PDA

View Full Version : Who has Fordham Beat to Deserve the TSN ranking?

penguinpower
November 3rd, 2014, 12:34 PM
Puzzling. They were smoked by Nova. I mean absolutely curb stomped and then they followed that up with soft wins. What is going on over there?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2014, 12:37 PM
Lehigh

Sader87
November 3rd, 2014, 12:40 PM
It is what it is....their OOC ended up being weak this year, have Army left. The PL is in a down year as it transitions to scholarships.

It's too bad too because they have a very good, Sr-laden team but other than at Nova and in a couple weeks at West Point, they really haven't been tested. They are a legit Top 15 team on any given Saturday....hard to judge how high though, agreed.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 3rd, 2014, 12:40 PM
Fordham is a legitimately talented team. Their biggest weakness is having a QB that has had terrible luck staying healthy. They, UNH and EWU are very similar teams imo. The Rams have big time skill guys, legit NFL caliber guys. I have no idea how they lost to Villanova 50-6. If that game is played in December the betting line will be close.

19 Sr. starters with playoff experience is dangerous.....

FordhamFan
November 3rd, 2014, 12:42 PM
Villanova game was 10-6 and then there was an hour and a half lightning delay. Nova came back out and proceeded to spank the living hell out of Fordham, but it was far from a normal game. Not an excuse, obviously FU's schedule is extremely light, but should be noted.

kalm
November 3rd, 2014, 12:48 PM
Also, McNeese

lionsrking2
November 3rd, 2014, 12:52 PM
Also, McNeese

McNeese was about 20 seconds away from going to OT with Nebraska, and clearly outplayed them for most of the game. While still a loss, I'd say that performance was more impressive than most FBS wins. I'm with you guys on Fordham though.

KPSUL
November 3rd, 2014, 12:56 PM
Essentially, no one worthy of much mention. Colgate is their signature win. The Patrit Conf. fans on this site seemed to be in awe of them. Maybe the Villanova game was an anomaly.

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2014, 12:59 PM
Fordham is in a unique position where if they win out they'll likely be seeded but if they lose one game, say to Bucknell, and lose the autobid I'm not sure they'd even make the playoffs. It'll give pollsters and selection committee members the validation they need to say "See? Fordham isn't nearly as good as we all thought". There's really no middle ground with their schedule as soft as it is.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 3rd, 2014, 01:00 PM
Winning AT Bucknell without Nebrich would be a quality win.

The PL tanking outside of Bucknell has done Fordham no favors in terms of SOS. Still, @ Villanova, @ Bucknell and @ Army are 3 good games. At the end of the day, it's about the players and coaches and the Rams excel in those two spots.....

Lehigh'98
November 3rd, 2014, 01:08 PM
Fordham is in a unique position where if they win out they'll likely be seeded but if they lose one game, say to Bucknell, and lose the autobid I'm not sure they'd even make the playoffs. It'll give pollsters and selection committee members the validation they need to say "See? Fordham isn't nearly as good as we all thought". There's really no middle ground with their schedule as soft as it is.

See Lehigh 2012. Possible top 6 seed, lost to Colgate, 10-1, well you know the rest........Only big difference between this year's Fordham team would be margin of victory vs. poor opponents. Fordham is blowing them out as they should be.

kalm
November 3rd, 2014, 01:31 PM
McNeese was about 20 seconds away from going to OT with Nebraska, and clearly outplayed them for most of the game. While still a loss, I'd say that performance was more impressive than most FBS wins. I'm with you guys on Fordham though.

I get that, but they have not BEAT anyone to deserve their high TSN ranking IMHO. Lots of teams have close losses to FBS and go on to have mediocre seasons. Sac. State has won a couple against Pac 12 teams IIRC.

Go Green
November 3rd, 2014, 01:50 PM
It is what it is....their OOC ended up being weak this year, have Army left. The PL is in a down year as it transitions to scholarships.

This.

Fordham could have expected Penn to be decent at the time the game was scheduled. Instead, they play what is clearly the weakest Penn team in 30 years.

It's not Fordham's fault that their competition sucked.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2014, 02:03 PM
People will change their tune when Nebrich comes back in time for the Army game and Fordham spanks them.

Admittedly their schedule has unfortunately not been that strong so far, but they are legit to me having seen them in person. I think by the end of the regular season their value won't be in doubt anymore.

lionsrking2
November 3rd, 2014, 02:13 PM
I get that, but they have not BEAT anyone to deserve their high TSN ranking IMHO. Lots of teams have close losses to FBS and go on to have mediocre seasons. Sac. State has won a couple against Pac 12 teams IIRC.

Yeah but they're not having a "mediocre" season.

Fordham
November 3rd, 2014, 02:46 PM
I think sader said it best as a defense. otherwise there isn't much more than "they were ranked 'x' last week and 3 teams right in front of them lost so they get to move up to 'y'" to rationalize why we're ranked where we're ranked. That, I guess, and how we were expected to play this year based on how we did last year and who we had coming back.

If the 'Nova game was even 1/2 way respectable we would have a good argument that the goofy game conditions made that a huge anomaly. Unfortunately we didn't, so the beat down just means that whatever poll result we get is really fine at the end of the day. All that matters is that we win this Friday to ensure our shot at the playoffs and then prove ourselves (or not) on the field in the playoffs.

ace93
November 3rd, 2014, 03:12 PM
We are ranked where we are mostly based on last year's laurels. Some of our fans question why we have been running up the score when we can, the existence of this thread answers why. Friday will be tough without Nebrich, but our season depends on it, IMO.

citdog
November 3rd, 2014, 03:25 PM
People will change their tune when Nebrich comes back in time for the Army game and Fordham spanks them.

Admittedly their schedule has unfortunately not been that strong so far, but they are legit to me having seen them in person. I think by the end of the regular season their value won't be in doubt anymore.

Why is beating hudson high a good win? They suck.

lydiabixby
November 3rd, 2014, 03:54 PM
Why is beating hudson high a good win? They suck.

Soft thee now citdog, that's GAC's alma mater (barely)

Vooter
November 3rd, 2014, 04:21 PM
I don't disagree with the original poster's question about our ranking, at least as far as SOS goes. I will say that I think the Villanova game--the beat-down, not the loss--was an anomaly. Nebrich was still nursing his reinjured knee at the time, and he really had no chance against the Wildcat pressure. I think if we had played them a week ago (before Nebrich's recent appendectomy, that is :(), the game would have been a lot closer. In any case, we may very well deserve a lower ranking, but as another poster pointed out, we just need to take care of the autobid and go from there. Hopefully, Peter Maetzold will once again fill Nebrich's shoes against Bucknell, which he did pretty admirably against Colgate.

KPSUL
November 3rd, 2014, 07:41 PM
Anyone wants to watch Fordham, they will be playing Bucknell on CBS Sports Network this Friday evening, game starts at 6:30 EST.

Fordham
November 3rd, 2014, 10:36 PM
no doy.

everyone knows

(I don't think anyone knew!)