PDA

View Full Version : Update your resume, FCS members, UAB close to dropping football

Pages : 1 [2]

Jason Svoboda
December 3rd, 2014, 04:06 PM
Why do you always speculate about FBS teams moving to FCS LFN? It is not happening, ever! Not sure why you bring it up so much. What would be the point?

I think anyone with any sort of business acumen can see the writing is on the wall. The P5 conferences will continue to spend everyone else into oblivion. Low level FBS schools are subsidizing $10-20 million more a year than FCS counterparts and for what? The possibility to play in a bowl game? They will never be allowed into the Top 4 playoff and I would imagine you'll have school BoTs start realizing those funds aren't producing measurable benefits and those numbers will grow with FCOA, increased expenses and pay-for-play initiatives.

The landscape has changed dramatically in the last 5 years. Low level FBS schools have already effectively dropped down with the introduction of autonomy. Whether they drop down to FCS or they merge in with FCS feels like when, not if, especially as expenses continue to rise. There is always a breaking point and I'd bet most schools would prefer not to shut their doors like UAB.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

JMU2004
December 3rd, 2014, 04:11 PM
It really is going back to the Small College divisions of yesteryear. I hate to say it, but everyone needs to align with peers, institutionally and geographically.

bonarae
December 3rd, 2014, 04:34 PM
If I have zero interest in school and/or don't really have the grades/test scores for college, then I take the money and go pro out of HS. Like that kid I heard recently on ESPN. "I came to play football not play school!" Or something of that ilk. It works for baseball and ice hockey. The revolving door of one and done kids at KY (MBB) is a friggin joke.

Football needs to realize this. The NBA learned from the NFL, not vice versa. Look at the new trend (small but growing) of MBB recruits opting to play overseas instead of college. Only the Saints took in some JUCO kids and even a no-college kid as WR's from the 1990's. What is the history behind the NFL draft being restricted to players three or more years out of HS graduation?

I think anyone with any sort of business acumen can see the writing is on the wall. The P5 conferences will continue to spend everyone else into oblivion. Low level FBS schools are subsidizing $10-20 million more a year than FCS counterparts and for what? The possibility to play in a bowl game? They will never be allowed into the Top 4 playoff and I would imagine you'll have school BoTs start realizing those funds aren't producing measurable benefits and those numbers will grow with FCOA, increased expenses and pay-for-play initiatives.

The landscape has changed dramatically in the last 5 years. Low level FBS schools have already effectively dropped down with the introduction of autonomy. Whether they drop down to FCS or they merge in with FCS feels like when, not if, especially as expenses continue to rise. There is always a breaking point and I'd bet most schools would prefer not to shut their doors like UAB.

They find ways to be contented in a boring bowl, but we'll never understand why... xsmhx

It really is going back to the Small College divisions of yesteryear. I hate to say it, but everyone needs to align with peers, institutionally and geographically.

OK, wishful thinking at this point... most D-III's are confined to their conferences and in-region opponents, but they do get out-of-region opponents once in a while.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 3rd, 2014, 06:06 PM
Wow you sure are a ****ing ****. Look, think what you want about the MVC, but despite WSU, Creighton, and UNI being formidable mid-major teams, the fact is, the MVC has been a ONE bid conference for the better part of a decade now. To most people (including those in Bristol that really matter), that gives our league no more identity than the Sun Belt, MAC, Summit, take your pick. Just wait until WSU finds a way out of this **** sandwich of a league.

And btw, I'm glad UNI is off to a good start, but they haven't played anyone of real merit yet (don't cite VT and NU as tourney resume wins, those teams will be lucky to win 15 games this year). ISUr has marginal losses to a Utah State team that is in the tourney on an almost annual basis, a Seton Hall team with one of the top ten recruiting classes in the country, and VCU team ranked 14th nationally. We'll see who needs to step up their game after a few months.

