PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky

AshevilleApp2
December 28th, 2014, 12:28 AM
After beating Louisville today, they are undefeated going into SEC play. Do they become the first team since Indiana in '75-'76 to go undefeated?

Does it matter since the NCAA will likely make them forfeit the wins sometime in the future? ;)

bonarae
December 28th, 2014, 03:31 AM
Forfeit? Why? Similar to the Rose saga while he was at Memphis?

AshevilleApp2
December 28th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Forfeit? Why? Similar to the Rose saga while he was at Memphis?

Nothing I can document. Just speculation while considering both Kentucky's and Calipari's past actions.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 28th, 2014, 10:44 AM
There's no doubt that Kentucky is REALLY good this year. However, I don't think they're at the level of the 2012 team or the 1996 squad. As good as their defense is, the Wildcat offense is very average. I think someone will catch them on an especially cold shooting night and beat them. If they played in the Big 10 or ACC there's no way they make it through the regular season with less than 3 losses imo. The SEC is truly awful this year. Florida is slowly turning it around but they're not an Elite 8/Final 4 type team this season.

Laker
December 28th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Kentucky will lose sometime this year. I hope it is in the NCAAs rather than the regular season, that might serve as a wakeup call.

It would be ironic if Wichita State would do it.............

Otherwise, a Kentucky-Duke final would be pretty nauseating.

bonarae
January 11th, 2015, 01:46 PM
To keep this thread alive...

Since the last update, they have survived two nailbiters in OT.

AshevilleApp2
March 8th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Some team needs to get busy real soon.

Laker
March 8th, 2015, 10:46 AM
Georgia had a chance but couldn't hit free throws.

There is always hope.............

ysubigred
March 16th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Kentucky will lose sometime this year. I hope it is in the NCAAs rather than the regular season, that might serve as a wakeup call.

It would be ironic if Wichita State would do it.............

Otherwise, a Kentucky-Duke final would be pretty nauseating.

Man you nailed this! KY vs WS is possible. I don't think KY will get past MD and ND will take care of WS xcoffeex

clenz
March 16th, 2015, 11:56 AM
At some point Kentucky falling behind and storming back is going to bite them in the ass...

Same thing is going to happen to Iowa State as well.

FargoBison
March 16th, 2015, 12:12 PM
The only team I see with a chance at beating them is Notre Dame before the Final Four and to do that the Irish would need to rain down threes. Maryland and KU might have a slight chance but I see a pretty clear path to the Final Four. If Wisconsin makes it there things could get interesting.

Gil Dobie
March 17th, 2015, 03:00 PM
I could see Arizona beating them in the National Semi-finals.

dbackjon
March 17th, 2015, 05:01 PM
Wisconsin will take them down

ysubigred
March 18th, 2015, 07:40 AM
I have tickets to the games Thursday and Saturday games at the Yum Center (louisville). Cincy or Purdue can be a good game for UK. Hampton will be blown out by 30ish xcoffeex I'm selling the Thursday tickets Section 111 row 18 xdrunkyx

OhioHen
March 20th, 2015, 07:10 AM
At some point Kentucky falling behind and storming back is going to bite them in the ass...

Same thing is going to happen to Iowa State as well.

Nailed it on Iowa State!

clenz
March 20th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Nailed it on Iowa State!
Odd thing is Iowa State's largest deficit was 3...in the final minute

BEAR
March 20th, 2015, 09:12 AM
The pigs of the Ozarks nearly got bit by Wofford. I was sooooo hoping to see that happen. Great year Terriers!

clenz
March 20th, 2015, 09:34 AM

My twitter timeline from the last 10 minutes of that game....

For those that don't use twitter my first post was the one with a red mark. Read up and then go to the other one and read up again.

813Jag
March 20th, 2015, 09:42 AM

My twitter timeline from the last 10 minutes of that game....

For those that don't use twitter my first post was the one with a red mark. Read up and then go to the other one and read up again.
I haven't been impressed with Arkansas all year.

clenz
March 20th, 2015, 09:57 AM
I haven't been impressed with Arkansas all year.
They are a team that uses athletes to play.

They have one legit basketball player and a bunch of athletic guys that don't really understand the game.

Had Wofford been just a big more athletic to handle the times Ark did dictate the pace, they probably win by 8-9

813Jag
March 20th, 2015, 10:06 AM
They are a team that uses athletes to play.

They have one legit basketball player and a bunch of athletic guys that don't really understand the game.

Had Wofford been just a big more athletic to handle the times Ark did dictate the pace, they probably win by 8-9
I totally agree (LSU is the same), people give them credit for finishing 2nd in a weak SEC.

