PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 11

superman7515
November 8th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Remember to please take an extra minute or two to double-check your ballots before hitting submit this week. You can really make a difference in easing things up a little on those who have to check every ballot line by line to make sure there aren't any duplicates or obvious mix-ups. Watch out for those Jacksonville/Jacksonville State, Montana/Montana State, North Dakota/North Dakota State, South Dakota/South Dakota State, and New Hampshire/Robert Morris mix-ups. Okay, I can kinda understand that last one. The point being, if everyone takes two extra minutes to make sure they put teams where they want them and don't have any duplicates, then all of those minutes add up to hours saved by the guys pulling double-duty (for free) to pull this thing all together. I believe that things have improved quite a bit over the last few weeks, so kudos to all.

Off my soapbox now and back to your regularly scheduled program...

For the third straight week, three losses in the Top 10; including the nations longest winning streak being snapped, so shake-ups continue at the top. Five more losses from #11 to #18, and while there were only four losses for teams from #26 to #40, two of them were likely eliminated from the playoffs. Hopefully a little more clarity heading into the final few regular season polls.

For the most part, all of the games are complete. Still waiting on a recap of Sam Houston State's win over Incarnate Word, but every other game already has a recap entered into the links, not just a box score, so that may be helpful to see some games.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtKAORz8z6vdHBTNWlIVHk4aFRubzl1TmZyeUJlM Gc&usp=sharing

For anyone who doesn't remember:
Green - Reached our magical seven D1 win threshold (There are several green this week, so there are two shades of green. The color doesn't mean anything, just an attempt to help you see a little easier from one line to the next)
Yellow - Must win out to reach seven D1 wins
Red - Can't reach seven D1 wins this season

Yes, I know it's not a hard and fast rule, but we've all seen that it does play a part. As always, if you see any errors, please let me know so that I can get that changed ASAP, and thank you for making "How They Fared" the number 1 tool on AGS for filling out your brackets each week.

Drblankstare
November 8th, 2014, 11:28 PM
What a mess this will be. As always thanks Supe

tomq04
November 8th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Should make for a great final 2 weeks!

BlueHenSinfonian
November 9th, 2014, 12:57 AM
There looks to be a lot of shakeup this week. Is UNH the consensus #1? Who else has a claim now, maybe Illinois State?

Does Idaho State move into the top 25, does Cal Poly fall out? What's going on with Indiana State, SDSU, and Montana? How much does UNI shoot up? There's a glut of 6-4 teams that all looked pretty even.

There are three MEAC teams that may deserve attention - BCU, SCST, and NC A&T all have strong resumes right now.

Bucknell lost to Fordham, but just barely, should the Bison keep a spot?

This is going to be a tricky week, I seem to have more teams to rank than spots to rank them in.

superman7515
November 9th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Going to be an interesting ballot. There are very few great teams, a handful of really good ones, and a ton of okay ones. Half the country could make an argument, although to varying degrees, to be somewhere between 15-25.

MR. CHICKEN
November 9th, 2014, 07:29 AM
20011....DEALIN' WHIFF DUH VALLEY BOYS.....GONNAH BE.....LIKE...ESPECIALLAH.....STRESSIN'....:(....B RAWK!

sent from mah computer.........HAL

superman7515
November 9th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Who's #1? Everyone has a wart this week (in alphabetical order, not where I'm suggesting to rank them)...

Coastal Carolina: 10-0 (3-0) Undefeated is undefeated, but they don't have an FBS win and unless Liberty wins out, they won't face a single ranked team all season. As it stands right now though, which is all that matters, they haven't faced a ranked opponent yet. Can claim wins over two of the top three in the MEAC, both of which can make a case for being ranked somewhere in the bottom of the poll at this point.

Eastern Washington: 9-2 (6-1) Lost by a touchdown (59-52) to FBS Washington Huskies who are 6-4 and bowl eligible, and by 1 point (28-27) on the road against #29 Northern Arizona. Often criticized for "not playing defense" but the Eagles are 3-0 against teams ranked in the Top 25 and may have just knocked Montana out of the playoffs. Only one remaining game, at Portland State, so 10-1 against FCS competition is certainly attainable.

Fordham: 9-1 (5-0) Presumptive Patriot League champ has won 8 straight games, but was destroyed by Villanova 50-6 the only time they faced a ranked opponent all season. Next best win would be Bucknell this week, the Bison were ranked #30 coming into the game, Fordham got the win but needed overtime. Did

Illinois State: 8-1 (5-1) Tied with NDSU for the Missouri Valley lead, they lost at Northern Iowa by 14 (42-28) last week whereas North Dakota State lost at Northern Iowa by 20 (23-3). North Dakota State and Illinois State don't play each other this season, so it has to be a judgement call to an extent. For example: Illinois State won by 2 points on the road against Indiana State, but North Dakota State won by 17 points on the road against Indiana State; North Dakota State won at home against South Dakota State by 20 points, but Illinois State won at home against South Dakota State by 35 points.

Jacksonville State: 8-1 (6-0) Only loss was to #8 Michigan State Spartans, no losses to FCS teams. 2-0 against teams that were ranked in the Top 25 including a victory over presumptive SoCon champions Chattanooga in overtime and a victory over Eastern Kentucky this week. Current record is cushioned a little by being the only team listed with a victory over a Division 2 team.

New Hampshire: 8-1 (6-0) Does not have a loss to an FCS team, but completely manhandled in their FBS loss. In defense of the loss, FBS loss was to Toledo (6-3) who is bowl eligible and leads the MAC, however you have to ask is a loss to a 6-3 FBS team better than a win against a 2-7 FBS team? Wins have to count for something, so how much weight do you put into the opponent that was faced?

North Dakota State: 9-1 (5-1) Has an FBS win, see New Hampshire, but the team is coming off a loss where they were dominated. In defense of the loss, it was on the road to an FCS team that was ranked, however that team was ranked #20, it's not like they lost a close game to another top 5 team.

Villanova: 8-2 (5-1) Two losses by a combined two points: 27-26 in double overtime at Syracuse when they went for the two-point conversion and a win instead of kicking the PAT and playing for 3OT, and 10-9 at a ranked Richmond team after a missed extra point. Dominated presumptive PL champion Fordham 50-6, and while they have no "bad" losses, they do have two losses and may not even win their conference championship as they sit behind New Hampshire in the CAA race.

WestCoastAggie
November 9th, 2014, 07:48 AM
People should really examine the resumes of the top 3 MEAC teams and not brush them off. The same thing with teams like Idaho State. Also, with EKU now on the bubble, how far will they tumble?

robsnotes4u
November 9th, 2014, 07:52 AM
What does the yellow/orange mean (ex Montana, SDSU, Idaho State)? Haven't looked at this in a long time. Great job putting this together.

WestCoastAggie
November 9th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Coastal Carolina: 10-0 (3-0) Undefeated is undefeated, but they don't have an FBS win and unless Liberty wins out, they won't face a single ranked team all season. As it stands right now though, which is all that matters, they haven't faced a ranked opponent yet. Can claim wins over two of the top three in the MEAC, both of which can make a case for being ranked somewhere in the bottom of the poll at this point.

A&T should be ranked in all polls this week. They are a top 20 team, at worst, Molly-whopping a team in Morgan State that gave Villanova a game for a half the week prior.

MR. CHICKEN
November 9th, 2014, 07:57 AM
A&T should be ranked in all polls this week. They are a top 20 team, at worst, Molly-whopping a team in Morgan State that gave Villanova a game for a half the week prior.

20014................IS DAT...LIKE....FLOGGIN' MOLLY.....xconfusedx......BROCK!!

sent from mah computer.....HAL

CHIP72
November 9th, 2014, 08:03 AM

Illinois State: 8-1 (5-1) Tied with NDSU for the Missouri Valley lead, they lost at Northern Iowa by 14 (42-28) last week whereas North Dakota State lost at Northern Iowa by 20 (23-3). North Dakota State and Illinois State don't play each other this season, so it has to be a judgement call to an extent. For example: Illinois State won by 2 points on the road against Indiana State, but North Dakota State won by 17 points on the road against Indiana State; North Dakota State won at home against South Dakota State by 20 points, but Illinois State won at home against South Dakota State by 35 points.

Jacksonville State: 8-1 (6-0) Only loss was to #8 Michigan State Spartans, no losses to FCS teams. 2-0 against teams that were ranked in the Top 25 including a victory over presumptive SoCon champions Chattanooga in overtime and a victory over Eastern Kentucky this week. Current record is cushioned a little by being the only team listed with a victory over a Division 2 team.

New Hampshire: 8-1 (6-0) Does not have a loss to an FCS team, but completely manhandled in their FBS loss. In defense of the loss, FBS loss was to Toledo (6-3) who is bowl eligible and leads the MAC, however you have to ask is a loss to a 6-3 FBS team better than a win against a 2-7 FBS team? Wins have to count for something, so how much weight do you put into the opponent that was faced?

North Dakota State: 9-1 (5-1) Has an FBS win, see New Hampshire, but the team is coming off a loss where they were dominated. In defense of the loss, it was on the road to an FCS team that was ranked, however that team was ranked #20, it's not like they lost a close game to another top 5 team.

These five teams have the strongest argument IMO. If NDSU had lost by 20 points to a team with one or two losses, or lost to UNI by a touchdown or less, I think they'd deserve to remain #1, but IMO New Hampshire and Illinois State have slightly stronger cases for #1 right now and an argument could also be made for Jacksonville State (though I'd put them slightly behind the Bison). Those four teams are very close though and all of them are worthy of the top spot. Coastal Carolina's schedule strength is too weak to merit #1 or even be placed ahead of the other four teams IMO.

Incidentally, to be fair, one other team IMO should be listed in the original post above - they play in Baastin.

UNH Fanboi
November 9th, 2014, 08:05 AM
There looks to be a lot of shakeup this week. Is UNH the consensus #1? Who else has a claim now, maybe Illinois State?

Does Idaho State move into the top 25, does Cal Poly fall out? What's going on with Indiana State, SDSU, and Montana? How much does UNI shoot up? There's a glut of 6-4 teams that all looked pretty even.

There are three MEAC teams that may deserve attention - BCU, SCST, and NC A&T all have strong resumes right now.

Bucknell lost to Fordham, but just barely, should the Bison keep a spot?

This is going to be a tricky week, I seem to have more teams to rank than spots to rank them in.

I think NDSU probably stays at #1. CC, UNH and JSU will probably split the non-NDSU vote.

clenz
November 9th, 2014, 08:08 AM
These five teams have the strongest argument IMO. If NDSU had lost by 20 points to a team with one or two losses, or lost to UNI by a touchdown or less, I think they'd deserve to remain #1, but IMO New Hampshire and Illinois State have slightly stronger cases for #1 right now and an argument could also be made for Jacksonville State (though I'd put them slightly behind the Bison). Those four teams are very close though and all of them are worthy of the top spot. Coastal Carolina's schedule strength is too weak to merit #1 or even be placed ahead of the other four teams IMO.