At worst the MVC is similar to the WCC. Both conferences have at least one team that will be viable nationally and usually one or two real solid side kicks. The history of the WCC goes beyond Gonzaga and the least 15 years. Pepperdine and Santa Clara/Steve Nash were doing good things in the 1990's. There was also Bo Kimble and Hank Gathers and San Fran in the 1950's. MVC's schools have similar tradition and accomplishments. Both leagues are well respected by every college hoops fan I know. The league will obviously get a little fun poked at by the P5 leagues but that's just how it goes.

UNI is legitimately good. They have a roster full of experience and talent. Their big man is one of the more underrated centers in the country right now. He'll receive more pub as the year goes on. I'll be real surprised if they aren't dancing. I could easily see them as a dangerous 10 seed....

- - - Updated - - -

LehighU11
December 3rd, 2014, 07:06 PM
Please share with me where I posted that.
I wasn't being serious, as I remembered that the original post was satirical:

Wow! I just heard through "unnamed sources" that Penn State, Delaware, Lehigh, Colgate, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Central Florida and East Carolina are going to form an Eastern BCS conference to replace the Big East.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?107832-Lehigh-and-Penn-State-to-form-new-BCS-conference

49RFootballNow
December 3rd, 2014, 07:35 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3PQhWvCQAA3xV0.jpg:large

birdsflyhigh
December 4th, 2014, 01:10 AM
Just reading through this thread, and had to comment on the UNI fan that thinks Northwestern hoops will end up with a top 100 rpi this season. Really? That's absolutely a ridiculous thing to post....WOW!

clenz
December 4th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Just reading through this thread, and had to comment on the UNI fan that thinks Northwestern hoops will end up with a top 100 rpi this season. Really? That's absolutely a ridiculous thing to post....WOW!
Point out where one...UNI fan...hell...anyone has said Northwestern will finish top 100 RPI...

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2014, 10:19 AM
I wasn't being serious, as I remembered that the original post was satirical:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?107832-Lehigh-and-Penn-State-to-form-new-BCS-conference

That was a fun read. And Georgia State didn't play New Mexico, but they did play New Mexico State this year.

walliver
December 4th, 2014, 11:49 AM

I agree that that is the future for most college programs, and it is not a bad thing.

People often make fun of the MAC, but at it core, it is the template for future college conferences. It is geographically compact and filled with similar schools (with a few outliers). Travel costs are reduced, and rivalries develop. The SunBelt is a geographic disaster. The schools may be similar, but are spread out from the mountains of North Carolina to the deserts of New Mexico to the Potato fields of Idaho. C-USA still has delusions of being a national conference. The latter two conferences make no financial sense.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2014, 12:29 PM
To add to this, I think part of the C-USA calculation was that football would be needed to protect basketball. UAB's decision blasts a giant hole though that theory, however. Though struggling this season, UAB has generated tourney credits for C-USA and overall has been a very strong hoops program.

Not saying that it's the rule yet - C-USA has ODU and Charlotte right now, who are doing very well towards keeping C-USA's hoops standing strong right now - but I think ODU and Charlotte are going to be the two programs that really test the appeal of high student subsidies and C-USA football. ODU is selling out 20,000 seat Foreman field for now.

DFW HOYA
December 4th, 2014, 12:29 PM

Not so easy when your institutional peers aren't your athletic peers and neither are geographic peers.

Laker
December 4th, 2014, 01:49 PM
I apologize if someone already posted these:

Story about profitability of UAB football - uses actual data
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...ram_actua.html (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/12/is_uabs_football_program_actua.html)

Story on the CarrSports report - The Carr report never considered FCS football or dropping down to D2. Story provides a link to the report
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...uab_athle.html (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/12/carrsports_report_on_uab_athle.html)

This opinion piece makes logical case that evidence seems to indicate the decision to kill UAB football was made a while back.
http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/..._story_package (http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2014/12/evidence_mounts_that_killing_o.html#incart_story_p ackage)

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2014, 02:25 PM
That Carr report, holy god what a piece of mother ****ing ****.

superman7515
December 7th, 2014, 02:32 PM
After the (correct) decision by the committee to include Ohio State over TCU/Baylor, I wouldn't be surprised if the Big 12 starts looking for two teams so they can have a conference championship game. They just missed out on $6 million by not having a true conference champion. Not a lot of great options out there though. BYU and Boise State are probably the best of the rest, from a brand perspective, and relatively close as far as the geography goes (since we already know they're willing to add a team as far away as West Virginia). Otherwise they're looking at more Texas schools from the western side of CUSA.

