PDA

View Full Version : Vernon Adams transferring?

Pages : 1 [2]

BisonFan02
February 11th, 2015, 10:27 PM
Oh no's….Beau said some disparaging things about the Ducks...xnodx

http://oregon.247sports.com/Bolt/EWU-head-coach-asks-why-Oregon-didnt-develop-a-QB-post-Mariota-35578939

"I think there should always be two or three guys loaded up and ready to go." Yup! Agree....lock and load Baldwin. You should be fine! :D

dudeitsaid
February 11th, 2015, 11:42 PM
Baldwin should have said..."We would like to thank Vernon for his hard work and for helping us achieve success on the football field. While, of course, I believe Vernon would be best served pursuing his graduate degree with EWU, we will always be proud to say that VA received his undergraduate college degree from Eastern Washington University."

How freakin' difficult is that to say......?

Your future in politics is bright.

Personally, I'm glad he didn't respond with the same old fill-in-the-blank, empty, politically correct BS response. As a fan, I appreciate seeing he's as aggravated about this as much of the fanbase.

dewey
February 12th, 2015, 05:57 AM

Personally, I'm glad he didn't respond with the same old fill-in-the-blank, empty, politically correct BS response. As a fan, I appreciate seeing he's as aggravated about this as much of the fanbase.

^^^^Agreed! I would want my coach to be pissed off as well. However in my humble opinion he should also stop taking questions on the matter pretty darn soon and just talk about his current team.

Dewey

Sammy94
February 12th, 2015, 08:00 AM
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/11/vernon-adams-former-coach-doesnt-want-him-working-out-at-ewu-before-oregon-transfer/

Adams winning the starting job and leading the Ducks to another College Football Playoff appearance probably gives Eastern Washington more exposure than anything the Eagles can garner on their own. xlolxxlolxxlolx

Catsfan90
February 12th, 2015, 08:58 AM
I don't really see the issue. Just like any other situation, its a competitive world. If VA feels as though Oregon is the fit for him he cannot let anyone hold him back. If we lived out lives letting everyone in the world make our decisions that wed never advance or succeed. He gave EWU four years and they should be grateful. He is now going to better his life by pursuing a graduate degree. He has decided that Oregon is the best fit for thay.

Grizalltheway
February 12th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Oh no's….Beau said some disparaging things about the Ducks...xnodx

http://oregon.247sports.com/Bolt/EWU-head-coach-asks-why-Oregon-didnt-develop-a-QB-post-Mariota-35578939

Why hasn't he directed any of his ire towards VA himself? It's not like Oregon came and kidnapped him in the middle of the night...

veinup
February 12th, 2015, 09:19 AM
are eagles fans as aggravated as dudeitsaid says, are are they more understanding? somebody with their finger on the pulse of cheney WA let me know. is it like "**** VA" over there now? so much SALT from baldwin!! he's gonna have to increase his fluid intake.

"For the next four months, he can't prep down there with them and he certainly can't be in our weight room or throwing with our guys ... and I talked to him about that," Baldwin said. "I go, 'What's your plan for the next four months? How are you going to prepare for your senior year? I love you to death, but one, you're moving on, and two, you're moving on to who we're playing in Week 1.'"

acting like he gives a **** about VAs senior year lol

kalm
February 12th, 2015, 09:41 AM
are eagles fans as aggravated as dudeitsaid says, are are they more understanding? somebody with their finger on the pulse of cheney WA let me know. is it like "**** VA" over there now? so much SALT from baldwin!! he's gonna have to increase his fluid intake.

"For the next four months, he can't prep down there with them and he certainly can't be in our weight room or throwing with our guys ... and I talked to him about that," Baldwin said. "I go, 'What's your plan for the next four months? How are you going to prepare for your senior year? I love you to death, but one, you're moving on, and two, you're moving on to who we're playing in Week 1.'"

acting like he gives a **** about VAs senior year lol

Disappointment, just like any fan base in this situation would be. The vast majority of posters on the Redzone wish VA the best, and more than a few don't question his decision in the least.