Incidentally, to be fair, one other team IMO should be listed in the original post above - they play in Baastin.
Illinois state didn't fair much better against uni just a week ago

I guess it's "what have you done for me lately"

I really want to see what people do with uni. 2 straight wins over top 7 and undefeated teams by 2 plus scores

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

UNH Fanboi
November 9th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Illinois state didn't fair much better against uni just a week ago

I guess it's "what have you done for me lately"

I really want to see what people do with uni. 2 straight wins over top 7 and undefeated teams by 2 plus scores

They should be top 10 no doubt. Probably still behind Nova, ISU and EWU. They still need to be docked a little for their losses even though they have the biggest wins.

rokamortis
November 9th, 2014, 08:16 AM

My thoughts too. NCA&T and SC State have a legit shot at being ranked and / or in the playoffs. I know Supe tracks how many top 25 wins a team has, but that is at the point they played and isn't adjusted based on current rankings. To me it is where you finish that is important. and NCA&T and SC State have legit shots at being ranked at the end of the year.

Cocky
November 9th, 2014, 08:18 AM
People should really examine the resumes of the top 3 MEAC teams and not brush them off. The same thing with teams like Idaho State. Also, with EKU now on the bubble, how far will they tumble?
Why should EKU tumble very far? JSU was the favorite going into the game and EKU played a good game against one of the best teams in FCS.

caribbeanhen
November 9th, 2014, 08:23 AM
People should really examine the resumes of the top 3 MEAC teams brush them off. The same thing with teams like Idaho State. Also, with EKU now on the bubble, how far will they tumble?

I changed that a bit..... my sentimental MEAC team is North Carolina A & T, I like that Cohen Tarik.....

rokamortis
November 9th, 2014, 08:34 AM
I changed that a bit..... my sentimental MEAC team is North Carolina A & T, I like that Cohen Tarik.....

Tarik Cohen is a damn fine back.

WestCoastAggie
November 9th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Why should EKU tumble very far? JSU was the favorite going into the game and EKU played a good game against one of the best teams in FCS.

I agree.

WestCoastAggie
November 9th, 2014, 08:43 AM

Cohen hasn't been putting up the stats like he did earlier in the season, as the Aggies passing game is maturing before our eyes. Q. Quick went 22-29 for 249 yards and 4 TD's with Denzel Keyes catching two of those TD passes against Morgan State.

Keyes is emerging as one of the best WR's in our sub-division with 5 TD's in his last two games. A&T is way more than just a Run Option offense now and we appear to be one of the most complete MEAC squads since the Hamptom teams a decade ago.

clenz
November 9th, 2014, 09:00 AM
I agree.
Tennessee Tech....

caribbeanhen
November 9th, 2014, 09:02 AM

thanks for turning that around for me... haha

Cocky
November 9th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Tennessee Tech....

Why wouldn't voters have already factored the TTU game into their voting?

clenz
November 9th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Why wouldn't voters have already factored the TTU game into their voting?
TTU is an absolutely horrific loss and should damage the ranking/al chances the rest of the season

jmrepak
November 9th, 2014, 09:15 AM
We have 4 of our 12 opponents in the top 40 on AGS and I think there is a good shot that NC A&T makes the top 25 by year end. If we win out are we still going to hear the same weak schedule talk with two wins over top 25 teams with one of those being our rival and top 15 (my guess as to where Liberty lands this week or next), an outright championship from the second ranked conference and an undefeated season? I'm not saying we would have the strongest schedule at that point, but that sounds like a pretty good resume to me for top 2 or 3.

knucklehead
November 9th, 2014, 09:17 AM
But you aren't going o win out. . . . .

robsnotes4u
November 9th, 2014, 09:21 AM
They should be top 10 no doubt. Probably still behind Nova, ISU and EWU. They still need to be docked a little for their losses even though they have the biggest wins.

Can't agree. Imagine a 7-5 team gets in the playoffs. Coastal Carolina is undefeated, and in the championship. The 7-5 team rolls through the playoffs and defeats CCU in the championship. Who is the #1 team?

kalm
November 9th, 2014, 09:22 AM
People should really examine the resumes of the top 3 MEAC teams and not brush them off.

That's the problem, I have. No wins against top 25 FCS from the entire CONFERENCE and like I've mentioned before, terribly weak SoS. Should be a 1 bid conference with the champ squeaking into the top 25.

jmrepak
November 9th, 2014, 09:26 AM
I don't know about all that, but that game has been circled on my calendar for a long time. I'm thinking that there are only 2 or 3 teams that have an argument for GOTW 13. NDSU v YSU, WM v Rich, Liberty v Coastal, or Montana St. V Montana. That is a lot of damn good football for week 13, but my vote is for Liberty v Coastal

rokamortis
November 9th, 2014, 09:27 AM

I love your predictions because they are usually wrong. Just like our game last year or that you would roll over a weak Monmouth. You won yesterday but it was much closer than most flamers thought possible.

clenz
November 9th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Can't agree. Imagine a 7-5 team gets in the playoffs. Coastal Carolina is undefeated, and in the championship. The 7-5 team rolls through the playoffs and defeats CCU in the championship. Who is the #1 team?
The team that won the title... Especially if it's a mvfc, caa or big sky team

rokamortis
November 9th, 2014, 09:30 AM

#1 team is who wins. And in response to Clenz - regardless of conference or record. If you make the playoffs and win - you are the #1 team that year.

Engineer86
November 9th, 2014, 09:31 AM
The team that won the title... Especially if it's a mvfc, caa or big sky team

Wait? So if that 7-5 team won the championship and was not from the MVFC, CAA, or big sky, they might not number 1 in your eyes?

clenz
November 9th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Wait? So if that 7-5 team won the championship and was not from the MVFC, CAA, or big sky, they might not number 1 in your eyes?
They would be.

It would go to show that sos means more than total record a lot of times though

Engineer86
November 9th, 2014, 10:00 AM
They would be.

It would go to show that sos means more than total record a lot of times though

I agree with you, but once you make the playoffs it is all decided on the field.

ejjones
November 9th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Why you ask? Because they lost & teams behind them are winning. I'd also submit that the OVC isn't very strong this year. You have a bad lost to Tenn tech. Only 2 teams in the OVC have a winning record. Add it all up and honest voters would send them packing.

superman7515
November 9th, 2014, 10:09 AM
For anyone who doesn't remember:
Green - Reached our magical seven D1 win threshold (There are several green this week, so there are two shades of green. The color doesn't mean anything, just an attempt to help you see a little easier from one line to the next)
Yellow - Must win out to reach seven D1 wins
Red - Can't reach seven D1 wins this season

Yes, I know it's not a hard and fast rule, but we've all seen that it does play a part. As always, if you see any errors, please let me know so that I can get that changed ASAP, and thank you for making "How They Fared" the number 1 tool on AGS for filling out your brackets each week.

What does the yellow/orange mean (ex Montana, SDSU, Idaho State)? Haven't looked at this in a long time. Great job putting this together.

See the first post and thanks for the update.

superman7515
November 9th, 2014, 10:13 AM
They are a top 20 team, at worst, Molly-whopping a team in Morgan State that gave Villanova a game for a half the week prior.

20014................IS DAT...LIKE....FLOGGIN' MOLLY.....xconfusedx......BROCK!!

The origins of mollywhop is gay slang for smacking another man in the head/face with your penis during foreplay.

ejjones
November 9th, 2014, 10:13 AM
That's the problem, I have. No wins against top 25 FCS from the entire CONFERENCE and like I've mentioned before, terribly weak SoS. Should be a 1 bid conference with the champ squeaking into the top 25.
You should check again; SC State is 2-1 against fcs top 25 .

clenz
November 9th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Why you ask? Because they lost & teams behind them are winning. I'd also submit that the OVC isn't very strong this year. You have a bad lost to Tenn tech. Only 2 teams in the OVC have a winning record. Add it all up and honest voters would send them packing.
Eku didn't drop enough after the ttu game... Including my poll.

Got that one wrong

superman7515
November 9th, 2014, 10:17 AM
#1 team is who wins. And in response to Clenz - regardless of conference or record. If you make the playoffs and win - you are the #1 team that year.

There is precedent in the AGS poll of a team who did not win the championship receiving #1 votes in the final poll.

Mattymc727
November 9th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Even though I don't think UNH should be #1. I want to pump them up for a second. Its a long season, and that loss to Toledo was a long time ago. First game of the year and UNH didn't look very sharp. Even though the final score says otherwise, UNH was up 2 scores, and choked away that lead to only be down 2 at the half. UNH was within a score late in the 3rd. UNH should have won that game but actually made some poor coaching decisions and ran out of gas. I still think UNH is just as good as Toledo is and UNH should have won that game.

That said, UNH doesn't have the dominant offensive and defensive lines most champions have. I don't see any chance that UNH actually wins the title. Just a gut feeling.

Done venting

rokamortis
November 9th, 2014, 10:22 AM
There is precedent in the AGS poll of a team who did not win the championship receiving #1 votes in the final poll.

Ok, but who was the overall #1? Just because someone gets votes doesn't make them the consensus, it is just the opinion of the voter. But I think most would share the opinion that the one who proves it on the field would be the #1 for that year.

Cocky
November 9th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Eku didn't drop enough after the ttu game... Including my poll.

Got that one wrong

just remember to use the same judgements on NoAZ for their loss to a bad S Dak team, SELA for their loss to a bad SEMO team and YSU for their loss to a bad WIU team. I'm sure their are other pretty good teams that have bad losses but too lazy to look.

clenz
November 9th, 2014, 10:41 AM
just remember to use the same judgements on NoAZ for their loss to a bad S Dak team, SELA for their loss to a bad SEMO team and YSU for their loss to a bad WIU team. I'm sure their are other pretty good teams that have bad losses but too lazy to look.
That nau loss to usd is horrific. Look at how usd had fared in mvfc play.. It how many other d1 wins that have...

Yeah

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 10:48 AM
You all better get over CCU not having any FBS wins, they don't schedule those teams anymore. The best we can do is schedule better FCS teams and compete with the best at our level instead of the weakest at the next (CSU @ Vandy)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Liberty will be a true test and, as homerish as it sounds, I truly see us going 12-0. Should we be #1? I don't know. If #1 was simply the best record, then yes. But we know that isn't it. Does UNH deserve to be ranked #1? Probably

CHIP72
November 9th, 2014, 11:07 AM
We have 4 of our 12 opponents in the top 40 on AGS and I think there is a good shot that NC A&T makes the top 25 by year end. If we win out are we still going to hear the same weak schedule talk with two wins over top 25 teams with one of those being our rival and top 15 (my guess as to where Liberty lands this week or next), an outright championship from the second ranked conference and an undefeated season? I'm not saying we would have the strongest schedule at that point, but that sounds like a pretty good resume to me for top 2 or 3.

My personal thinking is if Coastal Carolina beats Liberty and finishes undefeated, they will deserve consideration for the top spot at that point.

I don't think Coastal Carolina is far behind the top four teams I identified up thread (UNH, Illinois State, NDSU, JSU), but they are a little behind. I think needing double OT to beat a 2-8 Furman team is what puts CC behind those four teams (at least to me personally); none of those teams have a loss or near-loss against a team that poor. The wins at North Carolina A&T and vs South Carolina State and Charleston Southern are good wins though.

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 11:11 AM
My personal thinking is if Coastal Carolina beats Liberty and finishes undefeated, they will deserve consideration for the top spot at that point.

I don't think Coastal Carolina is far behind the top four teams I identified up thread (UNH, Illinois State, NDSU, JSU), but they are a little behind. I think needing double OT to beat a 2-8 Furman team is what puts CC behind those four teams (at least to me personally); none of those teams have a loss or near-loss against a team that poor. The wins at North Carolina A&T and vs South Carolina State and Charleston Southern are good wins though.