AshevilleApp2
March 27th, 2015, 05:14 AM
Three more chances.

dewey
March 28th, 2015, 10:10 PM
The Kentucky Wisconsin match up should be a great game. Kentucky ' s young athletic players against Wisconsin ' s seasoned veterans. Also Wisconsin ' s revenge factor from last year. I hate to say it being from Minnesota but I will he cheering for the Badgers.

Dewey

Laker
March 29th, 2015, 07:33 AM
The Kentucky Wisconsin match up should be a great game. Kentucky ' s young athletic players against Wisconsin ' s seasoned veterans. Also Wisconsin ' s revenge factor from last year. I hate to say it being from Minnesota but I will he cheering for the Badgers.

Dewey

I'm with you. Last night was probably the first time that I wanted Notre Dame to win. So close, so close.

AshevilleApp2
March 30th, 2015, 01:22 PM
I'm with you. Last night was probably the first time that I wanted Notre Dame to win. So close, so close.

I'm hoping for an all Big 10 final. If Duke plays Kentucky in the final, I'll get to bed early that night!

Ivytalk
March 31st, 2015, 06:15 AM
I'm hoping for an all Big 10 final. If Duke plays Kentucky in the final, I'll get to bed early that night!

That's what CBS wants, to boost the ratings. I am also pulling for a Wisconsin-MSU final!xthumbsupx

ysubigred
March 31st, 2015, 12:16 PM
That's what CBS wants, to boost the ratings. I am also pulling for a Wisconsin-MSU final!xthumbsupx

Ditto ^^^^^^^

344Johnson
March 31st, 2015, 03:14 PM

No reason to cheer against Notre Dame in basketball...
Football I understand but men's basketball.... Come on

clenz
April 1st, 2015, 11:59 AM
No reason to cheer against Notre Dame in basketball...
Football I understand but men's basketball.... Come on
Why should I cheer for ND?

Give me one, good, reason I *should*.

OhioHen
April 1st, 2015, 12:51 PM

They're not Duke.

clenz
April 1st, 2015, 01:14 PM
They're not Duke.
I'm not a Duke hater...

next...

BisonFan02
April 1st, 2015, 09:27 PM
I'm not a Duke hater...

next...

Pots of gold, repressed catholic school girls, and St. Paddy's Day.....xlolx

clenz
April 1st, 2015, 09:37 PM
No
Daddy issues not worth my time
Not Irish

Next

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
April 1st, 2015, 10:00 PM
No
Daddy issues not worth my time
Not Irish

......and THEN!?

FIFY :D

344Johnson
April 2nd, 2015, 02:36 AM

No reason not to. It's not like the basketball team is unlikable

clenz
April 2nd, 2015, 07:07 AM
No reason not to. It's not like the basketball team is unlikable
I'm still waiting for a reason I should...

Laker
April 2nd, 2015, 11:30 AM

This immediately came to mind............

http://www.andpop.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/britney-spears-hit-me-baby-one-more-time-video-GC.jpg

dewey
April 2nd, 2015, 12:12 PM
This immediately came to mind............

http://www.andpop.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/britney-spears-hit-me-baby-one-more-time-video-GC.jpg

That is funny as I was thinking the samething as I was reading through this thread.

Dewey

344Johnson
April 2nd, 2015, 12:22 PM
I'm still waiting for a reason I should...

Generally an underdog when it comes to playing the powers in their conference.

I'm not telling anyone to be a fan.

clenz
April 2nd, 2015, 12:27 PM
Generally an underdog when it comes to playing the powers in their conference.

I'm not telling anyone to be a fan.
Underdog?

They have the 9th most tourney bids all time (34)
They have the 26th most NCAA wins all time
They are 9th all time in total victories
They are 13th all time in win %
Haven been to the NCAAs 8 times since Mike Brey took over in 2000 and have won 68% of their games during that time

How are they "generally" an underdog?

I've now made a better case to cheer for ND than anyone else has. Even with all of that I still hope they lose every game.

Unless someone actually gives me a reason to cheer FOR them then I will continue to cheer AGAINST them.

AshevilleApp2
April 2nd, 2015, 01:03 PM
Underdog?

Haven been to the NCAAs 8 times since Mike Brey took over in 2000 and have won 68% of their games during that time

I've now made a better case to cheer for ND than anyone else has. Even with all of that I still hope they lose every game.

Unless someone actually gives me a reason to cheer FOR them then I will continue to cheer AGAINST them.

Who gives a ****, since this is about teams that actually playing?

344Johnson
April 2nd, 2015, 04:00 PM
Underdog?

