corner of Stambaugh Stadium (got a pretty good campus map off of YSU's website) appears to be alot more than 3 blocks from stadium (northwest side of campus). Mapquest says .85 mi (you can see what I mean if you pull it up on mapquest).

It doesn't look like any of the big parking/tailgate lots are near the BW3. I plan to hit the BW3, but also want to tailgate to after going to BW3 and before the game), and don't really want to move my vehicle in between but looks like may have to. Looks like JMU fans wanting to do the same will be in the same boat.

In other words, looks like there won't be any tailgating going on near the BW3. YSU fans- is this the case?

It's a pretty good hike from BW3's up to the stadium, and all uphill....I don't know of anyone that tailgates that far away.

Hang out there until 4 or so, then drive up and find a place to park near the stadium (parking deck, private yards....there are spots all over) and walk through the lots. I'm assuming they will already be sold out, you may want to try the lower lot for parking but M-24 lot always is full of pre-sales.

Once you're parked head on over to either lot, you'll find plenty of folks who'll accomidate you. And you can buy beer right in the lot so you don't look like a freeloader :smiley_wi

Thanks HP. My contact in the JMU athletic dept said tailgate lots are M7 and M24. I see on the map they're both adjacent to each other. I'm hoping that if I hit the BW3 for an hr or 2 and then am looking to park for tailgate by 5 that I'll be able to find a good spot with some fellow JMU fans.

BDKJMU
November 22nd, 2006, 02:12 AM
Harrisonburg Daily News Record
From Tues:
Mickey still irked
http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=7414&CHID=3&key=JMU%20football&title=&author=&channelid=

Rascati back in running
http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=7411&CHID=3&key=JMU%20football&title=&author=&channelid=

From Wed:
JMU & YSU assistant coaches meet at truck stop.
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=7449&CHID=3

Jordan is the man.
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=7450&CHID=3

GoGuins
November 22nd, 2006, 05:41 AM
I think you mean south and east... The North Side of Youngstown has some of the most majestic houses in the state. Fifth Ave, which Stambaugh is on used to be the place for the wealthy to call home.. Even today those houses are owned by the very wealthy!

GoGuins---Enough making ytown look like a cesspool.

No, I mean northside. I work here everyday, see the vacant houses burning down, drug dealers standing on the corners, watch on the news as someone is shot & killed once again, US Marshalls in our p-lot plotting their next move.

Yes, it used to be a nice neighborhood near Wick Park and beyond, but that was 40 years ago! Most of those houses are run down now

Wake up and open your eyes!:rolleyes: Better yet, let some of the JMU fans drive a few blocks north of the YSU campus and let them give an opinion

GoGuins
November 22nd, 2006, 05:50 AM
Harrisonburg Daily News Record
From Wed:
JMU & YSU assistant coaches meet at truck stop.
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=7449&CHID=3

Youngstown’s best offensive player, tailback and Walter Payton candidate Marcus Mason, might not play Saturday. He missed the Penguins’ final regular season game with an ankle injury after rushing for 249 yards and two scores in Youngstown’s crucial Nov. 4 win over Southern Illinois and might not practice much this week.

"He hasn’t practiced, but I think he’s going to have a shot to go," Heacock said.

Mason will definitely play, his ankle is fine. He played on it after he hurt in in the SIU game and even scored a 25 yd TD. They sat him last week knowing they'd have an extra week of rest. I'm sure he's paid a visit to Coach Hartzell

Q Gibson (back-up) is just as good, it's nice having depth in the backfield

GoGuins
November 22nd, 2006, 06:00 AM
If any of the players on that 1997 team are STILL playing for YSU, then y'all are bigger cheaters now than when Jim Tressel was coaching you .:eek: xlolx

What!!! St Tressel cheats?!:eyebrow: Sorry, couldn't resist

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/jpierson1970/tressel.jpghttp://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/jpierson1970/Tresselbook.jpg

Sam Adams
November 22nd, 2006, 06:00 AM
I'm predicting an A10 Rd.1 Sweep. The Dukes will win this game. UNH will take care of Hampton, and hopefully UMass can avoid the upset to Lafayette.

Dukie95
November 22nd, 2006, 07:31 AM

Holiday Inn Metroplex

GoGuins
November 22nd, 2006, 07:41 AM
Holiday Inn Metroplex

Not a bad place, but not much to do or see on that end of town (Liberty)
Good thing is you're about a 10 min. drive from the YSU campus.
You have a restaurant & comedy club in there

I tell visiting people to stay at the Holiday Inn in Boardman. Longer drive but more to do & see & much nicer area

Dukie95
November 22nd, 2006, 07:46 AM
Not a bad place, but not much to do or see on that end of town (Liberty)
Good thing is you're about a 10 min. drive from the YSU campus.
You have a restaurant & comedy club in there

I tell visiting people to stay at the Holiday Inn in Boardman. Longer drive but more to do & see & much nicer area

Maybe next time. :)

I just need a bed to crash in after the game, then I'm heading back out first thing in the morning to get out in front of all the holiday traffic. Proximity to the stadium was all I was interested in.

Happy Penguin
November 22nd, 2006, 08:26 AM

1. Don't want to know you...you're a troll and a punk. Too bad you're not making the trip so I could tell you in person.
2. Whatever champ.1 and done this year.
3. I don't live in Ohio.

Wow, you really are the king of the internet. Let''s never fight again!

PS...I think I may be falling for you. :nod:

BillLuc1982
November 22nd, 2006, 08:55 AM
Thank you Madisonian. I like you already. I will be at Armstrong on Saturday watching my Pirates, but I will TIVO your game so I can watch my fellow Virginians stomp a mudhole in YSUcks and walk it dry.

GO DUKES!!!!

YSU fan in Virginia here (but visiting Ohio for Thanksgiving and the game)

BillLuc1982
November 22nd, 2006, 08:57 AM
Holiday Inn Metroplex

Dukie, my parents live on that end of town so I'm here right now. Getting out of DC was hell last night. It took me 2 hours to get from Arlington to Frederick. I-270 was a nightmare. If I wouldn't have gotten on SR 355 in Hyattstown, I probably would have wasted 30 more minutes.

bandl
November 22nd, 2006, 08:59 AM
Dukie, my parents live on that end of town so I'm here right now. Getting out of DC was hell last night. It took me 2 hours to get from Arlington to Frederick. I-270 was a nightmare. If I wouldn't have gotten on SR 355 in Hyattstown, I probably would have wasted 30 more minutes.
Traffic down here in Alexandria is LIIIIIGHT right now...hardly anyone on the streets. That might change later in the day though, especially with the rain coming in. I'm driving up to NJ/NY, leaving at 8PM tonight. Fun. :bawling:

Dukie95
November 22nd, 2006, 09:08 AM

Wow..sorry to hear that...at least you got there safely. Thanksgiving traffic is really bad...I'm not looking forward to the return trip on Sunday. That's why I'm leaving as early as possible.

HIU 93
November 22nd, 2006, 09:12 AM
you're a troll and a punk

The world is vast and wide, but also small and intimate. Remember that when making these statements.:thumbsup:

Happy Penguin
November 22nd, 2006, 09:34 AM
The world is vast and wide, but also small and intimate. Remember that when making these statements.:thumbsup:

Can't we all just get along????

HIU 93
November 22nd, 2006, 09:40 AM
Can't we all just get along????

It's funny when people who do the calling out get called out, they then want to get along. Now we see who the real punk is. :rolleyes:

mcveyrl
November 22nd, 2006, 09:48 AM
This is nothing more than a pipe dream, but I would like to see YSU on our schedule regularly (along with ASU, Montana, etc.). Does anyone have any memory of some regular OOC games coming out of a playoff series?

BDKJMU
November 22nd, 2006, 10:23 AM

Hampton Inn 3-4 mi. north of campus.

BDKJMU
November 22nd, 2006, 10:35 AM
Traffic down here in Alexandria is LIIIIIGHT right now...hardly anyone on the streets. That might change later in the day though, especially with the rain coming in. I'm driving up to NJ/NY, leaving at 8PM tonight. Fun. :bawling:

I could drive from S.E. PA (Philli area) to Connecticut (family Thanksgiving gathering) this evening, but that 3.5 hr drive could take me 6-7 hrs. Screw that. I refuse to make a long trip in Wed Thanksgiving traffic. Busiest travel day of the year. Tomorrow morning leaving at o-dark early and making the drive. Fri I'll head to Scranton, PA (on the way from CT to Youngstown) and stay with a friend. Sat I'll drive the rest of the way to Youngstown, and will be making the return trip to SE PA on Sun.

Happy Penguin
November 22nd, 2006, 10:35 AM
It's funny when people who do the calling out get called out, they then want to get along. Now we see who the real punk is. :rolleyes:

It was a joke son, try to keep up.:thumbsup:

You must have missed the context.

Happy Penguin
November 22nd, 2006, 10:38 AM
This is nothing more than a pipe dream, but I would like to see YSU on our schedule regularly (along with ASU, Montana, etc.). Does anyone have any memory of some regular OOC games coming out of a playoff series?

That'd be great. There really aren't many close 1-AA's to YSU. I'm surprised we don't play an A-10 each year...seems like we try to, but it doesn't always work out.

It makes sense...especially if you look at the selection committee's "regions"

BillLuc1982
November 22nd, 2006, 11:30 AM
They need an interstate from Harrisonburg to Morgantown.

howvan
November 22nd, 2006, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKJMU
The Buffalo Wild Wings, 3 blocks south of campus according to their website:
http://buffalo.know-where.com/buffalowildwings/cgi/site?site=03076&address=&design=default&lang=en&mapid=US

and the Grant Street/5th Avenue intersection, which is at the southwest corner of Stambaugh Stadium (got a pretty good campus map off of YSU's website) appears to be alot more than 3 blocks from stadium (northwest side of campus). Mapquest says .85 mi (you can see what I mean if you pull it up on mapquest).

It doesn't look like any of the big parking/tailgate lots are near the BW3. I plan to hit the BW3, but also want to tailgate to after going to BW3 and before the game), and don't really want to move my vehicle in between but looks like may have to. Looks like JMU fans wanting to do the same will be in the same boat.

In other words, looks like there won't be any tailgating going on near the BW3. YSU fans- is this the case?

Thanks HP. My contact in the JMU athletic dept said tailgate lots are M7 and M24. I see on the map they're both adjacent to each other. I'm hoping that if I hit the BW3 for an hr or 2 and then am looking to park for tailgate by 5 that I'll be able to find a good spot with some fellow JMU fans.
If you plan on tailgating in the M24 (across the street from the stadium) or M7 (south of M24 and stadium) lots, you'll need to get a tailgating pass for $15. See http://ysusports.com/ncaa.htm for all the info you'll need.

castoff
November 22nd, 2006, 01:57 PM
That'd be great. There really aren't many close 1-AA's to YSU. I'm surprised we don't play an A-10 each year...seems like we try to, but it doesn't always work out.