Furman played well but you're right, for a top 10 team we shouldn't have had to go into OT.

birdsflyhigh
November 9th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Earlier in this thread there was a comparison of the 2 TD loss that the ISU Redbirds took at UNI vs. the Panthers 3 TD win over NDSU's Bison. Just want to state that with under 1 minute to go in that ISU-UNI game, ISU had the ball and was set to go for a drive to TIE the game.

However, the Redbirds QB Roberson was picked off and UNI ran it in for a 38 yard TD making it a 2 TD win for the Panthers. That final score was pretty deceiving. Just wanted to clear the air on that ISU-UNI game so that 2 TD UNI victory over the Redbirds cannot be revisioned spin as a manhandling of ISU. Far from it.

kalm
November 9th, 2014, 11:17 AM
You should check again; SC State is 2-1 against fcs top 25 .

Oops, missed BCU. Who's the other?

superman7515
November 9th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Earlier in this thread there was a comparison of the 2 TD loss that the ISU Redbirds took at UNI vs. the Panthers 3 TD win over NDSU's Bison. Just want to state that with under 1 minute to go in that ISU-UNI game, ISU had the ball and was set to go for a drive to TIE the game.

However, the Redbirds QB Roberson was picked off and UNI ran it in for a 38 yard TD making it a 2 TD win for the Panthers. That final score was pretty deceiving. Just wanted to clear the air on that ISU-UNI game so that 2 TD UNI victory over the Redbirds cannot be revisioned spin as a manhandling of ISU. Far from it.

Who said it was a manhandling? You can't revise the final score, a two touchdown loss is a two touchdown loss, your quarterbacks poor decision making notwithstanding.

superman7515
November 9th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Oops, missed BCU. Who's the other?

SC State got a win over a then-ranked Furman squad who has since proven to be terrible. It's still a top 25 win because they were ranked at the time, but they're 2-8, so it's certainly not a noteworthy win at this point.

WestCoastAggie
November 9th, 2014, 11:29 AM
The origins of mollywhop is gay slang for smacking another man in the head/face with your penis during foreplay.

I never heard that until today and I will throw that slang out the window!

CHIP72
November 9th, 2014, 11:31 AM

Illinois State wasn't that close to tying the game; they still had the ball on their side of the field when the interception occurred.

I agree that ISU was closer to beating UNI than NDSU was based on the context of each game.

CHIP72
November 9th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Furman played well but you're right, for a top 10 team we shouldn't have had to go into OT.

The issue isn't a top 10 team needing to do that (that occasionally happens); it is a potential #1 team needing to do that.

clenz
November 9th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Illinois State wasn't that close to tying the game; they still had the ball on their side of the field when the interception occurred.

I agree that ISU was closer to beating UNI than NDSU was based on the context of each game.
ISUr had the ball on about the 11 yard line to drive the length of the field using a passing game that was terrible.

ISU wasn't winning that game

kalm
November 9th, 2014, 11:39 AM
SC State got a win over a then-ranked Furman squad who has since proven to be terrible. It's still a top 25 win because they were ranked at the time, but they're 2-8, so it's certainly not a noteworthy win at this point.

Well shoot, I guess we have 3 top 20 and two top 10 wins. :D

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 11:48 AM
The issue isn't a top 10 team needing to do that (that occasionally happens); it is a potential #1 team needing to do that.

Eh. IMO, a FCS team that beats a FBS is a fluke. Consistent wins against good FCS teams, to me, is more meaningful.

rokamortis
November 9th, 2014, 11:48 AM

I'm not justifying Coastal being 1, but in your scenario the question will be is that win worse than the other teams losses. NDSU, UNH and JSU would have really good cases.

birdsflyhigh
November 9th, 2014, 11:51 AM
In regards to the UNI-ISU game, my point was that the 2 TD win for the Panther IS deceiving. And yes, ISU has driven the length of the field in short time to score TDs this season.

I would not have even brought this up, but the post trumpeting UNI's 2 TD win over the Redbirds made me set the record straight that the margin of victory was deceiving.

So yes indeed, the final score was a 2 TD Panther win. So, I guess I'm just flat-out wrong and there really are no deceiving final scores in football....sorry.

CHIP72
November 9th, 2014, 11:55 AM
I'm not justifying Coastal being 1, but in your scenario the question will be is that win worse than the other teams losses. NDSU, UNH and JSU would have really good cases.

Yeah, my comment about Coastal Carolina's close call with Furman has more to do my previous comments in the thread than anything else.

Notwithstanding that tight win over a poor Furman team, if the Chanticleers go undefeated, they will merit consideration for the #1 seed and probably should be a top 4 seed.

Cocky
November 9th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Just don't see the clear cut number one team this year. All being considered by most have already had a not so great game.

CHIP72
November 9th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Eh. IMO, a FCS team that beats a FBS is a fluke. Consistent wins against good FCS teams, to me, is more meaningful.

I agree, but all of the teams that have a legitimate argument to be #1 have those. Beating multiple, good Division I-AA teams is pretty much a requirement for the top level Division I-AA teams to be considered top level teams. (This also explains the reason why I don't think Fordham deserves a bye at this point; the ONLY fairly good team they've beaten is Bucknell, and they needed OT to beat them. Of course, the Rams also got walloped by Villanova.)

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I agree, but all of the teams that have a legitimate argument to be #1 have those. Beating multiple, good Division I-AA teams is pretty much a requirement for the top level Division I-AA teams to be considered top level teams. (This also explains the reason why I don't think Fordham deserves a bye at this point; the ONLY fairly good team they've beaten is Bucknell, and they needed OT to beat them. Of course, the Rams also got walloped by Villanova.)
Very true. A win is good against an FBS team, but it kinda depends on the rest of that teams wind. For instance, if CSU had beat Vandy (remember they lost by 1 point) and then had the loss the following week would they still be considered worthy?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 9th, 2014, 12:11 PM
How come no one talks about CCU's game at home with Elon? Wasn't that a close game until the 4th Quarter? The following week UNH blasted Elon on their home field, started their 3rd string QB in the 2nd half. Add in the Furman game and if I was a voter, I'd have trouble putting Coastal ahead of NDSU, UNH, Jacksonville State, Illinois State and even Villanova. Got no axe to grind with the Chants, just trying to objectively analyze.

jmrepak
November 9th, 2014, 12:25 PM
How come no one talks about CCU's game at home with Elon? Wasn't that a close game until the 4th Quarter? The following week UNH blasted Elon on their home field, started their 3rd string QB in the 2nd half. Add in the Furman game and if I was a voter, I'd have trouble putting Coastal ahead of NDSU, UNH, Jacksonville State, Illinois State and even Villanova. Got no axe to grind with the Chants, just trying to objectively analyze.
Nope. We beat them 31-3 and pulled the starters early in the 2nd half.

edit: I take the starters part back. We pulled the RBs and WRs in favor of second stringers for the 4th quarter but I don't think we pulled Ross. Either that or we didn't let the backup QB throw or run at all (which is possible I guess). Second string D was also in for the 4th.

smallcollegefbfan
November 9th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Cohen hasn't been putting up the stats like he did earlier in the season, as the Aggies passing game is maturing before our eyes. Q. Quick went 22-29 for 249 yards and 4 TD's with Denzel Keyes catching two of those TD passes against Morgan State.

Keyes is emerging as one of the best WR's in our sub-division with 5 TD's in his last two games. A&T is way more than just a Run Option offense now and we appear to be one of the most complete MEAC squads since the Hamptom teams a decade ago.

I love Cohen. I would hold off on proclaiming a guy as a top WR in the country with just two good games. There are about 20 others who have done much better this year. If he keeps it up and then has a big year next season, he can be dubbed one of the best in the country. Definitely a top 5 WR in the MEAC from what I'm seeing though.

smallcollegefbfan
November 9th, 2014, 12:27 PM

I have CCU behind UNH, NDSU, and Jacksonville State. I think you could argue they probably could be 5-7 though. Their schedule isn't very tough but they were a playoff team last season and have a lot of talent. I wish we could have seen them against a FBS team this year. I have a sneaking suspicion they aren't a top 5 team but have to see proof before I drop them.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 9th, 2014, 12:29 PM
I'm on to CCU because I think they have a great coach, very good players and met preseason expectations. To me, that's what matters....

jmrepak
November 9th, 2014, 12:36 PM
I have CCU behind UNH, NDSU, and Jacksonville State. I think you could argue they probably could be 5-7 though. Their schedule isn't very tough but they were a playoff team last season and have a lot of talent. I wish we could have seen them against a FBS team this year. I have a sneaking suspicion they aren't a top 5 team but have to see proof before I drop them.
What will your analysis be if NC A&T finishes in the top 25 and Liberty is in the top 15 when we face them? Both are not only possible, but are more than likely. SC St also has a shot at top 25, but a little tougher road to get there. If we go undefeated, close out with a win over a top 15, a win over a top 25, half our opponents in the top 50 with 4 in the top 40, and an outright championship in the 2nd ranked conference would you still put us 5-7? What more could we have done?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 9th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Nope. We beat them 31-3 and pulled the starters early in the 2nd half.

edit: I take the starters part back. We pulled the RBs and WRs in favor of second stringers for the 4th quarter but I don't think we pulled Ross. Either that or we didn't let the backup QB throw or run at all (which is possible I guess).

While not as close as I thought, still have to consider it was only 10-0 CCU at halftime while it was 34-0 UNH at halftime. At the end of the third with both teams bringing in reserves, it was 48-0 UNH while 17-3 CCU. The Chants were playing at home while UNH was playing at Elon. Yes, I hate making decisions on one or two games, but when there aren't many opportunities for true comparison then we all fall back on a game or two. Still think this CCU game with Elon should be considered when evaluating the Chants.

dwtime
November 9th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Who's #1? Everyone has a wart this week (in alphabetical order, not where I'm suggesting to rank them)...

Eastern Washington: 9-2 (6-1) Lost by a touchdown (59-52) to FBS Washington Huskies who are 6-4 and bowl eligible, and by 1 point (28-27) on the road against #29 Northern Arizona. Often criticized for "not playing defense" but the Eagles are 3-0 against teams ranked in the Top 25 and may have just knocked Montana out of the playoffs. Only one remaining game, at Portland State, so 10-1 against FCS competition is certainly attainable.

Fordham: 9-1 (5-0) Presumptive Patriot League champ has won 8 straight games, but was destroyed by Villanova 50-6 the only time they faced a ranked opponent all season. Next best win would be Bucknell this week, the Bison were ranked #30 coming into the game, Fordham got the win but needed overtime. Did

Villanova: 8-2 (5-1) Two losses by a combined two points: 27-26 in double overtime at Syracuse when they went for the two-point conversion and a win instead of kicking the PAT and playing for 3OT, and 10-9 at a ranked Richmond team after a missed extra point. Dominated presumptive PL champion Fordham 50-6, and while they have no "bad" losses, they do have two losses and may not even win their conference championship as they sit behind New Hampshire in the CAA race.

Did you watch the UNH Toledo game? UNH outplayed Toledo in the first half, yeah its a 60 min game but it wasn't like they were 'manhandled' from the get go.

Tealblood
November 9th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Supe good stuff as usual

but I noticed a team or 2 that is listed as having 5 div I but aren't in yellow are some not updated yet

jmrepak
November 9th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Is it worth taking a look though that UNH's schedule is starting to look a lot weaker than it did 2 weeks ago? Their two biggest wins were W&M and UofR. W&M may make it back into the top 25 this week, but would be questionable and I think they are out of the playoffs and won't make the final top 25 if they lose to the Spiders. Richmond just lost to Maine, and as much as the Spider in me hates to say it, will probably drop to the mid- to high teens. Their next two games are must wins to make the field and if they drop either one their probably out of the top 25 as well. You could very well see Coastal with more wins over top 25 teams than UNH at the end of week 13.

