View Full Version : FCS Semifinal - Illinois State @ New Hampshire

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 20th, 2014, 03:50 PM
2 point conversion

Ill State up 21-18

Mr. C
December 20th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Illinois State leads for the first time, 21-18.

centennial
21-18

WrenFGun
Gut check time in Durham; not looking good with Harris hurt.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 20th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Thats literally how physical it is. Even things that aren't normally considered physical is now physical.

They als keep forgetting the O in O'Shagunessy

Ok, I get it now.

Mr. C
December 20th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Steretti with a first down run as Harris watches from the sidelines.

- - - Updated - - -

Goldrich is stuffed

RabidRabbit
December 20th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Went 4 2. Got it. 21-18 Birds. 7 min left

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk

Mr. C
December 20th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Nice throw and catch, fumble to ISU, finally is called incomplete. Bad call.

NDSUSR
WHAT A **** CALL. FUMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
That is a fumble!

BluBengal07
this game is still a toss up. we'll see who's moving on soon.

Mr. C
December 20th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Another nice crossing pattern for Allison to get 13 and the third-down conversion.

centennial
BS!! That was a fumble!

BisonBacker
Ill. State got jobbed on that call. That was clearly a fumble.

centennial
December 20th, 2014, 03:59 PM
4th and 3rd

Mr. C
December 20th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Shovel pass against middle blitz pressure to the 50.

- - - Updated - - -

Steretti out of a weird formation for a run that makes it 3rd and 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Goodrich checks to the wrong play as ISU shows man coverage and then falls into cover 2. 4th and 3. UNH going for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Screen pass is stopped short. ISU ball pretty near where they should have had the fumble.

Mr. C
December 20th, 2014, 04:00 PM
ISU going conservative with 4 minutes left.

centennial
December 20th, 2014, 04:00 PM
No conversion on 4th

Mr. C
December 20th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Another Coprich run for very little. Third down and long coming up. Roberson with a keeper for the first down.

Mr. C
December 20th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Not impressed with Coprich on another short run. UNH uses its final time out. The Wildcats need a stop here to keep their hopes alive.

Sycamore62
December 20th, 2014, 04:05 PM
On a side note. In real time I thought the incomplete pass/fumble was the right call. I don't know why they didn't let it go.

Mr. C
December 20th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Coprich is stopped very close to the first down

IBleedYellow
December 20th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Can we start at MVFC circlejerk chant?!

MVFC! MVFC!

Mr. C
December 20th, 2014, 04:08 PM
On a side note. In real time I thought the incomplete pass/fumble was the right call. I don't know why they didn't let it go.
Wrong call, the WR CLEARLY made moves after the catch before being stripped.

dwtime
December 20th, 2014, 04:08 PM
That was a terrible spot he didn't make it oh well good season Cats!

Mr. C
December 20th, 2014, 04:09 PM
The first down measurement might be overturned on the review.

- - - Updated - - -

Memories of the blown spot in the EWU-Delaware championship game.

- - - Updated - - -

The worst thing that college officials do is spotting the ball.

Sycamore62
Wrong call, the WR CLEARLY made moves after the catch before being stripped.
I agree on the replay. I thought maybe he was bobbling until I saw the replay

Mr. C
4th and about a half-yard after the review.

Sycamore62
December 20th, 2014, 04:10 PM
The first down measurement might be overturned on the review.

- - - Updated - - -

Memories of the blown spot in the EWU-Delaware championship game.

- - - Updated - - -

The worst thing that college officials do is spotting the ball.

Its not super easy to do

Mr. C
December 20th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Coprich with the power first down run. Looks like the first all-conference final in NCAA FCS history.

Bison Fan in NW MN
That is the game.

All Valley final!!!

Mr. C
Its not super easy to do
They get paid to get it right.

Sycamore62
December 20th, 2014, 04:12 PM
I say we had a tough 2 weeks in October with ISUr and NDSU back to back but UNI beat them back to back

BluBengal07
congrats state

Mr. C
The closest that one conference had come before was when Appalachian State lost in overtime to Montana in 2001 after Georgia Southern had beaten Delaware. It was a tipped pass away from happening that year.

JMU-MRD-DAD
Should be an interesting final since you guys didn't face each other during the regular season.

Sycamore62
December 20th, 2014, 04:13 PM
They get paid to get it right.

I agree but apparently there is no amount of money that will ever do that.

Maybe be they should add more guys on the sideline

RabidRabbit
December 20th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Valley final!!😁. Congrats Birds

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk

WrenFGun
December 20th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Congrats to ISU-r. UNH ran out of gas after the Harris injury.