It makes sense...especially if you look at the selection committee's "regions"

Actually, the closest major I-AA to YSU would be Bucknell in Lewisburg, Pa about 2 1/2 to 3 hours away.

We won't count the mid-majors (Robert Morris and Duquesne) as they are still basically non-scholly, although Robert Morris has begun to give some athletic scholarships.

Also keep in mind that the A-10 is a two division conference and there isn't a lot of room for open dates with these schools.

However, the Penguins have played some A-10 schools in the past. Here's some of them and the Penguin record against them: Delaware (1-6), Hofstra (3-0), James Madison (2-1), Maine (3-2), Massachusetts (1-1), Northeaster (6-3), Richmond (0-1), Towson State (4-0), and Villanova (7-2). Overall the Penguins are 27-16 against A-10 opponents. (Don't read anything into that, it means nothing)

JMUSaxMRD
November 22nd, 2006, 03:12 PM
The band is staying in boardman i think it is. Redroof and fairfield inns? We were too big for just one hotel :)

BDKJMU
November 22nd, 2006, 04:32 PM
If you plan on tailgating in the M24 (across the street from the stadium) or M7 (south of M24 and stadium) lots, you'll need to get a tailgating pass for $15. See http://ysusports.com/ncaa.htm for all the info you'll need.

Howvan, thanks. So basically its $15 to park in these lots. Can you tailgate in any other lots (grill, alcohol (discreetly))? I'll pay the $15 for M-7/M-24 if there will be any other JMU fans in there, esp since my tailgating compadre isn't making the trip and I'll be coming by myself. I'm going to ask my contact in the JMU athletic dept about what he's heard.

I was expecting to pay $30-$40 total for ticket/parking. I was guessing tickets would be $20-$25, with a $5 processing fee ordering through JMU, and parking would be $5-10.

It turns out that tickets were only $14, $5 processing, but tailgate parking near the stadium looks like $15. $34 not bad. Thats peanuts compared to gas (full size pickup), tolls, tailgate, hotel.

BDKJMU
November 22nd, 2006, 04:34 PM
In this Monday article from the Harrisonburg, VA Daily News Record the committee head claims it was due to geography:

"That’s right out of the directives from the NCAA," Hardt said. "We literally get out the atlas. We try to look for geographic matchups, bus trips rather than flights."

http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=7397&CHID=3&key=JMU%20football&title=&author=&channelid=

Durham, NH to Hampton, VA: 643 mi.
Harrisonburg, VA to Youngstown, OH: 318 mi. Total 961 mi.

However, if it had been UNH @ YSU and JMU vs Hampton, the overall mileage would have been shorter.

Harrisonburg, VA to Hampton, VA: 208 mi.
Durham, NH to Youngstown, OH: 659 mi. Total 867 mi.

This is from mapquest. A little off because the campuses aren't centered on the downtowns. But still, so much for his geography arguement.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2006, 04:39 PM
Don't stay too close to campus. Parking was crazy for our regular season game. We parked illegally like a lot of other people down by Buffalo Wild Wings (about 6 blocks from campus).

redbirdtim
November 22nd, 2006, 05:26 PM
I'm glad this game is at 7:30 CT. I will hopefully be back from EIU in time to see this showdown.

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
November 22nd, 2006, 06:17 PM
i'm pretty sure its 7:30 ET

redbirdtim
November 22nd, 2006, 06:58 PM
Hmmm...I should be back then for at least the 2nd half and hopefully most of the 1st.

FlyYtown
November 22nd, 2006, 07:31 PM
Howvan, thanks. So basically its $15 to park in these lots. Can you tailgate in any other lots (grill, alcohol (discreetly))? I'll pay the $15 for M-7/M-24 if there will be any other JMU fans in there, esp since my tailgating compadre isn't making the trip and I'll be coming by myself. I'm going to ask my contact in the JMU athletic dept about what he's heard.

I was expecting to pay $30-$40 total for ticket/parking. I was guessing tickets would be $20-$25, with a $5 processing fee ordering through JMU, and parking would be $5-10.

It turns out that tickets were only $14, $5 processing, but tailgate parking near the stadium looks like $15. $34 not bad. Thats peanuts compared to gas (full size pickup), tolls, tailgate, hotel.
Wanna add our concessions are very cheap... About the tailgating.. It's only done in M24 and M7 Lots... Sorry... But its $15 to tailgate there. You can park for free or 5 dollars depending on where you park and go in the lots to tailgate... Of course I figured you knew that!

Happy Penguin
November 22nd, 2006, 07:35 PM
Wanna add our concessions are very cheap... About the tailgating.. It's only done in M24 and M7 Lots... Sorry... But its $15 to tailgate there. You can park for free or 5 dollars depending on where you park and go in the lots to tailgate... Of course I figured you knew that!

By all means park where you can then walk to the 2 "official" lots. You won't go hungry or thirsty. YSU fans love to host visiting fans.

LehighFan11
November 22nd, 2006, 08:05 PM
JMU fans, how many people including band are going?

FlyYtown
November 22nd, 2006, 08:19 PM
JMU fans, how many people including band are going?

We sent them 2000 tickets, I think 1500 will show up.. Take up half the east stands.. NOT ALL OF IT!

penguinonastick
November 22nd, 2006, 08:49 PM
Another nice place to eat before the game is University Pizza located on Rayen Avenue by the school of business. They have a ton of different beers and great pizza and Vic puts lamb, beef, chickens and pig on the spit in the morning. I know he will welcome all - even JMU fans.

GO GUINS:hurray:

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 22nd, 2006, 10:59 PM
I know of 190 confirmed students attending this event through an event invitation on facebook... :rolleyes:

DirtyDukes
November 22nd, 2006, 11:08 PM
I know of 190 confirmed students attending this event through an event invitation on facebook... :rolleyes:

Make it 191.

NC Mountaineer
November 22nd, 2006, 11:32 PM
this should be a close game...would be better in the later rounds though

kobe
November 22nd, 2006, 11:38 PM
might be a little late, but is youngstown central time?

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 22nd, 2006, 11:44 PM
The line starts at Illinois, just learned that yesterday when I crossed over that border!

kobe
November 22nd, 2006, 11:46 PM
why arent you gonna say yes or no? now i have to get an atlas and change my watch

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 22nd, 2006, 11:47 PM
Haha, no... Its ET

Tubby Raymond
November 23rd, 2006, 06:45 AM
Acting as if the fact we are the GATEWAY CHAMPS Means nothing.

GATEWAY CHAMPS= Nothing

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 23rd, 2006, 08:16 AM
I believe the pep band will be approx. 150........the latest info from my MRD.......TROMBONES RULE..........

Go Dukes

jmuroller
November 23rd, 2006, 08:20 AM
I was told last night that we are bringing about HALF of the Band..which is almost 150!!

FlyYtown
November 23rd, 2006, 09:40 AM
GATEWAY CHAMPS= Nothing
When the Gateway takes down the A-10 this year in the playoffs, make sure you change that post!

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 23rd, 2006, 09:59 AM
I was told last night that we are bringing about HALF of the Band..which is almost 150!!

So according to the posts made before the Richmond game that should be worth at least a field goal!! :thumbsup:

And FlyYtown... Theres not going to need to be any editing of that post... Because the A10, Big Sky, and SoCon are going to control all of the playoff spots starting at the semi-finals!!

FlyYtown
November 23rd, 2006, 10:26 AM
So according to the posts made before the Richmond game that should be worth at least a field goal!! :thumbsup:

And FlyYtown... Theres not going to need to be any editing of that post... Because the A10, Big Sky, and SoCon are going to control all of the playoff spots starting at the semi-finals!!

I disagree, if YSU and ILSU win this week we will be guarenteed to have on in the Semi's and I would call it now, SIU would beat Montana. The SIU offense is REALLY Good and Whitlcok if REALLY Good. I love the Griz but I just haven't seen enough out of their offense to counter the SIU offense....

So hopefully we can have the Gateway all the way to the title!

Tribe4SF
November 23rd, 2006, 10:36 AM
How many are expected at this game?

FlyYtown
November 23rd, 2006, 10:44 AM
How many are expected at this game?
Right now we have about 10000 tickets sold, one more pre-gameday sale tomorrow and then all of Saturday.

I think we will see about 15-16,000...
If ILSU and YSU Win: it will sell out next week.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 23rd, 2006, 10:48 AM
I disagree, if YSU and ILSU win this week we will be guarenteed to have on in the Semi's and I would call it now, SIU would beat Montana. The SIU offense is REALLY Good and Whitlcok if REALLY Good. I love the Griz but I just haven't seen enough out of their offense to counter the SIU offense....

So hopefully we can have the Gateway all the way to the title!

First, I the numbers point to a JMU win this weekend. But we'll have to show up. Which will definately happen with the emotion this team has comming off of the last two weeks of the season.

Second, the Griz offense doesn't need to worry about the SIU offense... Its the D that does. Time and time again you find that defense wins the battle between two powerful teams. The Griz defense is fine and will limit SIU to under 30 which will give their offense a good shot at winning the game. I just think they find a way to win each game.

Third, if not for a second round UMass/UNH game you might have seen three A10 teams make it the semis.

Fourthy, just because the Gateway got more teams into the playoffs doesn't mean that they're better teams... Maine and Towson are playoff caliber teams that just got beaten up on by current playoff teams to loose their spots.

Tribe4SF
November 23rd, 2006, 12:22 PM
Right now we have about 10000 tickets sold, one more pre-gameday sale tomorrow and then all of Saturday.

I think we will see about 15-16,000...
If ILSU and YSU Win: it will sell out next week.

That would be exceptional for a first round game. Even Montana and Delaware don't approach their averages for first rounders, although I read that the Griz have sold 18,000 in advance.

redbirdtim
November 23rd, 2006, 01:42 PM
I will predict this, at least one Gateway team makes the semis and at least 2 make the Elite 8. We have a seeded team playing and two teams playing OVC teams. I don't know what's up with all the Gateway hate, I really don't feel like reading 30 pages of posts, but hopefully we'll find out on the field on Sat.

FlyYtown
November 23rd, 2006, 06:24 PM
Just throwing this out now..... Big Surprise will be there saturday night.. That is ALL I can say.

th0m
November 23rd, 2006, 06:33 PM
What is that supposed to mean?

FlyYtown
November 23rd, 2006, 06:57 PM
What is that supposed to mean?
Let's just say, if what I am saying comes true; that 12 in a row advantage at YSU in the playoffs will be 13 with this object down there.

th0m
November 23rd, 2006, 07:21 PM
Well you didnt exactly define your 'surprise'. It's like one of those things that you come back on after the game, saying "I told you so", if you win, that is. And if you lose, well then I guess that was a 'surprise' as well.

