PDA

View Full Version : Round 1 attendance

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2014, 11:49 PM
UNI had 10,307.

tomq04
November 30th, 2014, 12:02 AM
espn says ATTENDANCE: 14,018 for Montana vs SD.

- - - Updated - - -

Only ATTENDANCE: 7,747 for Montana State, but upon watching the feed it was a blizzard and bloody cold.

stevdock
November 30th, 2014, 12:09 AM
According to ESPN:

Fordham 2442
EKU 1941
Richmond 4126
SHSU 4758
Montana 14018
JMU 13040
MSU 7747
UNI 10307

MTfan4life
November 30th, 2014, 12:23 AM
According to ESPN:
Fordham 2442
EKU 1941

While Montana was a little lower than I expected, those two numbers are just dreadful. Fordham vs. Sacred Heart had twice that many last season. Eastern Kentucky had a pretty good season and was playing a team from not too far away and they couldn't even draw 2,000? Only Butler beats them for worst attended game in FCS playoff history. In fact, even though EKU's stadium has a capacity of 20,000, they have had 2 of the 4 worst attended playoff games of all time just in the last 4 seasons. I know it's thanksgiving weekend, but it's the same for everyone else.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 30th, 2014, 12:51 AM
While Montana was a little lower than I expected, those two numbers are just dreadful. Fordham vs. Sacred Heart had twice that many last season. Eastern Kentucky had a pretty good season and was playing a team from not too far away and they couldn't even draw 2,000? Only Butler beats them for worst attended game in FCS playoff history. In fact, even though EKU's stadium has a capacity of 20,000, they have had 2 of the 4 worst attended playoff games of all time just in the last 4 seasons. I know it's thanksgiving weekend, but it's the same for everyone else.

I have to believe UK-Louisville going on at the same time didn't help. I wonder how many people in the Commonwealth knew EKU was even playing today.

blackbeard
November 30th, 2014, 01:37 AM
SHU had a good turnout but Fordham was a no show compared to last year. Both years I arrived to the campus about 10am, last year I was forced to park in the deck, this year the tailgate lot was only about 25% full at that time. Same weekend and weather conditions.

EKU_SAE
November 30th, 2014, 08:37 AM
I have to believe UK-Louisville going on at the same time didn't help. I wonder how many people in the Commonwealth knew EKU was even playing today.

The uk vs UofL game being moved to the last week of the season will kill playoff attendance from now on, especially years it's at uk, it's 20 miles away, and as much as I hate to say this, people will choose to go to or sit home and watch that game over my Colonels

NY Crusader 2010
November 30th, 2014, 08:55 AM
SHU had a good turnout but Fordham was a no show compared to last year. Both years I arrived to the campus about 10am, last year I was forced to park in the deck, this year the tailgate lot was only about 25% full at that time. Same weekend and weather conditions.

I guess I'm partly to blame! I went last year but couldn't make it this time because I went to the HC-Syracuse basketball game up at the Dome the night prior. Got tired around 11:30 Friday night and got a hotel room in Binghamton rather than drive all the way home to the Bronx. Weird regarding the turnout though as last year was a great atmosphere with both teams' fans really getting into the game. I know Fordham brought a lot of people up to West Point last week so maybe they didn't want to come out two weeks in a row. No excuse for that turnout though. Even listening to the game on the radio, it sounded like the crowd was louder when SHU scored than when Fordham did.

BluBengal07
November 30th, 2014, 06:41 PM
According to ESPN:

Fordham 2442
EKU 1941
Richmond 4126
SHSU 4758
Montana 14018
JMU 13040
MSU 7747
UNI 10307

whoa.xeyebrowx

Grizzlies82
November 30th, 2014, 07:11 PM
espn says ATTENDANCE: 14,018 for Montana vs SD.

- - - Updated - - -

Only ATTENDANCE: 7,747 for Montana State, but upon watching the feed it was a blizzard and bloody cold.

Weather conditions impacted attendance at both games. A storm front moved into parts of Montana Friday night and by Saturday was dropping snow across the entire state. Obviously that reduced the number of folks who chose to watch in the stands versus viewing it on TV. Yet the highway driving conditions drastically cut the number of fans who might have driven into both Missoula and Bozeman. Missoula was beautiful at kickoff (about 35 degrees and sunny). Yet it was a full blown snow storm by midway into the second quarter. I saw the end of the cat's game on TV and it looked to be about the same in Bozo (though probably colder, especially after the onside kick failed).

kdinva
November 30th, 2014, 08:01 PM
. I know it's thanksgiving weekend, but it's the same for everyone else.