Mr. C
A lot of missed opportunities for both teams in this game. This one is going to hurt at UNH for a long time. ISU snapped a 14-game home winning streak for the Wildcats.

Feel sorry for Sean McDonnell. Classy guy and a great coach.

GoBlueHens83
Congrats Illinois State.

R3TRO
December 20th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Goldrich missing those two touchdown throws to Harris is going to come back to haunt is. Dammit!

Just going to put this here.

Southern Bison
December 20th, 2014, 04:15 PM
The closest that one conference had come before was when Appalachian State lost in overtime to Montana in 2001 after Georgia Southern had beaten Delaware. It was a tipped pass away from happening that year.
Wasn't there a Furman/GaSo title game in the 80s or 90s?

hebmskebm
December 20th, 2014, 04:18 PM
I think ISUr showed they were the superior team, but the gap between them and UNH wasn't what a lot of people here assumed it was.

SpreadtheRed
Great game UNH, Birds are Frisco Bound!

dwtime
Congrats to ISU-r. UNH ran out of gas after the Harris injury.

Lots of injuries today for the Cats tough to make up for it, Illinois State shut us down in the 2nd half a few key barely missed passes to Harris would have really put Illinois State under the gun. Great season Cats you played well today just a tad short.

Twentysix
December 20th, 2014, 04:21 PM

Yes, but no.

Georgia Southern joined the socon 7 years after that game occurred.

ISUMatt
December 20th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Wow!!. Great game UNH, I agree with the posts on the missed deep balls. Hit one of those and it's a different story. That said the REDBIRDS stuck to the plan, never panicked, hit some key 3rd and longs, and the 2 lines took the game over!. After Harris went out, that beast of a TE needed to take over. Great game, 2 great teams, wow

caribbeanhen
December 20th, 2014, 04:30 PM
RJ Harris out equals Cardinals in

Twentysix
December 20th, 2014, 04:30 PM
No one deserves it more than the Redbirds.

Congrats on earning your way to Frisco primarily on the road.

dwtime
December 20th, 2014, 04:32 PM
RJ Harris out equals Cardinals in

Well it didn't help for sure but Illinois State made the plays they needed to win.

Mr. C
December 20th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Furman and Georgia Southern played two classic finals in the 80s, but Georgia Southern was an independent at the time. The Eagles did not enter the SoCon until 1993.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 20th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Congrats Illinois St! Now the we can crown two titles in Frisco, MVFC and National.

I really thought this was UNH's year to reach the finals....

Bisonator
December 20th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Congrats to both teams on a hard fought and close game. We'll see you in Frisco Redbirds!

Jrbird2
December 20th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Well that was an emotional rollercoaster!

Redbirdgrad
December 20th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Great game UNH, but I have to say it again... ISU deserved the #2 seed this year. Too bad we had to earn it on the road, but I knew we would.

Da Herd
December 20th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Great game UNH, but I have to say it again... ISU deserved the #2 seed this year. Too bad we had to earn it on the road, but I knew we would.
Who deserved the 1 seed?

Mattymc727
December 20th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Great game, the better team won. Im proud of this team and the state, that was a great atmosphere too.

skinny_uncle
December 20th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Nice comeback, 'Birds. Congrats!

birdsflyhigh
December 20th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Wow! That was one tough game between 2 darn good teams. Sounds like New Hampshire really packed 'em in today with 50 percent OVER capacity...very cool!

Alright, onto Frisco and the ultimate MVFC showdown for the Valley crown and oh yeah....a national championship.

Go get 'em Birds! :)

caribbeanhen
December 20th, 2014, 07:20 PM
This game kind of played out like that Eastern Washington Delaware 2010 title game but without all the controversy ,,,, New Hampshire gave it away fair and square

PantherRob82
December 20th, 2014, 07:24 PM

You guys deserved a 4 seed at best. Wouldn't have changed anything since you are headed to Frisco anyway.

The UNI game cost you the opportunity to jump any of the top 3. You and NDSU had the same loss, but they played 12 games and beat Montana and Iowa State, UNH and Jax only lost to FBS.

KPSUL
December 20th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Great game, congratulations to both teams and good luck to ISUr in Frisco. I agree with the Redbird fan who posted that Goldrich should have got to the ball to Spears more after RJ went down. Losing Harris efffected more that the passing yards. He handles the balll- on every "trick" play and runs the ball on sweeps and reverses - normally more in the 2nd half. Roberson is a great QB, I'm pleased that UNH contained him as well as they did. Nico had more rushing yards than Coprich; anyone else want to question wheter or not UNH can play defense?