Either way, something's gotta give. JMU's rush defense, or YSU's rushing offense.

BillLuc1982
November 23rd, 2006, 07:29 PM
Well you didnt exactly define your 'surprise'. It's like one of those things that you come back on after the game, saying "I told you so", if you win, that is. And if you lose, well then I guess that was a 'surprise' as well.

Either way, something's gotta give. JMU's rush defense, or YSU's rushing offense.

Why should he tell if it's a surprise? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

FlyYtown
November 23rd, 2006, 07:33 PM

How bout I tell 2 YSU Fans it on this site via PM and they can testify to it come saturday.. Then I may decide to post it... I will PM Bill now so in case this does hit the news, I can say I told you so!

redbirdtim
November 23rd, 2006, 07:47 PM
How about telling a non-YSU fan. I will volunteer to hold the information and release it only after the game.

FlyYtown
November 23rd, 2006, 07:50 PM
Bill and I have the same info, If you wanna find out. Look over on BuckNuts.com forums...

chiapet9
November 23rd, 2006, 08:40 PM
well - the good news for JMU fans is that if we win Saturday we're guaranteed a home game for next weekend. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

FlyYtown
November 23rd, 2006, 08:40 PM
well - the good news for JMU fans is that if we win Saturday we're guaranteed a home game for next weekend. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
Says Who? You have to re-bid all over again pet! Illinois State is not a seed either!

chiapet9
November 23rd, 2006, 08:52 PM
i know people who know people :smiley_wi

even though we'd have to bid again - we'd only be bidding for one game at that point (assuming App State is as good as everyone says they are and makes it through Coastal and the winner of the MSU/Furman game - and judging by how badly they beat Furman - I'm pretty sure they'll be in the Semis) if we win this weekend - we'd play a quarterfinal game....if we won there's a 100% chance we'd be in Boone as long as they win.

i heard it through the grapevine that JMU bid so much we would actually LOSE money on home game even if we sold out. that's how badly we wanted a homegame.

FlyYtown
November 23rd, 2006, 09:18 PM
Here is all the Information You Need.... GO PENGUINS AND GO ?????--Just read the LINK! (http://www.eguins.frihost.net/cms/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=88#88)

Daved
November 23rd, 2006, 09:19 PM
Another nice place to eat before the game is University Pizza located on Rayen Avenue by the school of business. They have a ton of different beers and great pizza and Vic puts lamb, beef, chickens and pig on the spit in the morning. I know he will welcome all - even JMU fans.

GO GUINS:hurray:Was surprised at how many different beers this place has.I think Vic was on the team back when Jaws was the QB--good food & beer!

Henny
November 23rd, 2006, 09:20 PM
These types of comments from JMU fans are becoming all too familiar. Talking about getting a home game in the next round before playing a seeded team with the tradition of Youngstown, away is beyond comprehension.

For those YSU fans out there, yes, JMU's team is talented on both sides of the ball, and has a QB who finds ways to win games but pay little attention to the JMU fans that are new to football success over the past few years.

chiapet9
November 23rd, 2006, 09:20 PM
so tressel will be at the game? was this the big "surprise" that you were trying to keep secret? so what if he's there...he doesn't play for Youngstown. he's not some omnipotent being. he can't win the game for you.

Daved
November 23rd, 2006, 09:21 PM
GATEWAY CHAMPS= NothingDelaware this year=Nothing(at best)

FlyYtown
November 23rd, 2006, 09:22 PM
so tressel will be at the game? was this the big "surprise" that you were trying to keep secret? so what if he's there...he doesn't play for Youngstown. he's not some omnipotent being. he can't win the game for you.
Read my comments. I really do think the players would be really pumped if this man, who is going to win national title #6 speaks to them... Something that can not be said down the hallway to the JMU Locker Room!

Daved
November 23rd, 2006, 09:26 PM
Just throwing this out now..... Big Surprise will be there saturday night.. That is ALL I can say.Could it be JT paying us a visit?

Daved
November 23rd, 2006, 09:30 PM
Bill and I have the same info, If you wanna find out. Look over on BuckNuts.com forums...
BuckNuts?Sounds even more like JT coming-I figured he would definitely come here if we made playoffs.

CentDukesFan
November 23rd, 2006, 09:31 PM
Read my comments. I really do think the players would be really pumped if this man, who is going to win national title #6 speaks to them... Something that can not be said down the hallway to the JMU Locker Room!

theres nothing he can say to a team that is down 14 points at the half xlolx xlolx

FlyYtown
November 23rd, 2006, 09:32 PM
theres nothing he can say to a team that is down 14 points at the half xlolx xlolx
Was that supposed to be funny because I am not laughing!!!

Daved
November 23rd, 2006, 09:39 PM
theres nothing he can say to a team that is down 14 points at the half xlolx xlolxAs long as we are ahead at the end of the game I won't care what he says.

chiapet9
November 23rd, 2006, 09:40 PM
i think its funny:p

BillLuc1982
November 23rd, 2006, 09:47 PM
Was surprised at how many different beers this place has.I think Vic was on the team back when Jaws was the QB--good food & beer!

If you like a good microbrew, University Pizzeria has many good choices. So does the Draught House downtown (near the corner of Hazel and Federal Streets).

GoGuins
November 23rd, 2006, 09:48 PM

I'll make sure I bow in St Tressel's presence:rolleyes:

He's wasting his time on Zordich, my sources say he's narrowed his choices down to Penn St & Michigan

GoGuins
November 23rd, 2006, 09:50 PM

Please, OSU hasn't won the NC yet. He'll be coaching the Browns in 2-3 years

FlyYtown
November 23rd, 2006, 09:52 PM
You act like I want them to win one.. HELLLLLL No.
But about Zordich... my lord he is a living beast and would start on YSU the second he'd step foot on the field. He is one hell of a player!

GoGuins
November 23rd, 2006, 09:57 PM
You act like I want them to win one.. HELLLLLL No.
But about Zordich... my lord he is a living beast and would start on YSU the second he'd step foot on the field. He is one hell of a player!

Agreed, Is it Sat yet?

And Fly, GO IRISH!

BillLuc1982
November 23rd, 2006, 09:59 PM

Tress coaching NFL? I don't think so. He'll be at OSU forever as far as I know. Sometimes coaching college is better than coaching pro.

chiapet9
November 23rd, 2006, 10:01 PM
Sometimes coaching college is better than coaching pro.

hahaha...yeah....just ask Joe Pa.

FlyYtown
November 23rd, 2006, 10:09 PM
Nothing can help the Browns, not even Tressel. The team is cursed and will never be successful.

BillLuc1982
November 23rd, 2006, 10:11 PM
Nothing can help the Browns, not even Tressel. The team is cursed and will never be successful.

I'm surprised they don't call themselves the Cleveland Steamers xlolx

Daved
November 23rd, 2006, 10:23 PM
Tress coaching NFL? I don't think so. He'll be at OSU forever as far as I know. Sometimes coaching college is better than coaching pro.
He will be at OSU forever-he would have stayed at YSU forever if OSU or ND didn't make him an offer.

FlyYtown
November 23rd, 2006, 10:29 PM
He will be at OSU forever-he would have stayed at YSU forever if OSU or ND didn't make him an offer.
He'd still be coaching at YSU had we been accepted in the MAC in 97... Blame Akron and Kent for not having him today; we'd be the Boise St. of I-A!

Blue Hen Nation
November 23rd, 2006, 10:33 PM
The winner of this one takes the title. :nod:

Daved
November 23rd, 2006, 10:35 PM
He'd still be coaching at YSU had we been accepted in the MAC in 97... Blame Akron and Kent for not having him today; we'd be the Boise St. of I-A!
Don't really think he would've turned down any offer from ND or OSU-agree if he had stayed and we were 1-A that eventually we'd become a national power.

FlyYtown
November 23rd, 2006, 10:45 PM
Don't really think he would've turned down any offer from ND or OSU-agree if he had stayed and we were 1-A that eventually we'd become a national power.
Daved think like me here!
Had we gone to I-A; we'd have some bad losing seasons to begin for the first few years then slowly begin to win... by 01; I don't see us being the national power we were in I-AA.... Meaning they don't even look at Tressel!

Hoboken Dukes
November 23rd, 2006, 10:47 PM
called our ticket office yesterday to get an idea of how many tix we'd sold. unfortunately, doesn't sound good. with the students on holiday and the game on tv it seems our usually significant road attendence will not appropriately match the occasion, which is disappointing. at the villanova game we had 2.5-3k easy, i hear at towson it was the same, and listening to the richmond game on the radio the announcers mentioned numerous times that you couldn't tell who was home or away due to the crowd makeup.

i really hope we have some last minute arrivals, unfortunately i can't make it due to a prior committment (like an idiot months ago i booked a trip to indy for the eagles vs. colts game, saturday is locked up with the fam out there).

Daved
November 23rd, 2006, 10:59 PM
Daved think like me here!
Had we gone to I-A; we'd have some bad losing seasons to begin for the first few years then slowly begin to win... by 01; I don't see us being the national power we were in I-AA.... Meaning they don't even look at Tressel!I see your point However its too hard to say for sure that we would have losing seasons.Marshall did great immediately ,in fact I think they made it as far as being ranked #20 after only 3 years in 1-A and I'm pretty sure they won the MAC in the first 2 years that they were in it.Anyway we will never know for sure and I'm sure JT will go down in history as one of the greatest if not the greatest college football coach.

FlyYtown
November 23rd, 2006, 11:00 PM
called our ticket office yesterday to get an idea of how many tix we'd sold. unfortunately, doesn't sound good. with the students on holiday and the game on tv it seems our usually significant road attendence will not appropriately match the occasion, which is disappointing. at the villanova game we had 2.5-3k easy, i hear at towson it was the same, and listening to the richmond game on the radio the announcers mentioned numerous times that you couldn't tell who was home or away due to the crowd makeup.

i really hope we have some last minute arrivals, unfortunately i can't make it due to a prior committment (like an idiot months ago i booked a trip to indy for the eagles vs. colts game, saturday is locked up with the fam out there).
We were only expecting 1500 to 2000.. Now we dont have to worry about you guys taking over the east stands!

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 23rd, 2006, 11:16 PM
We were only expecting 1500 to 2000.. Now we dont have to worry about you guys taking over the east stands!

Why would you care that much about the east stands? They're hardly worth the material when you look at the other side! nearly 10X as big! :eek:

DirtyDukes
November 23rd, 2006, 11:18 PM
Nothing can help the Penguins, not even Tressel. The team is too concerned with the past and will never be successful.

:nod: I agree.xlolx

FlyYtown
November 23rd, 2006, 11:29 PM
:nod: I agree.xlolx
Your name serves you well--I DID NOT POST THAT!

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 23rd, 2006, 11:31 PM
oh ouch... that was Dirty!!