Regarding your last statement, why do you think Baldwin isn't genuinely concerned for VA's senior year?

Grizalltheway
February 12th, 2015, 09:42 AM
I'm sure Cheney has a 24 Hour Fitness.

kalm
February 12th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Why hasn't he directed any of his ire towards VA himself? It's not like Oregon came and kidnapped him in the middle of the night...

1) It's pretty unusual for college coaches to speak poorly of future opposing athletes.

2) He understands why a 23 year old kid would jump at the opportunity whether it's in his best interest or not.

3) Future alumni support. Not smart to burn bridges with a potential NFL talent.

veinup
February 12th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Regarding your last statement, why do you think Baldwin isn't genuinely concerned for VA's senior year?

I think he'd be concerned about it if it was to be spent at EWU. The "What's your plan for the next four months, how are you going to prepare for your senior year (at oregon)?" part of the interview screams fake-concern/sympathy to me. His #1 guy just left, he's pissed, but I doubt he cares about how VA will fare at oregon. wouldn't even be surprised if he's secretly hoping that VA ultimately regrets his decision to leave.

MR. CHICKEN
February 12th, 2015, 10:09 AM
20586.......C'MON........BIG O......CAIN'T STOCK DUH ROSTER....WHIFF QB TALENT.......WHILST...DANGLIN' UH CLOSET FULL O' NIKE......BUT...OURAH DARLIN' FORMER COACH @.....YOU-DEE.....WHOM WOODN'T KNOW UH BAZOOKA......FROM UH PEA SHOOTER......IS HUNG ON DUH CROSS....FO' X-FERIN' DUH POSITION.....OL' VERN...IS WELL WHIDD-IN LEGAL STATUS.....BAH DOIN' WHAT HE'S DOIN'....BUT HE CUDDAH STAYED UH IGGLE...... ...DON'T HAVE UH PROB WHIFF IT MAH-SELF......LORD KNOWS BLUEHENS HAVE BAGGED UH FEW I-A'S........BUT COMIN' DOWN ON BALDWIN....FO' MAKIN' UH WRONG TURN....AT DUH CROSS-ROADS......IS BULL-DOOKIE....(MAH WAY UH SAYIN'.....F@^#)...PLENTY UH COACH'S SHOW TRUE FEELIN'S....WHIFF SITUATIONS.........CHICKEN-POOP...(MAH WAY UH SAYIN'...SH$*)...U OF PITT.....WENT SPITEFUL ON DELAWARE WHEN FLACCO.....BROUGHT HIS CANNON...TA NEW-ARK....WOODN'T RELEASE HIS SKOLLY ET AL.......xrolleyesx....BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
February 12th, 2015, 10:21 AM
You may have me with the good looks, but the $$ you're facing an uphill battle...

20587..........WE COOD USE UH P-BOX/ESCALATOR....IN NEW-ARK......xnodx....AWK!

tomq04
February 12th, 2015, 10:28 AM
VA Succeeding and making it in the NFL would be one of the best things to happen to EWU in terms of potential future cash donations I would suspect. Why burn the bridge? Baldwin's job is to help his players succeed.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 12th, 2015, 10:46 AM
VA Succeeding and making it in the NFL would be one of the best things to happen to EWU in terms of potential future cash donations I would suspect. Why burn the bridge? Baldwin's job is to help his players succeed.

This. Also, I can't think it would hurt that ESPN/Fox could be leading every Oregon game with the story of Vernon Adams, transfer from Eastern Washington.

MR. CHICKEN
February 12th, 2015, 10:50 AM
This. Also, I can't think it would hurt that ESPN/Fox could be leading every Oregon game with the story of Vernon Adams, transfer from Eastern Washington.

