http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111614aab.html

Thank God

mtgrizzly
November 16th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Damn phone Stepping down

robsnotes4u
November 16th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Damn phone Stepping down

lol. Spell check is one of those things that is awesome, but only seems to work when you don't need it.xdrunkyx

NoDak 4 Ever
November 16th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Joe Glenn's gonna need a job soon.

dewey
November 16th, 2014, 08:07 PM
So Montana fans who is on your coaching list? I would think being one of the elite FCS programs, great fan support, tradition and facilities finding a coach that will bring you guys back shouldn't be too tough.

I wonder how big of a hit recruiting takes this year with the coaching change?

Dewey

Grizalltheway
November 16th, 2014, 08:16 PM
So Montana fans who is on your coaching list? I would think being one of the elite FCS programs, great fan support, tradition and facilities finding a coach that will bring you guys back shouldn't be too tough.

I wonder how big of a hit recruiting takes this year with the coaching change?

Dewey

Pay (or lack thereof) is the biggest issue in attracting a top guy. The guy that everyone would love to see (DD) makes 4x what we could pay him as a coordinator in the CFL.

clenz
November 16th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Amazing how quickly the shine wore off of him, isn't it?

USD thought their luck win over uni last year was going to springboard them to the top... Instead... Well... They are 1-14 in d1 games since that W... And 0fer in conference (0-5 to finish last year and 0-7 so far this year... About to be 0-8 this year)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

kdinva
November 16th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Will Muschamp is looking.......(just kidding)......the Griz will make a good hire...

NoDak 4 Ever
November 16th, 2014, 08:18 PM

USD thought their luck win over uni last year was going to springboard them to the top... Instead... Well...

Well USD is a lot like Mo State. No resources so they take what they can get. Joe Glenn is a hell of a coach as he has proven elsewhere.

Cleets
November 16th, 2014, 08:22 PM
I have absolutely ZERO faith in the new Athletic Director and President of the University of Montana to hire a worthy candidate
and I quite literally mean ZERO confidence

dewey
November 16th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Pay (or lack thereof) is the biggest issue in attracting a top guy. The guy that everyone would love to see (DD) makes 4x what we could pay him as a coordinator in the CFL.

How does the pay at Montana compare to other FCS schools? Is Engstrom trying to slowly drive Montana football into mediocrity? Does MT go after the D2 head coach from CSU Pueblo?

Dewey

Grizzlies82
November 16th, 2014, 08:55 PM
How does the pay at Montana compare to other FCS schools? Is Engstrom trying to slowly drive Montana football into mediocrity? Does MT go after the D2 head coach from CSU Pueblo? Dewey

Dewey, I'm shooting this off the cuff (so it's probably wrong) but I believe the coaches base pay is about $120 to $130M. Montana doesn't do the deals like NDSU with a cut of the gate etc... but does have a few incentives in the contract. Then add in a bit for doing a weekly coaches show and such and the U of MT coach may earn about $175 at max. Montana also has a handicap of state law prohibiting long term contracts (either two or three years is the most allowed?). Consequently the school can't use that as an inducement.

The program has a high profile for FCS. It has also been a stepping stone. We expect coaches to do well here. If they do as expected, after a few years they're ultimately gone for a much higher paycheck elsewhere. I would expect they'll seek prospects nationwide including successful DII coaches as well as FBS coordinators who want a shot to step up to head coach. Will be interesting to see who is in the mix.

centennial
November 16th, 2014, 08:58 PM
How does the pay at Montana compare to other FCS schools? Is Engstrom trying to slowly drive Montana football into mediocrity? Does MT go after the D2 head coach from CSU Pueblo?

Dewey
I am really surprised Delaney is only paid 160k. Probably top half of FCS. What happens with the money from 25k seat stadium? Unless UM can go upwards of 200 and probably into the 250-300k range top talent if going to be hard to buy. As an example Farley makes 296k, Klieman make 261 with the option to go to around 340, Stig at SDSU makes close to 200, YSU coach Wolford makes 250k.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 16th, 2014, 09:08 PM
How about someone like Marcel Yates, DC at Boise State? He has a darn good resume and seems ready to be a HC imo. Montana is a great gig imo. They should be able to attract a high quality coach if the administration is patient.