Dirty but true... YSU won't have sucess running the ball on our D line. They'll have to rely on the passing game to open it up, and I don't think it'll be there.

DirtyDukes
November 23rd, 2006, 11:54 PM
Your name serves you well--I DID NOT POST THAT!

Awwwww, thanks guy.

I thought it was pretty obvious you didn't post it.

And it actually refers to the Dirty, Dirty South, which is where I live. I'm beginning the 2 day drive tomorrow from GA to Soon-to-be-whining-about-the-committee-more-than-JMU-fansville.

I'm not really this much of an a**hole, I'm just trying to stir up the pot because I'd love some more JMU/YSU talk before the game. I have to get through 6 more hours of nightshift before I can leave.

Maybe we'll see each other at the game. Cheers!

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 24th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Good luck with the nightshift Dirty Souf Dukes!
I'll be at the game and hopefully afterward we can share a victory beer!

You can join us too FlyY for a playoff football toast.

blur2005
November 24th, 2006, 01:54 AM
I'm going to go ahead and say stop with all the talk about a home game in the second round. Let's get there first. Nothing else should matter at this point, only the game against Youngstown State.

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2006, 06:10 AM
oh ouch... that was Dirty!!

Dirty but true... YSU won't have sucess running the ball on our D line. They'll have to rely on the passing game to open it up, and I don't think it'll be there.

I'm not so sure about that. YSU presents a bigger ground challenge than anyone the Dukes have faced this year. I was surprised by W&M's ability to run some on the Dukes. YSU may not get their usual yardage, but saying they won't have success is probably off base.

That being said, YSU is certainly going to have to throw effectively to win. I doubt they can dominate the game running the ball. The Penguins will need to find a way to slow down JMU's balanced attack. They gave up big yardage and points in several games, and I don't think they can win a shootout against the Dukes.

BDKJMU
November 24th, 2006, 07:25 AM
I'm sure JT will go down in history as one of the greatest if not the greatest college football coach.

Jim Tressell is god and walks on water.:bow: He'll cast a spell on the Dukes so they have no chance to win. Its not fair.:bawling::rolleyes:

BDKJMU
November 24th, 2006, 07:28 AM
And it actually refers to the Dirty, Dirty South, which is where I live.

Want to trade places? I live in the "Dirty North" ;) and hope to someday get back down south of the Mason Dixon line.

FlyYtown
November 24th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Okay how about enough of this BS talk and let's predict the score of the game!

Youngstown State: 31
James Madison: 21
Mason rushes for 170 and 3 touchdown's.
Gibson rushes for 35.
Zetts is 13 for 20 for 1 touchdown, no Interceptions [HELL it can happen, Zetts hasn't thrown a LEGIT interception since the UNI Game; the ILSU interception was off a freaking linemen's helmet and tipped by a linemen for a TD.]

BDKJMU
November 24th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Dukes await Ice Castle

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=7462&CHID=3

FlyYtown
November 24th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Dukes await Ice Castle

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=7462&CHID=3
Whatever... If that Maine coach thinks he can comeback to our place and beat us here again then he can think that all he wants, all I know is we played horrible in the first half and literally dominated in every aspect in the 2nd half....... He must forget we beat him by 3 touchdown's!

FlyYtown
November 24th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Youngstown Vindicator
Penguins Await Tough Task (http://www.vindy.com/content/sports/local_regional/303889293807297.php)

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Classic Mickey in that article.xlolx Youngstown is more than 50 miles from Lake Erie, and the forecast is for winds out of the South at 5-10 mph.

chiapet9
November 24th, 2006, 07:58 AM
i'm gonna say....

JMU 27
YSU 24
1 OT
Rascati 2 TD passes, 1 TD rushing
Rabil 2 FGs, including the game winner in OT after holding YSU from scoring on 4th and goal.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 24th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Youngstown Vindicator
Penguins Await Tough Task (http://www.vindy.com/content/sports/local_regional/303889293807297.php)

"They do everything well, which allows them to be good." xlolx xlolx xlolx

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 24th, 2006, 09:55 AM
I'm not so sure about that. YSU presents a bigger ground challenge than anyone the Dukes have faced this year. I was surprised by W&M's ability to run some on the Dukes. YSU may not get their usual yardage, but saying they won't have success is probably off base.

That being said, YSU is certainly going to have to throw effectively to win. I doubt they can dominate the game running the ball. The Penguins will need to find a way to slow down JMU's balanced attack. They gave up big yardage and points in several games, and I don't think they can win a shootout against the Dukes.

Anyone can get 100 yards rushing when you do it enough... but an average of 3 per carry just won't win the game... Same thing happened against Rhody...
WM JMU

FIRST DOWNS................... 19 20
Rushing..................... 8 8
Passing..................... 9 11
Penalty..................... 2 1
NET YARDS RUSHING............. 112 185
Rushing Attempts............ 32 40
Average Per Rush............ 3.5 4.6

BDKJMU
November 24th, 2006, 10:01 AM
i'm gonna say....

JMU 27
YSU 24
1 OT
Rascati 2 TD passes, 1 TD rushing
Rabil 2 FGs, including the game winner in OT after holding YSU from scoring on 4th and goal.

Dougherty from Sports Network picked JMU 27-24, and Dowd from i-aa.org picked JMU in OT. If either team does score a defensive or special teams TD and the other doesn't, they win. If one team comes out on top on the turnover battle, they win. I'm guessing each team will lose a fumble, but the YSU QB will also throw a pick and Rascati won't. Im going to say 2 JMU touchdowns rushing and 2 passing. 2 YSU TDs rushing, 1 passing, 1 fg, JMU 28-24.

BDKJMU
November 24th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Okay how about enough of this BS talk and let's predict the score of the game!

Youngstown State: 31
James Madison: 21
Mason rushes for 170 and 3 touchdown's.
Gibson rushes for 35.
Zetts is 13 for 20 for 1 touchdown, no Interceptions [HELL it can happen, Zetts hasn't thrown a LEGIT interception since the UNI Game; the ILSU interception was off a freaking linemen's helmet and tipped by a linemen for a TD.]

YSU is rushing for 240 yds a game, and Mason close to 170? JMU giving up 84 yards rushing per game. I'll say split the difference, and YSU gets about 160 yards (after taking off for 2-3 JMU sacks) rushing, with Mason getting about 125 and 2 TDs. I think JMU has only given up more than 100 once, to RI's back. Brooks from W&M had 99. Richardson from ASU who I believe made all Southern Con, possibly could make All American? had 79.

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Anyone can get 100 yards rushing when you do it enough... but an average of 3 per carry just won't win the game... Same thing happened against Rhody...
WM JMU

FIRST DOWNS................... 19 20
Rushing..................... 8 8
Passing..................... 9 11
Penalty..................... 2 1
NET YARDS RUSHING............. 112 185
Rushing Attempts............ 32 40
Average Per Rush............ 3.5 4.6

Stats don't tell the full story. Take out the 6 sacks, and Tribe rushed for 5.5 yards per carry. If you were there you saw what I saw, which was Brooks able to get to the second level on a number of carries. He had 99 yards on 19 carries.

YSU will be watching the tape of that game. If their tailbacks can do what Brooks did, they will rush for over 200 yards, and be in the game. I think it's a given they'll get more than 19 carries.

BDKJMU
November 24th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Stats don't tell the full story. Take out the 6 sacks, and Tribe rushed for 5.5 yards per carry. If you were there you saw what I saw, which was Brooks able to get to the second level on a number of carries. He had 99 yards on 19 carries.

YSU will be watching the tape of that game. If their tailbacks can do what Brooks did, they will rush for over 200 yards, and be in the game. I think it's a given they'll get more than 19 carries.

Honestly, I think the RI game, after 2 blowout wins over NE and VMI, and the week before at #1 at the time UNH, JMU came out a little flat. Also after that monster win over UNH I was worried about a letdown against W&M and was just hoping JMU would get the win. JMU may have had a little bit of a letdown that game. There's was no way there were going to match their focus and intensity from the week before. Add that to the fact that W&M has a decent o-line, and Brooks is one of the better backs in the A-10. I was at both the RI and W&M games. Like I said, I pick Mason to get about 125 and YSU to total about 160. I wouldn't be surprised if JMU held him under 100 and YSU to 125-150. I also wouldn't be surprised if Mason got 150-175 and YSU hit 200. I would be surprised if Mason got 200 and YSU hit their 240 avg.

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Honestly, I think the RI game, after 2 blowout wins over NE and VMI, and the week before at #1 at the time UNH, JMU came out a little flat. Also after that monster win over UNH I was worried about a letdown against W&M and was just hoping JMU would get the win. JMU may have had a little bit of a letdown that game. There's was no way there were going to match their focus and intensity from the week before. Add that to the fact that W&M has a decent o-line, and Brooks is one of the better backs in the A-10. I was at both the RI and W&M games. Like I said, I pick Mason to get about 125 and YSU to total about 160. I wouldn't be surprised if JMU held him under 100 and YSU to 125-150. I also wouldn't be surprised if Mason got 150-175 and YSU hit 200. I would be surprised if Mason got 200 and YSU hit their 240 avg.

A realistic appraisal. The other guy has visions of YSU running game being shut down, and I doubt that will happen.

YSU is going to do what they do best, which is run the ball. I don't think that will be enough to win, and they will need Zetts to have a good game throwing to stay with the Dukes.

BillLuc1982
November 24th, 2006, 10:37 AM
A realistic appraisal. The other guy has visions of YSU running game being shut down, and I doubt that will happen.

YSU is going to do what they do best, which is run the ball. I don't think that will be enough to win, and they will need Zetts to have a good game throwing to stay with the Dukes.

Yes, JMU played some tough teams, but they didn't play UMass.

Some of their games were cake, such as Bloomsburg (I know they're ranked but they're D-2), Northeastern, VMI, and Rhode Island.

All of those teams could probably lose to Indiana State!

JMU2004
November 24th, 2006, 10:42 AM

Some of their games were cake, such as Bloomsburg (I know they're ranked but they're D-2), Northeastern, VMI, and Rhode Island.

Umm, no way that NE or URI lose to Indiana State....VMI probably would. Bloomsburg was a MUCH better team than VMI, D2 or not

BillLuc1982
November 24th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Umm, no way that NE or URI lose to Indiana State....VMI probably would. Bloomsburg was a MUCH better team than VMI, D2 or not

Last year we shut NE and INSU out. It would be closer than you think. I bet NE could lose to Indiana State. Notice I didn't say "definitely"

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 24th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Is it game time yet?

Go Dukes........

LacesOut
November 24th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Holy crikey! LMAO @ the size of this thread, and the game is still a day away!!!

Good luck to both teams.

GO JMU!

