PDA

View Full Version : 11/15: Bracketology

FargoBison
November 15th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Perhaps one of the most crazy weeks that I can remember, the bubble was a roller coaster. It went into this week as a lion and at the end of the week it is a lamb. Bethune-Cookman and SFA are not strong teams, but could very well find themselves in the field should they win their final game.

The Field
SFA at Montana State vs 1. NDSU
Sacred Heart at JMU vs 8. Fordham

SDSU at SHSU vs 5. EWU
Bethune-Cookman at Chattanooga vs 4. JSU

SELA at UNI vs 6. ISUR
Richmond at North Carolina A&T vs 3. CCU

Indiana State at EKU vs 7. Nova
San Diego at Montana vs 2. UNH

Autobids(11): EWU, CCU, UNH, NC A&T, NDSU, Sacred Heart, Jacksonville State, Fordham, San Diego, Chattanooga and SHSU
At Large(13): ISUR, Nova, UNI, SELA, SDSU, JMU, Indiana State, Richmond, EKU Montana, Montana State, Bethune-Cookman, SFA

Bubble: William and Mary, YSU, NAU, Bryant, Bucknell

Sports Network (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=778970)

Indiana State-Montana State winner at No. 1 seed North Dakota State
San Diego-Montana winner at No. 8 seed Chattanooga

Sacred Heart-James Madison winner at No. 5 seed Jacksonville State
Southeastern Louisiana-South Dakota State winner at No. 4 seed Illinois State

Eastern Kentucky-Sam Houston State winner at No. 6 seed Eastern Washington
William & Mary-North Carolina A&T winner at No. 3 seed Coastal Carolina

Bucknell-Northern Iowa winner at No. 7 seed Villanova
Bryant-Fordham winner at No. 2 seed New Hampshire

Chris Lang(Lynchburg News and Advance)
(http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/chris_lang_blog/fcs-playoff-watch-one-week-to-go/article_c0b36de0-6da8-11e4-9297-5fe6102534f1.html)
Bryant-Fordham winner at #1 New Hampshire
UR/W&M-NCA&T winner at #8 Chattanooga

NAU-SELA winner at #4 Jacksonville State
SHSU-UNI winner at #5 Eastern Washington

SHU-JMU winner at #3 Coastal Carolina
SDSU-Montana winner at #6 Illinois State

USD-MSU winner at #2 North Dakota State
ISU-EKU winner at #7 Villanova

NoBowls.com (http://nobowls.com/)
http://nobowls.com/images/week12.png

College Sports Madness (http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fcs-football/bracketology)
Sacred Heart at Fordham vs 1. UNH
SHSH at JMU vs 8. Chattanooga

SELA at UNI vs 5. EWU
SDSU at Montana St vs 4. Jax State

Richmond at Indiana State vs 3. CCU
SFA at Montana vs 5. Illinois State

NC A&T at EKU vs 7. Villanova
San Diego at Idaho State vs 2. NDSU

BisonTru
San Diego @ South Dakota St. vs. #1 North Dakota St.
Sacred Heart @ James Madison vs. #8 Fordham

SE Louisiana @ Chattanooga vs. #4 Jacksonville St.
Northern Iowa @ Montana vs. #5 Eastern Wash.

NC A&T @ Richmond vs. #3 Coastal Carolina
Indiana St. @ E Kentucky vs. #6 Illinois St.

Stephen F. Austin @ Montana St. vs. #7 Villanova
Bryant @ Sam Houston St. vs. #2 New Hampshire

First Four Out: Bethune-Cookman, Bucknell, Youngstown St., William & Mary

Next Four: Idaho St., Liberty, McNeese St., Northern Ariz.

Dom Izzo(WDAY Fargo)'s bracket
(https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/534585085966970880)
SDSU at Montana State vs 1. NDSU
San Diego at SHSU vs 8. Chatty

EKU at UNI vs 5. EWU
Richmond at Indiana State vs 4. Illinois State

Bucknell at Bryant vs 3. CCU
NC A&T at SELA vs 6. JSU

JMU at Montana vs 7. Nova
Sacred Heart at Fordham vs 2. UNH

LFN's Bracket
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sDU6-bMXDOU/VG0txxih0uI/AAAAAAAAAr0/Bf3QyCwKB4s/s1600/FCSPlayoff11192014.png

UNI Pike
November 15th, 2014, 11:15 PM
If UNI wins out, do they merit seed discussion? I'm torn.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Why Bethune-Cookman over Bryant or Bucknell?

FargoBison
November 15th, 2014, 11:16 PM
The #8 seed could be quite the battle if Fordham loses to Army.

The last time in is really just a mess. SFA did beat SELA which is a really nice win for them, they have no terrible losses like NAU has. Bryant and Bucknell both suffer from a lack of an eye catching win but if a few teams falters I think they could have a solid shot.

FargoBison
November 15th, 2014, 11:19 PM

FBS win is still in their back pocket, better win than either of those two have.

But I could see the committee going the other way, it is very close.

gotts
November 15th, 2014, 11:19 PM

The last time in is really just a mess. SFA did beat SELA which is a really nice win for them, they have no terrible losses like NAU has. Bryant and Bucknell both suffer from a lack of an eye catching win but if a few teams falters I think they could have a solid shot.

Trying to project the field this week was hard. Could have made a better argument for a 16 team field than trying to fill the last 4-5 spots.

FargoBison
November 15th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Trying to project the field this week was hard. Could have made a better argument for a 16 team field than trying to fill the last 4-5 spots.

Yep, the bubble completely collapsed, if a few teams I have in get upset next week it could get really ugly.

smilo
November 15th, 2014, 11:23 PM
If Southern Illinois wins next week, they've got to be in. Those last three teams + SHSU have no business over them. Obviously, I have Youngstown in too.

RabidRabbit
November 15th, 2014, 11:24 PM
UNI would merit discussion, but 11-1 Fordham is the other main choice. Likely to have two MVFC seeds beside the Panthers, so IMHO, UNI gets left out of seeds.

Any precedent for 1 league to get 3 seeds, or even 2 during days of only 4 seeds?

clenz
November 15th, 2014, 11:24 PM
If Southern Illinois wins next week, they've got to be in. Those last three teams + SHSU have no business over them. Obviously, I have Youngstown in too.
SIU can only finish with 6 d1 wins and would be just 2-4 in their last 6 games of the season...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sycamore62
November 15th, 2014, 11:26 PM
I'd like to see ISUb feed into ISUr. That may only happen if I'm invited into the committee

clenz
November 15th, 2014, 11:26 PM
I'd like to see ISUb feed into ISUr. That may only happen if I'm invited into the committee
Wouldn't mind uni getting them for a seed draw either, if uni isn't a seed

Sycamore62
November 15th, 2014, 11:28 PM
Wouldn't mind uni getting them for a seed draw either, if uni isn't a seed

By then the job rumors will definitely be swirling for Coach Ron Swanson or Brock Spack

RabidRabbit
November 15th, 2014, 11:32 PM

Sorry, SIU with their NAIA game cannot get to 7 D-I wins. They're toast. YSU wins in Fargo, that along with SDSU win are the landmark W's. Given how many other teams collapsed out of the bubble today, an 8-4 YSU would likely be in.