DFW HOYA
December 7th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Story on the CarrSports report - The Carr report never considered FCS football or dropping down to D2. Story provides a link to the report
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...uab_athle.html (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/12/carrsports_report_on_uab_athle.html)

Carr seems to give the audience what it wants to hear. Fifteen years ago, it recommended George Mason pursue full scholarship football because there were no other opponents in the region otherwise (conveniently ignoring Georgetown, Towson, and VMI). The resolution to add football failed by just one vote.

Where would Mason be today had it been more realistic? The next ODU?

hebmskebm
December 7th, 2014, 03:17 PM
After the (correct) decision by the committee to include Ohio State over TCU/Baylor, I wouldn't be surprised if the Big 12 starts looking for two teams so they can have a conference championship game. They just missed out on $6 million by not having a true conference champion. Not a lot of great options out there though. BYU and Boise State are probably the best of the rest, from a brand perspective, and relatively close as far as the geography goes (since we already know they're willing to add a team as far away as West Virginia). Otherwise they're looking at more Texas schools from the western side of CUSA.

I've heard they're looking east, not west (2 out of 3 of Cincy, Memphis, or UCF)

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Cinci is a lock. Likely memphis for bb reasons as well.

Both bridge wvu really well

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

smilo
December 7th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Surprised no Marshall or Colorado St mentions. I know Marshall is same market, but that'd be interesting. Ultimately I think CincI has to get selected. I don't see them going to Florida unless the Seminoles are available which they aren't in any realistic world.

If they're both from the AAC, the American could just make up for it by adding Army and BYU (and b-ball only UAB?? If BYU is football only) rather than raiding C-USA so it's unlikely this will open more spots unless AAC or Big 12 feels pressure to go to 14.

SUPharmacist
December 7th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Point out where one...UNI fan...hell...anyone has said Northwestern will finish top 100 RPI...

Umm, I don't know jack about college b-ball RPIs, but didn't you say

"Right now UNI has 2 top 100 RPI wins and Northwestern (say what you want) will likely finish right around the 100 RPI mark." post #249

You did not say top 100, but saying 'right around' seems close enough for the confusion.

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 04:01 PM
You are way over thinking this…. WAY….

Cinci is a lock. I'm still partially shocked they weren't added initially with TCU.

The other spot comes down to Memphis (because added basketball prowess) and well….…maybe UCONN

No way in hell they go BB only

SUPharmacist
December 7th, 2014, 04:01 PM
On second thought, I see you are referencing UNI around 100, but your wording is confusing.

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 04:03 PM
On second thought, I see you are referencing UNI around 100, but your wording is confusing.
No I'm not and no its not

UNI will likely finish between 25 and 45 in RPI, sans a couple really bad losses.

Currently 13 in it

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Umm, I don't know jack about college b-ball RPIs, but didn't you say

"Right now UNI has 2 top 100 RPI wins and Northwestern (say what you want) will likely finish right around the 100 RPI mark." post #249

You did not say top 100, but saying 'right around' seems close enough for the confusion.
No it doesn't

SUPharmacist
December 7th, 2014, 04:13 PM
No it doesn't

You are an interesting fellow clenz, clearly as I stated I don't know basketball RPIs. As a result I gave you the benefit of the doubt on your statement. Now it turns out your intent was to say Northwestern around 100, and you claim that is not even close to claiming top 100. I will have to take your word for it I guess.

hebmskebm
December 7th, 2014, 04:16 PM
I've wondered why Ohio University in Athens doesn't have (or aspires to have) a comparable stature in college athletics as say a UCincinnati or even a WVU. Granted neither will ever be a perennial national powerhouse like tOSU, but Ohio seems to be incredibly unambitious.