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2006, 10:57 AM

This post just shows your ignorance of the A-10. Northeastern was a very tough club this year. Their resume includes a win over New Hampshire. They played seven ranked teams, Virginia Tech, and had their first five games on the road. Only Va Tech handled them as easily as the Dukes did. The best 5-6 team in the country.

blur2005
November 24th, 2006, 11:29 AM
This post just shows your ignorance of the A-10. Northeastern was a very tough club this year. Their resume includes a win over New Hampshire. They played seven ranked teams, Virginia Tech, and had their first five games on the road. Only Va Tech handled them as easily as the Dukes did. The best 5-6 team in the country.
Agreed.

Northeastern would beat Indiana State by three touches at least. No team in the A-10 was really a patsy the way Indiana State and Missouri State (who lost to Indiana State) were this season in the Gateway. Even Rhode Island caused some problems against A-10 foes, including JMU.

As for predictions for this game, I say JMU wins 28-21.

chiapet9
November 24th, 2006, 12:09 PM

No, you're correct. JMU did NOT play UMass. However, JMU played UNH, URI, and Northeastern - all of whom played UMass (and all of whom played each other).

Here's the breakdown of scores of these games.

JMU 42 - UNH 23
UNH:
W 63-21 URI
W 19-13OT Maine
L 36-35OT NE
L 28-20 UMass

JMU 52 - NE 14
W36-35OT UNH
L 7-0 UMass
L 30-3 Maine
W 45-31 URI

JMU 35 - URI 23
W 3-0 Maine
L 63-21 UNH
L 41-16 UMass
L 45-31 NE

Maine: beat NE, but lost 3-0 to URI, 19-13OT to UNH and 10-9 to UMass. UNH lost to NE. NE also held UMass to 7 points.

so what does this tell you about the A-10 north? well - either all these teams are pretty darn good (meaning that 3 good teams are sitting at home for the playoffs - not saying they should be in the playoffs because their records weren't good enough....) - or UMass isn't as good as everyone things they are.

I think UMass IS good, and so is the rest of the A-10. this just goes to show that URI and NE were not joke games for JMU.

BDKJMU
November 24th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Last year we shut NE and INSU out. It would be closer than you think. I bet NE could lose to Indiana State. Notice I didn't say "definitely"

NE started out with VA Tech, ranked around 17th IA, lost 38-0. Beat Holy Cross. Lost @ now 4th ranked NDSU only 23-10. Follwoing week JMU was up on NE 42-0 at the half, 52-0 early 4th, before winning 52-14. Following week NE played @ then 7th ranked UR and only lost 12-7. Following week NE upset DE. A couple of weeks later upset UNH in OT. Lost only 7-0 to UMass (in a monsoon). No way they would lose to Indiana State.

castoff
November 24th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Could it be JT paying us a visit?

Not wanting to stir the pot, but did all you YSU fans forget that JT was not the first choice for the Ohio State job. But, I'll bet they are glad he is there. Remember all the comments about a I-AA coach making the adjustments to the "big time?"

Paladin1aa
November 24th, 2006, 01:50 PM
castoff-- have no idea where you got that from. JT was the 1st choice all the way with the AD and his selection committee. The "hold-up" was selling the selection of a "I-AA" coach to the trustees who were thinking of a I-A coach. That sales job was the only thing holding up the process.

The rest as they say "is history".

Hoboken Dukes
November 24th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I was just informed that minutes prior to kickoff of YSU's last playoff game, Chuck Norris gave JT a roundhouse kick to the head, and his leg fell off at the knee. Helps explain 'Walker Texas Ranger.'

Conflicting reports on whether JT even blinked.

I was also informed that none other than Charles Haley will attempt a roundhouse punch to JT's dome (whilst wearing all 5 SB rings) prior to his speech to the YSU squad on Sat. night. Bookies have it at 1-2 odds his head goes into orbit.

JMU 31
YSU 20

November 24th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I was just informed that minutes prior to kickoff of YSU's last playoff game, Chuck Norris gave JT a roundhouse kick to the head, and his leg fell off at the knee. Helps explain 'Walker Texas Ranger.'

I was also informed that none other than Charles Haley will attempt a roundhouse punch to JT's dome (whilst wearing all 5 SB rings) prior to his speech to the YSU squad on Sat. night. Bookies have it at 1-2 odds his head goes into orbit...I assume you are referring to Haley's head...

BillLuc1982
November 24th, 2006, 03:13 PM

I think Western Illinois is better. Most of their losses were in the Gateway.

Hoboken Dukes
November 24th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Nah, JT's head. Haley is a JMU grad, when a JMU grad wears his record # of individual SB rings, bad things happen.

redbirdtim
November 24th, 2006, 04:21 PM
I would love to be in the position of both JT and Haley. Few men have enough rings like that (NCs or SBs) to fill a hand.

I can't wait to watch this one. My heart will tell me to cheer for the Penguins, but my head says to cheer for JMU so we have a shot at getting a home game (if we can TCB at EIU).

Whatever happens, I hope it's a great game because this is a great opportunity for our teams to shine on national tv.

Also, YSU should try and run Zetts like they did when playing us. He single-handedly picked up several first downs and we kept getting fooled by him. Just my :twocents:

Daved
November 24th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I would love to be in the position of both JT and Haley. Few men have enough rings like that (NCs or SBs) to fill a hand.

I can't wait to watch this one. My heart will tell me to cheer for the Penguins, but my head says to cheer for JMU so we have a shot at getting a home game (if we can TCB at EIU).

Whatever happens, I hope it's a great game because this is a great opportunity for our teams to shine on national tv.

Also, YSU should try and run Zetts like they did when playing us. He single-handedly picked up several first downs and we kept getting fooled by him. Just my :twocents:I agree with you about Zetts running- it was a lot better idea than throwing into double coverage like he kept doing the week before we played you-I think how he plays against JMU will be the deciding factor of this game.

castoff
November 24th, 2006, 05:26 PM
castoff-- have no idea where you got that from. JT was the 1st choice all the way with the AD and his selection committee. The "hold-up" was selling the selection of a "I-AA" coach to the trustees who were thinking of a I-A coach. That sales job was the only thing holding up the process.

The rest as they say "is history".

Thanks Paladin: Heard they were interested in some Division One coaches and JT was down on the list. There were rumors that Miami (Fla) approached JT to turn their program (disclipline) around.

However, I always said the only position JT would leave YSU for was Ohio State.

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I think Western Illinois is better. Most of their losses were in the Gateway.

Including their last one to that powerhouse Missouri State team!xlolx

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 24th, 2006, 06:50 PM

I was also informed that none other than Charles Haley will attempt a roundhouse punch to JT's dome (whilst wearing all 5 SB rings) prior to his speech to the YSU squad on Sat. night. Bookies have it at 1-2 odds his head goes into orbit.

JMU 31
YSU 20

Wow! Thats the first time I ever heard anyone bring up alumni Dukes and their NFL sucess! Good show!

th0m
November 24th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Wow. Northeastern losing to Indiana State? Are you for real?

Our win vs. NE was lopsided. They were VERY roadwary, and we were angry after two bad games. Still, that game was a key one for our team.

Neither the Gateway or A-10 is an 'easy' league, but look at ISU at 1-10, and then at NE at 5-6 with a win over UNH...

2-9 teams Hofstra and Missouri State could be a game...

Look at the A-10 standings. Other than UMass at 8-0 and JMU at 7-1, all the other teams are 5-3 or worse. They beat up on each other, BAD. I don't see this as much in the Gateway (which upset other than the WIU win over UNI occured?). I'm not making any conclusions, just pointing out some things...

BillLuc1982
November 25th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Wow it's game day already!

Some thoughts:

No whining about who you play. I know it seems that YSU and JMU got screwed in the selection, but news for all -- the playoffs were never meant to be easy. If you want to win a championship, you must beat the cream of the crop some time.

JMU Duke Dog
November 25th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Wow it's game day already!

Some thoughts:

No whining about who you play. I know it seems that YSU and JMU got screwed in the selection, but news for all -- the playoffs were never meant to be easy. If you want to win a championship, you must beat the cream of the crop some time.

I agree with you BillLuc1982! :nod: Good luck to you and the Penguins! Tonight is going to be a great game! GO DUUUKES!!!!!

PantherRob82
November 25th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Playoff time is upon us. It's 830 am here. Games need to start now. Got at least 3 free internet feeds today! :hurray:

Hoboken Dukes
November 25th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Madison, James Madison, We are the Dukes of JMUUUUUUUUUU

LET'S GO DUKES!!!!!!!!

Paladin1aa
November 25th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Go Penguins !!!!!!!!!! :nod: :nod: :nod:

Champs
November 25th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Go YSU !! :thumbsup:

FlyYtown
November 25th, 2006, 10:06 AM
http://ysusports.com/images/cutouts/mason.jpg

BDK@YSU
November 25th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Game-frickin'-day... it's about time. Kickoff in eight hours, and not a cloud in the sky. It's looking to be a GREAT day for football in Youngstown.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 25th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Best game of the day!!!!!! Winner should be in position to go deep in playoffs.....Good Luck to both teams.....

Go Dukes

JMU_Fan_2007
November 25th, 2006, 11:41 AM
GO DUKES.

FlyYtown
November 25th, 2006, 11:50 AM
YSU YSU YSU!

GO PENGUINS BABY---SHOW THE NATION WHAT THE GATEWAY IS ALL ABOUT!

IBleedPurple
November 25th, 2006, 11:51 AM
GAME DAY!!!!

I've been waiting for this day since Sunday!

I'm just sitting at the hotel waiting for the game!

Let's Go Dukes!!!:hurray:

Daved
November 26th, 2006, 01:07 AM
JMU will beat that ass, PERIOD!!!!!Yeah right-they are on their way back to Virginia ,PERIOD!!!!!

Tubby Raymond
November 26th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Mickey lost this game as much as YSU won it. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

mcveyrl
November 26th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Mickey lost this game as much as YSU won it. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

That's the truth! He got outcoached. I will say that I thought some good halftime adjustments were made...until halfway through the 4th quarter.

ISUMatt
November 26th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Best game of the day!!!!!! Winner should be in position to go deep in playoffs.....Good Luck to both teams.....

Go Dukes

Yea because Illinois State is no good right??? Hope you enjoyed your deep run in the playoffs!!

Happy Penguin
November 26th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Yea because Illinois State is no good right??? Hope you enjoyed your deep run in the playoffs!!

We know you guys are good....damn shame we drew each other so early....I'd like to see 3 Gateway teams in the final 4. :hurray: :hurray:

th0m
November 26th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah right-they are on their way back to Virginia ,PERIOD!!!!!

xsmileyclapx :eyebrow:

redbirdtim
November 26th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Trying not to be a Sunday morning coach here, but you can ask anyone I was watching the game with. I said that JMU should hit the FG and kick off to YSU. That way, YSU has to score a TD and even if they do, you possibly have time to kick a FG and win it. This is because you make YSU kick it to your speed demon who had been torching YSU all day, pooch it which gives you good field position, or kick it out of bounds which also gives you good field position. Going for it was a gutsy move, and that's what the coaches get paid to do-make those calls.