SHSU is likely to be the Southland auto-bid. Without the auto-bid, don't think SHSU makes it in.

hebmskebm
November 15th, 2014, 11:35 PM
I honestly don't think both Montana and Montana State get in. Big Sky is a two bid conference this year: EWU and the winner of UM/MSU.

RabidRabbit
November 15th, 2014, 11:35 PM
Lierty will be out without auto-bid following Chuck So loss today.

smilo
November 15th, 2014, 11:36 PM
Sorry, SIU with their NAIA game cannot get to 7 D-I wins. They're toast. YSU wins in Fargo, that along with SDSU win are the landmark W's. Given how many other teams collapsed out of the bubble today, an 8-4 YSU would likely be in.

SHSU is likely to be the Southland auto-bid. Without the auto-bid, don't think SHSU makes it in.

Does NAIA not count the same as a D2 win as in it will count for the 7th win for eligibility purposes?
YSU should be in without a win in Fargo despite losing their last 3. I hope they pull it off, but they deserve to make it. I always thought they were a bit below UNI, SDSU, and ISU-b, but they are clearly better than the heap of garbage on the bubble.

And "likely" is a strong word for SHSU. I'd call it 50-50 chance especially after the Big Sky and MEAC played out completely as I expected at the beginning of the week - hopefully SLC does as well.

FargoBison
November 15th, 2014, 11:37 PM
I honestly don't think both Montana and Montana State get in. Big Sky is a two bid conference this year: EWU and the winner of UM/MSU.

If Montana wins....Is the committee going to pick Bryant, NAU or Bucknell over Montana State?

Montana has to win that game, otherwise they are done. But MSU I am not sure about.

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2014, 11:38 PM

Don't tease us. We are done. Beating Ill State would be fun, but it won't get us in the field, although there will be worse teams who do make it.

RabidRabbit
November 15th, 2014, 11:40 PM
IMHO, 2 MVFC teams locked into the play-offs based on all the upsets today, even if they fall next week, UNI, and ISU-B. Too many quality wins, and no bad losses for each of these two teams.

Sycamore62
November 15th, 2014, 11:41 PM
IMHO, 2 MVFC teams locked into the play-offs based on all the upsets today, even if they fall next week, UNI, and ISU-B. Too many quality wins, and no bad losses for each of these two teams.

I just can't agree unless the bubble takes a huge hit. The WIU game concerns me. They have been competing in a lot of games.

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2014, 11:43 PM
IMHO, 2 MVFC teams locked into the play-offs based on all the upsets today, even if they fall next week, UNI, and ISU-B. Too many quality wins, and no bad losses for each of these two teams.No bad losses unless either would lose next week. Which is the absolutely worst time for a bad loss.

hebmskebm
November 15th, 2014, 11:46 PM
If Montana wins....Is the committee going to pick Bryant, NAU or Bucknell over Montana State?

Montana has to win that game, otherwise they are done. But MSU I am not sure about.

In a normal year I'd agree. But the Big Sky is really, really down this year (and I say that as someone who enjoys watching EWU). I think EWU is seeded and plays the winner of USD/Brawl of the Wild winner, and the unseeded MVFC teams plays Southland and OVC teams in the first round.

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2014, 11:48 PM
Does NAIA not count the same as a D2 win as in it will count for the 7th win for eligibility purposes?
YSU should be in without a win in Fargo despite losing their last 3. I hope they pull it off, but they deserve to make it. I always thought they were a bit below UNI, SDSU, and ISU-b, but they are clearly better than the heap of garbage on the bubble.

And "likely" is a strong word for SHSU. I'd call it 50-50 chance especially after the Big Sky and MEAC played out completely as I expected at the beginning of the week - hopefully SLC does as well.

D2 wins don't count either. xthumbsupx

JMUNJ08
November 15th, 2014, 11:49 PM
JMU feeding into Fordham? Sign me up!

With all the bubble woes, I think the winner of Richmond/ W&M is a shoe in as they either would have 8 D1 wins which ALOT of bubble teams are trying to make cases with just 6...

CAA gets 4 in!!!

RabidRabbit
November 15th, 2014, 11:50 PM

NAIA and D-III don't count. Not even partially like a D-II does.

SHSU would be SLC auto if they win next week, SFA beats NW St, and SELA wins. So you're right it's 50/50 that SHSU get auto. But, I'd say that if they tie SELA record wise (co-champ) they may get selected any way. However, SIU isn't making the play-offs. SDSU won't make play-offs if USD beats them, and for the same issue, a lower level home game.

tribe_pride
November 15th, 2014, 11:54 PM

Agreed.

I think right now locked in are
As autobids: Sacred Heart, Jax St., Fordham, San Diego, Chatty

As either at large or autobids:
Big Sky: EWU and Montana St./Montana winner (maybe Montana State even with a loss but not 100% sold yet)
Big South: Coastal
CAA: UNH, Nova, JMU, and UR/Tribe winner
MVC: NDSU, Illinois St, UNI, Indiana State
SLC: SELA

Add to that the MEAC winner and there are 6 spots open for about 10 or 11 teams.

lionsrking2
November 16th, 2014, 12:02 AM
NAIA and D-III don't count. Not even partially like a D-II does.

SHSU would be SLC auto if they win next week, SFA beats NW St, and SELA wins. So you're right it's 50/50 that SHSU get auto. But, I'd say that if they tie SELA record wise (co-champ) they may get selected any way. However, SIU isn't making the play-offs. SDSU won't make play-offs if USD beats them, and for the same issue, a lower level home game.

IMO, Sam Houston is a lock, regardless, as long as they beat UCA. No way they are left out as co-champs, even if they don't get autobid.

robsnotes4u
November 16th, 2014, 12:08 AM

If Montana State wins they would be in, but if Montana wins then that opens up a whole new discussion. Montana would have beaten one team with a winning record.

Bisonwinagn
November 16th, 2014, 12:10 AM
There is no precedent for any 5 loss team getting in and I don't see it happening this year even if they are better than a 4 loss team. Still need to use that as a guideline.

chattownmocs
November 16th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Perhaps one of the most crazy weeks that I can remember, the bubble was a roller coaster. It went into this week as a lion and at the end of the week it is a lamb. Bethune-Cookman and SFA are not strong teams, but could very well find themselves in the field should they win their final game.