They've been to one final 4. No titles. Read on a ND forum, don't know if true or not, something like 13th in the ACC for basketball spending.

Consistently a pretty good team. But they are not unlikable. They don't remotely touch Duke, Kansas, UNC, or Kentucky for stirring up emotional responses.

If I tell someone during football season I'm going to watch the Notre Dame game, I'll get either a positive or negative reaction.

If I tell someone I'm a Notre Dame basketball fan, I'm not going to get any reaction at all. Because they don't stir any sort of reaction unless they cheer for a former Big East school.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 2nd, 2015, 09:29 PM
Oh good, another thread where 344Johnson tries to tell us how awesome Notre Dame is.

clenz
April 2nd, 2015, 10:07 PM
Oh poot ND....spending over 5.4 million per year on basketball....

They spend more on basketball than 300 division 1 schools.

You might need to find a smaller violin to try to get by sympathy...

344Johnson
April 3rd, 2015, 11:52 PM
Oh good, another thread where 344Johnson tries to tell us how awesome Notre Dame is.

Hey for once the basketball team was actually awesome in March

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 4th, 2015, 10:28 PM
38 and Done!! Thank You Wisconsin!! That was great!

Bisonator
April 4th, 2015, 10:34 PM
38 and Done!! Thank You Wisconsin!! That was great!

Wisconsin had to beat Kentucky and the refs!

Laker
April 4th, 2015, 10:38 PM
I feel like I actually played in this game tonight. I'm worn out. Way to go Badgers!

4/4 is #44 Frank the Tank's birthday. What a way to celebrate it.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 4th, 2015, 10:40 PM
Wisconsin had to beat Kentucky and the refs!

I thought the officiating was terrible the final 8 minutes. It felt like there were several make-up calls down the stretch that took away from the ending imo. The shot clock violation was clearly blown but that was a bang-bang play. That was more luck than anything...

AshevilleApp2
April 5th, 2015, 05:15 AM
Whew!

Catsfan90
April 5th, 2015, 02:31 PM
I thought the officiating was terrible the final 8 minutes. It felt like there were several make-up calls down the stretch that took away from the ending imo. The shot clock violation was clearly blown but that was a bang-bang play. That was more luck than anything...
Didn't see it but I have heard your concerns echoed. Was the officiating all around bad? Or were calls favouring one team or another?

clenz
April 5th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Didn't see it but I have heard your concerns echoed. Was the officiating all around bad? Or were calls favouring one team or another?
Tick tock clock

Severely one sided for a bit and then exact opposite the next bit

Hammerhead
April 5th, 2015, 09:09 PM
Then you have the Kentucky player who says "F that n-word" during the postgame presser when a teammate was asked about guarding Frank the Tank.

If a white player had used that same language, people would be demanding that he was kicked out of school like the frat boy from Oklahoma.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/kentucky-andrew-harrison-school-evaluate-apparent-comments-obscenity-over-frank-kaminsky-040515

Professor Chaos
April 6th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Then you have the Kentucky player who says "F that n-word" during the postgame presser when a teammate was asked about guarding Frank the Tank.

If a white player had used that same language, people would be demanding that he was kicked out of school like the frat boy from Oklahoma.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/kentucky-andrew-harrison-school-evaluate-apparent-comments-obscenity-over-frank-kaminsky-040515
It's borderline comical how many people are willing to write that off saying things like "stop giving words so much power" and "what he said wasn't racist". It's goes to show how slow racism is progressing that we as a society have to look at the color of a person's skin to decide whether what they're saying is racist or not. The masses applauded the NBA for their punishment of Donald Sterling (which I agreed with btw since he had a long history of being a scumbag) but there was no one defending Sterling by saying we give words too much power. Of course his words were also part of a private conversation recorded without his knowledge instead of a press conference broadcast live to a national audience.

clenz
April 6th, 2015, 11:04 AM
It's borderline comical how many people are willing to write that off saying things like "stop giving words so much power" and "what he said wasn't racist". It's goes to show how slow racism is progressing that we as a society have to look at the color of a person's skin to decide whether what they're saying is racist or not. The masses applauded the NBA for their punishment of Donald Sterling (which I agreed with btw since he had a long history of being a scumbag) but there was no one defending Sterling by saying we give words too much power. Of course his words were also part of a private conversation recorded without his knowledge instead of a press conference broadcast live to a national audience.
That comment shows that the word has a completely different meaning to a certain age/culture.

That's fine.

It brings up the topic of "If it's racist for one person to say, it should be racist for all people to say".