Mattymc727
November 9th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Is it worth taking a look though that UNH's schedule is starting to look a lot weaker than it did 2 weeks ago? Their two biggest wins were W&M and UofR. W&M may make it back into the top 25 this week, but would be questionable and I think they are out of the playoffs and won't make the final top 25 if they lose to the Spiders. Richmond just lost to Maine, and as much as the Spider in me hates to say it, will probably drop to the mid- to high teens. Their next two games are must wins to make the field and if they drop either one their probably out of the top 25 as well. You could very well see Coastal with more wins over top 25 teams than UNH at the end of week 13.

Pretty solid point. UNH does have a pretty weak schedule for a CAA team.

coastalalum
November 9th, 2014, 12:57 PM
CCU also fumbled 3 times against Elon and lost all 3 of them.

I really couldn't give a flip where we rank in the AGS poll tomorrow. The fact that a program that wasn't even playing football 12 years ago is in the conversation is pretty darn impressive.

superman7515
November 9th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Supe good stuff as usual

but I noticed a team or 2 that is listed as having 5 div I but aren't in yellow are some not updated yet

Thanks for the heads up. The McNeese State game was one of the last two that ended last night and I was trying to get everything finalized and get the recaps etc and must have missed that. Got it fixed and appreciate it.

rokamortis
November 9th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Is it fair to knock us a bit for not putting some teams away early? Sure. But also realize that we have gotten better since then. For some reason we just were rusty at the start of the season and couldn't get it all together. I'm figuring it had to do with losing 4 of our 5 top WR from last year. But our offense is starting to click at the right time.

superman7515
November 9th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Sagarin Ratings have been updated to reflect all games played this week.

Interesting note on the strength of schedule debate that's been going on in this thread: Liberty fell farther in the computers after a win (-13 spots) than North Dakota State fell after a loss (-10 spots). I don't see any way that Liberty becomes a top 15 team in time for the Liberty/Coastal Carolina game.

jmrepak
November 9th, 2014, 01:19 PM

Interesting note on the strength of schedule debate that's been going on in this thread: Liberty fell farther in the computers after a win (-13 spots) than North Dakota State fell after a loss (-10 spots). I don't see any way that Liberty becomes a top 15 team in time for the Liberty/Coastal Carolina game.
Looking at who lost ahead of them and where they were last week I'm thinking they will get to 17 or more likely 18 this week. Losses ahead of them that could move them up were Montana, McNeese, Cal Poly and Indiana State. They may jump those, but UNI and SDSU may jump them (UNI definitely will). With all of the losses over the last two weeks I could see them moving up after 2 or 3 losses ahead of them next week. If not top 15 they'll be close, IMO.

rokamortis
November 9th, 2014, 01:23 PM

Some of those computer rankings may as well be called the MVFC lovefest rankings.

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 01:33 PM

Again, FBS doesn't matter. CSU held their own against Vandy, almost won and then **** the bed.

Sycamore62
November 9th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Looking at who lost ahead of them and where they were last week I'm thinking they will get to 17 or more likely 18 this week. Losses ahead of them that could move them up were Montana, McNeese, Cal Poly and Indiana State. They may jump those, but UNI and SDSU may jump them (UNI definitely will). With all of the losses over the last two weeks I could see them moving up after 2 or 3 losses ahead of them next week. If not top 15 they'll be close, IMO.

Losing to Indiana State hurts them

knucklehead
November 9th, 2014, 01:41 PM

Link? I will be glad for LU to remain low on the radar going into Conway. fine with me to be the underdog and sneak up on CCU. Everyone LU needed to win this week lost, and Vise Versa.
I also have New Hampshire, NDSU, and Jax St. ahead of CCU.

superman7515
November 9th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Link?

The very first post of this thread.

knucklehead
November 9th, 2014, 01:44 PM
The very first post of this thread.
Yea, I knew Sagarin was in your sheet and just blanked. thanks!

rokamortis
November 9th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Link? I will be glad for LU to remain low on the radar going into Conway. fine with me to be the underdog and sneak up on CCU. Everyone LU needed to win this week lost, and Vise Versa.
I also have New Hampshire, NDSU, and Jax St. ahead of CCU.

Liberty isn't sneaking up on CCU. Should be a good game though.

JaxSinfonian
November 9th, 2014, 05:05 PM

No, they can't do better than 9-1 vs. FCS. The Eagles defeated Montana Western of the NAIA for their second win of the season.

And yes, I only scrutinized it since it stung a bit to read the bolded passage below. It's still accurate, but only because Montana Western is sub-Division 2.

kalm
November 9th, 2014, 05:25 PM
No, they can't do better than 9-1 vs. FCS. The Eagles defeated Montana Western of the NAIA for their second win of the season.

And yes, I only scrutinized it since it stung a bit to read the bolded passage below. It's still accurate, but only because Montana Western is sub-Division 2.

Can't blame you for that. :)

Assuming they all win out...

11-1 ISUr
12-0 CCU
10-1 JSU
10-2 EWU
10-2 Nova

Can all make a case for seeds #3 and #4.

jmrepak
November 9th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Can't blame you for that. :)

Assuming they all win out...

11-1 ISUr
12-0 CCU
10-1 JSU
10-2 EWU
10-2 Nova

Can all make a case for seeds #3 and #4.
I think #2 is up for grabs as well. UNH's SoS is falling every week and their quality wins are losing their luster.

kalm
November 9th, 2014, 05:41 PM
I think #2 is up for grabs as well. UNH's SoS is falling every week and their quality wins are losing their luster.

That's true and it won't improve.

MTfan4life
November 9th, 2014, 05:52 PM

However, you have to remember that with the exception of Montana, New Hampshire always seems to get the benefit of the doubt. I think they'd deserve a top 2 seed anyways, but there's solid evidence that they are well liked by the committee. In 2013, they were selected as a 7-4 at-large ahead of an 8 win team. In 2012, they were 8-2 in the FCS and Towson was 7-2, but Towson had slaughtered UNH in the final week of the season. It didn't matter as UNH got in ahead of Towson. Also, I always say that it's really hard to get into the playoffs with 4 or more FCS losses. There is one team who has done so recently. New Hampshire in 2007. With a 10, soon to be 11 straight playoff streak going, they aren't going to be undervalued by the selection committee anytime soon. I'm not intending to slight UNH, just pointing out that they have a Montana-esque aura in the eyes of the NCAA committee.

UNH Fanboi
November 9th, 2014, 06:10 PM

This is the third time you have made this comment. What big wins does CCU have? The best win they will have is Liberty, who lost to Richmond. Other than the fact they did not play an FBS and are undefeated, what about CCU's resume trumps UNH? You keep trying to tear UNH down without making any real case for CCU.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 9th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Just submitted mine, this was one of the hardest ones so far. The glut of on-again-off-again MVFC and Big Sky teams makes for some tough ranking. Do you reward consistency, SoS, wins vs top 25, head to head, or what?

kalm
November 9th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Just submitted mine, this was one of the hardest ones so far. The glut of on-again-off-again MVFC and Big Sky teams makes for some tough ranking. Do you reward consistency, SoS, wins vs top 25, head to head, or what?

SOS and wins against top 25

Beachdude
November 9th, 2014, 06:57 PM
This is the third time you have made this comment. What big wins does CCU have? The best win they will have is Liberty, who lost to Richmond. Other than the fact they did not play an FBS and are undefeated, what about CCU's resume trumps UNH? You keep trying to tear UNH down without making any real case for CCU.

Frustrating getting diss'ed on, isn't it, deserving or not.

blackbeard
November 9th, 2014, 07:12 PM

Agreed, For seeding I've got:
1. NDSU
2. UNH
3. JSU
4. CCU

But I think Villanova is the best team in the country.

rokamortis
November 9th, 2014, 07:17 PM
SOS and wins against top 25

But how do you determine SOS? A ranking that doesn't include DII, DIII, or NAIA? Losses against FBS? Conference strength?

I'd say you have to look at wins against current top 25, quality of all wins, factor in losses, and also conference strength.

kalm
November 9th, 2014, 07:22 PM
But how do you determine SOS? A ranking that doesn't include DII, DIII, or NAIA? Losses against FBS? Conference strength?

I'd say you have to look at wins against current top 25, quality of all wins, factor in losses, and also conference strength.

It's not hard to break down a few teams. Massey also does it for computer fans.

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 07:28 PM

FBS games don't mean ****. Your chances of winning are so remote, why schedule a losing game just to appear tough?

smilo
November 9th, 2014, 07:28 PM
But I think Villanova is the best team in the country.

Yikes, I certainly don't. I think we were overrated for playing a bad Syracuse team close after they lost their only legitimate player and then destroying Fordham with an injured QB who piles on wins against Patriot League teams. The JMU win is looking increasingly impressive especially because every 50-50 play went against us in the first half, but we have awful pass defense (really exposed vs. William & Mary and Morgan State) and our D-Line was quite exposed vs. Towson. I guess Richmond is forgivable because of the weather (our punter's illegal kick set up the only TD) and loss of our center mid-game (that less so because Sotiriou already started several games) but it is hard to pick a team that literally does not have a kicker for anything beyond an XP to win games - both losses! But really few good wins. If we get Pettway and Underwood back for the playoffs, I'll have faith in our offense despite shaky O-line, D-line, and secondary, but I think NDSU is certainly better as well as a couple MVFC teams in the same tier.

UNH Fanboi
November 9th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Frustrating getting diss'ed on, isn't it, deserving or not.

I don't mind the criticism. I'll be the first to acknowledge UNH's weaknesses. But if you want to argue that Team A should be ranked over Team B, you should have some accomplishments of Team A to point to, not just criticisms of Team B.

taper
November 9th, 2014, 07:56 PM
FBS games don't mean ****. Your chances of winning are so remote, why schedule a losing game just to appear tough?

That greatly depends on what FBS you're scheduling. Any FCS who wants to be top 10 should be able to regularly beat the lower quarter FBS. Top 2-5 would make a run at the 2nd from top quarter. Last year the FCS had plenty of FBS wins.

kalm
November 9th, 2014, 08:05 PM

$'s.

Bully for you that you don't have too, but if UNI had scheduled FAMU and NCA&T, they'd be in line for a seed.

I guarantee you that the committee takes FBS games into account, considering good losses and high quality wins.

It's how ISUr, Liberty, and EKU may get at large bids.

mvemjsunpx
November 9th, 2014, 08:07 PM
$'s.

Bully for you that you don't have too, but if UNI had scheduled FAMU and NCA&T, they'd be in line for a seed.

UNI lost to Hawai'i, though—not exactly an unwinnable game. There are a good chunk of FCS teams that are better than Hawai'i.

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 08:07 PM
$'s.

I guarantee you that the committee takes FBS games into account, considering good losses and high quality wins.

Give me a " quality loss" against a strong FCS team over a weak FBS team.

rokamortis
November 9th, 2014, 08:10 PM
That greatly depends on what FBS you're scheduling. Any FCS who wants to be top 10 should be able to regularly beat the lower quarter FBS. Top 2-5 would make a run at the 2nd from top quarter. Last year the FCS had plenty of FBS wins.