The Field

SDSU at SHSU vs 5. EWU
Bethune-Cookman vs Chattanooga vs 4. JSU

SELA at UNI vs 6. ISUR

Autobids(11): EWU, CCU, UNH, NC A&T, NDSU, Sacred Heart, Jacksonville State, Fordham, San Diego, Chattanooga and SHSU
At Large(13): ISUR, Nova, UNI, SELA, SDSU, JMU, Indiana State, EKU, Montana State, Richmond, Montana, Bethune-Cookman, SFA

Are you actually pretending to know what you are talking about, or is this just your opinion? Because its dumb.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2014, 12:21 AM
Are you actually pretending to know what you are talking about, or is this just your opinion? Because its dumb.

Sorry that I didn't give Chatty the #1 seed...But seriously what are your issues? Do you have something to bring to the table or are you just going to make loud noises from the peanut gallery?

chattownmocs
November 16th, 2014, 12:22 AM
Sorry that I didn't give Chatty the #1 seed...

No for real, is this a projection or opinion?

FargoBison
November 16th, 2014, 12:25 AM

It is both my opinion of how the field would be set and a projection of how next week's games will go.

melloware13
November 16th, 2014, 12:26 AM
UNI would merit discussion, but 11-1 Fordham is the other main choice. Likely to have two MVFC seeds beside the Panthers, so IMHO, UNI gets left out of seeds.

Any precedent for 1 league to get 3 seeds, or even 2 during days of only 4 seeds?
CAA and Big Sky both got 2 in 2010, with #1 App State as the only seed outside of those leagues (#2 W&M, #3 UD, #4 MSU, #5 EWU)

tribe_pride
November 16th, 2014, 12:30 AM
There is no precedent for any 5 loss team getting in and I don't see it happening this year even if they are better than a 4 loss team. Still need to use that as a guideline.

Not saying you are wrong but remember that this is only the 2nd year when there are 24 teams and there is a 12 game schedule this year (like last year). I know there were none selected last year with 5 losses but that is only 1 year with this size field.

chattownmocs
November 16th, 2014, 12:31 AM
It is both my opinion of how the field would be set and a projection of how next week's games will go.

So is it based on previous years or not?

FargoBison
November 16th, 2014, 12:33 AM
So is it based on previous years or not?

Yes in some ways it is. We know the committee wants to take teams with at least 7 DI wins, can't have more than four losses, FBS wins can be an ace in the hole, etc. It is looking at their past decisions.

But as for the teams themselves, it is all this season. I don't really care who beat who last year.

lionsrking2
November 16th, 2014, 01:38 AM

The Field

SDSU at SHSU vs 5. EWU

SELA at UNI vs 6. ISUR

At Large(13): ISUR, Nova, UNI, SELA, SDSU, JMU, Indiana State, Richmond, EKU Montana, Montana State, Bethune-Cookman, SFA

We'll likely get a home game with our bid package and there's a decent chance we'll be the 8 seed.

Twentysix
November 16th, 2014, 02:10 AM
We'll likely get a home game with our bid package and there's a decent chance we'll be the 8 seed.

The match ups are drawn first, then the non-seeded home games are established by head to head bid comparison. You could have the 2nd highest bids placed in the entire field, but if you are matched up against the #1 bidder, you are still the away team. I'm not saying you are wrong, just giving you something to consider.

chattownmocs
November 16th, 2014, 02:10 AM
Yes in some ways it is. We know the committee wants to take teams with at least 7 DI wins, can't have more than four losses, FBS wins can be an ace in the hole, etc. It is looking at their past decisions.

But as for the teams themselves, it is all this season. I don't really care who beat who last year.

Who beat who last year? Wtf are you talking about. Stfu. This is stupidity at highest level. Gtfo

Twentysix
November 16th, 2014, 02:12 AM
Who beat who last year? Wtf are you talking about. Stfu. This is stupidity at highest level. Gtfo

Go home, you are drunk.

blackbeard
November 16th, 2014, 05:42 AM

No way BCU should get a bid over a 9-2 Bryant. BCU looked horrible Thursday night, played poor late in the season, and lost to a weak opponent. Bryant's losses are on the road at Liberty and Sacred Heart.

wmmii
November 16th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Looks like W&M game at home vs Richmond will be play in game. Kickoff at 7:30pm on Saturday!

Either team will end at 8-4. Tribe would have losses to Nova, JMU, UNH, VATech and were leading against both Nova and JMU going into 4th Q. Richmond beat Nova but has lost two since at Maine plus blow out senior day lost yesterday to JMU.

Both teams are beat up as Spiders have lost starting Q and Tribe has badly injured O line with two more starters injured yesterday. Tribe D has gotten healthy and should be key to game along with having best running back in CAA.

WileECoyote06
November 16th, 2014, 07:37 AM
No way BCU should get a bid over a 9-2 Bryant. BCU looked horrible Thursday night, played poor late in the season, and lost to a weak opponent. Bryant's losses are on the road at Liberty and Sacred Heart.

The committee will just look at the loss as a conference road loss; which diminishes it's effect. Hampton is pretty terrible, but BCU still has a better win than anything else on the Bryant schedule (FBS win). Don't worry though, we're going to take out the Farmers next Saturday in Durham and then according to the MEAC tie-break rules, BCU would receive the autobid, anyway.

MTfan4life
November 16th, 2014, 07:47 AM
D2 wins don't count either. xthumbsupx

They do now.

LIONFAN07
November 16th, 2014, 08:00 AM
SFA is done after loss to ACU last night. Even if the beat NWST next week that would give them 8-4 but with a D2 win. 7 D1s wont do it for them even though they have some good wins. (SLU and @McNeese) 9-3 with 8 D1s was there best shot. If SAM loses to UCA next week Southland is a one bid league. I like Sams chances at Bowers. Only thing is UCA is coming off open week. So 2 weeks to prepare.

WrenFGun
November 16th, 2014, 08:14 AM
At this point, ultimately, some bad teams are going to get in.

If you ask me, the teams that are definitely in the field [15]:

EWU, Montana State, Coastal Carolina, UNH, Villanova, James Madison, NDSU, ISU-R, Sacred Heart, JSU, EKU, Fordham, Jacksonville, Chattanooga, SELA.

Win and their in [8]?

Montana, Liberty, Richmond/W&M, NC A&T, UNI, ISU-b, SDSU, SHSU, YSU

Of this list, I project all but Liberty and YSU to win, leaving two spots remaining for other teams, and none of those resumes look good. I think the committee is going to have to decide between the following junk for the final two spots:

Bucknell, Bryant, Samford [good lord], BCU, Idaho State, NAU.

IMO if you look at that way, I feel like NAU [EWU] and BCU [FBS] have the best wins of the bunch and would likely get in provided they win their final games.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2014, 08:20 AM
A week ago, you could have left Bucknell for dead. Now, with a win and Montana beating Montana State, they could be the last team in. What a course of events.

URMite
November 16th, 2014, 08:26 AM

The Field

SDSU at SHSU vs 5. EWU

SELA at UNI vs 6. ISUR

Two minor points, I think if we win Saturday we have a good chance to outbid NC A&T, and why is Chatty playing at a neutral site?