ISUMatt
November 26th, 2006, 09:44 AM
I liked going for it...JMUs kicker is like ISUs, nothing is a sure 3 points!

BDKJMU
November 27th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I would have put this post under the JMU-YSU gameday thread, but I see that its CLOSED with the last post at 5 something yesterday evening, so I'm assuming it was closed yesterday evening less than 24 hours after the end of the game, which is annoying to say the least. Heck, I stopped in Pittsburgh on the way back- didn't have a chance to check out the board until today. Why was it closed so shortly after the game when none of the other 7 gameday threads have been closed? I can see people wanting to move on to the next week's games, but a gameday string should remain up for at least 48 hrs after the game IMHO for those of us who are travelling after games, don't live on this board, and still want to comment on the gameday thread.

Got a little lost making my way to the BW3 near campus. The part of downtown that I did see was a dump. I guess I only saw the bad section of downtown and I didn't get to see the nicer parts of town?

Several hundred JMU fans took over the BW3. That was pretty cool.

YSU has an awesome stadium for I-AA. I read it seats close to 21k fans. The home side looks like its 17k or so with a 2 story press box that runs nearly the length of it. and the away side about only 4 k. In other words, the home side looks IA, while the away side loos DII. Too bad that JMU had only 1k-1500 fans. Long trip, Thanksgiving weekend, and the game being on ESPN II contributed to that.

A JMU fan buys and distributes the streamers for the games. I was told he bought 1500 for the YSU game. He's been doing this for at least 2 years now. In 04' for ex. he bought 5,000 for the NC game, and I've never heard of JMU fans being told not to throw them. Late in the 1st half the YSU police on our side started telling people not to throw the streamers. On of them said he was just going by what he was told. Someone from YSU must have gotten a hair up their as% about JMU fans throwing the harmless streamers. Several people got caught throwing them in the 2nd half when no-one else was, and one actually got kicked out of the game. I was telling people to only throw them if we scored a TD or got a turnover. If there are hundreds of fans throwing them they cant pinpoint who them them and kick out hundreds of fans. After that last JMU TD 50-100 JMU fans let loose with the streamers, and the cops didn't do anything.

As far as the game, 1st of all, congrats to YSU.

-Mason didn't even look all conference, much less All American. He finished with 72 yards rushing. 23 of those came on those last 4 carries. Granted, he wasn't 100% due to injury and JMU was loading up against the run. Not in a million years if I had been told JMU would rush for 249 and hold YSU to 94 would I have thought JMU would have lost.xidiotx

-Zetts and that #9 was the best QB-receiver combo I have seen going to 20 of 38 JMU games the last 3 years. And I was at the UNH game with Santos & Ball. Those 2 guys killed us. They looked like All Americans. If someone had said before the game that YSU would pass for over 300 I would have said they need to be committed.xidiotx

Four things will stick out in my memory as to why JMU lost this game:
-Was the perfect storm so to speak for YSU against JMU's d. You had a good o-line, a mobile QB who could throw accurately on the run, a great gameplan that utilized him on shot gun rollouts, against a JMU d that led the nation in sacks that wasn't able to sack him once (although they knocked him down numerous times), and while JMU did sometimes get heat on him, it wasn't often enough, and when they didn't, Zetts just shredded a depleted JMU secondary (one 2nd string corner out for year after VMI game, another out for this game, and one of the starting corners had been listed as doubtful but played) that was left in alot of man coverage due to the fact that JMU was loaded up to stop the run and was blitzing alot.

-Rascati, who I can't remember fumbling this year, had that very costly 2nd quarter fumble at the YSU 25 after JMU started at their own 22. Neither defense was able to stop the other teams offense in the 1st half. JMU only got 3 possessions. One was a TD, one a FG, and the other the fumble (the other TD was the 99 yd kick return). YSU got the ball 4 times- 2 TDs and 2 FGs.

-2nd quarter. YSU has 3rd & 7 at the JMU 30. The refs blew a delay of game whistle late, a second or 2 after the play started, and about a second or 2 before a blitzing JMU defender, who had already begun to let up, hit Zetts. Personal foul called on JMU. I was sitting on the visitors side about the 21 yard line and saw it clearly. A HORRIBLE call.:mad: On the JMU-YSU gameday thread several non partisans from other schools said similar. Instead a 3-12 at the JMU 35, its 1st & 10 on JMU's 20, and YSU goes on to score a TD. Without that call, they probably don't.

-4th quarter, just under 5 min, JMU up 31-28, 4th and 1 for JMU at the YSU 12. I saw on the JMU-YSU gameday thread, on the I-AA/FCS recap thread, and on this one that several people said dumb call. Matthews absolutly made the right call. Rascatti got the necessary distance for the 1st down, but received a HORRIBLE spot.:mad: People I've talked to who watched the game said the same (that he made the 1st down mark by a couple of feet- it wasn't even close) as did several non partisans on the JMU-YSU gameday thread. If the spot was correct, its 1st & 10 JMU at the YSU 11, and there's no doubt in my mind the way JMU was moving the ball (249 yards rusing) they score, and would be hosting ILSU on Sat.

There were several others calls like the 1st quarter pass interference on YSU's FG drive that a couple of non-partisans on the gameday thread said was a bad call, and the hold on one of Mason's last 4 carries right before the game winning TD that Matthews was going bannannas about, but you're not going to get that call at that stage of the game unless its totally blatant or if its right near the ballcarrier. Neither of those 2 calls/no calls were necessarily game changers, and I'm sure there were some bad calls/no calls against YSU, but the only 2 without a doubt game changing horrendous calls that I saw, the personal foul and 4th & 1 spot, went against JMU. I know this sounds like sour grapes. It is.

I had picked JMU to win by 4, when instead YSU did. I heard the YSU radio guys say after the game that ILSU isn't as good as JMU. If YSU doesn't show up with a ho hum attitude on Sat since they already beat ILSU by a couple of TDs that apparently wasn't as close as the score, then they'll be going to Boone in less than 2 weeks. ASU is probably slightly more talented overall than JMU, and at home I'd pick them in a close one over YSU. I hope I'm wrong again. I'll be rooting for YSU. I'd like to be able to say that JMU lost by 4 to the eventual national champs partly because of 2 horrendous calls. JMU played their as% off and have nothing to be ashamed of. I'm proud of them, and sad, too, knowing that this was probably JMU's best team ever, and next's years team won't be as good unless they get several impact DI transfers, and it will be a struggle just to make the playoffs (thats all for another time and place). Again, congrats to YSU.

BillLuc1982
November 27th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Did you try any of the Great Lakes microbrews like the Christmas Ale and Dortmunder Gold? Those, along with Guinness, are my favorites.

blur2005
November 27th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Rascatti got the necessary distance for the 1st down, but received a HORRIBLE spot.:mad: People I've talked to who watched the game said the same (that he made the 1st down mark by a couple of feet- it wasn't even close) as did several non partisans on the JMU-YSU gameday thread. If the spot was correct, its 1st & 10 JMU at the YSU 11, and there's no doubt in my mind the way JMU was moving the ball (249 yards rusing) they score, and would be hosting ILSU on Sat.
You know, I was pretty sure from the television replay that Rascati had made it and was marked short. He had the ball around his chest area and the referee marked it like he was holding at his waist.

BDKJMU
November 27th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Forgot to mention. Attendance was listed at 11,627. I swear there had to be way more people than that. That was the loudest I think I've heard at a JMU game. Part of that has to do with the stadium design- seemed pretty close to the field, and the home side seemed like a steep 17k or so capacity which really amplified the sound on the field, but you have to give credit to the YSU fans too. I would like to see JMU either close out the corners on the one end, or get rid of whats left of the unused track, lower the field, and extend the stands a little closer to the field. I think it could get as loud as it was at YSU if JMU did that.

GoGuins
November 27th, 2006, 05:11 PM
my replies in red

Got a little lost making my way to the BW3 near campus. The part of downtown that I did see was a dump. I guess I only saw the bad section of downtown and I didn't get to see the nicer parts of town?

Ytown isn't the most beautiful city and you're right it has it's dumpy parts, but it's a blue collar town that was a boomin and lively place years ago until the steel industry collapsed in the 70's. They just built an arena downtown and have built several new buildings and it is coming around

That BW3 is small, did they set you up outside too?

YSU has an awesome stadium for I-AA. I read it seats close to 21k fans. The home side looks like its 17k or so with a 2 story press box that runs nearly the length of it. and the away side about only 4 k. In other words, the home side looks IA, while the away side loos DII.

Thanks,YSU's stadium is top notch. We're lucky to have nice facilities at YSU. You're right, the large side holds 17k+ while the smaller side, built in 1997, holds 3k+. Eventhough the small side is smaller, it's still a lot better than many I-AA stadiums (and some I-A ie Kent State) which have smaller sides that look like high school bleachers. YSU's is concrete and blends with the larger side. If YSU ever decides to expand that side, it will be easy to do.

A JMU fan buys and distributes the streamers for the games. I was told he bought 1500 for the YSU game. He's been doing this for at least 2 years now. In 04' for ex. he bought 5,000 for the NC game, and I've never heard of JMU fans being told not to throw them. Late in the 1st half the YSU police on our side started telling people not to throw the streamers. On of them said he was just going by what he was told. Someone from YSU must have gotten a hair up their as% about JMU fans throwing the harmless streamers. Several people got caught throwing them in the 2nd half when no-one else was, and one actually got kicked out of the game. I was telling people to only throw them if we scored a TD or got a turnover. If there are hundreds of fans throwing them they cant pinpoint who them them and kick out hundreds of fans. After that last JMU TD 50-100 JMU fans let loose with the streamers, and the cops didn't do anything.

[COLOR="Red"]I sat about 10 seats from the JMU fans on the smaller side. The streamers were annoying to us, but it's all in fun and you were just celebrating and supporting your team. The streamers were harmless and the YSU police should have let it go. But like you said, some YSU fans were hit by them and went to the police. They did make an announcement before the game that objects weren't to be thrown in the stands, I guess that's why the police enforced it.

As far as the game, 1st of all, congrats to YSU.

-Mason didn't even look all conference, much less All American. He finished with 72 yards rushing. 23 of those came on those last 4 carries. Granted, he wasn't 100% due to injury and JMU was loading up against the run. Not in a million years if I had been told JMU would rush for 249 and hold YSU to 94 would I have thought JMU would have lost.xidiotx

JMU did a nice job on Mason. They were playing 8-9 in the box with your safety 7-10 yards off the ball. JMU's front seven were very quick and athletic, I see why you lead the nation in sacks and why your run D gives up so little. Mason was still a little banged up but he was ready to go and that's no excuse

-Zetts and that #9 was the best QB-receiver combo I have seen going to 20 of 38 JMU games the last 3 years. And I was at the UNH game with Santos & Ball. Those 2 guys killed us. They looked like All Americans. If someone had said before the game that YSU would pass for over 300 I would have said they need to be committed.xidiotx

Zetts had a career day, not since 1997 had a YSU QB threw for over 300 yds. Goes to show you how run oriented YSU is now and through the years. YSU O-coord had a great gameplan to roll Zetts and keep him away from the penetration and blitzes. JMU played a soft zone and it killed them. Matthews said afterwards it was the worst performance from a JMU secondary he'd seen.