20588........U OF DELAWARE....DRIED UP.....AFTERAH FLACCO/DEVLIN.....LEFT....NO SURE THIN'...JES' SAYIN'.....xdontknowx...BRAWK!

ursus arctos horribilis
February 12th, 2015, 10:58 AM

I agree with ya. I like seeing some no BS personality from him. I think everything he's responded with so far is all good in my book. Like that there is some fire in his belly and he makes a very good point. and will most likely be Oregon's next HC...well maybe not but he is doing some work in the heads of the Duck faithful in the manner of "why weren't we ready?".

CappinHard
February 12th, 2015, 11:37 AM
This. ---> "3 reasons EWU should stop griping about QB Vernon Adams' transfer to Oregon" http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/2/12/8025995/vernon-adams-transfer-oregon-eastern-washington-football

dudeitsaid
February 12th, 2015, 11:39 AM
I think he'd be concerned about it if it was to be spent at EWU. The "What's your plan for the next four months, how are you going to prepare for your senior year (at oregon)?" part of the interview screams fake-concern/sympathy to me. His #1 guy just left, he's pissed, but I doubt he cares about how VA will fare at oregon. wouldn't even be surprised if he's secretly hoping that VA ultimately regrets his decision to leave.

I don't think it's fake at all. I think Baldwin does genuinely care for his players. I think he, and most of the fanbase understand why VA made his decision, but believe it's a huge risk. I'm not personally pissed at VA. As much as I hate that he is leaving, I hope he plays exceptionally well, except against us. And I fricken hate that we have to face him.

Not every coach looks at their players as chattel. They genuinely like and care about their players. Not liking the decision, and not caring about how he fares in the future are two different things.

Grizalltheway
I agree with ya. I like seeing some no BS personality from him. I think everything he's responded with so far is all good in my book. Like that there is some fire in his belly and he makes a very good point. and will most likely be Oregon's next HC...well maybe not but he is doing some work in the heads of the Duck faithful in the manner of "why weren't we ready?".

If Helfrich wins even one national title there in the next few years, he'll be there for the long haul. Relatively young for a HC and a native son type to boot.

Lehigh Football Nation
"Come to EWU, win playoff games, beat Pac-12 teams, get your degree and replace a Heisman winner," is an awesome recruiting pitch.

xthumbsupx

dudeitsaid
February 12th, 2015, 11:45 AM
This. ---> "3 reasons EWU should stop griping about QB Vernon Adams' transfer to Oregon" http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/2/12/8025995/vernon-adams-transfer-oregon-eastern-washington-football

By the way, "Come to EWU, win playoff games, beat Pac-12 teams, get your degree and replace a Heisman winner," is an awesome recruiting pitch.

There's a lot of good in the article. Even though the situation with VA and Russell Wilson are quite different. But this line is a bit of a conflict of interest. In essence, it's like saying, "Hey, you know you got passed over by the top level schools, but we see your potential, and will do everything we can to get you your dream of playing for them before your college eligibility is used up."

MR. CHICKEN
February 12th, 2015, 11:47 AM
20589...IFIN' YA DON'T LIKE SOMETHIN'....IN 'MERICA.......YA HAVE RIGHTS...TA BRING IT UP........IT'S UH DIVORCE.....SOME ARE AMICABLE....OTHERAHS.....NOT SO....HE'S NOT DUH FIRST COACH....TA COMPLAIN......AN' IT IS ALLOWABLE....AWK!

HE MAY NOT BE RIGHT....BUT CERTAINLY NOT WRONG.......BLACK/WHITE/GREY...AN' COURTS.....TA DECIDE GREY....AWK!

dudeitsaid
February 12th, 2015, 11:48 AM
"I think there should always be two or three guys loaded up and ready to go." Yup! Agree....lock and load Baldwin. You should be fine! :D

In all honesty, I think we will be fine. We have some very good QB's on the roster. And we will have a heck of a team with many impact players this coming season. As aggravating as it is to lose VA, I promise, EWU is not in panic mode.

veinup
February 12th, 2015, 12:40 PM
you're not in a state of .... RED ALERT?

thank you, thank you

ursus arctos horribilis
February 12th, 2015, 02:42 PM
you're not in a state of .... RED ALERT?

thank you, thank you

You're welcome.