Panther-State
November 16th, 2014, 09:06 AM
This is stupidity at highest level. Gtfo

Yeah, we've all noticed. Stop talking until you can say something worthwhile

FargoBison
November 16th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Two minor points, I think if we win Saturday we have a good chance to outbid NC A&T, and why is Chatty playing at a neutral site?

Just to get Chattown going but seriously it is a typo...Chatty hosts that game.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Sports Network (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=778970)

Chris Lang(Lynchburg News and Advance)
(http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/chris_lang_blog/fcs-playoff-watch-one-week-to-go/article_c0b36de0-6da8-11e4-9297-5fe6102534f1.html)

jmrepak
November 16th, 2014, 10:00 AM

I'd be relatively happy with this bracket. I think the MVFC guys would want one more of their teams switched from the top to the bottom bracket. Otherwise you have 5 MVFC, 3 CAA with the assumption that W&M win next week, 3 BSC, 2 OVC and most importantly only one MEAC. I can live with all of that.

UNIFanSince1983
November 16th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Chris Lang (http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/chris_lang_blog/fcs-playoff-watch-one-week-to-go/article_c0b36de0-6da8-11e4-9297-5fe6102534f1.html)

Whoa he still has NAU in? There are THREE terrible losses on their resume. I know the bubble is weak, but you lose to SoDak, NoDak, and NoCo you don't deserve to be in at all!

Fordham
November 16th, 2014, 10:05 AM

We're going to be without Nebrich for that one as well. Not going to be easy for us, honestly.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Whoa he still has NAU in? There are THREE terrible losses on their resume. I know the bubble is weak, but you lose to SoDak, NoDak, and NoCo you don't deserve to be in at all!

Agreed, plus they beat EWU without VA. They get way too much mileage out of that win.

SFA or Bethune or Bucknell are much more deserving.

kalm
November 16th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Agreed, plus they beat EWU without VA. They get way too much mileage out of that win.

NAU, SFA, and Bryant are the last three in.

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2014, 10:33 AM
The committee will just look at the loss as a conference road loss; which diminishes it's effect. Hampton is pretty terrible, but BCU still has a better win than anything else on the Bryant schedule (FBS win). Don't worry though, we're going to take out the Farmers next Saturday in Durham and then according to the MEAC tie-break rules, BCU would receive the autobid, anyway.

According to the UNI AD, who is on the committee, that B-CU won't count as much as we are thinking it will because FIU is a playing terribly. What will count against Bethune will be their two losses in November against talent they should've beat, in the Committee's eyes.

Sycamore62
November 16th, 2014, 10:43 AM
The sports network has a lot of flights involved just looking at it from a isub eku and villanova standpoint. Id like isu eku to feed to isur but thats so i could drive to one of them

FargoBison
November 16th, 2014, 11:03 AM
NAU, SFA, and Bryant are the last three in.

Starting to like Bryant more and more. Would probably swap them with Bethune now that I think about it a bit more.

I think NAU loses to SUU next week, that team just isn't good. In my opinion their "good" win over EWU is just so overrated, no way EWU loses that game with VA.

PantherRob82
November 16th, 2014, 11:23 AM
They do now.

Kind of...

dwtime
November 16th, 2014, 11:42 AM
At this point, ultimately, some bad teams are going to get in.

If you ask me, the teams that are definitely in the field [15]:

EWU, Montana State, Coastal Carolina, UNH, Villanova, James Madison, NDSU, ISU-R, Sacred Heart, JSU, EKU, Fordham, Jacksonville, Chattanooga, SELA.

Win and their in [8]?

Montana, Liberty, Richmond/W&M, NC A&T, UNI, ISU-b, SDSU, SHSU, YSU

Of this list, I project all but Liberty and YSU to win, leaving two spots remaining for other teams, and none of those resumes look good. I think the committee is going to have to decide between the following junk for the final two spots:

Bucknell, Bryant, Samford [good lord], BCU, Idaho State, NAU.

IMO if you look at that way, I feel like NAU [EWU] and BCU [FBS] have the best wins of the bunch and would likely get in provided they win their final games.

Good take Wren, on my list there are a couple tweaks:

Definitely in the field [15]: EWU, Coastal Carolina, UNH, Villanova, James Madison, NC A&T, NDSU, ISU-R, Sacred Heart, JSU, EKU, Fordham, San Diego, Chattanooga, SELA.

Win and their in, lose and they are out (with one exceptions) [7]: Montana St.(lose and they are on the bubble), Liberty, Richmond or W&M, UNI, ISU-b, YSU, SHSU.

On the bubble no matter what: Montana, NAU (barely), Bethune-Cookman, SDSU, Bryant, Bucknell, SFA (barely).

I know putting SDSU on my bubble will cause controversy and in reality they 'will' win Saturday and will 'very likely' be the first bubble team in no matter what.
The only caveat that people seem to forget, SDSU will have only 7 D1 wins if they win Saturday (so essentially a 7-3 FCS record). Do they get in ahead of any possible 8 D1 win teams like Bethune-Cookman or Bryant or a 9 win team Bucknell? Yeah probably but nothing is certain, something to ponder before next Sunday. Montana is on my bubble no matter what for basically the same reason, if they beat MSU they will still only have 7 D1 wins and only the MSU win to hang their hat on. Montana St. goes on the bubble if they lose to Montana, again the 7 D1 win reason and only the Idaho St. win to hang their hat on. I will say that in my opinion if SDSU and Montana win Saturday, SDSU gets in before Montana or Montana St.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Two latest brackets....There is a buffet of bracketology on the first page if you want to look at all the brackets...

Nobowls.com bracket...

College Sports Madness (http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fcs-football/bracketology)

SELA at UNI vs 5. EWU

BisonTru
November 16th, 2014, 01:06 PM
My projected bracket:

San Diego @ South Dakota St. vs. #1 North Dakota St.

Sacred Heart @ James Madison vs. #8 Fordham

SE Louisiana @ Chattanooga vs. #4 Jacksonville St.

Northern Iowa @ Montana vs. #5 Eastern Wash.

NC A&T @ Richmond vs. #3 Coastal Carolina

Indiana St. @ E Kentucky vs. #6 Illinois St.

Stephen F. Austin @ Montana St. vs. #7 Villanova

Bryant @ Sam Houston St. vs. #2 New Hampshire

First Four Out: Bethune-Cookman, Bucknell, Youngstown St., William & Mary

Next Four: Idaho St., Liberty, McNeese St., Northern Ariz.

Grizalltheway
November 16th, 2014, 01:11 PM
If Montana State wins they would be in, but if Montana wins then that opens up a whole new discussion. Montana would have beaten one team with a winning record.

Sac St will end up .500 at worst.

clenz
November 16th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Two latest brackets....There is a buffet of bracketology on the first page if you want to look at all the brackets...

Nobowls.com bracket...

SELA at UNI vs 5. EWU

4 of 5 mvfc teams on same side and all scheduled to meet no later than the 3rd round in the no bowls bracket.