Four things will stick out in my memory as to why JMU lost this game:
-Was the perfect storm so to speak for YSU against JMU's d. You had a good o-line, a mobile QB who could throw accurately on the run, a great gameplan that utilized him on shot gun rollouts, against a JMU d that led the nation in sacks that wasn't able to sack him once (although they knocked him down numerous times), and while JMU did sometimes get heat on him, it wasn't often enough, and when they didn't, Zetts just shredded a depleted JMU secondary (one 2nd string corner out for year after VMI game, another out for this came, and one of the starting corners had been listed as doubtful) that was left in alot of man coverage due to the fact that JMU was loaded up to stop the run and was blitzing alot.

-Rascati, who I can't remember fumbling this year, had that very costly 2nd quarter fumble. Neither defense was able to stop the other teams offense in the 1st half. JMU only got 3 possessions. One was a TD, one a FG, and the other the fumble (the other TD was the 99 yd kick return). YSU got the ball 4 times- 2 TDs and 2 FGs.

Rascati was a stud, he's like another RB back there. Very impressed with his play

-2nd quarter. YSU has 3rd & 7 at the JMU 30. The refs blew a delay of game whistle late, a 2nd or 2 after the play started, and about a second or 2 before a blitzing JMU defender, who had already begun to let up, hit Zetts. Personal foul called on JMU. I was sitting on the visitors side about the 21 yard line and saw it clearly. A HORRIBLE call.:mad: On the JMU-YSU gameday thread several non partisans from other schools said similar. Instead a 3-12 at the JMU 35, its 1st & 10 on JMU's 20, and YSU goes on to score a TD. Without that call, they probably don't.

I agree, an iffy call. But 9 times out of 10 they're going to call it. I'm guessing the JMU player didn't hear the whistle. Watching the replay on TV it wasn't as bad as watching it live

-4th quarter, just under 5 min, JMU up 31-28, 4th and 1 for JMU at the YSU 12. I saw on the JMU-YSU gameday thread that and on this one that several people said dumb call. Matthews absolutly made the right call. Rascatti got the necessary distance for the 1st down, but received a HORRIBLE spot.:mad: People I've talked to who watched the game said the same (that he made the 1st down mark by a couple of feet- it wasn't even close) as did several non partisans on the JMU-YSU gameday thread. If the spot was correct, its 1st & 10 JMU at the YSU 11, and there's no doubt in my mind the way JMU was moving the ball (249 yards rusing) they score, and would be hosting ILSU on Sat.

Not much to say on this one, I watched the replay on TV and it's hard to tell.

There were several others calls like the 1st quarter pass interference on YSU's FG drive that a couple of non-partisans on the gameday thread said was a bad call, and the hold on one of Mason's last 4 carries right before the game winning TD that Matthews was going bannannas about, but you're not going to get that call at that stage of the game unless its totally blatant or if its right near the ballcarrier. Neither of those 2 calls/no calls were necessarily game changers, and I'm sure there were some bad calls/no calls against YSU, but the only 2 without a doubt game changing horrendous calls that I saw, the personal foul and 4th & 1 spot, went against JMU.

1)Diasagree on this one, that IMO was an obvious interference on that 1st qtr play. The YSU player was in position to make the catch and the JMU defender hit his arm and body before the ball got there. PLus he wasn't looking for the ball & was looking at the defender, a big no-no.
2)I did see a hold on the TV replay on Mason's run that Matthews yelled about. YSU got away with that one.
3)What about the punch thrown by #65 from JMU on that JMU delay of game on YSU's #51 (Koval)! Yes, Koval shoved him for knocking over a YSU player after the whistle, but I thought if you swing and punch someone it's an automatic ejection. JMU got away with one there

I had picked JMU to win by 4, when instead YSU did. I heard the YSU radio guys say after the game that ILSU isn't as good as JMU. If YSU doesn't show up with a ho hum attitude on Sat since they already beat ILSU by a couple of TDs that apparently wasn't as close as the score, then they'll be going to Boone in less than 2 weeks. ASU is probably slightly more talented overall than JMU, and at home I'd pick them in a close one over YSU. I hope I'm wrong again. I'll be rooting for YSU. I'd like to be able to say that JMU lost by 4 to the eventual national champs partly because of 2 horrendous calls. Again, congrats to YSU.

It was a great game. When the score was 31-20 I looked at the JMU fans and the looks on their faces & some of their comments, they thought they had the game in the bag. I yelled over to them to wait until the Ice Castle magic happens and it did. YSU fans have seen many times YSU down at home in the 4th qtr and YSU ends up winning, both in the regualr season and especially in the playoffs.
JMU didn't lose because of the officials, they lost because they didn't expect YSU to be able to throw the ball and that's poor planning on your coaching staff. YSU coaches knew JMU would give our run game trouble, so they prepared for that and the players executed. Thanks for the props, hope you had a good time, & good luck next season

nm

Git-R-Done

GoGuins
November 27th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Forgot to mention. Attendance was listed at 11,627. I swear there had to be way more people than that. That was the loudest I think I've heard at a JMU game. Part of that has to do with the stadium design- seemed pretty close to the field, and the home side seemed like a steep 17k or so capacity which really amplified the sound on the field, but you have to give credit to the YSU fans to. I would like to see JMU either close out the corners on the one end, or get rid of whats left of the unused track, lower the field, and extend the stands a little closer to the field. I think it could get as loud as it was at YSU if JMU did that.

You're right, there was 15-16k in the stands. I've seen YSU crowds smaller affect games where the opposing teams had trouble with snaps. It's a definite advantage for us.

th0m
November 27th, 2006, 05:41 PM
I hope the powers that be at JMU were watching the game as well, and took some notes. I think we are in the process of figuring out how to expand, but it'll surely take a looooooong time.

HLecter
November 27th, 2006, 06:15 PM
that WAS the nicest part of townxlolx

GoGuins
November 27th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Just saw Matthews commets at his presser after the game and he was pretty classless. Said JMU had better athletes, YSU has average defense, blamed the officials, JMU's line was better, blah blah blah, then he got up and left abruptly because he didn't want to answer anymore questions

Maybe he should blame himself for not preparing his team and not making adjustments to stop YSU's "vaunted" passing game.

What is it with these A10 coaches? First Maine's Cosgrove said YSU was nothing and if they played again they would win (YSU beat Maine by 20) and also told his buddy MM not to worry about beating YSU, then MM makes these remarks after the game?

You would never see Heacock making excuses for a loss

HLecter
November 27th, 2006, 06:41 PM
BDKJMU:

1. was standing up behind your student section talking to this guy and I asked him what he thought about the stadium.....Told me there were 5 or 6 nicer in the A-10,,,,Now my older kid played for Nova and I've been to some of those joints from the old patriot league--he is kidding me right??

2. The reason Mason didn't look all conf. to you was not so much him as your D--and not so much your D line as we were getting a push there but your 2 linebackers are studs #2 and #23--he broke tackles at the line like he has done all year but we couldn't do anything with those 2 lb's --- we get them blocked every now and then and he breaks off a couple big ones.

3. Officiating: The delay of game/personal foul had to be called, the kid had time to stop,,,,others did. "THE SPOT" watched TV replay about 8 times and it looked to me like he got turned sideways,,so maybe that had something to do with it,,in any case and in retrospect,,,how about spread with a fb, shotgun, fb leads rascati anyway he wants to go--your line got a great push all night until they had to block 10 guys. The "hold" on Mason's run--who held? possibly the FB on the kick-out block but only one holding call all night and that was against YSU. Mason on a blitzer.
They were consistent with not calling holding all night.

4. Injuries or not, your db's are not all that good and neither was the cover scheme,,,,You guys made Peterson look like Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne and Zetts look like Peyton. I was particularly NOT impressed with #21--for someone who is a two-time all-american (I was told that),,,well he didn't play that way.

5. Bottom line why you lost--48 sacks coming in,,,,,,48 sacks going out,,,
your DC got outcoached by our OC forget MM and JH. And our OL was superb.

Thanks for you honest and classy remarks.

Peems
November 27th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Just saw Matthews commets at his presser after the game and he was pretty classless. Said JMU had better athletes, YSU has average defense, blamed the officials, JMU's line was better, blah blah blah, then he got up and left abruptly because he didn't want to answer anymore questions

Maybe he should blame himself for not preparing his team and not making adjustments to stop YSU's "vaunted" passing game.

What is it with these A10 coaches? First Maine's Cosgrove said YSU was nothing and if they played again they would win (YSU beat Maine by 20) and also told his buddy MM not to worry about beating YSU, then MM makes these remarks after the game?

link to anywhere where we can read these comments or anything?

HLecter
November 27th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Peems

there is a radio link on the YSU site to the press conference, it is posted in a thread--actually the title of the thread.

GoGuins
November 27th, 2006, 07:40 PM
link to anywhere where we can read these comments or anything?

Here's audio of the presser, I may have video tomorrow
http://www.ysu.edu/sports/broadcast/jmupress.mp3

Maine's Cosgrove, there was more said, I'll try to find. It was even brought up before halftime of Sat's game, ESPN's sideline lady asked YSU's coach before he went in before halftime what he thought about Cosgrove's comments on YSU

That reaction heated up, however, when Maine coach Jack Cosgrove -- an A-10 friend of Matthews and a coach who had lost to YSU (34-14) early in the season -- was quoted as saying that the three A-10 playoff teams, league champion and No. 3 seed Massachusetts, James Madison and New Hampshire would all beat the Penguins.
http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/112606aaj.html

th0m
November 27th, 2006, 07:45 PM
There are definitely NOT 5-6 A-10 stadiums better than Stambaugh. That kid was delusional. Your stadium is a top CS venue.

BDKJMU
November 27th, 2006, 08:30 PM

I've listended twice to that short press conference. Matthews said JMU couldn't stop the YSU passing game and you had to give credit to their QB. He was asked by a reporter what was the key to stopping Mason on the ground since no one else (I'm assuming with the exception of Penn St) had been able to do that all year. He said JMU had better players up front and YSU couldn't block them IN THE CONTEXT OF THE RUN GAME. I thought that was true. Likely All American at D-end, two 2nd team all A-10 d-tackles, 2 1st team all A-10 linebackers, one a likely 1st team All American and possible Buchanan winner.