Delaney might not have been Rockne but overall he did a solid job. If the 'Griz beat the Bobcats on Saturday he will leave a track record worth real praise given the circumstance he stepped into.....

Grizalltheway
November 16th, 2014, 09:12 PM
I have absolutely ZERO faith in the new Athletic Director and President of the University of Montana to hire a worthy candidate
and I quite literally mean ZERO confidence

I can understand your lack of faith in Engstrom, but why the hate for Haslam?

Grizalltheway
November 16th, 2014, 09:13 PM
I am really surprised Delaney is only paid 160k. Probably top half of FCS. What happens with the money from 25k seat stadium? Unless UM can go upwards of 200 and probably into the 250-300k range top talent if going to be hard to buy. As an example Farley makes 296k, Klieman make 261 with the option to go to around 340, Stig at SDSU makes close to 200, YSU coach Wolford makes 250k.

While football is certainly a cash cow, the rest of our sports are, well, not.

SIUSalukiFan
November 16th, 2014, 10:07 PM

So is Bobby Hauck.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Damn phone Stepping down

How about you lay off the douchebagging a little bit?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2014, 10:20 PM
How about someone like Marcel Yates, DC at Boise State? He has a darn good resume and seems ready to be a HC imo. Montana is a great gig imo. They should be able to attract a high quality coach if the administration is patient.

Delaney might not have been Rockne but overall he did a solid job. If the 'Griz beat the Bobcats on Saturday he will leave a track record worth real praise given the circumstance he stepped into.....

This is dead on, good post.

F'N Hawks
November 16th, 2014, 10:23 PM

USD thought their luck win over uni last year was going to springboard them to the top... Instead... Well... They are 1-14 in d1 games since that W... And 0fer in conference (0-5 to finish last year and 0-7 so far this year... About to be 0-8 this year)

They don't have the depth to compete as season goes on. Mostly due to all the negative recruiting by UND that has affected his roster. xbawlingx

dudeitsaid
November 16th, 2014, 11:32 PM
Maybe there is no way around it, but I hate it when these kinds of announcements are made before the season is over, especially for teams with realistic postseason potential. It just seems to be a distraction. I don't know why it seems to happen this way. Maybe get the word out nationally sooner than later to generate interest. Whatever the reason, it just doesn't seem right to me.

veinup
November 17th, 2014, 12:01 AM
Farewell, Father Time.

mvemjsunpx
November 17th, 2014, 12:51 AM
So is Bobby Hauck.

Hauck's contract isn't up for 2 years. He also might get some leash given the erroneous, temporary APR ban they received that was totally the fault of the athletic department.

citdog
November 17th, 2014, 04:19 AM
MIKE KRAMER

mvemjsunpx
November 17th, 2014, 05:29 AM
MIKE KRAMER

Please no.

The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man he based his appearance on would be a more sensible choice. xcoffeex

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2014, 06:14 AM
They don't have the depth to compete as season goes on. Mostly due to all the negative recruiting by UND that has affected his roster. xbawlingx

I would believe Glenn over anyone from _nd's staff....xcoffeex

Bisonator
November 17th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Good luck to Coach Delaney in retirement and to the Griz on finding their next HC.

citdog
November 17th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Mike Ayers to Missoula!

BisonBacker
November 17th, 2014, 09:28 AM
This will be interesting to watch play out. I have no idea who's available and qualified but that is a high profile position at this level. Will be more than interesting to see who applies for it.

MR. CHICKEN
November 17th, 2014, 09:28 AM
20055....MAY AS WELL.....EMPLOY.....CLARK GRIZZWOLD..............:p......BRAWK!

Bisonator
November 17th, 2014, 09:30 AM
I wonder if "chuck the pigskin" guy applies?xlolx

BisonFan02
November 17th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Griz fans....do you guys think the hire leans towards a defensive coach/D coordinator or the offensive side?

Grizalltheway
November 17th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Griz fans....do you guys think the hire leans towards a defensive coach/D coordinator or the offensive side?