Define plenty. Looks like there was about 16 total wins and 3 were Georgia State. Very few were over teams with a winning record. Some of the other wins were attributed to transitional teams with more than 63 scholarships like Georgia Southern and Old Dominion.

So overall, the FCS over FBS wins were over pretty bad teams.

This year looks like there are 8 wins and only 1 has a winning record.

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Is AppState a quality win for Liberty? If it was last year, you all would say no.

rokamortis
November 9th, 2014, 08:13 PM
$'s.

They already played N Colorado and Tennessee Tech. So go cry me a river that they chose to get paid and take 2 losses. They also have losses to 2 6-4 teams. So your vitriol is misdirected. But perhaps Montana Western of the NAIA is free next year, or do you guys have a home and home with them?

Bison56
November 9th, 2014, 08:19 PM

Wow

taper
November 9th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Define plenty. Looks like there was about 16 total wins and 3 were Georgia State. Very few were over teams with a winning record. Some of the other wins were attributed to transitional teams with more than 63 scholarships like Georgia Southern and Old Dominion.

So overall, the FCS over FBS wins were over pretty bad teams.

This year looks like there are 8 wins and only 1 has a winning record.

I did say wins over lower half FBS. Still a payday and a counter win for the FCS school, which was the point another poster was missing. Very few FBS are worse than the NEC, Pioneer, or SWAC that are usually brought in for OOC games.

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Wow

Did I say something wrong or do you not agree with my opinion?

rokamortis
November 9th, 2014, 08:22 PM

Just a very unpopular opinion. We are the heretics.

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 08:23 PM
I did say wins over lower half FBS. Still a payday and a counter win for the FCS school, which was the point another poster was missing. Very few FBS are worse than the NEC, Pioneer, or SWAC that are usually brought in for OOC games.

Am I that poster? I get the payday and win. Coastal doesn't need it the payday. Yes we have a wealthy coach with wealthy friends. Yes, we do well in fundraiser. We have a different philosophy. Is it wrong? No. It's just different. That shouldn't preclude us though.

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Just a very unpopular opinion. We are the heretics.

Oh I know. I'd guess 99% of the community here wants a FBS team each year for the chance to "prove themselves." I get it. Moglia is taking us in a different direction. What is wrong with trying to schedule and play tough FCS teams? I say nothing is wrong with that.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
I love to watch you FCS'ers bicker this time of year. The most I can hope for Temple football is being the best P5 team and earning a marquee bowl invite. We have basically no shot at a national title. But hey, there's basketball xdrunkyx

With that said, I appreciate FCS very much obviously. I'm definitely a fan of scheduling mostly FCS games with the occasional FBS opponent. Developing regional rivalries with fellow FCS foes is the way to go imo. It helps keep travel costs down and allows fans/alums to support the program. There's also something to be said for playing your peers. No one cares about D2 games on here...

While FCS fans like to see their teams compete against FBS opponents its not a two way street. Some of you have to realize that. These games are hated by season ticket holders and rabid fans. They don't want to pay to see them nor do they wish to subsidize your athletic department. These games are also mocked by the general media. This is obviously very much to the dismay of many on this board....

Bison56

Nothing wrong at all you are entitled to your opinion.

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Nothing wrong at all you are entitled to your opinion.

I think I'm being respectful. I get that it's contrary to most posters here.

knucklehead
November 9th, 2014, 08:27 PM
I like the fact that Liberty plans to take 2 FBS per year and no DII from here on out. Next year we have WVU and Ga St. VA Tech in 2016 and Baylor in 2017. It brings money, attention, and if you win respect. If you lose, well you were expected to. LU hung well with UNC and got quite a bit of good pub for it.

If LU ends up getting an at large, the App win will be a big part of it.

PantherRob82
November 9th, 2014, 08:29 PM

But you don't have that either. :)

knucklehead
November 9th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Oh I know. I'd guess 99% of the community here wants a FBS team each year for the chance to "prove themselves." I get it. Moglia is taking us in a different direction. What is wrong with trying to schedule and play tough FCS teams? I say nothing is wrong with that.

Or a lot of MEAC teams.

FargoBison
November 9th, 2014, 08:34 PM

Nothing would be wrong with that if you had actually scheduled tough FCS teams....

Now you all come out ripping FBS games to meet your coaches agenda. Getting old coming from a school that played nobody.

rokamortis
November 9th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Or a lot of MEAC teams.

What's that saying about those living in glass houses? I know you guys think your schedule is the tits - but it isn't.

At least NCA&T and SC St > Norfolk St. And FAMU > Brevard.

taper
November 9th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Am I that poster? I get the payday and win. Coastal doesn't need it the payday. Yes we have a wealthy coach with wealthy friends. Yes, we do well in fundraiser. We have a different philosophy. Is it wrong? No. It's just different. That shouldn't preclude us though.

Yes. Nothing wrong with not scheduling FBS, just don't complain about schools that do. Winning is not necessarily a remote chance like you said. For a good team like CC that's playing with a perceived weak conference schedule, a win over even a bad FBS team might be enough to get you #1 votes this week. Not that votes matter too much, but a #4 instead of #5 seed is huge if you want to host a quarterfinal.

kalm
November 9th, 2014, 08:37 PM

Nova' performance against Syracuse.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 9th, 2014, 08:37 PM
I like the fact that Liberty plans to take 2 FBS per year and no DII from here on out. Next year we have WVU and Ga St. VA Tech in 2016 and Baylor in 2017. It brings money, attention, and if you win respect. If you lose, well you were expected to. LU hung well with UNC and got quite a bit of good pub for it.

If LU ends up getting an at large, the App win will be a big part of it.

I don't know about that. App State is a bad FBS program. The Mountaineers are destined for 5-7 overall, 4-4 in the SBC, the PFL of FBS. It might help a little bit.......

rokamortis
November 9th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Nothing would be wrong with that if you had actually scheduled tough FCS teams....

Now you all come out ripping FBS games to meet your coaches agenda. Getting old coming from a school that played nobody.

Some are ripping - but I just think it is a difference in philosophy. Playing an FBS and losing doesn't make the average FCS a stronger team. You got paid and had a shot at an upset so take the loss and move on. Now if you happen to win then it is a big feather in the cap.

The 'quality FBS loss' argument is very weak. I'd rather have an all FCS schedule and more wins - and I think you'll see the committee agree.

As for your other comment - the Big South is rated second only to the MVFC so we have our quality games there. Plus a couple of our opponents will likely be ranked at the end of the year. So it will work itself out in our favor.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 9th, 2014, 08:41 PM

That's not true.

Many NDSU fans felt that Furman was the toughest foes to visit the dome last year. It's not CCU's fault the Paladins failed to live up to expectations. They were in everyone's preseason Top 25. That was a GREAT OOC game that CCU scheduled. Even so, it's still a traditional power that's also a regional rival...

The MEAC games are also "decent" at the very least.....

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Or a lot of MEAC teams.

We had Clemson scheduled this year but got out of it for that reason. I hate that we have play a lot of MEAC teams. I'd prefer getting some better Nothern teams or Ohio Valley.

knucklehead
November 9th, 2014, 08:45 PM
What's that saying about those living in glass houses? I know you guys think your schedule is the tits - but it isn't.

At least NCA&T and SC St > Norfolk St. And FAMU > Brevard.

And UNC, Richmond, ISUb? Come on Man.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 9th, 2014, 08:47 PM
We had Clemson scheduled this year but got out of it for that reason. I hate that we have play a lot of MEAC teams. I'd prefer getting some better Nothern teams or Ohio Valley.

CCU played Colgate when the Raiders were still legitimately good....

CCU-Nova, CCU-Lehigh (like Furman we're usually good), CCU-Fordham, CCU-UNH etc would be great games. Easy airport access.....

jmrepak
November 9th, 2014, 08:47 PM
I knew I was going to upset some UNHers and CAA fans, but no one has been saying it and it needed to be said. UNH had a pretty good schedule as of two weeks ago, but now it is looking more weak on a weekly basis. It looks like you will only have one Top 25 win at year end and I believe we will have 2. Our biggest game is the last game of the year and may well boost our SoS over UNH's with Maine and Delaware ahead of you guys and Liberty and Monmouth ahead of us. As a Richmond Alum, no one hates it more than me that the Spiders dropped their game against Maine, but its a valid point that our schedule might end up being higher ranked, our championship from a higher ranked conference and we will be undefeated (assuming that we do go undefeated). Plus, Richmond narrowly beat Liberty in overtime and you guys only beat the Spiders by a FG with a last minute TD to take the lead. That's not exactly a huge blow out win over a non-common opponent.

I truly believe that if we #TCOB that we will have a better case for #2 than UNH. I don't know that we'll get it based on legacy, but I do think they we would have earned it over the Wildcats.

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Yes. Nothing wrong with not scheduling FBS, just don't complain about schools that do. Winning is not necessarily a remote chance like you said. For a good team like CC that's playing with a perceived weak conference schedule, a win over even a bad FBS team might be enough to get you #1 votes this week. Not that votes matter too much, but a #4 instead of #5 seed is huge if you want to host a quarterfinal.
I haven't complained about any school that does. My "issue" is that people on here think you need to schedule, play and lose to a FBS team for you to have a strong SoS or to be take seriously. Coastal has a vision and that means no longer scheduling FBS teams. That's our path and we shouldn't be discounted because of it.

Now, playing a weak FCS schedule, yes. I get it. We're into the first season of no FBS games, so give us a chance.

Btw, last season, many of you thought CCU couldn't hang with Montana and didn't deserve to be in the playoffs.

- - - Updated - - -

CCU played Colgate when the Raiders were still legitimately good....

CCU-Nova, CCU-Lehigh (like Furman we're usually good), CCU-UNH etc would be great games. Easy airport access.....

I remember the Colgate game. And agree with those others. I'd like to see us play a Gateway team.

rokamortis
November 9th, 2014, 08:49 PM
And UNC, Richmond, ISUb? Come on Man.

Those are some quality losses - or used to be at least.

dudeitsaid
November 9th, 2014, 08:49 PM

Finally! Somebody stumbled upon the primary reasons AD's schedule these games. xrotatehx

There are some resources on the internet to find out how any why these games are scheduled. Schools with football teams that pay the bills still schedule them to support the entire athletic budget. EWU's paycheck games went to support our entire athletics dept. And we still lost money!

Eastern’s athletic budget in 2013-14 totaled $11,469,560, the second-smallest in the Big Sky Conference. Despite sponsoring just five sports for men and seven for women and getting some big paydays for football games against schools from the Pac-12 Conference, the department still lost $68,467.

From http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/nov/04/gateway-project-still-dream-ewu/

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Some are ripping - but I just think it is a difference in philosophy. Playing an FBS and losing doesn't make the average FCS a stronger team. You got paid and had a shot at an upset so take the loss and move on. Now if you happen to win then it is a big feather in the cap.

The 'quality FBS loss' argument is very weak. I'd rather have an all FCS schedule and more wins - and I think you'll see the committee agree.

As for your other comment - the Big South is rated second only to the MVFC so we have our quality games there. Plus a couple of our opponents will likely be ranked at the end of the year. So it will work itself out in our favor.

Again, how "strong" is Charleston Southern? They had a "good" loss against Vanderbilt and then the following week they lost focus and lost to Presby. It's all perspective.

