PDA

View Full Version : Davidson to host "college of faith" again

catamount man
February 27th, 2015, 09:59 PM
https://www.facebook.com/collegeoffaithcharlottesaints 2015 schedule.

NDSUKurt
February 28th, 2015, 09:16 AM
This is odd. They have the game listed on 8-29. That week there is only 1 FCS game, the ESPN televised game NDSU at Montana. They (NDSU & Montana) had to get a waiver from the NCAA to play the game 1 week earlier.

Something just doesn't seem right with the College of Faith @ Davidson date.

Milktruck74
February 28th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Since they aren't an NCAA program, isn't it just a dressed out practice with a group of non-students? Does it officially count as a game?

DFW HOYA
February 28th, 2015, 10:02 AM
This is odd. They have the game listed on 8-29. That week there is only 1 FCS game, the ESPN televised game NDSU at Montana. They (NDSU & Montana) had to get a waiver from the NCAA to play the game 1 week earlier.

Something just doesn't seem right with the College of Faith @ Davidson date.

The Davidson message board says they're not playing CoF that week, but are opening with The Citadel on 9/5.

And what's the school titled "Charlottesville" on 9/26? Another Faith franchise popping up?

Libertine
March 2nd, 2015, 07:10 AM
Charlottesville could mean the club team from Charlottesville, VA that's made up of students from UVa and the local community college. Columbus State and Williamson Tech are both club teams as well.

Twentysix
March 4th, 2015, 02:39 PM
...maybe slightly stricter scheduling rules should be created...

walliver
March 4th, 2015, 03:11 PM
...maybe slightly stricter scheduling rules should be created...

I doubt the NCAA gets involved for anti-trust reasons.

downbythebeach
March 5th, 2015, 06:47 AM
A friend of mine is a coordinator for CoF in North Carolina. I think it is a pretty cool idea.....It is a "semi pro" team masquerading as a college team. Hell...we could make one on AGS. Call it Givens university (lol). But either way it is not a scam as everyone knows what they are getting into, it's not like they are getting federal money or anything and Davidson is probably only giving them a couple thousand in exchange for a much needed victory.

OL FU
March 5th, 2015, 06:49 AM
It's the Mildcats. Who caresxdrunkyx

OhioHen
March 5th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Hell...we could make one on AGS. Call it Givens university (lol).

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?167612-College-of-AGS-Fighting-Drunkies-quot-The-College-quot

Model Citizen
March 5th, 2015, 01:57 PM
...Davidson is probably only giving them a couple thousand in exchange for a much needed victory.

That's a joke, right? Maybe 10-20 grand.

Libertine
March 6th, 2015, 01:35 PM
I doubt the NCAA gets involved for anti-trust reasons.

I doubt the NCAA gets involved because there's no SEC-level money in it.

clenz
March 6th, 2015, 04:16 PM
A friend of mine is a coordinator for CoF in North Carolina. I think it is a pretty cool idea.....It is a "semi pro" team masquerading as a college team. Hell...we could make one on AGS. Call it Givens university (lol). But either way it is not a scam as everyone knows what they are getting into, it's not like they are getting federal money or anything and Davidson is probably only giving them a couple thousand in exchange for a much needed victory.
The very definition of a scam.

The NCAA should absolutely step in on this bull****.

Easy fix...

NCAA sanctioned programs MUST PLAY ONLY OTHER NCAA sacntioned programs. D1 FBS programs may play FBS and FCS teams. FCS teams may play FBS and D2 programs. D2 programs can play FBS and D3 programs. D3 programs can play D3 and D2 prorgrams.

Grizalltheway
March 6th, 2015, 05:33 PM
The very definition of a scam.

The NCAA should absolutely step in on this bull****.

Easy fix...

NCAA sanctioned programs MUST PLAY ONLY OTHER NCAA sacntioned programs. D1 FBS programs may play FBS and FCS teams. FCS teams may play FBS and D2 programs. D2 programs can play FBS and D3 programs. D3 programs can play D3 and D2 prorgrams.

Well I know EWU, for one, played NAIA UM-Western last season...

hebmskebm
March 6th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Personal Opinion: Rank the order of sub-D1 schools you'd want your school to face by preference. My list would be:

1. D2
2. NAIA
3. D3
4. College of Faith types/Club Teams

clenz
March 6th, 2015, 08:52 PM
Well I know EWU, for one, played NAIA UM-Western last season...
I'm against NAIA games as well.

dgtw
March 7th, 2015, 07:20 AM
I'm against NAIA games as well.