No idea, honestly. All I know for sure is that it's very unlikely that someone already on the staff will be promoted from within (which is a good thing, IMO).

BisonFan02
November 17th, 2014, 09:46 AM
No idea, honestly. All I know for sure is that it's very unlikely that someone already on the staff will be promoted from within (which is a good thing, IMO).

I would agree...how about a "CEO" style coach ala Bohl versus a more "hands on" coach? What do you guys want to see? I really think this could be a crossroads and a good chance to boost the program. All of the ingredients are there...

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 17th, 2014, 09:53 AM
I know some might think this is a silly idea, but I think Montana needs to give Beau Baldwin a call.

kalm
November 17th, 2014, 09:59 AM
I know some might think this is a silly idea, but I think Montana needs to give Beau Baldwin a call.

I won't be surprised if Beau applies... Just for the sake of leveraging his own contract as well as his assistants.

But with VA for another year as well as some experienced talent returning elsewhere next year, we will be a national contender again. I don't see him making an almost lateral move from a pay standpoint and a downward move regarding talent at this point.

dewey
November 17th, 2014, 10:00 AM

I have seen that posted before on other boards. What does EWU pay BB? Possibly even EWU's OC? On a different note it was different seeing Montana this year in a pro style I formation offense versus the typcial spread formation that they seemed to have run for years with a lot of success. Jordan Johnson seemed liked the perfect QB for the spread option, multiple recievers offense that MT used to run. Isn't that what they did during their semifinal run of 2011?

Dewey

Grizalltheway
November 17th, 2014, 10:03 AM
I have seen that posted before on other boards. What does EWU pay BB? Possibly even EWU's OC? On a different note it was different seeing Montana this year in a pro style I formation offense versus the typcial spread formation that they seemed to have run for years with a lot of success. Jordan Johnson seemed liked the perfect QB for the spread option, multiple recievers offense that MT used to run. Isn't that what they did during their semifinal run of 2011?

Dewey

Yes, that was Pflugrad's offense.

- - - Updated - - -

I won't be surprised if Beau applies... Just for the sake of leveraging his own contract as well as his assistants.

But with VA for another year as well as some experienced talent returning elsewhere next year, we will be a national contender again. I don't see him making an almost lateral move from a pay standpoint and a downward move regarding talent at this point.

I take it you haven't seen our '15 recruiting class? xcoffeex

kalm
November 17th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Yes, that was Pflugrad's offense.

- - - Updated - - -

I take it you haven't seen our '15 recruiting class? xcoffeex

I'll bet it's tied with everyone else in the country for best…class…ever!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 17th, 2014, 10:50 AM
I would agree...how about a "CEO" style coach ala Bohl versus a more "hands on" coach? What do you guys want to see? I really think this could be a crossroads and a good chance to boost the program. All of the ingredients are there...

That was Don Read. It works well.

Grizalltheway
November 17th, 2014, 10:54 AM
I'll bet it's tied with everyone else in the country for best…class…ever!

xlolxxnodx

But seriously, even without the new guys, we have a ridiculous stable of WRs and some solid RBs coming back. My biggest hope is that we land a head coach who isn't afraid (or too stubborn) to utilize them to their full potential.

kalm
November 17th, 2014, 11:35 AM
xlolxxnodx

But seriously, even without the new guys, we have a ridiculous stable of WRs and some solid RBs coming back. My biggest hope is that we land a head coach who isn't afraid (or too stubborn) to utilize them to their full potential.

I hope you do too. I like it when Nontana is good.

Grizzlies82
November 17th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Maybe there is no way around it, but I hate it when these kinds of announcements are made before the season is over, especially for teams with realistic postseason potential. It just seems to be a distraction. I don't know why it seems to happen this way. Maybe get the word out nationally sooner than later to generate interest. Whatever the reason, it just doesn't seem right to me.