I'll wait for NoDak and his white guilt to tell me I'm wrong.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 6th, 2015, 11:19 AM
I'm a firm believer that words are meaningless without intent. If you are a hateful racist, that word is meant to be hurtful for a reason. Anything else, it's just a collection of letters.

Same reason I think the swear filters here are silly.

That said Clenz, go **** yourself.

clenz
April 6th, 2015, 11:28 AM
I'm a firm believer that words are meaningless without intent. If you are a hateful racist, that word is meant to be hurtful for a reason. Anything else, it's just a collection of letters.

Same reason I think the swear filters here are silly.

That said Clenz, go **** yourself.
So had Frank said "**** that nigga" about Harrison it would be okay and passed of as a "frustrated college kid" putting a "collection of letters together"? That's how this would play out nationally?

NoDak 4 Ever
April 6th, 2015, 11:36 AM
So had Frank said "**** that nigga" about Harrison it would be okay and passed of as a "frustrated college kid" putting a "collection of letters together"? That's how this would play out nationally?

You see, he wouldn't have said it. We pretty much know that. Why? Because it's not part of his language and culture and he's not trying to be hurtful. Harrison is an idiot, we know that. If you look at Twitter for any subject that has a significant AA following, they are using that word all the time.

I don't know what the solution is but making it a racial thing or even worse, a dumb ass political thing isn't it.

clenz
April 6th, 2015, 11:42 AM
You see, he wouldn't have said it. We pretty much know that. Why? Because it's not part of his language and culture and he's not trying to be hurtful. Harrison is an idiot, we know that. If you look at Twitter for any subject that has a significant AA following, they are using that word all the time.

I don't know what the solution is but making it a racial thing or even worse, a dumb ass political thing isn't it.
So why is the word racial then?

It's clearly an accepted term, so it's just a word....right?

NoDak 4 Ever
April 6th, 2015, 11:48 AM
So why is the word racial then?

It's clearly an accepted term, so it's just a word....right?

To me it is. To many it is a cheap and easy way to insult someone as badly as they can. That is where we get into some bad territory. You're a smart guy, you can see the difference.

Professor Chaos
April 6th, 2015, 01:43 PM
To me it is. To many it is a cheap and easy way to insult someone as badly as they can. That is where we get into some bad territory. You're a smart guy, you can see the difference.
The sticking point for me is you're saying the statement isn't racist because of the race of the speaker. To draw a line and say that African Americans can say a certain word and it's not racist but it is racist for anyone else to say it has always had a comedic irony for me because that concept is, in itself, racist. I'm not one to get offended when someone calls me or anyone else the N word but I'm not going to presume to tell anyone else that they shouldn't be offended in the same situation. However, if you want to champion equality and eliminate racism the "do as I say, not as I do" approach isn't going to work IMO.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 6th, 2015, 02:08 PM
The sticking point for me is you're saying the statement isn't racist because of the race of the speaker. To draw a line and say that African Americans can say a certain word and it's not racist but it is racist for anyone else to say it has always had a comedic irony for me because that concept is, in itself, racist. I'm not one to get offended when someone calls me or anyone else the N word but I'm not going to presume to tell anyone else that they shouldn't be offended in the same situation. However, if you want to champion equality and eliminate racism the "do as I say, not as I do" approach isn't going to work IMO.

The symbols of racism and hate are enumerable. A swastika, a cross, a hood, and many, many words are all used for purpose. Left on their own they are just things, it is when they are put into action that they then take on the characteristics of the full intent.

It's like our friends in the south. A Confederate flag is considered racist and offensive to some and not others. Things and words aren't racist, people are racist.

Nowhere in my statement did I say it was OK to say anything. I did, however, draw a distinction between action and intent.

AshevilleApp2
April 6th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Context in words does matter.

And Kentucky goes down!

clenz
April 6th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Do you really...in the deepest part of your heart...that context would matter if Frank said that about Harrison?

FWIW, I'm one of the hardest people to offend with any words of any kind. I find zero words offensive.

I'm simply pointing out that we can't assign racism to something sometimes but not others based on the race of the person that said it and try to decipher intent. It's like trying to figure a difference between ****** and nigga. Is there a difference? Why? My "culture" didn't grow up ending words that end in "er" with an "ah/uh" sound. To me, regardless of intent, saying it with er would be proper...but that's about 1,000000,000,000,000,000,00000000,00000,693 times worse apparently.

EDIT...
As proof that one is apparently worse, even though they are the same, the filter here picked up the er version of the word but not any of the handful of times I've used the "slang" version of it. Why?

dbackjon
April 6th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Good to see cheating Calipari and his one and doners go down.