Damn that's rough

Bisonwinagn
November 16th, 2014, 01:57 PM
4 of 5 mvfc teams on same side and all scheduled to meet no later than the 3rd round in the no bowls bracket.

Damn that's rough

I think its highly expected the way the committee likes to force conference teams to play each other early in the playoffs.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2014, 02:11 PM

Damn that's rough

I usually like nobowls but six MVFC teams in the field? With that many teams it is very hard to spread them all out.

Southern Bison
November 16th, 2014, 02:19 PM
I think we could finally see 4-5 MVFC teams land in the playoffs...the strongest conference over the past few seasons is finally getting some respect.

R.A.
November 16th, 2014, 02:39 PM
The MEAC as a conference is getting stronger. No longer are the days where one or two schools, run the conference...

URMite
November 16th, 2014, 02:51 PM
I usually like nobowls but six MVFC teams in the field? With that many teams it is very hard to spread them all out.

The CAA had the same issue back when we had 5 of 16...

Jason Svoboda
November 16th, 2014, 04:05 PM

Damn that's rough

Ridiculous IMO. It's one way to administratively eliminate the ability for a conference to show how strong it is.

IMO, they should be split evenly between the brackets and that goes for any multi-bid league. That's one thing that the NCAA tournament selection committee does fantastically.

tribe_pride
November 16th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Ridiculous IMO. It's one way to administratively eliminate the ability for a conference to show how strong it is.

IMO, they should be split evenly between the brackets and that goes for any multi-bid league. That's one thing that the NCAA tournament selection committee does fantastically.

Regionalization. The NCAA tourney (bball) makes enough money that they can afford to send teams all over the place and spread out conferences. The FCS tourney not so much

JSUBison
November 16th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Regionalization. The NCAA tourney (bball) makes enough money that they can afford to send teams all over the place and spread out conferences. The FCS tourney not so much

I'd like to see those numbers if someone could find them. I still think there's a way to do this without breaking the bank.

UNHWildcat18
November 16th, 2014, 04:40 PM
The MVFC will NOT get 6(4-5) tops. The NEC will NOT get 2. just saying

Houndawg
November 16th, 2014, 04:44 PM

How much does the NCAA make, anyway? Are they not for profit?

IBleedYellow
November 16th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Seriously hope that NDSU doesn't have to play a bunch of Valley teams until the Semis... I want to see new competition!

Also, please put EWU in our quarters bracket. If UNI goes there we won't get a chance to play EWU AGAIN in the playoffs.

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

Jason Svoboda
November 16th, 2014, 05:01 PM

I understand the thought behind it. However, might as well have bowl games as it does not allow the best two teams to play for the title.

JayJ79
November 16th, 2014, 05:09 PM
I understand the thought behind it. However, might as well have bowl games as it does not allow the best two teams to play for the title.

meh. they seed the top 8, so regionalization doesn't affect them (supposedly).

kalm
November 16th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Seriously hope that NDSU doesn't have to play a bunch of Valley teams until the Semis... I want to see new competition!

Also, please put EWU in our quarters bracket. If UNI goes there we won't get a chance to play EWU AGAIN in the playoffs.

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

Yep, UNI would be a tough out. It would be interesting to watch them play a real offense.

CasualFan
November 16th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Meh. I think most FBS fans would much rather have the FCS system.

Bison56
November 16th, 2014, 05:24 PM
xflaggedx
Yep, UNI would be a tough out. It would be interesting to watch them play a real offense.

tribe_pride
November 16th, 2014, 05:28 PM
meh. they seed the top 8, so regionalization doesn't affect them (supposedly).

Agreed. They seed the top 8 so even if there are disputes on who the best teams are. The top 2 teams should be top 4 seeds with an outside chance at being 5 or 6 at worst meaning unlikely to meet before the semis.

Sycamore62
November 16th, 2014, 05:32 PM

Espn3 has replays

Bluestreak
November 16th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Seriously...you don't understand this?

Sycamore62
November 16th, 2014, 05:35 PM
How much does the NCAA make, anyway? Are they not for profit?

I think they are NFP

last I saw their budget is about $1B

NoDak 4 Ever
November 16th, 2014, 05:38 PM
I think they are NFP

last I saw their budget is about $1B

They are non-profit. Here are their latest financials.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/NCAA_FS_2012-13_V1%20DOC1006715.pdf

WrenFGun
November 16th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Espn3 has replays

Well played

dbackjon
November 16th, 2014, 08:45 PM

Probably true. But the bubble is very weak

dbackjon
November 16th, 2014, 08:47 PM

If those are are who NAU is up against NAU has as good a resume as those three

achrist70
November 16th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Looking at things I see 13 or 14 teams that fill the at large spots, of course I am assuming some wins with this, but those last 2-3 spots are really up for grabs it'll be interesting to see whether the selection committee takes a team from a lesser conference with a weaker schedule or a team with a mediocre record but have had a tougher schedule. That will also be interesting when looking at the seeds, Coastal Carolina is the only undefeated team in the nation, but I don't think anyone thinks (except for Coastal fans) think that they deserve the #1 seed.

ValleyTalk
November 16th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Only way YSU gets in is if they upset NDSU. If they play the way they did in the 3rd quarter yesterday, they will lose by 5-6 touchdowns. If they play the way they did in the 4th quarter, they can keep it close.

In the end, I fully expect YSU to lose and Eric Wolford to be removed as head coach. I am sure there are some programs out there that would be more than willing to give this guy a chance. I mean after the 3-8 start, he went: 6-5, 7-4, 8-4, and either 7-5 or 8-4 this year. Solid recruiter, but he is lacking when it comes to game-day coaching.

Grizzlies82
November 16th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Looking at things I see 13 or 14 teams that fill the at large spots, of course I am assuming some wins with this, but those last 2-3 spots are really up for grabs it'll be interesting to see whether the selection committee takes a team from a lesser conference with a weaker schedule or a team with a mediocre record but have had a tougher schedule. That will also be interesting when looking at the seeds, Coastal Carolina is the only undefeated team in the nation, but I don't think anyone thinks (except for Coastal fans) think that they deserve the #1 seed.

I'll stay out of the debate of what is deserved. Yet historically the committee rewards perfection with a great seed (regardless of the SOS question).
Winning them all may not get them the #1 (or #2) but I would not be shocked if it did.

Thumper 76
November 16th, 2014, 09:13 PM

I'll take SDSU, ISUr and ISUb for $500 Trebeck

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 16th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Only way YSU gets in is if they upset NDSU. If they play the way they did in the 3rd quarter yesterday, they will lose by 5-6 touchdowns. If they play the way they did in the 4th quarter, they can keep it close.

In the end, I fully expect YSU to lose and Eric Wolford to be removed as head coach. I am sure there are some programs out there that would be more than willing to give this guy a chance. I mean after the 3-8 start, he went: 6-5, 7-4, 8-4, and either 7-5 or 8-4 this year. Solid recruiter, but he is lacking when it comes to game-day coaching.