PantherRob82
February 12th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Great, Rob Ash is whining, too:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12314026/rob-ash-montana-state-bobcats-says-fcs-programs-cannot-farm-system-fbs

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 12th, 2015, 04:08 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12314026/rob-ash-montana-state-bobcats-says-fcs-programs-cannot-farm-system-fbs

Coach Ash is the former President of the Coaches Association. I've had the opportunity to speak with him many times and he comes across as a rather conservative guy.

This is getting talked about again on Around the Horn...

PantherRob82
February 12th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Coach Ash is the former President of the Coaches Association. I've had the opportunity to speak with him many times and he comes across as a rather conservative guy.

This is getting talked about again on Around the Horn...

Was just going to post about Around the Horn. I'm sure they'll cover all sides of it.

Sounds like they all agree he should be allowing him to use the training facilities.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 12th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Now PTI is talking about it....

PantherRob82
February 12th, 2015, 05:05 PM
Free publicity!

GetEmGriz
February 12th, 2015, 05:31 PM
This is getting embarrassing... xnonono2x

Ash and Baldwin need to stop.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 12th, 2015, 05:37 PM
Free publicity!

Not all publicity is good publicity. This is not good publicity.

PantherRob82
February 12th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Not all publicity is good publicity. This is not good publicity.

Completely agree. I should have used an emoticon.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 12th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Completely agree. I should have used an emoticon.

Hopefully they can get more Big Fluffy coaches to go on record on this particular subject.

kalm
February 12th, 2015, 06:21 PM
1). I don't think Beau has commented since the day the news broke.

2). Not understanding why he shouldn't be allowed to use football facilities etc is just willfully stupid and/or uninformed.

Silenoz
February 12th, 2015, 06:26 PM
This is getting embarrassing... xnonono2x

Ash and Baldwin need to stop.
No, let em keep going xlolx

Professor Chaos
February 12th, 2015, 06:52 PM
So seeing as how Ash and Baldwin don't think Adams should be allowed to transfer to Oregon because of the "commitment" they made to him does that mean that neither of them will ever willfully leave for another coaching position before their respective contracts are up because of the "commitment" their schools showed to them? College football is a business and it's not just coaches that are the mercenaries.

clenz
February 12th, 2015, 07:25 PM

2). Not understanding why he shouldn't be allowed to use football facilities etc is just willfully stupid and/or uninformed.
Do other EWU alumni get access to the facilities?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

kalm
February 12th, 2015, 08:03 PM
No

ursus arctos horribilis
February 12th, 2015, 08:31 PM
No

Well we were on opposing sides at the beginning of all this but I could not agree with you more on your stance at this point.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 12th, 2015, 08:31 PM
Where do graduated players train for their pro days?

http://www.goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2011-12/Releases/12fbMarch14ProDay

kalm
February 12th, 2015, 08:57 PM
Where do graduated players train for their pro days?

http://www.goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2011-12/Releases/12fbMarch14ProDay

You really don't get this do you?

NoDak 4 Ever
February 12th, 2015, 08:59 PM
You really don't get this do you?

Of course I get this. I'm just pointing out that it's not as black and white as you think. There is a butthurt factor that you are choosing to ignore.

dudeitsaid
February 12th, 2015, 09:05 PM

Is this really whining? To me, it's a coach trying to protect their turf. MSU has a solid QB who could likely be on a needy FBS teams radar in the future.

For me, I'd be a lot less frustrated if it wasn't our first opponent of the season next year. I'd still be disappointed, but them taking what might've been our best competitive advantage away, and actually adding it to their team is just weird. That's the part that pisses me off the most. Is it a conspiracy? Probably not. But it certainly is a win, win for UO, no matter how this turns out.

kalm
February 12th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Of course I get this. I'm just pointing out that it's not as black and white as you think. There is a butthurt factor that you are choosing to ignore.

No, you clearly don't. Why would we let our next opponent's QB use our facilities, trainers, or practice with our players? Should we invite him to spring ball too? Maybe see the new offense?