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 04:19 PM
You are an interesting fellow clenz, clearly as I stated I don't know basketball RPIs. As a result I gave you the benefit of the doubt on your statement. Now it turns out your intent was to say Northwestern around 100, and you claim that is not even close to claiming top 100. I will have to take your word for it I guess.

No. You are saying that me stating "around 100" is the same as top 100.it isn't.

It also isn't confusing to anyone with 1/100th amd idea how rpi works .

You are confusing yourself by trying to talk about something you clearly (and admittedly) know nothing about.

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Hell, I went to look at the context of my post again….

This isn't even you not understanding rpi. Its you not being able to follow a conversation.

Let me this down for you.

I said NW likely finishes around 100.

ISUr fan said a UNI fan claimed NW be, for sure, a top 100 win.

I challenged him to show me where one fan said that NW would be top 100

He remained silent because no one said that

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 04:24 PM
No where is there anything close to what you're asserting.

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 04:29 PM
In fact, NW is still top 100 and projected around 105-115

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/07/5b9d4ca3f0cecef44c42a87967a344b2.jpg

NDSUKurt
December 7th, 2014, 04:32 PM
If the Big 12 is serious about expansion, this would cause another ripple all the way down to the FCS.

The Facts:
1. The Big 10, ACC, and Pac 12 have "Grant of rights" clauses in effect, which deals with television and media rights, so unless any school wants to pay $50 million +, they will not go anywhere.

2. The SEC does not have the "Grant of rights" clause, so if the Big 12 wanted to, they could try to get one of those schools to switch (Arkansas?).

Who would the Big 12 target?
1. The most likely scenario for expansion would be Cincinnati and then a mystery team. This mystery team could come from anywhere.

2. Central Florida or South Florida are mentioned for the Florida TV market and recruiting. They would be more geographic outliers for the conference.

3. BYU has its own TV network and a large national following, but supposedly is not liked by many current Big 12 schools. They would be a geographic outlier.

4. Memphis has a poor football history. In 2010, Fred Smith, CEO of Fed Ex, pledged to donate $10 million annually to any power 5 conference that adds Memphis. They are not a geographic outlier (compared to other options). They would add to the basketball standing of the conference.

5. Boise State would bring a name that is known nationally because of their upset of Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl (and their blue turf). They are a geographic outlier, and their academics are well known for being of a "lower standard" of many institutions. Their basketball program, until recently, has been poor.

6. Colorado State would bring the Denver and Colorado markets back to the conference. They are from a state that was previously in the conference. Their basketball program is decent, and their academics are well respected.

7. Are other possibilities that are discussed behind the scenes? Connecticut? Northern Illinois? East Carolina? San Diego State? Fresno State? Wyoming?

What would this do for the FCS?

If/when the Big 12 expands, the ripple would start and move fast.

1. If a Mountain West school was selected to join the Big 12, then the Mountain West would probably add UTEP from Conference USA.

2. This would start more dominoes with teams moving from the Sun Belt or FCS to Conference USA. The Sun Belt would then look to the FCS to add another team.

3. As discussed by others, likely FCS teams to jump to FBS are James Madison, Liberty (although no conference wants them), Delaware, Missouri State (I personally don't think they would - they often play 2 FBS games to help their athletic budget now. Moving up to FBS would add more scholarships and add to their expenses).

4. Shifts in the FCS would continue to result in more conference shuffling.

Teal2018
December 7th, 2014, 05:35 PM
A question to fans of the CAA: If JMU goes to the FBS would you want Coastal to fill the vacancy?

smilo
December 7th, 2014, 05:59 PM
I want Monmouth - they may be a few years away, but I like their potential, their stadium and the north/south divide.