Honestly, I get the criticism. I agree, to a point, that Coastal has yet to be truly tested. We were finally tested last season and did well against Montana. THis time, we have a better record and, at the risk of being homer, I see us going 12-0.

jmrepak
November 9th, 2014, 08:53 PM
It was confirmed by a source in our Athletic Dept. that we would have only played 2 MEAC teams, both of which are tied for the top spot of that conference and in the top 40, if we didn't drop the Clemson game. The only game we could pickup when we dropped the Tigers was FAMU. It wasn't ideal, but it was a late decision and we had to go with it if we wanted an all FCS schedule. Hopefully, we won't see that weak of a schedule again in the future. Plus, name one person that would have bet on Furman being 2-8 or the Citadel at 4-6 at this point when schedules would have been contracted 2-3 years ago.

FargoBison
That's not true.

Many NDSU fans felt that Furman was the toughest foes to visit the dome last year. It's not CCU's fault the Paladins failed to live up to expectations. They were in everyone's preseason Top 25. That was a GREAT OOC game that CCU scheduled. Even so, it's still a traditional power that's also a regional rival...

The MEAC games are also "decent" at the very least.....

I get it Furman tanked and nobody could predict that, but that is one tough game and they play in the Big South conference. Call up the CAA or OVC, there are good teams in other leagues. If CCU wants respect they should diversify in non-conference. The MEAC is one of the worst conferences to schedule if you are looking for schedule credibility and they played three from that conference alone.

That was a below average schedule even with Furman being decent.

MarkCCU
Finally! Somebody stumbled upon the primary reasons AD's schedule these games. xrotatehx

There are some resources on the internet to find out how any why these games are scheduled. Schools with football teams that pay the bills still schedule them to support the entire athletic budget. EWU's paycheck games went to support our entire athletics dept. And we still lost money!

From http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/nov/04/gateway-project-still-dream-ewu/

There's a reason The Citadel was playing big teams before and during the renovation of Johnson Hagood. There's a reason CSU is playing 2 FBS teams this season and then upgrading the stadium without going into debt. Of course it's money! Lol/

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 08:54 PM
It was confirmed by a source in our Athletic Dept. that we would have only played 2 MEAC teams, both of which are tied for the top spot of that conference and in the top 40, if we didn't drop the Clemson game. The only game we could pickup when we dropped the Tigers was FAMU. It wasn't ideal, but it was a late decision and we had to go with it if we wanted an all FCS schedule. Hopefully, we won't see that weak of a schedule again in the future. Plus, name one person that would have bet on Furman being 2-8 or the Citadel at 4-6 at this point when schedules would have been contracted 2-3 years ago.

Exactly. Furman was supposed to be the ****. Now, they are just that. No longer are SoCon teams, the strong teams to play and beat.

dudeitsaid
November 9th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Nova' performance against Syracuse.

Bam! Point proven. Even better, how about a close loss against a strong FBS team.

The McNeese loss likely did more for that team in regards to notoriety and recruiting that any win against the lower half of the FCS.

In my business, we talk about the power of marketing. And when you get "free" press, it's invaluable. McNeese got PAID for that.

Not saying it's right or wrong to do it either way. But scheduling FBS teams isn't a bad deal in many cases.

FargoBison
November 9th, 2014, 08:57 PM

4-6 for Citadel sounds about like their typical season.

rokamortis
November 9th, 2014, 08:58 PM

And those teams should take it for what it is, a paycheck. But when fans start to try to use it as an argument for schedule strength it becomes very weak. Like the Liberty poster referencing UNC as a form of their strong schedule. They played a money game and lost by 35 points, I don't really see how that indicates that we should give any more respect to Liberty. If they lost close, maybe - but even then a stretch. They traded a loss for cash - no more, no less.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 9th, 2014, 08:58 PM
And those teams should take it for what it is, a paycheck. But when fans start to try to use it as an argument for schedule strength it becomes very weak. Like the Liberty poster referencing UNC as a form of their strong schedule. They played a money game and lost by 35 points, I don't really see how that indicates that we should give any more respect to Liberty. If they lost close, maybe - but even then a stretch. They traded a loss for cash - no more, no less.

Absolutely 100% correct.....

dudeitsaid
November 9th, 2014, 09:04 PM

I agree with this. It is about the payday. If you happen to be competitive, or win...Bonus! But your right, I don't think a blowout loss to an FBS team can or should be used to somehow justify that team is better than another because of it.

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 09:10 PM

But..but..if you don't play to a FBS team how could you ever expect to compete for a championship?!?!?!?!?!

jmrepak
November 9th, 2014, 09:11 PM
I get it Furman tanked and nobody could predict that, but that is one tough game and they play in the Big South conference. Call up the CAA or OVC, there are good teams in other leagues. If CCU wants respect they should diversify in non-conference. The MEAC is one of the worst conferences to schedule if you are looking for schedule credibility and they played three from that conference alone.

That was a below average schedule even with Furman being decent.
We've been able to schedule OVC a couple of times with a home and home with EKU the last two years, but CAA teams just don't seem to have an appetite to schedule us. In one of our worst years ever, 2010, we scheduled Towson (our longest game ever @ 5 overtimes) for the third time in a row and a one time trip to Richmond, but haven't been able to book one since. The Elon game from this year was booked when they were SoCon.

The belief is that our schedule next year will include WIU (MVFC), WCU (SoCon), SCSU (MEAC Champ maybe?), and a hopefully improved Furman. That's next year, but it was to prove that we aren't sandbagging our schedules. It just didn't work out this year.

taper
November 9th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Just for some history, here are the recent top 4 playoff seeds that had an FBS win:
2009: 2, 4
2010: none
2011: 1, 2
2012: 1, 2
2013: 1, 2, 3

Definite pattern if you're looking at a top seed, and it's not just the roll NDSU's been on.

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 09:13 PM
We've been able to schedule OVC a couple of times with a home and home with EKU the last two years, but CAA teams just don't seem to have an appetite to schedule us. In one of our worst years ever, 2010, we scheduled Towson (our longest game ever @ 5 overtimes) for the third time in a row and a one time trip to Richmond, but haven't been able to book one since. The Elon game from this year was booked when they were SoCon.

The belief is that our schedule next year will include WIU (MVFC), WCU (SoCon), SCSU (MEAC Champ maybe?), and a hopefully improved Furman. That's next year, but it was to prove that we aren't sandbagging our schedules. It just didn't work out this year.

We had to scramble to replace Clemson. But seriously, if anyone on here saw Furman imploding and WCU kicking ass, they are a liar.

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Just for some history, here are the recent top 4 playoff seeds that had an FBS win:

Definite pattern if you're looking at a top seed, and it's not just the roll NDSU's been on.

2009 and 2010 are interesting.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 9th, 2014, 09:16 PM

2009 was an interesting year. FCS only had 5 wins over FBS teams, 4 of the teams that pulled it off were CAA teams. One of those, Villanova, beat Temple in one of the rare FCS vs FBS rivalry games.

#4 Richmond beat Duke and was also the defending national champ.....

CasualFan
November 9th, 2014, 09:17 PM
I'm glad I'm not a huge FBS fan. Imagine all this discussion without a real playoff to decide things on the field. That little four team thing doesn't quite count in my book. Although I'll admit its an improvement.

Since I'm new here, anyone mind telling me if this is fairly typical? Or will the discussion get more intense the closer we get to selection day?

taper
November 9th, 2014, 09:19 PM
2009 and 2010 are interesting.
Especially 2010. Seeds 2 and 4 lost their first game, and 1 lost the quarters. Maybe the committee just missed it that year.

Bison56
November 9th, 2014, 09:19 PM
I agree with this. It is about the payday. If you happen to be competitive, or win...Bonus! But your right, I don't think a blowout loss to an FBS team can or should be used to somehow justify that team is better than another because of it.

I second this.

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 09:20 PM
I'm glad I'm not a huge FBS fan. Imagine all this discussion without a real playoff to decide things on the field. That little four team thing doesn't quite count in my book. Although I'll admit its an improvement.

Since I'm new here, anyone mind telling me if this is fairly typical? Or will the discussion get more intense the closer we get to selection day?

Welcome. The discussion ramps up. Are you a current student?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 9th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Especially 2010. Seeds 2 and 4 lost their first game, and 1 lost the quarters. Maybe the committee just missed it that year.

Villanova was one of the 4 best teams that year. They battled injuries all year and still kicked major butt. The fact they, as defending champs, didn't get a home game was absurd. Instead they were sent to Texas, then App State and then finally EWU....

Engineer86
November 9th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Those are some quality losses - or used to be at least.
Hanging quite a bit on Richmond loss to Maine aren't you. How much weight do you want to pu on their win over Nova?

Engineer86
November 9th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Exactly. Furman was supposed to be the ****. Now, they are just that. No longer are SoCon teams, the strong teams to play and beat.

Ok you could not have predicted teams with history would not be good this year, and you did beat them. But don't try to then point to them as being the basis for a strong schedule. You are undefeated because the teams you played this year were not that good this year.

Southern Bison
November 9th, 2014, 09:47 PM
MarkCCU,

I've watched 2 CCU games this season in person, at Furman & at Charlotte. I tailgated with CCU fans & parents last weekend and congratulated a few of your players on a good game. We talked playoff picture and as of 4 pm ET on Saturday, I believe CCU is anywhere from a 4-6 seed. The Chants fumbled twice in the red zone & gave up a KO return for a TD against a 2nd-year program that has no business moving to FBS next year. They won like they should have, but with some critical mistakes throughout the game that against a FCS playoff team would prove fatal.

In the Furman game, I felt that you let them back into the game. Against what is now a 2-8 team, there was no way they should've taken you to 2OT. I was at the Furman/Gardner-Webb game when they lost their QB for the year and I knew at that point that my SoCon AQ pick was toast.

Yes, CCU has a very good program and Moglia is a very strong coach, but I still don't see the on-field performance of an elite FCS program...yet.

I expect to see CCU host a 2nd round & quarterfinal round game in Conway and if life allows, I'll be there to watch.

superman7515
November 9th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Conference SOS:
Missouri Valley - 110.8
Big Sky - 161.76
Ohio Valley - 162
Southland - 174
Big South - 179.83
CAA - 180.08
SoCon - 188.71
NEC - 199
Patriot - 200.43
Ivy - 205
MEAC - 220.09
SWAC - 238.6
PFL - 244.27

Now, that can be skewed if you have a team like Presbyterian who is 40 points stronger than anyone else in the conference thanks to playing 3 FBS teams, or a team like Mercer who is 40 points lower than anyone else in the conference thanks to playing multiple sub-D1 teams, so dropping the high and low...

MVFC - 111
OVC - 159.86
SoCon - 161.17
Big Sky - 162.73
Southland - 176.11
CAA - 181.4
Big South - 182.75
Patriot - 199.4
NEC - 204
Ivy - 207
MEAC - 220.33
SWAC - 238.25
PFL - 244.67

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Ok you could not have predicted teams with history would not be good this year, and you did beat them. But don't try to then point to them as being the basis for a strong schedule. You are undefeated because the teams you played this year were not that good this year.

Actually, it was obvious that the conference as a whole was going to have a rough go of it.

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 10:55 PM
MarkCCU,

I've watched 2 CCU games this season in person, at Furman & at Charlotte. I tailgated with CCU fans & parents last weekend and congratulated a few of your players on a good game. We talked playoff picture and as of 4 pm ET on Saturday, I believe CCU is anywhere from a 4-6 seed. The Chants fumbled twice in the red zone & gave up a KO return for a TD against a 2nd-year program that has no business moving to FBS next year. They won like they should have, but with some critical mistakes throughout the game that against a FCS playoff team would prove fatal.