You are as dumb as the national media on this.

dewey
February 12th, 2015, 09:52 PM
No, you clearly don't. Why would we let our next opponent's QB use our facilities, trainers, or practice with our players? Should we invite him to spring ball too? Maybe see the new offense?

You are as dumb as the national media on this.

I agree with EWU's stance on not letting VA use the facilities if they are football or sports facilities only such as the trainers and coaches. If those facilities are open to undergraduate students then he should be able to use them.

Doesn't seem too difficult to me...VA made his decision now EWU must do what is best for their program.

Dewey

Lehigh Football Nation
February 12th, 2015, 09:59 PM
If you know you can't prevent it from happening, why take this stance?

kalm
February 12th, 2015, 10:03 PM
I agree with EWU's stance on not letting VA use the facilities if they are football or sports facilities only such as the trainers and coaches. If those facilities are open to undergraduate students then he should be able to use them.

Doesn't seem too difficult to me...VA made his decision now EWU must do what is best for their program.

Dewey

Nailed it Dewey.

Catsfan90
February 12th, 2015, 10:04 PM

It seems kinda childish honestly.......you upset me, so your not invited to my birthday party! Does EWU have a gym separate from the football gym? He is still a student enrolled at EWU, he should have access to all facilities afforded to students.

kalm
February 12th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Well we were on opposing sides at the beginning of all this but I could not agree with you more on your stance at this point.

I try ;)

- - - Updated - - -

It seems kinda childish honestly.......you upset me, so your not invited to my birthday party! Does EWU have a gym separate from the football gym? He is still a student enrolled at EWU, he should have access to all facilities afforded to students.

He is. Try to keep up.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 12th, 2015, 11:05 PM
Is this really whining? To me, it's a coach trying to protect their turf. MSU has a solid QB who could likely be on a needy FBS teams radar in the future.

For me, I'd be a lot less frustrated if it wasn't our first opponent of the season next year. I'd still be disappointed, but them taking what might've been our best competitive advantage away, and actually adding it to their team is just weird. That's the part that pisses me off the most. Is it a conspiracy? Probably not. But it certainly is a win, win for UO, no matter how this turns out.

Apparently you and kalm think that Oregon has something to worry about with you. They are going to beat you by 40 no matter who the QB is. They would beat us by 40. That's just what they do.

kalm
February 12th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Apparently you and kalm think that Oregon has something to worry about with you. They are going to beat you by 40 no matter who the QB is. They would beat us by 40. That's just what they do.

Let it go...you're flailing now...

ursus arctos horribilis
February 12th, 2015, 11:32 PM

Well I absolutely don't have any of that and it sure seems right to me. Pro days have zero in comparison to this and one thing I do not see being considered so far is that there is a possibility that having him in there with others could lead to hard feelings and cause a lot more trouble for everyone involved. This is the right move and I don't give a rat's ass if everyone wants to feel sorry for VA cuz he isn't having his old school bend to his will.

If moving on needs to be done, gotta be done by everyone.

Nickels
February 13th, 2015, 07:51 AM
So seeing as how Ash and Baldwin don't think Adams should be allowed to transfer to Oregon because of the "commitment" they made to him does that mean that neither of them will ever willfully leave for another coaching position before their respective contracts are up because of the "commitment" their schools showed to them? College football is a business and it's not just coaches that are the mercenaries.
This^

Baldwin is just jealous that Oregon wanted VA and not him.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 13th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Well I absolutely don't have any of that and it sure seems right to me. Pro days have zero in comparison to this and one thing I do not see being considered so far is that there is a possibility that having him in there with others could lead to hard feelings and cause a lot more trouble for everyone involved. This is the right move and I don't give a rat's ass if everyone wants to feel sorry for VA cuz he isn't having his old school bend to his will.

If moving on needs to be done, gotta be done by everyone.