Bunch of classless fools.

AshevilleApp2
April 7th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Do you really...in the deepest part of your heart...that context would matter if Frank said that about Harrison?

FWIW, I'm one of the hardest people to offend with any words of any kind. I find zero words offensive.

I'm simply pointing out that we can't assign racism to something sometimes but not others based on the race of the person that said it and try to decipher intent. It's like trying to figure a difference between ****** and nigga. Is there a difference? Why? My "culture" didn't grow up ending words that end in "er" with an "ah/uh" sound. To me, regardless of intent, saying it with er would be proper...but that's about 1,000000,000,000,000,000,00000000,00000,693 times worse apparently.

EDIT...
As proof that one is apparently worse, even though they are the same, the filter here picked up the er version of the word but not any of the handful of times I've used the "slang" version of it. Why?

To me context is more situational than cultural.

Example. I'm of Irish background. I've typically never had a problem with Irish jokes or people using the terms mick, shanty Irish, Paddy, etc. (Not that there are very prevalent these days anyway.) The only time I found it offensive was when it came from an Englishman who clearly believed what he was saying. After asking him to clarify, I punched him. Now I did validate some Irish stereotypes there, but it felt good.

Professor Chaos
April 7th, 2015, 12:37 PM

Example. I'm of Irish background. I've typically never had a problem with Irish jokes or people using the terms mick, shanty Irish, Paddy, etc. (Not that there are very prevalent these days anyway.) The only time I found it offensive was when it came from an Englishman who clearly believed what he was saying. After asking him to clarify, I punched him. Now I did validate some Irish stereotypes there, but it felt good.
This reminds me of a wall sign that I love from a local bar here in Fargo:

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah120/tplesuk111/temporary_zpsdeexndsh.jpg

AshevilleApp2
April 7th, 2015, 12:40 PM
This reminds me of a wall sign that I love from a local bar here in Fargo:

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah120/tplesuk111/temporary_zpsdeexndsh.jpg

xlolx xlolx There's some truth in that! xdrunkyx

clenz
April 9th, 2015, 10:25 AM

Great.

With the EXACT SAME CONTEXT what would happen if Frank had said it about Harrison?

AshevilleApp2
April 9th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Great.

With the EXACT SAME CONTEXT what would happen if Frank had said it about Harrison?

There would be great wailing and gnashing of the teeth. xrolleyesx

If you are getting worked up about what you see as a double standard, you would be right that it is a double standard. There are also larger historic issues here that you seem to want to ignore.

Personally ,****** (or niggah) isn't a word I would use unless I meant it to hurt someone , and was ready to defend myself after saying it. But if African Americans choose to use it among themselves as a term of endearment, what do I care?

What the kid said was stupid because it was in a public forum. But what is he, 20 years old? If the **** I said and did when I was 20 were held to the scrutiny things are now, I'd look a lot worse then he does.

Laker
April 9th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Seven Wildcat players are going pro:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/09/its-official-kentucky-will-lose-seven-players-to-the-nba-draft/

Professor Chaos
April 9th, 2015, 04:58 PM
There would be great wailing and gnashing of the teeth. xrolleyesx

If you are getting worked up about what you see as a double standard, you would be right that it is a double standard. There are also larger historic issues here that you seem to want to ignore.

Personally ,****** (or niggah) isn't a word I would use unless I meant it to hurt someone , and was ready to defend myself after saying it. But if African Americans choose to use it among themselves as a term of endearment, what do I care?

What the kid said was stupid because it was in a public forum. But what is he, 20 years old? If the **** I said and did when I was 20 were held to the scrutiny things are now, I'd look a lot worse then he does.
If he's dumb enough to say something like that on a nationally broadcast live press conference what do you think he's saying in less conspicuous situations? I said/did plenty of dumb stuff when I was 20 but I can say pretty confidently I didn't have that lack of self awareness that Harrison showed. It takes a special kind of ignorance and/or stupidity even for a 20 year old to say what he did when he did.

FargoBison
April 9th, 2015, 06:26 PM
Seven Wildcat players are going pro:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/09/its-official-kentucky-will-lose-seven-players-to-the-nba-draft/

I hope some of those guys like the idea of Sioux Falls in January because that is what they just signed up for....

OhioHen
April 10th, 2015, 09:58 AM
I hope some of those guys like the idea of Sioux Falls in January because that is what they just signed up for....

Or that they're brushing up on their Italian/Spanish/French.

clenz
April 10th, 2015, 10:08 AM
I was hearing that a good number of "experts" don't think the Harrison twins will even get drafted.