If there are only 4 Big South teams left because Liberty leaves, they should merge with SoCon somehow. Very similar quality and makes it a deeper league. Destroys OOC scheduling so they'd be highly dependent on facing FBS schools and MEACs mostly

Teal2018
December 7th, 2014, 06:03 PM
I want Monmouth - they may be a few years away, but I like their potential, their stadium and the north/south divide.

What do you see with Monmouth that makes you like their potential?

Dave195
December 7th, 2014, 06:05 PM

If there are only 4 Big South teams left because Liberty leaves, they should merge with SoCon somehow. Very similar quality and makes it a deeper league. Destroys OOC scheduling so they'd be highly dependent on facing FBS schools and MEACs mostly

I agree. Monmouth would be a great fit to replace JMU in the CAA.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 7th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Cincy and UConn would make the most "sense" in this senseless expansion round - only because the AAC is even less of a fit than the Big XII, which would solidify its basketball cred to go well beyond the ACC.

Besides, they will be reunited with their historic rival.... West Virginia. xlolx

superman7515
December 7th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Ugh. Thinking of Monmouth in the CAA just made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

- - - Updated - - -

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11993892/big-12-commissioner-bob-bowlsby-says-conference-reconsider-how-declare-champion

In a phone interview on the College Football Playoff Selection Show, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told ESPN's Rece Davis: "It's clear that we were penalized for not having a postseason championship game. It would have been nice to have been told that ahead of time."

"We have to weigh whether this is substantial enough to add institutions. ... It's certainly a major consideration."
The Big 12 would need to add two teams or have the NCAA approve a waiver to have a conference championship game. The Big 12 has 10 teams, and a conference must have 12 teams to have a conference championship game.

DFW HOYA
December 7th, 2014, 08:00 PM
If the Big 12 is serious about expansion, this would cause another ripple all the way down to the FCS.

Maybe, maybe not. The big kids are loath to put any more seats out around the table.

The key driver is whether the playoff stays at four or moves to eight. An eight team playoff makes a Big 12 title game (and frankly, a title for the ACC or Pac-12) less necessary.

Big 12 expansion can be summed up in two letters: UT. There's no expansion unless Texas says so. If so, your top five candidates, in order, are:

1. Cincinnati (A travel partner, but not much more.)
2. Central Florida (Location, location, location.)
3. BYU (A big name with some hurdles to overcome)
4. Houston (New stadium, old SWC ties and limits TAMU from owning the Houston media market)

Below the G5, do these other conferences really need championship games? So if you say yes, AAC picks up two from CUSA, who needs three with UAB's defunding, which come out of the Sun Belt.

At least the good news this time is that the Big East isn't losing anyone. That Fox TV money makes a difference.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 7th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Cincinnati brings more than just a "travel partner". The Bearcats have been extremely consistent in basketball and football over the last 10 years. Their hoops tradition goes back to the 1960's. Nippert Stadium is undergoing a major renovation and will be just as nice as TCU and Baylor's digs. Academically, Cincinnati is a pretty good school.

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Cinci is an absolute home run for the B12 in every way.

When the B10 expanded I wanted to see Louisville and Cinci go there, but they went Rutgers/Maryland.

zilla
December 8th, 2014, 09:07 AM
JMU is either the 2nd/3rd southernmost team in CAA Football. If the Dukes left for the FBS, why would they add another northern school from New Jersey?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Maybe, maybe not. The big kids are loath to put any more seats out around the table.

The key driver is whether the playoff stays at four or moves to eight. An eight team playoff makes a Big 12 title game (and frankly, a title for the ACC or Pac-12) less necessary.

Big 12 expansion can be summed up in two letters: UT. There's no expansion unless Texas says so. If so, your top five candidates, in order, are:

1. Cincinnati (A travel partner, but not much more.)
2. Central Florida (Location, location, location.)
3. BYU (A big name with some hurdles to overcome)
4. Houston (New stadium, old SWC ties and limits TAMU from owning the Houston media market)

Below the G5, do these other conferences really need championship games? So if you say yes, AAC picks up two from CUSA, who needs three with UAB's defunding, which come out of the Sun Belt.