In the Furman game, I felt that you let them back into the game. Against what is now a 2-8 team, there was no way they should've taken you to 2OT. I was at the Furman/Gardner-Webb game when they lost their QB for the year and I knew at that point that my SoCon AQ pick was toast.

Yes, CCU has a very good program and Moglia is a very strong coach, but I still don't see the on-field performance of an elite FCS program...yet.

I expect to see CCU host a 2nd round & quarterfinal round game in Conway and if life allows, I'll be there to watch.

Agreed. Furman shouldn't have given a hard time. But, we are tightening the screws, striking early and making the most out of each play.

And btw, you'll notice I haven't once said CCU should be #1.

robsnotes4u
November 10th, 2014, 01:02 AM

New Hampshire
Sagarin ranking in FCS 5
Sagarin SOS in FCS 60
Biggest win Richmond ranked 20th by Sagarin
Four wins over teams with winning records

Coastal Carolina
Sagarin ranking in FCS 9
Sagarin SOS in FCS 76
Biggest win Charleston So ranked 38th by Sagarin
Three wins against teams with with winning records

MTfan4life
November 10th, 2014, 01:47 AM
New Hampshire
Sagarin ranking
Sagarin SOS
Sagarin

Coastal Carolina
Sagarin ranking
Sagarin SOS
Sagarin

So. Much. Sagarin.

I think you'd be better off using Ask Jeeves. ;)

rokamortis
November 10th, 2014, 02:02 AM
So. Much. Sagarin.

hah!

Sagarin is one rating and people treat him like gospel. I think he is decent but I'm not sure his SOS includes non-DI teams.

We could all pick and choose the data we want that would make our team look the best. That's why I like the composite rankings. It helps reduce any bias in any one tool by getting many different points of view. It currently only has about half of the data sets (23) but this should give an idea of what it will look like with the potential for minor shifting.

1 - NDSU
2 - Ill St
3 - Jax St
4 - CCU
5 - Nova
6 - UNI
7 - UNH
8 - SDSU
9 - UTC
10 - EWU

Conferences
1 - MVFC
2 - Big South
3 - CAA
4 - Southern
5 - Big Sky
6 - Southland
7 - OVC
8 - Patriot
9 - NEC
10 - Ivy
11 - FCS Ind (UNCC)
12 - MEAC
13 - SWAC
14 - Pioneer

I think we should remove FCS Ind / UNCC from the list but I included it for completeness.

rokamortis
November 10th, 2014, 02:05 AM
Hanging quite a bit on Richmond loss to Maine aren't you. How much weight do you want to pu on their win over Nova?

It was more just a jab at Liberty xlolx

I think they have lost some luster but I'll still consider them good until the final results in 2 Saturdays.

rokamortis
November 10th, 2014, 02:16 AM
MarkCCU,

I've long held that CCU is a really good team that has the potential to be great - but not quite there yet. Early on we made critical mistakes (mostly turnovers) and our offense took a while to get going. We are starting to hit our stride though. We did make a few bonehead mistakes on Saturday after our team went up big and our OC is pissed. He said he couldn't believe that we left so many points on the field and made some fundamental mistakes. We also let up too early on UNCC - they kept their starters in the entire game while we started heavily rotating subs in the 3rd quarter and cleared the bench in the 4th. I think Ross is finally getting back to form after breaking in a host of new wideouts.

I don't think we are NDSU level, but I don't think we aren't far off from the rest of the top teams in discussion.

jmrepak
November 10th, 2014, 05:56 AM
New Hampshire
Sagarin ranking in FCS 5
Sagarin SOS in FCS 60
Biggest win Richmond ranked 20th by Sagarin
Four wins over teams with winning records

Coastal Carolina
Sagarin ranking in FCS 9
Sagarin SOS in FCS 76
Biggest win Charleston So ranked 38th by Sagarin
Three wins against teams with with winning records

Rankings are based on today, and today I believe UNH should be slightly ahead of Coastal. However, if both teams win out UNH most likely won't drop below CCU. It could happen, but it is doubtful. However, let's use your stats and assume both teams win out:

-I can't really know where the composite rankings will be in 2 weeks, but by comparison Sag is one model and Massey is a composite that as of this morning has Coastal 4 and UNH 7. That will change, but it's the best I can pull until it is updated.

-At the end of week 13, should both teams win out out Coastal's SOS may very well jump UNH's as they are very close together and per his system Coastal has a 192 and 110 ahead of us and UNH has a 182 and 183.

-Coastal's biggest win would be over a higher ranked Liberty assuming they beat CSU and we win out. They are already ahead of Richmond on Sagarin as well at 18 in FCS.

-Wins against 4 teams with winning records is the best UNH will most likely do. Maine will have a losing record at year end if they lose to UNH and Delaware would have to beat Nova to be over .500 if UNH is to beat the Hens. That's possible but not likely. Liberty will have a winning record at year end and Monmouth has to beat GW at year end to be above .500 which is likely. That means it is likely for CCU to have 5 wins over teams with winning records and UNH to have 4.

The reason I keep bringing this up is that I can already see the scenario above playing out. If it does, Coastal's resume would look slightly better than UNH's, and they should be looked at for the higher spot in the polls and seeding. I doubt CCU gets it, but if all of this falls into place on Nov. 22 they should.

UNH Fanboi
November 10th, 2014, 06:20 AM
I knew I was going to upset some UNHers and CAA fans, but no one has been saying it and it needed to be said. UNH had a pretty good schedule as of two weeks ago, but now it is looking more weak on a weekly basis. It looks like you will only have one Top 25 win at year end and I believe we will have 2. Our biggest game is the last game of the year and may well boost our SoS over UNH's with Maine and Delaware ahead of you guys and Liberty and Monmouth ahead of us. As a Richmond Alum, no one hates it more than me that the Spiders dropped their game against Maine, but its a valid point that our schedule might end up being higher ranked, our championship from a higher ranked conference and we will be undefeated (assuming that we do go undefeated). Plus, Richmond narrowly beat Liberty in overtime and you guys only beat the Spiders by a FG with a last minute TD to take the lead. That's not exactly a huge blow out win over a non-common opponent.

I truly believe that if we #TCOB that we will have a better case for #2 than UNH. I don't know that we'll get it based on legacy, but I do think they we would have earned it over the Wildcats.

Who are you counting as CCU's two Top 25 wins? Liberty and ...? Let's have this discussion in two weeks. If UNH looks mediocre against Maine and Delaware and CCU dominates Liberty, you might have a case. As it stands now, CCU's signature win hasn't even happened yet.

rokamortis
November 10th, 2014, 06:36 AM
Who are you counting as CCU's two Top 25 wins? Liberty and ...? Let's have this discussion in two weeks. If UNH looks mediocre against Maine and Delaware and CCU dominates Liberty, you might have a case. As it stands now, CCU's signature win hasn't even happened yet.

I see what jmr is saying but really we have to wait for the end results to have a concrete discussion. Too much uncertainty in college football. We each have 2 games left that we should win, but also know that those teams could ding us. Teams play up to beat highly ranked teams - so hopefully that doesn't happen and we can see how jmr's scenario plays out. If it does, I think UNH would probably edge Coastal even if the numbers say different because of their reputation and how they played last year in the playoffs.

jmrepak
November 10th, 2014, 06:37 AM
No doubt we have to beat Monmouth and Liberty for what I've said to even matter, but it's still relevant for discussion purposes. Like I said in my last post, as of right now UNH should be ahead of Coastal, but if they both win out Coastal's resume will be a little stronger than the Wildcats' and they should be #2 at that point but not before.

To answer your question though I am looking at NC A&T to crack the top 25 at year end.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 10th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Weird. Coastal and UNH are acting like they are vultures fighting over the carcass of a dead Bison. Hardly.

I look forward to more conversations about bubble teams. Lots of 8-2, 7-3, 6-4 teams out there. Add the number of D1 wins and the drama gets even juicier like always.

My prediction: Some undeserving teams will make it on record while better, more talented teams are left out - maybe Idaho St., Cal Poly, SIU or dare I say UNI? You can only beat who is on your schedule and vice versa!

WileECoyote06
November 10th, 2014, 07:23 AM
So. Much. Sagarin.

AGS won't let me give you another rep point; so i'm telling you. lol

blackbeard
November 10th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Weird. Coastal and UNH are acting like they are vultures fighting over the carcass of a dead Bison. Hardly.

I look forward to more conversations about bubble teams. Lots of 8-2, 7-3, 6-4 teams out there. Add the number of D1 wins and the drama gets even juicier like always.

My prediction: Some undeserving teams will make it on record while better, more talented teams are left out - maybe Idaho St., Cal Poly, SIU or dare I say UNI? You can only beat who is on your schedule and vice versa!

CCU yes, UNH not so much. 18 pages of CCU fans trying to tear down other conferences as they hope to avoid a #4 or #5 seed and have to play NDSU before the finals. This forum won't be setting the bracket.

jmrepak
November 10th, 2014, 09:05 AM
CCU yes, UNH not so much. 18 pages of CCU fans trying to tear down other conferences as they hope to avoid a #4 or #5 seed and have to play NDSU before the finals. This forum won't be setting the bracket.
It's only really me poking holes in UNH's schedule, but I'm also just pointing out the facts. I've backed it up with several data points and scenarios. I've also stated clearly that my analysis is based on both teams winning out. If either team drops one the whole discussion becomes obsolete. However, will it be enough time for the impact of their dropping SoS to impact the voters and external perspective if I wait to raise these points until the morning of selection?

I thought it was worth discussing considering we only have two weeks left and this is a forum after all? Am I only supposed to say good things about CAA, MVFC and Big Sky teams and conferences? I must have missed that in the rules.

dystopiamembrane
November 10th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Top five by computer ranking system
As many of you know, Massey and Sagarin use score difference in their calculations.

Kenneth Massey
1. North Dakota State
2. Illinois State
3. Northern Iowa
4. South Dakota State
5. Jacksonville State

Jeff Sagarin
1. North Dakota State
2. Jacksonville State
3. Illinois State
4. Northern Iowa
5. New Hampshire

Peter Wolfe
1. Coastal Carolina
2. North Dakota State
3. Jacksonville State
4. New Hampshire
5. Illinois State

Composite (http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm)
1. North Dakota State
2. Illinois State
3. Jacksonville State
4. Coastal Carolina
5. Northern Iowa

MarkCCU
November 10th, 2014, 09:36 AM
I've long held that CCU is a really good team that has the potential to be great - but not quite there yet. Early on we made critical mistakes (mostly turnovers) and our offense took a while to get going. We are starting to hit our stride though. We did make a few bonehead mistakes on Saturday after our team went up big and our OC is pissed. He said he couldn't believe that we left so many points on the field and made some fundamental mistakes. We also let up too early on UNCC - they kept their starters in the entire game while we started heavily rotating subs in the 3rd quarter and cleared the bench in the 4th. I think Ross is finally getting back to form after breaking in a host of new wideouts.

I don't think we are NDSU level, but I don't think we aren't far off from the rest of the top teams in discussion.

Our offense seems to start off slow, it's frustrating to watch. But Ross, once he gets on a roll, he can be on fire.

rokamortis
November 10th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Top five by computer ranking system
As many of you know, Massey and Sagarin use score difference in their calculations.