Youngstown should be in the playoffs more often than not. I lived in Austintown for year when I was young. I pull for the 'Guins in the MVFC.....

rokamortis
November 16th, 2014, 09:23 PM
I'll stay out of the debate of what is deserved. Yet historically the committee rewards perfection with a great seed (regardless of the SOS question).
Winning them all may not get them the #1 (or #2) but I would not be shocked if it did.

More or less my point of view. Using the metrics the committee has openly stated they use - mainly number of DI wins and SRS, I think we would have to be strongly considered for a high seed. That doesn't mean we will get one - the committee makes the ultimate decision and seeding will be political and likley have historical bias as well.

jmrepak
November 16th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Actually, before you start making assumptions, most Coastal fans will tell you that we don't expect a 1 seed. We are figuring on a reasonable argument for 2 or 3 but not 1.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 16th, 2014, 09:50 PM

What would you guys think about Mangino?

ValleyTalk
November 16th, 2014, 09:52 PM
He just left YSU last season for a bigger paycheck at Iowa State. With Tressel as President, I'm sure he can reach out to many to help find a young, competent, and capable coach to lead us back to the playoffs. Wolford will leave YSU with a winning record if he is canned, but that is not anywhere near good enough at YSU.

gotts
November 16th, 2014, 09:53 PM

Anybody with a vacation suite inside of a Golden Corral could make this happen.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 16th, 2014, 09:56 PM
He just left YSU last season for a bigger paycheck at Iowa State. With Tressel as President, I'm sure he can reach out to many to help find a young, competent, and capable coach to lead us back to the playoffs. Wolford will leave YSU with a winning record if he is canned, but that is not anywhere near good enough at YSU.

The reason I ask is because he's probably not getting a FBS job until he can prove he can handle it.

Anybody with a vacation suite inside of a Golden Corral could make this happen.

Get Mickey Monus on the line. He should be able to get that done.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2014, 06:17 AM
I'll take SDSU, ISUr and ISUb for $500 Trebeck

UNI would beat SDSU and ISU if they met again. ISU-r is a tougher match up for them. UNI's special teams and defense scored for them in the first game. Chances are that will not happen again.

Thumper 76
November 17th, 2014, 07:25 AM
UNI would beat SDSU and ISU if they met again. ISU-r is a tougher match up for them. UNI's special teams and defense scored for them in the first game. Chances are that will not happen again.
I was more responding to what kalm said about UNI facing a real offense. I do realize that UNI is playing much better, but I would argue it would depend on where UNI and SDSU played at, because SDSU is playing much better with Sumner at the helm.

achrist70
November 17th, 2014, 08:12 AM
You would have to assume that UNI would outbid SDSU for the right to host that game, although you never know

kalm
November 17th, 2014, 08:26 AM
I was more responding to what kalm said about UNI facing a real offense. I do realize that UNI is playing much better, but I would argue it would depend on where UNI and SDSU played at, because SDSU is playing much better with Sumner at the helm.

And I was responding in kind to IBY's post. Gawdam sensitive Valley fans...

CappinHard
November 17th, 2014, 11:37 AM
You must not be paying attention to how SDSU is playing now that Sumner is back and healthy (no, he was not ready to play @ NDSU). With Sumner, Zenner, Schneider, and Weineke all healthy, they are going to make some noise in the playoffs.

FargoBison
November 17th, 2014, 11:59 PM
San Diego at SHSU vs 8. Chatty

EKU at UNI vs 5. EWU

NC A&T at SELA vs 6. JSU

unigriff
November 18th, 2014, 12:04 AM
no way ISUr gets the 4 seed. sorry.

BisonTru
November 18th, 2014, 12:29 AM
San Diego at SHSU vs 8. SHSU

EKU at UNI vs 5. EWU

NC A&T at SELA vs 6. JSU

Pretty easy road for Sam Houston, San Diego then a scrimmage with themselves in the second round.

I think Chattanooga is the eight seed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FargoBison
November 18th, 2014, 12:35 AM
Pretty easy road for Sam Houston, San Diego then a scrimmage with themselves in the second round.

Just trying to get Chattown fired up...but seriously yeah it was supposed to Chatty just a typo.

WileECoyote06
November 18th, 2014, 06:04 AM

Why do you think that's not possible? Heck it wouldn't surprise me if ISUr was the 2 or 3 seed.

gobirds85
November 18th, 2014, 07:53 AM

What are you basing this statement on?

If you were to look at Massey and GPI ISUr should easily get a top 4 seed. 4-1 against ranked competition with our one loss coming on the road against a very tough UNI team. I just hope your AD can do a better job than the YSU AD did in advocating bids and seeds for the MVFC. The MVFC deserves 5-6 but we will be lucky to get 4 in. I could see us getting jacked on the seed. Very little surprises me after the last few years.

The MVFC Presidents and ADs need to push for a change in leadership for the conference. Patty V is not getting it done.

unigriff
November 19th, 2014, 03:42 PM
ISU - 5/6 seed. (No worries UNI won't get a seed, nor do I think they should really).

JMU2004
November 19th, 2014, 03:53 PM

Dom been drinking? They aren't flying JMU to Montana for the first round. Cost containment is rule #1.

veinup
November 19th, 2014, 04:08 PM
JMU @ Montana would cause a serious rift in my relationship, hope that game doesn't happen.

cpalum
November 19th, 2014, 04:16 PM
It's intriguing to me that both NAU and Idaho St both have 5 DI wins as of now and people have them on the bubble? I guess the logic is that at least 3 teams will get in from the BSC? Meanwhile Cal Poly has wins over MSU and Montana and can still finish with 7 DI wins and almost everybody says they have no chance?

Not that I find Cal Poly to be a playoff caliber team as of now but that is interesting

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2014, 05:58 PM
My bracketology this week:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2014/11/picking-fcs-playoff-bracket-11192014.html

Bucknell still not in, but close.

MTfan4life
November 19th, 2014, 06:17 PM
It's intriguing to me that both NAU and Idaho St both have 5 DI wins as of now and people have them on the bubble? I guess the logic is that at least 3 teams will get in from the BSC? Meanwhile Cal Poly has wins over MSU and Montana and can still finish with 7 DI wins and almost everybody says they have no chance?