Why is that? They are at least legitimate colleges, which seems to be the big issue with COF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catamount man
March 7th, 2015, 07:33 AM
I am really surprised teams get to count victories over these CofF/ Uof F type "schools". D2 Brevard College went 1-10 last year. The only win? College of faith, 66-0.

clenz
March 7th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Why is that? They are at least legitimate colleges, which seems to be the big issue with COF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See my post 3 above yours

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

downbythebeach
March 8th, 2015, 12:23 AM
nvm

Hood
March 13th, 2015, 04:56 AM
I'm actually surprised the NCAA hasn't looked more into COF.

clenz
March 13th, 2015, 06:49 AM
I'm actually surprised the NCAA hasn't looked more into COF.
There's nothing the NCAA can do. CoF isn't using an NCAA name, logo, rules, etc...

kdinva
March 13th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Add St. Francis to this "list";

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=808852

Sept. 5, Georgetown
Sept. 12, at Towson
Sept. 19, at Youngstown State
Sept. 26, University of Faith
Oct. 3, at East Tennessee State
Oct. 10, Wagner*
Oct. 24, at Bryant*
Oct. 31, Sacred Heart* (Homecoming)
Nov. 7, at Central Connecticut*
Nov. 14, Robert Morris*
Nov. 21, at Duquesne*

PAllen
March 13th, 2015, 03:41 PM
So instead of travelling to Liberty, they're host a semi-pro team.

DFW HOYA
March 13th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Sept. 5, Georgetown

Nothing against the Frankies, but is this the best Georgetown can schedule to open a season?

[Rest of PL] "Yes."[/rest of PL]

But seriously folks, how do you build fan interest in DC with an opener in Loretto, PA?

PAllen
March 13th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Nothing against the Frankies, but is this the best Georgetown can schedule to open a season?

[Rest of PL] "Yes."[/rest of PL]

But seriously folks, how do you build fan interest in DC with an opener in Loretto, PA?

Well you could play the Mason club team. They're more of a D-I team than CoF.

aceinthehole
March 13th, 2015, 08:42 PM
So instead of travelling to Liberty, they're host a semi-pro team.

They need a HOME game.

They are already playing at YSU, at Towson, at ETSU. Is Lehigh willing to agree to a home/home with the Red Flash?

downbythebeach
March 13th, 2015, 10:26 PM
I know when I was a student at Mason they were playing D2 teams...they actually scheduled one of the SWAC teams and then the game feel through

Model Citizen
April 27th, 2015, 08:22 PM
Sweet Briar is closing its doors, creating an opening on Davidson's 2016 schedule.

bonarae
April 28th, 2015, 06:45 AM
Sweet Briar is closing its doors, creating an opening on Davidson's 2016 schedule.

xrolleyesx It's a women-exclusive college. Is Davidson planning to play ETSU anytime soon?

Go Green
April 30th, 2015, 06:02 AM

Are they any worse than Davidson or (early season) Howard?

DFW HOYA
April 30th, 2015, 07:34 AM
Are they any worse than Davidson or (early season) Howard?

Yes. St. Francis has been dipping into the sub-Div. I market for a few years now, with games against Lincoln, Clarion, and last year's 80-0 win over "Virginia University of Lynchburg", a school with an undergraduate enrollment of 85.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_University_of_Lynchburg

Libertine
April 30th, 2015, 10:51 AM
"Virginia University of Lynchburg", a school with an undergraduate enrollment of 85.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_University_of_Lynchburg

Those numbers are about ten years out of date. VU-L is an HBC that is well over a century old but which most people, even natives of Lynchburg, don't even know exists. They started facing some financial pressure several years ago when enrollment dipped to the number you cited so they started a football program at the D2 level in order to boost student numbers. It worked to that end and the school now has around 450 undergrad students. They're still under a great deal of financial pressure and, at some point, their football program moved out of D2 to something called the USCAA. I watched the VUL game at Gardner-Webb last year and, bless their hearts, the Dragons were...trying really hard. It's terrible football but they're pretty much singlehandedly keeping their school open.

walliver
April 30th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Those numbers are about ten years out of date. VU-L is an HBC that is well over a century old but which most people, even natives of Lynchburg, don't even know exists. They started facing some financial pressure several years ago when enrollment dipped to the number you cited so they started a football program at the D2 level in order to boost student numbers. It worked to that end and the school now has around 450 undergrad students. They're still under a great deal of financial pressure and, at some point, their football program moved out of D2 to something called the USCAA. I watched the VUL game at Gardner-Webb last year and, bless their hearts, the Dragons were...trying really hard. It's terrible football but they're pretty much singlehandedly keeping their school open.

