View Full Version : HBCU Champ. Game to begin in 2015

Pages : 1 [2]

BluBengal07
January 1st, 2015, 09:40 AM
.... why don't Ivy League setup something with Pioneer League? xscanx

clenz
January 1st, 2015, 11:23 AM
PFL wants playoffs and to attempt to improve their quality of play.

Though i wouldn't be shocked if within 7 years the PFL is gone because schools start to realize that scholarships are needed to compete or dropping football all together at these schools

We've already seen the PFL go 2 for 2 in declaring the champ illegal for giving aid to players.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
January 1st, 2015, 09:12 PM
Disclaimer: haven't thought this through, but what about playoffs that start with week 1? Kind of a season of series of 3 or 4 sets of LLWS tourneys where teams are slowly eliminated over the course of the season.... By week 4 or so, 33 pct of the FCS teams are out, by week 8 66 pct are out.... settle it on the field from Day 1.... Obviously most fans wouldn't like it as they wouldn't be able to plan the travel as you really wouldn't know who or where you would be playing by mid-season.... just kind of a random blip

MR. CHICKEN
January 1st, 2015, 10:06 PM

20422.....PLAY-OFFS....NOT BOWLS......FO' FCS.......AWK!

EAT MO' BEEF.......BRAWK!

WestCoastAggie
January 2nd, 2015, 01:00 PM
I just got word from the front office of the MEAC. The proposal hasn't been voted on yet but will be voted on next week in a special meeting. The conference will receive $1 million from ESPN for this game. Apparently, the provision that allows the MEAC to send its champ to the FCS playoffs won't cut the mustard but they will get $200,000 from the game and have at least some of their travel expenses covered. The participating schools keep all revenue from tickets sold from their ticket offices.

The Conference Front office will split evenly 800,000 with the other conference members, which may include non-football members MD-Eastern Shore and Coppin State.

We we still don't have word where and when the game will be played and if other sponsors can be brought in to increase the $$$ pot.

Lastly, Liberty University is a main culprit as to why a particular school against this game hasn't been able to leave for the Big South. Apparently, they do not want associations with any HBCU. So that school, with the Chancellor that has major National Championship aspirations will need to convince the other Big South schools to stand up to Liberty or do a better job at convincing the SoCon or CAA to invite them, or just go at it as an Indy school.

Expect this proposal to get the required 3/4th's vote they need to get this game off the ground.

zilla
January 2nd, 2015, 01:30 PM
Lastly, Liberty University is a main culprit as to why a particular school against this game hasn't been able to leave for the Big South. Apparently, they do not want associations with any HBCU. So that school, with the Chancellor that has major National Championship aspirations will need to convince the other Big South schools to stand up to Liberty or do a better job at convincing the SoCon or CAA to invite them, or just go at it as an Indy school.

Might be wrong, but I doubt A&T gets a SoCon or CAA invite anytime soon...those leagues already have UNC-Greensboro & Elon (same market).

I think NCA&T's best bet is the Big South if they can get the votes.

clenz
January 2nd, 2015, 01:32 PM
Might be wrong, but I doubt A&T gets a SoCon or CAA invite anytime soon...those leagues already have UNC-Greensboro & Elon (same market).

What's funny is Liberty blocking someone for institutional reasons....yet getting pissy someone says they don't want Liberty because their wacknut founder and base.

citdog
January 2nd, 2015, 01:43 PM
What's funny is Liberty blocking someone for institutional reasons....yet getting pissy someone says they don't want Liberty because their wacknut founder and base.

Very Christian of them.....

WileECoyote06
January 2nd, 2015, 01:53 PM
Liberty fans? Are yall still mad because of the 2013 NCAA tournament play-in game?

Adding A&T would be a coup for the Big South. I hope we join them...football would suffer at first, but we'd bring some decent basketball too.

KPSUL
January 2nd, 2015, 02:18 PM

Liberty played Norfolk State this season and plays Delaware State next. They have an African American Head Coach, and 18% of the students and at least half of the football players are African American. Liberty might be a tough place to go if you are agnostic, gay or liberal; but they are not racially prejudice. If in fact they are against A&T joining the Big South, it is for reasons other than race.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 2nd, 2015, 02:25 PM

If that is true, just wow.

clenz
January 2nd, 2015, 02:45 PM
Liberty played Norfolk State this season and plays Delaware State next. They have an African American Head Coach, and 18% of the students and at least half of the football players are African American. Liberty might be a tough place to go if you are agnostic, gay or liberal; but they are not racially prejudice. If in fact they are against A&T joining the Big South, it is for reasons other than race.
I'm not accusing them of racist.

I'm saying that Liberty fans get all bent out of shape when a conference spurns them because of their wack job founder and alumni base.

For them to spurn anyone, especially leading the charge, is asinine and they deserve to be called on it non-stop

rokamortis
January 2nd, 2015, 03:02 PM

It should be easier to get the votes in the Big South as well. The SoCon and CAA are awfully picky and I just don't see any MEAC schools that will move the needle.

That Liberty could be blocking them is asinine if true. They have made it very clear they want to go to FBS, so they should leave major decisions to the members that are likely to be there holding the bag when they split.

clenz
January 2nd, 2015, 03:04 PM
It should be easier to get the votes in the Big South as well. The SoCon and CAA are awfully picky and I just don't see any MEAC schools that will move the needle.

That Liberty could be blocking them is asinine if true. They have made it very clear they want to go to FBS, so they should leave major decisions to the members that are likely to be there holding the bag when they split.
Using blocking power as leverage...

NoDak 4 Ever
January 2nd, 2015, 03:06 PM

If it were Coastal, would that be the textbook definition of a Cock block?

rokamortis
January 2nd, 2015, 03:26 PM

Leverage for what?

"Hey Sun Belt, if you don't let us in we won't let A&T in the Big South. So there! xawesomex"

clenz
January 2nd, 2015, 03:29 PM
Leverage for what?

"Hey Sun Belt, if you don't let us in we won't let A&T in the Big South. So there! xawesomex"
Leverage against the Big South.

Give us what we want or we leave.

It might work.

rokamortis
January 2nd, 2015, 05:00 PM
Leverage against the Big South.

Give us what we want or we leave.

It might work.

It shouldn't. They are as good as gone - just a matter of time. The conference needs to do what is in the best interest of all members but primarily they need to fortify football membership. 2015 the BIg South will have 7 teams but only 5 full time members. 2 affiliate members, one with 3 years and the other with 4 years left on their contracts.

Imagine a world where in 4 years Liberty is off to FBS Mecca, MU is in the NEC, CAA, or Patriot, and Kennesae is heading to the OVC, SoCon, or FBS. Not an unrealistic scenario.

4 full time members and no auto bid will suck very badly.

superman7515
January 2nd, 2015, 07:11 PM
Imagine a world where in 4 years Liberty is off to FBS Mecca, MU is in the NEC, CAA, or Patriot, and Kennesae is heading to the OVC, SoCon, or FBS. Not an unrealistic scenario.

4 full time members and no auto bid will suck very badly.

See the MAAC.

WileECoyote06
January 2nd, 2015, 08:11 PM

Welp then they must consider A&T a threat then. Cuz other than that, there are few negatives to A&T joining the Big South. A&T would be the third largest school in the Big South, in the third largest television market (Atlanta, Charlotte, Greensboro). They would be the only Doctoral I Research institution in the Big South. And they'd have the largest football stadium and third largest basketball arena. On top of that Aggie fans travel and if it's in-state they will be there to take over your stadium/arena.

They couldn't possibly be scared of the Aggie quiz bowl team; they haven't been the same since their coach left after the 2013 season. xlolx