At least the good news this time is that the Big East isn't losing anyone. That Fox TV money makes a difference.

You forgot the potential UConn/Kansas men's basketball, as much of a driver as BYU or Houston. I don't see Houston as a serious contender for the exact reason you mention - is Texas really going to add another Texas school to whom they could lose recruits? It took water torture to have them pick up TCU.

Sandlapper Spike
December 8th, 2014, 09:30 AM
I don't see the Big XII expanding to 12 just to get a league title game, though. That would be dumb.

If it did expand, it would need one vaguely eastern team to slightly balance travel for WVU. Cincinnati is the obvious candidate in that respect.

After that, what school does Texas want? Because as mentioned above, it's all about Texas. I think BYU is (by far) the top choice, but it may not be what UT has in mind.

ST_Lawson
December 8th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Cinci is an absolute home run for the B12 in every way.

When the Big 10 expanded I wanted to see Louisville and Cinci go there, but they went Rutgers/Maryland.

It is a great school, and it would have been nice to see it as part of the B10, but I'd bet Ohio State would shoot down that idea. They're only about 100 miles away from each other and I don't think they'd want to deal with a B10 school that close. Plus the conference was looking for untapped media markets, and despite the fact that NY isn't a strong college football market, it is a giant media market. OSU probably gets pretty good coverage down in Cincy already, but the B10 visibility on the east coast was pretty lacking. Not saying I don't agree with you that geographically, academically and athletically, it makes a lot of sense for Louisville and Cincy in the Big 10. Just financially, in the B10's eyes, there were better options.

And I also agree with you that they'd be a great fit for the Big 12.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2014, 11:14 AM
OSU probably gets pretty good coverage down in Cincy already, but the B10 visibility on the east coast was pretty lacking.

Adding Rutgers didn't do anything to fix this, the fatal flaw of the B1G's plan.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 8th, 2014, 12:17 PM
JMU is either the 2nd/3rd southernmost team in CAA Football. If the Dukes left for the FBS, why would they add another northern school from New Jersey?

Richmond, William & Mary and Elon are all further South than JMU. Adding a northern team would avoid splitting Villanova and Delaware in the divisions, that would be the reason for a Northern school. And the roots of the CAA Football Conference are the Yankee then A-10 Conferences. Not saying it would happen, but there would be reasons for it.

ST_Lawson
December 8th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Adding Rutgers didn't do anything to fix this, the fatal flaw of the B1G's plan.

Well, yea, I don't think it really accomplished what they were shooting for. I don't think adding Rutgers did much of anything. Adding Maryland might have helped a little, but it does kinda get them an "in" into the "DMV" recruting area (DC, Maryland, Virginia).

Did they end up adding the B1G network to the cable packages in NYC and DC areas? Because it sounds like that was 90% of what they were going for.

clenz
December 8th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Well, yea, I don't think it really accomplished what they were shooting for. I don't think adding Rutgers did much of anything. Adding Maryland might have helped a little, but it does kinda get them an "in" into the "DMV" recruting area (DC, Maryland, Virginia).

Did they end up adding the B1G network to the cable packages in NYC and DC areas? Because it sounds like that was 90% of what they were going for.
Isn't the btn payouts going from 25 mil to 44 mil in a year or two because of then being added?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Isn't the btn payouts going from 25 mil to 44 mil in a year or two because of then being added?

"Projected". In reality, it's whatever Fox wishes to give them.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2014, 01:01 PM
On topic: this post on the reality of UAB's financial calculation rips the Carr report to shreds and is almost 100% spot-on.

https://sports.vice.com/article/screw-the-math-uab-can-afford-football-so-why-is-it-choosing-otherwise

rokamortis
December 8th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Richmond, William & Mary and Elon are all further South than JMU. Adding a northern team would avoid splitting Villanova and Delaware in the divisions, that would be the reason for a Northern school. And the roots of the CAA Football Conference are the Yankee then A-10 Conferences. Not saying it would happen, but there would be reasons for it.