No, they need to stew about this a lot more. This is the best offseason development in a long time.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/2837510/michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif

Call my interest payback for every Brock Jensen on his knees picture that was posted a few years back. '

tomq04
February 13th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Last bit here, VA is still allowed to use the general purpose weight room as a student, just not the separate football facilities. He has said as such that he will be doing 2-a-days by himself, and finding folks to throw to in the mean time to keep his arm loose.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 13th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Last bit here, VA is still allowed to use the general purpose weight room as a student, just not the separate football facilities. He has said as such that he will be doing 2-a-days by himself, and finding folks to throw to in the mean time to keep his arm loose.

No, that doesn't sound vindictive at all...

kalm
February 13th, 2015, 02:24 PM
No, that doesn't sound vindictive at all...

What's vindictive about it?

clenz
February 13th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Nothing.

I was trying to get there with my question of if other FB alumni can use the facilities but they apparently can't either. So I dropped it

MR. CHICKEN
February 13th, 2015, 03:01 PM

20597.....MAY AS WELL....SKIP STONES...ON DUH SPOKANE RIVER.......DAN......CHUCK DUH ROCK.......TA GEOLOGY STUDENTS...WHIFF.....14.45......WHEELS.....xnodx.. ..AWK!

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2015, 03:30 PM

As clenz said...nothing. Trying to make something out of nothing is all that seems to be going on here.

VA should be able to make his own decisions as far as what's best for him inside the already established guidelines.

As such, EWU shoula ALSO BE ABLE TO MAKE DECISIONS UNDER THIS SAME CRITERIA. This pussy BS of trying to coddle or make an athlete look a victim by any f'n media out there is pure bull**** so honestly the pussy reactions over this really makes them all look stupid.

You make your bed you f'n lay in it...that is all there is to it folks.

NDSUSR
February 13th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Adams knew he would not have access to the team training facilities prior to commiting to O.
He had no issues with it.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Adams knew he would not have access to the team training facilities prior to commiting to O.
He had no issues with it.

zactly, it's funny seeing people sit around piss backward about it though. Something in society these days says we've just act like a bunch of drama queens over any perceived slight no matter how slight it may be.

tomq04
February 13th, 2015, 04:45 PM
zactly, it's funny seeing people sit around piss backward about it though. Something in society these days says we've just act like a bunch of drama queens over any perceived slight no matter how slight it may be.

WAS THAT AIMED AT ME!?!?!

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2015, 05:18 PM
WAS THAT AIMED AT ME!?!?!

What? I'm defending EWU against some whining about VA's treatment and I was replying to NDSUSR to even further remove it from anything to do with you so not sure but you may have a persecution...oh I get it now.

dudeitsaid
February 13th, 2015, 11:08 PM
What? I'm defending EWU against some whining about VA's treatment and I was replying to NDSUSR to even further remove it from anything to do with you so not sure but you may have a persecution...oh I get it now.

I think he was talking about the piss...:D

tomq04
February 17th, 2015, 03:46 PM
none of what you wrote applied to me, just causing drama...won't happen next time. Until next time.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 17th, 2015, 03:55 PM
none of what you wrote applied to me, just causing drama...won't happen next time. Until next time.

Yeah, that's why I said "I get it now" in there.

PantherRob82
February 17th, 2015, 09:34 PM
Will this thead continue to be bumped every 4 days? :)

Lehigh'98
February 18th, 2015, 06:05 AM
Who wants to talk some Patriot League football??

Sammy94
February 18th, 2015, 07:54 AM
Patriot League football??

What is that?

NoDak 4 Ever
February 18th, 2015, 08:27 AM
What is that?

It's like real football, only smaller

Lehigh'98
February 18th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Our entire recruiting class was under 4'10"

Bison56
February 18th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Who wants to talk some Patriot League football??

Do you mean soccer?

Lehigh Football Nation
February 18th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Do you mean lacrosse?