The USCAA is actually larger than I thought it would be: http://theuscaa.com/members/index
It includes such noted institutions as Pennsylvania State University Beaver.

VU-L isn't in the list, though.

Libertine
May 1st, 2015, 08:44 AM
Apparently, VU-L didn't pay their USCAA membership dues after 2013. I have no idea what they are now.

Virginia University of Lynchburg’s request to rejoin the United States Collegiate Athletic Association was denied...VUL had been a member of the association until 2013, when, according to
school officials, it failed to pay membership fees. The USCAA will not explain the reason for the school’s dismissal.

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/vul-s-request-to-rejoin-uscaa-denied/article_04e61278-f1db-11e3-ac03-0017a43b2370.html

Lehigh Football Nation
May 1st, 2015, 09:16 AM
Apparently, VU-L didn't pay their USCAA membership dues after 2013. I have no idea what they are now.

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/vul-s-request-to-rejoin-uscaa-denied/article_04e61278-f1db-11e3-ac03-0017a43b2370.html

They do have a 2015 football schedule with seven games on it.

http://www.vul.edu/index.php/athletics/football/football-schedule

Those seven games include one FCS school (Morgan State), several sub-D-I HBCUs, and "Elite Performance Sports Academy".

Incidentally, how sad is it that a school losses quasi-accreditation because it can't pay a fee?

Pinnum
May 1st, 2015, 10:55 AM
They do have a 2015 football schedule with seven games on it.

http://www.vul.edu/index.php/athletics/football/football-schedule

Those seven games include one FCS school (Morgan State), several sub-D-I HBCUs, and "Elite Performance Sports Academy".

Incidentally, how sad is it that a school losses quasi-accreditation because it can't pay a fee?

The USCAA membership is more about scheduling, officials, and championships. There really is no reason for them to be a part of it if they aren't going to benefit from championships or scheduling. The same is true about the NCAA, NJCAA, and NAIA. Any school can schedule another school, which is why we have College of Faith games. I doubt they got any benefit out of being a USCAA member since they only sponsor two sports.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 1st, 2015, 10:59 AM
Understood Pinnum, but still, the USCAA wasn't too proud to not accept this school as a member:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_National_University

I don't disapprove of the mission at all, but c'mon. Florida National University?

Pinnum
May 1st, 2015, 11:08 AM
Understood Pinnum, but still, the USCAA wasn't too proud to not accept this school as a member:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_National_University

I don't disapprove of the mission at all, but c'mon. Florida National University?

I don't know what you're trying to share. I skimmed over the wiki page but am ignorant to the school and didn't see anything that caught my eye. Could you elaborate?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 1st, 2015, 11:15 AM
I don't know what you're trying to share. I skimmed over the wiki page but am ignorant to the school and didn't see anything that caught my eye. Could you elaborate?

Kinda like I decided to found an institution of higher learning, naming it "Harverd" and slapping together a football and men's basketball program.

Pinnum
May 1st, 2015, 11:36 AM
Kinda like I decided to found an institution of higher learning, naming it "Harverd" and slapping together a football and men's basketball program.

I am not sure about that...

I mean, they have 5,000 students enrolled and they are hold a level III accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Association which is the same accreditation held by Bethune-Cookman and Savannah State. Florida National University is nearly 30 years old which isn't too different than Florida International which is about 50 years old.

This wasn't a school created just to play sports like College of Faith; it is a real school.

clenz
May 1st, 2015, 11:41 AM
I am not sure about that...

I mean, they have 5,000 students enrolled and they are hold a level III accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Association which is the same accreditation held by Bethune-Cookman and Savannah State. Florida National University is nearly 30 years old which isn't too different than Florida International which is about 50 years old.

This wasn't a school created just to play sports like College of Faith; it is a real school.
Not exactly bragging points to use when talking high quality standards