Thanksgiving weekend is never a problem for the top-40 1-A programs.......it's a shame these eight facilities on Saturday weren't at least 80% filled.....

CasualFan
November 30th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Thanksgiving weekend is never a problem for the top-40 1-A programs.......it's a shame these eight facilities on Saturday weren't at least 80% filled.....
True, but the top-40 1-A are scheduled way in advance and mostly feature a rivalry...

Sader87
November 30th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Tournament is too big/long....attendance on Thanksgiving Weekend, particularly in the Northeast is almost always going to be bad. Many people are either traveling to see family/friends or have done their "football thing" by going to the high school game on Thanksgiving or are sick of watching football (NFL, college, high school etc) by Saturday.

kdinva
December 1st, 2014, 09:02 AM
True, but the top-40 1-A are scheduled way in advance and mostly feature a rivalry...

point taken.......

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2014, 09:11 AM
Weather conditions impacted attendance at both games. A storm front moved into parts of Montana Friday night and by Saturday was dropping snow across the entire state. Obviously that reduced the number of folks who chose to watch in the stands versus viewing it on TV. Yet the highway driving conditions drastically cut the number of fans who might have driven into both Missoula and Bozeman. Missoula was beautiful at kickoff (about 35 degrees and sunny). Yet it was a full blown snow storm by midway into the second quarter. I saw the end of the cat's game on TV and it looked to be about the same in Bozo (though probably colder, especially after the onside kick failed).

and somehow indoor football is an abomination.

GetEmGriz
December 1st, 2014, 10:43 AM
and somehow indoor football is an abomination.

The problem isn't the weather at the stadium, the problem is the weather and road conditions that keep people from getting to the stadium safe and alive. I'd assume the same would be true for North Dakota if a winter storm caused dangerous road conditions.

Sitting Bull
December 1st, 2014, 01:25 PM

Also, you have to expect every season ticket holder to buy a new game in less than a week's notice - and also expect that students, who usually get in free, also now spend $25 out of their own pocket - plus come back to campus during a break - to attend.

I'm surprised frankly the numbers for round 1 are as high as reported.

Rounds 2 and beyond will have students back on campus and more time for people to prep, certainly the seeds.

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2014, 01:35 PM
Tournament is too big/long....attendance on Thanksgiving Weekend, particularly in the Northeast is almost always going to be bad. Many people are either traveling to see family/friends or have done their "football thing" by going to the high school game on Thanksgiving or are sick of watching football (NFL, college, high school etc) by Saturday.
Thanksgiving weekend attendance is exactly why I liked the structure when it was expanded to 20 and now 24 teams. Prior to that with 16 team fields everyone played the weekend of Thanksgiving and everyone had crappy attendance accordingly. Having that extra week allows the schools hosting this week to have 2 full weeks to sell tickets and have a "normal" week for game week so I'd expect to see a good jump in attendance this weekend. I also like having the 2-3 week break in between the semis and the championship game to allow for fans to get tickets and travel accommodations and that wasn't something that happened until the field was expanded.

Griz23
December 1st, 2014, 01:38 PM
According to ESPN:

Fordham 2442
EKU 1941
Richmond 4126
SHSU 4758
Montana 14018
JMU 13040
MSU 7747
UNI 10307

does espn report on espn3 viewers? i watched fcs playoffs all day.

melloware13
December 1st, 2014, 02:29 PM
Round 1 Attendance by % of Venue Capacity (with weather given):
Northern Iowa: 10,307 - 63.1% (Dome)
Montana: 14,018 - 55.6% (Snow)
James Madison: 13,040 - 52.4% (Overcast)
Richmond: 4126 - 47.4% (Sunny)
Montana State: 7747 - 43.6% (Snow)
Sam Houston: 4758 - 37.8% (Sunny)
Fordham: 2442 - 34.9% (Cloudy)
Eastern Kentucky: 1941 - 9.7% (Cloudy)

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2014, 03:40 PM
The problem isn't the weather at the stadium, the problem is the weather and road conditions that keep people from getting to the stadium safe and alive. I'd assume the same would be true for North Dakota if a winter storm caused dangerous road conditions.