Now as far as the passing game goes, that was a great gameplan by YSU to have Zetts doing alot of rollouts from the shotgun, alot of times away from Winston. If he had just stayed in the pocket the whole game JMU would have gotten alot of sacks. Matthews went on to praise Zetts again.

He was asked how far Youngstown could go. he said they had a great chance. He said they had an avg defense (true). He said if they don't turn the ball over they will win. He was asked about the dropped passes, and said yes, JMU dropped a lot of passes. Then they went on to ask Holloman and Jordan questions.

Then someone asked about the health of JMU's secondary. Now either he says the injuries in the secondary didn't matter (not true) or they hurt JMU alot (he's making excuses). He didn't want to go there, so he ended the press conference. I don't agree with how he handled that. He could have said something along the lines of we're not going to make excuses, we just couldn't cover, esp man to man, had a hard time getting to Zetts on the rollouts, couldn't get to him quickly enough on those quick out patterns, etc, whatever, and then ended the press conference a little more gracefully. The only part I thought Matthews was wrong on was how he ended the press conference.

I didn't know how to get the individual press conferences to post, otherwise I would have posted them. I was just going to post this link:
http://www.ysu.edu/sports/football/index.htm

I wish Cosgrove would have kept his mouth shut. Matthews can sometimes come across as less than diplomatic shall we say. Cosgrove and Matthews are buddies, and Cosgrove seems to be the same way.

BDKJMU
November 27th, 2006, 08:56 PM
BDKJMU:

1. was standing up behind your student section talking to this guy and I asked him what he thought about the stadium.....Told me there were 5 or 6 nicer in the A-10,,,,Now my older kid played for Nova and I've been to some of those joints from the old patriot league--he is kidding me right??

2. The reason Mason didn't look all conf. to you was not so much him as your D--and not so much your D line as we were getting a push there but your 2 linebackers are studs #2 and #23--he broke tackles at the line like he has done all year but we couldn't do anything with those 2 lb's --- we get them blocked every now and then and he breaks off a couple big ones.

3. Officiating: The delay of game/personal foul had to be called, the kid had time to stop,,,,others did. "THE SPOT" watched TV replay about 8 times and it looked to me like he got turned sideways,,so maybe that had something to do with it,,in any case and in retrospect,,,how about spread with a fb, shotgun, fb leads rascati anyway he wants to go--your line got a great push all night until they had to block 10 guys. The "hold" on Mason's run--who held? possibly the FB on the kick-out block but only one holding call all night and that was against YSU. Mason on a blitzer.
They were consistent with not calling holding all night.

4. Injuries or not, your db's are not all that good and neither was the cover scheme,,,,You guys made Peterson look like Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne and Zetts look like Peyton. I was particularly NOT impressed with #21--for someone who is a two-time all-american (I was told that),,,well he didn't play that way.

5. Bottom line why you lost--48 sacks coming in,,,,,,48 sacks going out,,,
your DC got outcoached by our OC forget MM and JH. And our OL was superb.

Thanks for you honest and classy remarks.

1.The guy who said there were 5-6 stadiums nicer- no way. The only one slightly bigger would be Delaware, which lists a 22k capacity, great tradition. Now Towson, which is only a few years old, some might consider "nicer" with its new facilities, but it seats only 11+k. In my mind nicer is the whole package, capacity, noise, looks, facilities (press box, bathrooms, concessions, nearby parking). The only A-10 stadium in the same ballpark is Delaware.

2. As I remember it those less than competent refs blew the whistle late, after the snap about a second before the JMU player (can't remember who it was), who had started to let up, hit Zetts. You can't expect someone to stop on a dime. The other players had time to stop because they didn't have a clear path to Letts like the JMU player did. I would like to see a replay on that with sound (Would like to get hold of a tape of the game).

3. Agreed 2 linebackers Jordan (23) and Dottin Carter (2) are studs. Both 1st team all A-10, Jordan lock for 1st team All American and in consideration for Buchanon. Were missing Dottin-Carter in the 1 pt Nova loss. Sucks for JMU both are seniors.

4. Agreed that the dbs we had out on the field, esp the corners, weren't good in pass coverage. Cormer # 19 Scotty McGee who returned the kickoff 99 yards must have used up too much energy doing that because he got beat numerous times all night long. I didn't recall Lezotte (21) getting beat, at least not badly, and he was his usual solid self in run support, finishing 3rd on the team in the game with 9 tackles, behind Jordan and Carter. And most teams usually account for Lezotte with a blocker, sometimes 2. I really wasn't watching if that was the case in this game- was mostly watching around the line of scrimmage and the ball. He'll be back next yr.

5. Your OC had a great gameplan. Outcoached our DC. Agreed about the sacks- again, were JMU was unable to come by, some due to your O-line, more to the rollouts by Zetts and the quick outs.

igo4uni
November 27th, 2006, 09:01 PM

I did not see this, but if what you say is true, Mathews is indeed without class.

BDKJMU
November 27th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Here's the article on the game from the Harrisonburg, VA paper:

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=7498&CHID=3

BDKJMU
November 27th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Game-frickin'-day... it's about time. Kickoff in eight hours, and not a cloud in the sky. It's looking to be a GREAT day for football in Youngstown.

Dude, I signed up in Oct, and you did this month. Is it just a coincidence you have the same username initials/similar username as me or are you copying me for some reason?:rolleyes:

Daved
November 27th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Forgot to mention. Attendance was listed at 11,627. I swear there had to be way more people than that. That was the loudest I think I've heard at a JMU game. Part of that has to do with the stadium design- seemed pretty close to the field, and the home side seemed like a steep 17k or so capacity which really amplified the sound on the field, but you have to give credit to the YSU fans too. I would like to see JMU either close out the corners on the one end, or get rid of whats left of the unused track, lower the field, and extend the stands a little closer to the field. I think it could get as loud as it was at YSU if JMU did that.I sat in the middle of the JMU section and was in complete awe at how loud they were and how relentless they were at cheering ,jeering,singing etc. during the entire game.If they make the changes you suggest the noise would be deafining --not a good feeling for opposing teams and fans.

stuperman17
November 27th, 2006, 10:43 PM
The JMU crowd did seem very very loud for being a smaller portion of the fan base. But going back to BDKJMU, I think the way the stadium was designed allows for noise to be echoed. Much like a bowl. YSU's stadium will get louder whenever they decide to expand the smaller side of the stadium. That should be happening within the next 5 years. That'll add about 5 million more seats.

BDK@YSU
November 27th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Dude, I signed up in Oct, and you did this month. Is it just a coincidence you have the same username initials/similar username as me or are you copying me for some reason?:rolleyes:

Dude, do I know you? I'm even known for saying the word "dude," dude. ARE YOU ME? Also, it would appear that you are the one copying me.

<--- Join Date: Nov 2005

I didn't know what to say when I first saw your name, and I still don't know what to do now that I've been called out, except...

...to the smack board for a battle of the BDKs...

:smiley_wi

BDKJMU
November 27th, 2006, 11:54 PM
BDKYSU- Oops, was a little quick on the trigger. Started trolling on here for a few weeks mid Oct, posting for a month. Saw you post for the 1st time late last week- maybe you posted on here prior since mid Oct and I just never saw one of your posts. Saw your total posts of 142, was just thinking you'd joined Nov this yr (since some others who joined since Nov of last yr have over 1k posts), quickly posted a reply without bothering to look at the 05' xidiotx. Now I swear I wasn't coping you- the BDK contains 2 of my 3 initials. Just weired that we have similar screen names.

BDKJMU
November 28th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I sat in the middle of the JMU section and was in complete awe at how loud they were and how relentless they were at cheering ,jeering,singing etc. during the entire game.If they make the changes you suggest the noise would be deafining --not a good feeling for opposing teams and fans.

What were you doing sitting in the middle of the JMU fans? :)

November 28th, 2006, 12:54 AM
The JMU crowd did seem very very loud...Truly, that is how it was in Chatty 2004. All week all we saw were Griz fans until Friday. Then JMU fans came storming in... with streamers and loud vocal cords. I remember circling the sidelines and remarking to other folks how loud the JMU fans were.

GrizFoo
November 28th, 2006, 01:56 AM
What a game. I finally, just now got a chance to watch it. Both teams put on a nice show. Both crowds are great, 1:29 left in the game on ESPNU. The JMU streamers bring back some bad memories..but they are kind of cool seeing flying all over the place.

This was definately one of those classic "I-AA" at it's finest games. I'm not sure how long it will take me to get used to the "CS" distinction, but I like the way it is being announced on ESPNU. We may play in a subdivision, but we play for "The Division I National Championship".

Anyway, thanks ESPNU for replaying a great game. Now if I can only stay up another 3 hrs or so I'll watch the one that is on after this one.

BTW, Congrats to YSU, and great game to both teams.

November 28th, 2006, 02:07 AM
now recording the CCU/ASU game... thanks for the reminder

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 28th, 2006, 03:07 AM
What a dirty classless play by the JMU kid who hit Zetts late. Zetts was tougher though had a hell of a game. If you don't call that penalty then you are a horrible ref. Dirty un-clean hit no wonder why JMU fans say it was clean

Unfortunately I missed that hit... I was too busy cheering to the guy next to me about the fact that the play clock expired... but I did see Eugene Holloman take a nice shot on a dead play in the previous series.

Good luck to YSU, I hope y'all win the upper part of the bracket. As for the whole thing... I've got to be an A10 homer still to the end.

GrizFoo
November 28th, 2006, 03:34 AM
That hit was late, but the announcers seemed to agree that the kid didn't realize the play was over. Either way, it was a penalty. Didn't seem dirty, classless, eat your young, evil bad though. But who knows what the kid was thinking.

Dukie95
November 28th, 2006, 07:08 AM
I'm not concerned with that delay of game/late hit...

Fact is, we had the ball in the 4th quarter with an 11 point lead and 80 yards to work with to run out the clock and put the game on ice.

YSU held us to the only 3 and out of the game. YSU came up HUGE on D in that series and completely turned the game around. If we eat up clock by running the length of the field and maybe tack on an extra FG or TD at that point, the game is over and the 4th and inches is never an issue.

All the credit in the world goes to the YSU defense for holding on that drive...that defensive stand won YSU the game.

Johnny5
November 28th, 2006, 07:26 AM
LMAO the game is over by 3 days yet its legend lives on........:deadhorse:

th0m
November 28th, 2006, 09:02 AM
No, this game proves YSU advances to the next round.

We weren't conference champs...you guys were.

mcveyrl
November 28th, 2006, 09:12 AM
LMAO the game is over by 3 days yet its legend lives on........:deadhorse:

Agreed. I hope YSU's not taking the same approach!! (I'm sure they're not. Please don't respond and perpetuate the thread further. This is as bad as the JMU-Delaware smack thread). This is my last post on this thread (unless someone insults my mother, at which point I would have to respond).