Kenneth Massey
1. North Dakota State
2. Illinois State
3. Northern Iowa
4. South Dakota State
5. Jacksonville State

Jeff Sagarin
1. North Dakota State
2. Jacksonville State
3. Illinois State
4. Northern Iowa
5. New Hampshire

Peter Wolfe
1. Coastal Carolina
2. North Dakota State
3. Jacksonville State
4. New Hampshire
5. Illinois State

Why pick 3? Massey composite has 33 as of this morning. It'll also integrate the polls later.

MarkCCU
November 10th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Rankings are based on today, and today I believe UNH should be slightly ahead of Coastal. However, if both teams win out UNH most likely won't drop below CCU. It could happen, but it is doubtful. However, let's use your stats and assume both teams win out:

-I can't really know where the composite rankings will be in 2 weeks, but by comparison Sag is one model and Massey is a composite that as of this morning has Coastal 4 and UNH 7. That will change, but it's the best I can pull until it is updated.

-At the end of week 13, should both teams win out out Coastal's SOS may very well jump UNH's as they are very close together and per his system Coastal has a 192 and 110 ahead of us and UNH has a 182 and 183.

-Coastal's biggest win would be over a higher ranked Liberty assuming they beat CSU and we win out. They are already ahead of Richmond on Sagarin as well at 18 in FCS.

-Wins against 4 teams with winning records is the best UNH will most likely do. Maine will have a losing record at year end if they lose to UNH and Delaware would have to beat Nova to be over .500 if UNH is to beat the Hens. That's possible but not likely. Liberty will have a winning record at year end and Monmouth has to beat GW at year end to be above .500 which is likely. That means it is likely for CCU to have 5 wins over teams with winning records and UNH to have 4.

The reason I keep bringing this up is that I can already see the scenario above playing out. If it does, Coastal's resume would look slightly better than UNH's, and they should be looked at for the higher spot in the polls and seeding. I doubt CCU gets it, but if all of this falls into place on Nov. 22 they should.

This. Well said .

dystopiamembrane
November 10th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Why pick 3? Massey composite has 33 as of this morning. It'll also integrate the polls later.
Those are the three with which most folks are familiar. I have added the composite rankings to my post.

Composite (http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm)
1. North Dakota State
2. Illinois State
3. Jacksonville State
4. Coastal Carolina
5. Northern Iowa

rokamortis
November 10th, 2014, 09:41 AM

As he said, one guy is disecting UNH's schedule but I don't think he's being disrespectful. It is one scenario and it should be on the table. I personally think we should wait to see how things shake out before we discuss it. I feel like UNH should be ahead of Coastal now, and have stated it previously, so I think your summation is way off base.

MarkCCU
November 10th, 2014, 09:44 AM

We must be reading a different thread because I haven't seen a single person tear down other another conference. It's been 18 pages of great, respectful, logical discussion.

Maybe that's just me.

WileECoyote06
November 10th, 2014, 09:45 AM

I agree, with the caveat that there are always better, more talented teams being left out. It does not mean that the teams that are in are undeserving. The committee to my knowledge has not started awarding at-large bids to 6 loss teams. All of the invited teams are deserving, both by their W/L record and by their performance achieving that W/L record.

MarkCCU
November 10th, 2014, 09:46 AM
It's only really me poking holes in UNH's schedule, but I'm also just pointing out the facts. I've backed it up with several data points and scenarios. I've also stated clearly that my analysis is based on both teams winning out. If either team drops one the whole discussion becomes obsolete. However, will it be enough time for the impact of their dropping SoS to impact the voters and external perspective if I wait to raise these points until the morning of selection?

I thought it was worth discussing considering we only have two weeks left and this is a forum after all? Am I only supposed to say good things about CAA, MVFC and Big Sky teams and conferences? I must have missed that in the rules.

No, you are tearing down others to build yourself up. Apparently. I don't know.

Waiter, I'll have what he's having. And make it a double.

MarkCCU
November 10th, 2014, 09:50 AM
As he said, one guy is disecting UNH's schedule but I don't think he's being disrespectful. It is one scenario and it should be on the table. I personally think we should wait to see how things shake out before we discuss it. I feel like UNH should be ahead of Coastal now, and have stated it previously, so I think your summation is way off base.

Any logical person would put UNH above Coastal. Listen, we would LOVE to be #1. But, we all are reasonable and know we aren't there yet.

Sycamore62
November 10th, 2014, 09:53 AM

Id agree about waiting till things play out but nobody plays for 5 days and we all clearly have too much free time.

knucklehead
November 10th, 2014, 09:58 AM
One way or another, I hope CCU gets to #1 by 11/22.

jmrepak
November 10th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Id agree about waiting till things play out but nobody plays for 5 days and we all clearly have too much free time.
^^^This^^^ I had way too much time on my hands yesterday on the road back from Charlotte. I'm also trying to keep myself distracted from work because I am trying to work on a complex financial model and I am a little stuck on how to proceed...

rokamortis
November 10th, 2014, 10:00 AM

Haha - very true

MarkCCU
November 10th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Haha. Yeah, well. I had a sick newborn in one arm so I had plenty of time yesterday. Now i'm just shirking my TPS reports and analyzing the WENUS.

Fordham
November 10th, 2014, 10:22 AM
this week was just brutal

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 10th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Many of the CCU fans are basing a lot on Richmond losing at Maine and downgrading the UNH SOS and assuming that both teams winning out will give CCU an advantage. What if Richmond wins out beating JMU and W&M? Will you be ready to admit that UNH's SOS then actually gets better?

I give all the credit in the world to CCU for going out to Montana last year in the playoffs and winning in that climate and loud crowd. But sometimes during a league season, a little letdown after a huge win combined with a long trip to a colder climate is the recipe for defeat. Just different dynamics in the regular season especially when you have eight league games!

kalm
November 10th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Many of the CCU fans are basing a lot on Richmond losing at Maine and downgrading the UNH SOS and assuming that both teams winning out will give CCU an advantage. What if Richmond wins out beating JMU and W&M? Will you be ready to admit that UNH's SOS then actually gets better?

I give all the credit in the world to CCU for going out to Montana last year in the playoffs and winning in that climate and loud crowd. But sometimes during a league season, a little letdown after a huge win combined with a long trip to a colder climate is the recipe for defeat. Just different dynamics in the regular season especially when you have eight league games!

That was a nice win against an ok Montana team and proved they belonged in last years playoffs.

That is all.

rokamortis
November 10th, 2014, 10:36 AM
That was a nice win against an ok Montana team and proved they belonged in last years playoffs.

That is all.

Last year is last year and really has no bearing on this year. But we did beat #8 seeded Montana by more points than EWU did xnodx

rokamortis
November 10th, 2014, 10:39 AM

That's why we have to let things shake out. So many different things can happen. But if you compare our schedules, the only significant differentiator is that UNH lost to Toledo. Looking at the FCS teams they are remarkably similar. You have a bad RI team, we have FAMU. A lot of those CAA games are similar to most of our Big South or top two MEAC games.

MarkCCU
November 10th, 2014, 10:40 AM

Last year is moot. And to your question, yes CCU fans will admit a strong SoS for UNH in your hypothesis. Well, any reasonable fan (and that's everyone on this thread).

jmrepak
November 10th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Last year is moot. And to your question, yes CCU fans will admit a strong SoS for UNH in your hypothesis. Well, any reasonable fan (and that's everyone on this thread).
I would admit that it helps your SoS. It will really depend on how Richmond and Liberty stack up in the final week to determine who had the overall highest signature win.

I know its hard to believe, but I pull for the Richmond winning out scenario. My heart is and has always been with Coastal, but I'm just as much a Spider.

PantherRob82
November 10th, 2014, 10:47 AM
It looks like UNI gets a seed if we win out. xlolx ;)

rokamortis
November 10th, 2014, 11:00 AM
It looks like UNI gets a seed if we win out. xlolx ;)

Hell, I could see the case for it. But I wonder about UNI, do you think they slip up after this? Seems like they've been a little up and down this year, albeit against good competition.

UNIFanSince1983
November 10th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Hell, I could see the case for it. But I wonder about UNI, do you think they slip up after this? Seems like they've been a little up and down this year, albeit against good competition.

Most UNI fans will tell you we fully expect to lose in Carbondale this weekend. That is a place we haven't won since 1996. Coming off two emotional victories, and SIU still fighting for their life. There is a loss coming.

PantherRob82
November 10th, 2014, 11:02 AM

I'm totally joking about the seed. We would need to win out and have a lot of the right teams blow it.

Personally, I think we blow it. Maybe I just don't want to set myself up for a let down, but I don't have faith in our OCs and if we don't let the D do its thing and play the field position game I don't see us winning in Carbondale for the first time since 96. Not worried at all about Missouri State.

clenz
November 10th, 2014, 11:02 AM
The team has actually been extremely consistent this season...with one exception - how many times we give DJ the ball.

Look at DJs touches in Ws vs Ls.

Then look at how much DJ has been touching the ball lately.

It's a damn shame it took 4 losses for our OC to figure it out

clenz
November 10th, 2014, 11:04 AM
I'm totally joking about the seed. We would need to win out and have a lot of the right teams blow it.

Personally, I think we blow it. Maybe I just don't want to set myself up for a let down, but I don't have faith in our OCs and if we don't let the D do its thing and play the field position game I don't see us winning in Carbondale for the first time since 96. Not worried at all about Missouri State.
This.

I'd put about 95% odds on SIU beating UNI this week

I don't want too, but I don't want to get excited and watch UNI let me down again

superman7515
November 10th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Well, any reasonable fan (and that's everyone on this thread).

Don't you dare put me in that category! xlolx

rokamortis
November 10th, 2014, 11:25 AM

I think there would be a case, seriously. But I'd be concerned about any hangover. I didn't realize the history with SIU but they seem to be down this year - perhaps the year to break the streak.

Sycamore62
November 10th, 2014, 11:27 AM
This.

I'd put about 95% odds on SIU beating UNI this week

I don't want too, but I don't want to get excited and watch UNI let me down again

Just like my grandpa used to tell me, "if you set your sights low enough, you will never be disappointed"

MarkCCU
November 10th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Don't you dare put me in that category! xlolx

My most humble apologies, sire.

MarkCCU
November 10th, 2014, 11:42 AM
I just want to point out something: The FCS is 8-94 against the FBS.

But that's according to the Sports Network, who knows how accurate they are. :)

rokamortis
November 10th, 2014, 11:44 AM
I just want to point out something: The FCS is 8-94 against the FBS.

But that's according to the Sports Network, who knows how accurate they are. :)

So you are saying there's a chance

UNIFanSince1983
November 10th, 2014, 01:32 PM
The team has actually been extremely consistent this season...with one exception - how many times we give DJ the ball.

Look at DJs touches in Ws vs Ls.

Then look at how much DJ has been touching the ball lately.

It's a damn shame it took 4 losses for our OC to figure it out

The one exception is the 27 touches DJ had in the loss against Indiana St.

clenz
November 10th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Yeah...

Tough to win games when you have 4 first and goals and your OC decides to throw the ball on over half the plays and are forced to settle for FGS rather than TDs

chattownmocs
November 10th, 2014, 01:42 PM
4.5 yards a carry is great when you get 4 yards 5 yards 2 yards 7 yards. Not so great when you get 35 -1 -1 2 3 -2 1 2 3 -3 7 2 4 -1 etc. Etc.There are defenses who will force the latter and not the former

Sycamore62
November 10th, 2014, 02:00 PM

he had a lot of first contact behind the line....still had some good runs

MacThor
November 11th, 2014, 01:38 PM
All this arguing over poll position. It's too bad we don't have a playoff system to settle this on the field.