FIFY

WTFCollegefootballfan
February 18th, 2015, 08:28 PM
Coaches starting to complain about the graduate transfer rule....................http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_02_18_2015.htm

rokamortis
February 19th, 2015, 06:25 AM
Coaches starting to complain about the graduate transfer rule....................http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_02_18_2015.htm

If the coaches don't like this transfer rule, perhaps they would also like to kill the transfer exception for players going from FBS to FCS ... yeah right.

Professor Chaos
February 19th, 2015, 08:03 AM
If the coaches don't like this transfer rule, perhaps they would also like to kill the transfer exception for players going from FBS to FCS ... yeah right.

Or perhaps they should put coaches (who seem to be the most whiny about this) under the same scrutiny when they "transfer" schools. At least the student athletes aren't under contract/scholarship for the next X amount of years when they bolt.

Daytripper
February 19th, 2015, 08:20 AM
Or perhaps they should put coaches (who seem to be the most whiny about this) under the same scrutiny when they "transfer" schools. At least the student athletes aren't under contract/scholarship for the next X amount of years when they bolt.

http://media.giphy.com/media/HyDAt79JnlY4M/giphy.gif

dudeitsaid
February 20th, 2015, 10:56 PM

You're right...it's apples to apples. A few years ago, when Stanford's best player, Andrew Luck, the most critical piece of their offensive system transferred to UC Davis, it really benefited the Aggies, while hampering Stanford's ability to maintain the same offensive production. Oh wait...that never happened. The FBS to FCS transfer rule doesn't involve a teams best player transferring down a level. Not to get into details that shouldn't be that hard to figure out, it's not the same thing.

rokamortis
February 20th, 2015, 11:20 PM
You're right...it's apples to apples. A few years ago, when Stanford's best player, Andrew Luck, the most critical piece of their offensive system transferred to UC Davis, it really benefited the Aggies, while hampering Stanford's ability to maintain the same offensive production. Oh wait...that never happened. The FBS to FCS transfer rule doesn't involve a teams best player transferring down a level. Not to get into details that shouldn't be that hard to figure out, it's not the same thing.

Who said it was the same exact thing? It is a transfer exception so it is the same in that regard. FBS transfers help FCS teams. Many FCS teams accept FBS transfers and some seem to build their teams around them. FBS to FCS happens much more often than FCS graduating in 4 years and red shirting a year to FBS.

Adams did his time at EWU and has an opportunity presented to very few people. Stop your whining.

dudeitsaid
February 20th, 2015, 11:46 PM
Who said it was the same exact thing? It is a transfer exception so it is the same in that regard. FBS transfers help FCS teams. Many FCS teams accept FBS transfers and some seem to build their teams around them. FBS to FCS happens much more often than FCS graduating in 4 years and red shirting a year to FBS.

Adams did his time at EWU and has an opportunity presented to very few people. Stop your whining.

Maybe you should re-read what you said. You didn't say they are "the same exact thing" in those words, but you might as well have.

I'm not whining. I understand the logic in all of the sides of this drama. I'm disappointed my team is negatively effected by it, but I don't blame Adams for transferring. But I also understand why coaches who disagree with this rule disagree with it. And not having an issue with the FBS to FCS transfer rule does not make their frustration unreasonable. Those transfer rules are based on entirely different circumstances. One is about playing the sport, the other is about pursuing academics not offered at your current institution. Of course, that isn't how that rule is being applied in many cases. How about the FBS to FCS transfer rule. Is that one being followed in the spirit it was intended?

rokamortis
February 21st, 2015, 04:22 AM
Maybe you should re-read what you said. You didn't say they are "the same exact thing" in those words, but you might as well have.
I know what I said and I know what I meant - but i'll copy here for you: "If the coaches don't like this transfer rule, perhaps they would also like to kill the transfer exception for players going from FBS to FCS ... yeah right." See, I acknowledge that they are different rules while both being transfer exceptions.