UNH72Plus
December 20th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Tough loss for the Cats, but a great day for the D, holding Coprich to 79 yards rushing, stuffing the Redbirds on the first and goal from the 3, holding ISUr to about half their average points per game, and generally stepping up their game against a huge O-line. I think the loss of DeAndrade in the 4th quarter really hurt on all those 3rd and long pass plays. The offense had their chances on the deep routes to RJ that didn't quite get there and the one that got there but was just a bit behind him.

I would have liked to have seen Crossan get a few more touches, and Spears a few more passes. And of course, any time you lose an All-American wide receiver in crunch time you're going to be hurting.

Anyway, congratulations Redbirds, and good luck in Frisco.

Cleets
December 20th, 2014, 09:28 PM
The Game in Frisco will feature #1 & #2 in my opinion
The two best teams are in the final game

xnodx

Redbirdgrad
December 20th, 2014, 09:29 PM
#1 seed in this tourney should have been North Dakota State
#2 should have been Illinois State

Justice was served... just a few more miles on the odometer than we should have had. It's cool though... get to see 2 beautiful parts of the country on the way to the ship.

Cleets
December 20th, 2014, 09:35 PM

Justice was served... just a few more miles on the odometer than we should have had. It's cool though... get to see 2 beautiful parts of the country on the way to the ship.

This ^ is accurate

Professor Chaos
December 20th, 2014, 09:36 PM

Haha, it must be a more scenic drive than Fargo to Frisco. North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, and northern Oklahoma all look pretty much the same with varying levels of snow cover. Southern Oklahoma and northern Texas are somewhat scenic but I'm flying this year. I've done the 15 hour drive twice and flown once and the convenience of being in a vehicle that can travel 500+ mph can't be overstated.

Lehigh'98
December 20th, 2014, 09:38 PM
Has any conference had the 1&2 seeds in the same year before?

Twentysix
December 20th, 2014, 09:39 PM

You are onto something.

Professor Chaos
December 20th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Has any conference had the 1&2 seeds in the same year before?
I don't think so. Although in 2010 the CAA had the #2 and #3 seed.

Wallace
December 20th, 2014, 09:49 PM
In this tournament ILS beat UNI by 20, 41-21 so UNI fans have nothing to complain about.

clenz
December 20th, 2014, 09:52 PM
In this tournament ILS beat UNI by 20, 41-21 so UNI fans have nothing to complain about.
ISUr was by far the better team that day.
UNI beat them by 20 about a month earlier.
NDSU, ISUr and UNI are all pretty much equal. UNI decided to play without a qb most of the season though

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Wallace
December 20th, 2014, 10:00 PM
ISUr was by far the better team that day.
UNI beat them by 20 about a month earlier.
UNI did not beat ILS by 20 and the regular season matters little in a one-and-done championship tournament. UNI has no reason to complain about ILS making the finals fair and square.

NDSUSR
December 20th, 2014, 10:42 PM
The Game in Frisco will feature #1 & #2 in my opinion
The two best teams are in the final game

xnodx
Does "Good" Cleets confirm?

PantherRob82
December 20th, 2014, 11:37 PM
UNI did not beat ILS by 20 and the regular season matters little in a one-and-done championship tournament. UNI has no reason to complain about ILS making the finals fair and square.

Where did a UNI fan say anything? I think a Bison fan brought it up.

hebmskebm
December 21st, 2014, 01:38 AM
It would take extremely unusual circumstances for two teams from the same conference to be ranked 1-2 by the selection committee. Not impossible, but exceedingly unlikely.

IBleedYellow
December 21st, 2014, 07:04 AM
It would take extremely unusual circumstances for two teams from the same conference to be ranked 1-2 by the selection committee. Not impossible, but exceedingly unlikely.

Apparently going 10-1 and 11-1 in the regular season and being tied as conference Champions in the best conference isn't enough.

gobirds85
December 22nd, 2014, 09:12 AM
UNH had a very legit claim to #1 as their loss was very early in the season. NDSU was clearly #2. We should have been #3 or #4 at the very least. The Massey Composite had it right, though. #1 will play #2 for the National Championship.

ISU beat the hottest team in FCS football in the second round. We were up 21-0 after one quarter.

We traveled to EWU and whacked them. Then we had to play #1 at their "dungeon" with a 14 game home winning streak and won. Both teams left points on the field Saturday. That's why they play the game.

Had a great time staying in Portsmouth over the weekend. Hung out at the hotel bar with a big time UNH donor and his wife and their friends. They left after a couple of hours saying they had another party to go to. They came back within an hour saying the other party was boring and they were having more fun with us watching the NDSU game. Really enjoyed the UNH hospitality.