I have a hard time believing that CoC and UNCW would want us just simply due to proximity.

clenz
December 17th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Back off topic again...but I saw these numbers today and bring this back up.

Herder...if you're still bouncing around these parts....explain this...I thought the Summit=MVC and was bound to become a top flight basketball conference.

Rank
Conference
RPI
W - L
Win Pct

Big 12
80 - 13

Big East
74 - 22

SEC
81 - 40

Big Ten
106 - 34

ACC
103 - 33

Pac 12
81 - 30

Atlantic 10
69 - 50

American Athletic
54 - 35

Mountain West
52 - 41

Missouri Valley
48 - 37

Horizon League
38 - 43

West Coast
50 - 33

Colonial Athletic
41 - 39

Mid-American
53 - 36

Ivy League
37 - 35

Conference USA
55 - 55

Patriot League
40 - 49

Big West
33 - 42

Northeast
24 - 54

Big South
27 - 51

Big Sky
32 - 58

Southland
18 - 60

MAAC
26 - 50

Ohio Valley
38 - 62

Atlantic Sun
24 - 45

The Summit League
31 - 46

Sun Belt
30 - 39

Southern
26 - 47

Independent
4-7

America East
25 - 53

Western Athletic
20 - 51

SWAC
6-73

MEAC
22 - 84

So...the MVC is still a top 10 league and the Summit down at 26.

The OOC season is 95% over. There won't be a lot of conference movement at this point.

The highest rated Summit team would be 7th in the MVC.

Back to letting this thread die.

birdsflyhigh
December 17th, 2014, 05:08 PM
With the fairly recent departure of Creighton, it's great to see the MVC maintaining top 10 in college hoops conferences. Looks like the Valley still has a shot to climb up to #8 before the MVC showdowns begin.

The WSU Shockers, UNI Panthers, Evansville Purple Aces and the Illinois State Redbirds are all shaping up to make it yet another crazy intense Valley hoops season...LOVE IT! :)

Thanks for posting that Clenz.

dbackjon
December 17th, 2014, 05:17 PM
With the fairly recent departure of Creighton, it's great to see the MVC maintaining top 10 in college hoops conferences. Looks like the Valley still has a shot to climb up to #8 before the MVC showdowns begin.

The WSU Shockers, UNI Panthers, Evansville Purple Aces and the Illinois State Redbirds are all shaping up to make it yet another crazy intense Valley hoops season...LOVE IT! :)

Thanks for posting that Clenz.

Unfortunately, the bottom of the MVC is very, very bad. The MVC has lost more games to teams from conferences outside the top 11 than any other top 11 conference.

Only UNI (3 wins), Wichita (4 wins), Evansville (2 wins) and ISUr (1 win) have wins against other top 11 conferences, which is less than the Big West and C-USA have, and only one more than the Big Sky has.

clenz
December 17th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Unfortunately, the bottom of the MVC is very, very bad. The MVC has lost more games to teams from conferences outside the top 11 than any other top 11 conference.

Only UNI (3 wins), Wichita (4 wins), Evansville (2 wins) and ISUr (1 win) have wins against other top 11 conferences, which is less than the Big West and C-USA have, and only one more than the Big Sky has.
Yeah.

The bottom 4 are bad...still RPI a head of the summit.

What needs to be avoided has been an issue the past couple years - those bottom teams playing out of their minfmds against the top 3 or 4 amd pulling out 3 or 4 of their 5 conference wina against those teams.

Evansville is notorious for this lately.

FCS has Woffed.
MVC has Evansvilled/Bradleyed...getting beat by a bottom RPI team at a crucial point in the season because they played theor best game to date while getting beat by 20 the game before and after