Maybe. I do remember a FM Beez basketball game that drew 1500 people to the Fargo Civic Center in 1996 or so. Bad weather isn't that big a travel deterrent.

Grizalltheway
December 1st, 2014, 04:19 PM
Maybe. I do remember a FM Beez basketball game that drew 1500 people to the Fargo Civic Center in 1996 or so. Bad weather isn't that big a travel deterrent.

It is when the game is Thanksgiving weekend, last weekend of hunting season, etc. Our QF game in 2011 against UNI drew 23,000 on a Friday night. It was cold as **** but the roads were clear.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2014, 04:24 PM
It is when the game is Thanksgiving weekend, last weekend of hunting season, etc. Our QF game in 2011 against UNI drew 23,000 on a Friday night. It was cold as **** but the roads were clear.

I looked it up. The only time NDSU has hosted a Thanksgiving week game was in 2010 against Robert Morris. It drew 12k. That day wasn't terrible, a high of 30.

I think if that game were outdoors, we'd have been looking at Montana St numbers.

Walkon79
December 1st, 2014, 04:41 PM
Round 1 Attendance by % of Venue Capacity (with weather given):
Northern Iowa: 10,307 - 63.1% (Dome)
Montana: 14,018 - 55.6% (Snow)
James Madison: 13,040 - 52.4% (Overcast)
Richmond: 4126 - 47.4% (Sunny)
Montana State: 7747 - 43.6% (Blizzard)
Sam Houston: 4758 - 37.8% (Sunny)
Fordham: 2442 - 34.9% (Cloudy)
Eastern Kentucky: 1941 - 9.7% (Cloudy)

FIFY!

PantherRob82
December 1st, 2014, 04:56 PM

It was cold as ****.

Catbooster
December 1st, 2014, 05:24 PM
It was cold at the game (My wife surprised me by making it to the end of the game - we live close enough that we just walk so she could have left easily).

Several casual fans I know didn't come after the temp dropped about 40 degrees in 3 or 4 hours leading up to tailgating time. Quite a few hard-core fans ended up not being there to watch it live because of the roads - fans that had to travel a fair distance. When roads have been warm, then drop to below zero and hard snow, the snow melts and then freezes making them very slick. There was at least one wreck outside of Helena that turned several people back as they would have had to wait for the tow truck to clear the highway.

Sader87
December 1st, 2014, 11:29 PM
It's a tough call....in theory I like the playoff system but it really doesn't work well in reality. Most playoff weeks in the quarter-final and semi-final rounds are smack dab in the end of the semester/final exam period. The weather in the Northeast and the Upper Plains in early/mid-December can often be horrific. Thanksgiving Weekend is a disaster for attendance.

No easy answer.....hate to say it, but I think the Ivies are more right than wrong in this instance.

Catbooster
December 1st, 2014, 11:34 PM
So because attendance is lower for the playoffs, you think it's better not to determine the national champion? I guess I'll have to disagree with you.

Although the crowds are smaller, they always seem to be way more into the game. Those smaller crowds have been some of the loudest in my experience.

Sader87
December 1st, 2014, 11:56 PM
The process is too long imo and ultimately not worth the payoff....

To be brutally honest, I'd be happy playing a BC or Syracuse tough (or upsetting them), beating both Harvard and Yale and winning the PL and having the season end in late November rather than go to Frisco.

Your mileage will vary probably....it is what it is.

citdog
December 2nd, 2014, 01:41 AM
The process is too long imo and ultimately not worth the payoff....

To be brutally honest, I'd be happy playing a BC or Syracuse tough (or upsetting them), beating both Harvard and Yale and winning the PL and having the season end in late November rather than go to Frisco.

Your mileage will vary probably....it is what it is.

That's just all kinds of dumb.

Sader87
December 2nd, 2014, 10:10 AM
That's just all kinds of dumb.

The thing is, neither Holy Cross nor the Citadel will probably be playing in mid-December anytime soon so it's mostly a moot point for about 80% of the schools at the FCS-level.

College football is a great sport to bring together alumni/students/community in the Fall....it really wasn't created to be extended to weekends into December and January.

I'm not saying HC (or the Citadel or anyone else) should deemphasize football, just that the regular season, against good/challenging OOC and league opponents, is enough without a long drawn out play-off system.