I'm not whining. I understand the logic in all of the sides of this drama. I'm disappointed my team is negatively effected by it, but I don't blame Adams for transferring. But I also understand why coaches who disagree with this rule disagree with it. And not having an issue with the FBS to FCS transfer rule does not make their frustration unreasonable. Those transfer rules are based on entirely different circumstances. One is about playing the sport, the other is about pursuing academics not offered at your current institution. Of course, that isn't how that rule is being applied in many cases. How about the FBS to FCS transfer rule. Is that one being followed in the spirit it was intended?

Both exceptions give the players options to continue playing and both involve academics. I think players tend to get the short end of the stick in regard to their obligations and ability to transfer, so if a player wants to use either exception to play at an institution that will value them and may improve their future options, whether for athletics or academics, then more power to the student.

In this case, Adams was part of the program for 4 years and got his degree. I believe his obligation to the university was fulfilled.

For every FCS to FBS graduation exception there are dozens, possibly hundreds, of FBS to FCS transers. The FCS coaches are happy to take these guys for the most part. While they aren't the same exact situation, they are similar in that they are an exception which allows the student to make a move that they feel is in their best interest.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 21st, 2015, 01:46 PM

http://media.giphy.com/media/HyDAt79JnlY4M/giphy.gif

That is one excellent string of posts. xlolx

Fully agree with you guys btw.

PAllen
February 21st, 2015, 02:11 PM

Actually, it has happened, well sort of. In 2003 (may be off by a year or two), Duke's top defensive player transferred to Fordham to play a graduate year with his brother who was on the team. The Patriot League said no, so he moved on to Delaware and helped them win a National Championship. I'm not sure if he transferred under the FBS to FCS rule, or the grad school rule. Either way, although rare, some top talent does filter down from time to time.

Cleets
February 23rd, 2015, 03:17 AM
Playing the Pac12 (Pac10) has been relatively bad move for Eastern Washington...(except for the money)
They've played the PAC12 pretty tough several years in a row and gotten the attention of more than a few of the coaches

Sammy94
February 23rd, 2015, 09:58 AM
Oregon targeted Vernon Adams over Miller......

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/23/oregon-targeted-vernon-adams-jr-over-braxton-miller/

clawman
February 24th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Huge difference between drop down and pop ups.
FBS programs are glad to get rid of a kid that does not and will not play so they can free up a scholarship. FCS programs do not want to lose the best players on their team whom they have spent a lot of time and money to develop only to have them leave in arguably their best year, as a senior.

Old Gregg
June 21st, 2015, 03:54 PM
Because this is an old thread and I don't want to read all 34 pages...

Does Vernon Adams start at Oregon? As a Big fan of FCS football! I hate to see this kid go, I know Beau does too. He told me himself via DM on Twitter. Does the FCS community hope for his success at the FBS level? Or do they not care anymore?

centennial
June 21st, 2015, 04:12 PM

Does Vernon Adams start at Oregon? As a Big fan of FCS football! I hate to see this kid go, I know Beau does too. He told me himself via DM on Twitter. Does the FCS community hope for his success at the FBS level? Or do they not care anymore?
He will compete for the #1 job against Jeff Lockie who was Mariota's backup for the last two seasons.
Shame really because if he cannot start he won't get drafted. At EWU he was a late round pickup..

344Johnson
June 21st, 2015, 05:24 PM
He will compete for the #1 job against Jeff Lockie who was Mariota's backup for the last two seasons.
Shame really because if he cannot start he won't get drafted. At EWU he was a late round pickup..

If he is good enough to play in the NFL, he will get his chance. Heck, Matt Cassel didn't start a game in college and he has had it pretty well.

I'm hoping he does well because everyone hates him.

veinup
June 21st, 2015, 06:47 PM

I certainly hope for VA's success at Oregon.

Nickels
June 21st, 2015, 08:52 PM
If he is good enough to play in the NFL, he will get his chance. Heck, Matt Cassel didn't start a game in college and he has had it pretty well.

I'm hoping he does well because everyone hates him.
Don't hate him. Just think he is a douchebag and overrated.

McNeese75
June 23rd, 2015, 12:52 PM
Don't hate him. Just think he is a douchebag and overrated.

xlolx you split the hell out of that hair