You're probably right an announced retirement during the season can be a distraction but I think the timing in this case is appropriate. Coach Delaney had already previously retired. He was brought in to serve as an interim coach when the administration unexpectedly decided to fire coach Pflugrad after spring ball. So everyone knew Delaney was 'temporary', was in his seventies, and had already retired once. He received three one year contracts. He did what he was brought in to do. Now his imminent re-retirement isn't "some day soon" it is a known fact as of the end of this season. This removes the lingering uncertainty of when, and allows the University ample time to conduct a proper search for a new coach. He is well respected by the kids on the team but I don't think they will be so upset he's not coming back that it will impact their play through the end of this season. If anything they'll want to send him out with their best.

Silenoz
November 17th, 2014, 12:46 PM
The players and recruits have known about this for awhile

mtgrizzly
November 19th, 2014, 09:52 PM
http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/uw-whitewater-coach-ex-griz-pease-interested-in-um-football/article_98abe987-2bff-551c-8f7b-929fa1817cf6.html

Looks like a couple of quality coaches have started to express interest.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2014, 11:18 PM
http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/uw-whitewater-coach-ex-griz-pease-interested-in-um-football/article_98abe987-2bff-551c-8f7b-929fa1817cf6.html

Looks like a couple of quality coaches have started to express interest.

he would be a quality guy I think. One thing which I don't know if it would or would not affect his chances really is that he has ruffled feathers around Missoula with some people and it may not work for him in that regard.

As far as a coach goes, I ain't looking for a nice guy I'm looking for one that keeps young fellers in line and makes em' better men when leaving UM. If he does that and picks up some good wins along the way I don't care who he's pissed off.

mtgrizzly
November 19th, 2014, 11:54 PM
he would be a quality guy I think. One thing which I don't know if it would or would not affect his chances really is that he has ruffled feathers around Missoula with some people and it may not work for him in that regard.

As far as a coach goes, I ain't looking for a nice guy I'm looking for one that keeps young fellers in line and makes em' better men when leaving UM. If he does that and picks up some good wins along the way I don't care who he's pissed off.

+1

veinup
November 20th, 2014, 10:30 AM
i think our sights should be aimed a little higher than "picking up some good wins".

Grizalltheway
November 20th, 2014, 10:36 AM
i think our sights should be aimed a little higher than "picking up some good wins".

Are playoff or national title game wins not considered "good"?

veinup
November 20th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Are playoff or national title game wins not considered "good"?

I'd definitely consider those to be good. :)

ursus arctos horribilis
November 20th, 2014, 12:42 PM

I'm fine with where my sights are set. I enjoy victories as much as the next guy as long as we aren't getting into the area where the young men in the program aren't focused on being good members of the team and the community. If we got that covered then yes by all means let's win em' all at that point.

veinup
November 20th, 2014, 03:45 PM
I'm fine with where my sights are set. I enjoy victories as much as the next guy as long as we aren't getting into the area where the young men in the program aren't focused on being good members of the team and the community. If we got that covered then yes by all means let's win em' all at that point.

I definitely understand where you're coming from. I don't want a team of criminal jerkoffs either. At the same time I want UM to take the Sky back. It's not necessarily an either/or thing.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 20th, 2014, 04:14 PM
I definitely understand where you're coming from. I don't want a team of criminal jerkoffs either. At the same time I want UM to take the Sky back. It's not necessarily an either/or thing.

Of course it isn't. Just need one to take priority over the other and hope the other comes along with it. Sort of why I wouldn't mind a hard ass coach but then we'd probably have some embarrassing asshat of a kicker write his mommy that coach wasn't nice to him.

Don't care what mvem thinks about Kramer that dude would be my #1 choice. He was a coach and teacher in high school and I have faith in his way of doing things.

citdog
November 20th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Of course it isn't. Just need one to take priority over the other and hope the other comes along with it. Sort of why I wouldn't mind a hard ass coach but then we'd probably have some embarrassing asshat of a kicker write his mommy that coach wasn't nice to him.

Don't care what mvem thinks about Kramer that dude would be my #1 choice. He was a coach and teacher in high school and I have faith in his way of doing things.

Why does it have to be an asshat kicker?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 20th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Why does it have to be an asshat kicker?

Because there is no other kind of kicker.

Bisonoline
November 20th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Because there is no other kind of kicker.

You beat me to it! xthumbsupx SAYYYYYyyyy wasn't he a...........................