Not that I find Cal Poly to be a playoff caliber team as of now but that is interesting

Losses. That's why. It's rare a team gets in the playoffs with 4 or more FCS losses. Neither of those teams have as many losses as Cal Poly. People get so obsessed with the number of wins, but the number of losses are just as important. Plus NAU has 6 D1 wins.

dudeitsaid
November 19th, 2014, 06:38 PM

Actually, SHSU definitely loses in the game against SHSU. That is a certainty!

jmrepak
November 19th, 2014, 08:45 PM

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2014/11/picking-fcs-playoff-bracket-11192014.html

No way an undefeated Coastal is a 7 seed.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 19th, 2014, 08:47 PM

They should be but they won't be

Bison56
November 19th, 2014, 08:48 PM
You're right I'd say 8 tops. xlolx

knucklehead
November 19th, 2014, 08:52 PM
But a 1 loss Coastal is.

jmrepak
November 19th, 2014, 08:55 PM
But a 1 loss Coastal is.
Nope. A loss will be all the committee needs to drop us from seeding all together.

cpalum
November 19th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Losses. That's why. It's rare a team gets in the playoffs with 4 or more FCS losses. Neither of those teams have as many losses as Cal Poly. People get so obsessed with the number of wins, but the number of losses are just as important. Plus NAU has 6 D1 wins.

Id didn't realize Abeline Chistian was FCS...my bad.

I'm guessing if Cal Poly had played 2 DII teams (ISU) or 1 DII team (NAU) they'd have fewer loses and more wins.

Seems like historically the committee has selected based much more on wins than loses. Further DII wins were historically not counted. You'd think an all DI schedule might count for something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackbeard
November 19th, 2014, 09:20 PM

No way Fordham gets a seed over Villanova - remember what happened when these 2 played?

lionsrking2
November 19th, 2014, 09:23 PM
No way Fordham gets a seed over Villanova - remember what happened when these 2 played?

Fordham isn't getting a seed.

dewey
November 19th, 2014, 10:12 PM

If this is the list of the seeds where should CCU be?

1. UNH
2. North Dakota State
3. Eastern Washington
4. Illinois State
5. Jacksonville State
6. Montana State
7. Coastal Carolina
8. Fordham

Fordham seeded over Villanova?
Fordham seeded over Chattanooga?
A 3 loss Montana State team over Villanova, CCU or Chattanooga?

Dewey

PantherRob82
November 19th, 2014, 10:33 PM
You would have to assume that UNI would outbid SDSU for the right to host that game, although you never know

The only way bids would come into play is if they met in the semis and neither was seeded.

PantherRob82
November 19th, 2014, 10:36 PM

No way Indiana State hosts Richmond.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Fordham isn't getting a seed.

If they beat Army and Nebrich is healthy for the playoffs the Rams have a good shot. Fordham was expected to be good and they've pretty much lived up to expectations minus those 60 minutes against Villanova. If those teams played tomorrow 'Nova is probably a 10 point favorite, not 44 points....

jmrepak
November 20th, 2014, 06:32 AM
If this is the list of the seeds where should CCU be?

1. UNH
2. North Dakota State
3. Eastern Washington
4. Illinois State
5. Jacksonville State
6. Montana State
7. Coastal Carolina
8. Fordham

Fordham seeded over Villanova?
Fordham seeded over Chattanooga?
A 3 loss Montana State team over Villanova, CCU or Chattanooga?

Dewey
Realistically? Bump them up to your 3 slot, put Jax St between EWU an Ill. St. and seed Nova over Fordham. Welcome to your 2014 seeds (barring any losses that is).

Fordham
November 20th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Here's a preview of the Fordham-Army matchup with the writer (from scout-Army) picks Army to win. http://army.scout.com/story/1482823-head-to-head-army-vs-fordham.

I do not expect a seed to come out of this game for us regardless. I'll be thrilled if it does but I think the combo of either the SoCon's lingering reputation or UNI's late season streak will keep us out of the running. Most important, we likely left our bye hopes on the field at Nova that day unfortunately. My money is on UNI. That said, who knows what will happen this weekend? There could still be some top teams that puke it up here at the end.

That said, it's amazing how important that 8 seed is. A bye allows Nebrich and Edmonds to heal up AND we get a home game for round 2. The alternative is a likely a tough rematch with the NEC winner followed by a trip to the frozen tundra of UNH in week 2. Such a contrast. No wonder chatt is flipping out. Same contrast exists for whoever gets that 8 seed and they're going to face a lot of vitriol from whoever feels they got snubbed regardless.

Sycamore62
November 20th, 2014, 08:10 AM

I wonder if he does these how he thinks they should be or how he thinks they will end up?

TypicalTribe
November 20th, 2014, 08:19 AM

I feel like the easiest set of matchups in the bracket would be Indiana State against Eastern Kentucky with the winner getting Chattanooga. Everything within a bus ride and the spots are about right with Chatty a 7 or 8 seed, Indiana State roughly in the 10-12 range and Eastern Kentucky down around #20 in the field. Seems like a no-brainer for the committee.

Sycamore62
November 20th, 2014, 08:25 AM
I feel like the easiest set of matchups in the bracket would be Indiana State against Eastern Kentucky with the winner getting Chattanooga. Everything within a bus ride and the spots are about right with Chatty a 7 or 8 seed, Indiana State roughly in the 10-12 range and Eastern Kentucky down around #20 in the field. Seems like a no-brainer for the committee.

This or Illinois State.

I wonder if they make the bracket based on who they expect to win

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2014, 08:55 AM
the SoCon's lingering reputation

xlolx

I don't think an 8-4 3rd placed team from the MVFC can, or should, be a seed. I could, however, see 2 Big Sky seeds if Montana State and EWU win.

clenz
November 20th, 2014, 09:28 AM
xlolx

I don't think an 8-4 3rd placed team from the MVFC can, or should, be a seed. I could, however, see 2 Big Sky seeds if Montana State and EWU win.
UNI would be 8-2 in FCS competition with wins over 2 seeds.
MSU would be 8-2 with no wins over seeds and 2 best wins of 7-5 Montana and then 6 D1 win Idaho State

I highly doubt UNI would get a seed (unless they beat MSU about 60-3) but let's not act like MSU would be more deserving.

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2014, 09:39 AM
This or Illinois State.

I wonder if they make the bracket based on who they expect to win

Definitely, as much as they can. That is why you will see something like last year, but backfired on them

First Round was UM vs CCU. If they thought CCU was going to win, then the bracket would have been the winner of CCU/UM playing someone out east. You can see that throughout most games. If you are not a seeded BSC, or MVFC team you will almost be guaranteed a 2nd Game against a MVFC or BSC team if the committee believes you will win.

dbackjon
November 20th, 2014, 11:04 AM

NAU has six DI wins. Abilene Christian is DI. Plus, DII wins count now.

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2014, 11:36 AM
NAU has six DI wins. Abilene Christian is DI. Plus, DII wins count now. I understand your thought process. In the FCS manual they are considered counters. That is, towards your overall record. That has nothing to do with this from the manual.

3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, less thansix Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;

The post you answered is most likely a direct reflection of Committee Member, Mr. Dannen, YouTube video and radio interview with Kolpack.

CHIP72
November 20th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Nope. A loss will be all the committee needs to drop us from seeding all together.