Even the few drunken UH morons at the end of the game couldn't dampen the spirit. Great game, guys. Maybe next year.

KPSUL
December 22nd, 2014, 10:02 AM
UNH had a very legit claim to #1 as their loss was very early in the season. NDSU was clearly #2. We should have been #3 or #4 at the very least. The Massey Composite had it right, though. #1 will play #2 for the National Championship.

ISU beat the hottest team in FCS football in the second round. We were up 21-0 after one quarter.

We traveled to EWU and whacked them. Then we had to play #1 at their "dungeon" with a 14 game home winning streak and won. Both teams left points on the field Saturday. That's why they play the game.

Had a great time staying in Portsmouth over the weekend. Hung out at the hotel bar with a big time UNH donor and his wife and their friends. They left after a couple of hours saying they had another party to go to. They came back within an hour saying the other party was boring and they were having more fun with us watching the NDSU game. Really enjoyed the UNH hospitality.

Even the few drunken UH morons at the end of the game couldn't dampen the spirit. Great game, guys. Maybe next year.

Very well thought out assessment. I would not have been upset, or surprised, if any of the the three teams, UNH, ISU or NDSU had ended up seeded #1. Clearly, UNH got the nod due to an undefeated FCS record, but the MVFC had more strength up and down the conference so picking NDSU or even ISU could have also been justified. Actually the Coastal - NDSU game might even bring them closer to the top in retrospect. I firmly believe that if Jon Robertson had played for NOVA they would have been NDSU's Semi opponent and the game would have been as close as our matchup. The loss of Robertson for the entire NOVA-SHSU game was significantly more important than UNH losing RJ Harris for the 2nd half. I really don't think the disparity between the MVFC and the CAA is that profound - particularly at the top of the conference. By coincidence I flew on the same flight to Baltimore with RJ Harris Sunday and got a chance to chat with him for 10 minutes walking to baggage claim. In addition to saying he'd be fine physically in short order, he said ISU had been the best team they had faced during the season. No shocking revelation considering what we saw in the stands.

The University closed off the traditional tailgating area inside the perimeter fence, supposedly for wet, soft ground. I think they really did it to cut down on game time drinking, but it is no problem bringing alcohol in anyways - they don't even check backpacks. Obviously I wouldn't know for sure who they were, but like any successful athletic program, we attracted I lot of front running fans this year that really have no association to the University. But college student drink to much everywhere, except maybe Liberty and BYU, so it could have been a couple students acting stupid. Regardless of who they were, sorry for the drunken morons, I'm glad it didn't ruin your overall experience as a guest in NH and at our school. As far as next year, with all the key players that are Seniors, it's a tall order to expect they might get back to this level in one season.

gobirds85
December 22nd, 2014, 10:13 AM
Very well thought out assessment. I would not have been upset, or surprised, if any of the the three teams, UNH, ISU or NDSU had ended up seeded #1. Clearly, UNH got the nod due to an undefeated FCS record, but the MVFC had more strength up and down the conference so picking NDSU or even ISU could have also been justified. Actually the Coastal - NDSU game might even bring them closer to the top in retrospect. I firmly believe that if Jon Robertson had played for NOVA they would have been NDSU's Semi opponent and the game would have been as close as our matchup. The loss of Robertson for the entire NOVA-SHSU game was significantly more important than UNH losing RJ Harris for the 2nd half. I really don't think the disparity between the MVFC and the CAA is that profound - particularly at the top of the conference. By coincidence I flew on the same flight to Baltimore with RJ Harris Sunday and got a chance to chat with him for 10 minutes walking to baggage claim. In addition to saying he'd be fine physically in short order, he said ISU had been the best team they had faced during the season. No shocking revelation considering what we saw in the stands.

The University closed off the traditional tailgating area inside the perimeter fence, supposedly for wet, soft ground. I think they really did it to cut down on game time drinking, but it is no problem bringing alcohol in anyways - they don't even check backpacks. Obviously I wouldn't know for sure who they were, but like any successful athletic program, we attracted I lot of front running fans this year that really have no association to the University. But college student drink to much everywhere, except maybe Liberty and BYU, so it could have been a couple students acting stupid. Regardless of who they were, sorry for the drunken morons, I'm glad it didn't ruin your overall experience as a guest in NH and at our school. As far as next year, with all the key players that are Seniors, it's a tall order to expect they might get back to this level in one season.

No worries. The amount of great UNH fans outnumbered the goofballs by far. Actually sat with an UNH father and son and had a great time discussing the school during time outs. Really love that area of the country. Once again, thank you for the hospitality and the River House chowder and lobster roll.