Not necessarily IMO. Coastal would still have a better profile than Fordham IMO, even if the Rams lose a close game Army, and Fordham would still be in the seed picture if they lose close to Army. (The story changes if Fordham beats Army.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSouthFan
November 20th, 2014, 12:13 PM
I'm still baffled on how the Big South doesn't take at least 2. The MEAC isn't very good or clear-cut this year. The SoCon is having a down year, both of them will likely only take 1. How do you only take one team from a conference that is ranked #2 (6 teams or not), has a team that is 11-0 and ranked #1 in the nation, and only has one team with a losing record? I'm confused. Liberty hurt their chances bad with a loss to CSU, but shouldn't CSU be plugged in for a shot since they beat Liberty at this point? You're looking at a team that is 8-3, lost to the #1 team in the nation on the road AT Coastal, lost at SEC foe Vanderbilt by 1 point (two point conversion by Vandy), and just happened to slip up against Presbyterian (things happen). Granted, they probably won't beat UGA on Saturday, but is that resume not enough for the committee to throw some more southern teams in the mix? It could be a short trip to a MEAC school as a first round game. I don't believe it's smart to throw 4 and 5 teams from one conference in there, it just doesn't sit well with me. If the Big South was that great I wouldn't even like 4 or 5 of our teams in one playoff bracket. They have a hot team down there in Charleston blazing off of 3 straight wins (2 on the road), I believe they deserve a shot.

jmrepak
November 20th, 2014, 12:47 PM
I'm still baffled on how the Big South doesn't take at least 2. The MEAC isn't very good or clear-cut this year. The SoCon is having a down year, both of them will likely only take 1. How do you only take one team from a conference that is ranked #2 (6 teams or not), has a team that is 11-0 and ranked #1 in the nation, and only has one team with a losing record? I'm confused. Liberty hurt their chances bad with a loss to CSU, but shouldn't CSU be plugged in for a shot since they beat Liberty at this point? You're looking at a team that is 8-3, lost to the #1 team in the nation on the road AT Coastal, lost at SEC foe Vanderbilt by 1 point (two point conversion by Vandy), and just happened to slip up against Presbyterian (things happen). Granted, they probably won't beat UGA on Saturday, but is that resume not enough for the committee to throw some more southern teams in the mix? It could be a short trip to a MEAC school as a first round game. I don't believe it's smart to throw 4 and 5 teams from one conference in there, it just doesn't sit well with me. If the Big South was that great I wouldn't even like 4 or 5 of our teams in one playoff bracket. They have a hot team down there in Charleston blazing off of 3 straight wins (2 on the road), I believe they deserve a shot.
Sorry to disappoint, but I can't stand with you on this one. If CSU played an all D-1 schedule and ended 8-4 they would have a shot, but a win over a D2 and NAIA mean they are only a 6 win team. It's just not even close to going to happen. Even with their schedule if they beat Presby or Vandy they would probably be on the bubble even if they did make it in. If CSU wants a shot at the playoffs they need to drop the D2's and lower from their schedule, schedule one FBS money game, and put decent FCS competition on the OOC scheduling to make it happen. Liberty on the other hand would have been in if they win just one of the CSU, Ind. St. or UofR games. Since they didn't they've got to try to knock off a top 3 program to take the AQ to the playoffs. Even though the Big South has a reasonable argument to be considered a higher level conference this year, they will only get 1 in the playoffs as long as Coastal #TCOB.

TypicalTribe
November 20th, 2014, 12:49 PM
I think Charleston Southern is a good team and they've shown it against Liberty and Vanderbilt especially, but at the end of the season they'll have six DI wins and 5 of them are unimpressive (Campbell, Citadel, Charlotte, Monmouth, Gardner-Webb). Those teams have an average massey rating of 80. Unfortunately, their schedule panited them into a corner, although I do still think they have a shot if chaos ensues this weekend.

RabidRabbit
November 20th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Charleston South scheduled themselves out of the play-offs before the beginning of the season, if they didn't win the auto-bid. Playing two non D-I programs, 2 FBS (nearly always a loss, and close L only counts in hand grenades/horseshoes) L's. So without a game played, effectively, CSU had at best a 8-2 record, and the AQ for the Big South. They're not the AQ, and the only quality win, is a likely non-play-off team of Liberty.

If drop into 6 D-I's wins, maybe considered, but if down that far, then 7 MVFC teams are better/tougher. So the only way Big South gets two in, is if Liberty earns the AQ by beating Coastal.

jmrepak
November 20th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Charleston South scheduled themselves out of the play-offs before the beginning of the season, if they didn't win the auto-bid. Playing two non D-I programs, 2 FBS (nearly always a loss, and close L only counts in hand grenades/horseshoes) L's. So without a game played, effectively, CSU had at best a 8-2 record, and the AQ for the Big South. They're not the AQ, and the only quality win, is a likely non-play-off team of Liberty.

If drop into 6 D-I's wins, maybe considered, but if down that far, then 7 MVFC teams are better/tougher. So the only way Big South gets two in, is if Liberty earns the AQ by beating Coastal.
Imagine it is Armageddon, all of the planets align, it's exactly 5,000 years since the last apocalypse, its a full moon, it is friday the 13th even though games are played Saturday, Hell freezes over (which is a possibility with temps as low as they are in the Southeast this time of year) and pigs are flying and doing circles around the Goodyear blimp over Brooks Stadium. That being the case, Liberty beats Coastal and CSU beats Georgia between the hedges. Then maybe, just maybe, Big South would get 3 teams in. Otherwise, drive to Conway to watch the Chants as the only Big South representative in the playoffs.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 20th, 2014, 01:55 PM
There are just some conferences that aren't 2 bid worthy.

Before the 24 team field, this wasn't even a discussion.

kalm
November 20th, 2014, 04:24 PM
There are just some conferences that aren't 2 bid worthy.

Before the 24 team field, this wasn't even a discussion.

The MEAC last year?

MacThor
November 20th, 2014, 05:43 PM
The MEAC last year?

Every year.

Redbird Recon
November 21st, 2014, 06:35 PM
One prediction I wouldn't be scared to write in pen...
If Indiana State and Illinois State win tomorrow:
Indiana State @ Eastern Kentucky
Winner heads to seeded Illinois State
Both games would be bus trips.
The NCAA couldn't pass that up.

Sycamore62
November 21st, 2014, 06:59 PM
One prediction I wouldn't be scared to write in pen...
If Indiana State and Illinois State win tomorrow:
Indiana State @ Eastern Kentucky
Winner heads to seeded Illinois State
Both games would be bus trips.
The NCAA couldn't pass that up.

Did we just become best friends? I am positive (speculating) we didn't bid more to get the home game but I hope we did.

Redbird Recon
November 21st, 2014, 07:44 PM
Did we just become best friends? I am positive (speculating) we didn't bid more to get the home game but I hope we did.
I'd be shocked if Indiana State bid more than Eastern Kentucky.

Jason Svoboda
November 21st, 2014, 07:49 PM

We're coming in HOT...

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/07/16/woz-2.jpg

Wait, this isn't the Price is Right?

Sycamore62
November 21st, 2014, 08:21 PM

Id wonder who donated the money